Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    I really like the 6 so it would probably be my first choice in diesel form, my next favorite is the passat ( again in diesel form) I know many people think its styling is dull, but I think it is classy.
    Oh and yes my car has the powerhouse 800 cc diesel motor, I think your HP guess is a little high though, I am pretty sure that up here ( as opposed to Europe) they were tuned to 40 some odd HP due to the lower cetane of our fuel in North America. It takes around 20 sec 0-60 which sounds really bad, but in reality it keeps up with the flow of traffic fine, and most of the time I am out accelerating everyone at the stop lights, it is fine on the highway as well ( I tend to drive to work at around 120km/hr)., and the milage is extremely good ( 60-75 mpg US). There are new cars that are advertising milage that is getting close to what the smart gets ( like the gas smart the aerodynamics hurt it on the highway), and when it dies I may replace it with one of them ( of course the Matrix is getting very little milage on it so it should hopefully last a long time). It is also a convertible which adds fun to it, and yes it is fun to drive ( to me anyway).
    Sorry I have gone all my life so far without a heated wheel, and yes I have lived through temps of -40 without one ( grew up in NB so yes I do know a thing or two about cold too) ( though not artic cold of temps below -50). As I said it may be a "nice" thing to have but I don't see it as a deal breaker if the car I like best doesn't offer it, I certainly never said itmight not be nice, but that it wouldn't stop me from buying a car if I liked everything else about it. I think you need to give some people some credit for their life experiences too, you aren't the only one who has experienced things you know. In any case I am not saying you should do without a heated steering wheel if you want it ( or the original poster for that matter) I just don't see a luxury like a heated wheel being a deal breaker ( oh how did we live without them for all these years) , but that is not to say it isn't for you. Also like I said my opinion might be different if I had one ( as has happened with other things that I could live without until I had them) but at this point I can live happily without it ( and it is just another thing to break down).
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    It takes around 20 sec 0-60 which sounds really bad, but in reality it keeps up with the flow of traffic fine, and most of the time I am out accelerating everyone at the stop lights, it is fine on the highway as well

Really? Are there lots of amish where you live?
    Well at the time it was a mid sized Sedan, when I was going to university in the eighties I drove a 1971 Volvo 144 sedan, one morning when I had to get to exams we had had a snowstorm the night before ( exams weren't cancelled for anything as minor as a snow storm in New Brunswick). I went out to my car, and cleaned it off, the snow was up to the hood of the car, I started it up, back up as far as I could ( a few inches) and proceeded to drive out of the driveway, plowing snow all the way, we had cleaned to plow pile at the street, but I had to get to my exam so didn't hav time to shovel the rest. Mind you those old Volvos were different from today's cars, at the time of the above story I did have old tech Michelin snow tires on the car, but before that we had never had snows on our cars, just used the Michelin zx radial summer tires all year round, we still got around better than pretty much everyone else, including going up rather steep hills ( leaving surprised people with the FWD " snowplows as they were advertized at the time looking on in dismay) of course that was in the wagons with better weight distribution, those car also had about 8" of ground clearance ( almost as good as, or maybe better than some new CUVs have ( and some SUVs as well) and the 165/15 tires were skinny and could find good traction since the weight of the car was on those small contact patches. They were great cars in the snow ( and off road too for that matter).
    No, just most people use very little of the capabilies if their cars, also the smart has good gearing the the first three gears, it accelerates to 30mph pretty well, there is then a gap to forth which drops it out of the best power range, once you get through that 4th to 6th are fine. I also think part of the slowness is just getting moving, with some turbo and drivetrain lag, if you prepare in advance some of that goes away ( so probably closer to 15 sec to 60) still slow I admit, but once rolling until you get up to about 110 kph the torque is there to accelerate it more normally, I never feel as though it is dangerous at all ( though I freely admit, the power of the Matrix is nice to have too, and I am sure even more power would be addictive). At some point I am going to get the smart "chipped" to get me up to around a whopping 60 hp which should increase the fun factor a little. I have had it for about 3 years now and have put 120,000 km on it so I am very familiar with what it can and can't do ( I even drove it 2400 miles to New Brunswick and back when I need to go see my father before an operation in a four day weekend). It works just fine over all and those 2400 miles cost me a grand total of $ 150 in diesel ( a friend at work towed his trailer to go camping less than 300 miles and spent more than twice that in gas for his truck, to be fair he was towing a 35-40 ft fith wheel trailer so it wasn't exactly getting the best milage).
  • ethel6932ethel6932 Member Posts: 1
    Im just gonna throw this out here and see if anyone else has noticed this issue. I just purchased a 2013 Ford Fusion SE about three weeks ago .. it has approximately 700 miles on it and I really do not like it . I traded my 05 expedition and at this point would do anything to have it back .. with that said... have any of you driven your '13 fusion with the windows down ... the noise is terrible .. i mean just unbearable ... I can only compare the noise in my car from the wind or whatever causes it to standing under a helicopter that has the blades spinning at full force, the noise hurt my ears so bad i cannot ride with the window down ... I think this is unacceptable . The salesman says that i should just ride with the windows up and the air conditioner on .. this was his solution ... any comments ? solutions? similar complaints? I live in upstate NY ... we like to ride with the windows down . Also at 400 miles the brake rotors (all four of them) had grooves worn into them and when you step on the brake it makes a terrible noise and the front end vibrates its really awful .
    Don't know why your brakes are bad already, did the dealer miss something in prep?
    As for the noise with window down, this is pretty common with a lot of cars, that said it normally happens with just one, or sometimes with just the front windows down, normally if you open the rear windows a bit too this stops the noise, hopefully that is the case with your car.
  • tundradweller1tundradweller1 Member Posts: 74
    We own a 2011 Sonata 2.0T and a 2014 Mazda 6. BOTH cars have that same "chopper blade" sound when you only have the rear windows fully (half way) down at Highway speeds. I attribute it to the new, almost flat, sloping rear window style that traps the air above the rear deck.
    Try experimenting with different levels on the rear windows and opening the fronts too. As for the brakes, demand better.....
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I've found that opening the passenger front window to varying degree plus the driver's rear window (again to varying degree) provides good flow-through ventilation with minimal noise and wind buffeting of the driver. It's worked on lots of cars over the years. Try it and experiment.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    scwmcan is correct. This noise occurs in every modern car (2000+) I've driven. I just open one of the rear windows a bit and it corrects the annoying...pulsating sound.

The brake rotors at 400 miles sounds like a problem...and the vibrating as well.

I've warped rotors on a very hot day driving through a puddle (central TX summer), but I imagine at this time of year in NY you wouldn't have this problem.

I drove a Focus SE (auto and manual) and I thought it was a great car for the price. To me it just seems like a brake issue that Ford should happily repair under warranty.

Are there any other issues or things you don't like about the car? It seems extreme to want to get rid of it; I think you'd take a huge loss.
  • mani_omani_o Member Posts: 6
  • I have never heard of anyone having problems like this. Take it to dealer service, have the mechanic pull all four wheels and look at the brakes with him. Then have the mechanic take a ride with you so he can also experience your wind issues.
  • mani_omani_o Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2013
    I'm buying a mid-sized sedan this fall and am playing it pretty safe- It's between Camry and Accord- but I'm still not sure which one I'll get.

Here's my list so far of why I should buy each of them, it might help anyone else looking between these two also.

Accord EX (Not standard with Camry): $23,600 TrueCar.com Price as of today
    Turn signal indicator mirrors
    Automatic temperature control
    Power moonroof
    Telescoping steering wheel
    Fully automatic headlights
    Rear camera
    IIHS Top Safety Pick Plus award
    Eight-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with power lumbar support
    Nicer Rims
    econ button
    Passive keyless entry and push-button start
    Camera mounted in passenger side-view mirror
    Looks better
    Better gas millage
    Sporty drive
    8in LCD display
    Better horse power

Camry SE (Not standard on Accord): $20,800 TrueCar.com Price as of today
    Reliable (Seems less issues with the Camry than Accord in general)
    2 yr free maintenance
    Quiet and Comfortable ride
    not first year remodel
    Leatherette with cloth inserts seats standard
    Leather Wheel
    Lower cost (buying and ownership)
    No CVT or direct injection engine (could give me trouble down the road)

Most important to me:

1. Reliability- Camry
    2. Int. look and feel.- Camry
    3. Ext. Look- Accord
    4. Stereo- Camry
    5. How it drives- Accord
    6. Cost- Camry
    7. Gas mileage- Accord
    8. Gadgets- Accord
    9. Safety- Accord
    10. Cost of ownership- Camry

It all comes down to what is the most important and what is a deal breaker I guess.

Anyone else with a list of things you like and don't like please share!
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    I never once said, or implied, it was a deal breaker. My point was only to have someone consider that sometimes others live where it is so cold, that unless they lived it, they might not otherwise be able to relate to the virtues of a heated steering wheel option.

Furthermore, there are people that suffer from Raynaud's disease. It is more common than you might think. Since you don't have it, consider yourself fortunate.
  • LOL. Well, when you live that far north, the only vehicles at stoplight's are front end loaders and Ice road truckers.

Why a diesel Smart convertible in Canada? It sounds like the least likely car to see in the great white north!
    I see you edited your post since I first read it. I was going to question your findings with your Matrix, saying that the front windows down cause the wuh-whumping sound and to try lowering the rear windows instead. This is exactly opposite of what I found on my 2003 Matrix. (no roof rack or rear spoiler). When the rear windows (only) were lowered from about 1.5" and more, the farther they were opened to half way the worse the air pressure whumping was. A friend who is quite deaf, panicked one day (with pain) when we were going somewhere and I was telling him how bad the whumping noise was. We were doing only about 50 or 55 mph, and I lowered just one of the rears to show him and he grabbed his ears in pain. I quickly raised it of course. He couldn't believe it. Me too, FTM. It does seem to be an anomaly more common in recent decades with the greater aerodynamics that cars have now. That said, the first time I noticed this type of whumping sound was in the back seat of a new Mercedes 300 diesel back in about 1981 or so. The combo with the diesel or exhaust drone was actually almost painful to endure for more than a minute. My brother was skeptical what I was talking about until we swapped places and he witnessed it for himself.

Fast forward many years and I find even small SUV type body shapes, like Nissan X Trail, Rogue, Honda CRV etc...they all seem to do it but to a lesser degree than a sedan.
    I had a 71 144S too. I think it was a 71...starting to forget details like that now on some of my many past vehicles.
    I agree, it was great in the snow. A very balanced car with its weight distribution. I think the very cantilevered trunk aft of the rear axle helped offset the heavy cast iron block of the (only) 4 cylinder up front. That car had great seats and a wonderful heater/defroster too. It was certainly no ball of fire, but did sound wonderful wound out in third gear. It only sounded like you were going fast though..
    But not one of my life-time favourites as a car goes generally..
    I feel badly for you to have discovered this wuh-whumping sound in your new car. It is the type of thing that is easy to not discover during a (sometimes too short) test drive. As others have noted, it is a far too common anomaly among many vehicles in the last decade plus.

Among the many suggestions of trying different windows and measurements raised lowered and combos, try also different speeds in case you can find a sweet spot only a few mph away from your usual. Also try to put your HVAC system into the equation, by experimenting with the recirculate door closed or in fresh air mode. Probably you are finding this annoying sound with it in fresh air mode, but if you can get some relief with the recirculate door closed, it might help for awhile. The idea is that along with the windows and the flow-through rear vents that vent air outside of the car regardless of obvious openings, the HVAC system is instrumental in what controls and affects the interior air pressure once under way. The flow through vents I mentioned, you may not be aware of, but all cars have them since about the 80's. They are often in obscure locations that can vary from inside the rear door jams, to under the trunk floor in some cars (Altima for example).

Good luck...hope you can find a sweet spot with the suggestions which can allow you to drive with your window open a bit for fresh air but not torment the rest of your driving experience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2013
    You have done your homework I see.

Car and Driver said this about the 2012 Camry SE: "Interior surfaces that are close to unacceptable. No steering feel, no braking feel". They said this about the exterior: "Your big chance to become invisible". The Camry placed 5th out of 6 competitors, and the 2012 Accord (the older model) beat it and came in 2nd. (May 2012 mid size sedan comparo)

They said very much better things about the Accord in this months issue. They said it drives great, they liked it inside and out, and the Accord has a lot more features. On the road I notice the new Accords. Very classy car. The Camry looks flimsy in comparison. All the lower panels/ground effects/rockers look very cheap. In particular the fake plasti-chrome around the fog lights looks dreadful.

Given the two choices I would say Accord. The ONLY reservation I have is the Accords CVT. I prefer a 6 speed automatic. You can get a 6 speed stick or a 6 speed automatic with the Accord V6. Just the fact that Honda doesn't offer the CVT with the V6 tells me something about the CVT's performance, and possibly that the CVT wont handle the V6 power reliably.

Good luck! Go drive a 2014 Mazda 6 Sport before you decide!
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    We drove both along with Altima and bought the Accord. Neither of us liked driving the Camry. It felt like a big boat. Interior also pretty plain. We crossed it off very quickly. That said, we are probably a minority because tons of people buy them and love them.
    We love the Accord CVT. much smoother than Altima's. it feels no different than a regular automatic, but is quieter and works with the 4 cyl to give way more power than I remember 4 cyls of the past. Love the stereo and audio interface is wonderful. I have taken two long trips with it and the seats are very comfortable and steering and suspension are terrific. I feel a better sense of the road than with the Camry. Love the backup and right turn cameras.
    It really comes down to the driving style and features that matter to you.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • I just saw an article on the internet about a New Brunswick lady who bought a Smart for 2 (2005) used for $5000. 30 days later it died, and due to the design of the car, the engine could not be repaired, but only replaced....for $14,000!

Not so Smart it if you have a problem it seems. I hope their newer designs, and the one that you own, fares better. Also, I found it funny that a ladies car trouble was in the news!!! I guess for folks that live ABOVE Maine, it's too cold for thieves and murderers! (jeez, I wanna kill this guy, but first I have to shovel 4 feet of snow, after which I am too tired and I've come to my senses)!
    I've only owned 3 Hondas...all 4 cyl, and only the current one is an automatic, but I've always heard that Honda's with a V6 "eat" trannies.

There have been well publicized problems initially with the Odyssey and TL, and anecdotal evidence with other vehicles. I'm not certain if these instances were caused by abuse/towing etc.

I'm not certain if the newer trannies have issues, but I'd stay away from a V6 with a CVT even if it was an option.

Of course, I could be wrong ;)
    wow...expensive engine :) You could buy a "newer" corvette engine for half that (not sure it would fit :shades: )

seems odd that you could take it out to replace it but not take it out to repair it...

Odd little things...
    edited June 2013
    I might as well print the recall. There were over a MILLION potential transmissions with a second gear failure caused by overheating and the gear teeth chipping or broken. Big time, well known recall on Accord, TL, Odyssey, and almost every vehicle with the 3.5 liter V6, 5 speed auto powertrain combo.

Here it is! Recall Date:
    APR 15, 2004
    Model Affected:
    2004 Honda Accord (it says Honda Accord but that is because I used it as search parameter. If you search for a 2004 TL, the same recall is displayed).
    Summary:
    ON SOME MINI VANS, SPORT UTILITY AND PASSENGER VEHICLES, CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS CAN RESULT IN HEAT BUILD-UP BETWEEN THE COUNTERSHAFT AND SECONDARY SHAFT SECOND GEARS IN THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, EVENTUALLY LEADING TO GEAR TOOTH CHIPPING OR GEAR BREAKAGE.
    Consequences:
    GEAR FAILURE COULD RESULT IN TRANSMISSION LOCKUP, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    ON VEHICLES WITH 15,000 MILES OR LESS, THE DEALER WILL UPDATE THE TRANSMISSION WITH A SIMPLE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE TO INCREASE LUBRICATION TO THE SECOND GEAR. ON VEHICLES WITH MORE THAN 15,000 MILES, THE DEALER WILL INSPECT THE TRANSMISSION TO IDENTIFY GEARS THAT HAVE ALREADY EXPERIENCED DISCOLORATION DUE TO OVERHEATING. IF DISCOLORATION EXISTS, THE TRANSMISSION WILL BE REPLACED IF DISCOLORATION IS NOT PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL PERFORM THE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 21, 2004, FOR PILOT, ODYSSEY, AND MDX OWNERS. OWNERS OF THE ACCORD VEHICLES WILL START RECEIVING LETTERS ON JUNE 28, 2004, AND ON JUNE 29, 2004, FOR OWNERS OF THE TL AND CL VEHICLES. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.
    Potential Units Affected:
    Notes:
    HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2004/honda/accord/recalls/#ixzz2VHoa079R

It is important to know if this repair has been done BEFORE you consider buying a used one. If it doesn't shift right, don't buy it.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    It's very simple to find out if a recall has been issued and if a repair has been done. Just call a dealer and give the. The VIN number and they can tell you if that vehicle was affected (generally, not all of them are). We had that issue when buying a used Vibe and found out ours was not one of the affected cars. There is a very large recall going on now for certain GM models. This time our Vibe is one of them -- it's 9 years old, has 100,000 miles on it and has never shown any signs of a problem. Recalls don't always mean a car is a poor choice -- sometimes it means the manufacturer is being extra cautious because of a certain number of problems.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Sorry the deal breaker comment was directed to the OP not you, the original message said that no heated steering wheel was a deal breaker.
    Also if I was a little snippy last night sorry, but I for some reason felt I was being attacked, I am sure today that wasn't your intention.
    I am also sure that for some people it is a more desired feature than others.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    I've got a 2013 Fusion and have experienced the same thing.
    Try experimenting with lowering various windows.
    I have a sunroof and usually drive with it cracked open and the right rear window down.
    The air gets sucked in the back window and swirls around to the left side and forward, then out the roof.
    It provides a nice breeze.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Mine is a 2005, the lady in nova scotia as I recall drove the car with the oil light on. Even so the engines car be rebuilt ( for a much lower cost), the problem is the Mercedes dealers don't really want to be bothered actually repairing anything, they just throw new parts at it, so instead of fixing the engine they wanted her to buy one for $14,000. When they were still under warranty ( and even now if you are foolish enough to fall for it), they would replace the turbo instead of the $5 gasket that was the actual cause of an oil leak at the turbo.
    The cars aren't bad at all once you are used to them ( and get it repaired by a non dealer or dyi).

As for why a convertible, it the spring summer and fall it is plenty hot enough to have the top down ( as a matter of fact here around Toronto it gets hot enough that you can't have the top down need to have the A/C on instead). So far this year I have had the top down about 20 times driving home from work ( since March).
  • Sorry, I actually thought that gimmeestdtranny was the one with the Smart, and he lives in Nova Scotia....I had mid size sedan overload!
    No problem it can get confusing sometimes, I think he said he lived in Northern Ontario though ( unless I am confused too?)
  • I just read a few articles about the Dart, which is actually a Fiat Giulia underneath. How does Chrysler keep getting things wrong?

1) They keep merging with European companies and then peddling whatever comes out of the merger, instead of designing their own. For those of us that remember Fiat, selling a Dodge and Fiat mix doesn't exactly inspire any reliability confidence with potential buyers

2) It is a great looking car, quite handsome and aggressive looking. It should be a hit, but Dodge decided to use a big flower in the instrument panel. Why????

3) there are 3 engine choices, none of which have 200hp. Sporty car buyers want 200hp!!!

So, Dodge... offer a 100k warranty, nix the flower, and add 25 hp!!! Easy to fix!
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    edited June 2013
    So, Dodge... offer a 100k warranty, nix the flower, and add 25 hp!!! Easy to fix!

A 100k warranty and a different name would go a very long way.....most of the target market has no knowledge of the original Dart, so there's no equity or value in the name. It just sounds dumb without the background info....

Resurrecting names from historical models is rarely a wise idea, in my opinion. The Dodge Dart (and Plymouth Valiant) weren't all that great, they just didn't suck as much as their domestic competitors at the time. The Slant-Six engine used in most Darts and Valiants is responsible for most fond memories of the old compacts...

And resurrecting names from models that sucked in recent history is the kiss of death! (See 2010-present Ford Taurus for more info). Why not change the Focus to Pinto and Fusion to Granada while they're at it?
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • Lol.Calling the Focus a Pinto!!! Lmao. Toyota blew it the other way around though, by introducing their new two door, rear drive FR-S sports car as a Scion, instead of a Toyota Celica. Scion already has the TC! Almost everyone remembers the Celica, and an all wheel drive turbo model could have been called the GT-S.
  • puppybone69puppybone69 Member Posts: 24
    The new Fusion is more like the Maverick than the Granada, my first car was a Granada, and it was a total POS that gave new meaning to "Fix Or Repair Daily"! My new Fusion is nothing like that, it's more like a mini Mustang, just like the Maverick was way back when!
    edited June 2013
    Well, I got stuck driving my moms Reliant K Wagon (1983 model). It had "Rich Corinthian Vinyl" in burgundy of course. It had a 2.2 liter 4 banger (and boy did it have NVH), a 3 speed slushbox, but to it's credit it didn't break down, the A/C worked, and the vinyl was so thick that it never tore or wore down. Actually, I bet the material would last 1000 years in a landfill....which of course is bad. Lol.
    edited June 2013
    I can't believe this. I am not a Batman fan, so I guess this Optima was used in one of the movies.

http://www.edmunds.com/photoflipper/?year=2013&make=Kia&model=Optima

Check out pictures starting at 29 and 30.

I know pretty much everything about every 2011- and up Optima made, but I was unaware about an Edmunds.com "Batman" trim package. I would of course like more information on this model. Is it bulletproof? Does it have an afterburner? Do I get a suit with it? The utility belt with the grappling hook would be nice!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    edited June 2013
    For those of you looking, it starts at about pic #45.
    And it's not OUR "Batman" trim package. If it were, I'd be asking for a ride in it, or at least a pic next to it, for sure.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Point taken Kristie, but I have never seen these pictures on another official automobile publication!
    The pictures are on exactly these pages:
    29, 30, 34, 45, 49, 50 and 51. I looked through all 167 so my information would be accurate. :P

There is a bat-wing embroidered in the seat back on 29, and then a grill shot on page 30, etc.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited June 2013
    Mani:

I'm a long time Accord owner, and I recommend that car. I've owned a 2002 LX, a 2008 EXL navi, and now a 2013 EXL navi. Wow I love the new car. Just great. CVT is excellent imho, and so I wouldn't have worries there.

The Accord got much higher safety ratings in the small offset collision test than the Camry, which did not pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByPAhoeU6UQ

Check out at the 2 minute mark, when the Head of the Insurance Institute of America says: "Both of these Toyotas earned poor crash ratings. Toyota engineers have a lot of work to do to catch up with their competitors."
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    Kia teamed up with DC Comics and made "super hero" versions of Optima and they tour around to bring attention to a charity that DC is involved with involving hunger in Africa. I went to the car show in Atlanta a few months back and the Batman and Superman Optimas were on display in the Kia exhibit.
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    I bought a new Altima 2 weeks ago. I thought I was going to buy a new Accord LX; but, the dealer didn't want to deal. Not only did they "offer" me full sticker, they wanted me to pay the dealer fee twice. I really liked the Accord, though. I'm sure Honda will do well with it.

My final shopping was the Fusion SE, Camry SE and the Altima SV. In the end, I didn't like the Fusion enough--the Focus-like back end was the real deal breaker for me. The Camry wasn't bad. We have a 2012 Sienna and I like the service department at my dealer. At the end of the day, though, I wasn't excited about buying a Camry, so I moved on.

I went to the Nissan dealer with the intention of looking at an Altima 2.5S. The dealer was offering a Memorial Day deal of about $18k for the 2.5S. I really wanted the automatic climate control, alloy wheels and back up camera that the Accord LX has, though. I had to move over to the Altima 2.5SV. The SV has the features of the Accord--plus, it has satellite radio and Intelligent Key with remote start. The fit and finish of the new Altima is similar to the Maxima and the feel on the road is very solid. So far I am very happy with my purchase. I see why there are many new Altimas on the road.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Hard to believe a Honda dealer won't go below sticker. I got more than $2,000 off on a rare (back in January - because of late availability) Manual EX model. I think you can get closer to $3k off now on an automatic, probably more on the top models.
    edited June 2013
    WOW man! I am so glad I don't own either one, and not just for safety reasons.

My car passed, and here is the video if anyone out there is considering a 2012 Optima.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0I9WIAUktA

Oh, and congrats on the new Altima, and thanks for clearing up the Batman DC comics Optima!

Have a good weekend all!
    On the way home from work, I ended up first car in line at a few stop lights.
    Since I've never had a FWD car with traction control, I decided to see how my 2013 Fusion works.
    Gave it enough of a goose to spin the tires in other vehicles I've owned, but after what seemed like a few inches of tire rotation, it just walked away from the rest of the cars.
    No spin, no torque steer, no drama. Nice.
  • Don't they all have that now?
    I'm sure everything has it now. I've just haven't had FWD with traction control before.
    edited June 2013
    Lots of rain here too. Traction control is mostly an ABS heavy system that also cancels throttle inputs by electronically shutting off the fuel at the injectors. When it engages a yellow icon of wavy lines flashes on the IP. It can make your car lurch and jerk a bit.

When mine activates is mostly off the line while making a right on red in wet conditions. Or, it will activate when there is tarmac damage/potholes that cause the wheel to momentarily break contact with the surface during heavy throttle conditions . Mine can be shut off, which is fun off the line sometimes like you said.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    My only complaint with my 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT is the overly aggressive Traction Control! My CX-9 is FWD and it is VERY easy to spin the front tires, especially on wet surfaces. The 273hp 3.7L V6, gearing of the 6-speed automatic and All Season 'Performance' tires make it very easy to cause the front tires to lose traction.

When this happens, I instinctively take my foot off of the gas pedal. The Traction Control system also kicks in and cuts the throttle. If you're pulling onto a highway and this happen, you become a 'sitting duck' for a few seconds until the Traction Control 'releases' the throttle. For those brief few seconds, if you press the gas pedal again, you will get very little power.

When I'm making a risky turn, such as turning left across a four-lane highway, I always turn it OFF. With it off, it will 'roast' the tires on dry pavement and even bark the tires during the 1-2 upshift! The massive, performance-oriented P245/50VR20 tires are also part of the problem. I plan to replace them with slightly less aggressive rubber. Other CX-9 owners have done so with good results.

If I had got the AWD model, this wouldn't be an issue. But it cost $2000 more, got 22mpg vs 24mpg on the highway and took over 0.5sec longer to hit 60mph. Also, AWD models are very hard to find here. Out of the 29 CX-9s my dealer had in stock, only 3 were AWD...
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    edited June 2013
    Like you, I got a good deal on a rare model—a deep red EXL navi. Got $2800 off list. A few people are doing even better than that.

The Accord is a "hot" car, and is flying off most dealer lots as almost fast as they can make them, but they are making a lot of them, and so most people should be able to score a deal if they shop around at different Honda dealers....

This site helped me. You put in the car you want, and then different dealers within a 100 mile radius or so compete for your deal. Great discounts are available on the new Accord:

http://carwoo.com/

If anyone lives near Nashville, this Honda dealer there is offering c. $2500-$3000 off all Accords in stock, with no negotiation needed:

http://www.cresthonda.com/index.htm
    Camry 39,216
    Accord 33,218
    Altima 31,940
    Fusion 29,553
    Sonata 20,194
    Malibu 18,899