Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Front Suspension "Thunk"

Comments

• gslav1gslav1 Member Posts: 23
    Hyundai paid for the replacement of the struts so I guess that's an admission and the went to the trouble to find a fix
    The parts No. is 54611-3K680 Front struts
    Here is the parts No. 54611-3k680 for front struts and Hyundai did pay for replacement
  • lenstanglenstang Member Posts: 68
    Wow, this is great news.
    So, they replaced only the front struts. The rears were not replaced and the noise over bumps is now not as bad. Is this right?
    I hope when I go back for my gauges they will do the same for me.
    Anyone else who gets good news please post it.
    Thanks
  • kaypeakaypea Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the info.Maybe it will come in handy sometime but not right now,for me at least. I took mine in today.Pulled up,spoke with the service manager.I explicitly told him that i wanted to go with the tech when he took the car for a ride.He said something like-well-you can sit in the waiting room and he can come and get you.About an hour and a half later the service manager comes out and says your car is ready-he checked struts,mounts,etc,-everything's OK and he drove the car and that's the way its supposed to sound. I had to get to work.But,hey-they washed my car for me.
    My dealer did that to me when I had a noise coming from the rear right side when braking. I had to insist that I go for a ride with the tech. I made him sit in the back on that side. He did hear the noise and then took off that wheel. He said he found something on the brake rotor. He had to cut the rotors. This stopped the noise.
    Your have to a little stronge with this people sometimes.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    does anyone know if the suspension issues with the sonata have been fixed or are they still present with the 2010 models???
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Some posts have been removed. Name-calling, derisive sarcasm and personal attacks aren't doing anything to further this conversation. Let's leave those things out in future posts, please.
  • espo35espo35 Member Posts: 144
    For those of you who think Hyundai knows about this "problem" and doesn't want to fix it, this is a list of Technical Service Bulletins on the '09 Sonata suspenson, taken TODAY from their intranet dealer tech-site:

SS - Suspension System (20)
    09-SS-008 STEERING GEAR BOX NOISE REPAIR 08-SS-010 TPMS (TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM) SENSOR MODE SETTING 08-SS-008 ALIGNMENT SPECIFICATIONS - 2009 MY PASSENGER VEHICLES 08-SS-005 CAUTIONS DURING TPMS (TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM) WHEEL SENSOR S 08-SS-004 DIAGNOSIS AND CORRECTION OF VEHICLE PULL 08-SS-003 TIRE AND WHEEL VIBRATION AND RADIAL FORCE VARIATION 08-SS-002-1 TPMS (TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM) TIRE PRESSURE WARNING LAMP " 07-50-004 TPMS (TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM) WARNING LAMP - ELECTROMAGNETIC 07-50-001 TPMS (TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM) TIRE PRESSURE WARNING LAMP "ON" 06-50-013 TIRE AND WHEEL VIBRATION AND RADIAL FORCE VARIATION 06-50-010-1 TIRE INFLATION PRESSURE - PDI INSPECTION 06-50-010 TIRE INFLATION PRESSURE - PDI INSPECTION 05-50-012 DIAGNOSIS AND CORRECTION OF VEHICLE PULL 04-50-005 WHEEL LUG NUT TORQUE - SERVICE TIP 03-50-003 Wheel Lug Nut Torque - Service Tip 03-50-002 Wheel Alignment Specifications 02-50-005 Alignment Specifications 02-50-004 Tire Company Assistance 01-50-008 Tire and Wheel Vibration and Radial Force Variation 08-SS-002 TPMS LAMP "ON" AT COLD - Revised See 08-SS-002-1 ST - Steering System (2)
    08-ST-001 SERVICE TIP - POWER STEERING OIL PUMP WHINE NOISE 07-50-002 PSF-4, HYUNDAI GENUINE POWER STEERING FLUID

If you'd like to see the text of any of these, let me know.
    Its nice of you to post all that but,as you obviously realize there's nothing mentioned about struts.This thread is what-17 pages long and if you read all of it(except the posts that go off topic) almost all of the talk is about that.The person who started this thread spent an amazing amount of time and effort on looking into struts,mounts,etc. and even he has come up with nothing that is conclusive for a fix.He had his struts replaced and says it was about 80 % effective in reducing noise but thinks its coming back.Someone else posted that he had his replaced and it did nothing yet someone posted recently that he did have success with struts replaced by Hyundai.There are also reports on another forum of people having success with aftermarket struts. From what I understand there was a TSB issued for 2006-07 Sonata for rear strut replacement.Which makes it hard to understand for people who have 2009s and are still having the same problems why there isn't one for 2009s.. At this point I'm just trying to figure out what my next step is.
    There may well be an issue with some '09's that I have not had yet. It could also well be that Hyundai is aware of an issue. TSB's take awhile to be issued. Once a problem is recognized, corrective procedures need to be put in place, parts made available and so on. It could take months.....if there is, indeed a "fix" in the works.

I would nicely ask again to drive with a tech. If he hears the noise and says it's normal, ask to drive with him in a like model off their lot.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    As you note there are as many "fixes" or "non-fixes" on this so-called strut issue as there are people reporting the noise in the first place. I have always contended that the severity of the issue is dependent on owner sensitivity to what may indeed be a normal "thump" that most vehicles would produce over a particular pothole bump or road imperfection. It may be that driver "A" upon hitting such a hole won't even notice something amiss but attribute any noise to the mechanical action of the suspension as it absorbs a wheel drop of 4-5-6 or more inches into a void (pothole) whereas driver "B" hitting a similar hole simply cannot understand why the car makes any noise at all. This may be simplistic but may be a reason why many report no unusual noises and some are driven insane about ......" THE NOISE" !!!!! I will tell you that I have driven many new rental vehicles over the last couple of years from a lot of manufacturers including Hyundai (Sonata, Elantra) Nissan (Versa, Altima) Ford (Fusion, Focus) Toyota (Yaris, Camry) Honda (Accord) Chevrolet (new 2010 Impala this past week-end, Malibu ) Kia (Optima) Pontiac (G-6) and probably others and none....none were silent over bad roads. They all made what I considered acceptible mechanical noises from the hard working suspension on poor secondary or inner city roads. Maybe with my being a "car guy" I am not that overexpectant about the near absence of noise from suspension parts working hard to smooth out the cratered, bombed out roads found nearly everywhere these days.
    You make some good points but you don't own one of these cars and you didn't just plunk down some money for one.I would say that,in general my car's suspension is maybe louder that usual.That,in itself is not a problem.What I hear when going over different kinds of holes-especially at slow to moderate speeds where there is less road noise is another matter.Someone described it as sounding like tennis balls bouncing around in a box and its definitely not normal or like any other car I've driven.  The other day I had to drive for about a mile over a dirt road.If you or anyone else,especially a service technician were in the car with me and heard what I heard and tried to say that what you heard was acceptable or like Honda,Ford or anything else it would stretch the imagination even if you didn't look at the odometer and see that there were 2800 miles on the car.  Peoples's tolerances and sensitivity may vary but its seems very difficult to believe that every Sonata is the same when it comes to suspensions given that some never hear anything like what i described.
    Yes, you are correct I do not currently own a Hyundai product (how you assumed that I don't know but nice guess) although in total our family has owned 4 (two Santa Fe's for me, an Elantra for my son and our daughter still owns her 2003 Elantra GT). In fact I intend to purchase a new redesigned 2011 Sonata but all that aside I am only trying to present a possible explaination why the majority of 2006-09 Sonata owners do not hear, or complain that they hear, anything abnormal. I would also have to subscribe to the idea that all Sonata are likely built equally well. The only deviance to that would be if an outside supplier/sub-contractor delivered a run of sub-standard or out of spec. parts (this has happened for several model years with Honda Civic shocks subject to early leakage). But how you could extrapolate what noise (type, or severity) a Ford/Honda/Nissan or anything else might or might not make over a given pothole as you drive over that hole in your Sonata is well beyond me. I still contend that the majority of complaints is attributable to consumer sensitivity and maybe fueled in part by posts here. After all there are those who after reading about all these suspension noises are influenced to hear something that didn't exist previously. An automotive hypochondriac so to speak. Finally, I don't absolutely positively say there is no noise...period, only that there may be more sensitivity to any noise now that this has become an issue.
    Hello The problem is not just noise from the struts, its ride quality and handling .Believe me if you had this problem you would immediately notice it !!
  • fragilemnfragilemn Member Posts: 16
    Funny you should ask, I was just visiting another Hyundai forum site today:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com

and someone just posted there about their 2010 Sonata and he was complaining about the exact same thing, the "thunk", and he only has 1800km on it.
    So according to the thread here at least that one guy got some satisfaction from Hyundai but appears they are still shipping crappy original equipment on the current model.
    But how you could extrapolate what noise (type, or severity) a Ford/Honda/Nissan or anything else might or might not make over a given pothole as you drive over that hole in your Sonata is well beyond me. I still contend that the majority of complaints is attributable to consumer sensitivity and maybe fueled in part by posts here. After all there are those who after reading about all these suspension noises are influenced to hear something that didn't exist previously. An automotive hypochondriac so to speak.

Agree.
    Yes you are correct-that seems to be the most reasonable explanation-that some supplier is delivering substandard or out of spec parts.

I'll tell you how I could extrapolate what a different model could make over a given road surface.When I drove home from when i picked up the car and got about 2 miles from where I live and the roads get a little funky here and there I noticed it immediately-that it made about 5 times the noise as my Honda Accord that I just traded in with 135,000 miles on it.The car I had before that?-Honda Accord sold with 150,000 miles on it.And I have driven the Accords over the same dirt road i mentioned previously-no comparison.Hondas tend to have noisy suspensions but,even with all those miles on them they never sounded like something was broken on like the Sonata does-that's a a big difference.Nor has any other car I've ever had.

I didn't come on here to co miserate or reinforce that I have a problem.Why would anyone want to do that? I just had a lousy experience with a dealer.I'm just trying to find out the best appraoach to trying to find a fix.

Tell you what-lets trade cars for a couple of weeks,then see how you feel about it.And its become an issue because Hyundai,so far has dropped the ball with this.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I consider myself lucky than, because I have yet to experience the so-called thunk noise from the suspension in my 06 Sonata LX. I've got over 63k miles on my car and aside from routine maintenance, has only been to the dealer for a failed mirror switch, horn and recall on brake switch. I still have my OEM tires and rear brakes on my car.
    This is a discussion about some suspension issues with Sonatas. Those who want to discuss such things are absolutely welcome to do so. Those who just want to say or imply that such issues are all in other posters' heads are not being helpful and are asked to stop.

If you can discuss a poster's symptoms with him or her in a helpful manner, you are most welcome to do so. If your primary goal is to say, in one way or another, "I think you could be imagining this", please DON'T.

Thank you.
    Now that you have driven for a while what do you think of the ride?
    Also, was it just the front struts? Did they change the rear struts as well?
    Thanks.
  • alpnglwalpnglw Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 08 Sonata Limited about 2 months ago. Tokk about a week to realize that the thunk was not "normal", and now it is driving me insane. Had the dealer (private, not Hyundai) drive it for a day. He said it sounded "normal". Took it to the Hyundai dealer and they said they could not re-create the noise. Went back to the dealer and took the tech for a ride. he said he heard the noise but said it was "normal" and that all of them sound like that. Tried to be acceptful and live with it but it is still driving me nuts. Called the Service Manager yesterday and he said that the suspension on these cars was "sporty' and therefore more noisy. Then I started on a roll and told him about all the internet posts about this and that I could not beleive that he did not know about "the problem". he said to bring it in again and they will "see what they can do". My guess is that he knows exactly what I am talking about and he hoped that I would be like most of the other folks who just live with the noise or don't realize it is abnormal, but that is NOT going to happen. I'll see what they say, but anyhting less than all new struts and mounts would be unacceptable. I'lkl pursue this as long as it takes. This is a great discussion and I wish I knew about it before getting the car. The sad part is that I love this car except for the "Thunk".
    my brother has the same "thunk" problem with his 08 sonata gls.he has gotten so frustrated with this noise that he named the car after one of his favorite groups.
    "grand thunk railroad"
    Well they replaced my gauges. However, when I spoke to the service manager again, after hyundai consumer affairs referred me back to him, he gave me the same old answers. The tech found nothing wrong. The car makes no abnormal noises. I showed him the part numbers for the redesigned struts. He said that was for the 2006 model not the 2009. I asked if I could drive a different car. He said they had no 2009 cars. I would have to drive the same year car to compare them. I said why not a 2010? They are the same. he said a regional manger would have to ok it and be there. I said ok, get in touch with him. He said he would let me know when we could do this. I guess I'll be getting no place with this.
    Have you tried driving your car with a Hyundai tech?
  • madguymadguy Member Posts: 3
    I have 2600km on my new 2010. The 'clunk' if you will, started about 3 days after purchase. I now have gear change problems. The accelerator module seems faulty. The Suspension and stalling when pulling away in first is causing me great stress (I'm not kidding!) A visit to the dealer said "no problem found" on all these. I also have the tapping from the engine - on the phone they said it was the lifters and would go away after about 1500. It's still there. There doesn't seem that there's anything to do.. I have driven stick for for 24 years (about 10 cars) never experienced this - even in old cars.
    Yes, I had done that at first. The roads around the dealership are very good.
    I really didn't find a bad stretch of road to show him what the noise was like.
    If you hit just one bump here or there it just doesn't demonstrate the sound.
    It looks to me like I'll be stuck with the problem until trade it in.
  • alpnglwalpnglw Member Posts: 2
    Took the service manager out yesterday. He acknoledged the clunk and he knew exactly what it was. He basically said it is bothersomne but it is a design problem and it is what it is. I'll follow up with the Hyundai complaint process but I've basically resigned myself to live with it until I unload it next year.....my solution...crank the radio!
    hello,i was in the market for a 2010 sonata but wasn't sure if they fixed the suspension 'thunk" issue for the 2010 model year sonata's.after reading this post here i will avoid the sonata as a future car purchase.that's the beauty of sites like this in that you can read how other people like or dislike the car that you are interested in and then go from there.
    If it was a "design problem", they'd ALL do it.

And they don't.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I wonder. I've driven a couple of dozen (at least) 2006-2009 Sonatas over the years. Only one had a suspension noise I considered unusual. It was definitely a "thunk", albeit a faint one, over large bumps like railroad crossings. It was a used 2008 car with about 24k miles on it. So why do only some Sonatas exhibit this noise?

Assuming it is a design issue, it might only manifest itself in some cars. Perhaps the design issue is in the way the suspension components fit together--the tolerances in other words. It might be hard to align the components properly at the factory. Or they are susceptible to getting out of whack after a time. But if everything is done just right at the factory, there's no problem and no unusual noise.

Here's an example of how this could work, using another well-known issue with a Hyundai. The 2001-6 Elantra is known for having an issue with front wheel "shimmy". Only some Elantras have this issue, and some don't have it initially but develop it later, e.g. when tires are rotated or rebalanced or replaced. I have personally experienced this issue on the two Elantras I owned (still have one). In each case, there was no wheel shimmy initially. But when I replaced the tires or had them rotated and rebalanced, the shimmy showed up sometimes. A careful rebalancing using a specific kind of Hunter balancing machine fixed the shimmy each time. But some owners have trouble completely eliminating the shimmy. The theory on this is the design of the Elantra makes it more susceptible to even a small out-of-balance condition on the front tires than on most other cars.
    I drive 5 or so different Sonatas every day. I've yet to hear one doing what is described here.

One noise I HAVE heard on 2006-2010 Sonatas is caused by a slightly "loose" front, lower conrol arm. I would call this more of a "click" than a "thunk", though.
    This is easily corrected by the dealership by re-torquing the mounting bolts.

I probably do this about once a month and it works for the concern I am being approached with- clicking when turning and/or accelerating with wheels turned.
  • madguymadguy Member Posts: 3
    I can't help thinking that'" once a month" so nonchalantly mentioned sems to me - somewhat excessive.. I had a toyo echo - took it out the dealer - and nothing else needed for 7 years.

Test drive with maints mgr today - ticking in engine is injector motor - who knew? - at 120 kph I can hear this in the cabin.!!
    Transmission..."seems to be a bit different.."
    suspension wasn't co-operating...!
    RESULT::
    Ordered new accelerator module (we test drove another manual car - there's a difference!!)
    Will change hydrolic clutch fluid to synthetic - "maybe air, may assist this or that..." blah blah technical... I think it's the gate or the thrust bearing
    "Will check suspension arrms bushings etc etc..."
    Fingers Crossed !!
    Well, personally speaking, with only one post "reporting" a clunk on a 2010 and this being the internet after all where anybody can write anything about any subject this one post may or may not be accurate or even a person who owns a Hyundai of any year or type I wouldn't put too much stock in it and use it to avoid purchase of a Sonata...
  • boomer20boomer20 Member Posts: 1
    There are a lot of owners with the "thunk" problem and I'm one. Like me, I think they are just disgusted with Hyundai ignoring the problem. This is my 3rd and last Hyundai. :mad:
    Define "a lot". I meet 10 Sonata owners every day and haven't had one complain so far.
    Given that you work in Hyundai service, that's a good thing indeed. However, as we've noted before, this is a discussion for those who are having the issue. So let's let people discuss it here, please.
    After they replaced my gauge cluster I spoke to the service manager that hyundai consumer affairs asked me to see about the suspension problem. I got the same old stuff from him that I had heard all along. "We found nothing wrong with the suspension. The noise is normal for the car". I asked about driving another car to compare with mine. He said he had no 2009 sonatas. I asked about driving a 2010.
    He said he couldn't do that because it wasn't the same year car. He would have to get a regional manager in to ride with us to do that. He said he would call when he could set that up. That was two weeks ago. Guess it's back to hyundai consumer affairs to see what else they might do. I don't think it will ever be fixed. I will still report what happens here.
  • vinngvinng Member Posts: 12
    Get rid of that piece of junk like I did. You are right it will never be fixed. After 3 months of driving my 2009 Sonata I stopped in at the showroom and yelled about what a piece of junk you sold me. There were a few customers in the showroom at that time and the sales manager came to me and said can we discuss this problem in my office. I told him that I made 5 trips to the service depatment and each time I was told we put in new shocks front and rear and made a couple of adjustments. I was fed up with that bull, and I told him to give me money back. He saw my frustration and how mad I was, so he said let's go for a ride in a brand new Azara he had in the show room. Wow what a difference in the ride. Right there on the spot we made a deal for a few dollars more and I have the Azara since Now 2008 and I love it. Great car, everything is smooth and quiet.
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    I am surprised you purchased another Hyundai. You were very upset about how you were being lied to and not getting the problems fixed and you went and purchased another model. Most people would steer away from the dealer and the brand. Hope you will be happy with your new car.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    I'm glad you got the vehicle you wanted, but yelling at the sales manager isn't very nice. :( Keep in mind that sometimes when they sell NEW vehicles, they aren't even aware of problems that will crop up later in that model. Also, if you came in originally shopping for a Sonata, he sold you what you asked for.

Hopefully, some of our members can find a less dramatic resolution to the problem!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• edmund2001edmund2001 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2006 Sonata LX. It's been a pretty good car except for the suspension noise. (Thunk, Thunk). I had the rear struts replaced and went through the test drives with the "it's normal" response. It's been 4 years of "living with it." I said to myself I'll get a different car next time. Now I see the 2011 model is going to be out soon. It looks nice! Before I fall for a pretty face though, I'm going to want to take a serious test drive. Ideally I'd like to test the car for 60 days ala GM, and then decide. Even a few days would be nice. How about it Hyundai?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If Hyundai sells some of those 2011 Sonatas to fleets (likely they will), that is a good way to go for an extended test drive if Hyundai doesn't offer such a thing. Might cost you $100-200, but that's a small price to pay to make sure it's the car for you. I've learned a lot about cars by living with them as rentals.
  • znarfznarf Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2008 sonata in missouri, test drove it in an area with all smooth roads. I drove it around the area I live for about a month and was happy with it, everything seemed fine. I had driven a couple other korean models as rentals in Mexico, and found them to have good suspensions, so I assumed the sonatta was ok too. Big mistake. I was driving it down to mexico when I hit some rough pavement in arkansas, and thought, this is awful! Rough, loud, something must be wrong with this thing. Then the road got better and I thought maybe it was just some really bad pavement. The next two days were ok, good roads all they way to the border of mexico in texas. After passing monterrey, even though I was on toll roads, the slightest imperfection in the road caused jarring movement and noise. A bad bump was like a punch in the gut. After many hours it just wears you out. I thought that maybe an unscrupulous dealer had sold me a car that had been wrecked, but after reading these blogs I see that that´s how these cars are. I´ve had cars with bad struts, that´s not the problem. I don´t know what it is, but it´s a nightmere down here in mexico - I don´t even want to drive it. I be back in Missouri in a few months and will sell it where the roads are smooth, if I can find a buyer. What´s strange is I´ve read a few reviews of the sonata and most of them mention a smooth ride, and on yahoo autos I didn´t find anyone complaining about the ride. I´m really disapointed, it seemed like a nice car, but rides way worse than my intrepid which is twelve years old and has 185,000 miles.
    Have you checked your tire pressure? Should be 30 lbs. Air expands when hot, about 1 lb every 10 degrees. If your air pressure was set in Missouri when it was 50 F and now you're in Mexico at 90F, your tires will be around 35 lbs. and you will absolutely notice the difference in ride quality, especially on rough roads.
  • znarfznarf Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the tip, I did check the tires and they were a little high. But then I lowered them to a few pounds below the recomended cold pressure, and drove another six hundred miles, and it wasn't much better. These cars have a problem. I'll take it to hyundai when I get back to the states, but judging from these blogs, that will be a waste of time. Fortunately, I have a pair of noise canceling headphones, they help with the noise....
    After having no luck with the dealer I bought the car from I decided to try another dealer in the area.This time the service manager knew right away what I was talking about with the thunk sound.He even mentioned online forums like this one without me even bring it up.He also told me before even looking at the car or driving it that replacing struts is no guarantee-not too reassuring.He also asked me where the noise was coming from and I told him mainly from the passenger side front.

A tech drove the car and they wound up replacing the front passenger side strut-that's all they would go for.The car still makes more noises than I would like when going over various holes and ruts in the road but at least that annoyoing rattle where it sounded like something was broken or loose is gone for now and the car does ride somewhat better.
  • liambarrliambarr Member Posts: 1
    Interesting...Hyundai has just issued TSB 09-SS-010 for the Elantra.

SUBJECT: Front Strut Noise.

DESCRIPTION: Some Elantra, & Elantra Touring vehicles may exhibit a noise originating from the front struts when passing over bumps or dips at speeds of 10 - 16 mph.

The fix is the addition or replacement of the "Bumper Stopper"; PN 54626-27000FFF in the front strut assemblies.

Let's see if they issue anything similar addressing the Sonata noise issue. I won't hold my breath!
  • ken106ken106 Member Posts: 3
    Steven, I am not sure about the 2009 model, but I own a 2010 and have had the car in because of a front suspension "thunk" noise. The dealer said nothing was wrong with is, however the noise still exists. I am now guessing it is just the suspension design.
    I have a 2009 Sonata. I have had it in many times for suspension noise. I even started a case with hyundai consumer affairs. They ended by saying that if the service people can't duplicate the noise, if they say " it's normal for the car", there is nothing they will do. I have posted here many times since I own this car. I can see that with all I have done and all that everyone who has this noise has done that Hyundai is going to do nothing about these cars. I hope people read these posts and see that if you have a problem with a hyundai you are out of luck. I wouldn't buy another one for half price.