Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• tcpip1tcpip1 Member Posts: 121
    You really need to drive the car for a few days to report these issues, not just a test drive.

I think my '89 Accord DX and '94 Legend GS have this "side visor extender." You can move the visor from blocking the top of the windshield to the position that blocks the top of the side window.

The Legend GS has the auto-lock feature. All the doors lock when the car is in gear.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I haven't seen them in a while, but you can buy an aftermarket visor extender.
  • icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    interior lights without a dash switch - the reach-up, manual switch reminds me of my Dad's '72 Maverick

My 74 Maverick didn't have a switch like the CR-V it had an ugly chrome knob that activated the headlights, turned on the dome light and dimmed the dash lights.

Personally, I like having the switch on the dome, that way my wife can turn it on to take care of our baby (or anything else she wants to do) without getting me involved. I also like the fact that you can completely turn off the dome light so when I'm vacuuming it out it doesn't have to stay on.

I don't have a problem with the armrests. Maybe you could make a bolster for it? Padding-fabric-padding attached with velcro? If you're gonna have the V for awhile it may be worth it.

No thanks on the auto locks. I find them to be an annoyance in my Grandmother's Crown Vic.

Visor extender would be nice.

Carpet is lacking. I'd really, really, really like a dead-pedal. I don't mind the mats. Actually, I think they're quite nice, the way they snap together and stay in place.

We average 24 mpg in our V.
    Another possibility...

The Element offers a larger armrest as an option. It also includes a small storage space inside. Several CR-V owners have installed these in their rigs. I believe someone found that a similar one for the Ody will also fit.
  • robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    interesting...any info on where to find one of these other owners who have installed the armrest option or pics?
    The information is on a site which the TH member agreement does not allow me to name. Send me an e-mail and I can direct you to pics, install instructions, and even a place to buy the parts.

Here's a little info for those interested in this mod:

The Element's armrest/console will fit either the 1st or 2nd generation CR-V. The color is a neutral gray, but does not match the interior of the CR-V exactly.

The Ody armrest/console is a closer match for the Saddle interior on 2002 and 2003 models. I haven't actually seen this one installed on a 1st gen CR-V. (Not that you would want to, since all gen 1 'Vs are grey inside.)

With either installation, the armrest folds up between the two front seats and out of the way. It does block the folding tray between the seats. How much depends on how far back you position the seats. It does not appear to be an obstruction for the cupholders.
  • kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    Yes, I agree that CR-V's interior looks kind of "cheesy".
    But I also believe that MOST people are comfortable with that.
    I put leather seats, black rubber mats, metal decals, leather cover on steering wheel. All this together created some decent interior look.
    I but if I had had a bit less money I could l live without all this stuff - they are basically gimmicks.
    What proved to be really practical things were the fog lights - I highly recommend them.
    I also resent recent stupid trend to put big wheels on CRVs. Why would people need BIG
    wheels and thin tires on SUV?? Not only they look ugly (like bicycle tires) they also are NOT practical.
     None of them would survive even simple dirt roads. While driving in a big city like NY you would need to change your tires often - you hit the pothole and bye, bye new tires!. Got some extra money?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    After me re-reading the Town Hall user agreenment, what part of it prohibits you from posting the other website address?

I think he means the part that says:

"You agree to not promote other auto forums that provide message boards or chats."

tidester, host
    In the past, I've been guilty of this. Nowadays I just avoid any mention of other sites as I've been bagged for just mentioning a name.

Instead I try to post as much info as possible without violating the rights of the people who publish the information. Trouble is, articles like the installation instructions and cosmetic upgrades are sometimes difficult to explain without the pictures from the original host site. If folks need those details, I provide them off the TH forums. No biggie. Everyone is happy (I think).
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    OK, I got it on the user agreement. My 2 cents on the interior:

It does scratch very easliy, and the carpets are not as thick as other cars I have owned. I have added a separate small mat (I got it from Target), to protect the plastic on the left side floor where my left foot might otherwise wear the carpet. I like the carpet mats (I have the EX).

But basically, it find the interior to be well put together and pleasing to the eye. Some people have added the wood finish to parts of the interior, but I really like the saddle interior with black trim, so I am forgoing this addition. I did add the leather steering wheel cover, which in my opinion really makes the wheel easier to handle, plus looks spiffy.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I keep my tires at ~32 PSI. This morning I was noticing that the transmission felt "funny", i.e. different. It was a bit sluggish, or something.

Well, I just checked my tire pressure in preparation for an upcoming trip. (The owners manual says to inflate to 35PSI for 100 MPH driving, so I am going up to 34PSI for my expected 75-80 MPH). Anyway, I found that the PSI was back to the factory standard of 26PSI.

I realized immediately what happened: When I took my CR-V in for the transmission recall last week, the dealer must have set the PSI back to 26. So if you take it in, check your PSI!
  • richk6richk6 Member Posts: 87
    I have installed a home brew armrest cushion on my 02 EX, by purchasing one six foot length of one inch diameter pipe insulation foam. I cut an approximately 12 inch piece for each front armrest. The foam is pre-slitted lenghtwise. I secured the pieces with a small velcro strip on the inside.

The color is dark grey which blends nicely with my black interior. (Not sure how it would look with tan interior).

The foam feels more comfortable on my elbows than the original armrest and looks decent.
  • driprockdriprock Member Posts: 4
    I very much appreciate the feedback to my original post, similar subject. Let me offer a more positive spin - I'm basically satisfied and enjoy driving the CR-V. I was pointing out what were, for me, expectation failures. I, too, like the mats (as opposed to the carpet); yes, I did come from a loaded Grand Cherokee - the primary reason I got interested in the V was for the good gas mileage ON THE STICKER - I wanted to be a bit more conservative in that sense. I actually like the dash layout a lot and find the seats, other than the armrests, are an excellent fit for me. I've been in American cars since '85, so I guess the education I'm getting from your responses is that the imports tend to view some features as auto-locks as not necessarily a benefit. The reason we liked them is for peace of mind with the kids in the car...I now must make it a conscience act to lock the doors. As to whi I bought it (someone asked), because I researched it and drove the car on one test drive and liked the power and looks, general feel and economy, and I trusted the MPG sticker. I'm hoping the MPG improves as someone said it would as the valves seat, etc. BTW, my kids like a) the theater seating in back, b) the CD, c) sunroof, and d)most of all, the integral picnic table.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Same here, we just had a M-B loaner car and I found the automatic locks annoying. You drive along and suddenly *clunk*, "what was that?"

I generally don't like it when a car tries to "think" for me. Another example is "Twilight Sentinel" lighting, which always made you feel like you left your lights on by accident.

Auto climate control, too. Is A/C that complicated? Sheesh.

Perhaps your expectations were too high at this price level? Loaded Grand Cherokees cost $10 grand more, that buys you a whole lot of gasoline!

Well, with prices lately, not a whole lot! ;-)

-juice
  • johnnyrfjohnnyrf Member Posts: 65
    Trying to fold the back seats forward and can't figure it out. I slid the feets to their most forward position, folded the seats down and started tugging on that strap on the back of the seats and the damn seats won't release forward.
    Am I missing something?
    Thanks in advance......
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    You can find the instructions in your Owner's Manual. I'd explain it, but I have a '99 CR-V so the seats are different.

Good luck!
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I get on average 20 mpg in mixed city/fwy which isn't great.My wife's Acura 3.2TL does the same.I think the CRV needs more power.On hills I find myself turning off overdrive to keep up with the 80 mph flow.But a big V6 like in the KIA sorrento would return 15 mpg on a good day.My tires are at 24 psi for smoothness and that may be costing me. Soon will be looking at new tires and want quiet long lasting ones,got any suggestions? Michelin MXV4 are tempting but expensive.
  • hawaiiguyhawaiiguy Member Posts: 11
    Try the Yokohama Avid Touring tires...great reviews by those owners (see tirerack.com)...
    Am I correct in that you have the psi on your vehicle at 24 psi?

that would be lower than even the Honda recommended psi of 26...which I do not adhere to, but put it at 32 psi...
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    I believe that you most slide the seat all the way back and then fold,reason, the seat will not fit or fold when it is all the way forward.
    greetings from VA.
    fig.
    My tires are at 24 psi for smoothness and that may be costing me.

As hawaiiguy noted, 24 psi is below the Honda recommended 26 psi. I run my '99 CR-V at 30 psi and get 25 mpg in mixed city/hwy and 29 mpg on strictly highway trips. I tried 32 psi, but noticed that the ride was much harsher, so went back to 30 psi. It seems to be a nice balance, for me, between soft ride, handling, and fuel mileage. I'm a conservative driver, don't accelerate hard, and usually drive at the posted speed limit.

YMWV (Your Mileage Will Vary) based on your driving style.

:)
  • robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    I just put some yokohama T4's on, and I think they're better in all respects than the oem for ~$50ea +install. I run them around 33-35. the extra steering precision and better handling is great, and the ride quality is still pretty good with these tires. The fuel economy improves too.

I'm a conservative driver too :) I don't drag race from stoplights and drive with traffic. I do enjoy the twisties on the back roads, though, and prefer the enhanced steering precision with the extra psi.
    At the risk of lecturing...

I think doing 80 mph on the highway is the problem, not tire pressure. The CR-V is fairly aerodynamic for a vehicle its size, but the laws of physics still apply. I recall reading that above 50 mph half of the fuel consumed is used to push through wind resistance. If you do 80 mph regularly, that'll kill your overall average. You might getting 20/20 for city/highway numbers.

Personally, I get about 22/27 in my '99. My overall average is 25.5 mpg because I do slightly more highway than city driving.
  • gerry100gerry100 Member Posts: 100
    As I recall , drag is proportional to the square of the speed.

i.e. your vehicle experiences 4 times the drag at 80 as at 40.

If you increase your speed to 80 from 65 you increase your drag by 50%.
    The CR-V's Drag Co is .34 per square inch. That's actually pretty good. However, the CR-V does have quite a few square inches up front. If someone wants to figure out how many inches we're dealing with, we can generate some truly obscure numbers. =)
  • aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    OK let me see.... a Kia Sorento would get about 15 mpg and a JGC about 15 MPG also. The CR-V is getting between 20 to 25 MPG depending on the driver.

That is 33% to 66% better gas mileage than the two competitors named.

What's not to like?

Yoko Avid T4 on my CR-V and they are great. I went with a Plus One size and have not noticed any real differences in performance.
    Both of those have low-ranges and can tow a bunch, it's really a different target audience. If you didn't need or use those capabilities, though, a CR-V is surely a lot more efficient.

-juice
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    What kind of 16" wheels did you put on? Also, what size? 215-60/16?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dcwong1dcwong1 Member Posts: 54
    I need some advice from CR-V owners. I'm thinking of purchasing a CR-V EX 4WD and am wondering if there are any issues in reliability. I know Hondas are known for reliability and I owned an Acura, which was virtually trouble-free for 6 years but I have never owned a 4WD SUV before.

Issues: Does the CR-V have a timing chain now instead of a timing belt? What is the typical city mileage? Are there any problems in acceleration with a 4-speed auto and 4WD? Any known nagging issues?

I'm primarily wanting an SUV with more cargo space and my BMW 3er is absolutely horrible in space but an absolute joy to drive.

Any help would be appreciated!
    I can only answer some of them...have the '03 EX...
    1. the GEN2 cr-v come with timing chains (per the service advisor new customers' orientation).

2. engine feels peppy to us ---feels more powerful when the vtec kicks in about 4.5K rpms...
    I had the previous model (98) and now own an '02 CRV. 59K miles on the first one and not one repair. Typical bulletproof Honda reliability. I got a 5-speed the first time around because of the lack of power, but have an automatic in the new one. The new engine has plenty of torque. Even with the automatic, it would leave my old one in the dust, and is faster than my wife's 4-cyl Accord. It won't be as fast as your BMW naturally, but power will certainly not be a problem. The new 2.4L engine does have a timing chain.
    The only thing to watch for is a comfortable seating position. The armrest is virtually useless if you are tall, as it barely extends to your elbow. It doesn't bother me, as I had a 5-speed in the old one, which had no armrest, and I'm used to it. Other than that, I would give the car a glowing recommendation without reservation.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• surfbabe1977surfbabe1977 Member Posts: 30
    Hubby and I have his/hers 2002/2003 CRVS. Both EX, Autos. The only complaint I have is that there are not enough options/selections on the windshield wipers! They are too fast, too slow, and don't have any real intermittent options. Performance/reliability, etc....awesome! I'd say I'd buy another one, but we already did! I had always driven coupe sports cars before and could not believe the space and visibility of the CRVs!
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I have an 02 CRV and an 01 Acura 3.2TL.At the end of October I'll be going on a 2400 mile round trip to Denver.Which car would be best?Is there likely to be snow? I live in San Diego where it is rarely slick driving.The politicians are slick enough.I enjoy the visibility of the CRV but the power of the TL.
    I also have an '01 TL and that's the one I'd pick for a long drive. It's more comfortable, has a better radio, gets better highway mileage, etc.

If you were hauling lots of stuff, It would be a different story. But if the TL's trunk is enough space, drive the Acura.
    What's the weather like? Is that early for snow?

I would pick the CR-V is you think it'll snow, otherwise take the TL.

-juice
  • aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    Sorry....I must have used the wromg term.

I did not use a 16" wheel. I went up one size in tire width and down one size in tire aspect ratio. this kept my rolling diameter within 2% of the factory and did not affect my speedometer at all.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 22
    I'll be picking up my new 2003 CRV in two weeks. Live in northern Mass, where we can get quite a bit of snow. I assumed the AWD would eliminate the need for snows, but this board seems to have many snow tire posters. What's the general opinion about snows for the new england region with a CRV?
    If you are only worried about traction to keep moving, snow tires are probably not necessary. However, if you desire the improved handling and braking in snow, then you will need them. We don't get the snow they do in New England, so I've never felt the trade-off for worse dry road handling is worth it, as I'm a pretty aggressive driver. We only get snow covered roads about 5-7 days per year, and driving with snow tires for 3 months is just not worth it to me.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Ekster - I'm also in MA and do quite a bit travelling up to New Hampshire and Vermont. I've been doing fine with all-season tires for the past 4 years. Here are the pros and cons as I seem them:

Pros:
    Snow tires will improve performance in the snow and even on the semi-icey roads we sometimes get as snow melts and freezes again. If you can afford them, then go for it.

Cons:
    Snow tires are not cheap. They make use of soft rubber compounds and running them on dry pavement will wear them out quickly. When we get snow, it stays on the roads for no more than two or three days. The total might only be 12 days out of the entire season. The rest of the time, you'd be running them on dry pavement and wearing them down (killing their effectiveness).

Last year was a landmark year for us, and there were times when I considered getting a set of Blizzaks and extra rims. But the three years prior were much milder. If you can afford to replace them, then go for it. But the cost to benefit ratio is fairly low, IMHO.
  • sreisssreiss Member Posts: 65
    Depends a lot on the specific areas you drive, also. I'm in CT, and like a lot of the people here, there aren't THAT many days that the snow and conditions would be a big problem. But, I have a long, hilly driveway out to the road (about .25 mile) and then a quite hilly, curvy road to get out to more major roads. I'm fine on 99% of the drive, but it's that last mile ...

So, I went with snows a couple years ago on the Odyssey, and got the spare rims so I can do it myself... one too many afternoons standing around at Sears waiting for 4 hours to get the snows changed over. The extra cost is WELL worth my time and being able to do the changeover whenever I want to. Only takes about an hour. And I can highly recommend tirerack.com.

I'll be getting a CRV-EX shortly, and will be getting the full set of snows with rims shortly thereafter.
  • surfbabe1977surfbabe1977 Member Posts: 30
    I'm also in CT. We had about 50" of snow last year, with over 8" on our driveways and local roads. We never had a problem using the oem wheels/tires. Just make sure you drive according to road conditions (slow, etc.) and you should be fine. We live on a hilly street, etc. and passed many cars on the side of the road. We've not had a problem, but if you have the extra dough and time to mess with it, I'd say it's up to you, but probably not absolutely neccessary.
  • icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    I just took a 3800+ mile trip to CO in our V. Ride was nice, seat was fine. (As comfy as any seat will be after 28 hours.) and there was lots of room for people and stuff.

I understand that most of the time snow doesn't last long in Denver. However, you will have to drive through some very mountainous terrain to get there. I'd take the V. They've already had snow in the mountains.
  • crvnhcrvnh Member Posts: 1
    Hi there...

I live in the lakes/mtn region of NH, and boy do we have snow! I have an 02, ex 5psd that i purchased in dec of 01, so this will be my third winter with it-first winter was OK-no snow tires-last dec i went and purchased snow tires $225 for four/mounted/balanced-what a HUGE difference! the crv turned into a little tank in the snow! I would highly recommend getting snow tires, if you live in a place like i do! now, as far as reliabilty goes........blech.....19,000 miles left brake caliper GONE..two dealerships said it was NOT under warranty-$550 dollars later-(needed four new brake pads as well).....i was not a happy camper! then two weeks ago, went to the dealer as my ABS light would come on, go off, come on, etc......thought it was part of the whole recall thing, they decided it wasn't.......ordered a left front wheel/brake sensor.didn't fix the problem-they then replaced the whole abs module, still didn't fix the problem-so the replaced throttle cable just for good measure, so i wouldn't have to come back....SEVEN hours later, they replaced something else, and low and behold it was fixed....i am still upset about paying $550 for a car still under warranty with only 19,000 miles on it......but, i would probably get another one! :o)
    Did you try contacting Honda directly, rather than a dealer? The phone number for district office in your area should be in your Owner's Manual. Unless the the caliper was damaged by something you did or something you hit it should have been covered. The brake pads wouldn't be covered.

JM2C
  • wgn4snowwgn4snow Member Posts: 17
    We have an 03 CRV. Love it so far.

I have Michelin Alpins on my Acura, and am thinking of the same for the CRV. Anyone with experience with Alpins on a CRV?

And my 2 cents (cannot resist): I hate automatic door locks. Classic scenario with a rental car: I am dropping my wife off downtown; at the light before she hops out I unlock the doors; light changes, and I slowly move forward with traffic -- doors lock; I slow with traffic, unlock again (not being sure how close I will get to her office door before the bumper-to-bumper traffic stops me again), then have to pull around the courier truck parked with his 4-ways on -- doors lock again; etc, etc.
  • banddexpressbanddexpress Member Posts: 63
    I was just curious isn't body cladding to help with door dings I see where its an additional 429 option at the site. I was wondering if you don't get the body cladding aren't you more likely to get a bunch of dings and even the ex doesn't come with it? I was just curious. Thanks
    Brent
    There is already a wide strip that comes standard. The optional cladding is added below that, in a place that IMO is lower than where you would get nicks anyway. Its mostly for looks, and on the lighter colors really looks good. Its almost unnoticeable on the black ones, however.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The Gen 1 CR-V actually has a wider strip than the new model. It's something that I've always though looked odd about the new design, slab sides and a skinny rub strip.

I agree with kyfdx. The accessory cladding is for road debris, not door dings.
  • fenris99fenris99 Member Posts: 16
    Probably been discussed before, and elsewhere, bu here I go anyway: How bad are the stock tires on the CR-V. I've heard everything from 'OK' to 'Terrible'.
    Comments?
    If you have the Bridgestone Duelers, the performance is just barely okay.. and the wear is terrible.. I have 21K on mine and I think 30K is going to be about it. The BFGoodrich Touring TA's on my old CRV had marginally better performance that didn't start deteriorating until after 40k.. Must have been acceptable, as I replaced them with same tire at 50K. (plus only had to buy three tires that way.)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator