Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Then I'm assuming you've never quoted EPA rating for your car, have you? ;)

What is it anyway? :shades:
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Others have been misinterpreting this "range" thing for quite a while and I thought it was time to clear it up. It really wasn't my intention to make you look foolish. It's really too bad one can't even make a post here any more without sensitivity training.

Maybe you missed this the first time around so I'll post several for you to see this time.

:P :P :P :P

Do you know what those mean? Talk about sensitive!!
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    Do you know what those mean?

I don't know what :P means. Explain please.
    Edmunds spells it pblt (if you mouse-over the icon) but it is really “BTTF”. Ever wonder why most sci-fi movies show humans of the future living in caves or run down places? That’s going “Back To The Future”. It is a part of next generation hieroglyphs. :P

From wikipedia...

:-p or :p or :P or :-Þ : Smile with tongue out - used to denote either a "raspberry" or being 'tongue in cheek' in English
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The tongue is definitely not in the cheek on this particular Emoticon. "Raspberry" is the more apt description for it.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    from what i see.... and it's rating quite well!!!

good for Nissan!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Yes, good for Nissan, and particularly for the Altima Coupe--24 of the 27 ratings are for the coupe. Maybe there aren't many 2008 sedans in dealer lots yet?
  • effect18effect18 Member Posts: 41
    Now, I dont want to send this thread back into warranty talk hell... but I was just doing a little research on the new Mitsubishi Lancer(that exterior is bad [non-permissible content removed]!), and noticed that Mitsubishi is offering a 5yr/60,000miles bumper to bumper warranty on their cars now. Is this new? Or has it always been like this? And does the Lancer fall into the midsize catagory, or is it compact, should i be discussing the Galant(which isnt as cool)instead?

Not to say that I wouldn't have purchased the car I did last month... but had I known they had matched the best warranty in america... I may have given a Mitsubishi car a second look, and test drive.
    Mitsubishi has offered the 5 year/60k mile bumper-to-bumper and 10 year/100k mile powertrain warranty for several years.

Galant is Mitsubishi's mid-sized sedan entry--Lancer is a compact, although quite roomy inside. But more cool than the Galant. ;)
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    What is your point? If the Sonata and Accord are considered large cars, instead of mid-size, wouldn't that boost their MPG relative ratings intheir new class.

Exterior size seems to me to be a better difinition of "mid-size" or "large". Although it's a bit of a mouthful, what's wrong about talking about a mid-size car with large car interior room?

I think that is basically saying what backy was saying.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I don't think anyone shops for a car going by what the EPA (or anyone else's) classification says. There are many "Compact" cars that are just as, or more comfortable than a "Midsize" car. Example: At one point I owned a 92 Nissan Sentra Coupe, and 92 Accord Sedan at the same time. Although the Accord had more interior room, the Sentra had a lot more leg room up front (basically because the front seat went all the way back to almost hitting the rear seat). How much interior room a car has, per EPA, has little to do with how comfortable it will be for a particular driver. You can't tell how a car will fit you, by looking at the size rating on the sticker. You have to sit in it, and try it out for yourself. Someone may think a car classified as a "Compact" will be too small, and be very surprised by the actual room inside. So I think shopping cars going only by size class can be very misleading.
    Yes, you have to check it out for yourself. Volume measurements don't give the full picture. For example, some cars have big volume numbers because they are tall. If you're 5'10", do you really need 5" over your head? And some cars do better than others in letting rear passengers slip their feet under the front seats. That can make a big difference in rear seating comfort.

I would hope all prospective buyers do a "sit test", not just in the driver's seat but in the rear, with someone who is as large as your largest typical passenger (for me, that was my big, tall oldest son).

Doing a sit test can be surprising. For example, when I did that at the local auto show last March, I found that the rear seat of the Versa had more stretch-out leg room than the Altima next to it. Does the Altima have a bigger interior, in cubic feet? Sure. But the Versa had inches where it counted, plus a high driver's seat that allowed feet to slip under it comfortably.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    How often is that? Is it any more frequent than manual windows?

Do not have much experience with power windows on older cars...we do have a '97 windstar and have not had a problem with them. Our other cars with power windows are less than 3 years old. In shopping for older cars for a couple kids recently, I have not seen many with power window problems. I only recall one and all it needed was a new switch.

My daughter recently got rid of a contour with non-useable manual driver window...would have cost $150 or so to fix it, IIRC. The car was 11 years old when the stub that the crank connects to broke off.

The power windows on the Contour were fine for the 10 yrs/150k time, while the Accord went through all of its power window motors and 2 antenna motors in that time. The only car that can beat that was the Reliant, which was the reason the Caravan had crank windows (which never failed). I think the biggest issue I had with manual windows (in a 70s Nova) was the part you hold on to, the little knob kept coming off.
    Accord EX-L and EX-L/V6 have auto-dimming mirror standard (and accessory on other trims). Between those and manually adjusting mirror, I'm actually split. I have manual in my old Accord and auto in my TL.

Manual responds immediately, and TL's works but take a few seconds longer (after cold starts, I guess the chemicals inside the mirror casing take a little while to "warm").

This is similar to manual seat adjustment versus powered (although in this case, I'm the only one who drives the Accord which has power seats and rarely needs adjustments, while TL has memory seats, so it adjusts itself before I get in the car).

Our Subaru has that mirror, same one, same supplier. We have been told from other people who have that mirror that we have a 5 year life before it goes bad and permanently defaults to that green hue. I really don't mind just flipping the little lever that much.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Why would I quote EPA numbers? I may have mentioned them when I first bought the car in response to specific questions about the, then new, 2006 Civic which was rare at the time but if you mean do I bring them up in daily conversation the answer is no. If you had been paying attention to posts about other makes (aside from Honda) and other owners experiences (in addition to your own) you would have seen my rather lengthy post about our 1995 Dodge Stratus. I posted it about the time you waxed eloquintly about your Accord. Also, from time to time I bring up our less than positive experiences with the 2006 Honda Civic EX sedan I bought in the fall of 2005.
    In answer to your question: 2006 Civic EX sedan automatic...1995 Dodge Stratus ES sedan...2000 Hyundai Elantra sedan. This is titled to me but our son drives and maintains it so for all intents and purposes it is his.
    Emotocons and little cartoon characters do not change the intent of a post. I read the text (tone) of a post and whatever intent the little cartoons are supposed to accomplish..soften the tone make a virtual joke..whatever.. is usually lost on me. Sorry "you" ( a general YOU not you specifically) cannot post hostile/inflamatory/provoking text then at the end post a cutsey cartoon expecting that to make it all better. "Oh, I didn't really mean it" Right!!
    Emotocons and little cartoon characters do not change the intent of a post.

Sure they do. It's called sarcasm. Get over it.

Just try to be more careful when trying to disprove someone next time is all I, and probably others, ask. Two of us were in agreement on what the EPA numbers show us because we looked it up.

Nobody likes to be proven wrong, myself included, but it's even worse when it's done without any effort to find the facts. I've learned to laugh about it now and so should you. ;)
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    article

I'm surprised nobody caught this yet. Overall, very positive comments from Edmunds.

A couple items I noticed:
    With the VSA turned off, the engine electronics doesn't allow full-throttle acceleration until 20 MPH. Honda's worried about the possibility of too much torque steer? Whatever the reason, I'm sure Honda has good intentions, but to me, it's another useless electronic watchdog.

Also, why are they STILL cursing their cars with Michelin Pilot HXMX4 tires? They are quite possibly the WORST all-season touring tires invented, and can cost over $200 PER TIRE to replace, when much-better touring tires are available for half the cost or even less.

Other than that, a very nice-looking machine that should continue to do well for Honda.
    Probably going with Michelin because it's a respected name associated with quality tires, vs. let's say Kumho which makes an excellent tire from my experience, but not as respected a name.

I replaced the OEM Michelins on my '01 Elantra with Kumhos that cost about 1/3 of what the Michelins cost, and they were quieter, had better all-weather performance, and lasted longer.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The Bridgestone Potenza G009s I have on my 1996 Accord are great tires (high-performance all-season) which I will use on my 2006 Accord when the Michelin's wear out. They were $500 or so installed (185/65 15") on my '96, much cheaper than the $880 the Michelin's would cost on my new Accord (205/60 16")
    If I ask you, what is the EPA fuel economy rating of your car, what should I expect to hear from you? Let me see it.

And when it comes to "EPA rating", it doesn't count your opinion on what defines class. They stick to a standard definition. Or, are we to go with one's whim? Then we have a chaos, and there is no need for standards.
    With the VSA turned off, the engine electronics doesn't allow full-throttle acceleration until 20 MPH. Honda's worried about the possibility of too much torque steer? Whatever the reason, I'm sure Honda has good intentions, but to me, it's another useless electronic watchdog.

It is not due to electronic nanny of any kind. It is part of Honda’s V6 design, or so I conclude based on my observation. Honda surprised a lot of us (I’m speaking for another board which is largely for Honda enthusiasts) by putting 3.5-liter engine in the Accord while many were expecting a revised 3.0 or 3.2. Apparently, Honda’s plan was to go with VCM version 2. With this version, there is little wiggle room in low-mid range since the engine is to operate in two additional modes (I-3 and V4). VTEC is busy doing that, trying to enhance around town/low throttle fuel economy.

So, instead of 3.0 or 3.2, they went with 3.5 really tuned more like a 3.2 (as in my TL) up to about 3500 rpm (the "eco zone"). It is beyond this rpm that the hot cam takes over and VCM is out of the picture. The result is 3.5/V6 going full force (hence the peak numbers).

The effect is that of a 3.2/V6 under 3500 rpm (which will coincide with about 20 mph) and 3.5/V6 above it. In non-VCM version (only Accord Coupe/6MT at this time), the engine is full force 3.5 right off idle. While with VCM, the engine now has more performance in low-mid range than the 3.0 offered before and a lot more performance on the highway.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971

this type of 'program' is also tied into whether the 'watchdog' thinks the front wheels are straight as well, the Acura TL - and possibly tranny gear selections (the Toyota/Nissan approach). Things like this make you wonder though - what haapens when TV lawyers gets their teeth into your lawsuit contending you got into an accident because these 'watchdogs/nannies' limited your ability to avoid it?
    Lawyers will always find their way. Hey they won a case where coffee was hot! They would have won, if it were cold.

That said, I used to think the TL had some kind of nanny via DBW to limit power around corners. My car has debunked my belief since. You can get on the throttle around a turn and it will take off, and in the direction you point it at.

OTOH, Accord's V6 (as I explained above) is due to VCM design. Now if Honda were limiting power in non-VCM V6 (Accord 6MT), that would debunk my theory. I haven't heard about it yet.
    So is there an Accord V6 sedan offered with a manual tranny? If so, is that limiter still in place? That would be terrible if it were IMO. The V6 coupe elimnates the VCM IIRC which would make it the only true sporty option if the limiter is there on a V6 MTX sedan.

The new Mazda6 V6 is going to blow this thing away performance wise I'm guessing. It is bigger than the outgoing model but reportedly lighter IIRC. Plus the D37 engine will add roughly 50 HP and 50-60 ft-lbs of torque. Gas mileage will surely suffer though if that's your bag.
    No. 6MT is currently available only with coupe. Honda may add it to sedan lineup eventually (like they did with 2003-2007 generation, 6MT w/V6 was added in 2006). I was speaking of engine technology and why 3.5/VCM would feel different from 3.5/non-VCM. The 6MT mated V6 goes all out right from the get go (delivering at least 90% of its peak torque from 2000 rpm). The non-VCM version is actually very similar in design to Acura TL-S's V6, except for using lower compression and being rated with regular grade gasoline.

As for performance, Honda has rarely sought benchmarking performance with Accord in the American market. They have stuck with the middle ground to deliver "almost" the best of both worlds. It has been the winning formula for Honda, for a long time.

I do wish that Honda would offer Accord with a sport trim (from the factory as opposed to offering dealer installed HFP package) to address the "concerns" of naysayers, but I guess they won't do it unless sales (or lack of) demand it, and from the fear of seriously stepping on Acura's toes (which is a sad fact that Honda has opted to live with).

And we know, just performance doesn't sell. The current Mazda6 is a prime example of it, even with about half of its sales going to fleet. It appeals to a small niche of buyers. Instead, Honda focused on what might help them in the longer term (again)... fuel economy. With a little road time, Accord V6 is unlikely to scare buyers away with its real world fuel economy, as some others might face when the prices go up (again) and they will.
    So is there an Accord V6 sedan offered with a manual tranny?

No. Not at this time.

The new Mazda6 V6 is going to blow this thing away performance wise I'm guessing. It is bigger than the outgoing model but reportedly lighter IIRC.

Well, that's the global car anyway. We'll see with the US-spec bumpers and other "necessary" safety equipment if this holds true.

Gas mileage will surely suffer though if that's your bag.

That depends. Toyota does okay with a 6-speed auto with their V6 (only 1 MPG less on the highway compared to the Accord V6 w/5-speed auto and cylinder deactivation, IIRC). Since Mazda already uses a 6-speed auto, I don't see why they can't get similar results if they get the ratios correct.

Then of course, Mazda always gears toward the performance crowd, buyers that don't mind 1-2 MPG for better performance.

We shall see. :)
    If Mazda can soften the suspension in the 6 while not hurting performance, kind of like BMW does, then they should sell a lot more of them. Having owned one I can see how people would be turned off by the ride of one with the 17" wheels/low profile tires. It was a bit harsh but a lot of fun at the same time. If you're not looking for the latter you'll walk the other way most likely.
    Speaking of Edmunds' road test, while they compared Accord V6's performance to Camry V6's (from a previous comparison test), they didn't compare observed fuel economy. I'm not sold on EPA ratings (although most buyers are going to be fixated on it). In the same test that Edmunds' quoted numbers from, Camry V6 got them 20.4 mpg. 2007 Accord V6, while having worse EPA rating, returned 21.4 mpg. The new Accord got 24.4 mpg.

So, while Accord may be a few ticks slower in a 0-60 run, it got 20% better fuel economy. And speaking of acceleration numbers, I would love to see how these cars stack up in 30-50, 40-60 etc runs. They are far more useful measures in the real world (outside of drag racing).
    Well, that's the global car anyway. We'll see with the US-spec bumpers and other "necessary" safety equipment if this holds true.

Aren't the bumpers larger across the pond due to their stricter pedestrian crash laws though?

That depends. Toyota does okay with a 6-speed auto with their V6 (only 1 MPG less on the highway compared to the Accord V6 w/5-speed auto and cylinder deactivation, IIRC). Since Mazda already uses a 6-speed auto, I don't see why they can't get similar results if they get the ratios correct.

I was only comparing it to the Accord because it is different, but you're right, it shouldn't be any worse than the Camry or others with similar drivetrains.
    If Mazda can soften the suspension in the 6 while not hurting performance, kind of like BMW does, then they should sell a lot more of them.

Honda does that. But it won't put performance brakes/tires on cars. Although, 17" rims are standard in Accord V6 (I think they have been for last generation too). Drive an Acura TL-S and that cars rides way better than one can expect it to be. I have a 2006 TL, and Honda softened the 2007 TL (base), but it actually handles just as well now with better ride.

The downside to these refinements seems to show up in curb weight since most of it is probably achieved via stronger chassis.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Drop by this link to discuss the full test!
    Aren't the bumpers larger across the pond due to their stricter pedestrian crash laws though?

IIRC, the pedestrian standards affect the hood height (in order to allow space between the bottom of the hood and the engine/chassis, so it can "give" and soften the blow to a pedestrian.)

The larger bumpers are for the 5-MPH crash tests in the US.
    Although, 17" rims are standard in Accord V6 (I think they have been for last generation too).

I don't belive the rubber wrapped around them was as low profile or aggressive as the OEM rubber on the 6 though.

Honda does that. But it won't put performance brakes/tires on cars.

Hopefully you were referring to the Acura models when you stated that. The Accord does ride softer than the 6 but it in no way handles the same as or better than it. Thus the tradeoff between handling and comfort. I don't see Mazda moving away from an excellent handling car with the new 6 so it's either going to be rough riding like the current model or they'll have found a way to soften the ride without taking handling away. The latter should sell much better IMO.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    That's like arguing seatbelts kill people by preventing them from going through the windshield to safety.
    What we have here is a communication breakdown...my posts, all of them, were regarding the pre-2008 EPA sticker where to be sure the range WAS meant provide consumers the range of fuel economy ALL cars within the same class could possibly be expected (per the EPA tests) to get. You, on the other hand, have been talking about 2008 EPA stickers. Yes, I didn't closely read the new stickers and prior to the post that showed that new version didn't know the range NOW shows a specific vehicle. The facts are..we have been talking about different things.
    With 25.86 inch diameter wheel (17" rim), the difference in thickness of rubber is just 0.2" between Accord V6 and Mazda6/V6 Sport. It can't make a huge difference in ride quality. Besides, Accord Coupe V6/6MT is equipped with even lower profile stock tires on 18" rim, and it is said to ride very well (P235/45/R18).

As far as handling goes, I have said it before, Honda hasn't sold "sport tuned" Accord in America, and should. But for now, what we do get is one that has the balance to appeal to a wider audience. It is one of the reasons Honda sells as many Accords in a month as Mazda does selling 6 in six months.

For sportier performance, Honda prefers to send buyers to Acura dealership (TSX), and while I don't like the idea (I would rather see the formula applied to mainstream car) it is how the company has chosen to go about its business.

And even TSX is far from being as sporty as some Accord models sold in Japan.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    When I took my A3 to it's 25K mile service at the dealership on a nice afternoon, I was given a 2005 Mazda 6 (what they called an MX-6 on the key chain) sedan with the anemic V6 engine and dual tailpipes. It had about 35,000 miles, and was seemingly fully loaded (6 CD changer, V6, 6 speed auto; which surprised me!, and leather seating that seemed to me to be pleather more than leather.

I wasn't feeling the leather seats, felt a lot like vinyl to me.... .is it?

I wasn't feeling the little V6, I thought perhaps it was a really great 4 cylinder. I honestly wasn't sure if it was a V6 model until I looked under the hood. However, if it had been a 4 banger, I'd of said it was ever so slightly superior to Nissan's 2.5 or Honda's 4 banger. As a V6, it wasn't that good; however, it's midrange 3K to 5K power was quite good. It seemed to have less low end torque than a VTEC V6 though (which isn't all that good to begin with).

The car was floatier and softer than I expected; it actually rode very comfortably to me. Even though it bounced and floated when hitting expansion joints on the freeway exchange ramps, it held the ground like it was on rails despite all the soft slow movement in the cabin. I did take a ramp at a high rate of speed to test this. So it definitely handled as well as my Accord Coupe; would have to drive more to declare it a clear winner rather than a tie. I went through 3/8 of a gas tank in about 120 miles; not so good (though I don't know what kind of mileage that is since I don't know the tank size). I was exercising the engine to red line occassionally.

The interior materials feel and look cheap to me. The car showed its wear (you Mazda lovers can blame that it's a loaner/rental car, but I won't accept that excuse entirely). The lighter gray plastics in the middle of the dash are the worst, including the matching trim on the sides and doors. The seats were comfy and sporty at the same time.

The hatchback trunk was strange.... are all Mazda sedans equipped with the lifting rear window/trunk combo? That could be useful. I like that feature; provided it doesn't cause more noise or other issues. I noticed the finish/fabric on the lid behind the rear seats covering the trunk was "low rent."

one note: the front tires were a bit low; probably around 25 psi.

Overall grade B- bordering on straight B.

Improve the interior materials and improve the engine, and Mazda may have something! Oh, what the heck is Mazda thinking with not having a trunk release button either on the remote or in the car? That was idiotic. Even a 2006 Civic has the buttons.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    If Mazda can soften the suspension in the 6 while not hurting performance, kind of like BMW does, then they should sell a lot more of them.

Honda does that.

They forgot to do it on my '07 Accord EX then. It seems to be very effective at showing me expansion joints and pavement irregularities, yet still handles like a wet sponge.

But it won't put performance brakes/tires on cars.

The brakes are okay, but its like they go out of their way to buy tires with low performance limits. I think its because they chose tires based on rolling resistance, which improves MPG at the cost of actually sticking to the road.

The downside to these refinements seems to show up in curb weight since most of it is probably achieved via stronger chassis.

I would hope so, since the carpet, floor mats, and other interior components seem to be of lower quality than my '93, so its definitely not materials or sound reduction components.
    Ride: Are you saying Accord rides harsher than Mazda6? Then we need to go for a ride together. :)

And while we're at it, we might as well test the real road handling skills (instead of arm chair racing with printed spec sheet on hand).

Tires: I haven't noticed any decline in mileage since I replaced the OEM Michelins 132K miles ago. In fact, it went up. I'm thankful that Michelins that came with the car were overly expensive to replace. It gave me a good excuse to explore other options.

Quality/Features: At one point, you had to buy floor mats (they are included now, or at least were a few years ago). My 98 actually has better quality to the controls than your 93. And back then, Hondas were well known for being ridiculously underfeatured and undertired (now I'm complaining about them going overboard with features and rim size). Heck, even the mainstream Civic now has bigger wheels than my 1998 Accord.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    From many of your previous posts, you were not satisfied with your old (93) Accord, yet you bought another Accord (07). Which makes me wonder, why you keep buying these cars, if they are so bad? I don't get it.

Do you REALLY own an Accord? I'm really beginning to wonder. :confuse:
    From many of your previous posts, you were not satisfied with your old (93) Accord, yet you bought another Accord (07). Which makes me wonder, why you keep buying these cars, if they are so bad? I don't get it.

Do you REALLY own an Accord? I'm really beginning to wonder.

I wasn't dissatisfied with the '93, it was about as good as the Contour and the Jetta, it just was apparently not this holy grail I should've been expecting.

As far as the '07, it was definitely a mistake. It was a very good deal at the time but generally speaking one of the most soulless cars I have driven. It was at a low point of other things going on in my life. My goal right now is to keep it as pristine as possible and hopefully learn about the incredible resale it should have in a year or so. I have no idea why I bought it, I have never been so underwhelmed with a vehicle.

I take that back, as I mentioned previously, it does a fantastic job with holding the infant seat, and it gets mileage in the mid-30s. That screams driving enjoyment to me.
    Ride: Are you saying Accord rides harsher than Mazda6? Then we need to go for a ride together.

No, I think the Mazda is aggressive, but at least it can go around a cloverleaf without feeling like it was scrapping its doorhandles on the pavement.

Tires: I haven't noticed any decline in mileage since I replaced the OEM Michelins 132K miles ago. In fact, it went up. I'm thankful that Michelins that came with the car were overly expensive to replace. It gave me a good excuse to explore other options.

That treadwear number on the tire - the higher the number, the harder the rubber, and the longer the wear. The number is also roughly inversely correlated with rolling resistance - soft, sticky tires by design have more rolling resistance and thus, lower mileage, while highway tires are designed to roll quietly and efficiently.

Quality/Features: At one point, you had to buy floor mats (they are included now, or at least were a few years ago).

Yeah, the floor mats on the '93 were an additional ~$90. I wouldn't pay anything for the floor mats that came on the '07 EX.

My 98 actually has better quality to the controls than your 93.

You know, that is one area I never complained about, the controls always had a great feel to them. Same with the '93 and '07.

And back then, Hondas were well known for being ridiculously underfeatured and undertired (now I'm complaining about them going overboard with features and rim size). Heck, even the mainstream Civic now has bigger wheels than my 1998 Accord.

The '93 had 195/60R15s on alloy wheels. I thought that was fine for the size and weight of the car. When I replaced the highway Michelins with performance oriented Kumhos (and the stock 130k shocks with aftermarket replacements), the car handled very well and was fun to drive.
    I got a 2007 Mazda6 rental the other day. It was a 6i VE with the 17" wheels, sport cloth interior with power seat, leather wheel, ground effects, even a rear spoiler (thought that was unusually sporty for Hertz). I thought the I4 with 5AT was plenty peppy, but then, my daily driver has only 138 hp. Re the ride, I was mildly surprised at the ride comfort with the 17" wheels. The car glided over all but the biggest bumps smoothly and quietly, yet handled crisply. I would say that it did indeed ride more smoothly than an Accord, at least the 2003-2007 generation. Maybe the Accord's ride has been smoothed out for 2008, as per some reviews.

One nice thing about traveling a lot is that I get a chance to try out lots of cars... except Accords. :(
    Sorry if you were confused by my response.

The EPA rating on my '05 Sonata is 19/27. I average, year round, including summer with A/C and winter temps in the teens, right about the EPA estimate for city. I drive less than 3 miles to work and most trips are less than 5 miles. I do very little highway driving so I can't really comment on that except for 2 instances. I bought the car new in Florida and drove it home to CT (1300+ miles) and after about 700 miles did better than the EPA estimate, going with the traffic flow and using cruise control when traffic permitted.

I know the EPA uses their own definition of class sizes. I was merely responding to your earlier post questioning if the Sonata & Accord should be considered in the large car rather than mid-size forum discussions. I was trying to say that comparing the milage figures for the Sonata & Accord would lean in favor of those cars when compared to cars than are larger in exterior size (and probably weight).

BTW, have you finally learned the information you claimed to be trying to obtain for your friends to help them determine what car they should buy?
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    I replaced the OEM Michelins on my '01 Elantra with Kumhos that cost about 1/3 of what the Michelins cost, and they were quieter, had better all-weather performance, and lasted longer.

Well according to you, anything Korean is better.
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Member Posts: 116
    I keep hearing how bad American car sales are...

If American branded cars are selling so poorly, then why aren't there more for sale on dealers lots?
    The local Saturn dealership has turned into some 'used car' headquarters, with very few new Saturns to see, the two Ford dealerships have very few cars to choose from, and the "Number 1" Chevy dealership in town has fewer than 10 cars under $20K (but over 50 dumb trucks). Meanwhile, the Honda, Toyota, and Hyundai dealerships are balls-to-the-wall in new cars of all colors, shapes, sizes, and prices.

It's no wonder American branded car sales are down - there's no reasonable selection to choose from.
    Can't someone make a post around here without a personal attack?
    It's no wonder American branded car sales are down - there's no reasonable selection to choose from.

During the recent short-lived strike against GM (thankfully short) I read than GM had a 90 day inventory of cars compared to a 60 day inventory a year ago.

Maybe the problem in you area is a distribution problem.
    My Kumho Ecsta ASXs were $40/tire in a 195/60R15, have a VR speed reading, were great in the rain and okay in the snow, and had great turn in and a responsive ride. The Energy MXV4s they replaced were over $100/tire, okay in rain and good in snow, and handled like a pig on rollerskates.