Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    hi Kirstie. If a person prefers a V6 and larger wheels, and such, the test comparo simply did not work. I did test, at Honda, both the i4 and V6. Both seemed great to me, however if you want the acceleration of a V6, or larger wheels in alloy rather than plastic, which will have totally different tires of lower profile and thus feel, then they needed to use the V6 to V6 to do a comparison test. I just wonder what they said when the customer inquired about a stick shift, and Saturn said, we have none. This so called increase in sales, was pretty small, and must have averaged some 16 to 20 more cars per state being sold to retail customers. While this was good, it differs from great. Sort of like Honda or Toyota sales the next few minutes (exaggeration included). L
    Yes - yes indeed. The '98 Accord / '07 Sonata, is nice and clean. The lines do their thing and the parts do not appear as being just stuck on for effect. It all worked well in that design. I am pleased with my '07 looks wise, but the '98 was better in a way. Do like the rear redo on the '07, as it looks good. And I agree, based on looks, a Fusion (razor blades and all ) or a Milan looks about the best in within class.L
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    At least you're being honest by seeing 1998 Accord in 2005 Sonata. :shades:

I wasn't talking about tape measurements, but the shape which is undeniably similar. And you might not have noticed, Accord Coupe doesn't have the same headlamps as the sedan.

Or, are you disagreeing with those who have been suggesting that Accord looks like Sonata? And if you're all in agreement, then Caliber and Sonata are look-alike too!

It usually takes 2-years for Hyundai to get an inspiration. It happened in 1996 (1994 Accord's tail), they "missed" 1998 Accord in 2000 but went after Jaguar (S-Type). They managed to get back on track with Accordness (front 1998 Accord and rear 2003 Accord). Now the question is, what car do they have on the drawing board for next Sonata. :D

Perhaps we will see a bit of Honda in 2010 Sonata... Civic has been covered with Hyundai I30 revealed recently.

PS. The Japanese vehicle pictured above is not Accord, but "Stream". Speaking of which, you can see its rear end in Hyundai I30. :P
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    maybe the same reason no other manufacturer does this...from a sales perspective, your customer loses their focus on what you're trying to sell them. the dealership/ car brand might be presenting a question the buyer was not asking or would not have asked if the competitors cars weren't there thus presenting another hurdle to overcome.
    A car called Stream? Now that should have flowing lines. :blush:

now i must pay for punnitive damage, Loren
    How about Latitude?

Rumors are that Stream will be brought here (and another, that it will be called Latitude).
    GM's marketing department can't be that clueless. They didn't think of it earlier? In fact, they announced intentions of same approach as Aura WHILE the program was under way.

The fundamental idea was no different than crappy ads from a lot of automakers that compare vehicles from other automakers. In this case, they were confident enough that customers will invariably pick their product. Apparently, it didn't work as well as expected. Or they saw reduced hope with redesign of Accord (it seems to me, redesign of Camry didn't hurt much, or they miscalculated that as well).
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    How many good reforms get pulled before their true measure can be judged? It happens in business and government all the time. Perhaps their surveys found that it wasn't as effective as they'd hoped, perhaps they did not train their salespeople to use this tool effectively... whatever. For whatever reason, they pulled the program. Why they did it is just speculation and in the end it doesn't really matter to those who plan on doing their research before plopping down 20k on something (which I would hope would be all buyers, but coming from a sales background, I'd bet a small percentage of people do what I'd consider adequate research).
  • chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    The "not too sharp comment" is really not needed. She was most likely looking at an Accord EX not an SE V6. Content wise the Accord EX is more comparable to the Aura XE when you look at the what is standard. An SE is more barebones (pretty much an LX wheel alloys), trust me I have one. Your also comparing an end of life, highly discounted Accord when your comparing prices. Shame on you. Saturn does not discount MSRP unless there is a rebate. If you really want to do a comparison try an 07 22K XR (with incentives) which I'm close to purchasing. It smokes the Accord in every category that counts IMO. The XR has DSC, heated seats, 6speed instead of a 5, climate control, 6 CD changer, over 250hp and 250 lbs of torque. The Accord has a measly 211 lbs of torque (real power). Things I easily noticed on my test drive of the XR is how much quieter it was. It was exponentially quieter. Plus the Accord doesn't have a smooth ride. The Aura has great dampening even with 18 inch wheels. Honestly ever since I bought my Accord I've hated it. It's loud, uncomfortable and just a boring drive. Your talking about resale and honestly I don't see it either. Retail for my 05 SE was 20K. Trade in value was under 14K at several local dealers. Honda incentives have hurt resale just like everyone else. If you like your car that's great but don't try to manipulate the situation and state how much better your SE is since it has an H on the hood. Have you even test driven an Aura? You'd probably trade your car in if you did. I advise not doing it.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I think there is a resemblance between the front of the 1998 Accord and the current Sonata. I also think that resemblance is coincidental. The grille and headlamps on the 1998 Accord are very generic, and there's similar shapes on many other cars.

We already know what car the next Sonata (2009 MY refresh) has in its sights: the Hyundai Genesis.

If you believe that Hyundai intentionally copied the 1998 Accord for its Sonata, then you must also believe that Honda copied old Saturn sedans for the rear end of the 2008 Accord, with a touch of Sonata in the taillamps. Also you must believe that Honda copied the roofline of the Kia Optima on the 2008 Accord--they are dead ringers for each other.

Of course, both of those ideas are ridiculous. As is the notion that Hyundai intentionally mimicked an old Accord for their styling inspiration for the Sonata.
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    ... I like our 2007 SEL AWD Fusion is that its styling -- front, side, back -- doesn't mimic any other car. It is very distinctive and quite pleasing (to us anyway). I've seen renderings of the 2009 Fusion and still like the 2006-08 version better.

That's a good thing because we plan on having the '07 for quite a few years even though it is paid for.
    They did well indeed, with that design. Also like the Milan. L
    Latitude?
    Well some may like that name, to a degree. ;)

Of course the Compass has no relationship to the Latitude.

Ya know, Optima is kinda cool. Do believe RadioShack uses Optima too.

Ah names, where do they all come from. What is a Camry, I wonder?
    L
    Well, they could learn how to blow up the tires really hard, so the ride seems poorer on a brand X car. :DL
    Well, they could learn how to blow up the tires really hard, so the ride seems poorer on a brand X car. L

I don't know this to be a fact but I've been told that some dealers deliberately under-inflate tires to make a car seem like it has a smoother ride.
    2007 SEL AWD Fusion is that its styling -- front, side, back -- doesn't mimic any other car.

Although not a sedan...
    Compare this to this

And, this to this. :)
  • ykangykang Member Posts: 88
    You shouldn't have started this silly argument "Car A copied Car B" and I shouldn't have replied. :P
    First of all, she may be sharp as a tack. I said, sharp on the car buying deal. Nothing personal, so sorry about having it sound that way.

I absolutely had driven both cars before buying. I prefer the steering feel and the double wishbone suspension to the Aura. The Aura paddle shifting 6 speed is very nice, and is perhaps better in a way than the Accord. I find the 5 speed in the Accord to be smooth, and the D3 selection for performance on tight roads works fine. So it is about the same, with perhaps a cut above for XR. The engine is very powerful in both cars, with a zero to sixty which is very close. Yes, in a drag race, I could lose. HP is real power, otherwise race cars would lose to diesel trucks. As for quiet, I did notice tire noise in both cars. Could be lower.

If you hate how your Honda Accord drives, you would also hate the Aura, as they are similar, with a bit more natural balance to the Accord, and less top heavy feel around corner. And a double wishbone will handle the irregular bumps on turns better than any other setup I can think of. Those 18" wheels will cost you more come tire replacement time. And you just have more unsprung weight. No advantage there. You mentioned a Honda being better because it has an H on the hood. Nah, that is not the case. You look at the product, and add up the positive and negatives for each and every car. Then you weigh in the pricing and such. Sure a reputation helps.
    Really helps come resale time. There are some things which Aura needs to improve on, like I pointed out before. And I really hate those foot operated emergency brakes. All in all, the XR is entertaining, and IF they offered a better price, as in cost of car AND my trade-in, I would be driving one today. They did not.

What is wrong with getting a good deal on a last of design of a model? And it looks better. I don't care for the new one. That said, the Aura is going to come out in a Chevy flavor with a nicer looking interior, called the New Malibu. It's a moving target.

As for an SE being bare bones, it is not. It has every useful feature I could imagine, though lack the iPod input on the stereo, which could be an issue for some. I wonder about that oversight. But the SE V6 has stability control, 6 CD changer, alloy 17" wheels with Michelin tires, which I think are a bit overrate for grip, but seem to wear well.
    The remote key allows all window roll down from outside. The dash instruments seem nicer on the Accord. I would NOT advise getting the EX Accord, as the moon roof takes away 2"+ of headroom, and is a useless thing anyway. The cost in and resale, is not the value play like the SE V6. The SE is the sweet spot.

As for manipulating a situation, I am not sure what ya mean. I was there, got the pricing first at Saturn, then at Honda, and took the Honda. Got the deal and went for it. My best guess is that the Aura could be doomed, once the New Malibu is out, but it will still be a very nice car. If you can get the new, even higher rebate on the XR and do not have a trade-in to do, and like the XR, then go for it.

Now, I believe you said she bought the XE, which is the base model with 4sp. and 3.5 OHV engine. So how is that a good deal for the same money???
    L
    You may be right. But Hyundai/Kia have a pretty good history on their side. Here is one of the most blatant ones... you say pure coincidence?

And this might be equally coincidental as well...

If you believe that Hyundai intentionally copied the 1998 Accord for its Sonata, then you must also believe that Honda copied old Saturn sedans for the rear end of the 2008 Accord

I've heard something along the lines, and do see some similarities, not as blatant thought. I asked another guy to describe the similarities, and it sounds like he had just described Mercedes E-class' rear, another car that looks like Saturn L200/L300 but not in a "blatant" way.

Of course, nothing as blatant as this but some Kia/Hyundai products remind me of a step that direction. Want more?
    Well, they could learn how to blow up the tires really hard, so the ride seems poorer on a brand X car. L

I don't know this to be a fact but I've been told that some dealers deliberately under-inflate tires to make a car seem like it has a smoother ride.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116

Whats funny is that makes the car handle like dookie and I find it totally undesirable. I think they get a car in, do a half-azz job of prepping it, and then let it sit on the lot for 2 months without checking it.

When I was working at bicycle shops, before bikes went out on test rides, they got their tires checked and their suspensions checked (both use air pressure).
    Although not a sedan...
    Compare this to this

And, this to this.

The headlights sure do look similar but not the front of the Prelude. I don't see much resemblance in the tail lights though. The clear plastic and plastic chrome on the Fusion tail light, but not the shape, reminds me of a Nissan Altima.
    Honestly, I don't know how you could prefer the Accord suspension tuning over the Aura. The Aura has a multi-link setup in the rear which is more advanced and has much better dampening. When you hit bumps in an Accord you can feel them as opposed to the XR which is like a blip. You were the one comparing number of gears. The 5 speed is smooth but so is the GM 4 speed, I was just stating that the XR has 6. Also the steering feel in the Accord is much lighter and not as firm and direct as the hydrolic setup in the Aura.

I loved the XR I test drove and almost traded up on the spot if it wasn't for the weak resale value of my Accord. Like I said resale is not that great for the Accord as you make it out to be.

Nothing wrong with getting a good deal. I do this myself but your comparison regarding pricing against a heavily discounted, end of life model vs. a newer car is not exactly fair. I appreciate my SE as it has most everything I need except it's not much fun to drive.

Back to the OP. I believe she was comparing an EX 4 cylinder to the XE. She thought that was a better deal. You threw in an SE V6 which is a better deal in your opinion. At the end of the day as long as you feel like you got a great deal, be happy with your choice. Seems like she did, you did and I'm going to do.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I loved the XR I test drove and almost traded up on the spot if it wasn't for the weak resale value of my Accord. Like I said resale is not that great for the Accord as you make it out to be.

Hold it, did you try TRADING the Accord, or actually post it for sale and got low-ball offers? If you got one trade offer at a one dealership, don't be so put-off with your Accord's resale. Its likely higher than you were offered.
    Imitation is a sincere form of flattery.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    The front end of the 1998 Accord was an evolutionary design from the 1996 Accord.
    I don't know how you could prefer the Accord suspension tuning over the Aura. The Aura has a multi-link setup in the rear which is more advanced and has much better dampening.

Accord balances ride and handling far better than Aura does. And I doubt you know much about advancements in rear suspension set up. Accord's is a piece of art for its class. The 5-link (Watt-link) double wishbone is one of the reasons the car can handle well without penalizing ride quality, and when pushed around a corner, it provides for a passive steering.

And for 2008, Honda has tweaked it a little, so how this version performs, remains to be seen. But Aura's rear suspension more advanced? Thats the first time I'm hearing it (didn't feel it).

So I decided to see how Aura stacked up in professional comparisons. Looked like C&D placed it fourth with top place going to the "old" Accord. This remark stood out.

"As we said, almost right, until the sponges in GM’s Cheapness Department got to the project. Although styled well, the interior is executed with hard plastic, glaring panel gaps, ragged mold lines, and the scrape-scraping of a gear selector that slides through its range like a screwdriver through sand. Have GM’s cheapness freaks ever sat in an Accord?"

Instead of making my own statement (which can be easily "dismissed" for being a Hondamentalist), let me quote R&T on suspension:
    "The Aura’s ride quality is very refined and comfortable, but the smooth, softly-sprung suspension that serves it so well out on the highway comes with a price...."

Oh well, they should have elaborated on that one.
    Unfortunately, I can't take the credit for starting Car A looks like Car B argument. You will have to look again, if you care. :)
    Oh good heavens, if your steering is lighter on your Accord than the Aura, something is wrong. You may have too much air in the tires - who knows. As for heavily discounted pricing, the price discounts was about the same between the Aura and Accord. It was the lack of a good trade-in value. So, I guess you could say it was more heavily discounted. There is the problem. The Saturn Aura was overpriced, if they had intended not to discount them. Now going with the i4 vs. the old huff and puff OHV engine, I guess you could say you gain some HP. But if you want real HP, then get the top V6, and for gas savings the i4. It is a very smooth i4 engine in the Accord. An EX Accord i4 is not a big value play, but is more for those wanting the extra fluff, such as the moon roof and such. Of course it is not going to be as inexpensive as a basic XE. You can get the VP in the i4 if you wish to save money in the i4 series. You can also get a stick shift, which for an i4 engine, is a good choice. Yes, hydraulic steering is a good thing compared to the electric steering assist, Saturn got wrong when first introduced. Others, like the Mazda3 have a goodness to their electric assist steering. I have driven the G6 with electric steering assist and it was not all that much to my liking. As for smoothness of the 4 speed transmission, I guess it was OK. The 4 sp. is really good with the old Northstar V8 engines, and FWD. As you get into a V6 with the OHV engine, which prefers the lower revs, it is still OK I guess. Normally one expects a 5 or now the 6 sp. with a V6 or i4. I did test the XE before XR, and the kick off the line is OK, and passing is OK, but nothing like the XR, which really is a kick in the pants. From 60+ when punched, it is looking for more speed and making nice sounds.

Anyway, to each his or her own, Aura and Accord both have good points to them. I wish someone in engineering would have the good thought of placing the emergency brake back into its rightful place however. It is a hand brake to the right of a driver, thank you.

Glad she likes her new car. What is right for her, is the right car. We just differ on which numbers are better and how we view cars, I guess.
    Guess you can sell your Accord and get an Aura. I personally would get the New Malibu, or if I had some extra cash, test the SAAB, before buying an Aura at the current time. The New Malibu will start at $20K and run up to e $27K, but discounts of $1.5K to $4K will soon follow, no doubt. The SAAB clearance prices are usually really hot! That is like the super Epsilon of the bunch. See an Aura is but a brother or is that sister to a rather large and growing family of cars off the same platform. New cars to come in a one or is that couple a years, I guess, from Australia in RWD. For the first time, in a long time, Pontiac may be hot again -- well maybe. Loren
    Unfortunately, I can't take the credit for starting Car A looks like Car B argument.

Surely you didn't mean "argument" literally. It's more like a discussion. Speaking of discussions, does anyone else on this board own a Fusion besides Allen Kirby and yours truly?
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    "All in all, the XR is entertaining, and IF they offered a better price, as in cost of car AND my trade-in, I would be driving one today. They did not. "

better price? You werent going to get an Aura, period. You have been pointing out the flaws of the Aura and how its inferior to the Accord for months now. The Aura currently has a $1500 rebate that makes its price more than competitive and considerably lower than comparable 2007 or 2008 accord.

As for 18" wheels, they do have a benefit. They make the car look better. This is why so many cars under $30k offer them these days.

The SE is indeed bare bones. No power seat? No MP3 jack? Sorry but ESP and a V6 do not mean a car is loaded.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Okay, 1487, you are just being ridiculous now.

For a long time you were complaining about many the so-called "import fanboys" did not give a fair shot to the domestic products. Now we have a guy who may not be an "import fanboy" who compared the Aura and Accord back to back and ended up choosing the Accord.

Instead of praising the guy for giving an equal shot to the Aura you outrageously accused him for never going to get an Aura. If he decided to get an Aura and never tested anything else wouldn't that make him a "domestic fanboy"? Please explain to me, are you here to preach "may the best product wins" or trying to convert people to become "domestic fanboys"?

Enough is enough. Unless if you are on GM payroll of course...
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Kia admitted using Mercedes as its inspiration for the Amanti. They've even poked fun at the resemblance in their ads. It's very clear to me at least that Honda used BMW to some extent as an inspiration for the 2008 Accord (because they would never mimic a Kia, would they). Is that a bad thing? Hyundai was very open about Audi being the main influence for the Sonata's exterior.

Do you know how many cars have horizontal taillamp bands ala the 2003-7 Accord and 2006+ Sonata? Lots. In fact, the car that most resembles the Accord's taillamps is a Buick from the '90s (I think it was the Skylark). The shape is almost exactly the same. Whereas the shape of the lamps on the Accord and Sonata is much different. Does that mean Honda copied the Buick, and pretty blatantly at that? I doubt it.

Anyway, does the fact that Car A's grille or taillamps looks like those of Car B pass the "So what?" test, other than it being an interesting point about a car? Or does it demonstrate that automakers are running out of unique ways to bend sheetmetal and mold plastic, and when they do something unique (see: Aztec or Matador) it doesn't work out that well?
    Or does it demonstrate that automakers are running out of unique ways to bend sheetmetal and mold plastic, and when they do something unique ...

I still say that the 2006-08 Fusions look unique, unlike the lookalike Asian products. That, of course, doesn't mean that everybody likes it just because it's different. Indeed, sales have been good but definitely not outstanding.

I just know that looks-wise I am more satisfied with the Fusion than I would be with an Accord, Camry, Altima, Legacy, Aura, Sonata et al.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Function over Form is how I see it. If it works better, screw the looks. These cars are redesigned every 5 years at the most, so not much time is spent designing them. Looks are somewhat important to me if we're talking about sports cars, but a family sedan, not so much.
  • drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    I came onto this board hoping to read intelligent discussion comparing cars like the Aura and 2008 Accord. I happen to have chosen the Aura XR, mostly because of the rebates, but I certainly wouldn't laugh at anyone who buys a 2008 Accord.
    Unfortunately, instead of interesting discussion comparing the two cars, the board is filled with childish, personal comments between people who are obviously biased for their own cars. Oh, well. Too bad...
    I would like the reply to that:
    1) You are wrong.
    2) You are wrong again.
    3) You are wrong a third time, but maintain a certain consistency, no doubt.
    4) You win the prize, as you are wrong again.
    Glad to have been of service, before someone mistake's these wild assumptions as anything close to fact.
    Loren
    In the Ford line, I kinda liked the Milan more, though perhaps that has to do with the tail lights. The chromed front on the Fusion is pretty cool. Both are sharp. Has a little edginess to it, like the old CTS, which was pretty cool, but with a softer roundness to the middle.

If they are least had a single Legacy Sedan on the lot, I would have tried out one when looking for cars. At the time, there were zero, so I not only did not try the car out, I figured people are not buying that model at all. Guess Subaru is all about the other models??? I saw one or two over the years in the showroom and they looked pretty smooth. They 1000% for a Subaru when compared to some of their previous disasters for stylin'. Now I wouldn't mind owning that sports car they had some years ago, but alas the name escapes me know.
    L
    After all the years though, the Accord and CTS, IMHO do not look better. They just look puffier. And I thought I would like the Altima in a revised look, but now I am thinking enough already with the over-sized lamps and overall, it just in need of something really, shall we say New.

And yes, sports cars should have the looks, though in some cases, I can think of a clear winner over a newer better looking sports car too. And you can add to this, the oh my God, what is that, comments when a Z3 became a Z4. In this case, yeah a beauty wins, as in Z3, though a Z4 is nice and roomy inside. L
    Aura rebates. What is the current XR rebate? At the time I was looking there was two rebates. The second one was only for those which new of such a rebate, I guess. I brought it up to the attention of the salesman and said it was listed on the Edmund's site at the time for California. Well they said they can do that, but it normally is something emailed or whatever. What the heck is that? Still believe they should stock at least a couple base XR's on all those sale lots, as it really is a good deal without needing the bump up add-ons. Sure, there is a mark for loaded to more loaded to loaded to the sky is the limit, but an XR already is pretty good for having what I need, and I am thinking what most people need in a car, to possibly overkill. Heck, maybe they could build but two models, the XR and one called the XR+ which has the leather and navagation, for those in need. Rpice the XR at $21,995 and the XR+ at $24,995 Just a thought. L
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    You are exactly correct in your observation, and it exists on most of the forums here on Edmunds.com. Instead of objective analysis, it's mostly "my car is better than yours." Freud was right . . .

Some folks are downright fanatical about the brand of car they own, and wouldn't own another brand. The problem is most have never actually spent some serious seat time in the other cars they bash, therefore their comments are irrelevant.
  • drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    I bought a 2007 XR and received 2 rebates, a $1500 rebate and $1000 'conquest cash' since I traded in a non-GM vehicle, for a total of $2500 off. I bought the car in August and do not believe the conquest cash is available any longer, at least on the XR. I also don't think the 2008 Aura's have any rebates currently

My original plan was to wait for the arrival of the 2008 Accords and compare the two cars, but I simply could not pass up this offer. A similarly equipped 08 Accord would have been about 4 grand more. My budget was tight and I liked the Saturn, so I decided just to go with it.
    Excellent deal ! I was offered $1,500, then later on, as in a few months, I heard of $1,750. Now $2,500 off is really getting it down there. As for the 2008 Accord, I personally am disappointed in the looks of the new one, inside and out. Do believe the seats are a tab bit better. I prefer the '07.

Did your dealer have any side sticker for add-ons of pin stripes or window etching, or the like?

I take it the trade-in price went well. That was the point where I lost them.
    L
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    If the Aura Comparison sales tactic worked wonders as you claim, then they would continue to do it indefinitely.....

Why stop?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Oh, and for the record, Saturn did NOT offer any "deep discounting" or any "big time rebates". And IMO, after driving her new Aura a few times, they don't need to.

Fantastic!!! But in a visit to Saturn's website, they do indeed have rebates on the Aura across the board nation wide I believe. Not only that, but last I checked, the Accord and Camry were still outselling the "no need to discount" Aura.....
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    the salesperson at the Saturn dealer said that a fair amount of people did test-drive all three models, and at least 90% of them picked the Aura over the Camry and Accord. Not only owners of current Saturns, but also Honda, Toyota, and Nissan owners as well.

Wow, the SATURN salesperson said that? I'm amazed, astounded, and shocked and awed...... ;)

I think every salesperson at the Honda dealership would agree that the Accord is a better car in every way than the Aura..... ;)
    Didn't think I'd get so many reactions here. You know that C&D comparo was using an XE not an XR.

As for the cheapness, I do agree that there are some cheap bits here and there on the Aura. 2008 Aura solved some of those issues already. And honestly I think my Accord has the same amount of cheap plastics. It's just Honda is better at masking those then the competition although everyone is catching up.

A pretty good comparo written by Autoweek shows that the XR is very competitive.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070126/FREE/70118010/1528/F- REE

As for my trade in. I've been to three dealers all of which are quoting me similar pricing which is kind of depressing since I really want to pull the trigger. Like others have mentioned there's 1500 rebate and a 1000 conquest rebate for 07's.

I'm actually considering the new Malibu if things don't work out on an 07 Aura. The only thing I don't really like is the front end styling. That grill is huge! One of my favorite things about the Aura is the exterior. The Malibu will be priced better though. An LT2 is, if I remember correctly starting at about 22500. That's without the V6 package. Package pricing hasn't been release yet but I'll assume about 1000-1500 dollars. Plus the LT2 comes with standard suede seats and adjustable pedals. At least that's what I've read so far about that trim level.
    Well, wouldn't the Aura XR '07 be the deal then at $21,500? Not to say that the 2008 Aura and Malibu won't both be discounted upon release. But perhaps those rebates are buy $1,000 off. Of course a $1,000 + another $1,000 off by the dealer on a New Malibu '08 could be a good deal in that it is one year newer, if you sell a car every say three years. Just a thought. - Loren
    Looked over that article. Interesting how the Aura lost to Camry in the slalom. Seems like the long wheel based cars don't fare as well. Or is that the wheel base to width ratio? Anyway, it happens with sports cars losing to little, yet wide cars, like say a Mini -- oh doh! - that's a sports car. Anyway, it happens. The car wins the lateral G testing against the Camry, which evidently doesn't have a way to totally take stability off, if I got that right. The Chrysler 300 was limited that way in testing. Oh well, guess most family cars never make it to the race track. :shades: L
  • ykangykang Member Posts: 88
    You sure have a poor memory.
    Would this refresh your memory?
    Does that mean Sonata's front end will no longer look like 1998 Accord? :confuse: