Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    What happended to the red one you were gaga over about a year or so ago?
  • seolbroseolbro Member Posts: 19
    The front end looks like a hillbilly on nitrous oxide.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    absolutely luscious. :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• jvbeattiejvbeattie Member Posts: 5
    I heard no mention of the new "Fusion". I drove the 2013 accord and Fusion and the Fusion is much more quiet and better sounding engine (1.6L ecoboost). Accord has better ergonomics though.
  • I actually like the front end. It has a nice quality mesh upper and lower grill that looks rich and better than cheap plastic fake one's on most cars. (including mine).

I like that it has fog lights, the wheel's are nice. This model looks decked-out with a sunroof as well.

How much was sticker?
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    You can't go wrong with either one of these 4 now. Each has its pros and cons to the others but these 4 keep appearing at the top of the pack in comparison tests.
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    edited October 2012
    Does anyone know if the 2014 Mazda 6 manual will be available w/any "premium" options (specifically a sunroof, SiriusXM and paint in a shade other than black, white or gray)? I was interested in replacing my 2010 Focus SES w/a CX-5 manual until I found out that checking the box for a stick shift meant going home with the AM radio special in grandmotherly gray. Apparently Mazda thinks all motorists who enjoy rowing their own gears are colorblind. Ugh...

The Fusion looks great and I can build it almost exactly the way I'd like, but I have no desire to relive the Blue Oval ownership experience any time soon (after multiple visits to Ford service departments this summer to address sundry unresolved defects with my current ride). After the flawed launches with the 2012 Focus and 2013 Escape, Ford should consider buying back a stake in Mazda so that it can tap its engineering resources again. Ford has proven it can do styling well; it just needs a Volvo or Mazda platform upon which to build a quality vehicle.

As someone else mentioned, the fact that Car and Driver's test Fusion exhibited electrical gremlins should give any buyer reason to pause. Best of luck to anyone driving one of those off the lot w/a hybrid powertrain. :surprise:

I'd probably trade my clunky 2 year old Ford today for a new Accord if only Honda would make satellite radio available w/a stick shift. And seriously, 2 color options... what is this, the former Soviet Union?

Please, Mazda. Give us options!
    edited October 2012
    would be around $22,000, depending on options you want. Suzuki pretty much decks them out standard equipment pretty stocked up. For instance, you may be able to order a more expensive stereo or a sunroof or something like that, which you would have to pony up an extra $1,495 for.

2013 Suzuki Kizashi

I love these in silver, it's my favorite color for the Suzuki Kizashi. This is the exact car I would want, with the foglights and wheels like this. The automatic CVT transmission would make this car cost around $23,995. The 6-speed manual would only be around $22,000.

For what you get for that money the car is a great deal.

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I saw an ad today for an AWD Kizashi, over $4k off, priced just under $19k.

Nice discount :) ... which means they aren't selling very well :( .
    There was an ad from a Chicago dealer yesterday for almost $7k off sticker. $21+k for $14,999 or something like that. Could have been a demo as I didn't look too closely but it caught my eye.
  • I like the quality materials in it's "face". Good looking little mid-size. I have never seen one on the road...or noticed one, and I NOTICE cars. I like the availability of AWD as well.

I am glad I only can afford one car, or I would end up a hoarder or something. :confuse:
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Does anyone know if the 2014 Mazda 6 manual will be available w/any "premium" options (specifically a sunroof, SiriusXM and paint in a shade other than black, white or gray)?

I believe the 2012 LA Auto Show will provide details about the NA Mazda6.
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    noises was/has been the biggest show stopper on Accord for my wife. Really thought Honda has finally put its acts together in this generation... very disappointing!! although we will also test drive in person to confirm, but if it is much noisier than 2009 Sonata...

You mentioned to have also driven 2013 Altima, the new Altima was claimed to be Camry-level quiet, how does that Altima compared with your Sonata in terms of noises? granted the Sonata is a V6.
  • markitdownmarkitdown Member Posts: 8
    I have zero noise issues with my 2013 Accord EXL. I have seen and heard complaints of the Sport model with larger tires having louder road noise, and but I have very little noise. I also have not had wind noise issues either although some had a door sash replaced to solve their wind issues. The suspension is definitely tuned for handling which I like. I would highly recommend driving the EXL which may have more sound dampening to compare to the lx or sport. The Accord EXL hit a sweet spot for me with all of the features included along with the performance and efficiency of the i4 cvt for my driving habits. 90 percent of my driving is in the city so this car makes a lot of sense.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I always found my 2005 EX-L 4 cyl to be quite quiet, except for some tire noise on certain road surfaces. Other than that, very peaceful.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• But still louder than most of the competition. Cars in general have gotten much quieter. That includes the Accord. However, it still lacks that more vault-like silence that is trickling down to mid-size cars from lusxury models. Altima, Passat and now Fusion are quieter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2012
    I find that the most quiet vehicle is the Fusion. You see, the tow truck blocks all the wind, allowing the Fusion to be the most quiet in it's class. Also quiet was when all the warning lights went off and the engine stopped providing forward motion. Oh, just to jam the sword in to the hilt, I have had zero problems with my "common man" Optima. It just keeps going somehow, ignoring weather as it goes along. This is called "reliability". Would someone please teach the Ford execs this basic business philosophy?

The Ford "My Sync" tech now owns you. Actually, I am surprised that part of the in-car tutorial informs you that "your a#@ is mine now buddy.

:lemon:
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Pardon if I've missed previous posts, but do you own the new Fusion? It sounds like you have a lemon...
  • lastly, I root for Ford, knowing that GM is LIKE "THE WALKING DEAD". obviously the gov't saw something in them. Lets all pray that the GM delivers what the public wants.

I think you have me confused with another poster who had a Few-sion too many!

-Chris
  • GM, like Ford, has its work cut out for it in the next few years as the market gets even more competitive, and all manufacturers continue to improve and expand their offerings. At this time, however, GM is doing very well and is profitable. Their bright spots are the US and China. Like everyone else in Europe (Ford included), operations there suck. However, they have plans to turn that around, and for a company on the ropes not too long ago, they have issued more new product than practically any other company.

Now, the 2013 Fusion is a better car than the Malibu, and Ford still sells more trucks than anyone. However, the upcoming Impala is a better design than the Taurus, and the Sonic is better rated than the very good Fiesta. A new Silverado is just months away. Both companies will have to scramble continuously to remain in the fray. The Taurus needs incentives on the hood to outsell the Mercedes E Class, a much more expensive car. Meanwhile, Chrysler is gaining market share and also profitable again. Paid back those government loans and saved a ton of direct and ancillary jobs in the process. Chrysler may even save Fiat now.

But there is only so much market. To increase market share, someone else has to lose it. So companies will continue to rise and fall. Both GM and Ford may be healthy 10 years from now, but it is possible that both might be gone, or swallowed up by others. Ford can't seem to get a grip on the luxury market, even while some of their money-losing luxury cast-offs (Land Rover, Jaguar, Volvo) seem to be making a go of it.

Another Ford cast-off, Mazda, will have a very competitive and pretty Mazda6 for sale in next year. The mid-size market is the most cut-throat of all now, as soon every entry will be a competient one. I believe the mediocre Avenger will soon be renewed or killed, and the Chrysler 200, the only other non-competitive model for sale, will soon be re-made and kicked up market. It's a great time to be in the market for a good new car.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    edited November 2012
    I have a feeling you are referring to the 2010 thru 2012 model. The 13 has only recently been showing up on lots. I have to say my 2009 Fusion SEL V6 which I bought in October 2008 has been an excellent car. No problems. Very reliable.

I just bought a 2012 Toyota Highlander Limited 4wd and already the power liftgate has a problem where the entire tailgate and motor for the power liftgate must be replaced. I mean a new liftgate and motor must actually be ordered into the Dealership, Painted, and installed. There was a TSB issued for the problem but if your one of the unlucky suckers that are not still under the original warranty which is 3 years or 36,000 then you have to foot the entire bill. I have 3500 miles on it. All brands have their issues. Many people (expecially Honda, Prius, and now Volt Owners) will never admit they might have issures when questioned about their vehicles reliability. I think sometimes they feel as though they have to now rationalize their loyalty to a brand or model and why they purchased and continue to purchase. I have no loyalty to any brand. I buy what I like and don't base my purchase on so called reliability ratings of resale value. That is unless they are rated very unreliable. Then I might pause.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    I am 27,000 miles into a 2010 Mercury Milan (aka Fusion with different appearance pieces) with not one issue and it is very quiet (one of the main reasons for the purchase) and economical (average over 27,000 = 31.4 mpg staying in Left lane). It has sync but none of the other electronic doodads which Ford seems to be pushing. A great car with very good handling on Michelins which look like they will give about 40,000+ judging from remaining tread. I hope they maintain a near base version without all the gadgets since I refuse to buy a car with a screen that needs to be read to communicate it's message. I will not take my eyes off the road. I do favor knobs and buttons. I am a bit of a luddite but I am also an electrical engineer and shudder to think of the expensive repairs that could result from a single diode opening somewhere among the thousands of circuit boards that are being given more and more control over how the car drives. There are electronic LSDs on some cars now that "apply the brakes to the outside wheel when cornering to act as a LSD". I don't want to be driving along at 75 mph when that circuit goes haywire. I perceive that a significant minority think Ford is going overboard with the gadgets. Sync was good and they were first to market but Ford should remember they are not Sony. Stick to cars and reliability. Less is more.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Remember...SYNC is Microsoft...
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    That's kind of why we chose the Highlander over the Edge or Explorer. We wanted the limited, but since it was my wife's vehicle I felt uncomfortable with her using the MyFordTouch. You can use voice command to change radio presets and to change the Temp. We were not going to get the Navigation. Actually, my wife would have never figured it out. She can't even use the buttons on the steering wheel of our Fusion or the Highlander. She still reaches over and uses the knobs and buttons on the center stack. She is pretty much the opposite of Tech savvy. Also the Highlander did ride a lot smoother than the Edge. The Explorer was more vehicle than we needed with no kids left at home.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I heard no mention of the new "Fusion". I drove the 2013 accord and Fusion and the Fusion is much more quiet and better sounding engine (1.6L ecoboost). Accord has better ergonomics though.

I like the looks of the Fusion, but quality concerns as of late and a particularly high sticker price for the equipment level I'd want leave me cold. I'll likely drive one soon enough, but the Ford dealer wasn't in the area where I was that particular afternoon.
    noises was/has been the biggest show stopper on Accord for my wife. Really thought Honda has finally put its acts together in this generation... very disappointing!! although we will also test drive in person to confirm, but if it is much noisier than 2009 Sonata...

You mentioned to have also driven 2013 Altima, the new Altima was claimed to be Camry-level quiet, how does that Altima compared with your Sonata in terms of noises? granted the Sonata is a V6.

I drove a 2012 Altima SL, not the new design 2013. It didn't stand out to me as particularly noisy. However, the day I drove the Altima, I drove a 2011 Fusion Hybrid. That car was such a trip (in a good way) that noise levels don't stand out to me on the Altima.

To Hyundai's credit/detriment, my V6 Sonata seems to have bested the comparable Camry in terms of isolation from noise and vibration, at least in comparison to the LE V6 I drove of the previous generation. As a result, it's pretty dull to drive, but very serene on a trip or my long highway commute.
    I always found my 2005 EX-L 4 cyl to be quite quiet, except for some tire noise on certain road surfaces. Other than that, very peaceful.

I did too until I bought my Sonata. In comparison, the Honda has loads of road noise. Was a good car though!
    edited November 2012
    WHY IS EVERYTHING IN BOLD NOW? IS THIS A TRIAL?

LOL LMAO.
    edited November 2012
    Truth. The truth is when we can quibble all day about which car is better and which one costs the least/most, which is fastest or most fuel efficient or both. Then, we can all argue and fight about why we like what we purchased, or are about to purchase. I have a list of my top 10 reasonably priced cars, if anyone cares to keep fighting!

10) ACURA ILX 2.4 6 speed manual (200 hp, and yes it is a gussied up Civic) Price? $25k!!
    9) Mazda Miata MX-5. Love everything about it, except that I can't fit in it. We all want what we can't have, and I CANT!
    8) 2000 Acura Integra. Drove like it was on rails. Really. Fantastic, light, Civic-based gold standard for handling in a sleek, sexy package. Price? $19,999. 2 door, black, tan interior, and with the wing on the back. 5 speed manual only of course. The 4 speed slushbox killed it's direct control charm. It is also a Civic underneath...not a bad thing...just a footnote. Acura made a fortune on them.
    7) 1995 Mazda RX-7. OMG. Fast, direct, screamed like a banshee, Engine has ONE moving part. ONE!
    6) 2007 Shelby Mustang GT, (Nuff said)
    7) Camaro SS 305 HP LT1 Awesome! (until it breaks down)
    5) Firebird Formula (same as Camaro + a beluga whale as front clip) fast though!

TBC tomorrow!
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Camry 29,926 +35.8%
    Accord 28,349 +25.5%
    Altima 24,623 +12.8%
    Sonata 16,773 -8%
    Optima 12,948
    Fusion 12,690 -29.9%
    Malibu 9,629 -6%
    200 8,758 -22%
    Passat 8,355 +65.8%

I'm surprised at how close the Accord is to the Camry....Just a fluke? Don't know....
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    What surprises me the most is Kia out-selling Ford, GM, Chrysler, and VW. People must be catching onto the fact that the Optima is a fine choice in the mid-sized field, also very reasonably priced - nicely equipped for under $20k real world pricing.

Also interesting: Hyundai/Kia together nearly beating sales of the Camry!

I think once the new Accord catches on it will overtake the Camry. At least it should if there is any justice; Camry pales in comparison to the new Accord in so many ways. Toyota needs to be sent a message: mediocre isn't good enough any more.
  • The Accord and Camry have been close in the race Camry wins for years, so current sales figures are not unusual. The Altima has been doing much better in the past few years. Interesting to see that the Optima outsells the Fusion right now. And for VW to make such inroads after years of basically being a non-plyer in this segment is remarkable.
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    I think people who are interested in a Fusion are delaying purchase until the 2013 models are widely available. The pictures of the pretty faced new model have been around for months and people like the AM-like snout. It is a new model and many will wait for the newest model. The present 2012 Fusion is a lame duck in their eyes. To others, the present 2012 Fusion may be a very good deal when Ford applies promotions to move the residual stock of the 2012s. Some may prefer the 2012 to the 2013 (I would) based on the "never buy the first model year" axiom. I find the styling of the new Fusion to be awkward (small tapered snout, BIG side view, high back). I prefer the new grille to the old razor blade type but the grille is not an item I would base purchase on. I wish Ford well and expect the new Fusions will sell well. I think they let the cat out of the bag a bit early in that some folks have been salivating for the new model for 6 months now. That has to hurt sales of the present model at least until there are lots of 2013s for people to see in person and make their final decision. Now they are in limbo.
    edited November 2012
    This forum is about MID-SIZED SEDANS so you may have more people to argue with on the appropriate forums for the cars you listed. And if you "pledge to speak the truth....", you might try with the right price on the ILX. The 2.4L starts at $29,200...not $25k. ;)
    Not surprising as they were dealing(blowing out) the 2012 model Accords and the 2013s started to sell with great reviews from the auto press. I think tons of people are/were holding out for the new Fusion which isn't reflected at all and will probably be a huge seller.

As far as Sonata/Optima almost as many sales as Camry, I'd be more interested in a YTD number as one month can be a very incomplete picture. There may have been a large rental fleet buy, may have been a lot of incentives for some reason, new model introductions, sale prices by dealers, etc. Any number of things can greatly influence a monthly sales number so, though somewhat interesting, not all that meaningful.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I'm surprised the Altima's sales weren't a little higher, but oh well. I really like the new one, but I would never get the I4. The whale of the CVT and engine was just so ridiculous it wasn't even funny. I couldn't live with it. The V6 on the other hand, was much quieter, and the CVT drone was not that noticeable. If your in the market for the Altima get the V6. Still gets good gas mileage and you won't have to deal with that loud I4-CVT drone.
    October is a tough month to judge by. You have the model years switching (leftovers selling next to '13s), and as you note, some of them are coming out with a redesign, and often that leads to a temporary shortage. The 4th quarter as a whole should give a lot better picture.

I do have to say that the mid size (though IMO some of these have breached the barrier into full size!) category has a ton of strong choices. I am not planning to ever be looking in the class again though, so hopefully it trickles down to the C class too.

Speaking of Altima sales and whether fleet buys influence sales numbers... I was in my local Nissan dealership today and had a long talk with a very nice sales rep. One of the things he mentioned was that Nissan has sold 300,000 2013 Altimas to Enterprise. Not sure over what time span the deliveries will be, but that's got to help bump up the Altima numbers.

But the sales rep also said sales of the new Altima had been strong, held down by lack of V6 cars. He said early adopters tend to go for the high-end trims and low-end trims, so they were selling a lot of V6s right now. I sat in it and it looks like a fine entry to me--tons better look/feel wise than the Camry. Rear leg room was more than I expected based on some reviews. I didn't drive one because I am not in the market for that big of a car right now, but did drive the new Sentra--review elsewhere.
    you must have an extra zero in there. They aren't going to sell 300K total, and no way Enterprise can absorb that many!

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    New Fusions are only trickling in while most of the 2012s are already gone. It's a simple supply problem. The 2013 should be back to #3 shortly and may give the top 2 a run for their money when Flat Rock comes online. Fusion is currently production constrained in Hermosillo - they can only make about 300K vehicles per year including exports to South and Latin America and the MKZ and MKZ hybrid.
    edited November 2012
    Then the sales rep had the extra zero. He said 300,000--twice.
    Maybe as production of the new Fusion ramps up they'll address the quality control issues mentioned in early reviews.

With production held to 300,000 a year, the Fusion will never catch the likes of the Camry, Accord, Altima, or even the Sonata/Optima cousins in sales volume.
    That's what you get for believing a sales person no matter how nice they are. 300k is probably what they will sell totally with Enterprise being just a small portion of that. They have only sold 258k ytd. Maybe they will sell 300,000 to Enterprise over the next twenty years, LOL.
    edited November 2012
    Why does the Optima have zero plus or minus figures? The current style has been around for 2 models years....but the Optima has been sold since 2000!

What happened to the sales figures? No offense, but I am into stuff like this, especially on a car that I own! (12 Optima EX). They had to add hours to their shifts in the West Point Georgia assembly plant to keep up with demand. The are other plants producing various versions including turbo-diesel and several small petrol engines not offered in North America.

Thanks! -Chris
  • Actually, your hypothesis about Fusion sales is not correct. The 2012 Fusion sold better this year than it ever has since introduction. It has not been viewed by buyers as the lame duck it is. The 2013 is available now, but Ford hasn't gotten the pipeline completely full yet with Fusions equipped the way people will want them. Part of that is making sure that the new model's production and distribution are going smoothly before turning the tap on all the way.

BTW, for the last 20 years, I have often bought the first model year of a redesign and have never regretted it. Cars are and have to be good out of the gate these days. If you look at recalls, they are just as likely to happen on models that have been out a few years. Buy what you like when you are ready to buy.
    That's probably it... a multi-year deal. Or an extra zero. ;)

But it should be noted that Toyota, Ford, GM, Chrysler, and to some extent Hyundai/Kia also get significant sales volume for mid-sizers from rental fleets. I see lots of Camrys, Fusions (not new ones yet), Malibus, and Avengers/200s at Hertz for example.
  • You hit the nail on the head. For example, Ford Truck's are #1 in sales because of dirt cheap volume deals to the US (and other) governments.

Usually the D.O.T. (dept of trans) buys these vehicles by the trainload in order to maintain and repair our roads. Also they are used for snow removal, search and rescue, forestry services and....the US military built to spec.

Most states already have the infrastructure to maintain a certain brand of vehicle...so changing over to chevy or dodge would be mega expensive.

Just fyi.
    edited November 2012
    I agree, actually. I am afraid that my 12 year old will never learn to drive a car w/o electronic/computer nannies.

WHen I was taught to drive (in 1986) it was on a 72 Pinto with a 4 speed manual. It had power NOTHING. I was taught how to drive the car...not how the car drove me! The interior was swathed in "Rich Corinthian Vinyl" LOL.
    (The Pinto was sold in 1984 to buy the very first production Dodge Caravan, in silver, no pass side mirror, no tape deck, no tinted glass. Just an automatic trans and a 4 banger. The A/C was great though.
    Today almost all cars are vastly superior than most cars were in the 1970's or '80's, but I still think a kid should be taught to drive a stick. I am 42, so please excuse my dementia!
    I like the looks of the Fusion, but quality concerns as of late and a particularly high sticker price for the equipment level I'd want leave me cold. I'll likely drive one soon enough, but the Ford dealer wasn't in the area where I was that particular afternoon.

What is this I hear about a "quality" problem with Ford of late? What is up with that? After doing so well for years their quality is falling? What do you guys attribute that to? Is it gibberish? Is it real?

I find it all hard ta believe. Fill me in. What is the cause of it and it is really real?

Grab a copy of the latest CR and read about their automaker reliability ratings. Ford's slide is documented there. And see also comments re the new Fusion's quality issues in the recent MT comparo (or could have been C/D, both had recent mid-sizer comparos).