Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Those extra few inches of height make the difference.
    I have 2 fingers of room over my head.
    Sometimes power seats cannot be dropped as low as manual seats due to the power mechanism.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    The exhaust system on my 2000 mercury sable needed no attention for the 156K miles (and ten years) that I owned it. I was amazed but my metalurgist friend said that with the new stainless materials such longevity should be routine. A prior ford ranger truck rusted out every 2-3 years (1988 model). Things have changed. The Sable was not an expensive car for its time ($20K). It similar to the spark plug story. I did not have to touch the wiring or plugs in that Sable ever. Engineers are our friends and keep improving the materials. I wish they could improve the longevity of tires which become ever more expensive as the tire size creeps up. I find that in order to have confidence in my tires they need replacement every 40K miles or so. It becomes a significant maintenance expense. But the tires are the most important safety element in most driving conditions.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Yes, there is little exhaust system work to be done these days for most cars. We had a 1986 Plymouth Horizon that, like your Ranger, needed a new exhaust system about every 3 years. But a 1989 Voyager never had any exhaust work for the 12 years and 120K miles that we had it. We have a 1997 Windstar that also still has had no exhaust system work.

A 1991 Sentra that we had bought used from a relative did require a new exhaust system a couple times in about 15 years.
  • kaliforniakkaliforniak Member Posts: 51
    The 6 S GT is the only car that passed it's second test drive with me out of all the cars that I can afford. Every other car I test drive completely failed by the second drive. The CC failed because it's light steering and the Sonata Turbo just isn't all that exciting. The 6 is every bit as exciting the second time as the first time.

So now I'm asking a friend whose dad works for Mazda to see if he can get a S-Plan pin for m. Hopefully he comes through. I know there is a $500 dollar rebate if I finance with Mazda but is there a loyalty rebate available for the 2011 6? Also, does anybody know what kind of financing rates is available with the college grad program?
  • rdm925rdm925 Member Posts: 46
    Hi, I'm glad you are choosing the Mazda 6. We just brought a 2011 3s Sport Sedan for our daughter and I drive a 076i 5-door. I'm not sure about the 2011 6, but there was a $500 loyalty rebate on the 2011 3s and we qualify for the s-plan. Also, there was some special financing available. Good Luck and enjoy purchasing your new 6s. Zoom-Zoom :shades:
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I was there on Saturday. Ford had the largest and most impressive displays. GM was large but more muted.

Lots of crowds in general. Hyundai was packed. Ford was crowded. GM was somewhat less so.

Some random car impressions:

Volt - I didn't really like the taillights on this one. Car seemed ok.
    Malibu - showing its age. Some cheapness inside. Newer GMs look better.
    Regal - Very nice interior. A big step up from older GM models, even the Malibu
    Cruze - Very nice interior. This is a really nice looking compact sedan. IMHO a lot better than the new cheapened Jetta, and I was previously a VW fan.
    Sonata - Very nice. Interior is pretty good; I'd say the two GMs listed above were better. Styling looks good.
    New Elantra - just like a smaller Sonata. Outside looks great. Head room a bit lacking in the back. Interior not as "boy racer" looking as it appeard in photos.
    Fusion - nice car, a bit more bland when compared to Sonata and Regal. Ford needs to keep improving here.
    New Jetta - Still pretty nice, but interior is bland and not much style in front. Nice seats. Everybody is moving away from the complex trunk hinges to the gooseneck design.
    A4 - Nice car; compact cockpit. Even the A4 I believe is now goosneck hinge. But expensive.
    C300 - I really like the interior of this car, as well as the exterior looks. But expensive. I don't know how it would drive, of course.
    BMW 5 series - Nice but I just can't see paying in the $50's for this car.
    Infiniti EX - really cute and nice A3-style hatch, but wow, costs in the mid $40's. Too expensive.
    New Corolla - on display, says it is a prototype. Much less bland than previously, but still no competition on looks to the current Civic or new Elantra. Toyota is really looking like it is for old folks.
    Forte - very nice looking car but I would still not buy this nameplate.
    Camry - had not sat in one so checked it out. Definitely not up to the interiors of other comparable makes. Pretty boring.
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    No Optima Hybrid sighting? I'm curious how it looks in person.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Hey everyone-

Today, my in-laws picked up a new 2011 MKZ Hybrid from the Ford/Lincoln dealer in my dealer group. They traded in their 2004 Nissan Maxima SL, which they loved.

They opted for a Tuxedo Black one with the dark charcoal interior and wood grain accents. As for options, they got the the Rapid Spec 202A Package which includes navigation, THX audio system, blind spot system, adaptive HID lights, back-up camera, SYNC and many other features.

I think the interior quality is phenomenal. It is really put together well and the instrument cluster and nav interface is top notch. I like how the gauge cluster has a couple different formats of which you can alter to change what you are viewing. The THX II sound system is simply amazing.

As for the drive, it is a very comfortable drive, and the hybrid/gas engine transition is rather seamless. Observed FE on the initial test drive was 37mpg. With the way my in-laws drive, I suspect they will get getting around 39 as an average, similar to what owners of Fusion hybrids are getting.

I'm not a huge fan of the chrome clad wheels, and I think the exterior could be a little better, but, overall, it is a very impressive car.

What I found to be very interesting was the hybrid version of the MKZ does not cost any more than a regular V6 MKZ FWD. I think that is a smart move by Lincoln. The price they paid was obviously heavily discounted. The perks of being in the business!

Overall, I really like this car. The technology is outstanding, drive is nice and FE is fantastic. I believe my in-laws will be very pleased.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Pretty sure they will be. Ford has come a long way and is making some outstanding cars that are starting to blow Toyota out of the water now. Our 2010 Fusion Sport has been troublefree for 26k miles now, my Flex has 10200 trouble free miles. My only complaint on the Flex, it could use better brakes for something with the kind of power it has, the Fusion, no complaints at all. If the Quality in the Fusion is high, then it stands for good reason the Lincoln will have even higher quality.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    edited December 2010
    I know I'm late to the party, but I just found this discussion.
    Surely this dead horse can take another poke...

I tend to be on the "new" side of the New Vs. Used argument, for a number of reasons... but it depends very much on the model, and on your luck and skill, probably in that order.

And certainly, the cheapest cars I've run have been used clunkers, but I've also bought into trouble, and I've had a couple very inexpensive new cars. As in less than ten cents per mile to drive a new car.

There are some models that one should clearly buy new, or just not buy. My aplogies to those who've seen this before; the numbers aren't up to date, but the concept is:
    https://www.msu.edu/~steine13/cars.html

Cheers -Mathias
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Is anyone else having trouble seeing the entire message in the window provided? Maybe it's just me and my old version of IE.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    It would be interesting to see a similar graph for a GM or Ford vehicle.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Sounds like it may be time to upgrade, grad. Have you stopped by here yet?
    Edmunds Redesign Feedback
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I've not been there (hadn't seen it). I knew you guys would help me in a pinch.

I'm at work, and for some reason, our tech runs circa 2003. IE 6, no Flash Player, and no ability to change that without administrator capabilities. BOO. :sick:
    Try a flash drive with one of the browsers from here: http://portableapps.com/apps/internet

I use their portable chrome on a flash drive myself.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    The new format works on the above mentioned browsers as well as Opera & Chrome. Try upgrading the IE if that's your browser of choice. I personally use Firefox for Edmunds.com!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

The short version:

Optima has more features and has a "sportier more confident demeanor" without sacrificing compliance and comfort. Sonata was a hair faster and lighter, while taking more of a lexus/camry approach to insulating the ride.

http://www.insideline.com/kia/optima/2011/2011-hyundai-sonata-vs-2011-kia-optima- -comparison-test.html

"True, it's been a veritable five-month love fest with our long-term Sonata GLS. We appreciate its segment-leading styling, its relaxed and generously sized interior, its many useful features, plus its long-haul comfort and affordability. Then we drove the 2011 Kia Optima. It made us realize for the first time that the Sonata's ride qualities border on floaty and that the Sonata's light-colored cloth seating was neither all that supportive, nor resilient to the grime that comes with everyday use. And if we didn't have an aversion to the Sonata's steering before, we certainly do now that we know it can be tuned like the Optima's.

The Optima EX manages to possess a ride as compliant as the Sonata in addition to a sportier feel and a more confident demeanor. Its more supportive leather seating lends a sense of solidity and there's a sturdiness and poise when piloting the Optima down the freeway or on a twisting road that we never have observed in our Sonata. Some of this is owed to the steering and some to suspension, but we like it all together.

In contrast, the 2011 Hyundai Sonata feels as if its primary goal is to carry its passengers with as little sensation of traveling as possible — which is not a bad thing, just a different approach to tuning the chassis. Lexus has found success with this ideal. Then again, Mercedes-Benz has recently earned more acclaim sloughing off the old ways and offering a more connected, more engaging dynamic without sacrificing comfort, too. "

"We often see comparison tests like this one produce point spreads in the five-to-10-point range. With a commanding 16.3-point margin of victory over the reigning champ, the Kia Optima EX beat the 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS at its own game; proving that it is a truly a car worth your consideration — just like the 2011 Hyundai Sonata did when it was introduced

Our clever scheme to compare the same car with different wrappers became a rather significant victory for one and a bit of a black eye for the other. It turns out there are enough differences in content, execution and dynamics to declare the Optima EX a completely different — and better — car than the Sonata GLS."
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    after reading this '11 Kia Optima vs. '11 Hyundai Sonata comparo is say "I could've told ya so."

But nothing I read in the above review would surprise me too much. I have always felt that Kia makes more of an enthusiast's automobile while Hyundai makes more of a Toyota-type rig for the masses.

Take a look at total sales of cars and also the total number of comments on the Edmunds' Hyundai threads ta wade through vs. total comments on the Edmunds' Kia threads. Large difference overall. Kind of an odd point but more people tend to gravitate towards Hyundai vs. towards Kia. And reviews like the one above don't explain why that ought to be.

I prefer Kia to Hyundai, I've bought two new Kia's and loved them both, and I would venture a guess I always will prefer Kia. The only two Hyundai's I have ever test-drove and have almost bought were a 1999 Hyundai Elantra sedan in a burnt orange color that Hyundai called red. Was a good rig, but Mrs.iluvmysephia1 went through the roof with disdain at the thought of that one. She did go along on the test drive. :blush:

The other two test drives were of the 2003 Hyundai Tiburon 5-speed sportsters. I enjoyed my test drives but we primarily always want and need 4-door rigs and...Mrs.iluvmysephia1 wasn't down wid this vehicle at all.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I think Hyundai has completely overcome its bad reputation from its early days of selling crappy cars, while Kia has not yet done so. While Kia cars may be fine today, there are many ex-owners with stories of how bad cars such as, well, the Sephia were.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Wouldn't a comparo of the Sonata GLS to the Optima LX be more fair, or Sonata Limited to Optima EX? The comments re the Optima's leather seats vs. Sonata's cloth are one example that this was a mis-match. Also, the Limited has larger rims, which could have helped the Sonata in the handling department.

I wonder which car I would like better: a base trim Sonata with its cloth seats, or the higher-trim Optima with its leather seats and other goodies. Duh.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    not up on the Kia nomenclature, but is the EX equivilant to the Sonata SE? If so, maybe the SE has the firmer suspension and tighter handling missing from the GLS.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

That's true, the SE has a sport-tuned suspension. But the SE is not available with a leather interior--the Optima EX is. If anything, it would be the Optima SX that is the "sport" trim for the Optima.
    Yes absolutely the cars were not evenly matched in terms of add ons I agree. They admit as much. Better to compare it to an SE or Limited. Still, all told the Optima does have a number of features the Sonata does not. Heated rear seats, cooled front seats, panoramic sunroof, cooled glove box, Heated steering wheel, HID lights, LED tail lights, push button start (?) and eventually the UVO system. I think none of those are available on Sonata, correct me if I'm wrong though.

The steering should be a pretty straight up comparison, and the interior layout and dash materials. Ride quality you could use the Sonata SE although the Optima SX and turbo EX should be even more sport tuned with larger breaks than the base EX.
    I am pretty sure the Sonata (Limited) has heated rear seats and push button start (even the Elantra has those). Not cooled front seats though, or the panoramic sunroof etc.

I saw some Optimas at my local Hyundai/Kia dealer the other day, and the one in Dark Cherry was especially sharp. And it was an LX! It appeared to have standard alloys, and good looking ones at that. Probably everything I'd need for about $21k list.
    You're probably right on those options I keep forgetting the details.

I'm in the market for the SX but I really think the LX and EX are such tremendous values. Definitely sharp looking on paper. I have yet to sit in one but the local dealer called me tonight to say they are in. Gotta go check em out!
    The more I look at the Optima, the uglier it gets. I saw one in person, and the way the interior is designed just does not do it for me. I prefer the styling of the Sonata by a long shot.
    I guess that validates Hyundai/Kia's decision to make the Sonata and Optima look much different. Some will prefer the Sonata's "fluidic" styling, and some the Optima's more European lines. And they'll sell lots of both. I think both are good looking, but in different ways. The only thing I don't like much on the Optima's exterior is the shape of the window behind the rear doors. But maybe that's the favorite stylistic detail for others.
    The new Optima is easily the best looking sedan in the segment.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    If you can look past the pizza pie wheel covers and bowtie pasta grill.
    I like the Optima grill very much, but I also like the Sonata grill which many find "polarizing". The Optima front is a little too busy, but I still say it's easily the best looking car in the segment and will wear well over time. The wheels can be replaced on the SX so I'm not worried about them.
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    edited December 2010
    If you don't like the "pizza pie" wheels, don't get them. There are other wheel styles available.
    The alloys on the base LX are just fine, IMO. And the grille isn't as fussy on the LX either, or at least it didn't appear to be. Sometimes the lower trims without all the "fancy" stuff look better to me than the high-zoot trims. I was never a fan of cladding, for example.
    Less chrome is always a positive for me. I can't see what the grill difference is, but Kia refers to the SX as having a chrome front grill...so I am guessing there is less chrome in the lower trim level grill.

I also noticed that none of the trim levels appear to have chrome trim framing the windows. Avoiding that feature is not easy to do these days, so that would be another plus in the looks category for me.
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    I like chrome-trimmed windows, consider that feature to be a plus.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    0-60 mph (sec.) 7.7

Sonata GLS manual according to Edmunds.

Sounds pretty fast to me. I think it's maybe about a second faster than my 08 Accord 5mt, but I'm not sure....
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    That's about .7 seconds slower than my Fusion.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Really? What engine and transmission on the Fusion?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    That's about .7 seconds slower than my Fusion.

That is a Fusion Sport with the 3.5 and an automatic, right?
    yeah, so for a 4 banger it does pretty good. Now if the POS badyear tires on mine would grip the road instead of spinning, the car could do better. :)
  • netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Nearly fell over backwards when a friend of mine who sells F--ds called me to tell me that they'd picked up a 2009 Optima LX with 1,875 miles. He knows I've been watching for an Optima for some time now.

Will check this one out next week after the Holiday fracas is behind me.

The price is high, as expected. A fast visual lookover showed no blemishes on the finish and the Carfax is clean. They're asking $14,800 for it, which I think is well above KBB and NADA retail for a clean one.

Also came across another low miler 2008 with 16K on the clock. This one is not too far away so it's on the list to be checked out as well. This one is at a F---d dealer as well.

Just missed an '09 with 13K, clean Carfax, private owner trade to a Cadillac/Chevy dealer. That was priced at $12,700.

Since I live in the middle of autoland, these unusual cars do pop up from time to time. The only problem is that they usually sell quickly.
    Sounds like the Ford dealers are doing well if they have nearly new used cars on the lots. Good news for Ford!
    When I hear Mike Roe tell the lady after asking if its wrong to bring a camry to a Ford dealer, and he says not if you leave it behind, I LOL. Thats exactly what we did, and haven't looked back since getting our 2010 Fusion Sport, that now has 29K troublefree miles on it. Its a keeper, sorry Toyota, your cars just didn't cut it for us!
  • maryshmarysh Member Posts: 6
    I am trying to help my sister to buy a new family sedan and have had a really hard time to decide which one to buy. What she needs is a reliable car with good gas mileage and rides smoothly and can accommodate 2 adults and 2 little kids (with two car seats). She does not care about top performance or luxury accessories.
    We have been buying Toyota Camry for years. However, recent Camry owner experiences have not been very satisfactory. Both 2007 Camry LE I have and 2010 Camry LE she has was having this hesitation problem. The problem was more pronounced when the car was new and seems getting better with aging. So we are reluctant to buy another Camry. I read through the consumer report and Edmonds reviews. It seems to me that the top rated family sedans with good reliability are Nissan Altima and Honda Accord. However, Owner of these two cars also seem having various problem from reading the poster here. So I am not sure what the best car is for our intended purpose. Since we have never own these two cars before and don’t know how they compared to Camry in terms of driving experience and reliability. Any of your input on these two cars would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks so much for your help!
  • aqua33v6aqua33v6 Member Posts: 38
    You should also have her look at the Fusion, Sonata, Optima, and Malibu.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    edited January 2011
    I second that suggestion. As recently as five years ago it would have made sense to narrow it down to the Accord, Altima, and Camry based on the reputations of their manufacturers alone. But Ford, GM, and Hyundai/Kia have made enormous improvements in both the reliability and the assembly quality of their midsize sedans.

Some folks here would go so far as to say that none of the three you have listed belong in the "top three" today. Honda, Toyota and Nissan have stood still while the rest of the major manufacturers have not.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    sounds like you were talking about me. I would not consider the Accord at all (and I have a 2005), don't like the Altima with the CVT, and would only give the Camry SE a look.

Fusion, Sonata and potentially the Optima (have not seen it yet) are the new top IMO. Malibu is OK if cheap overrides all else.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Fusion, Sonata and potentially the Optima (have not seen it yet) are the new top IMO. Malibu is OK if cheap overrides all else.

I agree - also as a previous Accord owner - amazing how Honda has gotten big and flabby and Toyota has slipped badly, while Hyundai and Ford are coming on really strong.
    Since "rides smoothly" is one of the top criteria, I think the Camry is a good bet--perhaps the smoothest ride in the class. Also reliable with good fuel economy (with the I4). But also be sure to check out the Ford Fusion, which also has a smooth ride but better handling than the Camry, and it is also reliable and has good fuel economy.

The other sedans mentioned by others are good as well, but IMO do not have as smooth a ride as the Camry, or Fusion. The Legacy also has a smooth ride, and the advantage of all wheel drive--rare in this class.

P.S. The Mercury Milan is a twin of the Fusion, and you may be able to find a good deal on one since it has been discontinued.
    edited January 2011
    The Camry seems to be almost in it's own class in terms of how it drives. Personally, I'd suggest your sister try at a minimum the Ford Fusion and the Hyundai Sonata in addition to the Camry. Personally, I still think the Honda Accord is a very good car and should be on your list as well. It's just not as good as it once was due to a combination of the competition getting better and the Accord being a bit complacent and making odd styling choices.

For my money, the Honda interior is miles ahead of the Camry, but the ride is not as floaty or isolating and your sister might put more of a premium there.

So: Camry - Ford Fusion - Hyundai Sonata - Honda Accord

Try them and see what she prefers.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    edited January 2011
    My sister faced a similar problem a couple of years ago. She chose a Honda, which is fine, but the fact is that all of these basic sedans are pretty much interchangeable at this point. It leads to the following list:

Accord/Camry/Altima/Mazda 5/Fusion/Sonata/Malibu

All work very well but all are pretty much bland, soulless jellybeans. I'd really recommend something else that is designed for four people and is a bit sportier. Or perhaps a small mini-SUV like a RAV4.(trade a bit of comfort for bad weather performance)

I was going to recommend a CPO LaCrosse CXS because it's about $15K, reliable, and is far better than a basic 4 cylinder car(any of the above on that list), but there's an even better option, IMO. A 2009 Pontiac G8. It is quite honestly the 2nd best car that GM makes worldwide(it's still made in Australia, where it out-sells everything else including imports) after the CTS. Great handling, good styling that doesn't look like every other car out there, and very nice inside - it's designed for four adults, pretty much. It's a real shame that GM decided to stop importing it, because it gave us a taste of what the rest of the world drives. But that means the used prices are really absurdly low as most people think that it' a "Pontiac" instead of a re-badged Holden (ie - truly dead vs still made today)

Note - they are getting hard to find lately, as people are buying them up and not reselling them. I'd rather drive one of these 1-2 years old vs a new Accord. No contest.