Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I don't understand the issue with the turn stalk on the Fusion. As for dealers stocking manuals, don't blame them. For some unknown reason Ford only allows manuals to be ordered for retail customers not dealer stock. No idea why.
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    edited February 2013
    That sounds like a hassle and a half to me. At that rate, I will settle for a Fusion (and remain envious of our friendly neighbors to the north).

My hope - if my 3 year old, problem-riddled Focus doesn't completely implode in the meantime - is that Mazda will rejigger the options packaging on the trims when the diesel 6 arrives (not that I need an oil burner, but I would certainly consider one if they do hook it up to a manual transmission).

Mazda is making a mistake if they throw roadblocks in front of drivers demanding manuals. They could own that market with this car if they wanted to. Is it huge? Probably not. But a few thousand extra units out the door certainly seems possible. Why continue to cede the sub-40 segment to VW?

The same goes for any major manufacturer willing to put a midsize wagon on the road. Everyone fears cannibalizing their high-margin crossover sales w/wagons, but there is a market out there for them (before Subaru made its Outback uber ugly, I saw quite a few of them puttering about).
    edited February 2013
    Well, that's a poor decision on Ford's part (why even sell them if they... don't want to sell them?). Interestingly, the last time I was in the market for a midsize car was in late April of 2008 and the Fusion was at the top of my list. Of the Ford dealers in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, there were about 20 or so Fusions with manuals in inventory at the time (each dealer having 1 or 2). I finalized my decision on a Fusion after a Friday afternoon test drive, got bank financing on Saturday and by the time I got off work Monday afternoon, all 4 of the manual Fusion "finalists" I was considering (due to color, options, etc.) had been sold (e.g., I didn't want a white one with a camel interior and 18 inch wheels) - silly me for thinking Ford couldn't move that many midsize cars equipped with sticks in a single weekend. In retrospect, putting money down on that Moss Green beauty would've been a wise choice.

I ended up buying a Chevy HHR LT with a manual instead [and spent what seemed like half of the next two years of my life driving around in Chevrolet Malibu service loaners]. My God, have I made some car buying mistakes in my life...
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Base models had 98! And the top-end LX-i had 122. Somehow we managed.

yes, but the new car is significantly bigger and safer...which contributes to its 3300lbs; about 800 pounds more than the 88 accord.

Image the 88 accord with 98hp and 4) 200 lb people in it :)
  • bb49bb49 Member Posts: 25
    The C/D 0-60 test is suspect as far as I can tell no one else has been able to duplicate this result. I also take any review from this publication on a Honda product with suspicion as it is clearly biased towards Honda products.
    The Optima blind spot (in fact all cars, except maybe a convertible with the top down, (even the Accord) has rear blind spots because of the C pillars) really is not a problem for me and for that matter any driver who properly adjust his or her side view mirrors and rear view mirror. Thus the Accord's better rear visibility really is no value to me and I would rather have a car with stunningly attractive styling that makes me happy when I looked at it.
    Right now Mazda only offers the manual in its lowest trim (Sport) but will soon be offering the manual with the better equipped Touring trim level. I have driven the Accord and overall I find the Mazda to be a better driver's car with more responsive handling and of course, there is really no contest when comparing the styling of the Mazda 6 to the bland Accord. If you have a chance you should also compare the fold down rear seats of the Accord to the superior Mazda 6 fold down seat. The Accord has a one piece fold down rear seat and to make matter worse the opening is small and rounded at the top corners making it even less useful. Whereas the Mazda is nice bigger rectangular opening and it is split 60/40 giving you the option of carrying a passenger. The Mazda also have a better rear trunk hinge design as it slides into housings on the top of the trunk shelf thereby avoiding any possibility of the hinges damaging any cargo in the trunk which could be damaged by the exposed hinges on the Accord.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
    Man, it sounds like you want a drivers car with controls that make sense. At least give the Optima Turbo a shot. 274hp with regular unleaded and paddle shift is very satisfying. The dealer will work with you on price, and you can get one 5 miles away, not 500. The controls and center stack is totally intuitive. 100k warranty and killer looks to seal the deal. Fyi. Lastly, every car I owned with a manual required more repairs and less value when the time came to sell. I would love a manual car.... Parked right next to my sensible daily driver sedan. :shades:
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for your reviews as you decide which midsize sedan to get. Seems like each of us who own our particular car want to put in our 2 cents for our brand. Nothing wrong with that, and I'm going to do the same.

Over the last 13 years I've owned one new Ford (a 2000 Focus ZTS 5 MT), one new Mazda (a 2010 Mazda5 5MT), and two new Hondas (a 2002 Accord LX 5 MT and a 2008 Accord EXL Navi 5 MT). They were all good cars from a performance perspective, and even in term of the "shift feel" of the manuals. I slightly prefer the Honda manuals, and generally reading reviews you'll find that most reviewers agree. Mazda is a close second or maybe equal. When you drive the new Accord manual I think you'll find what I think of as an almost "jewel-like precision" to the manual.

For acceleration 0-60 with the manual the Accord seems to have a real advantage. Here are the times I've found with the site 0-60:

2014 Mazda6 Sport 6MT: 7.3

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Mazda-0-60-mph-Times.html

2013 Ford Fusion 1.6 0-60: 7.9

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Ford-0-60-mph-Times.html

2013 Honda Accord Sport 6 MT 0-60: 6.7!

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Honda-Vtech-0-60-mph-Times.html

In other words, the 2013 Accord with the manual beats some of the competition by about a second. That's huge in my book, and about as fast as most 6 cylinders of just a few years ago.

In terms of reliability my Hondas were equal to the Mazda—very reliable high-quality vehicles.

My 2000 Ford Focus was a nightmare with literally two dozen recalls, including one for possible engine fire. I know Ford has improved, but the recalls and problems with the new Fusion (including a recall for engine fire) seem to show that Ford still has some work to do.

Of the cars you're considering, the Honda is made right here in the USA at their factory in Ohio. They've recently released a factory tour video that shows step by step how your Accord is made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBluTaWjPIU

I've owned two Accords built at this factory, and am now in negotiations to try to get a third. Those Marysville Honda Associates do very good work imho.

The Fusion is made in Mexico for now. Nothing against our good neighbors down south, but I personally prefer made in USA by relatively high wage workers.

The Mazda is made in Japan. The yen has been quite high until recently, and that has hurt Mazda. I think they've had to cut costs by cheapening some things in their vehicles. Probably the Mazda6 has not been affected by this, since it's a new signature model to get them back in the game, but my 2010 Mazda5 does seem cheap in some areas (like dashboard plastics and standard tires) that I don't find on my Hondas.

My experience with the Mazda, in other words, good though it's been, has convinced me to go back to Honda.

Just my 2 cents. Hope you'll let us know how it goes and what you decide.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    edited February 2013
    Yesterday I did a test drive on a loaded Accord EXL. Having owned two previous Accords from past generations I could immediately sense that Honda has upped its game for this generation. This leather model seemed almost Audi-like in refinement and luxury. The technology was not just amazing, but seemed useful too.

The 2013 Accord seems significantly quieter than my 2008 EXL. The road noise, one of Hondas weak points for many years, has finally been addressed. The fit and finish was impressive, and all that I'd been expecting from the good reviews.

Even though on the test drive I went on the Interstate and some winding two lane roads, I can't say for sure if the handling and steering were better or worse than the 2008 Accord (which has hydraulic steering and double wishbone front suspension).

I would say for now it was just as good, if not better, but different in feel.

Trying to negotiate now for a 2013 EXL navi in red. It's a very rare model, and so not sure how it will go. I'm not in a place where I have to buy a car, and so if we need to wait until summer for it to work we can do that....
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Image the 88 accord with 98hp and 4) 200 lb people in it

You are missing the point. What was the 0-60 time of that 1988 Accord, even with the LX-i's fuel injected engine? Nowhere close to 5.6 secs, no matter how light it was. Yet people loved that car, and managed just fine.

My wife's 2007 Sonata had "only" 162 hp and a 4-speed slushbox. Yet it was more than quick enough to move out when needed. Her new 2013 has 198 hp, but the car is about the same weight as the 2007. And of course the Sonata can be had with over 270 horses.

Do people buy these mid-sized sedans to take them drag racing on weekends, or schlep from home to work to the mall? I think mostly the latter. Not sure how all that power helps there.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    I agree it would be a hassle, it was more a tounge in cheek comment. I really don't know why they would offer it here and not there, my guess would be the dealers say nobody buys them, so they aren't offered ( proving their point as they are not available, like wagons etc. )
    Ford's Hermosillo plant leads the company in manufacturing quality. High USA wages don't guarantee anything.
    edited February 2013
    That might well be true. But some people, like me, would somewhat prefer if more of the money they spent on a car stayed in the US working here. But for many that's not a consideration. Everyone gets to make their own choice....+++ And the Fusion is a great looking car with a lot of plusses, including the best braking time that I've seen.
    I just recently read in a Motor Trend article that Mazda is going to be offering the Touring trim level with the manual as well, so I hope there's some validity to that. Unfortunately, it includes a bunch of equipment I could probably live with if I absolutely had to (vinyl seats, 19 inch wheels, "Commander Switch", etc.), but still doesn't give me entry to the sunroof (presently available only on the Grand Touring). I wish Mazda would just go the track Ford/GM/Chrysler have in the past and offer a sun/sound package on the base model. Problem solved.
    edited February 2013
    I've never really understood the whole automated manual concept myself. I remember driving a new Dodge Stratus w/Chrysler's "Autostick" back in the late '90s and thinking afterward, "Why would anyone want one of these?" Thought the same thing when I test drove a VW with "Tiptronic" a few years later. And then again with an A3 dual clutch paddle shift a couple years after that. Since then, I think I've driven 20 or so different models - domestic and foreign - with some form of automated manual in them. And what's to say? They're still automatics (and I dislike them for all the same reasons).

I kind of wonder why manufacturers even bother with them. The percentage of automatic drivers who actively use them has to be smaller than the number of folks driving regular manuals. My parents, for instance, weren't even aware their new Volvo XC70 had a "Geartronic" shiftable auto until I pointed it out to them - 9 months after they brought the car home. They still don't use it (and I suspect they're probably glad they don't have to).

If I was forced to drive a slushbox, I wouldn't be in hunting in this segment anyway. There's a Chrysler dealer a block from my house and I'm forced to drive past a row of shiny new Chargers every day I leave home. To each his own, but that's the most attractive vehicle on the road today IMHO (even beats the new 6). And with Chrysler's never-ending rebateathon, a brand new HEMI model (with my requisite sunroof) can often be had for under $27K.

Like overweight ladies, I really wish I loved automatic transmissions. Life would be so much easier - there's certainly no shortage of them.
  • I think the issue here could be geography. There is no way I am going to pump a clutch in DC traffic. It's hard on me and hard on the car. However, on the rare occasion that the beltway/395/95 highway is clear, I enjoy a spirited cruise. I don't own the turbo, but I do like to decelerate with my "slushbox" in manual, keep the rev's up, and shoot through a corner on full boil in 3rd then back to auto.
    The Optima Turbo does not have a real dual-clutch automated manual either. It is the exact same 6 speed auto that is in the EX 2.4, with flappy paddles added on.

You use the term "slushbox" a lot, and it reminds me of the days of the "turbo-hydromatic" 3-60E GM 3 speed automatic. Today's 6-speed auto units are far more advanced, and extremely durable.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    2012 Toyota Camry SE Special Edition (2012 only) - basically an SE V6 package with the 4 cylinder engine. They only made them for 4 or 5 months last year. They are loaded with sunroof, nav, entune but not leather and no rear camera (dammit). Several available if you shop around.
    MSRP 27k (or so); sell price 23.5k (clearance)
    residual 15077 (for 12000 miles per year)
    money factor 0.00001 (yes, that is very low)
    Dealer offer: 35 payments of $262 (includes 6.5% sales tax) with absolutely zero o-t-d
    This weekend (additional $500 from TFS): payment reduced to 249
    Rationale for why i passed:
    1. after driving a few cars with the rear camera, i am hooked
    2. fear of having to replace the 18 inch tires before/at the end of the lease
    Back to the Accord forum...
    You forgot the #1 reason re "why not this deal?"...

IT'S A CAMRY!!! :P

Although it's a good lease price compared to something like a 2013 Accord LX (which is going for $289/mo with 0 out of pocket in my town), there's comparable lease deals on better, newer cars e.g. Passat SE, Sonata GLS w/PEP, and Optima LX. Add an aftermarket nav system for $100 and drive happy w/o the pitfalls of the 18" wheels. No moonroof, but payment will be less than $249 also. You might find a Sonata Limited or Optima EX for around $250/mo--I haven't shopped those trim levels.
    Well that's a totally different issue.
    I currently drive a 2011 Sonata GLS and the lease is up in 2 months. I drove the Accord and this particular Camry (back to back) and was surprised that the Camry SE with the 18 inch wheels and lower profile tires did not have a harsh ride. The deal is sweet but the downsides were enough to keep me shopping.
    BTW, the lease deals on the Accord are 255 LX, 284 EX with first and fees down here in OH. Still no cash incentives from honda and the Sport model of the Accord is the prime seller. Time is still on my side for a little while...
    I got the point :)

I loved the 88 accord too.

My point was it was 800 lbs lighter (2500 lbs). So in the 'olden' days 98hp adequate.

You 'need' more now with heavier vehicles; more hp, more gears etc. 98hp in the current Accord would be like adding 800lbs in the 88 Accord...a show stopper.

"Need" is very subjective when automobiles are involved; I too have been guilty of "need"...But recently I explicitly looked for a 4cyl in my current vehicle...bypassing the V6. After many years stuck in traffic in 300+hp cars I figured what's the point :)
    Geography can be an issue. But Minneapolis has its fair share of traffic too - especially when you work downtown and live in the 'burbs. My current commute after a recent move is a cinch - about 10 minutes. But my old commute across the metro was 45 minutes to 2+ hours, depending on traffic and weather. And I had a stick (and still didn't want an automatic). Yes, having to operate a clutch can be constant in heavy traffic, but I never really thought of it as a form of torture.

Automatics, on the other hand, are a form of torture (in my opinion - we can agree to disagree). And the more speeds they have, the worse the torture (I actually prefer CVTs to traditional planetary gearset transmissions when it comes to modern automatics). It seems like whenever I'm in a rental, the thing's never in the right gear in traffic. Modern automatics upshift way too early (indeed I understand it saves fuel) and when you turn a corner and hit the gas, there's always that moment of pause (during which I admittedly have a tendency to punch the accelerator ) before it kicks down a couple of gears and rockets forward. Annoying.

I've had salespeople tell me that transmission electronics can predict my behavior. I kindly disagree. And then invariably they tell me their transmission can predict my behavior. Whatever.

I just like manuals and the days of manuals are going away. I've got plenty of years ahead of me to drive automatics. Eventually, we'll all be forced to. I just want to enjoy that extra control behind the wheel while I still can.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited February 2013
    No, I think you're still missing his point. IMO his point is that back in the day we thought 9-11secs or more to 60mph in a economy car was just fine. Now we complain if it's over 7 secs. Everyone knows cars have gotten heavier due to general size, crash safety standards and add equipment. But the HP has way more than kept pace with weight gains. Don't get me wrong, I like the pep just fine. But the point was our expectations of how fast a car is has changed. We would not be satisfied with todays cars with just enough hp to go 0-60 in 9-11secs.

Heck, a 1982 Accord LX took almost 13 secs 0-60mph. Don't think that would go over too well today.
    Bingo!
    edited February 2013
    My first car was a 1969 VW Bus. 0-60 in c. 22 seconds. I'm not kidding.

Today my 2008 Honda Accord 4 cylinder 5 MT is considered somewhat slow, but it gets to 60 in somewhere around 8.5 seconds.
    edited February 2013
    And here I thought the VW Bus was... a bus! Come to find out it's a mid-sized sedan! ;)

Who is it who considers your 2008 Accord "somewhat slow"? You? Or the guys at C/D who drag race their V6 Accords, using launching techniques that are clearly "do not attempt this at home"?
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I own a 2001 Odyssey and have had to replace the transmission 3 times already

When I was getting my transmission rebuilt (actual rebuilder since it was a special model GM car), it turns out that this guy also was the best rebuilder in the country for Hondas and where all of the dealerships in Southern California were sending their work to.

Long story short. In Japan, the Odyssey is sold with a 4 cylinder engine only. When they brought it to the U.S., they put a V6 in it, but they didn't re-design the transmission since it was within spec.

But add fat Americans (relative to Japanese people), heavy loads, quick starts and MUCH faster driving than in Japan and the clutch packs simply burn themselves out due to not being able to handle the extra torque and weight. Evidently according to him, this affects almost all 6 cylinder cars from Honda as it's a major cost to design a brand new transmission for a V6 which only gets sold in the U.S. The Odyssey is a definite "don't even consider buying it" according to him. As in sell it before it fails again.

The CVT, he's not a fan of.(well, he makes good money off of them... just saying...) Shocker. New untested technology. Who would have guessed?

The skinny on Honda? Manual or 4 cylinder only.
    I see your point :)

I remember borrowing an 89 Civic Si from a relative to drive some friends...everyone was amazed at how fast it was; 0-60 in mid 8's

btw...very fun to drive
  • I had a 94 Integra, and 142 HP was awesome at the time for that size engine.

It handled like it was on rails. My 6'2" frame fit great in the Integra, but not in my brother-in-laws 94 Civic EX. Funny, since the the 94 Integra IS a Civic.
  • You are absolutely right. Most people incorrectly adjst their side mirrors so that they can see the side of their car in the mirror. They should be adjusted so that as soon as the car in back begins to disappear from the rear view mirror it immediately appears in the side mirror. Also, a quick glance over your shoulder for good measure does not hurt.
    What about Acura with all the V6s they use? Haven't heard about a lot of transmission problems there. Do they use an entirely different tranny than Honda uses in the Accord/Odyssey/Pilot? Why don't they just use the Acura tranny if that can handle the 300+ HP of the TL SHAWD and the MDX?
    Yes, all these people that complain about blind spots and ghost cars make me laugh. How do they think all the cargo van and truck drivers avoid accidents? They can't see a lick out the back on either side. They use their mirrors correctly. The only time they can't see a car behind is if it's right on their bumper. That's why they have a little sigh on the back that says something like "if you can't see my mirrors I can't see you". Reversely, if you can see their mirror they CAN see you. Why? Because they have the damn things adjusted correctly. If you do there are no blind spots.

I have a friend who didn't have their mirrors adjusted correctly but they were so stubborn they just wouldn't believe they "weren't doing it right". I stood outside their car about where a car on the left would be passing and stood where the drivers side bumper would be approximately just as it would disappear from the rear view mirror. I told them to look in their side mirror and they couldn't see a thing but the side of their car. Had him adjust the mirror out, and out, and out some more until they could see me standing there. I told him that is where your mirror should be adjusted. His response, "well I can't see the side of my car now". I said why the hell do you want to see the side of YOUR car, do you have some sort of fetish or something? You want to see lane next to you. Same goes for the other side of the car. He is finally a convert.
    edited February 2013
    This is what I paid on 12/28/11 for my car.

2012 Optima EX MSRP: 24,260.

Negotiated $21,860, plus $1000 to extend basic powertrain 100k warranty to 100k bumper to bumper.

SO $22,860 with leather, zebrano wood, and all the goodies except heated seats, power pass seat, and Navi. Added $100 Garmin from Best Buy.

-Dealer included all weather floor mats on top of the carpeted ones already included
    -Rubber/plastic trunk tray
    Bumper "applique"

Added Lojack $500.

Dealer paperwork/ doc-prep $250.
    So,

zero down or trade (sold my Jeep outright)

60 mos X 4.5% financing and 4.5% tax = $2110 + 23710 = $25,820 Total of Payments

monthly payment = $432 mo.

The VA tax was $1055. My rate of 4.5% and the tax rate of also 4.5% was a coincidence.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    As I mentioned, the 4 cylinder transmission design can handle normal driving with a V6. It's when you add in 6+ people and/or cargo that things go bad. Since almost all Acuras only have 3 or 4 people in them at most and aren't carrying cargo, Honda manages to get away with it without a redesign.

Also, most of the minivans and SUVs are 500-1000lbs heavier than a typical sedan. The fact remains that Honda transmissions fail a lot more than their competition if you have a vehicle with a V6 in it.

IME, though, Honda manuals are almost video game easy to drive and the performance of an Accord or similar with a manual and a 4 cylinder engine is the same as with a V6 and automatic in actual driving around town. Loads less to break and less money spent.
    In case you didn't know it the MDX is a SUV and has over 300hp and can seat 7 people and I'm sure they are loaded to gills at times. Since they have the SHAWD I'm sure they are also driven hard by many owners. The transmission should at least be built to withstand the rigors of the weight capacity of the vehicle. I haven't heard of any major problems with the MDX which probably weighs close to the Odyssey as well.

I realize that Honda and Acura if I recall had some problems with transmissions in the early 2000s from like 2011-2003 but haven't had any major issue since then so this may be an old problem that you are "warning" people about.
    edited February 2013
    Hey guys. Have you all seen the new Lincoln MKZ? I know this is mid-size sedans, but we all know that it's a Fusion underneath. The last MKZ was almost stupidly half-a**, but this one is something else. It deserves the Lincoln name, and I hope Ford can pull off it's new "Lincoln Motor Company" strategy.

http://www.caranddriver.com/photos-12q4/488202/2013-lincoln-mkz-awd-photo-490182- -

Here is a link to C/D first drive. I love it. Make mine black and it looks like a modern bat-mobile.

Also, read the full review of the 2014 Mazda6. I like it. It looks great in red and the instrument cluster is very BMW looking. Also, the side view reminds me of the Monte-Carlo's of '75-'85...in a good way.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Since the Accord's CVT is a new design for Honda, I would wait a few years to see if Honda has worked out any potential "bugs" in it

Car testers of various publications do not like CVT transmissions.

I own a 2001 Odyssey and have had to replace the transmission 3 times already.

Have a 2000 Ody with 87K miles. Transmission has been perfect, no problems. Never drive abusively, though I have helped some folks do moving, loading up the Ody with furniture, cabinets, dressers, etc. Never have towed anything with it.

In my and wife sample of 6 V6 equipped Hondas and Acuras, still have 3 (Acuras, Ody), the auto transmissions have been perfect. In over half million miles of driving.

An 86 Accord (4 cyl of course) we had, the auto transmission did fail at 217K miles and needed a rebuilt replacement from Honda. I think 217K failure was acceptable back in the 1990's.
    Some Odyssey transmissions 10+ years ago were bad. No doubt about it. And it took them a while to get the design down. But for the last few years Honda autos have been more rugged and longer lasting.

I think the new CVT will be long lasting too, but it's true that it's a new design and so it's something of an unknown. I read somewhere that Honda put huge R & D into the composite material belt of their new CVT to make it last longer. In other words, it's designed to take it and last.

Honda manuals are the best in the biz. Better than BMW many say....
    Leather, but no heated seats?? I thought Hyundai/Kia stopped doing that with the old Elantra GT, that had leather standard but no heated seats available. I have one of those. The leather feels cold on those winter mornings! (Hyundai at least has seen the error of their ways and now includes heated seats standard on the Elantra GT, even with cloth.)
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    A little something I found on the internet about honda transmissions. My 2000 accord 4 cyl had 3 replacement transmission in it before hitting 100k miles.

Honda Accord, Civic & Odyssey Transmission Failure

Widespread Transmission Problems Leave Honda Owners Up in Arms

Transmission failure with the Honda Accord, Civic and Odyssey is a widespread problem in models made from 1999-2004. The 2003 Honda Accord, 2001 Honda Civic and 2002 Honda Odyssey appear to be the worst years for transmission failure.

This is an issue with automatic transmissions and owners are reporting an average repair cost of $2,291. More than half the reported problems are happening under 90k miles, with 1 in 5 breaking down before the odometer hits 70k.
    What Causes This Transmission Problem

If your engine will rev up, but the car won't shift into gear or move it could be a defective torque converter. In fact, the majority of Honda owners with transmission problems are saying the torque converter is failing and essentially burning up the transmission fluid, rendering the entire transmission useless.

What is Honda Doing to Fix the Problem?

Honda has offered some owners out-of-warranty compensation for the transmission repairs. Rather than going through your local dealership, it's best to contact Honda Customer Service at (800) 999-1009 and ask for a "goodwill repair". If you can provide proof that you followed Honda's recommended maintenance schedule, Honda may offer to pay a portion of the repair bill -- typically 50%, although some 2003 vehicle owners have reported having up to 75% covered.

Watch out for Honda dealerships' abnormally high repair bill though. As one owner put it, "Honda has offered to cover half the repair cost. The problem is they want $5,000 to fix it. Are they nuts???" An independent repair shop will generally do the same replacement for $2,500 or less. Just make sure you get a comparable warranty on parts because the rebuilt replacement transmissions can fail just as quickly, if not sooner.

2004 Honda Transmission Recall

In 2004, Honda finally admitted to the problem with their 600,000 vehicle recall. Honda decided to recall the transmissions, at an estimated cost of $153 million to the company, after finding “10 transmission failures” according to Honda spokesman Chuck Schifsky. We're not sure where Mr. Schifsky is getting his information, because we've seen hundreds and hundreds of owner complaints. Honda later expanded the recall to include nearly 1.1 million vehicles.
    The models covered were the 2002-4 Odyssey; the 2003–4 Pilot; the 2001–2 Acura MDX; the 2003–4 Accord V-6; the 2000–4 Acura 3.2 TL and the 2001–3 Acura 3.2 CL.

Unfortunately Honda's transmission repairs, especially for those engines that had less than 15k miles before the recall, were not guaranteed to keep working. According to the Wheels blog on NYtimes.com:

In a complaint filed with the Center for Auto Safety, Jeremy Berens of Vienna, Va., said his 2003 Accord was recalled when it had fewer than 15,000 miles on the odometer. But it failed in December, with the mileage at about 67,000, as he tried to merge onto a busy highway.

“I was nearly rear-ended and had no warning,” he wrote in his complaint. “Honda has not properly fixed the recall that occurred in 2004 and are failing to recognize that a problem exists.”

He said Honda agreed to pay 40 percent of the repair after the district manager interceded on his behalf, but it still cost him $2,750.

2006 Honda Transmission Class Action Settlement

In 2006 a class-action lawsuit was settled against Honda in the Superior Court of California for Alameda County. The suit claimed that Honda misled consumers by selling them vehicles with defective transmissions. Honda settled the case without ever admitting a defect and denied the charges.

Owners covered in the lawsuit were given an extension of the transmission warranty to 93 months or 109,000 miles (whichever comes first), starting when the vehicle is first purchased or leased. According to court records, the plaintiff’s lawyers received nearly $5.5 million in addition to expenses, according to court records.

The models covered were the 2000–1 Accord; 1999–2001 Odyssey; 2000–1 Prelude; 1999–2 Acura 3.2 TL and 2001–2 Acura 3.2 CL. The problem is most of those vehicles are well past the 93-month time limit and some owners are unhappy because they're left to cover the bill when their transmissions fail outside the warranty extension, with repairs sometimes costing up to $4,000.
    thanks for the info. Now I guess we can get back to discussing midsize cars in general and not Honda transmissions as the problem was 10+ years ago.
  • 2012 Optima was rated good on IIHS test across the board. Big reason to buy for me. 3 kids under 12. Kia sweated the details. In 15 months and as many miles, not one thing has gone wrong on my car.

The Audi designer/engineer that Kia hired away (Peter Schreyer) knows his stuff. A better set of tires would make a big difference in handling. I am looking forward to a Set of Pirelli's at 30k. :)
    edited February 2013
    What kind of tires were standard?

And yes, the Optima is a very nice car. It has a lot of style, quality, value, and performance for the money. And made in USA+++

Like you I like Peter S's work, but at least we agree he should fix those blind spots for the next gen.
    I may soon be in the market for a midsize and the accord is one of the cars I would consider. After reading about the complaints about the CVT shuddering/pulsing I did a quick search and found the article below. If I get an accord I think I may just wait a year to see if they get this worked out.

Honda Cvt Gearbox Problems:
    Drive Belt Slip
    The CVT gearbox drive-belt slippage problem mentioned by the website Honda Problems occurs during acceleration. The problem affects the automatic transmission, causing the car to shudder and hesitate when accelerating. The CVT gearbox may also affect acceleration, causing speed reduction when the engine is about to make maximum revolutions per minute.

Noise
    CVT gearbox noise related to clutch slip during acceleration is mentioned by TRNW.com. The noise is generated via the pulley and belt system that supports the gear ratio change-through. Adjusting the belt back to position corrects the problem.

Fluid Leak
    The CVT gearbox automatic transmission ATF fluid leaks mentioned by Honda Problems cause low ATF level and require top off. A dealer should check a CVT gearbox to make adjustments as recommended in the manufacturer's car owner's manual
    edited February 2013
    REF: 17574

That info you posted comes from a 2005 Civic complaint. is it relevant to the 2013 Accord?
    REF: 17574

It tells me that honda has a history of transmission problems and perhaps buying a first year transmission from honda would not be a wise thing for me to do.
    I agree. I never buy a first-year model of any make. But, i am considering leasing since the warranty covers all for the term of the lease. I did that with my current Sonata and it has been very reliable.