Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Blazer Jimmy 4WD Questions

Comments

• aubreydaubreyd Member Posts: 7
    Just to had a question to your checks.When I checked the purge canister under the hood I found that it was about half full of hyd oil. Any idea where it accumulate from and what would be the fix?Nobody I've talked to so far has any idea including the local GM dealer.
  • maurerush2112maurerush2112 Member Posts: 9
    was it trans oil or motor oil? if it was motor oil, I could see possible reasons for that. is your transmission at proper level of fluid when it is hot? if it was over filled you might have certain problems with that. is it a good runner, or does she have a few miles on her? does it smoke or use oil?
    if the trans is seriously over filled, or you are experiencing "blow by" in the engine, you could point finger in that general direction.
    I've seen oil in vacuum lines before, but usually the trans level, or oil level was too high , or blow by existed because of either worn engine, or non-maintenance of emission systems
  • aubreydaubreyd Member Posts: 7
    It was deffinitly tranny oil. Oil levels are all good It has 250,000 kms but other than a few electrical problems it is a good runner. I try to keep everything well maintained but sometimes we get busy and maint schedules slide.
  • zenebisiszenebisis Member Posts: 2
    yes, no fuse means no cruise... check the wires for the ABS on the new bearings, this is what causes that ABS problem... I had it twice, once before replacing the bearings and the 2nd time I had a broken wire leading to the ABS box... you may need to pass a dealer to have the computer reset on the ABS once this is fixed... good luck.. BTW if the bearing are not GM AC delco this can also be your problem, the first set of bearing I got, just didn't work with the ABS system and had to be replaced a 2nd time.
  • zenebisiszenebisis Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 blazer LT with the 4wd, only i don't have the buttons to swap from 2 to 4 wheel... I wanted to know if this option can be added and what changes would have to be made to do so? anybody done this already?
  • chevyride22chevyride22 Member Posts: 10
    My 1995 Chevy S-10 Blazer will not go into 4WD. The 4WD is electonic with a button for 2H, 4H, and 4L. When you hit the 4H button, the light comes on and you can hear the relay in the control module in the dash activate. I can also hear the tranfer case motor engage. The drive shaft to the front differential is also engaged. I have replaced the vacuum switch on top of the transfer case (ball inside was sticking). I am not getting vacuum to the vacuum diaphram actuator located under the battery tray. This is what engages the 4WD. I have checked all vacuum hoses for breaks or kinks. Where does the vacuum hose go after it leaves the actuator? It appears to go in behind the motor on the back leftside as you face the motor, but cannot see where it connects. Does anyone have or know where I can get electrical and vacuum diagrams of the 4WD system?
    Are there any other items that can be checked? Thanks.
  • gmc94gmc94 Member Posts: 4
    Hi i recently bought a used 1994 GMC Jimmy and i have some problems with the 4-wheel drive switch. When i goo into 4-wheel high it will not let me i can feel the gears trying to switch but it doesnt work, but when i switch it into 4-wheel low it works perfectly i dont know if i should replace the switch or it has somethin to do with the transfer case itself can someone help me
  • jerseyj2jerseyj2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have recently acquired a '99 Blazer w/ 3 button electronic 4WD. It has almost 190,000 miles on it and has already become a money pit. I've replaced the transmission and torque converter, intake manifold gasket and both upper and lower ball joints in a 2 month period. Now I'm concerned about the 4WD. When I got the truck the 4WD worked fine..shifted on the fly smoothly no grinding. After I got it back from the tranny/ torque converter work there was a nasty grinding when i put it into at 50mph and was told by the mechanic that did the transmission work that I should always be stopped and in Park or Neutral to put it in 4WD regardless of what the manual said. That seemed to be fine but last night (I live in Michigan with lots of snow right now) I put it in 4H just to get it into the driveway and when the tires started spinning there was a terrible grinding from underneath. I am still able to move it from 4H to 2H (haven't tried 4L) and it seems to drive fine in either with no grinding unless the tires spin. Any clues would be greatly appreciated. I have put almost $3500 into repairs on this truck (which is more than I paid for it in the first place last November).

Thanks!
  • dtlb26dtlb26 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Talked to mechanic, suggests there is a small motor that switches the 2wd and 4wd. I'm taking in my car in 1-2 weeks..I hope that fixes it.
  • chevyride22chevyride22 Member Posts: 10
    Where is the "vacuum switch under the hood seal" located? I am not getting vacuum to my actuator located under the battery tray. I have checked all the vacuum hoses and all are o.k. Do you know where the vacuum source is located ? If I connect a vacuum source to the actuator I can get the 4WD to operate. I have what looks like a sensor that is located between the battery and the coolant reservoir and is mounted on the fender well. One end has an electrical connector and the other end has a vacuum hose on it. Is this the switch you are refering to? Thanks.
  • buffgenebuffgene Member Posts: 1
    I have 1994 gmc jimmy 4wd when i push the 4 hi or 4 lo the light flashes an i hear what sound like a relay then the light goes out no 4wd any help thanks.
  • leitteleitte Member Posts: 1
    where is the fuel filter for a 1992 S10 blazer 4x4 located?
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Isn't it in the frame rail under the drivers door?
  • ajaksajaks Member Posts: 11
    1993 Jimmy 4WD
    Which hose goes to what pole of the 3 pole switch?
    Thanks,
    Jak
  • ajaksajaks Member Posts: 11
    Can I remove the front driveshaft on my NP 233 and drive it 2WD? I mean will this work or cause problems?
  • oiltrash30oiltrash30 Member Posts: 1
    4-wheel drive is locked in wont go back to 2 wheel drive 4-wheel low light flashes when i push it electronic push button 4-wheel drive can anyone tell me what the problem might be
  • lldawglldawg Member Posts: 1
    is it possible to completely disengage the transfer case/ 4wd on this vehicle, and how can it be done if possible
  • sniper1983sniper1983 Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 99 chevy blazer. Have never had any major problems until now. well i would'nt call it major just annoying.. 2wd, 4hi and 4L all work and are engaging fine, but when i go from 4H to 2wd it doesent disengage right away it takes maybe 30 seconds and then makes a huge clunk and jolts the car like I just ran over a boulder when changing.. 4L still works perfectly although Im in neutral when shifting in and out.. I need your help
  • tim153tim153 Member Posts: 4
    1998 GMC Jimmy auto transmission with 3 button push for 4 WD. 4.3 engine. I was in 4WD and went to go out but it did not shift and went to what I would call N. I had no power to any wheel. I put it in park and hear a slight grinding and it when into 4WD. I managed to get it home but it was like it popped out of drive and back to N and no power to the wheels.

I changed the ball looking vac switch on top or the trasnsfer switch but still have the problem. It will not shift into 4WD then it went to no power again. I put it P and after playing with the buttons it went back to 2WD.

Any ideas?
  • feneafenea Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 LT Blazer, automatic, 4.3 litter, V6, 4x4, Auto 4 WD, (4button), odm 161,952 . I bought it in may 2006 odm 146,241,. The only thing I noticed about it was all the gauges would now and again would jump up and down a few times and then quit , hate when it does that cause it make the gas gauge look like im on empty when in fact im not. The problem im having today is I needed to put my 4Hi wd on but all it does is blink and after some time it goes back to the previous state 2Hi . So I tried to put Auto 4 wd on but it did the same thing, just blinks then goes back to 2Hi. It worked just fine last winter, that was the last time I used it. I got the book out and did the indicator switch adjustment put gear in N push 4Hi then put gear in park, but that didnt work, so I took off the +pos cable to battery for 1 minute and still that didnt work! Ive been searching the forum but havent found any solution to my situation! I hope someone can help please!
  • 327tom327tom Member Posts: 1
    my 99 blazer will not shift into 2 high,or 4 low, it appears to shift between auto 4 wheel and 4 high, the service 4 wheel drive light is all ways on. I have changed the transfer case fluid and both deferentals fluids There appears to be no lose wires or connections Help
  • Hasler99Hasler99 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 99 blazer with the 4 button system and the only time it with engage 4wd is after it has been sitting for aprox. 10 12 hours (overnight). If i wait to push the button it will just flash and throw on the service 4wd button. somthings weird with it and i could use some pointers. i have checked out the past forums on here with some close posts but not the same. this forum is very helpfull, and would like to thank everyone for the info.
  • eliblazntraviseliblazntravis Member Posts: 1
    alright i ahve a 99 blazer and it will not shift into 4wd. the lights are not on with the swith and nothing is poping up on the dash about the 4 wheel drive. theres power at the fuse nothings unplugged. What could cause this? anybody know..? w
  • boscochevelleboscochevelle Member Posts: 1
    95 chevy blazer not electronic 4 wheel but lever operated. vac actuator under batt tray is shot but i plugged line and pulled and held cable still nothing. was working fine cannot find any vac problems and that should not matter anyway since i manually pulled cable. 4 wheel light does not come on to verify engagement. HELP
  • abelanger40abelanger40 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same make/model and I am having a very similar problem. I have had my vehicle for four years, it has approximately 130,000 miles on it. My vehicle will not engage from 2hi to any other feature (4hi, 4lo, or 4 auto) I just get the blinking yellow light when I try to change from one to the other. My gas gauge has a tendency to jump up and down however I have NOT noticed this with any other gauges. All the time the 2HI is engaged, or it says it is. I am thinking that it is actually stuck in 4wd because my mileage has been significantly reduced recently. Did you ever resolve your problems with your vehicle?
    Mine was the acutator cable. Not too hard to change just hard to find the part.
  • zassoffzassoff Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1995 chevy balzer that will not go into 4 wheel drive. the lever will move but with no resistance. it lights up in all positions but nothing else. what's my next move?
  • 95jimmy195jimmy1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 GMC Jimmy and had my transmission rebuilt a few months ago. Now that I need my 4wd, I notice that when I press the 4hi or lo button, I can hear/feel if shift into 4wd and the lights change, but the front wheels don't actually turn. I have read that this may be a vacuum hose problem. Can anyone tell me where to look for the problem or perhaps show me where to get a vacuum hose diagram. Thanks.
    I am no expert on this can only give advise on my experence.

Under the battery you will find the actuator. It is vaccuum controled there is not much to this part and you should be able to see if it is working. You may have to start it. That can be done with jumper cables to the battery leads.

The problem I have is the cable from the acutator is frozen. Give it a little pull and it should move. If not that needs to be replaced.

Hope that helps.
  • wondernwondern Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 blazer will only go into 2 h and into 2 lo except that the front wheeels dont pull at all lights blink in auto 4 and hi and lo 4 any ideas please? thanks
  • rpeasteprpeastep Member Posts: 4
    There is an electric actuator at the transfer case, more than likely that is the problem. And could be the connection to it also.
  • michael1978michael1978 Member Posts: 1
    Recently I changed the chain in my transfer case. I re-installed it and it was stuck in 4 low it would not ingage into 2 whl dr or 4 high So I took it apart again and noticed the forks were pretty tight, after awhile of messing with the 2 bolts that hold the forks i loosend it up. Put it back together again and now it is stuck in 4 high and well not ingage into any other gear. Both times I took the transfer case out I had the vehicle in park, I was told the buttons on my dash had to be in neutral. Whats Wrong:(
  • chas32chas32 Member Posts: 1
    My Jimmy has this tendency to stick in 4hi. A couple of times it fixed itself when in a warm garage, but it did it again in July. It clicks and something under the car (t-case motor) purrs like it is working or trying to but still in 4hi. We fixed it with a hair dryer but now it is stuck again and I can't get it back to 2hi. I just bought a transfer case motor, took off the old one. Getting it off and the drive shaft out of the way was not a big problem. Before I put on the new one - can I take the old one somewhere to get it checked out? The new one says it comes in 2hi mode and I need to set the transfer case to match. According to the new motor I AM in 2 hi because the tab matches the slot. So why am I really in 4hi? I just don't want to pay for a part I don't need.
  • emliteuseremliteuser Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys. Wonder if anyone can help with this. I have the 4-button (with Auto 4wd) transfer case and it always stays in auto. It shifts through 2wd high, 4wd high and 4wd low but always ends up going back to Auto 4wd all by itself. I've had it to 2 different transmission places and have replaced 1) the buttons 2) the encoder 3) the tccm module (actually swapped with a buddy's blazer - the upgraded module, not the original hi failure one). Nothing has helped. Has anyone heard of this problem before? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • jc1973jc1973 Member Posts: 63
    WELL after pouring tons of money into this piece of junk my 4wd which did engage as of 2 months ago just got it back from getting diffrential services and lower ball joints now i push the 4wd high or low and nothing i tried it in neautral 4wd lights up but does not engage no light for 4wd low im thinking its the actuator under the battery tray im stumped ive put enough money into this truck i could have bought a much newer one
  • ncastorncastor Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Chevy Blazer with push button 4WD. Last winter in the NE we had a ton of snow and I used the 4WD a lot.

Once winter was over I attempted to push the button to engage 2WD and it would not go. My buddy who has a 2500 HD Silverado told me how to do it and it worked. The problem is that now when I push the 4WD button it will not engage the 4WD.

I have two small children and with winter upon us in the NE I need to get this repaired. A co-worker had a Blazer and it had a similar problem that he said cost about $150 to fix.

Does anyone have an idea of what it could be and could an average auto guy do it himself?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • wondernwondern Member Posts: 2
    my 2001 blazer will only go into 2 wheel drive hi and 2 wheel drive low (thunk) in neutral. will flash on 4 wheel drive and go back to 2 wheel hiI was reading about setting the indiacator switch by putton in neutral and pushing 4 wheel hi and shifting to park any ideas? thanks
  • lawlessriderlawlessrider Member Posts: 2
    Im wondering what I need to do in order to put a 5 speed trans into my 4x4, 4 door Blazer.
  • ncastorncastor Member Posts: 4
    I was experiencing the same issue as many Blazer/Jimmy owners (push button 4WD not engaging). I thought it might be an actuator.

I took it to a mechanic and lo and behold it the diagnostic test revealed a bolt needed to be removed and replaced.

Now it is working fine and a very inexpensive repair.
  • hoppy26hoppy26 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same exact issue. The vacuum line that runs behind the engine had fell against the exhaust manifold and melted a hole in it. There was a palstic union there and i disconnected it and shortened the vacuum line 3 inches where it was melted and reconnected it, there was plenty of extra hose on mine. Problem solved.

The vacuum line runs down the passanger side by the transmission dipstick tube and transmission lines, i didnt need to trace it any further. Cut the vacuum line start the car with 4x4 engaged and check for vacuum and reconnect it with a union.
  • therattlertherattler Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2011
    Hello, yes my 95 blazer's 4x4 will not engage, I found a loose vacuum hose for the transfer case switch I think it might be somewhere on the firewall but not sure, can someone help me out? thank you. Oh the loose vacuum i found is connected to hood thingy....lol
  • therattlertherattler Member Posts: 4
    Hello yes I think you will be able to help me a great deal. My vacuum line from the purge canister is disconected from somewhere, what am i looking for and how is easiest to get to it. thank you. Also I will be facing the blazer for right and left purposes.
  • jmcqjmcq Member Posts: 1
    i have a 98 blazer that will not switch in or out of 4wd right i have replaced module vac switch on transfer case dash button and actuator still not right the lights will light but after pushing a few times they go out and it locks in 4 low.the actuator has vacuum constantly it wont release vacuum.when you go driving down the road the light flips back and forth from 2wd to 4wd high....anyone have similar issues?or better yet solutions...thanks
  • skoda1skoda1 Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering what the black bulb thing on the driver's side mounted to the hood is. It has a black tube that comes out of it and then breaks off into two other tubes. One of the hoses has a hole in it. Wondering what it is for.
  • skoda1skoda1 Member Posts: 2
    have had this problem too. try disconecting battery for a few minutes then hook battery back up and give it a try. buddy of mine said it is a computer problem and that reboots the computer.
  • easzmoneyeaszmoney Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 chevy blazer and my 4wd service light has been on for about 3 weeks. I really didn't pay it to much mind. (my mistake) well needless to say my fuel pump went up on the truck and it wouldn't start about 2 weeks ago. So the truck has been sitting since then until today. I had a mechanic put the fuel pump on this morning. I went to pick up the truck, drove it for 15 minutes, stopped, ran in the store, came back started it up and I heard around 5 to 6 clicking sound right underneath the passenger side of the truck. Then when I put it in reverse the truck hardly moved. When I put it in drive, the truck was acting like I was driving a stick, I was giving it gas but it was not going anywhere. It was moving like 5 miles per hour and it aint start to move until it caught up with itself. I couldn't go no faster than 20 miles per hour all the way back to the shop.when I finally got to the shop and turned it off and back on, the shift gears didn't work. when we shifted to reverse, you heard a loud grinding noise, and when we put it in park, the truck kept moving forward. The gears wasn't working at all. I had the mechanic to check the vacuum line under neath the truck and by the fire wall, but he said he didn't see anything loose or disconnected. When he started it up, he said he heard clicking noises in the transfer case. Could this be what is causing the entire problem as far as the gears not working and the clicking sound. He said if he replace the transfer case, that will fix the 4wd service light, and the gear changing problems. Is this true. Money is limited and I need to know before I proceed on. The truck was running perfectly up until the fuel pump went up. It only has 97000 miles on it. I brought it with only 87000 miles on it and all maintenance was done and up to date. It passed inspection without no problems. Please advise
  • psychmaj12psychmaj12 Member Posts: 2
    Recently I pushed the 4wd button only to have it engage, do what I needed to do, put the vehicle in neutral back to 2wd and it somehow remained in 2wd. It sounded like it disengaged, but all the sudden about 45-55 I get a loud whiney sound from under the vehicle as if the torque converter is about to spin out of the transmission. Anyone got any ideas?
  • blackblazerblackblazer Member Posts: 1
    I've owned 5 Black Blazers. Seems handling got worse with last body style change. Used to go thru 2' snow. Electronic switch fights me in cold weather and discovered I don't have front wheels turning, even when 4wh is illuminated. 4wl is nearly impossible to catch. Always engage in Park or neutral at a stop. RD, you've got a 99,...any thoughts? Before I change Transfer Case Switch, check vac lines? I do have occasional vac errors show up. Beneath battery running toward tranny,...passenger's side? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • ednbrit2012ednbrit2012 Member Posts: 1
    my truck is running terrible gas milage terrible ...want to mog out and slip when u put a little too much gas peddle to it.put it on the computer and it said mass air flow sensor,knock sensor low voltage, and catalyst insufficant ... dont know what to do dont have much money but if someone can give me an idea it would be greatly appreciated....thank you