Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The same would be true of garage door openers/homelink systems too, and you don't hear of that happening either.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The Accord used to be stolen more than most other cars. I wonder how many 7th gen Accords (with the immobilizer system) have been stolen? If any.
    Last I heard, the Escalade is now at the top of the Most Stolen list.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    It's already been done. I heard on the news, your car could be gone in 60 seconds, by a thief with a laptop and radio receiver.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    not that this is related to midsize cars really, but still an interesting article on how anti-theft systems in cars can be overcome... and how insurance companies sometimes won't believe that these systems are defeatable and then won't pay for your stolen car!!!
    link Pinch My Ride!
  • oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    Don't know about that. This thihg was one of my favorite cars of all time. I equipped it with a 4 tube header, Pacesetter low restriction exhaust, removed all the emission controlls, retuned the Weber duece, and fitted it with a high performace clutch. The little Ford 1.6 would scream.

Regards:
    OldCEM :)
  • oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    I agree with you - except for Chrysler. They seem to be trailing the pack on quality control again.

Regards:
    OldCEM
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Last I heard, the Escalade is now at the top of the Most Stolen list.

Those lists can be misleading. Accords and Camrys are always near the top because there are so many of them out there.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    This article tells us more about the system and what it is capable in the future. It expands on where it can and cannot compete with OnStar, navigation systems, and sattelite radio.
    Mule pics of a new '09 grille and the hybrid mule.

You might recall the renderings?

Ford had them taken down where they could because they are, according to some Ford sources on other forums, "spot on" renderings of the '09 production model. Doesn't confirm anything yet but very interesting to say the least.

Note that the covered grille in the mule pics closely mirrors that of the rendering's grille.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I bought the Mazda6 over the Fusion partly for it's better (to me) looks. After seeing some supposed pictures the new Mazda6 recently and now this future Fusion, I think I'd be leaning toward the Fusion over the 6 in the future.
  • chrisfordchrisford Member Posts: 55
    If these pics are correct, the Fusion is the best looking mid-size sedan this side of the Mondeo.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    I think if those pics are correct then Ford has taken the 3 bar grill theme a little bit too far. The current Fusion's 3 bar grill is perfect and best looking among all other Ford production. So the original is the best, what a surprise...
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    I think if those pics are correct then Ford has taken the 3 bar grill theme a little bit too far. The current Fusion's 3 bar grill is perfect and best looking among all other Ford production. So the original is the best, what a surprise...

Couldn't agree more. Well said.
    Well as an anti-chromite, I find the new grill less offensive. Maybe because it doesn't have the extra 2 bars of chome lower down??? Or maybe I am overlooking the chrome because the headlights and tailights are less offensive (to me) in the rendering of the '09 vs. the current version.

Also this may move the fusion ahead of the Mazda6 for me because, if the images of the mazda6 are accurate, it looks they are going to the (hated by me) chrome around the side windows, while ford just has the less offensive line of chrome at the base of the windows.

Anyway, I'd prefer it with the optional "black chrome" grill that I assume will continue to be available on the next version...but I'd want them to make that version of the grill a stand alone option or let me buy it as a part and switch it.

Glad I got my Mazda6 with chrome-free exterior (aside from the Mazda symbol) and woodless interior while that is still an option.
    Glad I got my Mazda6 with chrome-free exterior (aside from the Mazda symbol) and woodless interior while that is still an option.

The wife and I both dislike plood (plastic wood) and really like the piano black option in our 2007 AWD SEL Fusion. Real wood might be OK, but the plastic variety is just plain tacky.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    The wife and I both dislike plood (plastic wood) and really like the piano black option in our 2007 AWD SEL Fusion. Real wood might be OK, but the plastic variety is just plain tacky.

My folks had an 80s K-car wagon with the contact paper fake wood paneling on the sides. That, and the "woody" Caravan that followed, ruined wood in the eyes of my generation.
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88

Couldn't agree with you more. I almost didn't buy my Hyundai because of the plood interior. But then I found they had another interior choice. While shopping, I saw an Acura TL (1999-2003 model). It too had plood trim. However, there were kits that you could buy to cover the plood with a brushed metal look or other looks. I think there were also kits that you could buy to add more plood to the interior. I guess there are still many who associate "wood" with quality.
    Ok, I don't get it. Makes no difference if it looks like wood, brushed metal, a piano, or whatever. IT'S STILL ALL PLASTIC! At least the wood look requires some pattern to the design. As long as it doesn't peel off, it's all a matter of taste, one style is not cheaper than the other. :confuse:
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Unless you get an Audi, where they actually do use some real metal/aluminum interior trim pieces and parts.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • 604doc604doc Member Posts: 182
    My only complaint is that seems to take quite a while for a voice command to do its thing compared to just pushing a button. That will probably improve with upgrades eventually though. Love those gadgets!
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    True, but then you get to pay Audi prices.
    I agree it is a matter of taste. For me it is the look, not the material. I don't like wood (fake or real) interior bits in my car.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm thinking you folks would be interested in helping out over here: thejoeyo, "The Best Used Sedans" #1, 16 Aug 2007 4:35 pm.
    My only complaint is that seems to take quite a while for a voice command to do its thing compared to just pushing a button. That will probably improve with upgrades eventually though. Love those gadgets!

The Sync site has a video demo and the system doesn't seem slow to me. I've never used an in-car voice activated system so I have nothing to compare it to however.
    All of you probably are sick of my raving about the hauling capacity of hatchbacks, but every time I'm able to get something into my Mazda6 hatchback that would not fit into a sedan I am that much happier that I made the choice I did.

I've always been satisfied with my car, but more so when I overheard some people walking by my car saying some nice things about it as I was waiting for my queen sized bed frame with a high backrest to get pulled from their full service area. While I was waiting, I see many people in sedans trying to figure out how to get their purchases into their cars... several drove off with boxes precariously hanging out of their trunk since their packages would not fit through the cabin pass through. Others had to take their furniture out of the protective boxes to get them to fit in their cars.

Finally after around 30 minutes of waiting, I saw my package # show up on the IKEA screen saying that my purchase was ready to pick up and be loaded. As has happened before, the person helping me load laughed as I pointed out my car and said, "You're going to put THIS in THAT?!" When we were able to get it to fit without any problems, the guy said, "Very cool! Nice car! What is it?" Shopping there left me a couple hundred dollars poorer, but having a car that looks nice, that drives great and can hold things that other midsize sedans could never hold is priceless.

• waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    Not at all tired of hearing about your enthusiasm for a Mazda hatchback. I've owned two hatchbacks; it was wonderful how much stuff could be hauled in them. The only drawback I've noticed is that they lack some potential cross-bracing in the rear, giving up some body stiffness.
    All of you probably are sick of my raving about the hauling capacity of hatchbacks

Naw, what gave you that idea? Like to see you get a fridge, or sofa in there. ;) I have a truck for hauling things. Something like a lawnmower/generator, I don't want inside the car with me.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Wonder if anyone has tried fitting a Miata in there. ;)
    I miss my little toy some days, and may have to buy another one.

The only two problems with hatchbacks are the safety and noise issues. Generally a bit more noise, and there is no way to really secure the loads, in most cases. In my PT, I did have a box with heavy rubber straps tied to those little metal rings, but really nothing which would hold up totally in a wreck. It is one of those 90% of the time, I would prefer a car with a trunk. I am back with a car with a trunk.

For those wanting a hatchback, do we have a count on those going to test drive the Astra, once it hits our shores?
    Loren
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Feel the same way about my Malibu Maxx. Sadly the Maxx and 6 station wagon will be no more leaving just the 6 hatch in the mid-sized field.
    There is also still a Passat wagon.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Also the Elantra Touring hatch/wagon coming early next year. (The Elantra is a mid-sizer by interior volume.)
    FoMoCo is eliminating its Focus hatchbacks and station wagons in the 2008 lineup. Hopefully, the hatchbacks will continue in the Mazda lineup.
    Is the 2008 Focus getting up-sized to fit into the mid-sized sedan class?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    hatchwagon gives an impression of being kind of tall. So there's some nice hauling capability fitting things tall upright. The total length of the Elantra Touring from back entry to just behind the front seatbacks would be an interesting measurement length to have and compare with say, a Mazda6 hauling machine. :)

zzzoom6, BTW, I don't grow tired of your praising of your Mazda6. If you love it, you do, and that is true.

Oh, pfflyer, someone re-introduce auto haiku again to Edmunds! Maybe I'll suggest it.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

The only drawback I've noticed is that they lack some potential cross-bracing in the rear, giving up some body stiffness.

Which is why Mazda probably chose the sedan for its Mazdaspeed6. Strange thing is, Mazda chose the wagon for the Mazdaspeed3... And of course the hatchback weighs a bit more with all that glass in the back window (some have argued that this is a good thing in that the weight distributions is a bit more equal...I think that argument is a stretch though. this logic would suggest I should put a bunch of lead weights in the back).

So perhaps it does not handle as well as the mazda6 sedan, but when I test drove the sedan I didn't notice a huge difference. Both have a tremendous amount of grip when cornering and both still corner flatter than anything else in this class.

Now that I've got this bed frame home, I'm now not so sure having the ability to haul these things home is such a good thing... my room is now in a shambles trying to make room to put together this thing! Sorry, no pics of my sanctuary, especially in it's current condition! Alright, break is over... gotta get back to work.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Good point about the Elantra which is looking very promising, much better design imho than the sedan.
    Which is why Mazda probably chose the sedan for its Mazdaspeed6.

That is precicely why they chose the sedan. In fact, you can't fold the rear seat backs down in the SPEED6 because of extra bracing that was added that would block the opening to the trunk and make that feature useless.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Backy, do you have any preliminary photos' or other information on this? Is it going to be, do you think, like the Kia Rondo or more like the late and sadly missed Elantra GT 5 dr. Hatch?
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    "Naw, what gave you that idea? Like to see you get a fridge, or sofa in there. I have a truck for hauling things. Something like a lawnmower/generator, I don't want inside the car with me."

You just have to have the right hatchback to do that! I carried a sofa, and later a 18 cu. ft. fridge, in our old mid-80s Classic 900 SAAB 3-door hatch. Absolutely huge storage area - total with the rear seat folded flat was 57 cu. ft.
    Actually more like the Kia Cee'd. Take a look here:

aneesh, "2009 Hyundai Elantra" #1, 15 Aug 2007 6:23 pm
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    Actually, you can fold down the back seats on a Speed6, but the cross braces make it impossible to use the pass-through for large objects. It works fine for my snow skis, 8' 2x4s, or other long slender objects.
  • benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    LOL... about a year or so ago, I drove a new Speed6 which was marked 23,995. Loved the way it drove, but one of the "deal breakers" was when the salesperson told me the seats didn't fold at all. Why do I always get the salesperson who doesn't know the product?

To be fair, that wasn't as bad as when we went looking at the then-just-introduced Camry 3.5 V6. The Toyota salesperson told me it had "a thousand torque." I didn't even try to correct him...
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    The Toyota salesperson told me it had "a thousand torque."

I think he was trying to say that it has a lot of torques.
    Which year is yours? I'm almost positive I couldn't fold the seat backs down on the '06 I played around with in the showroom.
  • scottlscottl Member Posts: 109
    I have an '06 Speed6. The seats fold down, but there is a panel in the trunk that must be removed (no big deal, just five plastic clips). The cross braces are a little sharp, but you can use some rubber trim or foam insulation to cover it up. This is not listed as a feature because the braces get in the way, but for skis or lumber, it works great.

I still vote the Speed6 the deal of the decade for the under $24K many people paid for them. This is a great car. Power, handling, comfort, AWD, best brakes for under $50K, and good looks, too. There are still some '07s available. I wonder what they are going for?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The interior is very nice, but I just don't get the exterior styling at all.

I have a 2006 EX Accord. Personally, I'd keep my own interior (it is less cluttered and from the looks of it has more storage space) but happily trade the exterior looks.

To each his own I guess, eh kirb?
    I like the looks of the interior a lot... reminds me of the Tribeca but maybe less futuristic. Anyways, I like it. But the button fetish that has shown up in the more recent Acuras is maybe a bit much. I suppose if the buyer goes without nav, maybe the 30+ buttons that are pictured will be shaved down to more manageable levels. But the flow is nice, and I really like how the inside of the doors look: nice accents, colors and textures.

But the exterior of the sedan still hasn't impressed me too much. It really reminds me of a saturn from several years ago. There seems to be no flow... like a bunch of elements designed to grab people's attention (the crease on the side, the "cyst-like" bulge in the headlights, the alloy wheels) just slammed together and end up looking a bit forced. I know Honda has some great designers... the TSX, TL, and even the RL have great flow and balance that attracts interest whereas the Accord sedan tries to make a statement without actually pulling it off. Fortunately, the exterior of the coupe looks dynamic and sleek. And the blunt butt seems to match the rest of the design on the coupe whereas the same element looks out of place on the sedan. I especially like the rear side window and the lower crease on the lower 1/4 on the side of the car.

Can't wait to drive it... hope the clutch on the 6 speed manual isn't as abrupt as the writer's of the edmunds article say though. But the engine, as expected, sounds like a gem in both 4 and 6 cylinder forms. And the v-6 that drops to 3 or 4 cylinders depending on driving conditions sounds very interesting. Having a suspension that appears to be a bit more firm on the v-6 coupe is a move that I welcome and I can't wait to try it. September looks to be a great month... the next generation Mazda6 at Frankfurt and test driving the new Accord coupe!

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    It looks like a winner. I wouldn't hestitate to buy it in a heartbeat. Knowing Honda, they took a great vehicle and made it better, sight unseen.

The Accord is the only car in the lineup I would and could purchase. Honda can keep the TL, RL and TSX, MDX, RDX, etc although I understand they have appeal, just not to me.