Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited September 2012
    In top line trim, a Fusion Titantium 2.0 turbo gets from 0-60 in 6.8 seconds. Surprising, but a 4 cylinder Accord Sport manual is equal to that acceleration (but is otherwise much less lavishly optioned) for about $12,000 less.

The Fusion Titanium that Motor Trend tested priced out at $37,670.

The new top-of-the-line Touring 6 cylinder Accord lists for $34,220.

A 2013 Accord 3.5 V-6 coupe 6 mt goes 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, which is seriously fast.

Inside Line says that the 6 cylinder auto sedan gets to 60 in 6.1 seconds.

http://www.insideline.com/honda/accord/2013/2013-honda-accord-ex-l-v6-vs-2013-ni- - ssan-altima-3-5-sl-track-test.html
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Those are realistic numbers, and indicative of the entire mid-size sedan 4 cyl performance range.

The Fusion has indeed matched or bettered every car in it's segment with a significantly smaller, turbocharged engine; therefore improving fuel economy while doing it.

I am just defending the naturally aspirated 2.4 liter, 200hp and 186lb-ft engine in my car. I believe that this is the correct engine for it's application. (24/35 mpg).

The turbocharged, SX version of my car was too expensive for my needs. (274HP, 22/34 mpg).

I would not buy the 2.5 or the 1.6 liter Fusion. If I was going to pay for a turbo on my insurance then I want ALL of the benefits. Namely strong, powerful performance and reasonable fuel economy figures. The 2.0 liter choice felt right when I drove it and on paper.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    27 city and 30 combined is pretty impressive. CVTs are fuel efficient for sure.

But the Fusion Hybrid gets 47/47/47. I don't think Accord can touch that even with a CVT.
    Yeah, if you want a hybrid the Ford Fusion seems to be on top at this point. I'm a Honda fan, but if the competition can beat you then I say so be it. At this point it looks like Ford has the best hybrid 4 door sedan on the market. Hats off to them! And even the regular gas models are fairly close in terms of price. I still think the Honda Accord is the best-in-class, but the Fusion is giving them a run for their money...
  • akumaakuma Member Posts: 70
    well, the C-Max also supposedly gets 47 combined mpg as well, but Inside Line could only get 33 mpg over 393 miles. i'm not sure if they spent many of those miles flogging a boxy hybrid, but those numbers seem underwhelming like the Sonata hybrid (nowhere near 40 in real life, although the guys at cleanmpg seem to get close to 60 mpg somehow).

also TTAC (thetruthaboutcars) was able to get mid 40s mpg from the plug-in Accord hybrid which is estimated to get 100mpge (like the Fusion Energi) when driven in purely electric mode, so i think that the regular Accord hybrid might get similar if not better real world fuel economy than the Fusion hybrid.
    If they only got mid-30s in a car rated at 47/47 then something is seriously wrong.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Why the surprise? These car mags often get mid-20s in cars rated upper 30s to 40 mpg. They flog their test cars. Unless they are specifically driving for high FE, their FE usually sucks. So getting mid-30s on a car rated 47 isn't abnormal.
    I wasn't questioning the report - I already read it. I'm saying there had to be something wrong with the Cmax they tested which was obviously a pre-production model.
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    I hope some Altima owners can comment about the CVT. Seems like Nissan recommend CVT service for every 30K miles (see sources quote 100K miles too), and each would cost around $300 (oil plus labor). Is that true?

I would think Honda's CVT would probably be the same story. If so, the extra savings from MPG advantage of a CVT wouldn't sound so appealing anymore? this is disregarding whether one prefer CVT or not, or whether CVT is as durable as conventional auto -> pure cost consideration.
  • I was not attempting to slam Ford's Eco-boost engine QUALITY in any size. Just that a 3500 pound car with 178 HP is going to be under the whip and therefore having to work harder. Harder working engines experience more wear in general. (That's why we have odometer tampering laws).

See comparison below....

Have you guys ever seen Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear) drive a BMW M3 vs. a Toyota Prius in order to compare fuel economy?

All Jeremy had to do was keep up with the Toyota, with the Toyota going as fast as it could around the track.

The M3 got better MPG in an engine twice as large, and on a heavier and larger vehicle.

Just a counter-point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2012
    You know the CVT didn't get off to a great start. It was supposed to be revolutionary when they first came out. Unfortunately most folks didn't buy one, and they were relegated to almost exclusive duty in economy cars. The Subaru Justy comes to mind (shivered :sick: ). The only CVT I have ever driven was in a Dodge Caliber I had to rent. That 2.0 and the CVT was a double-kill for the Caliber. It was just bloody awful.

Nissan aims to change all that. They reduced friction/wear by 30% as compared to the outgoing model. CVT's also have far fewer moving parts. I really want to drive this new Altima. There is a 2013 on my street and I really liked the styling from afar and close up. It's gotta nice **S. :shades:
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited September 2012
    I recently rented a 2012 Altima for trip Chicago/Dallas r/t. I really like the CVT for low revs at speed, good mpg and good pickup from 50-80mph. However, was in a right lane at light and didn't realize the lane ended right after going through the light and had to get into the left lane quickly. Decided to floor it and holy crap was there a racket(basically I think it redlined) and it really didn't have the accompanying surge forward but just kind of sat there. I quickly slowed quickly and let the other cars go ahead and meekly pulled in behind. I thought that my little Mazda6 auto with much less power would have been more than adequate for what I tried to do. The CVT...not. I decided that I didn't want a CVT right there. I'll keep trying them from time to time to see the improvements they make but for now I just don't like certain ways they respond.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Maybe we will have more courteous drivers if everyone had cvt. I'm so sick of a-holes punching it across my front bumper making me backoff because they weren't paying attention. Pulling behind the vehicle wasn't a meek maneuver it was the way your supposed to drive,
    Well, it would have been different if the roads in Texas had some signs like we have in Illinois. You know, something like "lane ends" or "merge left ahead" or something. I didn't realize the lane ended until I was setting at the light and it would have been no skin off anybody if I just wasted a little gas and jumped in. I didn't try to push my way in either. But they could have noticed my out of states plates and realized I didn't know the lane was ending. They were probably all a-holes that refuse to let anybody in like some posters in this forum. I waited until all 5 or 6 cars went by me. If I know a lane ends at the intersection I'm the first one to wait in line in the lane that is not ending but I do let people merge within reason. I pay a lot of taxes but I don't own the road.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    I'm concerned with the long term durability of the cvt. I know the sample size is small, but I know 2 people who owned 2 cvt equipped jeeps (1 patriot & 1 compass). The guy with the patriot had the cvt replaced under warranty @ 60,000 miles. The new cvt failed & had to be replaced (on his dime) @ 120K miles. The guy I know with the compass had his cvt fail @ 65K miles.

I have more faith in the engineers of the Japanese makes. How long are the cvt altimas lasting?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited September 2012
    nycarguy: I think some earlier Altimas with the cvt did have trouble. Specifically the belt, which as you might imagine has big stresses placed on it, could wear out. As you know, it's not a regular belt, but a very high tech "super belt." I think the Nissan CVTs are now more reliable.

Honda has developed a new and supposedly better belt for its new earth dreams CVT. Here's a short link to a Honda site with a press release about it:

http://world.honda.com/news/2012/4120405New-CVT-Midsize-Vehicles/index.html

"....Key features of new CVT for midsize vehicles

The newly developed high-efficiency electric oil pump, high-strength belt and exclusive CVT oil raise transmission efficiency to enhance fuel economy.
    The wide ratio range offers cruising with enhanced torque in the lower rpm range, thereby enhancing fuel economy. At the same time, the wide ratio range increases drive power during off-the-line acceleration to help realize an exhilarating and sporty driving feel."

Honda's "G-shift" design and software apparently much reduces the acceleration lag that you can get with Nissan's cvt. In other words, if you floor it in a 2013 Honda Accord cvt it's supposed to respond pretty quickly.

Honda has probably spent a billion or two dollars developing this transmission. The belt on the new Honda unit is supposed to be something of a breakthrough for strength and durability. Right now I think they are making the belts in Japan, but they are about to start producing them in Ohio.

I think the Honda CVTs will be quite durable, but I would probably buy an extended warranty just in case....
    Kinda cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze06Hxem2PU

I think Honda's CVT is probably fairly similar.
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1079054_2013-honda-accord-attention-to-g-fo- rces-yields-a-better-cvt

While that itself impressed us, what's the most noteworthy in the Accord's CVT is how quickly it can respond and bring revs up when needed. For instance, a number of CVTs (including the one in the 2013 Nissan Altima, surprisingly) will feel completely flat-footed and off their game if you roll around a corner at 15 mph with your foot off the gas and then accelerate at full throttle. The time to tap into full thrust is delayed for a surprising time. But in the Accord, it very quickly raises revs all the way up to the Accord's 6,600-rpm redline. Pull off the same test, dipping into half throttle out of the corner, and it very quickly finds the right ratio for the throttle opening—feeling a lot like downshifting and with no slow, muddled ramp-up.

How did Honda achieve this far better (we think) CVT calibration when rivals like Nissan have been working at it for so long? According to the project leader, Honda's CVT isn't much different in the mechanical design, but Honda put a lot of time into oil pressure control and electrical systems, along with the control software.
    Appreciate the info and enthusiasm for Honda you provide but could you bold or italicize and add quotes when you are directly cutting and pasting. Really would like to differentiate between your actual comments versus copying of reference material. Tks.
    Sure. Usually do add quotes but forgot that time...
  • gr8mazda3gr8mazda3 Member Posts: 4
    Since the title of this Forum is "Midsize Sedans 2.0", I thought this article might be interesting to some of you. One car class smaller, but plenty of 2.0 liter engines compared. Spoiler: Mazda 3 owners will be happy.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1208_2012_2013_compact_sedan_compari- son/fuel_economy.html

Copy and paste the address if the link is not live.
  • My wife had a black 2004 Mazda 6 Sport-wagon V6. I drove a 2003 Mazda Protege LX, simply because I had a 40 mile each way commute and needed the fuel economy over space. The wife had both the girls and worked full time so she got the sweet ride.

Both cars drove awesome, but there were quality problems. The 6 kept having A/C problems and was plagued with wheel bearing issues, bent rims, and occasionally refused to start for no apparent reason. We found out later that the battery was bad. Our roads here in Northern VA are really good so I can't attribute the wheel issues to potholes, frost heaves, and all the other rust belt/great lakes area road problems. (no offense..I am from Buffalo).

The Protege' did NOT have ABS, but DID have summer tires. OMG. I almost died in that car. It hydroplaned at 60 mph on interstate 95 at the "mixing bowl"....slamming into two walls. Can you say med-evac? My first helicopter ride.

I think Mazda makes great cars, we probably had bad luck. I think I will pass on Mazda as long as I live though.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    ' My first helicopter ride. '
    Really glad it was not your last...
    - Ray
    Medevac = really bad, typically.......
    2022 X3 M40i
    Scary story! So glad you made it through ok.

Cars are significantly safer than they were even 10 years ago, and that's a good thing...
    edited September 2012
    I had my right arm broken in two places, a broken rib from the seat-belt, lacerations of the face (looked worse than it was)...and I got to have black and blue marks in the shape of a seat-belt across my chest and gut.
    Saved my life. The car still ran afterward. They drove it onto the back of the flatbed I was told.

I so didn't even ask if the car (Protege')had ABS when I bought it. The EX had it, but the LX and the lowly DX did not. I mean come on....it was 2003!

So much for making automotive assumptions that all cars have our safety as priority one.
    Wow, sounds pretty intense.

My 2002 Honda Accord LX didn't have abs either....

Basically, we can thank gov't and the iihs for effectively encouraging car makers to make safer vehicles.
    2.0 means this is the second version of the forum - after the first one had to be shut down a few years ago. Has nothing to do with engine displacement. :)
  • I actually had an opportunity to get real world MPG on my 2012 EX during my commute. I got 26.5 MPG round trip. (36.2 miles).

My commute is from West Springfield, VA to 23rd St NW Washington DC. It is 18 miles each way. 4 miles of it is suburban stop and go, then higher speed driving on 395 for 14 miles.

I never use the econ button. It slows up throttle response, and I need to be on my toes during this commute. It is dense, fast, and just plain dangerous at 6 am. (I went in and right back home this morning, just had to get my cell). I work from home on Fridays

I have 10,200 miles on the car, purchased last December 28th. My fuel economy has steadily improved from horrible; to as-advertised. Folks with brand new Optima's should be just a little patient.

There have been no problems or issues with my EX 2.4 (other than rear visibility). Great car.
    edited October 2012
    The midsize sales race for Sept and the year so far, according to the WSJ. Honda won't be able to make as many of the all new 2013s for a few months as they ramp up production, and so any chance of getting closer to the Camry won't come until 2013, if ever. As you can see, Ford has dropped off the list for now as they transition to the all new 2013 Fusion, but they are likely to be back next month. And the Passat should start making an appearance as VW's factory in TN gets up to full production of 170,000 a year by the end of 2012. Earlier this year I think the Altima was ahead of the Accord for a while, but now the Accord is in its customary #2 spot again. Camry has a huge lead, however, and simply cannot be caught this year. Next year? Probably not, but who knows....The Optima is in 5th place, perhaps for the first time? Sales have been strong....

Toyota Camry 34,252....314,788
    Honda Accord 29,182....247,847
    Nissan Altima 24,448....234,040
    Hyundai Sonata 17,332....175,346
    Kia Optima 14,304....114,728

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-autosales.html
  • My poor Kia. Always last in something. :cry:

Hopefully they will be 115,000 GREAT cars.
    It's not last at all. The Optima was ahead of the Fusion, the VW Passat, the Mazda 6, the Malibu, Chrysler 200, etc. Your baby is a big success who has entered the big leagues!!
    SPOILER ALERT! DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU WANT TO READ THE C/D REVIEW FOR YOURSELF.

The November C/D has a comparo of their current mid-sized champ, the Passat, vs. 3 new mid-sizers. Here's the order of finish:

4. Passat SE
    3. Altima 2.5 SV
    2. Fusion SE EcoBoost
    1. Accord EX

Not a long reign on top for the Passat!

As C/D said: "... the big H is back."

I love the tag line for the Fusion: "Mr. Bond, your rental car is ready." :) One great thing about this new crop of mid-sizers is, whenever I can get upgraded to this class of car, it will be hard to go wrong (OK, maybe if it's a 200 or Avenger).
    It's really interesting that C&D put the Passat 4th while MT put it in 1st place ahead of the Accord and Fusion.
    Which trims did MT review? Maybe they looked at the high-end cars where the Passat with its V6 would do better than the SE with the 2.5 I5.

Also maybe MT put more importance on things like rear seat room--C/D ragged on the Fusion about that.

Also one of C/D's knocks on the Passat was, "bland as dry toast". Uh... these are mid-sized family sedans, folks--not race cars. The Accord is pretty bland, too. And the Camry. But still fine cars for their intended audience.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Yeah, I'd say it's pretty much splitting hairs with that group of cars. I bet all of us on the forum could test the exact cars and most of us would have a different ranking.
    Both tests were Passat SE 2.5L I believe. It just shows how subjective these comparison tests are.

It does seem clear that the Malibu and Camry need improvement to stay competitive, although that doesn't seem to be hurting Camry sales. Yet.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Here's the MT test.

MT mid-size test
    The Camry was just redesigned for 2012 and the Malibu for 2013! If they are in need of improvement to stay competitive... wow.

As you noted, Toyota doesn't have any problem selling Camrys. And Hertz et. al. need lots of mid-sized cars, so Chevy can sell a ton of Malibus there if needed for volume.

Hard to imagine that one of the oldest mid-sized family cars, once the new Mazda6 hits the streets, is the Sonata... a couple of years ago it was the latest and greatest. Fast times at Mid-Sized High.
    Toyota seems intent with putting minimal investment into the Camry and since they seem to be selling so well as is it's hard to argue too much with that approach.

Of course they run the risk of losing sales down the road if they get too far behind but Camry buyers do seem to be loyal.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    TORQUE.

All these cars have somewhere from 170 to 190lb-ft at varying rpms. The Fusion 1.6L EcoBoost has it WAY DOWN at 2500rpm and all the others need 3900rpm or more to hit peak. Case closed. I don't care if the interior was straight from a 1987 Tempo. I don't care if it gets good mileage or not. It has TORQUE. Being able to select the 6-speed manual is another plus but for my wife she will stick to the automatic. Another bonus, longest wheelbase, which is key to a good smooth ride. There's a reason I drive a Suburban and not a Tahoe, and it's wheelbase. There's a reason I cherish my Gran Torino over say, a Granada, and it's wheelbase.

I am really really glad we didn't order a new 2012 a year ago. The 2013 model is twice the car the 2010-2012 Fusion was and in my opinion surpasses any Camry/Accord/Altima. Stepdaughter has a 2010 Malibu and she loves it but my wife wasn't impressed and the 2013 seems to be smaller and less efficient so we'll pass. I'm not even discussing the 200/Avenger. The Passat would be my pick but only as a TDI and honestly I can get a Fusion Hybrid that can do better for the same money. Sonata/Optima are styled too wild. That leaves the Mazda and while I haven't driven one, I can't say anything about it excites me or shows me something all the others haven't been doing for years.
    If it's low-end torque you want, the obvious choice is the Passat SE TDI... 236 lb-ft @ 1500 rpm. And you can get it with a stick. And for $1000 less list than the lowest priced Fusion Hybrid... which of course doesn't have a stick.
  • Congrats to the new Accord. :)

That's funny... speaking of Bond, I am watching 'From Russia With Love" right now.

Also, when I saw "spoiler alert" I thought there was a recall on spoilers....like the aftermarket unit on my Optima. Duhhh. (It is a copy of the stock spoiler). See, it takes a hard-core car guy to think of that first!

While I am talking about spoiler's, you can get aftermarket clones from "The Wing King", outside Detroit. I paid $109 for mine, already painted to match.
  • rmirannermiranne Member Posts: 2
    I just read this article and read the Motor Trend comparison where they picked the Passat. Although I am interested in the new Fusion, having to use premiun fuel is a non-seller. From want I've read, I'm looking forward to the new Mazda 6 and it's Skyactiv system. I hope it is at the Detroit show in January.
    :shades:
    You don't have to use premium in the Fusion - 87 works just fine.

If you want torque and don't care about fuel economy or a stick then the 2.0LEB has 270 lb/ft of torque - same or more than most 3.5L V6s.
    edited October 2012
    Well, Mazda continues to use Zoom-Zoom as their identity, and some of their cars do just that.

Mazda has been advertising the CX-5 like crazy, so being a car guy, (and the son-in-law of a Mazda employee), I checked it out.

155 HP? 9.5 seconds to 60??? 150 lb-ft? 3600 lb's? Another 45 Hp and 45 lb-ft please.

That just doesn't cut it. How is that Zoom-Zoom? It's a shame to have such a great handling, quality vehicle and then handicap it with a power deficit. Kind of like forcing a marathon runner breath through his nose. :confuse:
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    edited October 2012
    "All these cars have somewhere from 170 to 190lb-ft at varying rpms. The Fusion 1.6L EcoBoost has it WAY DOWN at 2500rpm and all the others need 3900rpm or more to hit peak. Case closed."

Actually, without being able to see the actual dyno graph showing torque and at what rpms, it is a bit premature to declare case closed. The reason I say this is how the specs are advertised. The opportune (but potentially allusive) word used is 'peak' torque. What these advertised specs don't tell you is that, while a 190 lb-ft peak may reveal itself at..say..3900 rpm, there may a relatively flat and very useable scale of 185lb-ft through the rev range of 2000 rpm and up to 3850 rpm. I am using these figures to make an example. It is a bit exaggerated to make my point. But with todays such advanced electronics/mechanical electronics in engine/tran management, very real world numbers and the scale of flat available torque still is not that far off the example above.

Long, flat and high torque curves in a lower than average rev range are most easily acquired by either using a turbo or blower (supercharger). Of course the (finally...it's about time) recognition that turboing is not only the most economical and clean way to extract the most HP, torque, urge and fuel economy out of an engine, being finally upon us in day-to-day-use cars (and trucks soon too I suspect), is a welcome advancement in modern vehicles hitting the market in greater numbers.

"I don't care if the interior was straight from a 1987 Tempo. "
    Seriously? Now that is a bit too forgiving, IMO. :shades:

"That leaves the Mazda and while I haven't driven one, I can't say anything about it excites me or shows me something all the others haven't been doing for years."

I have never understood how someone can make such a statement without an actual test drive. If you don't like the styling, then say so, as that is valid without a drive.
    Just read a drive test of the new Mazda6 and they said it goes on sale in Europe later this year and will be selling in U.S. in January. Don't know if that is the official word from Mazda or just the reviewer's estimate. Pictures look great and the article went gaga over the handling. Link below.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/05/2014-mazda6-first-drive-review/
    edited October 2012
    I agree. The drivetrain of any vehicle needs to keep the power flowing at usable speeds and RPM, depending on the car's mission. (coupe, truck, sedan, yada yada).

Also, I think the 1.6 Eco-Boost should be in the Mazda 3. That would be awesome.

There is actually a red Ford Tempo parked out on the main road where I go jogging.

Do you guys remember the ad's for "High Swirl Combustion Chamber" on the Tempo/Topaz? They were decent cars back then.

I chose the 1987 Chevy Z24, red with the 5 speed. (just kept a 100 Amp alternator in the trunk) Loved the Digi-dash.

Still my favorite car ever. My first automotive love, and the first car I ever got financing on my own. Oh to be 19 again. :blush:

Oops.....rambling there a bit.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    My dad bought an '85 tempo new. It wasn't a bad car for the times I guess. It made it to about 90k miles then it started to fall apart. It was basically dead by '92 and 110k.

Yeah, I remember the ads for the HSC 2.3. Nothing like a buzy push rod 4 banger.