Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Brakes

printer2printer2 Member Posts: 7
At 7000 miles dealer found that original brake pads were of a batch that had this problem and replaced them. At a 12000 miles started to hear slight grinding noise off and on.
This weekend at 18000 noise was louder and more constant.
Had the ODY in to the dealer today. They could not hear the grinding and since the pads were replaced with the so called upgraded pads would not do any more.
Lost the use of the ODY for the day plus spent over a hour round trip this morning and evening to bring it to the dealer and then pick it up.
The noise is intermittent now.
Not a happy Honda owner.

Comments

• blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Sorry to hear about your Ody. Our EXL/NAV/RES had the brake grinding issue but the replacement pads did the trick. When do you hear the griding? On a quick stop or down a steep hill?
  • printer2printer2 Member Posts: 7
    Grinding noise appears at different times , hard to medium hard stops mostly.
    Not sure if the "new" pads are any better or it is another part of the brake system. Have put 11000 miles on the new pads. Now have 18000 miles on this 06 ODY in 16 months.
  • sonofknudsonofknud Member Posts: 50
    Our brakes seem very soft in the 2007. Had in twice they keep saying I'm crazy.
  • float1322float1322 Member Posts: 9
    Same problem except LX. Please advise your latest status with dealer. Master cylinder was just replaced with same problem again. Thanx -Dan
    Any good advice appreciated. - Dan
  • bimmerangbimmerang Member Posts: 9
    I recently noticed, while driving, the parking brake indicator is on intermitently. I checked the fluid level and brake pads. They all look normal. What else can be wrong?
  • pkirangipkirangi Member Posts: 29
    Is it normal for a new Odyssey to show rust like color on the brake rotors?

Thanks
    PHK
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Is it normal for a new Odyssey to show rust like color on the brake rotors?

It's normal on every vehicle. The rotors gather surface rust from the morning dew and rain. As soon as you step on the brakes, the pads will rub it off.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    It sounds either like an electrical connection issue or the brake is not fully releasing. Do you engage the parking brake with any regularity?
  • pkirangipkirangi Member Posts: 29
    Thanks Robr2
  • gmp59gmp59 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Odyssey EX-L which has the same issue with soft brakes. The dealer has re-bled the brakes and replaced the master cylinder but this has not resolved it. They kept on saying this is expected until we compared with another Odyssey which had much firmer brakes.

Has anybody had this problem and can you shed some light on how this was resolved.

Thanks
    Gautam
  • smith806smith806 Member Posts: 3
    I had the same experience except on the second visit the service department contacted the engineers at Honda. After checking the already replaced master cylinder, they ran more tests and finally replaced the ABS Modulator. This seems to have solved the problem.
    I had the same experience. They replaced the master cylinder which did not help. At the second service call the service department called the engineers at Honda who suggested several tests. Finally, they replaced the ABS Modulator and this seems to have solved the problem. Good Luck.
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    I have an 05 Odyssey. When you say "soft" brakes, are you referring to the fact that it feels like you have to press really hard on the brakes in order to get it to stop? If so, I've had that problem since day one and thought it was just the way it was. It just seems like at times that you have to really give a good firm pressure on the brakes and press them down really far before the van will come to a stop. I've gone past stop signs before because I wasn't applying enough pressure and the van didn't want to stop.

If this is the same issue, I'll need to bring mine in to have it looked at. We have 31K on our van, so I'm hoping they'll consider fixing it given there appears to be a history of it. I assume there is no recall or TSB out on this?
    Exactly. The brakes were not responding correctly. I had to press harder to get braking action. Having had an Odyssey before I knew the brakes did not feel right. As far as I know there is no recall. No lights came on to indicate a problem with the brakes. Through the tests that were suggested by the Honda engineers, the service department was able to pinpoint the problem as the modulator.
  • exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    Oh, 07 brakes. I have a 07 EXL w/ 5.5K on it that was purchased in January. It’s my wife’s van so I noticed the soft brakes just recently. They were fine when I test drove the van before purchase. My wife was telling me that the brakes were fine and I am just used to my sporty car’s hard brakes.

I took the van to the dealer anyway. The dealer “adjusted the brake pedal” and said it’s all good now. To be perfectly honest with you, that all that I expected from the dealer. The next morning I called Honda Customer Service and told them to send a factory rep to look at my van. Nobody calls me for a week, so I called Honda back and kicked some [non-permissible content removed]. They called me and try to pull this is “normal” on me. I would have none of that and they send over the District Service and Parts Manager to my dealer and scheduled an appointment with me. The DSPM looked at the van two days and on the third day the dealer called me and said that they are ordering some parts, however, I can’t drive the van until then because it is not safe. :surprise: I picked up the van last Friday. The receipt says that the brakes were going all the way down to the floor and they replaced the master cylinder and the ABS modulator. The brakes are still very soft, but they are stopping the van much better.

The following day my wife takes the van to work, and comes back two minutes later saying that brakes are worse than ever, and she took my car. I live in the Washington DC area, so the next day I called NHTSA and asked them if I can bring the van to them to see what Honda considers to be normal functioning brakes. NHTSA told me that they don’t do this and gave me the phone number to a guy at some other federal government agency that tests cars for safety. The guy called me and said they haven’t tested the Odyssey sense 2001 :surprise:, however, Honda doesn’t usually have issues like this. He told me that the dealer probably forgot to bleed the brakes after they replaced the master cylinder and that I should drive a new Odyssey at a dealer and compare two vans.

We are going to drive another van tomorrow. If the brakes in my van are softer than the new van, Honda is getting the “Last Chance” letter from a Lemon Law attorney on Monday.
  • drrocketdrrocket Member Posts: 67
    Based on my irate complaint and your message my dealership contacted Honda engineers who disavowed any brake issues being associated with the ABS modulator in an '07 Odyssey (I have an '07 Touring model). What year is your Odyssey? What is the name of your service department, and if you have the names of the Honda engineers involved, that would be great. My service department has been unable to replicate the problem (it's an intermittent problem) and deemed it within factory specs to have to stand on the brake pedal sometimes.

Thanks for a prompt response; I'm taking the family on a road trip in a couple of weeks so I need the issue resolved before then.
    Gautum,

Has your problem been resolved yet? I'm having the same problem with my '07 Touring brakes but neither my service department nor Honda engineering will acknowledge such a problem exists or has ever been dealt with on a 2007 Odyssey.
    To all the posters who are having, or have had, the Odyssey brake issue wherein an undue amount of pedal pressure is required to stop the vehicle, file a complaint with NHTSA so it will be documented and taken seriously:

link title

Honda is currently disavowing any knowledge of the existence of such an issue.
  • hondaodyssey12hondaodyssey12 Member Posts: 3
    I took our 06 ody in this week due to grinding brakes at 23k miles. It had also been intermittent for a while,but it seems that honda was never able to solve my other intermittent problem (power steering?) so I wanted to wait until it was really a problem.
    They were going to resurface the rotors, but after trying, they just replaced them as well as the brake pads. They covered it all, and said it was a one-time "good faith" repair. I've never heard of honda doing anything in good faith, so I'm thinking there must be a bunch of us out there with this problem, but not enough for a recall? :(
  • fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    My '07 Ody, purchased it September of 2006 has the same soft break problem and it is at the dealer now. In the beginning the problem were intermittent, but now it has got worse. The front breaks make noise (grinding) as well as being soft. I have two kids and I do not feel safe in this van. I will keep you guys posted on this matter. I think my next car will be a Toyota. I personally prefer the looks of a Honda. However, I would trade it for a Toyota if it makes me feel much safer for my family.
    My brakes are dangerously soft again. I know I am not crazy had an 06 and it is night and day. Had to do an emergency stop last weekend on the 07 and the van was sloooow almost causing an accident. I am taking it in again for the 4th time and am ready to start lemon law research. They have had my van for a week and said it was unsafe to drive. They replaced an ABS modulator and it improve for a while and is bad again. Like the idea about complaining to the National transportation board to get these recalled. I will be looking into that tonight.
    They replaced the front brake pads due to the grinding noise and there is a back order for the ABS Modulator. My van has been with the dealer close to a week already. I have been praying that the ABS Modulator will fix the mushy brake feel. Continue to pray and keeping my finger crossed....I am hoping to get it back in a couple of days.
    Do you have any update on your test driving of the the new Honda Odyssey you would like to share with us? Or have you file a Lemon Law claim already? I would appreciate any comments or advice you might have because I am really concern regarding this issue. Thank you.
    Oh, the update. Yes, my wife test drove a new Odyssey and she told me that the brakes are much better on the new van. I have spoken to a lawyer, and he agreed to take the case. According to MD and VA Lemon Law, the manufacturer (not the dealer) gets only one attempt to fix brakes and steering problems, however, the manufacturer has to be notified in writing via a certified letter before the last attempt.

The lawyer said that even though I did notify Honda before the second attempt, I didn’t do in writing. Therefore, the lawyer sent Honda a certified letter on my behave giving them the last chance to fix the problem. Honda received the letter on 7/13 but haven’t contacted me yet. The lawyer told me to give them 21 days to respond to the letter. The best part about it; this will cost me nothing in legal fees. At least in VA, if the lawyer wins the case Honda is responsible for all legal fees, if the lawyer loses, he doesn’t get paid.

sonofknud, do not take your van in for the fourth time until you send Honda a certified “last chance” letter. Based on what I understand about the Lemon Laws, it doesn’t matter how many attempts they had to fix the problem, you can’t start the Lemon Law proceedings until the manufacturer gets the “last chance” letter to fix the problem.
    Thanks for the information and suggestion. I was reading that MN seems to be the same way, the information I found was that the lawyer sounded free. I did contact Honda and had a case opened with them. Anyway, I did make an appointment for tomorrow already. I will need to contact a lawyer to see what the law says for MN. By the way I have driven other 07 Odyssey and the brakes on those were soft but not as soft as mine get the 06 brakes were not soft at all. That was a month or so ago so hopefully Honda is addressing the softness. Interest that the ABS Modulator is in back log. I am guessing that part has a defect that we keep hitting and they have pulled the parts or keep going through them like popcorn.
    Forgot to mention I did file a report with the NHTSA like someone recommended. Here is the web site: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ to get started.
    Thank you for your inputs. I will be getting my van back today. Yes, the ABS Modulator was on back order and the dealer did not receive it until yesterday through FedEX, I think. The moment of truth will be today after work. I am hoping it will be fixed.
    After the Honda dealer replaced the ABS Modulator and bled my brakes system my brakes still feel soft. It did stop better than before, but I don't know for how long.
    We are both in the same boat now except my brakes are now regressing to the original inconsistent -fading- low pedal- too soft problem. I am starting to think about a "letter" at this point.
    I bought my car in again and they said they agree the brakes are way to soft. They are breeding my brakes and replacing my ABS Modulator for the second time. They said they don't know of any other option and are not confident this will help. They believe it is a defect in the part and Honda corporate is not giving them any assistance. I would call Honda Corporate and get a case on this. I have one from the first time this happen now I need to find the case number again. I need to look into that Lemon Law for MN.
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    Whatever you do, don't let them "Breed" your brakes!!! We don't need another set of soft brakes in the world!!

Instead, have them "Bleed" the brakes. It's much simpler that way.

Sorry, just had to do that..........
    Looks like the Modulator and the fluid (I will use a new word) did not do the trick. They are ordering a Master Cylinder which is on National backorder. Hopefully means they are make adjustments need to resolve the issue. I sent a fax to Honda Customer server stating they this is the fourth (MN give them 4 chances) and last chance. You need to do a written final request. In MN you then can go to arbitration with the Better Business Bureau because that is who Honda has selected in MN at least. When all else fails I can get it back working and trade it for a Toyota. Still do not care for the transmission issues in 2007 either.
    Here is a quick synopsis of my ordeal. As some of you remember from my previous posts, the first time I took the van in for soft brakes they adjusted the brake pedal. Before I took it in for the second time, I opened a case with Honda, and the District Service and Parts Manager (DSPM) was involved. After a week they replaced the master cylinder and the abs modulator, but that hasn’t fixed the problem. I contacted a law firm and they sent the “last chance” letter to Honda.

A person from Honda Mediation department called me and very politely scheduled an appointment at my local Honda dealer with the DSPM to show him what the problem was. On Monday, I met the DSPM and we took a test drive together. At first, he politely implied to me that even though the pedal is a bit softer than normal, the brakes work fine. However, after a little while he did admit that the pedal is not much better than it was the last time he drove the van. I picked the van up today. The brakes are finally working the way they should, at least for now. Here is the ticket write up from the Service Department.

“Customer states that the brake pedal feels real soft. AHM Mediation case.
    Issue is noticed mainly in the morning than during the day. Found the brake pedal to be soft, switched all 4 brakes lines from a brand new Ody and bleed the brake system. Found brake pedal to still be soft. Adjusted the booster push rod out 1 turn and pedal was still soft. Installed all 4 calipers, pads and rotors from another Ody, and the pedal was still soft. The master cylinder and abs modulator had already been replaced. Called tech line and recommended bleeding the system manually by one person pumping the pedal and one opening the bleeder. After bleeding the brake system pedal is now firm at this time. Brakes work as designed at this time.”

In summary, if you hold their feet to the fire, they start moving. They scavenged two brand new vans, when all they had to do is to bleed the brakes manually. Can you say DUH? :confuse: :surprise:

Good luck to all of you.
    Hey thanks for the update. Now they replaced the Master Cylinder also and it seems a little better but not where I think it should be. Funny about the bleeding of the brakes because that is what I said to them when I first brought it in. Maybe the person pumping the brakes made the difference. I will need to talk to them again and mention this because my dealer was also calling the tech line. Let us know if it gets soft again.
    Yes, we do appreciate you sharing it with us. They changed the ABS Modulator in mine and they brake is a little firmer, but not as firm as to where I would like it to be to feel secure like my Pilot. Thanks again.
  • civiccrxtranciviccrxtran Member Posts: 2
  • civiccrxtranciviccrxtran Member Posts: 2
    We brought our back in march and the brake seem to be softer and softer as weeks go by, honda dealer in San Marcos, Texas said there is nothing wrong. My wife almost got into an accident. I drove many cars in my lifetime never have brake problem unless something is wrong with the brake system ie. booster or just old pads. I'm gonna take this to another dealer here in San Antonio. If they say the same thing i might just have to get a lawyer involve in this issue. Anybody got any suggestions?
    I would call or fax Honda America. A fax is might be better because it documents the exchange and you can do that 24 hours a day. They may tell you what a good dealer is in your arean. I had the same issue the first two times my dealer said nothing wrong I went to a new dealer the next week and they said it was unsafe to drive. Have them test drive on the freeway at higher speeds at lower speeds it is harder to detect. So far it is either the Master Cylinder or the brake bleeding process. Tell them that you want the brakes bleed and a minimum and have tell them call the Tech Line and that you opened a case with Honda America.
    They also replaced my ABS Modulator twice so it could be combination of the 3. The first time they just changed the Modulator and the problem came back again. This last time they replace the ABS Modulator and it didn't improve and then they replaced the Master Cylinder also and it did improve. You can Honda America reference my case number:

NO120070725-00107

For the details of my mess. I have written a letter last chance letter as part of the Lemon Law. You can start reading up on that they are state specific I believe.
    Wow, that is nice of you to share it with us. I really appreciated. Thank you.
  • stevei54stevei54 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I have a 2005 Odyssey that has a vibration when braking at higher speeds. The Honda dealer says caused by warped rotors. I wondered if anyone had experience with using Raybestoes PG Plus Rotors vs. Honda Brand or as far as using pads such as Akebono ProAct vs. Honda? Just looking for any experience or suggestions concerning using Aftermarket brake parts vs Honda Brand.

thanks, Steve
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I read this thread, appreciate and aware of the 07 ODY soft brake problem.

In my 07 ODY LX I started to feel the brake started to the softer side after about 1,800 miles. I will keep monitoring this condition whether the brake deteriates more with more mileage on. Now I try to pump the brake 1 more time before I step firm on the brake and it seems working right.
  • oldarmyoldarmy Member Posts: 27
    Did anyone ever resolve the grinding noise issue. I have an 06 EXL with the same problem. Pretty loud grinding noise when I stop slowly. It is intermittent but once it starts will repeat several times then go away.
  • hondaodyssey12hondaodyssey12 Member Posts: 3
    I also had the grinding that only happened intermittently-- but it did only occur when the brakes were being applied, so I took it to Honda thinking it was brake pads... Not just that though-- We solved our problem-- Honda replaced our brakes and rotors as a 'one time' good faith repair-- brake pads are usually under normal wear and tear and don't qualify, however, after taking it in, they thought that my brakes were in a condition that was not normal-- they tried to smooth down the rotors, but that didn't work, so they replaced them. I haven't had a problem since.
    My suspicion is that I'm not the only one with this problem, and that there might be some unannounced recall or something?! :confuse:
    I have had my car in 5 times on this you can read the old posts. I mentioned the manually bleeding, from a post above, for the last time and here is what they did. They bleed the brakes 4 times on 9/7/2007 per Tech Line Reference 2435962 as per Lance. They seem better but I'm not sure how long this will last. In the past they seem to get worse with time.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    so far I found the beginning 2-3 miles drive need more effort on the brake, after that it works fine. Sounds like the brake also needs warm-up.
    So has there been a definitive solution to the soft brake issue? I am awaiting a consensus before I demand that my Honda service center muck around with the brakes. Currently they claim there is nothing wrong with them.
    I am really not sure if it was a combination of one of the issues. Bad Master Cylinder or Bad ABS Modulator plus special brake bleeding. I would have them try the brake bleeding first that seemed to make a difference though I am still waiting to see if it comes back again. I gave the case details on brake bleeeding in an earlier post.
  • minimom3minimom3 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, was looking around for tech updates on my 06 Ody re: brakes grinding. Came across your posting, did you ever find anything that I can use to argue my point to the dealership? They told me that my rotors are warped and just need resurfacing. Sounds like they need to be replaced.