Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,299
    i have a convertible, i don't consider a moonroof to be much of a safety hazard.
    my mid size sedan doesn't need a cargo cover, but i do like the moonroof.
    i would like to see a prius sunroof, if someone can post a picture or a link.
    the roof design would make it a very expensive item.
    maybe enough prius have been sold to provide a market for it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Try a Google on "Prius moonroof" or "Prius sunroof". Here is an example...

http://www.toyotaoptions.com/Prius.htm
    great! one of those aftermarket leakers.
    i only want a factory designed and installed one.
    Having a little fun tonight, eh? Since you have checked toyota.com re available options, you already knew that Toyota doesn't offer a factory designed and installed moonroof on the Prius. When I noted that a moonroof can be added to a Prius, you asked for a picture of one--which I provided.

I think we all get the message: you really don't like the Prius. Cargo covers and moonroofs have nothing to do with it. That's fine. But enough of the games, OK?

P.S. Did you know that factory designed and installed moonroofs can leak also? Some nighttime reading for you, if you are interested...

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl897e.htm

http://www.ford-forums.com/ford-fusion/3477-ford-fusion-sun-roof-leaks.html

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/new-2007-nissan-altima-discussion/278131-altima- -moonroof.html

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef0feec/2026

Good night, moon (roof).
    i could be wrong, but i think the prius has higher that usual voltage wiring that runs through the roof. i will take a toyota designed sunroof, not some aftermarket 80's design.
    thanks for trying to convince me, but no sale.
    Ha, I'm not trying to "convince" you of anything. Just trying to provide you with information that you requested and trying to have a civil discussion about mid-sized cars, hybrid variants in particular.

Please feel free to share with us any links to info about high-voltage wiring in the Prius' roof. As for moonroofs being designed in the '80s... yes, I think it's true that basic moonroof design hasn't changed much since then. I remember a moonroof on a girlfriend's 1983 626 that worked just like they do today.
  • maxamillion85maxamillion85 Member Posts: 78
    I had the opportunity to test drive both the Accord and Mazda6 over the past couple of weeks. I’ve been working so much that I haven’t had time to post my reviews, but since we just had a holiday I figured I’d post the review now. Remember this review is simply MY Opinion…but feedback is always good.

Exterior:

I hear folks say the previous generation Accord looked better, and I just don’t get it. I came very close to buying an 04 Accord back when I purchased my 05 Altima but declined the offer simply because I hated the styling. I love the aggressive blunt nose of the new Accord. V6 models look especially aggressive with the front lip spoiler and fog light cut outs. All EX (not just the V6) models should come with the fogs IMO because without them the front end looks a bit naked. I find the side profile of the Accord to be quite nice and I’m a big fan of the standard 17 inch alloy wheels found on EX models. I also like the Acura TL-like character line that goes from the front fender to the back taillights. The one weak aspect of the Accord’s styling is the rear end. It looks a bit bland, especially next to the 06 and 07 Accord and the Mazda6 GT which have LEDs.

At first I didn’t like the front end of the new 6, but its grown on me a bit. I still have issues with the lower grille and its “Braces” but otherwise the car looks good from the front to me. I especially like the Xenon headlamps found on GT and some Touring models. I drove a Black GT model at night and I was impressed with the exterior lighting and I thought the manual leveling xenon headlamps were a nice touch. In profile, the only real issue I had with the new 6 was the RX-8 inspired fender flairs. On V6 models with 18s it doesn’t look too bad, but on models with 17s and especially those with 16s, the vehicle height to wheel ratio makes the car look tipsy looking. The 17s should be standard on base models and the 18s on the S models should be standard on Touring and Grand Touring I4 models. I think if I’d never seen the Euro and Japanese-based Mazda6 I’d probably like the our new 6 more…but after seeing those models, the US-based 6 looks a bit too stretched (from the side) for its exterior styling. It’s a bit too big for the styling theme its trying to pull off.

Winner: Accord…it just looks more cohesive (I know I’m going to catch heck for this!)

Interior:

I still think the Accord has the best interior materials in the midsize sedan category. The only car that exceeds the Accord’s materials is the Passat and for what VW charges for the car it’s materials should be better. Honda just seems to get it right in the areas where people pay attention. From the padded door panels, gathered leather upholstery and overall feel of the interior materials, the Accord’s interior just comes off as more upscale and more matured feeling than the interior of the 6. I’d say the Accord’s interior design feels a generation or two older than the new Mazda6, which isn’t particularly a good thing. One major negative for the Accord is the abundant use of buttons throughout the interior. It can be daunting at first glance, but after about ten minutes or so of driving I quickly became accustomed to the layout. Base models with manual climate control look less impressive than models equipped with the automatic climate control and navigation system. Hondas were always known for having very user friendly simplistic interior designs, that’s changed quite a bit over the last two generations and I hope Honda will go back to their roots in future generations because the current Accord has a very minivan like interior layout. The bottom line is that when I sit inside the Accord, it feels more refined and more matured. The level of quality is higher, the tactile feel of the controls is better and the overall ambience inside of the Accord is that of a much costlier vehicle. For some it may be a bit too mature but it works well for me. Of course this assessment is based on driving Accord EX-L models, EX models with cloth aren’t bad, but LX models have their fair share of cheap interior materials as well. In base LX and LX-P form, I’d be inclined to go with other choices…the Malibu and the Aura IMO have better interior materials in base models in comparison to the Accord…but when you dress the Accord up in leather, wood trim and the works, its hard to beat the Accord’s interior materials and overall feel.

The Mazda6 on the other hand just feels sportier. There is no denying that. I drove one particular GT model at night and I came away very impressed with the interior’s design. The gauges in particular were very, bright and sporty…maybe a bit too bright since I had to adjust them after a while. I also liked the ambient interior lighting found in the 6 which is very BMW-like. But while the interior design of the 6 is better than the Accords, I don’t believe the materials are better. Several areas throughout the interior are marred by cheap interior plastic. The area around the interior gauges and the interior door panels felt very cheap. I also noticed a lack of padding for the interior armrest and some interior panels that didn’t line up well. While the leather inside the 6 has a nice perforation pattern the leather quality itself wasn’t that great, especially next to the Accord’s gathered, more upscale looking leather and in base form, the cheap looking (and feeling) cloth upholstery matched up with the cheap looking black plastic didn’t’ impress me at all. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the 6 has bad materials, but next to the Accord, the 6’s materials are lacking in texture, quality and feel. The 6 in upper trim levels competes favorably against the Camry and the Aura and Malibu but I feel the Accord and Sonata have better materials overall.

Winner: The Accord buy a significant margin

The Drive:

I only got to take the Accord out for a short test drive, so I can’t say much about the it. But what I do know is that the basic LX model I drove had one of the slickest feeling manual transmissions I‘ve ever driven. I was hoping to drive an EX or EX-L model but the nearest model with a manual was over 90 miles away. Power was abundant, even in the base LX model I drove and the shifter itself felt very light, very crisp and very predictable. I drive a truck for a living and the shifter in the Accord felt refreshing next to the clunky, awkward feel of the shifter in my Peterbilt. Yet for a car with such a slick shifting manual, I must say that the Accord didn’t seem nearly as fun to drive as previous generations. It’s almost as if the car has gotten to big to warrant a stick shift. The Handling was sound, but never sporty, the ride itself was very Camry-like and the steering felt a bit on the light side. Overall the drive, just like the interior felt a bit more matured than the Mazda6. The car just felt big...
    ...and even though its only a mere .4 inches longer than the new Mazda6, it handled like a bigger, more sedate car.

On the flip side, the 6 was a lot more fun to drive. I went to a dealership in Anderson, SC that allows you to test drive cars on your own so I took the 6 on an extended test drive. Outside of having a pushy salesmen who knew nothing about his product and who acted like my brother and I weren’t worth his time, I must say the experience with the 6 was fantasitc! From the interior layout, to the handling and steering feel the 6 was just more fun to drive. I felt like I was connected to the car, not just driving it. It took some time getting used to the shift pattern but once I warmed up to it, I felt right at home in the 6. I took the 6 all over the Anderson area…from the back roads leading to Clemson University to a short stint up Interstate 85. The 6 was up for every challenge. In areas where the Accord simply met the challenge, the 6 seemed eager, more poised and ready for any task given to it. Surprisingly the 6’s ride was more composed than the Accord’s and it never felt harsh. The 6 also had less wind and engine noise. As a matter of fact, while sitting at a red light I thought I’d actually stalled the 6 because it was so quiet. One area where the 6 lagged behind the Accord was in power. The Accord, even in base LX form just seemed more powerful despite its slightly bigger size. I’m sure the 6 weighs more too. The lack in power isn’t a real concern but it is noticeable in the few passing maneuvers I attempted on the interstate. While the 6 didn’t feel as sporty as the previous generation, its sportier than anything currently available in this class.

Winner: The Mazda6 by a wide margin.

Features:

I’m one of those folks who loves features. One of the few things I like about my current Altima is its list of standard and optional equipment. In the feature content arena, the 6 easily beats the Accord and everything else in this class. Xenon headlamps, LEDs and push button start are just a few of the features the Mazda6 GT I test drove had.

Memory seats are a nice touch too, but I don’t think I’d use them much. I didn’t drive an EX or EX-L but I spent a few minutes inside an Accord EXLV6 inside the dealership showroom and it became clear that Honda missed the boat on interior gadgetry and innovation. Bluetooth is only available on navigation-equipped models, there is no push button start, no LED tail lamps or electroluminescent interior gauges. For the price of a GT model, I’d be better off moving up into Acura TSX or Audi A4 2.0t territory, but a loaded Touring model with Convenience and BOSE/Moonroof pkgs lines up very closely with the Accord EX-L model all while having xenons, rain-sensing wipers and many other features not found in this class.

Winner: Mazda6 by a wide margin

Overall:

While I do find the styling of the Accord to be better than the 6, I cannot deny that the 6 is overall the more sporting and more fun car to drive. From its racy, cool looking gauge cluster to its sporty handling and fun to drive factor the 6 just seems like the more engaging car. The Accord, while feeling predictable, just feels a bit mature, even a bit Spartan in LX trim (which is to be expected given its base price) so I’ll have to make the trip to Asheville to drive the only EX-L manual sedan in my area (coincidently a Mazda dealership in the Asheville area also has an I GT manual as well) On the safety front the two cars should be very similar and at this point I’ll give Honda a slight edge over the 6 for reliability (considering Honda’s track record) but overall the 6 just fit me better. I’d like to stay loyal to Honda (since that’s all my family has ever driven) and because I find the interior materials to be a great deal better than those found in the 6, but the 6 draws me to it and considering that it seems easy to find a loaded manual Mazda6 in comparison to a loaded manual Accord and the fact that Mazda will probably give me a better discount, I’m going with the 6 on this one. If there were a few things I’d change about the new Mazda6, it would be its available color combinations for manual models. You can only get four exterior colors (Red, Black, Silver or Gray) with one interior color (Black) while in Canada you can choose any color 6 you want, even with the manual transmission. I would love a Kona Blue Mazda6 I GT with Gray leather!

Overall Winner: Mazda6...until I get more seat time in an EX-L manual Accord.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Speaking as a regular ol' driver rather than a host, I LIKE this car. A lot. People can argue over the origin of the technology and whether it is/isn't a true hybrid - whatever. The fact is that Ford has made a great decision to build on a strong product by offering it in a version that maximizes fuel economy. To most of us, that's the essential information.

For the first time in ages, I'm excited about a Ford product. The Prius, for a variety of reasons, doesn't do it for me, but I think this is a great move for Ford.

kirstie_h
    visiting host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Excellent and very thorough review. I agree with most points you've posted, but IMO the interior materials between the Accord and 6 aren't that much different, if at all. The biggest drawback (by far) is the 60-something buttons stacked all over the dash, as you've mentioned. Too busy. I'm driving a car, not flying a 747.
    i guess i am mistaken about the roof wiring in a prius.
    regardless, since it is not available with a factory moonroof, i would not buy one.
    overall, i can appreciate that it is a pretty practical vehicle, just not for me.
    Not sure this was mentioned here before, but we'll have another mid-sized hybrid to choose from in 2010: the Sonata hybrid, which will probably be the first hybrid to use a lithium polymer battery. The Elantra hybrid will actually be Hyundai's first hybrid, due this July, but it will be sold only in Korea initially so the Sonata is to be the first Hyundai hybrid sold in the U.S. The details (see link to article below) look interesting... the Sonata will be a full, two-mode hybrid, but reportedly will use a unique variant of the two-mode design to allow optimal fuel economy both in city and highway driving. The lithium polymer battery will take up a lot less room than battery packs used in other hybrids, so perhaps trunk space will not be compromised as it is with today's full-hybrid sedans. And Hyundai plans a plug-in version for later release.

The 2011 Sonata due in 2010, will be part of Hyundai's 24/7 Version 2.0 initiative, which will push out 7 new models by the end of 2011. Recall that the 2006 Sonata was the 2nd vehicle in Hyundai's original 24/7 program, which resulted in 8 (whoops) new or redesigned models in a span of 2 years.

Things are getting interestinger and interestinger in the mid-sized hybrid market!

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/green_machines/2011_h- - yundai_sonata_hybrid_car_news
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    One of the main reasons I passed on the Accord was the dash. In a nutshell, the buttons all over the place were driving me crazy from the second I sat in it. The exterior is not nearly as attractive as the new Mazda 6 or the Malibu LT which I ended up with.

Honda can always be counted on for reliability and refinement but I think the design of the new Accord is poor.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    One of the main reasons I passed on the Accord was the dash. In a nutshell, the buttons all over the place were driving me crazy from the second I sat in it.

I agree.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    It's like a Japanese video arcade. I thought dashes like that died a well deserved death in the mid 80s?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Great review. I like it when members post a detailed and un bias post.

The Accord is a very tough vehicle to beat, simply because Honda as "gotten it right" for so many years. No one can deny that.

I will say that I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the comparison of interior materials. I think the Mazda6 uses high material quality, and is put together very well. I really don't see much difference between the build quality of the Accord and Mazda6. The door arm rest is padded BTW, on the Mazda6.

I would by a 6 simply because of the drive and the fact that it is built at least as good as the Accord. IMO
    not sure if this is the first day it is available, but the sedan hybrid comparison is available on the c & d online mag.
    i would like to see at the very least, a camry & fusion hybrid versus camry & fusion 4 cyl versions. 4 on 4 would be better. :)
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    "The Accord is a very tough vehicle to beat, simply because Honda as "gotten it right" for so many years. No one can deny that".

You don't get a free pass because your past cars have been good. The new Accord in my eyes is a design disaster. Probably why I see far more new Camrys than Accords on the road. Probably 5 to 1.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    You don't get a free pass because your past cars have been good

The reverse should also be true. There are a lot of domestic bashers out there that haven't owned or probably even driven a domestic in years and are still bashing them. Ford, especially, has made great strides in quality and is putting out some very nice vehicles with innovative equipment as of late.

However, I believe reputation stands for something and should enter into the equation of a car purchasing decision if other things appear equal.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Probably why I see far more new Camrys than Accords on the road. Probably 5 to 1.

You must have selective vision or live in quite the car-sales black-hole for Honda. Honda's Accord has kept up with Camry just about neck and neck with sales for 2008.

• bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Unfortunately, there's reality, and then there's perception. And the reality is that people still perceive Toyota as better, and Honda (I don't get it with Toyota, I have never liked their cars. Honda I get it, the things feel like Swiss watches). People perceive Ford as "Found on Road Dead" despite their improvements, and these images are going to take a while to change. The trick is to get people to give them a shot so the perception CAN change (eventually, Toyota drivers will realize the same thing GM drivers did, that their cars are getting anonymous and cheap-feeling).
    And the reality is that people still perceive Toyota as better...

Not a whole lot of people perceive this, in my experience. Pretty much both Toyota and Honda are tops in perception, with different kinds of drivers preferring each, but both with very positive views. Now the car mags, that's another thing... Toyota generally gets knocked due to softer handling vs. Honda, but both are considered quality brands. This is very apparent if you look at Camry vs. Accord reviews. It's almost always "Camry is really smooth, but boring; Accord has all those buttons but is more a driver's car." With some exceptions, e.g. Camry taking the MT COTY a year or so ago.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Well the December and annual sales data answers that question.

Model/Dec. 08/% ch from 07/YTD/% ch from YTD 07
    Camry/25,275/-34.5%/436,617/-7.7%
    Accord/22,338/-28.5%/372,789/-5.0%
    Malibu/17,355/+48.5%/177,088/+51.5%
    Altima/17,311/-31.2%/269,668/-5.3%
    Fusion/10,274/-24.1/147,569/-1.3%

The Sonata did not make the top 20 and Malibu's are only one third of Camry.
    Source: http://www.online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-autosales.html
    Malibu topping Altima and doing nearly 70% of Camry's sales volume in December is IMO a tremendous achievement for GM, given all the bad press about GM's future. Also the numbers show that the updated 2010 Fusion is coming just in time... or maybe dealers were running low on the 2009s?
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Malibu topping Altima and doing nearly 70% of Camry's sales volume in December is IMO a tremendous achievement for GM, given all the bad press about GM's future.

No official numbers are out yet but don't be surprised if Malibu fleet sales are very high for December. ;)

A large jump in month to month sales like that typically means a lot of them were dumped to fleets. I'm not saying that's definitely what happened, and for GM's sake I hope not, but history tells us that it probably was the reason for the higher number that month. Take a look at the Impala too. 9000 more sold in December than in November? 6000 more Malibus sold in December than in November? Makes one wonder doesn't it?

Note that sales of others like the Fusion, Accord, Camry, etc stayed fairly flat from month to month.
    Malibu topping Altima and doing nearly 70% of Camry's sales volume in December is IMO a tremendous achievement for GM...

...topping by 44 cars?

YTD Altima = 269,668 v. YTD Malibu = 177,088 :blush:
    Altima used to be WAY ahead of Malibu in sales. That is why I said it was a tremendous achievement for GM. Also people aren't talking about Nissan going bye-bye, as they are with GM. Makes it harder to sell cars under those conditions.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    You see a good number of Altima's in rental fleets
    I understand.

BTW, I think the Nissan needs to put t a bigger engine in the Altima, may be a 2.7 L w/ 200HP? The Altima engine used to be the leader, now the Accord is at or even better (EX) than the Altima. And if the Camry gets a new 2.5L engine in about 1-2 months, the Altima will not be the special car any more.
    Yes, and along with Malibus also Camrys, Mazda6's (even the new 2009s are showing up), Sonatas, Optimas, Fusions/Milans, G6's, and in some places even Accords. But with rental car companies keeping cars longer and suffering from a business downturn of their own, automakers can't simply dump their extra units there.
    175 hp is plenty for me. I think the specialness of the Altima is more due to its handling and styling, vs. power. I am weird, but if fuel economy in mid-sizers could be increased significantly by trimming power a bit, I'm all for that. My 3000 pound Jetta with a 4AT has only 115 hp and it gets me around just fine--although I don't think I'll take it on a dragstrip. :)
    couldnt they just use the 200 hp verison of the 2.5 found in the Sentra SER Spec V?
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    You'd better sit down for this... :)

According to certain news sources, the February issue of Consumer Reports lists some recommendations for the 2009 new cars. Although their tests are about "halfway through", they've listed a few noteworthy choices early, including the Chevy Malibu LTZ V6, and not one but SIX Ford models, including the Ford Fusion SEL and Mercury Milan Premier. (Others not related to this discussion include the Taurus and Taurus X, Mercury Sable, and Lincoln MKZ).

A spokesman even was quoted as saying: "It’s not immediately apparent that the Ford Fusion would be more reliable than the Toyota Camry, but it is, and the Fusion is one of the more reliable family sedans on the market.”

The sky must be falling if even CR recommends a Ford midsize sedan. :)
    i have some neighbors who won't wipe their a...ahhh um, nose without consulting c-r to figure out what kind of tissue to use.
    can't see them buying a ford soon, but who knows.
    one time i counted the cars on my street. only 7 including 2 corvettes out of about 50 were domestic brands, and i have 4 of them.
    i was at the oral sugreon the other day and he was talking up ford,
    one of my co workers, a lexus driver, was talking up ford to me.
    i find it kind of weird.
    You are a little late to the party. CR recommended the Fusion/Milan, Taurus/Sable, and Mustang (also the Edge, Expedition, Sport Trac, F-150, and Taurus X plus four Lincolns) way back in their April 2008 issue. They also touted the great reliability of the Fusion and Milan back then too. So the sky fell a long time ago. You must have been under protective cover at the time. ;)
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Doesn't "average" reliability (or average anything) get you recommended by CR? The Malibu was recommended way back in 97, but knowing of one first hand, I would not recommend it. It's too easy to get that Check Mark from CR.
    i have no idea about their recommended rating.
    all i know is some people are loath to not follow their recomendations.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    If it was that easy then the Camry V6 would still be on there, but it's not. I don't think just average reliability would cut it, although it doesn't have to be perfect either.
    Yes, average reliability is a minimum requirement for getting "recommended." My folks' new 2008 Taurus had such a rating, and was recommended for 2008.
    As I recall the Fusion now has the coveted red circle with the white dot in the middle now.
    :) Yeah, i remember it has gotten good ratings from the very start!
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    The Malibu was recommended way back in 97, but knowing of one first hand, I would not recommend it.

Gee, I knew somebody that had a lot of trouble with an Accord once......I haven't been able to recommend a Honda product since they are all trouble prone according to my vast experience. ;)
    Both sides make decent points here. m6 is right, nobody should make a judgment about all vehicles of one model from one particular vehicle, but that Malibu being rated good turned out to be a joke; those years proved to be terrible for reliability for the Malibu and its clones.
    nobody should make a judgment about all vehicles of one model from one particular vehicle,

Unfortunately, that's what a lot of people do, judge based on experiences with one example: the one they bought and drove. It's hard to give the same model another chance when you got stuck with a lemon. The trick is to have as few of those as possible, since it's impossible to have zero. Honda and Toyota learned that a long time ago. Toyota is starting to forget, but a few years back Ford learned it too. Notice the most reliable seem to be the smaller-volume manufacturers? As Toyota got bigger they started losing their vaunted reliability. Ford is shrinking itself, and now they're "Fantastic On Road Driving" instead of "Found On Road Dead." :shades:
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    We just rented an Altima for a week over the holidays and the 175 hp 4 cyl was great with acceleration to surpass some V-6's I have driven recently, a 2009 Pontiac G6 readily comes to mind. Additionally, in ALL the last several Car & Driver mid-size family sedan comparisons (4 cylinders) the Altima plain whipped all the competition including the larger more powerful 4 from Honda in almost all (if not all) performance categories. In my opinion it does NOT need a more powerful engine to "keep up" with Honda or Toyota since it is already in front of either.
    in ALL the last several Car & Driver mid-size family sedan comparisons (4 cylinders) the Altima plain whipped all the competition including the larger more powerful 4 from Honda in almost all (if not all) performance categories.

Thanks to the CVT, the engine stays at the power peak when you have your foot to the floor. The Honda's 4-cylinder is 2354cc compared to the Altima which is about 150cc larger, so it makes more torque (but not horsepower, in this case).

The Altima certainly doesn't need more 4-cyl power, as it has excellent fuel economy and good power (180 lb-ft of torque compared with the competition's 160-170).
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    The Altima certainly doesn't need more 4-cyl power,

I haven't driven a current Altima, but I think you could say the same about most midsize cars now. In the past few months I've driven an '08 Accord LX-P (manual) as well as an '08 Milan and an '09 Galant. I'd say that all had sufficient power, but managing that power is crucial, and that's where I saw some real differences.

The 177 hp Accord was particularly well-mannered at all times, and never felt the least bit underpowered. It seemed to get stronger as rpm increased, at least up to about 6000 on the tach. I would have no problem driving this car every day, at least with the manual transmission.

The 160 hp Galant felt torquier than the Accord up to about 80 mph, just fine for normal driving. Above about 4500 rpm it started to run out of breath, and the four-speed automatic occasionally couldn't find a gear that would keep the engine in the sweet spot. It was fine in all kinds of rural driving, but it was not at home in the high-speed cut-and-thrust of Atlanta traffic. I think this engine is related to those used in the Sebring/Avenger and the Sonata, though each manufacturer does some things differently (different cylinder head design?) with the same basic architecture.

The 160 hp Milan delivered sufficient acceleration but sounded strained. It was superb when driven gently, but its weaker torque required more frequent downshifts, and the noise level above 3500 rpm made it the least appealing of the three for driving in hilly terrain or in fast-moving heavy traffic. Like the Galant, it suffered from too few ratios in the autobox. From what I've read here, the 2010 model with its bigger engine and six-speed should remedy the problem nicely.

I think it's a matter of marketing rather than engineering that we seem to see six-speed automatics paired with the larger engines, and the four or five speed automatics with the smaller engines. From what I've experienced, a four-cylinder with either a manual or a six-speed automatic would be perfectly acceptable in a midsize sedan, even with my fairly aggressive driving style.
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    Ford is shrinking itself, and now they're "Fantastic On Road Driving" instead of "Found On Road Dead."

I've always heard "Fix Or Repair Daily" as the explanation of the FORD abbreviation. That's not been our experience though. We currently own three Ford products, a 1997 Thunderbird, a 2000 Focus station wagon and a 2007 SEL AWD Fusion and also previously owned a 1983 and a 1993 Thunderbird.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Hey Boz - you need that 41 mpg Fusion hybrid. It's tailor made for your driving pattern.
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    Hey Boz - you need that 41 mpg Fusion hybrid. It's tailor made for your driving pattern.

You are right, Allen. I have been reading everything I can about that model and it sounds great. Just what the doctor ordered. Now if I could just find some money. :-) :D