Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If you want good handling in bad weather, you might look at the Legacy. Not great pickup with the 4 cylinder, but might be quick enough for you. Accord is not the best for road noise--for low road noise you might want to look at the Camry. Fusion/Milan is a good overall choice also, and has an AWD option (but IMO the Legacy is a better choice if you are going AWD). All of these are reliable. As someone else noted, you might take a look at the Sonata and Optima also--esp. the Sonata if you don't want something that looks like a typical mid-sized sedan.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Yes.

I own a 2008 Accord and it's been great. Excellent room. Good Handling. Nice mpg. Good quality.

There are other good choices too. It's a very competitive segment, and there are a lot of nice choices at just a little bit more than 20k.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    As everyone else has stated, there really isn't a "bad" car in this segment (well,except maybe the Avenger/Sebring twins. :) ).

The next thing you should do is get behind the wheel and test each of them for yourself. We can all type about a billion pros and cons for each vehicle (and every other midsize sedan that you didn't mention), but the only thing that can actually help narrow down your choices is taking each of them out for a test-drive or two. Check out the controls, how each of them rides/drives, how quiet/loud they are, etc.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Fusion is a very good choice, in fact since Ford is dropping the Mercury brand, there will soon be some good deals on the Milan. I have a 2010 Sport, fast, quiet, comfortable, smooth ride, Sync, good MPG even with the high HP motor. Compared to the 2009 Camry I had, its worlds better.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    There is already around $1500 - $2500 in extra dealer cash on the remaining Mercurys.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Between the 3 vehicles I would either go with the Altima or Mazda 6 based on the characteristics your looking for.

Big reason I axed the Accord is during my test drive and many many reviews from car mags, I felt and the reviewers felt it did not suppress road and wind noise that well, especially in the 4cyl models nor does the Accord have the pick-up or crisper handling that the Altima or Mazda 6 have.

Now, between the Altima and Mazda 6 its a toss up. The Mazda 6 definitely has more crisp handling but the Altima has less road noise compared to the Mazda 6 and slightly better pick-up and go and also better mpg.

You really should test drive both again and see which one fits your needs better.
  • brainfertilizebrainfertilize Member Posts: 46
    I second this.
    The Altima and Mazda6 are the most sporty, from my research and experience.

Even though the Fusion/Milan are basically the same car as the 6, they are tuned slightly differently, if I understand correctly.

Most reviewers say the Altima is just a *little* bit more sporty than the Mazda6, as well as slightly more fuel efficient (probably due to the CVT). But many other reviewers didn't like the feel of the CVT.

The Mazda6 has plenty of acceleration for me, corners like its on rails, glides over road roughness like it was on air, and is extremely quiet on the road. Not Lexus-level of luxurious quiet, but far better than any Honda product (I've previously owned CRVs and Civics...Honda gets good gas mileage mainly by making lighter cars by skimping on sound insulation that weighs cars down).

I favor the Mazda6. It is bigger than the Altima for rear-seat room. It has the biggest trunk in the class. IIRC, it has the tightest turning radius in its class. I think it is *much* better looking than the Altima, but also than the Camry, Accord, or Fusion/Milan.

I chose the Mazda6 4-cyl due to fuel economy concerns...I haven't gotten addicted to V-6 sport sedan acceleration/power, so the 4-cyl was great for me. One reviewer said the 4-cyl actually handles better because the lighter engine weight over the 6-cyl results in better overall balance. I don't know, but I have never checked acceleration speed with a stopwatch even once in my life, so I don't care about exactly how many seconds it takes to get from 0-60. What I care about most is how the car handles, how it feels...

Even though Mazda has some reputation of some problems (biggest problems about 10-15 years ago), so does Nissan...I really don't feel like I trust Nissan engineering for long-term reliability, and I think Mazda has increased its reliability significantly over the last decade.

Still, I wish I'd taken the time to test drive at least the Altima, if not also the Fusion (even though I dislike the Fusion's looks immensely). You shouldn't depend totally on reviews, like I did.

I was actually originally looking for a Mazda3, because I had driven the previous generation and loved its handling and acceleration...and reviewers said the current 3 was just as good in every way, or better. I hadn't considered or researched the 6 or its competitors because reviewers also said the 6 had sacrificed handling for size and comfort. But when I drove the 2010 Mazda3, I was underwhelmed. It just didn't feel as peppy as the 2008 Mazda3 I had test-driven previously. But interestingly, despite being larger and heavier, I felt the Mazda6 was actually more zippy/peppy/nimble than the 3!

So I immediately started negotiating for the 6, and purchased one that day. I haven't regretted it...a month later, I still feel a thrill when I accelerate around a corner on my morning commute. I expect I'll have that thrill for a number of years. Hopefully the whole 10.
  • cincyhoyacincyhoya Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2010
    I bought a '11 Sonata SE 6 months ago and love it / would highly recommend it. I test drove a Fusion as well (granted a Sport so higher price point) and loved how it drove, but wasn't a fan of the exterior style or value. Let's face it, nobody NEEDS to spend $27k on a car (a Fit will get you points A to B nicely), so curb appeal and panache matter and the Fusion didn't do it for me, but the ride was fun. In the Fusion, the 4 cyl felt underwhelming, so I cross-shopped that V6 with the Sonata. I also looked at the new model Legacy - big fan of Subies generally but, like the Fusion, to get the features I wanted put the price well north of the Sonata.

I didn't test drive an Altima (to me the current body style has been around too long and I'm afraid a whole sale change would kill value) or a the Mazda6 (bad impressions form rental cars), but from all accounts, the new model Mazda6 is a big winner, so you probably owe it to yourself to check it out.

That said, like expressed above, if you can buy an Accord EX for $18k, do it. That's just too good to pass up. I've driven the current model and it's certainly respectable. Not quite my driving style, but better than a Camry.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Even though the Fusion/Milan are basically the same car as the 6, they are tuned slightly differently, if I understand correctly.

That was true for the 1st generation. The first Fusion was a virtual copy of the Mazda6. The current variations of the Fusion and Mazda6 are much further apart. They share similar 4-cyl engines and a similar platform, but, they rest is vastly different.
    The first Fusion was a virtual copy of the Mazda6.

I recall a thread recently that jumped all over someone because he suggested the MKZ was just like the Fusion. So this looks like fair game... a "virtual copy"? Really?? :surprise:
    edited October 2010
    a "virtual copy"? Really??

After touring the AAI factory in Flat Rock, MI where the Mazda6 and Ford Mustang are built, the chief vehicle quality inspector for the Mazda6, who was our tour guide, mentioned that Ford used the Mazda6 to mold it into a Ford Fusion and saved $10 billion in doing so. His own words were that the Fusion was identical in many, many ways. They even shared some of the same paint choices.

So, yes the 1st gen Ford Fusion was a "virtual" copy of the Mazda6, as far as engineering goes. Don't mistake my statement as being equal to a re-badge, like Fusion/Milan, but, it's as close as you can get without being a re-badge.
    edited October 2010
    Paint colors. Wow. But not: exterior; interior; suspension tuning (Fusion/Milan much smoother than the Mazda6); shifters (that sucky AT shifter on the Fulan); electronics (no Sync or touchpad locks on the Mazda, for example). No AWD on the Mazda6. Also the little thing about the Fulan being considerably bigger inside and out than the last Mazda6.

Yes, the MKZ is an exact clone of the Fulan, if the Fulan and Mazda6 are virtual copies.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    As an owner of an '07 Fusion, get into the same gen Mazda6 and the a Fusion.
    You will immediately notice the difference. I know you are aware of this already, so your post surprises me.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    The first gen Fusion was longer and wider than the Mazda6 on which it was based. The current Fusion and Mazda6 are much closer in size. They did start with a Mazda6 platform and they do/did share a lot of internal parts. But it's nowhere near a "virtual copy".
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    If you purchased a rearview camera for your car, a reporter wants to hear from you. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, October 6, 2010 with your daytime contact information and your thoughts on the system.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Here's an interesting article about the changes made to the star crash rating for vehicles for the model year 2011 and beyond.Not many have been tested yet, but the 2011 Sonata did pretty good, the 2011 Camry not so good!

Stars on Cars

SaferCar.gov 2011 ratings
    The Sonata did "pretty good"? Looks like it scored the top score possible--5. No other mid-sized family sedan tested to date got higher than 4. Note however the Sonata's score applies to cars made "later"--not sure what the cutoff date is for that. The score for cars made earlier is 4.

Looks like Toyota has some work to do when they redesign the Camry.
    edited October 2010
    As an owner of an '07 Fusion, get into the same gen Mazda6 and the a Fusion.
    You will immediately notice the difference. I know you are aware of this already, so your post surprises me.

I own a '05 Mazda6 and have driven the 1st gen Fusion several times. I am aware the feel different, and look different. I think you are missing my point, or I am not conveying it well enough.

Perhaps the word "identical" was a little strong, but, the Fusion was created from the Mazda6. Ford literally took a Mazda6 and turned it into a Fusion. They did not just start on the platform and build something different, they actually sculpted the Mazda6 into a Fusion.
    edited October 2010
    Kinda like saying that the Ford Edge is "identical" to (or a "virtual copy" of) the Fusion, because the Edge is based on the Fusion's platform. But they are much different vehicles, aren't they?
    Kinda like saying that the Ford Edge is "identical" to (or a "virtual copy" of) the Fusion, because the Edge is based on the Fusion's platform.

No, you are missing my point. The 1st Mazda6 and Fusion had far more in common than the platform. That is my point. A platform, or platform design is a very small piece of the pie and does not cost $10,000,000,000 to develop. Ford saved that exact amount when designing the Fusion because the took a completed Mazda6, made some changes (some minor, some major) and called it a Fusion. It's a fact.

What we see now from Ford is an evolution from that concept and they seem to have created a much better version with the current Fusion. Mazda also went in a different direction with the Mazda6 and it too is better (or worse depending on which 1st gen Mazda6 owner you talk to).

Either way, both are great cars and have strong roots to one another. Now, they are more like distant cousins with the amount of differences they have.
    Right. And those changes included: entirely different exterior; entirely different interior; much different size, inside and out; different powertrain choices; different wheels; different electronics (audio/entertainment, security etc.); different suspension tuning (and parts?). What was the same? Looks like (part of) the floorpan, some sharing of engines... what else? Oh yes... some paint colors.

"Distant cousins" is a much more accurate description. But not just now... also as of the debut of the Fusion in 2005.

If you want to talk about "virtually identical" in an accurate fashion, here's one that I can agree with: Fusion and Milan. Pretty much identical except minor styling and trim choices.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    edited October 2010
    Backy, wasn't the Fusion the larger of the two? I own a 2009 Fusion SEL V6 and it seems to me that compared to my Boss' Mazda 6 which was a 2008 that my fusion had more interior room especially rear legroom.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
    Correct.
    edited October 2010
    entirely different interior

Different in appearance. Location of HVAC vents, location of power control switches are in the exact same place.

different powertrain choices

Same engines / different tranny's.

different electronics

The basic electrical system was the same. They even shared the same ECU

different suspension tuning (and parts?).

Same rear end suspension (E-Type Multilink), Similar front suspension

What we saw with the 1st Fusion and 1st Mazda6 is similar to what you see with the new Sonata and Kia Optima. The look different and feel different, but, from an engineering stand point, they are almost identical. I'm sorry, but, deciding what sheet metal is on the car, or how stiff a suspension is does not make cars "distant cousins".

If you don't want to believe what I am saying, I really don't care. With working for Mazda for many years and having talked to engineers, corporate executives and countless other Mazda insiders as well as being associated with a Ford, I do know a little more then the average person.
    You can see the bones of the Mazda 6, but the Fusion is a lot bigger all the way around.
    If the Fusion was a jacket, you have to take it off to see the shirt (Mazda 6) underneath.
    Location of vents in the same place? You mean, one in each corner and some in the center? With the audio system below, and the HVAC controls below that? Like on almost every sedan on the road today? Note the original Mazda6's center vents are actually lower than the original Fusion's to allow for the LED display... which the Fusion doesn't have, at least not centered on the upper dash. No, the Fusion's display is in the instrument cluster. And the Fusion's HVAC controls are maddeningly blocked by the shifter, whereas the Mazda6's are a bit higher, and bigger, and easier to grab.

Location of power control switches? Where would you expect them to be, on the roof? Or trunklid, perhaps? Note the huge difference in controls--audio system, HVAC, of course the steering wheel and its controls, and the instrument cluster.

Re powertrain, as you noted, the cars have different trannies, plus the Fusion has an AWD powertrain option and the Mazda6 doesn't. And the fours aren't really "identical", although the Fusion's 2.3L Duratec is based on the MZR. (In the latest Fusion and Mazda6, the 2.5L fours are identical, from what I've heard. But this is about the original Mazda6 and Fusion.)

Perhaps the different front suspension is responsible for the different ride/handling of the two cars.

To me, having almost everything on a car be different except a partial floorpan, engines (and even those aren't exactly the same), some suspension parts, and some electrical components doesn't make them "virtually identical" as you asserted. "Distant cousins", yes. Some shared DNA, but they look/act much different.

The Mazda6 and Focus are no more "virtually identical" than the 2011 Sonata and 2011 Optima are virtually identical. They are much different cars, with some shared parts. Actually, the Sonata and Optima have more in common than the original Mazda6 and Fusion. At least the Sonata and Optima share their entire powertrains.

Your working for Mazda for many years doesn't make you any less susceptible to hyperbole than the next person, it appears. ;-)
    This matches exactly what I understand/see from looking at the cars with my own eyes and with what I've read when researching the Mazda6.

I know for sure that the original Fusion was a Mazda6 with pretty much only cosmetic differences other than a stretched frame...otherwise, the differences were less than you could have within trim levels of the same car (different transmission...)

I was under the impression that the increased size of the current Mazda6 made it even closer to the current Fusion, but I could be wrong about that.

But I absolutely, 100% see the current Mazda6 in these pictures originally linked in this post.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Well, I hate to break it to ya, but that's a Ford Mondeo body over the new Fusion's chassis. The exterior isn't really what you should expect for the final product; it's a current Mondeo.

Ford started with a Mazda6 and both widened and lengthened it for the CD3 Fusion then added unique sheetmetal and interior. They shared basic engine components, electrical architecture, hvac, etc. So maybe first cousins would be more appropriate than "distant" cousins or clones.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    edited October 2010
    1. How long do you think Toyota will continue this plan?

2. How soon until other manufacturers offer similar plans? Or will they not follow suit?

3. Gimmick or smart marketing? How would you compare this program to what Hyundai did with offering their 10yr/100K warranty? Same goal or different?

Toyota Free Maintenance Plan

Let's hear your thoughts.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    1. This is probably worth about $300 or so. If they find it increases sales they will probably keep it for some time. If not, it will go away quickly(see answer to #3)

2. Don't think others will follow suit.

3. Gimmick. Not even close to the Hyundai warranty. Toyota is just trying to create some positive buzz....Hyundai did it for survival.
    I know that.

But the similarities are remarkable.
  • rdm925rdm925 Member Posts: 46
    Hello kcokie,
    After all the discussion back and forth, did you make a decision on which car to buy? :shades:
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Backy, need your help over in the Chevy Cruze discussion...turning into a "pissing match" over there. Sorry to come in here to find ya, but need your expertise!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited October 2010
    When I bought my Fusion, I got free oil changes for life.
    7 oil change/tire rotations, plus 2 air filters and 2 set of wipers: $200.
    I guess the maintenance plan evens up the Toyota dealers.
    Good opportunity to sneak in some secret fixes too. 'plbt'
    cept your plan was from the dealer....this is a nationwide program from Toyota. Still a gimmick though.
    My point is, the dealer does not have to offer it. It does cost the dealer real money for 5 quarts of oil, a filter, and the labor.
    Didn't I state that what Toyota is doing is probably worth about $300? That's real money too and they don't have to do it but it's still a gimmick. In the whole scheme of things I firmly believe they'll be recouping that money one way or the other.
    I'm honored you would ask me to "come over" to the Cruze discussion, but my time is kinda limited now. I will say, since the Cruze is technically mid-sized by interior space, it looks like GM's best U.S.-offered compact yet. But at a big bump in price over the Cobalt. Can't wait to drive one when I begin my next car search... but that won't be for awhile. Hopefully some will turn up in rental fleets--instead of those Cobalts.
    Gimmick. Check the "official" Toyota maintenance schedule. What is required over the first 25k miles? A few oil changes, maybe a filter or two. Not a whole lot. Compare that to, say, my local Hyundai/Kia dealer that offers free oil changes for life on all new cars--and that's based on the severe service schedule, e.g. every 3750 miles. There's many dealerships in my town that offer this perk.

No, I don't see the Toyota free maintenance plan as being any big deal. But certainly better than nothing. I'd much rather they bump up the warranty to match the likes of Hyundai, Kia, and Mitsubishi. Toyota supposedly makes very reliable cars, so a longer warranty should cost them almost nothing, right?

P.S. Note VW's plan includes 3 years/36k miles of maintenance. Much better deal than Toyota's plan. But I'd rather have the longer warranty with VW also.
  • kaliforniakkaliforniak Member Posts: 51
    I spotted a white 2011 Optima on way to work today going the opposite direction here in Irvine, CA where Kia's HQ is. I thought it was a Forte until I saw the panoramic roof. The car looks really good in person, like something completely out of its class. The photos really don't do the car justice since it doesn't capture the beautiful proportions of the cars as well. I would have chased the car down if I didn't have to go to work :D

PS : Maybe I'll drive over to Kia HQ tomorrow to see if they have one on display.
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    Put the Fusion on your list. I bought an 06 Fusion SEL V6, loaded with every option. I now have 65,000 trouble free, rattle free, squeak free miles on this car. I average 24.2 MPG per my computer. On trips I can go as high as 30.1 MPG. This car has been a great value. When shopping in 2006 the Fusion was a good $1000 - $2000 less than a comparably equipped Accord or Camry. I don't know about now with the popularity of the Fusion how the pricing has affected this.
    It's basically 5 oil change/tire rotations plus a cleaning of the cabin air filter, so $300 is in the ballpark.
    The floor mats are also checked every service to make sure they are secure.
    I guess a dealer could still do oil changes for life. They would just start after 25k on the dealer's dime.
    This has been added just recently for 2.5 years...any little bit helps. Got a feeling the other major players will be jumping in on this real soon...a win win all around!!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Added for who??
    It's for new owners, commercials started running on Friday down here in South Florida. Looks like the bar has been raised folks...now let's see if the other players in this market will be stepping up to the plate. We have it on our Mazda & it's a great added feature!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

New owners of what, exactly? You never said which vehicle.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Yeah, what the hell is "it?"
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    edited October 2010
    Considering the previous posts on the subject over the past few days (i.e., one page ago), I sort of assumed he was talking about the Camry.