Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MX-5 Miata Fuel Questions

dmoreldmorel Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Mazda
Just purchased an '07 MX5 and the owner's manual says that I should use 91 octane or better. Is any one else with the same 2.0 engine using a lesser octane? And have you noticed any degradation in performance or mileage?

Comments

• Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    If you look closer, you will notice it say's "Premium is Recommended". Not required.

Expect performance and fuel economy to dip, but, I don't think it would be noticeable.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Are you sure about that?

I saw this PDF from Mazda:

http://www.miata.net/faq/brochures/2006/veh_specs_MX5.pdf

On page 11 it does say that under Recommended Fuel, but then it lists 91 octane again under Minimum Fuel Requirement.

Can you double-check with the techs there since you work in a dealership?

I will eventually replace my '93 with a newer one, and this is my "economy" commuter car. That would be a near deal-killer. :sick:
  • Options
    wilzapwilzap Member Posts: 107
    Just put 89 octane in my last tank instead of 91 to see if I could notice a difference,used about3/4 tank when I refilled and got 30.3 per gal, didn't notice any difference in performance but most of the driving was done on country back roads and state roads, the tank before that I got 27.9 and both tanks I wasn't easy on it but also wasn't doing any real crazy driving or rally racing either,but I will probably use 91 most of the time
  • Options
    wpavlik2wpavlik2 Member Posts: 32
    I used to think that the "requirement" of Premium was a killer, until I did the math on how much more per tank we were really looking at.
    4 bucks a tank?
    I'd bet that Midrange would be just fine (it's 89 in most places) unless you hear knocking and then Premium is the solution to that.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Good point...I'll live.

If you see a bargain 2006 used lemme know. I've seen them around $17k so far.

I would sell my 93 first but if it's a steal I might jump on it.
  • Options
    jimploggerjimplogger Member Posts: 17
    My 2008 MX-5 has a 12.8 gallon tank. The diference in 89 and 91 octane where I live is ten cents per gallon. So the difference on a fill up is only $1.28 or $2.56 difference from 87 to 91. Performance is worth the small difference. :)
  • Options
    makakiomakakio Member Posts: 25
    Looking at a Miata as a 25-mile commuter (mix city/highway). Currently drive an 03 BMW 325 averaging 24.5mpg and it's cherry, so I'd like to think about parking it and hanging onto it rather than continuing to add miles.

Regarding the Miata, I'd appreciate real-world mileage numbers from real-world enthusiasts. 5M or 6M please and if you tend to drive in a fairly hasty manner like me (and unlike, say, my father, who *averages* 29mpg in his Boxster), I'd appreciate that feedback.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.