Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Brakes

Comments

• hondaodyssey12hondaodyssey12 Member Posts: 3
    I didn't have to argue, the proof was when they tried to resurface the rotors, they were too badly uneven, so they replaced them, 'in good faith,' a one time deal. Since then, I haven't had problems, knock on wood. I haven't seen anything online about recalls and honda corporate isn't going to admit to anything.
    I would say that if you go to the dealership, you'd have to get a feel for what the techs and service reps like to hear. They didn't mind my lack of knowledge and I think they felt 'generous' as if they were making my day, when they told me they were doing the repair work. I don't know car talk, but I did know something was wrong with the brakes and suspected the pads or maybe that a ball bearing was off, or a rock was trapped. They appreciated my ability to pin it to the brakes, but that they could teach me something?! :blush: If I went in there angry and put them on the defensive, they might have been a little miffed and less likely to offer their services!
  • melatazmelataz Member Posts: 1
    I OWN A 2005 HONDA ODDY TOURING AND ALSO HAD A PROBLEM WITH GRINDING OF BRAKES WITH ONLY 17500 MILES ON IT . I TOOK IT TO MY DEALER ON LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK { HUNTINGTON HONDA } AND WHILE IT WAS BEING SERVICED I HAD MY OIL CHANGED.

TO MY SURPRISE, JESSICA MY SERVICE ADVISOR HAD TOLD ME THAT THE BRAKES HAVE AN INTERNAL RECALL NOTICE {CUSTOMERS WERE NOT NOTIFIED ABOUT THE BRAKES...CORPORATE NOTICE TO DEALERSHIPS ONLY} AND THAT THE BRAKES WOULD BE REPLACED UNDER MY WARRANTEE AND WOULD BE NO CHARGE FOR IT AND FOR THE INCONVEINANCE THEY WOULD ALSO PICKUP THE OIL CHANGE ALSO.

NEEDLESS TO SAY I WALKED OUT OF MY DEALERSHIP PAYING $0.00

I HAVE BEEN A HONDA OWNER FOR OVER 14 YEARS AND HAVE OWNED ALOT OF HONDA'S SINCE THE '79 BUICK REGAL BLEW AN ENGINE WITH ONLY 26,000 MILES THAT WAS MERTCULOUSLY CARED FOR EVERY 3,000 MILES BY MY UNCLE.

TO SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT HONDA IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG BECAUSE THEY DO TAKE CARE OF YOU. IAM PRESENTLY LEASING A 2008 CRV AND WILL BE A LIFETIME OWNER OF HONDA'S FOR YEARS TO COME.

AS FOR THE BRAKES ON THE ODDY I WOULD GO DOWN TO YOUR DEALER AND ASK THEM IF THERE IS A CORPORATE INTERNAL RECALL FOR THE BRAKES ON YOUR 2006 AND ALSO MENTION THAT THE 2005 WAS RECALLED BECAUSE ALL DEALERSIP SERVICE DEPT'S GOT THAT NOTICE

GOOD LUCK!! :)
  • stew13stew13 Member Posts: 5
    :lemon: :lemon: I have an 07 Ody Touring and have had issues with the brakes grinding since I purchased the car. The grinding happpens every time you apply pressure to the car. The dealer was initially helpful in trying to resolve the problem. They changed the bearings in the wheels at 2000 miles. They then changed the brake pads at 2300 miles and resurfaced the rotors. The problem just continued and they proceeded to resurface the rotors and brake pads 3 additional times in a period of 2 months. The braking issues were never resolved. Honda sent me a letter stating that there was nothing wrong with the car and that no more attempts to solve the braking issues would be done. Needless to say I brought the issues to a consumer lawyer and I won a judgment from honda under the Lemon Law for a repurchase of the 07 Ody. :lemon:
    Hello I have been having grinding of my brakes ever since i bought my ody. They have replaced the bearings in the front wheels and the brake pads. They also have resurfaced the rotors and brake pads 3 additional times. Unfortunately they still have not resolved the problem. When I had a lawyer send them a letter for a final repair they responded back that they would be no final repair because there was nothing wrong with the car or the brakes. The case went to arbitration and I won a Lemon Law verdict against Honda. I never expected this to happen with a Honda :confuse:
    Have you had any resolution to your braking problems?
  • sks3sks3 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    My 05 odyssey on a high way around 55+ miles, when brakes are applied slightly, the whole Van vibrates . Does any one have this sort of issue. Looks like everyone has grinding noise, I have more of vibrations rather than grinding noise.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Your rotors need to be turned, they're warped.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • sks3sks3 Member Posts: 5
    Hi jipster,

Thanks for the reply. Do you think this should be covered by the Service Bulletin [06-024, Breaks groan, replcae break pads & refinish disks. ] because its still under 36K miles OR is it normal for the rotors to wear out by 30K+ miles.
    Normally how long does the rotors last? not even 36K miles ?

thanks.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Well, yes I do think they should be covered by the service bulletin. Some dealerships would tell you that you're riding the brakes too hard , and try to get out of covering it, but rotors shouldn't go bad on this type of vechile so soon. You should get twice the number of miles... or more.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • oregonpioregonpi Member Posts: 4
    Last week I bought a 2007 end of the year clearance Odyssey with just 45 miles on it. The brakes started making a grinding noise the next day when coming to a slow stop. Needless to say, I am quite pissed off. Everything I had seen about this vehicle said that it was the top rated mini-van. Now I have to try to deal with the service hassles. Any advice on how to approach this problem ? Are there any Honda technical service bulletins related to this ?
    Sorry to hear about the grinding problem. I had the same issues with my 2007 honda. The dealer tried on severl different ocassions to try to fix the problem. I had the bearings in the front wheels replaced initailly. The problem did not go away so the dealer replaced the brake pads and resurfaced the rotors as a courtesy. According to Honda the Brake pads and rotors are not covered under warranty.
    I only had 2000 miles on the car at this point. the problem of the grinding went away for a week but it gradually returned. When I brought the car back again the dealer resurfaced the brake pads. This did not solve the problem. After speaking with the service manager and American Honda they said they would replace the front rotors and pads for me, but they would have to order the parts and would call me when they recieved them. I never heard back from the dealership. Mean while the grinding was getting worse every day. I finally contacted a lawyer and we sent Honda a letter to fix the car. Honda responded that they would not fix the car any more becuase there was nothing wrong with the car. I was left with no other option and I took Honda to Arbitration for lemon law and won a judgement against them to repurchase the car.
    Honda did not want to acknowlege a problem with the brakes and the possible saftey hazards associated with the car..
    Good luck trying to get the brake problem fixed. My advice for you is to get everything in writing on the service tickets no matter how small of a problem you feel you are having with your car.
    Good luck
    I think you mis-read my post, this is a brand new vehicle with 45 miles on it. Maybe you thought I meant 45,000.

What is it with Honda brakes ?
    Thanks for the advice. It's a very soft scraping noise just as I come to a stop. It is most noticeable in the morning when the brakes are cold.

I will definitely take your advice and get everything in writing.
  • frankr3frankr3 Member Posts: 9
    JUst bought an 07 exl with nav and res this weekend; noticed the same thing - soft brakes; feels like you have to push hard; wonder what deal is
  • gleppertgleppert Member Posts: 19
    I hope I haven't joined the discussions too late! Just purchased a used, untitled '06 Ody. Noticed that the brakes are quite soft. Thought that maybe I was used to the Saturn I owned or my wife's '03 Ody which has excellent brakes - just thinking about braking brings the van to rest!

I just emailed the salesman at Honda and told him of my concern and will await his response regarding the issue. I hope it's a simple fix, but from reading these posts, at best, I'll remain only cautiously optimistic. Especially after reading that some of you have gone higher up the chain and even sought legal recourse.

My second issue is the steering. In the '03, the steering wheel shimmies. We had an alignment done a while ago and my wife said it seemed to remedy the problem for the most part. It has returned and seems to be worse than before - holding tightly to the wheel and it still seems as if your driving with the shakes. Anybody experiencing this problem?
  • sonofknudsonofknud Member Posts: 50
    The brakes on the 07 odyssey are bad. Had mine in 6 times. Still very soft. Had an 06 and the brakes seem fine. Not sure what Honda did to the brakes in 07 wondering if 08 is better. Reading the Yahoo reviews lots of brakes softness in 07. Just started the lemon law process.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Did anyone try to to replace aftermarket premium brake pads instead of the dealer's?

I suspect that Honda is using cheap brake pads which are bad quality. When the dealer repalces a new set and still the same cheap ones. My 07 ODY LX brakes seem to need warm-ups, and under par in first couple of miles.
  • drrocketdrrocket Member Posts: 67
    So, the repeated bleeding of the brake line didn't solve the problem? Bummer, I was hoping a fix had been found..
    Just to keep you updated. I won a Lemon Law arbitrtion for the repurchase of my 07 Ody. Honda has appealed the decision and now I am going to court to defend my self against Honda. Honda will not admit that there is anything wrong with brakes on the Ody. and they are going to take legal process as far as they can.
    Good luck to everyone in my similar situation.
    I'm not sure if there is anything else that can be done at this point. If any one has any advice please let me know?
    Now on the 6th attempt to fix (first two they didn't do much). They did bleeding again first bleed the system then engaged the ABS 30 times and bleed again. Again it appears a little better at first (still below what I would expect) we will see how long it will last. I talked to my brother in law that works on cars and he wonder if it could be a problem in the power brake assist system. I just received my information from the BBB to go to arbitration. To bad because we do in general like the vehicle. I also test drove an 08 again and was not impressed with the brakes but they were better than on my 07. I also tried an 08 Hyundai and the I like the brakes. Going to try a 08 Sienna next.
  • balticbluebalticblue Member Posts: 7
    I read about the brakes, so before I bought 4 days ago, I tried the 08 and 07 Odyssey and they were the same....soft. So, I got the 2007 EXL RES.
    Now, at 119 miles I hear grinding when releasing the pedal, sometimes it just sounds like the clamp releasing but sometimes it's grinding. Should I be worried?
    Also, with 75 miles on the van, I went up a steep (1000ft) hill and when I stopped at the top, I smelled a burning rubber after opening the side door. Anyone experience this?? Of course, the dealer didn't smell it a day later when I went to get my splash guards put it. Any advice is welcome!!!!!!!
    My advice would have been not to buy a 07 Honda Odyssey (and not sure 08 would be any better). The quality of Honda is getting poor. Since you already own one, get use to spending time at your dealer. If you dealer does not want to help try another. Some are better than others. I also would not spend a lot on add ons in case you want to get rid of it soon. The only add on I think is critical is the liner for the back. That is nice and worth the $89 I bought an HandA online. On the positive side other than the brakes and the transmission it is a nice vehicle. I am wondering if going to a non dealer and have them look at the brakes would be helpful for my issues. Anyone gone other than Honda and had luck with the soft brake issue?
    On the positive side, I told the service manager that I was concerned about the soft brake issue before I purchased and he assured me that they would be fine but that if I had a problem that he would personally make sure that it was taken care of properly. So, this forum has helped me to be prepared for the worse yet still hope for the best. It has to be better than owning a T&C for 8 years. I was always in the shop for one thing or another, minor things but annoying. Most people only write in these forums when they are looking to save money or they need answers to problems, there are many who love their Odyssey...sure hope I am one of them! Thanks for the advice!
    I am leasing the ODY LX for 3 yrs, 198.-/month (208.-/mo w/tax), 2,000 down
    I think I will turn the van in after 3 yrs and lease another one, may not be Honda any more. Next a Sienna?
    The poor design of bumper grille (wide open, prone for debris to hit condensor pipes, 750.00 for replacement and this is NOT under warranty) and the soft brake issue just scare me.
  • bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    My 07 Odyssey EX has been dead on perfect. Not a problem with the van.
  • earnhartearnhart Member Posts: 4
    We purchased our 2006 Honda Odessey brand new. We planned on keeping this van for a very long time. Even installed video/game player, rear sensors and door guards. Then it happened,...the brakes began to make a very loud grinding noice. Sounded like metal against metal. Brought it into Honda and was told that Honda was well aware of this problem they then replaced the pads and resurfaced the rotors! It didn't help. I've brought that van into Honda at least four times now. One time a service man at Honda told me that Honda's rules are if they cannot reproduce the problem withing eight minutes then they are not required to try and fix the problem. A problem, I might add, they have all told me that they and Honda know about. My Honda has 19,000 miles and this is the second time they have changed the pads and resurfaced the rotors. Didn't work first time they did this so we'll see what happens. Also, brakes are spongy, steering wheel shimmys (sometimes) when braks applied and car pulls strongly to the left. I am so disappointed in this car. Never owned a brand new or even used vehicle that sounded like this piece of,... The people at Honda told me that the grinding is only an "inconvenience" and not a safety issue. I CALL IT A MATTER OF DISCLOSURE. IS ANYONE INTERESTED IN A CLASS ACTION SUITE?
    I have a 2006 Honda Odessey. The grinding from the brakes is loud and embarrassing. How do I know if my brakes are really shot or if it's just my brand new car sounding like metal against metal when I brake? The assistant manager at the Carlsbad Hoehn Honda told me that Honda is very well aware of this grinding noice. Every service technician at same Honda dealership has told me the same thing. WHY ISN'T HONDA REQUIRED BY LAW TO DISCLOSE PROBLEMS WITH CERTAIN MODELS? I think that we need to all get together and sue Honda.
    That is the reason I installed the DIY 4 dollars gutter filter to avoid this $700 - 750 repair (no warranty) .... scottmt, "Honda Odyssey Grille Insert" #76, 18 Aug 2006 5:17 pm
    look under ODY's Grille Insert thread, with photos and installation instructions.

What a shame. Honda should not have such wide open POOR design for easy debris hitting the condensor / pipes.
    Took my '06 in to the dealer to have the soft brake issue resolved. They bled the brakes, which improved very slightly - nowhere near as sensitive as our '03 ODY. Some combination of bleeding, Master Cylinder, or ABS Modulator seems to correct for some owners but not others. What IS the correction?
  • misstnsacmisstnsac Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced that more so than the grinding sound? My brakes at 25k started a howling sort of wind tunnel noise whan I step on the brakes from time to time....It started one cold morning (cold here was approx 40 that morning). I thought "oh my it can't be the cold air, making the brakes sound like that"..... Now it makes the noise at various different times whether the car is warm or cold and it is embarrassing!!! Of course Honda says they need to hear the noise. I can't afford to leave my car until they can hear the noise. I guess I could record the damn noise for them.....Has anyone experienced any noise similar to this?
  • donalduckdonalduck Member Posts: 16
    Hi there, I have noticed a lot of complaints about the soft brake and grinding noise. Do you really experience any major technical problems with the brakes besides noise and softness? I used to have a 97 RAV4 and I found that there is scratching noise all the time with or without pressing it. I took it to the dealer and they looked into it but they did not find any problem. It went on without any major mechanical problem. Then one day, I changed an aftermarket brake pad because it is time to change the original ones, and the noise was gone. My point is if there is no major mechanical problem with the brakes but noise, then how would the dealer or Honda admit that there is problem? It does not seem an easy negotiation.
    My new Odyssey EXL RES update. After a few hundred miles, I realized it only makes noise in the early (cold) morning or when stopping at really slow speeds.
    I'm not worried but I'll let you all know how it goes over the months, years....
    Enjoy...
  • buy_or_notbuy_or_not Member Posts: 5
    My concern is whether to buy this or not since I heard a lot of brake( grinding noise, soft brake) issues on this forum . Is it a common problem, or is it with very few percentage of Van's out there. If you talk to people out there ( who donot visit this forum), they seems to be satisfied with the van.

Please ! Help me to make buying decision.

Regards
    I felt the same exact way, so I test drove 5 different vans same 2 (2008) and 3(2007) and some brakes were softer than others. I told the salesman and the manager of the service dept that I was aware of the problem and what would be their response if I had a concern in the future. I wrote down what they said in front of them, I was nervous the first 300 miles but now I am satisfied and I hope this helped you. Merry Christmas.
    After having repeated problems with the brakes of my 2006 Honda Odessey (grinding loudly, soft brakes, wheels pulling to left) I sent off a report to the Better Business Bureau. Suddenly, after telling me that they only will replace the pads ONCE for free, they decided to check out my van, replace pads, bleed brake lines where they found air in the brake lines and a few other things were done. Now the brakes are not grinding,...FOR NOW. I am so afraid that it will start up again. We paid approx. 34,000. dollars for this car. We planned on keeping it and even added state-of-the-art dvd/game player, rear sensors and front door guards. Everyone I talk to is very happy with their Odessey so I have found out that not ALL Honda vans have this problem but for those of us that have purchased this car and are having these brake issues it is heart breaking (no pun intended). If I were you I would seriously check out comprable vans like the Toyota. I liked how the Toyota drove when I test drove one and the dashboard is lovely but they didn't have an eight passenger with leather seats. Wish they did. Do your research. No one seems to want to stand behind their product anymore. So, BUYER BEWARE!
    Tough decision. I think I would test drive the vehicle you are going to purchase and make sure the brakes are not soft. I am not sure what I am going to buy if I get them to buyback my 07 Odyssey. Consumer reports show the the reliability is dropping. We do like the van if the brakes were working correctly. Hoping that the 08 Odyssey is better but the test drives I have taken have not made me feel better. I could end up with another Honda but I am leaning Toyota or Hyundai.
  • buy_or_notbuy_or_not Member Posts: 5
    Hello All,

Thanks for sharing the info. I just did a test drive on 2007 Odyssey Ex-L brand new with 27 Mile. When I applied the brake, it did make a Grinding sound. I did extensive testing at different speed. I think 07 have this problem, not for all the van, but definitely few vans. I was about to buy this van, but now i changed my mind. I cannot take this chance with $26 K plus investment.
    May be it will improve later or dealer will fix it , but it is just taking chances and headache later on explaining dealer, Honda, lemon law, blah blah blah...

BTW, When I test drove Toyota Siennna, there was no such grinding sound.

Potential Buyer, BE AWARE !!!!!!! Try and Test it with your satisfaction.
  • milwiusmilwius Member Posts: 1
    I am expereincing grinding noise in my 05 odyssey for the last four months. I did not have this problem in the first 30 months( yes 30 months).
  • babsy2babsy2 Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone ever definitively discovered whether or not there is a Honda TSB due to the soft braking issue many of us are dealing with? If so, does anyone have the TSB number?
  • eisimingereisiminger Member Posts: 10
    i have a 2007 ex. got it on dec 5,2007.have 600 miles so far. soft brake pedal,also went down too far. at dealer yesterday,car was done in 20 mins. mechanic adjusted brake pushrod.he said hes done 3 of these just this week. cleared up my problem. great van. ike :):)
    The last time they repaired the brakes they mentioned "follow the power brake bleeding procedure in the bulliten (sac)" they also adjusted the push rod at least once but the problem comes back after a while.
  • socalsteve2socalsteve2 Member Posts: 1
    Wow, 2 Steves and 2 ODY with the same problem. My dealer blew me off twice, telling me it was a problem with the tires, they were well worn, so I believed them. But the problem persisted. The brakes also make a noise at low speeds (when pulling into parking spaces, etc...) The ODY is going in on Friday to have it's 48000 mi service and I hope to resolve this brake issue. Thanks for the feedback.
  • auntkrustyauntkrusty Member Posts: 3
    my 2005 is having the same noise as well. not effecting perfromance just very embarrasing. please post what your dealer says.
    My dealership denies there is any, i.e., Honda is not acknowledging any problem exists. I left my '07 Odyssey Touring with the service department yesterday for them to diagnose and fix the "soft brake" problem once-and-for-all, but once again they deny anything is wrong with my vehicle's brakes so they DID NOTHING!

Great vehicle except for that one dangerous problem; very frustrating situation.
    Curious about your braking situation. Two weeks hence, is the soft brake issue resolved with the pushrod adjustment?
    I would wait longer than two weeks it could take up to a couple months before I would see the problem degrade again.
    The first time they did nothing the next time they at least look at the brakes but I had to take it to a new dealer to get the first attempt at resolving. Trying a new dealer made a big difference with me at least they tried to do something and would listen.
    Early on, after my dealership did nothing, I went to another dealership, but they told me to go back to where I bought the vehicle since they would already have a report on file. I did get someone at the 2nd dealership to [reluctantly] test drive the van, but he deemed the brakes acceptable.

Despite the soft, spongy feel and the long brake pedal travel, the brakes are acceptable more often than not, but it's those unpredictable "not" times that scare me, especially when I roll through a Stop sign or into an intersection at a red light. That's when I ultimately have to apply the Flintstones brakes to get the van to stop.

I have described those unsettling occasions as the van feeling like it does NOT have power brakes, but unless the service department can replicate the problem they won't attempt a fix. If they did experience what I'm describing, it would not give them any additional information from what I'm already telling them. So, DUH!

The service department supervisor claims there is nothing on Honda's tech site reporting any brake problems or suggesting any solutions. I don't know where to go from here. I love the van, I just hate the brakes when they won't bring the van to a complete stop without me standing on the pedal.
  • touring2005touring2005 Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone, I have been searching the OdyClub site and here for info on what may be going on with my '05 Touring.... I recently had the TSB for the brakes done on my van and reported to them when I took it in that it had a hollow metallic moaning noise when turning the van at low speeds.

I have narrowed it down to the 10 - 15 mph range and when turning both left and right. As I said, they have already done the TSB for the brake pad issue, have had the front right axle replaced about a year ago, and wheel bearings about 4 months ago.

Now when I turn into my driveway, around a cul-de-sac, or into a parking space and have my foot on the brakes with about medium pressure, I hear a load metallic sound, almost like a hollow pipe sound.

Any ideas what this may be? Obviously the dealer did not fix it when we had it there originally.

Thanks, I look forward to any replies or insight you may be able to give.
  • tcunningham2tcunningham2 Member Posts: 26
    Same problem with my 07 Odyssey and went through similar experience with the dealer and Honda Tech Line (master cylinder replaced and brakes bled twice, still have soft pedal with too long of pedal travel and no solid feel at the bottom) and have a case open on this with Honda. Also sent letter to the Director/COO and Divisional President of Honda at Torrance, CA on December 15, 2007 asking for his assitance and giving him copies of the multiple 2007 Odyssey similar brake complaints on the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration web site. Got a call from a person believed to be in the Honda zone office on January 2 saying that they were working on a fix whatever that is worth.
  • tcunningham2tcunningham2 Member Posts: 26
    Bought mine 7/23/07. Did not have many times to the dealer as after reading the NHTSA complaints and other internet postings I figured that would be futile. Am curious, has anyone tested the 08 model for this problem?