Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I think that same button also inflates a few things. ;)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I think the main benefit of remote start is that you can start it from a distance, while you remain warm (or cool) inside. That could be a benefit for people who live in really cold or hot climates. It's something I can live without, even though it can get really cold (and really hot) where I live, but there's clearly a lot of people who like this feature, since there's quite a market for third-party remote car starters.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Yep. And it starts with defeating an anti-theft feature that is now common in many cars (immobilizer).
  • drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    I think the remote start is a really useful feature. I start my Aura XR from the inside of my office about 5 minutes before I am ready to leave for home. When I get to my car, it's toasty warm and ready to start driving immediately.
    Yes, you do have to put the key in the ignition and turn in to the 'on' position before the car will drive.
    I hope you (or anybody else) don't do that when the car is parked inside the garage in the house. For me, get in and drive is the better idea. It takes a little over a half mile for my cars in cold weather to warm up when running and rolling, and less than that in warmer weather. Excessive idling is not only waste of fuel, it isn't good for engines in the long term (if that is a part of the plan with the ownership), and takes several minutes to get the same effect.
    No, I don't do it in the garage. I noticed you live in Dallas, so I can't imagine cold weather starting is as much of an issue for you as it is for us folks in Ohio. I said 5 minutes but actually it's probably only 2 or 3 minutes.
    I have lived in Columbus (Ohio) and, better, in Minneapolis.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    Excessive idling is not only waste of fuel, it isn't good for engines in the long term

Doesn't seem to be very environmentally friendly either. But I sure would use the feature when leaving from work as I live in Wisconsin.
    Strange. Given your login name I can't help but be reminded of Robert Smith the football player who played for the Ohio State Buckeyes (Columbus), then the Minnesota Vikings (Minneapolis)... Also happy the Bucks beat Michigan...again.

I had always heard that it was generally not good for your engine to start it up in the cold then start driving right away bofore the oil was warm and flowing.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    He said, expletive deleted, I just paid $63000 for this new Jag and it doesn't do that. Shaking his head as he got in his beautiful Jag.

I got in and chuckled to myself knowing he could have bought three Aura XR's for the price of his (Ford) British tin.

Ah yes, but for $55.99, he too can have the advanced Saturn technology:
    Valiant Remote Car Starter
    On the contrary, Honda's recommendation on my 1998 Accord was to idle for no longer than 30s, as the car warms up faster. The one caution is to not be overly aggressive with throttle until the engine reaches operating temperature.

So, a typical idle time for me has been 15-20s. May be longer if I had to scrape ice/snow.
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    Who wants an Orange interior?

Maybe a witch, ghost, goblin so it can be Halloween 365 days a year instead of just one. :)
    On the contrary, Honda's recommendation on my 1998 Accord was to idle for no longer than 30s, as the car warms up faster. The one caution is to not be overly aggressive with throttle until the engine reaches operating temperature.

I concur, you want to wait until the engine has oil pressure, which for a modern engine, is almost instantaneous. Then the vehicle should be driven conservatively until everything (oil, mostly) reaches operating temperature.
    A couple of other things as well - excessive idling is very hard on a motor and emissions systems. Idling leads to carbon build up in the cylinders and can hurt spark plug performance. Also, keeping the car in cold start makes the catalytic converter have to work harder.
    Oh, and lastly, when the engine is running and the car isn't moving, that is 0 mpg.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Maybe a witch, ghost, goblin so it can be Halloween 365 days a year instead of just one.

LOL! :P
  • phaetondriverphaetondriver Member Posts: 175
    Just because the engine starts and is running doesn't mean the security system is deactivated. You still have to unlock the door and put the key in the ignition and turn it to release the trans mission lock, steering lock and turn on the instrument panel.
    It does run the heater or A/C as set before the car was turned off.
    One can get remote start installed in virtually any car, and in cars like the Accord which come with engine immobilizer, the feature needs to be taken out. In other words, AFAIK, remote start and engine immobilizer are mutually exclusive.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    You don't "take out" the anti-theft system - you just store a previously programmed key (or just the electronics piece of the key) near the ignition. At least that's how most remote start systems get around it.
    If I lived in an area where cars are stolen often, I would not want to effectively disable the immobilizer system, just for the luxury of remote start. Seems like that would also affect the insurance rates.
    Engine immobilizer function is designed to identify the key in the slot to start the engine. On the contrary, remote start systems often (and should) have a security system built-in that ensures key is not in the slot when remote start is activated. Another security concern is around servicing. The service personnel needs to be aware of remote start feature (or service mode activate) to prevent accidental start while the car is being serviced (or even being looked at home).
    I'm not aware that my insurance rates have been adversely affected by the remote start feature. If you have any actual doccumentation of this, I would be interested in seeing it.

In fact, the National Insurance Crime Bureau cited the 1991 Honda Accord as the most frequently stolen car in the U.S. in 2005. No Saturns were on the top 10 list.
    So it's basically replacing one security system, with another. :confuse: And how do these systems prevent theft?
    In fact, the National Insurance Crime Bureau cited the 1991 Honda Accord as the most frequently stolen car in the U.S. in 2005. No Saturns were on the top 10 list.

That's more of a reflection of Saturn's dismal sales numbers.
    The Accord's arch-rival, the Camry, has outsold it over the past several years. Does that fact alone make the Camry a better car? If so, then why didn't you buy a Camry? If not, then I'm not sure where this argument fits in the conversation. 'The masses' aren't always right, like when the masses of Germany followed Hitler. I'm not going to pick a car just because it has good sales figures.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I'm not sure why it matters, but actually the 1993 Saturn SL comes in at #9 on the list.

Interesting that all the most stolen cars are old, except for the 2004 Dodge Ram. The two Toyotas on the list are from the 1980s :surprise: .
    I stand corrected... Guess maybe Saturn sales aren't so dismal.

The point, though, is that I'm not really sure whether having a remote starter or adding one is really going to make it more likely that your car will be stolen. Professional thieves obviously go after popular makes of older cars so they can sell parts. If a professional thief really wants your car, he is going to get it regardless. If your car has OnStar, though, the car's location can be tracked via satellite. I'm under the impression (by OnStar's advertising) that it is not that easy to disable this tracking feature.

The immobilizer system is not going to prevent your car from being loaded onto the flatbed of a truck and hauled away. From there, they don't even need to drive the car to get what they really want - the parts.
    Interesting where this thread has gone from a simple statement of giddy happiness.
    The interesting part is all the discussions around security. Guess it might not be wise to add a remote start to a Honda.
    I believe the Saturn maintains full security even after the engine is started. If I left the window down and set the alarm then started the car remotely, opening the door by reaching inside and lifting the lock button and pulling the handle, I believe the alarm will sound.
    Haven't tested this yet but I will.
    If not, someone would still have to pop the keyswitch and jump the correct wires to get the systems to activate the trans-lock, and dash electronics.
    Don't think I will worry about it since after I start the engine I am in the car within a minute or less. Oh! If the right wires are not connected in the ignition switch, the 10 minute timer will shut the engine off, So I suspect if it was stolen, the thief would only get a few blocks to a mile away when the engine dies.
    I could be wrong but I doubt the key has to be in the slot - it's typically just a close proximity RFID reader that can be satisfied by taping a key anywhere close to the ignition switch. Of course without remote start or keyless go you can't do anything without turning the key so it wouldn't be of any use.
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    So...how far away does everyone's remote work? I have a factory remote start in my Sebring and I've tried it from 660 ft away inside the building where I work to the far end of the parking lot and it starts right up. This will come in very handy on frosty winter days when there is ice buildup on the windshield.

Also, as far as the security goes, mine automatically locks the doors if I use the remote to start it. When I then unlock the door and get in I have around 30 seconds to insert the key and turn it to ON or the engine shuts off.
    The Accord's arch-rival, the Camry, has outsold it over the past several years. Does that fact alone make the Camry a better car? If so, then why didn't you buy a Camry? If not, then I'm not sure where this argument fits in the conversation.

The point was that the Accord has been a consistent big seller and therefore is likely to make the top ten list of stolen cars. Saturns by contrast have been a big sales disappoint over the years and are not likely going to be on such lists. That's how the argument fits into the conversation. How you construe what I said meant that high volume vehicles are therefore better cars is beyond me. And why you would bring Hitler into the discussion from such a tongue and cheek remark is way beyond me.
    If your car has OnStar, though, the car's location can be tracked via satellite. I'm under the impression (by OnStar's advertising) that it is not that easy to disable this tracking feature.

I believe this is also the case with vehicles equipped with Navigation systems. Rental car companies also install GPS systems in their vehicles so if you cross a state line they can charge you an arm and a leg.
    While it's true the navigation system knows where you are, unless the vehicle has the ability to transmit it's location then it can't be tracked. A nav system alone won't give you this feature.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I just checked on the College Hill Honda's ( a dealer in Ohio) accessory website and it seems that Honda now has a "gen-u-wine" Honda remote starter for use with 2006-08 Civics and 2008 Accords. These vehicles all have an engine immobilizer but the text states that an engine module (possibly the immobilizer module) requires a dealer reflash... so never say never because I doubt Honda would recommend defusing one anti-theft feature (the immobilizer) to install this. It is, by the way, $388.80 and additional transmitters are $108.
    Professional thieves obviously go after popular makes of older cars so they can sell parts.

Is it really professional thieves that are stealing things like 14 year old accords and 16 year old camrys? How much can parts off of these old beaters be worth? I was speculating that maybe old cars are stolen more often just because they can be more easily stolen and taken on a "joy ride" than newer ones???

Of course the raw statistics on the number stolen is going to be greater for those cars that have bigger sales, in general. That list tells you nothing about the theft rate. They do have another list of 5 vehicles with the highest theft claims per 1,000 insured vehicles among 2003 - 2005 models...the only midsize on that list is the 2004-05 Sebring.

Linked below is an IIHS document that also shows Sebring #1 for theft losses among midsize. Saturn LS had lowest losses, BTW:

http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/ictl_pdf/ictl_0906.pdf
    Theft for parts largely happens if the older car still promises to have parts that is in good condition, commands a value and will not have trouble finding a place in its new “home”
    As was pointed out, I was mistaken and the Saturn SL DID make the list, so goes your argument.
    What was your argument?
    My point was that, statistically, having or adding a remote start to a late model car probably is not going to make it any more likely to be stolen. Most stolen cars are older cars that are stolen for parts. I imagine there is a high demand for parts of 10-15 year old cars, since they tend to break down more and their parts may not be as readily available. Thieves who know what cars they want are not even going to be able to tell that your car has a remote start by looking at it.
    Well I checked. With the alarm activated, I started my Aura XR remotely, then I opened the door and the alarm (horns) started blasting immediately. I disarmed the alarm entered the car, inserted the key which activated the systems.

I doubt most after market remote start systems would have any effect on the alarm unless they are activated by electrical system load sensors.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Don't think I will worry about it since after I start the engine I am in the car within a minute or less

Saving one minute of time warming up the engine is the value of remote start.
    Awesome. I think I'm feeling giddy.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I think not being on the top ten most stolen list is also a reflection of having a car that doesn't last, and therefore, stolen parts will not be needed for cars that no longer run or function.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    I rather have a really good keyless system than the remote start.

But again, I live in LA so there goes the cold/hot weather argument...
    I am looking forward to a passive entry key on my next vehicle. Keys are so 90s. I want to walk up to the car, have it sense my key, move my seat, wheel and mirrors to my favorite spots, update my radio presets, and maybe turn on the lights if its dark.
    ... drive and brake itself. :D

Much of it sounds like something one would do for a new date. :P
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    A lot of (if not all) what you've said can be done with today's keyless entry/start systems.
    ... drive and brake itself.

Nah, if I wanted to feel like I wasn't driving, I'd keep my Honda :P

Much of it sounds like something one would do for a new date

And if you do it on every date, love will stay fresh...yada yada yada :P
    A lot of (if not all) what you've said can be done with today's keyless entry/start systems.

I know, its not expensive technology, I was a little surprised my car didn't have it. I also don't see a lot of domestics with that feature. My MIL has it on her Prius and my boss has it on his MS6 and they both really like it.
    But your Honda never treated you like you were its date, right? After all, the only thing you missed was the car laying down a red carpet for you. :shades:
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Rubbish......older cars that sold well in their time are targets simply and only because they were sold in volume and statistically more are left. The rear wheel drive Olds Cutlass from the 80's was always on the most stolen list. I don't believe it was a paragon for reliability. Is this comment some new way of telling us, yet again, that the Accord being on the list (previous lists anyhow) is there because it is so reliable??? It is there because it sold well and there are lots to be stolen. If it was a reliability issue NO Honda's would be stolen...ever... because, as we know, they never break down and therefore need no parts.
    I just knew a certain someone would chime in turning theft statistics into a reliability measure :D .

Funny thing, though...one can get a state specific list from cars.com. For my state (WI), the top 10 most stolen, with their rankings, include:

1. 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass
    2. 1990 Buick LeSabre
    5. 1990 Buick Century
    7. 1990 Oldsmobile Delta 88
    8. 1995 Ford Taurus
    9. 1994 Dodge Caravan
    10. 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier

I'm thinking the '88 cavalier is on the list because they are left unlocked with keys in the ignition...the owner thinking "who would bother to steal a 17 year old cavalier" ;) .