Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Not at all....just using the interior size to make a point. Although, the exterior dimensions of the Vette could be close to a midsize.....I'm not really sure.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    i had an 04 focus with heated cloth seats. i really liked them. i prefer cloth and they were great when it was cold or a sore back. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I can take it. I just don't like it!! If my wife was not big into snow sports (skiing/snow boarding) and all my family were not up here, I would be looking to migrate my flock down south.

C'mon down. I'll have a glass of sweet tea waiting for ya. ;)
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Well then we almost left the "keys" in the car unlocked.

Regardless, it's a poor system. I do know that because I did spend 4 days with the car.
  • madpistolmadpistol Member Posts: 126
    With forecast lows this week as low as 8 degrees as far south as Birmingham, AL... I'm beginning to be glad I don't live any further north!!

I've been waking up to sub-freezing temperatures the last few days. I am sooo thankful for the best invention since cars were invented:

Seat warmers!!! Best thing ever on a cold morning! :shades:
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    '05 Sonata GLS Special Value edition has cloth seats and heated front seats.

In CT we don't have it as cold as MN or WS, but for me once it gets below 50*, it's time to turn on the heated seats. I only drive a little under 3 miles to work so the heated seats are a god send. Automatic climate control starts throwing some heat after about 1 miles, unless zero-like temps, but it takes longer for heated air to warm the cabin than it takes the seat to warm my body.

Where is all this man-made global warming? If it's not a hoax and if everyone warmed up their car for a half hour, that would have done a lot to moderate the last few winters. Maybe, just maybe, solar activity has something to do with global cooling or global warming. (The globe has actually cooled since 1998.)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    ...but for me once it gets below 50*, it's time to turn on the heated seats.

I did that sometimes on my BMW, except I had to keep the settings low or it would actually get too hot when I was wearing shorts--which I sometimes do until it gets into the 20s.

Seat heaters in a cloth seat when it's just below 50? What is the world coming to... :sick:
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Wednesday it's supposed to get down to 32 degrees here in South Louisiana, so I might actually use the seat heater tomorrow, and Wed. It's nice to have, when you need it.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Regardless, it's a poor system. I do know that because I did spend 4 days with the car.

It's an excellent system. I do know that because I OWN ONE.

I first thought the system was just a gimmick, but after over a year with it, it's actually very convenient, especially for my wife (the daily driver). She doesn't have to dig through her purse or other bags to find her keys, the few times she's left the fob in the car, it didn't allow her to lock the doors. Same when she left her purse in the trunk once, it didn't close.

"Poor" is having to call AAA or pay a tow driver $80 to unlock the door with the keys stuck inside. Trust me.
    question: which mid-sized sedans offer seat warmers, with cloth and with leather? I'd guess all of them with leather at least, but maybe some with cloth too (not as important though, IMO). Even some compacts now offer bun warmers with cloth and leather seating.

I believe that all midsize sedans now offer seat warmers as an option at least. Most of the time, if you get a car with leather seats, it comes with seat warmers.

I believe most cars, when equipped with seat warmers, come with 2-level seat warmers. However, I know the Camry only comes with 1-level (on/off) as opposed to low and high settings. There are probably a couple other cars that do the same thing.

I also agree with mz6 about the smart key system. It really is a great system, and I think you have to spend more than half a week with it to realize just how wonderful it is. It doesn't let you lock your keys in your car, and it's completely hands free (don't have to reach for keys.) I just don't see how it's a bad/flawed system. Even the push-button starter is convenient.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Wednesday it's supposed to get down to 32 degrees

Oh my, better get out the long johns and put a "toboggan" on your head. Really, heated seats in LA...I'd think you'd want seat coolers instead.

When the low is 32 or warmer, that's called spring here. According to the forcast we might get up to almost 32 one day in the next 10...

I discovered, when some relatives moved to AL, that people kind of have the same range of clothing but just different thresholds for wearing it. My HS age niece had told me of Alabamians wearing long underwear, heavy winter coats, and "toboggans" (as they say down there) when temp was in, I think, the 30s. Meanwhile when visiting Green Bay, which is 100 miles or so to the north of us, noticed shorts were pretty common when it was in the mid to high 60s.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    My Optima has 4 seat warmer settings.I can't imagine just an on/off system.
    Here's how it goes (for me, in Birmingham).

Jeans/long pants come out when high are 60s.
    Long sleeve shirts/sweaters come out when highs are in 50s, maybe a light jacket.
    The heavy coats don't come out until lows hit the 30s. Long underwear in the 30s? Nah... maybe on a snowy day/night in the teens.

Seat heaters and coolers should use the Audi/VW design, I think, with a thumb wheel.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Seat heaters and coolers should use the Audi/VW design, I think, with a thumb wheel.

I agree.

Mazda just adapted the thumb wheel for the CX-7 (cloth and leather) for 09. Yes, I know, not a mid-sized sedan, so, all who want to comment on that, just save it!
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    With forecast lows this week as low as 8 degrees as far south as Birmingham, AL... I'm beginning to be glad I don't live any further north!!

Heat wave in So. Caliifornia today. It's supposed to get up to 80F! :shades: :shades:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    For me, this is a happy, happy development in the automotive world. My most important features in a vehicle list something like this:

1. Seat warmers
    2. Automatic windows/locks
    3. Steering wheel
    4. Engine

You get the idea. That's the one feature that makes me consciously happy every day for about 4 months of the year.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You really appreciate it if your car sits outside during the winter. The last 2 weeks I've gotten up for school (college), my car has been covered in frost. I just go out, start the car, turn on seat warmers, windshield defroster, etc. and I go back inside for about 5 minutes. When I come back out, the seat is nice and warm and I can see out the windows in my car!

I will admit that I'm never going to be able to buy another car unless it has seat warmers now. :P It's the little things that make people happy.
  • starryknightstarryknight Member Posts: 31
    I'd like to start another discussion regarding the suspensions in midsize cars. My beef is this.....in recent years, I've found there to be a growing lack of soft suspensions in midsized (and even a few larger) cars. I used to have a 2000 Ford Taurus and that car had a very nice, soft suspension. It soaked up bumps and handled potholes like a trooper and I had no handling issues. I traded it in for a 2007 Accord. What a difference! I knew the suspension was stiffer but thought I could get used to it but, after a year and a half, I'm looking to trade again. Just can't take it any longer. I feel EVERY small crack in the road and forget about potholes. When one of those babies comes along, it feels like the front end is being ripped out (you can't avoid them all). What ever happened to the nice, soft, cushy suspensions like what we could get 20-30 years ago. I understand the newer "sport tuned" suspensions make the car safer and more stable but really now. Family sedans are supposed to be comfortable. I, for one, would like those cars to go back to super soft suspensions and leave the stiff, sporty suspensions to the corvettes of the world. Let's discuss :)
    Well, you happened to choose a car with one of the firmest, "feel every pebble" suspensions in mid-sized sedan country. But there's hope! The suspension of the 2008+ Accord is softer than the previous generation's. For what you want, I think you'll find it more to your liking. Other mid-sizers with a smooth ride are the Camry (possibly the best in terms of smoothness), the Fulan (very nice blend of ride smoothness and handling), and the Sonata (GLS or Limited trim; SE has a stiffer suspension). The Malibu and Aura are supposed to ride quite nicely also but I haven't driven them. Personally I also like the ride of the Optima; like the Fusion, a nice blend of ride smoothness and handling. I also like the way the Mazda6 rides and drives, but it may be too stiff for your taste--you could try it and see though.

Try some of those, maybe starting with the 2008-9 Accord to compare it to what you have now, then the Camry to compare with a car optimized for ride smoothness above all else.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    The only car up your alley would be the Camry, any model except the SE.

Not to be sarcastic, but have you considered a Buick, notably the LaCrosse?
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    May I suggest a nice Ford Crown Victoria then?

Soft suspensions went away partially because of the safety factor (as relates to handling and accident avoidance) but also because fewer and fewer people wanted them. Now there ARE some sedans that are softer than the Accord you drove...it's one of the firmer ones, along with Mazda and Nissan (though Nissan is probably a bit softer than the other two). Softies tend to include, as mentioned, Hyundai Sonata (non-SE), Toyota Camry, and Chevy Malibu from what I hear, but even those are firmer than the 20-30 year old cars you're yearning for.

Fact is, the marshmallowy ride is disappearing because most people don't want it anymore, for the very reasons you mentioned: safety and stability. The more disconnected you are from the road, the harder it is to notice when you're losing control (and the harder it is to stay in control in the first place).
    Buick or Toyota get my vote. Nearly all of the cars in both brands are plush and supple. Any sort of Hyundai usually has very "vague" steering feel and a plush ride as well.

Both Toyota and Hyundai have "sporty" models on their car lot as well, and you should probably avoid those. They usually have much firmer suspensions.

On another subject, I'm pretty sure I know why most car manufacturers are starting to tune their cars on the sportier side of driving. One of the reasons is road feel; it gives most drivers a sense of control when they know what they're driving on. It also makes the car more fun for day-to-day driving. The other reason as you mentioned is safety. If the car's driver knows what they're driving on, it will usually stave off hypnotism more because it keeps the drivers interested in the ride.

This is coming from experience. I used to own a Toyota Solara. One of the biggest problems I had in that car was the tendency to become drowsy while driving. I think this was mainly because I was not focused on the road, and the soft suspension seemed to lull me while driving. On the flip side, I now own a Nissan Altima, which has a firmer suspension and more communicative steering wheel. Because of this, I find it easier to keep myself concentrated on the drive. Thus, I am less likely to become drowsy. From my experience, I believe the Altima is the safer car simply because I'm more involved in the drive than I was in the Solara... Of course, 6 air-bags and a 5-star crash rating don't hurt the Altima's safety either. :P

That should explain why most cars are starting to strike a balance between comfort and sport. It has also been proven that MOST people like a car that is fun to drive. :)

BTW, I have an '08 Altima 2.5 S model, and even though it's firm, The car has never bottomed out or boomed on pot holes like you explained on your Accord. It might be worth it for you to take a look at it. ;)
    Thank you all for your input. I didn't want to make my original post too long to start with, so here's what I've experienced so far with other cars I've test driven.

2008 Accord LXP 4 cyl
    2009 Camry Ltd 6 cyl
    2008 Azera Ltd 6 cyl
    2009 Malibu LT 4 & 6 cyl
    2009 Impala LT 6 cyl
    2008 Fusion 4 & 6 cyl
    2008 Altima S 4 cyl

These are the cars that most review sites claimed to have the softest suspensions (maybe except the Malibu). At the time (1-1/2 years ago), the Accord was too expensive and I'm not sure I like it enough to buy another one anyway. The suspensions on the Camry, Azera and Impala were similar and were a little softer but not enough so that would make me lose a few thousand dollars trading my accord in for them. I really like the ride on the Fusion the best but I found the 4 cyl too weak and the 6 cyl had less hp and worse mpg than the others. The Altima, in my opinion, was not much softer than my Accord. I think maybe if they could, at least, put in struts/shocks that have more travel. That might make all the difference. Driving position is also important to me and my accord SE, w/o the power seats, is not comfortable to me. My Taurus had P/S. From the test drives, the most comfortable driving positions I experienced were in order........ Azera, Impala, Fusion, Malibu, Altima, Accord, Camry. So, I'm not sure what I'm going to go with if I can't find something with a ride like a 1967 Pontiac Bonneville. ;) Just kidding....I'm not really interested in RWD's either.
    Its not a midsize sedan, but might I suggest a NEW Taurus? My folks wanted a comfortable car for driving from Gulf Shores, AL to Birmingham, AL (a trip they make very regularly). They decided on the Taurus because they could get a Taurus SEL with 263hp, Leather, Sync, Convenience Pkg, etc... for cheaper than the local Honda dealer would sell them an LX 4-cyl Accord. $22k out-the-door earlier in the year.

I own two Accords, and recommended the Taurus to them. Its obviously a softer car, with lighter steering and a softer suspension, but it is also very very quiet, and a "safe" handler, if not a canyon-carver.

Check it out.
    Wait a few weeks... then the 2010 Fusion and Milan will be out, with a more powerful but more economical I4--plus a hybrid variant with power between the I4 and V6 and great fuel economy for a mid-sized sedan.

OTOH, if you liked the Impala, you can get a super deal right now on a closeout 2008 or, better yet, a slightly used 2008 (which I have seen advertised starting around $11k--you can likely get more than that for your 2007 Accord!). Another option is a 2008 Sonata, again available for around $11k with low miles and 3+ years of warranty left. So price should not be an issue if you want a smoother ride.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I'm glad to read the discussion about the good and bad of various suspension types. I too prefer a suspension that doesn't tranmit each pebble through the tires to the car seat. I like to travel for 7 hours and arrive feeling comfortable.

The tire profile and type of tire is also a big factor. I dread picking a next car because many have lower profile tires which transmit more road shock. I like a suspension that has control but is able to absorb. But when the wheels and tires are low height, a lot more is going to come through.

In some brands, going up to fancier, better equipped models also means a change in tire profile and ride.

I had a Mustang Pace Car that had the early Michelin TRX tires that were lower profile and I realized then how much the tires contribute to the irritation of tar strips and slight bumps that get tiring after a while, and that's only my opinion.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I couldn't agree more about the lower profile tires. I guess that's another beef I have with the more recent cars. I prefer a good 6"+ between the wheels and the road. 17"+ wheels are just too big for my liking. My Taurus had 16" and that's as big as I want to go.

Backy, I knew I forgot a car that I did test drive a couple of years ago, which was a Sonata, both the 4 & 6 cyl. I remember the ride being smooth and I liked the power of the V6 but still had the same issue with strut travel.....bottoming out with potholes and also sometimes going over speed bumps, etc. Also, I've been reading about too many people having issues with noisy suspensions on these cars. Not really sure what's up with that, though.
    I know what you mean about feeling every pebble and low-profile tires. I happened to get a Mazda3 when I rented a car in LA recently, and at first I said, "Yay, a Mazda3!" But after being punished by LA's freeways for a couple of days, I wished I had a smoother riding car. I almost wished I had rented a Camry. Almost. :)
    In that case I would seriously recommend to you the Lincoln Town Car or Mercury Marquis. That seems to be the road feel you're looking for if you find a Camry too firm (most of us who have experienced Camrys associate them with the old Buick plushie-ride...BTW Buick is a lot more road-connected these days too).

When the 2010 Fusion comes out in a month or two it's going to have improved horsepower on both engines, but I DON'T know if they're making changes to the suspension. Also, test-drive the BASE wheel size in a vehicle...a lot of times upgrades get plus-size wheels which lowers the tire profile.

A CAMRY too firm...now I've heard it all.
    My Optima is a bit too firm for me too,but one gets used to it.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >Also, test-drive the BASE wheel size in a vehicle...a lot of times upgrades get plus-size wheels which lowers the tire profile.

>A CAMRY too firm...now I've heard it all.

But be sure to test drive in the model you intend to purchase. If I understand, the Camry LE is softer and more Buick-like (I own two) while the SE is firmer. I had driven an SE when last shopping in 02.

Watch the tire pressure on the vehicle you test drive. Having the tires low or high can confuse your perception of whether the ride and drive is as you yourself would prefer.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

A CAMRY too firm...now I've heard it all.

and yet he said "I really like the ride on the Fusion" :surprise: :confuse:

I did not even test drive a Camry, as my assumption has always been that it is among the softest riding and vaguest handling cars (I also did not like the seat, anyway...so no need to drive one).

I'd have guessed the Fusion would be above (or below, depending on your desires) the Accord in terms firmness of ride. In any case, whatever the order between those two, I'm very surprised that someone who feels an Accord is too stiff and did not find the Camry to be different enough from the Accord, would like the Fusion's ride.
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    Watch the tire pressure on the vehicle you test drive. Having the tires low or high can confuse your perception of whether the ride and drive is as you yourself would prefer.

That's a mouthful.

When I picked up my Mazda6s GT it rode very firm. Now I like a firm ride, but this was starting to worry me. Every pavement joint was a jolt.

I checked the air pressure and each tire had 43 pounds of air. I lowered them all to 32 psi, which is what they are supposed to be, and now it's juuuust right.

I would guess that many cars driven on test drives have not had the complete PDI done yet, or they missed that part.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

as a ford guy, i would say wait a bit longer then try out the fusion with the 2.5 4cyl with the 6 speed auto.
    i have an 07 awd and i really like how the 6 speed works.
    the fusion ride is a bit soft for me and rolls too much in the corners. between my wife and i we had 3 taurii, but they were all sho's. :shades:
    Now now. If everyone had the same preferences in ride quality, everyone would be buying pretty much the same car, wouldn't they?? Everyone has their own perceptions and opinions of what is soft and what is firm and I respect that. When I read reviews on Edmunds, KBB, Car & Driver, etc and read that they concluded the ride to be very plush on cars like the Camry, Impala, Azera, etc, and that these cars had the tendancy to bounce and bob going over dips on the highway, my perception was that they would be similar to the cars of the 80's. I was just a little suprised (and maybe a little disappointed) that they weren't really that soft, that's all. I really don't want to go the large car route, like the Grand Marquis or the more expensive Town Car. That's really too big, even though I would probably come closer in achieving my objective, plus I don't want RWD. As far as Buicks go, I haven't actually driven one in probably 15 - 20 years. They have never been a car I've been drawn to but maybe I'll try one out. And, bpizutti, I never said the Camry's ride was "too firm". I said the ride was a bit softer than my Accord but not enough so that I would be willing to lose a few thousand trading it in. Reading everyone's input and opinions, it looks like I won't find that perfect ride but will have to make some compromises instead. I do appreciate and respect everyone's input in this discussion. Thanks :)
    after all that, you better let us know what you decide! :)
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    The Chevy Malibu LS (16" tires) comes close to the plush and quiet ride you are so desirous of. Unfortunately, the 2009 Mallibu comes with 17 inchers so I not sure if the ride characteristics are the same as the 2008.
    they concluded the ride to be very plush...these cars had the tendancy to bounce and bob going over dips on the highway, my perception was that they would be similar to the cars of the 80's. I was just a little suprised (and maybe a little disappointed) that they weren't really that soft, that's all.

If you are looking for a land barge, maybe an older car that was soft to start with and has softened up even more with age would be appealing. My 1997 Windstar floats and jiggles and jostles it's way down the road, I like to make barge-like foghorn noises while driving it :) . I'm sure it was always soft, but I think it is even more so now than when it was new.

If a new Camry doesn't do it, maybe a 10 year old one would give you that (lack of) feel that you seek ;) .

You could look into softer tires, some who like a soft ride have referred to Goodyear Comfort tread tires.
    New article on Edmunds shows that the Fusion Hybrid got far less then their EPA estimates and was actually beat out by the Camry by almost 6mpg city. They did say lousy weather could account for a bit of that.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    And a bunch of reporters BEAT the epa estimates, getting as much as 52 mpg.

Not surprising from Edmunds, given their past track record.

I can't find a link to the article.......
    It's on inside Line. They also came out and said that weather was the likely factor, and they needed to test the vehicles the same day under the same conditions, as the two figures are not comparable given the different testing conditions.

So much as the secret Toyota agents try, there is no pulling down Ford. :shades:
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    Good read on the 2010 Fusion Hybrid. I did enjoy it. :)
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    And a bunch of reporters BEAT the epa estimates, getting as much as 52 mpg.

One of them being Motor Trend. They compared it directly to the Camry, Altima, and Malibu hybrids on the same days and in the same conditions. That is how you are supposed to conduct a comparison and Edmunds needs to follow up with this because they just compared apples to oranges in that article. The Fusion came out way ahead of all of them in the MT comparo BTW.

Edmunds seems to have arrived at unusually high numbers for the Camry in that article too. Be it the weather, the driver, or whatever, something seems terribly off balance with their results.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Hybrids are great on gas and all but with $1.80 gas, no one cares anymore. Sales of the Prius are down 50%.

I fear the Fusion Hybrid is not going to sell all that well but I think the I-4 will if priced well. People need to give big three cars like Fusion and Malibu a drive, they are really good.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Ford is only selling 25K FFHs as opposed to the Prius at 100K. Ford won't have any trouble selling 25K FFHs. Escape hybrids are still selling well. People who buy Fusion and Escape Hybrids don't do it just for the mpg. They're just buying the most fuel efficient version of that vehicle. Most people who buy a Prius buy it strictly for the fuel mileage so of course they're going to be affected more by low gas prices.
    "Ford is only selling 25K FFHs as opposed to the Prius at 100K. "
    Care to explain that? A Prius certainly does not cost 100K,and what is a FFH?
    100k cars (not price). Ford Fusion Hybrid.

Even though Ford has modest sales goals for the Fusion Hybrid, it will be interesting to see how it does if gas stays below $2 a gallon. The hybrid starts around $27k, and a Fusion I4 can be had with decent equipment for under $20k--with improved fuel economy for the 2010 model year. Those who are OK spending $27k+ for a hybrid may turn to the 2010 Prius, if it is roomy enough. Then there's the 2010 Insight, reportedly starting well under $18k, if a smaller car will fit. The Insight is a compact, though, so not direct competition for the Fusion. But I think the Prius is. As is the Camry hybrid of course, which is improved for 2010 MY also and has a starting price less than the Fusion.
    "FFH" is Ford Fusion Hybrid. 25K is how many units are projected to build.

The Prius sells at about 100,000 units per year is what he was implying.

Since Ford already has trouble meeting the demands for the Escape / Mariner Hybrid, I have no doubt that Ford will have any issue selling the 25,000 the intend to build.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    The Insight is a compact, though, so not direct competition for the Fusion. But I think the Prius is.

They compete in FE only. Sure they are sized similarly but the Fusion, and Camry for that matter, are much more refined and better as daily drivers than the Prius (I've never driven one so this is purely off of what I've read over the years). If you still think the Prius is a direct competitor to the FFH then you must think it competes with it's lot-mate the Camry hybrid right? Why would Toyota put two competing cars on the same lots everywhere?

As is the Camry hybrid of course, which is improved for 2010 MY also and has a starting price less than the Fusion.

The FFH offers a bit more than the Camry hybrid though. To get any sort of high tech readout of the hybrid system in the Camry you have to get the nav. The FFH offers a high tech solution to that want right out of the box. Then there's the FE gap between the two and some other small things that, IMO, make the Fusion worth the extra grand or grand and a half over the Camry.