Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    It's no secret that I'm a GM fan and I really liked the 2008-2012 Malibu. Almost bought one in 2009, probably should have in retrospect.

I had high hopes for the 2013 model but when I saw the long-lead photos I was shocked at how discordant the exterior and interior design was. Nothing seemed right. The front end looked high and blocky, the greenhouse seemed too small, and the bangle butt and Camaro taillights looked totally wrong. Inside, the tombstone-shaped center stack was just ugly, the ribbed dash applique reminded me of a 1990 Beretta, the over-use of fake woodgrain reminded me of the late 1970s, and the misshapen little hat over the Camaro-style cluster just looked ridiculous. Then came word of the overly tight rear compartment and it was game over.

That raised in my mind the question of what I would buy if I was in the market right now. Sonata is not open for consideration. Optima might get a look just for the design, but I am wary. Saw the new Mazda 6 and was unimpressed, especially with the interior. Altima may be a decent car but I am not a fan of anything made by Nissan. Fusion may be OK but it reminds me of the Sonata from 3 years ago in terms of the excess hype by the automotive press. Camry would need to be considered just due to sheer popularity. And then there's Honda.

I don't dislike Hondas, but I never particularly liked the Accord. Recently a co-worker bought a 2013 and I went with her on a long road trip. This is one nice car! Lots of room inside, great visibility, nicely designed inside and out, and the powertrain seemed more than capable. As a passenger I never noticed the CVT which is saying something. It pains me to say this, but if I was buying in this segment today, I would buy an Accord without a second thought.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Go to www.optimaforums.com, and post your question in the general forum or on the appearance forum. Guaranteed to get help there.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,299
    Honda uses active noise cancellation. The driver's side is is made to feel quiet, but the passenger side sends subliminal messages 'Buy and Accord, Buy an Accord, Buy an Accord over and over again'. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2013
    Thanks man. It's always fun to see a review of your own car. It is actually the EXACT same car as mine, except for the color. I am noticing a trend though. The Optima always finishes mid pack. It's never #1. That's what Kia is striving for , and I hope they continue to improve handling as well. A platform that looks so good (inside and out) in either version shouldn't be hobbled by poor steering calibrations and the lack of a few welds for added platform rigidity.

I found it interesting that the Fusion 1.6 EcoBoost averages 28. 49 MPG during the test (must have been done on an airport runway, or in Nebraska :D ) and the Optima 2.4 non-turbo(with 22 more HP) got 29.69, over 1 mpg better FE.
  • 'Honda uses active noise cancellation. The driver's side is is made to feel quiet, but the passenger side sends subliminal messages 'Buy and Accord, Buy an Accord, Buy an Accord over and over again'.

LMAO!
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    It's interesting to me that every test I've seen that compares the two rates the Optima significantly higher than the Sonata.

As you know, the Optima also out-scored the Sonata on the IIHS small offset test.

KIA, I think, is trying to differentiate itself from Hyundai, and seems to be succeeding.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    edited August 2013
    The Sonata interior is more style biased while the Optima is more form-follows-function.

It's funny how that actually ties into the dreaded C-pillar blind spot, which is similarly bad in the Optima. I don't have to spend any time looking for buttons or knobs or sorting through menus, which means I spend more time looking at the road. The radio looks like a radio, the HVAC is below that, (as it should be), and both have real knobs with races that would be at home in an Audi. It is no accident, as Peter Schreyer, a former chief designer for Audi and Volkswagen, has led the transformation of Kia with such products as the Optima, 2014 Forte, and Cadenza.

I honestly didn't have to look at the manual at all to set the whole car up the way I liked it, including pairing my Galaxy phone, adding my flash drive, using the dual-zone A/C and setting the clock.

I aspire to own a nice new Audi one day, but for a father of three with a mortgage, the Optima is an attractive stand in for big stacks of cash less.

If anyone would like to see my actual car, you can do so here: http://cski12894.imgur.com/all/
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Nice looking car!+++ Good color.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    edited August 2013
    The Hyundai and Kia power trains are basically identical, much like Ford and Lincoln.

This article took 17 reviews and built their ratings from them, much like Rotten Tomatoes does for films.
    In it the Hyundais scored better than the Kia and Honda:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Hyundai_Sonata-Hybrid/
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The Sonata Hybrid has a conventional six-speed automatic in lieu of the CVT-type arrangement used by most other hybrids.

There's a reason "most other hybrids" use these. :shades:

It doesn't buzz or drone, but it thunks and lurches as power-supplies (electric or electric + gas) turn on and off. A terribly unrefined solution that is a let-down on such a technology-laden car.
    The powertrains are similar (both are competitive with others in the class except the hybrid - no problem there), but the interior design and suspension and handling are tuned differently in the Optima vs. the Sonata.

The Sonata has a more flowing, feminine quality, while the Optima has a more germanic, masculine appearance inside and out.

Nobody cares about US News and World Report when it comes to car reviews. That's like MAC World ranking dishwashers.
    edited August 2013
    but in my zeal to defend this car

It's not like somebody is beating up your kid or insulting your wife.....it's just a car. Jeeesh.

Correct. If you like it - great! Don't insist that it's the best just because you bought it though. I have a Sonata. I like it! It's not the best driving, most powerful, best looking vehicle I could've bought (as a 2009 model). In fact, it's blandly styled and rather uncoordinated in handling, but it fit my needs/wants and met the budget; at the time I wanted lots of front-seat room, plenty of V6-power with good economy (249hp and 19/29 was great for the class in '09), and USB/iPod input for the audio system. I picked a good car, perhaps the best at the price point, but not the "best in segment."

There isn't one "best car" in the segment, because everyone purchasing needs a car that will suit different needs and wants.

One person may want sporty, another want the most features per dollar, another want a cushy ride and lots of room. These all equate to different "bests."

Quit cramming the Sonata down our throats please.

Sincerely,

A Sonata OWNER
    It's interesting to me that every test I've seen that compares the two rates the Optima significantly higher than the Sonata.

Most car mags tend to vote for the "Driver's Car" above the "Cushy Car."

The Optima is tuned more sporty/stiffly than the Sonata in my experience. For the same reason, Accords often beat out Camrys in those tests. If you read the articles, they'll usually identify traits like "sharper steering" or a "more controlled suspension" in the cars that place higher.
    edited August 2013
    Wow, such hyperbolic animosity.

Last time I checked this discussion was about all midsized sedans.

I'm following forum guidelines and I post more links than several other members combined.

US News is a pretty well respected source.
    Their ratings for hospitals, insurance companies, and colleges/university are respected and objective so why try to diss on their compilation of auto reviews?

Probably whining because you dislike what they said.
    They simply aggregated the data and using a formula ranked the results.
    Are you saying they didn't actually test any cars reviewed? I find that a bit strange.
    edited August 2013
    RT doesn't review movies either.
    They aggregate the reviews.
    Great reference for choosing a film/DVD.

Same principal with US News/World Reports.
    Well respected (by most rational folks) publication.
    Maybe check out the link below to help you understand what's going on.

Our new car rankings are based on a consensus of America's top automotive experts, as well as safety and reliability data. The rankings do not rely on our own tests or U.S. News editors' preferences.

We combine two types of information: published reviews from respected automotive critics and safety and reliability data from third-party sources.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/methodology/

Currently Ford Fusion Hybrid is #1, the 4 cyl. Sonata is #2, and the Sonata Hybrid is #3; Accord sits in seventh place.

"The Accord's new staple drivetrain, a direct-injection four-cylinder and continuously variable automatic transmission, provides enough oomph around town. … The Nissan Altima's CVT responds faster to accelerator nudges, but Honda's gets the job done, kicking engine revs sky-high when you need passing power."
    That's what known as motoboarding as we discussed earlier.
    That buzzy, quirky 'instant on' sensation common to all CVTs.

These rankings are periodically updated, too.

My point is that its not based on just one source.
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    edited August 2013
    OUCH!!!!!! Someone who not only knows what he is talking about but documents it THOROUGHLY!

Also, thank you for the information on the motorboarding. I didn't know what it was called. I had driven an Altima and that is exactly what I experienced in it. I wondered if Honda had taken care of that in the new accord, but according to the experts they have not. A friend of mine recently bought a 2013 4 cyl EXL (for his wife) and I asked him a few questions about it. He told me he experienced the shuttering at about 1500 rpms or so (I also experienced this in the Altima I drove) and he mentioned that he has wind noise coming in directly behind his ear on the driver's side. When I googled those two items it seems the shuttering at low rpm is a common thing as is the wind noise from the driver's door. I am so thankful I opted not to buy a first year model. But I also think I've opted to avoid the new accord. I had wind noise for 13 years in my 2000 accord and couldn't get rid of it no matter what I did. I don't think I care to repeat that. I didn't enjoy my cvt experience in the rental Altima and I think I'm going to pass on Honda's attempt with the cvt as well.
    edited August 2013
    Like C/D rating microwaves:

"We like how the radar-range transitions smoothly from low to high and then from high to defrost, always letting you know where the power is but never vibrating the chassis"...

or

"While the Carousel II leads the pack in styling, it starts and stops abruptly, the motor coarse at the limit, with significant NVH. The engineers still have work to do on it's chassis as well as fit and finish".

and

" The G.E's all white interior appointments aren't up to par with the Sharp, as if easy clean-up dictated it's entire design".

Ok, I am done now. :blush:
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Interesting how only you, not any review, mention wind noise. In fact review after review praise the New Accord's quietness. Many, many reviews also single out the smoothness of the Accord's CVT, specifically contrasting it to other CVTs currently being offered. But your mind is made up without even driving one. My Accord has no stuttering or jerking, is smooth and very quiet. It's hardly the exception. I also drove the Altima CVT and did find the noise upon acceleration annoying, but it isn't deafening. In fact, my neighbor has an earlier model Altima and loves it. I just thought the Accord had the total package. After 5 months and two road trips I'm loving it more and more.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Very nice! I almost got a red Optima (EX), it was a very close second place to my Accord, and I still deliberate again every time I see a red one. It was definitely the punchiest engine and tranny of all the automatics I test drove.
    As I posted earlier " US News is a well respected (by most rational folks) publication.

I subscribed to C & D and their bias toward Toyota-Lexus products was easy to see - for example they chided the T100 as being "7/8's of a real pickup."
    They later subtly dissed the first Tundras. I owned one of each and bought back the T100 from a friend. Solid truck after almost 20 years.

And the fact that C & D have included the Accord on their 10 best list for over 20 years in a row is nonsense as that vehicle has had some ups-and-downs. The Camry has been conspicuously absent from it due to C & D's subjective "fun to drive" factor.
    edited August 2013
    Google it and you'll find it's got lots of complaints for wind noise and stuttering at low rpm for the 2013. (I believe it was C&D or Road and Track that tested and early 2013 accord and noted the stuttering at low rpm and hoped they fix it before going to market, but I'm not concerned about reviewers so much as I am about real owners.) Go to the Honda forums and you'll see no shortage of wind noise or transmission stutter complaints, either. Perhaps you are fortunate. I didn't drive one because I didn't want a first year model, but my two primary concerns were wind noise (had it for 13 years and couldn't get rid of it) and the transmission (had 3 rebuilt transmissions in my accord in 75k miles and know of Honda's reputation for transmission problems - google Honda transmission problems and you'll see what I mean). My friend's 2010 Honda pilot has wind noise from the a pillar and the 2007 accord he traded for the 2013 had wind noise from the a pillar - it just never bothered him. Perhaps people are too picky or perhaps some are less picky, but as for me I'd rather learn from someone else's decisions than invest $25k in a car and have the same problems many of them are. I wish you the absolute best with your accord and hope you have many trouble-free miles in it, but as for me I have decided to stay away.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >Like C/D rating microwaves:

Great!

May I add some of the sharp criticisms of the brands that just don't appeal to the "sporting" abilities of the "expert" writers (in their own minds, just like the couch potatoes who are experts at every sport)...

"However the visibility of the potato baking inside the US made Exacto XL model was blocked by the extra small grids chosen for the door. As in all their older models, the company just doesn't get it like the Das Dershlager 1235 ixx, the Hiroshimo EX-L, and the Tsunamia GT-I models.

"We found the sound of the door opening and closing was not up to the standards on the Exacto XL. We can hear the latch, unlike on the 3 other models tests where the latch sound is perfect.

"Also we found the lack of cupholders on the top of the Exacto model a big deficiency whereas all the other models had a cupholder there--it was too small to be useful for larger cups, but we liked their thought. Of course the Exacto model had cupholders on the sides, but we think all new microwaves should have cupholders on top, even though few would use them for the smaller coffee cups."

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Good points but you must understand that for some, opinions and nonsensical comparisons are all they have.

Between Consumer Reports and US News, potential owners can get objective information about new cars.

All CVTs have quirky moments no matter how much auto makers try to mimic conventional transmissions.

So far, the 2013 Sonata Hybrid has done the best job of melding a 6 spd. to a gasoline-electric drive train.

When I test drove a 2013 HSH in city traffic - ice cold with 11 miles on it - I could immediately tell how much improvement Hyundai had made.

I traded for it 2 days later - got $2,900 off msrp, 60 months @ 0% interest and an $18,000 for my 2011 base Sonata Hybrid.
    In almost 4,000 miles with constant AC, we have never gotten lower than 41 mpg in mixed driving.

And with the 17 gallon tank we can drive 700 miles between fill ups
    I tend to question all published reviews as it seems many of them suffer from the "it's new and it's spectacular" syndrome. Just look at the collective swoon the automotive press did at the 2010 Sonata. They all heralded it as unlike anything else on the road, a new benchmark, destined to blow the competition out of the water, etc. They all pretty much failed at describing the poor quality interior trim, the structural problems with the platform, the nervous ride, the twitchy, numb steering, the overstated HP ratings, the overall lack of quality, and the plethora of issues that have emerged since the hype machine got turned off. The number of people who got taken in and bought first-year Sonatas only to be extremely disappointed was evidenced by the large number to be found on used lots still within the 2010 model year as early buyers ditched them in droves. While Honda isn't as bad as Hyundai in that respect, they do tend to get good treatment in the press for the most part, unlike some other manufacturers, so it's possible some early issues might be given a pass.

edited August 2013
    I assume you meant overstated MPG ratings.
    Hyundai voluntarily compensated owners of some models - I got almost $175 before I traded our 2011 hybrid - and the new hybrids are getting stellar mileage. Just browse Fuely for proof.

The Sonata hybrid is also a true second generation hybrid with increasing sales each month:

http://www.hybridcars.com/july-2013-dashboard/
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I read reviews but I'm not going to comment on a car I haven't driven. I do pay attention to reliability ratings. I won't say anything about the Optima because I know nothing about them. I did drive a rental Sonata a few weeks ago and found it pleasant but it wasn't the new one so didn't have features like backup camera or push start. I have found that reviews are helpful as a start, but driving a car yourself is often quite a different story. I thought I would wind up with an Altima and was quite surprised by the Accord. I find others' posts here very interesting whether I agree with them or not, as long as they have actual experience with the cars they are talking about.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I subscribed to C & D and their bias toward Toyota-Lexus products was easy to see - for example they chided the T100 as being "7/8's of a real pickup."

At 209" long and with only a 3.4L V6, it WAS 7/8 of the big boys which it claimed to compete with, but that's not the point. US News is well-respected as far as old-school media is concerned (these mags are a dying breed, see Newsweek), but not necessarily in the automotive world. It's not their focus, but you don't care because it makes your point. You seem awfully defensive of a cars you didn't engineer yourself. It's ok to disagree. :)

And the fact that C & D have included the Accord on their 10 best list for over 20 years in a row is nonsense as that vehicle has had some ups-and-downs.

It hasn't. I owned a 1996 Accord that was not on the 10Best list.

The Camry has been conspicuously absent from it due to C & D's subjective "fun to drive" factor.

Well, the magazine is called Car and Driver, not Auto Passengers Monthly. It's for driving enthusiasts. They explain in detail why they choose the cars they do. If you care to read the articles, you'll know that. If you have different judgment criteria, you'll have different outcomes in your own personal comparisons. It's pretty simple.
  • gee22gee22 Member Posts: 82
    When doing my research for the 2014 Mazda6, I came across a review from some local paper in CA. He praised the technology to no end but said that no one will bother to test drive the car because of its "blah" styling. Now, you may not find it attractive, but you can't call it "blah". The reviewer obviously never saw the car and probably googled 2013 Mazda6.

btw, I would never think of microwaving my popcorn in anything but a Tsunamia GT-I.
    My point is that its not based on just one source.

But you don't care about anybody else's point but your own in this conversation. If we post links, you're dismissive stating how they are wrong, when in fact they are all opinions. They're like noses, everybody has one.

That buzzy, quirky 'instant on' sensation common to all CVTs.

If you've spent time in a Honda with an I-4, you can't honestly say that compared to others in the class it is "buzzy." It is quite smooth.

And, since when is "instant acceleration/response" a bad thing? If I prod the pedal, I don't want the car waiting around to make up it's mind. I want it to GO.

But, US News and World Report doesn't, and that must mean that quick response to throttle is bad, Sonata Hybrid is good, and kyrpto is right. :shades:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

Well... that's because it WAS 7/8s of a real pickup. :D

Every car mag has a bias. EVERY one. For C/D, the bias is towards sharp handling. They are very clear and open about their bias. When a car fits into their sweet spot, even a Toyota like the Scion FR-S or the new Lexus IS, they'll sing its praises. So I don't see a bias towards Toyota and Lexus just because they're Toyota and Lexus... the bias is because of the kinds of cars they make.

FWIW, here's some Toyotas and Lexii that C/D has named to their 10Best list over the years (many of these were multi-time winners):

Toyota Supra
    Toyota MR2
    Lexus LS
    Toyota Previa
    Toyota Camry (3-time winner!)
    Lexus SC
    Lexus GS
    Toyota Highlander
    Toyota Prius
    Toyota Sienna
    Toyota RAV4
    Scion FR-S
    Where are they?
    Not dismissing anything.
    I lived with a CVT for years, one of my friends owns a new Prius and I had one for a loaner for several days. Not demonizing them but why are many auto makers currently touting improved CVTs that mimic a conventional tranny?

However, others sure seem to want to discredit US News.
    I certainly put more stock in what their publication than subjective comments by some on here
    edited August 2013
    Why do we have to have a link? This is a forum for car guys discussing midsize cars, not a book report. If you need a link to have an opinion (or insist on one from me to back up mine) then please skip my posts, we have nothing to discuss, you and me. I'll move on from now on as well.

Not demonizing them but why are many auto makers currently touting improved CVTs that mimic a conventional tranny?

Because the american public as a whole doesn't understand how CVTs work, and complain that it doesn't feel "normal" with shift points like a typical automatic.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    The biases in car mag and others' reviews are usually based on what _they_ like. As for the C&D, R&T type reviews, I rarely drive a car at 95% of its abilities... grin. So their likes are meaningless.

However, the historical dislikes that many such writers and "evaluators," like Newsweek, use are irritatingly misleading. I can cite the Accord's noise on the road and its sensitivity to every little crack. Now the driviing that _I_ want to feel: others may like that. When I said in 2003 after driving an Accord and finding several things that didn't work for me, I was told the road noise was not there. Now this year, _2014_, Accord and the supporters have announced that the excessive road noise is gone. Huh? I thought they said there wasn't any excessive road noise all these years.

I was considering driving an Accord, but the CVT problem for the 4-cylinder I would want keeps me away. Can't trust the reporting on transmission problems from Honda because that too is glossed over by the media et al. And the AC problems in certain models that go on and on without redesign.

A neighbor finally quit buy Acuras and bought a 2013 Accord, but it's a V6.

That's the kind of bias that is strange. I notice there are no posts for the Malibu, a midsize car, here in the reviews. A diferent kind of buyer. A different kind of driver?

I'm reading here because I'm in the market for a midsize or small size car. I like reading what others thing about their cars, or their rental cars, or their friends cars where they have experience in them.

But everyone has their own thinking.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

and discontinued my subscription years ago when I realized Consumer Reports was way better and virtually unbiased publication. Their online information is as good as the print version but most dedicated car mags aren't as comprehensive.

Perhaps Honda can solve their nagging issues with the CVT quickly as I see the V6 buyers only make up less than a quarter of Accord sales.

If they are smart Honda Corp will shed the V6s sooner rather than later as Hyundai and now Ford have done with their mid sized offerings.
    Unfortunately the non-hybrid 4 cylinders Ford offers are rather anemic and do not get that great mpg, especially when compared to the top Asian sedans like the Camry and Sonata.

My wife's carpool includes a new Fusion hybrid and she thinks it almost as nice as her Sonata Hybrid. Its a base version, no back up camera, NAV, etc. which quickly drive the cost into the mid to high $30Ks. I'm thinking Honda will follow suit and price their upcoming 'loaded' accord Hybrid similarly high and I'm sure they will drop their problematic CVT in it to keep build costs down.

Hyundai wisely spent big bucks to design their hybrid from scratch and a fully loaded Sonata Hybrid Limited tops out at $32,000 but sale price is usually thousands less.
    Almost three-thousand less in my case.
    a fully loaded Sonata Hybrid Limited tops out at $32,000 but sale price is usually thousands less.
    Almost three-thousand less in my case.

Apparently then the market doesn't support the pricing Hyundai asks for their Hybrid Sonata, so they have to reduce the price to make the sale. It's a very competitive market. Trust me, they aren't discounting out of the goodness of their hearts.
    Sorry but your opinion is again incorrect.
    Instead of periodically offering discounts, Hyundai seems to use msrp as a marketing tool because in nearly three years of following their products it seems to be understood that buyers always get discounts.

I'm friends with a veteran sales manager at a Hyundai dealership in NOVA - sorry Northern Virginia - that sells 300 units a month.
    Do you a better source?
    I don't think so as you seem to detest the Korean sedans without really knowing squat about them.

Perhaps you should read carefully the ‘Prices Paid and Buying Experience’ discussion on the Sonata which goes back several years.

And they routinely offer 0% on the hybrid version, something Toyota almost never does.
    Honda will most assuredly follow the midsized sedan leader Camry in trying to max out profits by doing the same whenever their hybrid hit’s the lots.

Toyota now build its hybrids in the states while the second generation Korean hybrids are built only in Korea.

I understand with the recent surge in sales of the basically identical -drive train wise - hybrids, Hyundai-Kia will soon begin production of them here.
    Interesting how only you, not any review, mention wind noise. In fact review after review praise the New Accord's quietness. Many, many reviews also single out the smoothness of the Accord's CVT, specifically contrasting it to other CVTs currently being offered. But your mind is made up without even driving one.

I went to lunch today with my friend who has the 2013 accord. We drove by the Honda dealer (about 30 min from my house and I rarely go by there) and I remembered I did in fact drive one. Same color as my friend's, but I think it was an EX, not an EX-L. I only drove it a few miles and just returned to the dealership. I now remembered the stuttering when taking off and by 50 mph or so I could hear the wind noise. I guess I had enough by then as the wind noise and the transmission were the two things that were most important to me as I'd had those problems with my 2000 accord. I guess I had just written it off and even forgotten about driving it. Not sure why I even test drove a first year model - must have been a boring day or something. I drove my friend's 2013 accord to the DQ after lunch - about 10 miles. I noticed the stuttering and asked him about it. He told me they'd taken it to the dealership and was told it was a normal characteristic of the cvt and that it even states that in the owners' manual. I didn't notice the wind noise because there was a lot of road construction and we didn't get up to speed.
    edited August 2013
    I'm friends with a veteran sales manager at a Hyundai dealership in NOVA - sorry Northern Virginia - that sells 300 units a month.

By offering deep discounts, as you've said. Money talks to car buyers.

Perhaps you should read carefully the ‘Prices Paid and Buying Experience’ discussion on the Sonata which goes back several years.

In spite of the fact that you continue talking down to me, I'll be glad to inform you that the "Sonata Prices Paid Forum" is on my watch list, and has been for years.

I don't think so as you seem to detest the Korean sedans without really knowing squat about them.

Again with the assumptions. I'm convinced you don't read the posts before replying; I own and enjoy a KOREAN sedan built right here in my home state of Alabama. My 2009 Sonata GLS V6 has about 109k miles on it now. But, why let facts get in the way of a good story, right?
    edited August 2013
    I'll be glad to inform you that the "Sonata Prices Paid Forum" is on my watch list, and has been for years.

So you should know the 'under msrp' purchases go back over 10 years so why post this misinformation?

Apparently then the market doesn't support the pricing Hyundai asks for their Hybrid Sonata, so they have to reduce the price to make the sale.

If it began recently - it didn't - you might be able to make a case for the above.

You sure don't come across as a loyal Hyundai owner.
    edited August 2013
    And they routinely offer 0% on the hybrid version, something Toyota almost never does.
    Honda will most assuredly follow the midsized sedan leader Camry in trying to max out profits by doing the same whenever their hybrid hit’s the lots.

Don't be ridiculous. 0% financing is just a promotional tool, designed to generate potential buyer interest, and move the metal. It is no different than a rebate or other cash-back offer. Any manufacturer only does that when they are trying to meet sales targets and reduce inventory.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You sure don't come across as a loyal Hyundai owner.

I'm quite sure he never said he was a loyal Hyundai owner. Liking one's current vehicle and being "loyal" to the brand are two entirely different matters. In fact, very few longer-term members in this discussion could be described as "loyal" to a particular manufacturer, preferring instead to peruse the offerings available near the time of purchase... or just keep abreast of them in case something strikes their fancy.

This isn't a competition about who can come up with the most "evidence" supporting their vehicle's superiority. The fact is that there are a number of good vehicles in this segment right now, and a lot of it comes down to preferences - there's no one vehicle that has it all, and is going to be the right fit for every person. Let's stop trying to make this a battle to the death.

Members who've been around long enough know why this discussion has a "2.0" tacked onto the end, and we don't want it to go that way again.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    They need promotional tools when sales are not as expected.

I wonder why the sales are not as expected - maybe because the vehicle is wildly successful and outperforms all other hybrids hands down. ;) Or maybe it is something else. :surprise:
    Just testing my memory. You drove that Accord while you were in college. It was gray with manual trans? You did not go to college in Alabama?
  • coppersmithcoppersmith Member Posts: 3
    I'm new to the forum but have been reading user and website reviews of midsize sedans for several months now in anticipation of purchasing within the next month or two. The problem with reviews is that you see so many, sometimes conflicting opinions that it's hard to know what to really believe. My last purchase was a 2009 Hyndai Sonata which has been a very reliable, smooth-riding car that has required no maintenance at all to date, but I hate the numb steering which leaves me less than confident while driving it.

So I'm looking for good steering feedback, good ride quality and reliability. Fuel efficiency is secondary as I don't drive that many miles per year. Which of the above 3 models would be the best choice?
    You need to drive them all and decide for yourself.
    Personally, I like heavy steering, which you can't find anymore in new cars, although there are a few that have adjustable steering effort.
    I'm guessing your meant no repairs instead of no maintenance?
  • coppersmithcoppersmith Member Posts: 3
    Yep, no repairs only fuel and oil changes.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Fusion and Mazda6 are known for their steering and handling. The Malibu - not so much.
    I have read that the 2013 Malibu has good steering feel. Maybe you are thinking of the earlier model?

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    It might be different but there isn't much precedence for that with Fwd GM sedans.