Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Interior & Passenger Comfort Concerns

124»

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    With smaller and lighter vehicles in mind, why shouldn't I go for the civic coupe?

Well, it all depends on your personal preference. I chose the MS3 because I'm an incorrigible hot-rodder/track junkie, I needed four doors, and I like hatchbacks. There's not a thing wrong with the Civic- it just wasn't what I wanted or needed. Drive them both and make your own call; you can't lose with either cat.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    Yes. I have test driven 4 Mazda 3s and rented 1. I first found out about the a/c issue when I test drove an '06 GT and the temperature was low 70s and the a/c took 10 minutes to cool off what my "96 Altima and a Corolla I test drove did in a block.

I figured it ws a bad car so during a heat wave (temps in the mid to high 90s)I dove (both '06) a GT and an S. After a 13 minute test drive the slaesman could not wait to get me out of the car b/c it was so hot. Te air coming out of the a/c vents was only cool not cold.

I test drove an '07 i with temps in the high '90s. After a 20 minute test drive teh car was still too warm although the air coming out of the vents was very cold.

I rented a 3i not sure if it was an '05 or an '06 with the temps in the middle '80s and teh A/c was fine.

My neighbor has an '06 GT w/ dark tinted windows and his a/c is fine when temps are in the '80s but is always too hot if temps are in the '90s.

The a/c issue kept me from buying the car.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    A class action lawsuit is underway:

http://www.hwm.ca/mazda_locks.htm
    If that link doesn't work, try this one, info is on the left: http://www.hwm.ca/
  • chickenlipschickenlips Member Posts: 16
    After they fix the door locks, maybe they can work on the A/C.
  • rcwittyrcwitty Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2007 Mazda3 S and whenever I turn the heat on or the a/c on, I can hear something like a compressor turn on. It rattles and hums for a few seconds and then turns off. This cycle repeats itself over and over every few seconds as long as the air is flowing. If I turn the knob back to zero (effectively stopping the heat from flowing) the sound stops. Is this the compressor? and if so, should it be running when the heat is on?

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    That SOUNDS like an AC compressor starting up, but not being a 3 owner, I can't go out to mine and duplicate the noise.
    In most new cars, the AC compressor is on when you're on the defrost setting. You didn't mention whethere or not this is happening on defrost, so I thought I'd ask.

The fact that it cylces on and off doesn't sound right. I get the start up noise of the compressor when I first start up my heating/cooling system, but just that first time, not over and over again.

That part sounds like you might want to have your service guy check it out.

It might turn out that all this is normal, or they will say it's normal and you just happen to be focused on it.

Any 3 owners out there experiencing something similar?
  • tomkozskitomkozski Member Posts: 39
    The compressor cycles on and off when the a/c is on. It doesn't stay on the whole time. Also, the a/c (the compressor) will turn on automatically when you select the floor setting or beyond (like when you need to defrost/defog the front windshield), even if the temp is set to the hottest setting, as long as it is above 32F (0C) outside. This part is explained in the owner's manual. So, basically, what you're hearing is normal.
  • rcwittyrcwitty Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the response. I did see something about this in the manual, but the sounds is quite loud. It also makes my car shake a bit when it turns off. What is that about? :confuse:
    AC compressors can make quite a bit of noise when they cycle on or off. The compressor in my refrigerator sacres me sometimes ;)

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • carrie8carrie8 Member Posts: 1
    My daughter is on the verge of an 05 Mazda3 she's fallen in love with. I'm hesitant because this particular car has a kind of high pitched grinding sound when she starts it. It stops in a few seconds, but it sounds metal on metal. What is it? :surprise:
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    high pitched grinding sound when she starts it
    Manual or automatic?
  • dbeepathdbeepath Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the manual climate control on a 2007 Mazda 3 to an automatic climate control unit?
  • gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    Almost certainly not. Auto climate systems use a bunch of external and internal sensors -- even one to detect sunlight through the glass -- to operate and a car without auto climate would not have these sensors and the extra wiring, etc. Then you'd also have to change the panel with all the control knobs since those are different for the auto-climate too, not to mention the module that has the control logic in it.
  • daisyhazeldaisyhazel Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 08 Mazda 3 i touring. I also noticed that when I have the A/C running, the compressor (at least it sounds like it) cycles on and off and is quite loud. I figured this was normal but then got paranoid w/ it being a new car and expecting it to be quieter. I also noticed that on certain settings, the a/c comes on automatically. I am just getting familar w/ all the details of the car yet.
  • firstmazda3firstmazda3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have just purchased a 05 mazda 3 GT. I thought all the leather interiors had heated seats. I just learned today that the heated seats were not available till 06. So.... does any one know what it would take/cost to retro fit heaters under my butt??? Thanks.
  • remysremys Member Posts: 1
    So, i have a Mazda 3i 06 and recently my AC compressor died..its out of warranty..and according to the dealer, they wanted $1555 to replace the compressor, pully, and recharge.

anyways, i found a good mechanic to do the work, but I have been having a difficult time trying to find a used compressor for my 06 3. all of the ones I am finding on ebay are specifically stating that they are for 06 models FROM 9/1/05

...this is a problem..my car is 7/1/05.

now WHY is this a problem? im not sure..according to everyone selling these ac compressors..they all have this listed in their ad.

anyone have any clues as to why I couldnt use one of these in my car? anyone know WHERE i can find one that WILL work in my car? thanks so much for the help..hope im in the right place!
  • nomad93nomad93 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Mazda 3 5 door, and i noticed somthing today that i havent before. on the information display for the audio/clock. there is another section on the right that apears to display climate control information, relative to the setings of your climate control system. the problem is it is not displaying and i can t recall it ever doing so. i checked the manual and cannot find anyhitng in refrence to it. can anyone help me figure out if this is supposed to be working or am i just crazy....
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's probably either due to the mounting, or due to the fact that the compressor has been improved. Also there are two different engines sizes that year.

If your compressor actually seized, putting on a new compressor alone will not solve your problems, as debris has contaminated the entire system. So you'll need to flush the entire system and probably replace all the components.

If the compressor did not seize, you still need to replace more parts than just the compressor such as the receiver dryer. If the dryer dissicant (drying material) has burst inside, then the expansion valve is contaminated.

Replacing the dryer is a must. And of course recharge, etc, which should be done by a professional.

The dealer's price is high, since the compressor is about $500, the dryer $75, + refrigerant and labor. Seems like if you shopped around you could get a better deal from a professional AC shop. Working on your own AC if you don't have the right tools can be very dangerous.
    The same display is used for the 05/06's and those with auto climate control.

You can't get it to work, unfortunately. Besides, you would need a different wiring harness and sensors too.
  • bho15bho15 Member Posts: 1
    Ok so i know this topic has been mentioned before about trying to upgrade a manual climte control to an automatic climate control on a 2007 mazda 3. I wanted to confirm one more thing, I don't care about the auto climte feature i just want to know if i try to install it will the buttons still work manually?
  • wagnerowagnero Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Mazda 3 with 51,000 miles on it and the AC system just went kaput. I turned on the heat and something behind the dash made a strange noise and it kind of smelled like burning plastic.

I took it to a mechanic and he said the compressor was bad and that it had also damaged several other components, all of which needed to be replaced. His quote was $2500.

The AC has never been very strong, but I can't believe I'm going to be out $2500 for a car with 51,000 miles on it. I am very stingy with the AC as well; I only use it when it is really hot. Anyone else having problems with their Mazda 3?
  • allycat1236allycat1236 Member Posts: 2
    My dealer told me an "alert" was sent to the dealerships regarding customers complaining that the ambient air sensor (AAS) in 2010 mazda3. It seems that many customers have been complaining that the temp reading stays the same for several days regardless of the outside temp. I've found that the reading only INCREASES (this is not the case when decreasing) when you travel for 20 mph for 90 seconds and then the temp only increases 1 degree per 90 sec.

This is a problem for me because I live in Miami, FL....there are very few days that I meet the requirment to change my temp!

As of today I discovered that the temp changes if the car is turned off, ie: I parked my car and prior to turning it off the temp displayed is 94, 3 hours later start my car and the temp displayed is 104. After driving a few hundred yards the temp dropped a couple of degrees and with in several minutes (please keep in mind that I an not driving over 20mph for 90 seconds...the requirement to INCREASE the temp) the temp is back down to 94. So the AAS works fine if the temp needs to decrease, yet to increase the temp you have to meet the above mentioned requirements

Is any one having an issue with this? If you do contact mazda customer care!!!!
  • jbbeveljbbevel Member Posts: 28
    Wow.. not sure how you figured allt he 20mph for 90 second thing... but yes.... I have a problem my my Ambient Temp Gauge too.

If my car sits in the sun for a long time...it will read 70+ degrees... (when it's 95-100 degrees outside). Then it takes about 20minutes or so for it to actually read correctly. It's kind of a pain.. but not a real big issue imo.
  • aspen4aspen4 Member Posts: 22
    I am having a problem with my ambient outside temperature reading. Seems like
    it takes forever to respond to a temp change. the gauge is in the dashboard, not
    the mirror. Some times after a ten minute drive, the temperature does not move
    at all.
  • allycat1236allycat1236 Member Posts: 2
    Oh, I didn't figure it out myself, Mazda told me. This was how it was designed to work. If you have the time contact Mazda @ 800-222-5500. You will need your VIN # and complain. If enough people complain then they will consider a voluntary recall to install a newly designed sensor.
  • tj6968tj6968 Member Posts: 23
    The AC in my car has been working ok... Its a 2005 with no auto-climate. It is defintley no the best and I live in the Fort Worth... so it is very hot. And my seats are black so they heat up easily.
  • davisjadavisja Member Posts: 1
    I had the EXACT same problem. I have a 2005 Mazda 3i. At 52,000 miles, the A/C compressor seized. Quote from the dealership (who wouldn't fix it for free since I was 2,000 miles over warranty....) was $1,800 to replace the whole system. Ended up waiting until winter was over (since who needs it then?) and got it replaced with after-market parts when the odometer said 65,000. for about $1,400.

Now it's 18 months later, and the NEW compressor has seized. Just my luck that the warranty on that is 12 months, so they won't replace it for me. I'm beginning to think this is not a problem with parts, but somehow with the engine putting undue wear and tear on the compressor for some reason. In any case, I am NOT happy about having to pay another $1,400 to get another 18 months of A/C.
  • shuitinkshuitink Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the 2010 Mazda 3 about 6 months ago. I too have been experienced the inaccuracies of the climate control. I've had the temperature sensor changed out once and the new one works worse than the first one. I live in CA and for the past week we have been experiencing temps. of over 100 degrees; the temperature on my display has never read over 70 degrees. As stated above, the temp. will decrease if needed, but will not climb as quickly as it drops. I've called the dealership and complained, their only recommendation is to drop my car off for several days so they can test it themselves, but refuse to provide me with alternate transportation. The dealerships have also been given specific instructions from Mazda to NOT replace the temp. sensor, as this is the way it is suppose to work. I find it hard to believe that you need to drive your car for over an hour in order to get a true temperature reading. I will call Mazda AGAIN and complain, but don't think anything will be resolved.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    Did the shop that installed your compressor flush the A/C system before installing it? That could be the problem...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• zeeboyzeeboy Member Posts: 25
    Can the driver raise and lower all the windows simultaneously?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Yes, by using four fingers on the switches. ;)
  • car1234567car1234567 Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Mazda3's air conditioning kicks in and out. It blows mostly humid air. Then, spontaneously starts to work again for a little while. I've taken it to two shops and they can't figure it out. They keep telling me it's fixed and everything seems fine, but it's not. It's become a headache. Any recalls on this?

Other than that... the car seems to run okay. But it sure would be nice to have a defogger on humid evenings. It's becoming a safety issue.
  • aidanthetigeraidanthetiger Member Posts: 1

I'm 5'11", and although I never noticed before, I've recently improved my posture and noticed that I don't quite have enough head room in the driver's seat of my Mazda3. Any other tallish guys out there have head room issues in the Mazda3?

@aidanthetiger said:
    I'm 5'11", and although I never noticed before, I've recently improved my posture and noticed that I don't quite have enough head room in the driver's seat of my Mazda3. Any other tallish guys out there have head room issues in the Mazda3?

Are you actually hitting your head at times? 5'11" isn't what I would consider unusually tall (since I just scratch 6' myself). How much space do you have above your head?

• jd_24jd_24 Member Posts: 92

@aidanthetiger said:

I'm close to 6'4" and my wifes Mazda 3 hatch(2013) is fine, only if I lower the seat nearly all the way. Lowering the seat also gains some leg room.