Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Interior & Passenger Comfort Concerns

fshkpr1fshkpr1 Member Posts: 3
edited January 2014 in Mazda
I am almost 6 ft. tall and wear size 11 shoes. If I drive my "3" Hatchback with manual trans with my shoes on, my right foot would sometimes get caught by the brake pedal when letting off the gas( gas pedal is in a tight spot).
It seems to me that this should be a safety concern. Anybody have this experience?

Fshkpr1

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Post your Mazda3 AC problems here.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    It's a very long thread, but a few pages back there is a resistor and switch mod for the Mazda3's A/C. It does improve the A/C cooling and cycling time: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=46267.new;topicseen#new
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=46267.new;topicseen#new

page 30 - post 880 - All I can say is WOW - this Billm guy should get a job with Mazda - can you believe that someone just working on his own can solve a problem that Mazda has not solved in over 2 years.

I think Mazda knows what the problem is - they know how to fix it - they just don't care about their customers enough to do the right thing.
    I know, the guy is awesome. He wasn't terribly dissatisfied with his A/C either.

Yup, Mazda just doesn't care...
  • zoomzulazoomzula Member Posts: 7
    Has any one else had a problem with the A/C in an 06? I recently purchased one and have been back to the dealer twice. They tell me it works within specs and I tell them that I really could care less. All I care about is that when it's 99 degrees outside, the cabin of the car gets no cooler than 85.
    Has any one else had a problem with the A/C in an 06 i-touring? I recently purchased one and have been back to the dealer twice. They tell me it works within specs and I tell them that I really could care less. All I care about is that when it's 99 degrees outside, the cabin of the car gets no cooler than 85.
    Do you have climate control? If you have the AMB button you have auto climate control.
    No. I do not have climate control.
    Only those models with auto climate control have decent A/C performance. That's yours, mine, and many others' problem.
  • jozoomjozoom Member Posts: 5
    "Only those models with auto climate control have decent A/C performance" ... That absolutely NOT a true statement! I have a new 06 3-S with no climate control and my A/C works fabulously! I live in Florida .. my drive home of 35 miles every day, in a temp of 96, cruising @ 80 .. with the A/C on 1 keeps me quite cool .. actually chilly till I crack the window to smoke. My suggestion to people thinking about buying one of these wonderful cars is TEST DRIVE IT. My fiance test drove 3 different Mazdas and I drove 2 and the A/C was fine in each of them. If the one you drive doesn't work the way you like ... try another one. But the above-referenced statement is simply not true!! I absolutely love my Mazda .. more every day .. and for those of you who don't like yours ... I am truly sorry .. but there are lots of us who are more than happy with ours!!
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    My A/C is fine on highway speed driving 60 to 80MPH, not a problem and more than comfortable. My question to you is "what is it like in stop and go traffic? idling, stopped for many minutes with the temps in the 90s and the sun beating down on you, sun hitting the dash. Mine truely sucks, frustrating and just wanted to kick the ------- out of this car. :mad: All cars at highway speed will have a good working A/C and be more than comfortable.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Over the past couple weeks the weather here in Northern VA has been in the low 90's, very humid, with the sun out and shining brightly. In the course of those two weeks I have driven (between 12pm and 5pm, so the hottest times of the day) an 06 Mazda 3i Touring, 06 Mazda 3s sedan , a 06 Mazda 3s hatchback, and both an 06 Honda Civic LX sedan and an 06 Honda EX sedan.

In each and every case, all of the vehicles were hot when I started my test drive and I opened the front windows about half-way down for about 2 minutes and had the air conditioning set to recirculate on full front, max coldness, and airflow set to 2-3. All of the vehicles cooled down within five minutes and the majority of the driving was in city situations (stop and go). Honestly, I did not feel hot at stop lights, or when traffic stopped. I have read about the Mazda A/C issues here on Edmunds and was really paying close attention to this during all my test drives. I did not notice little to any difference in A/C performance in any of the vehicles and decided (after much debate) to purchase the 3i Touring model.

My wife drove our new car several times this weekend and did not complain at all about A/C performance.

I am not saying that some folks have not had issues with their A/C, I am just stating, for the record, that I did not notice this issue with any of the Mazda 3's that I drove. All I can tell folks that are worried about this is to do a thorough test drive and ensure that they are comfortable with the 3's A/C performance..
    Well, I'll tell ya .. I spend my time commuting down Hwy 75 and due to accidents and (unfortunately just rubberneckers which slow things down for miles on end) I spend a lot more time than I'd like idling and stopped for many minutes with the temps in the 90s with high humidity ... again .. I have no problem with my A/C .. even just on 1 .. and my window cracked because when traffic hits .. I feel compelled to smoke. I must say .. the dealer I went through also threw in window tint .. maybe that helps more than I think .. but my A/C is a happy camper .. as am I with this car!! I absolutely love this car ... it's way more than I expected ... fun to drive, stops quick, and moves when I step on it, fit and finish rivaling a BMW. I also have a T.A. with 320+ hp sitting in the garage. Expectations have a lot to do with it. I can't be happier with this car and it was under $19 tax, license and out the door.
    I appreciate those that responded to my first post saying that their A/Cs are great. I'm happy for you. Fact remains: mine is NOT and I am trying to determine if there is anything in the world that I can do about it. HAS ANYONE WITH THE PROBLEM MANAGED TO GET ANYTHING DONE ABOUT IT? If so, please let me know.
    From the moment I noticed the problem, I have been keeping a strict record of outside temperature versus inside (If anyone is interested, I'll post my results.) Of course, I don't know what good my records will do because the dealership's interest centers around the temperature at the vent, not the passenger compartment. Hopefully, my state's lemon laws will be of use to me. I'll know soon, as I've made an with my attorney for later in the week. In the meantime, I'll be taking the car back in tomorrow to see why my clock appears to be loosing time. While I'm there, I think I will once again mention the nasty static on my radio. And, lest I not forget, I fed Zula her third tank of gas yesterday and confirmed the fact that she is indeed a very hungry girl: 18.1 MPG.
    I'm starting to miss my 96 Protege.

Just so everyone knows, I too loved the Mazda3; that's why I bought it. I just wish my Mazda3 would love me back.
    Please post your record of the outside temp versus inside.
    Thanks
    Please would dc_driver and jozoom could you post your vent temps and how often your compressor cycles on and off..example cycles on 10 seconds and off 50 seconds or what ever time you get. Test with fan speed at 2 and recirc on.
    Thanks for your help...
    I have a new 06 3-S with no climate control and my A/C works fabulously! I live in Florida .. my drive home of 35 miles every day, in a temp of 96, cruising 80 .. with the A/C on 1 keeps me quite cool .. actually chilly till I crack the window to smoke
    Sorry, I don't buy it. I may have believed you if you said that you were fine at level 2 or 3 in highway traffic.
  • richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    Bill, I noticed something while driving my 3 down the interstate a couple weeks ago on a very hot, humid, sunny day. I reached behind me to get something off the floor, and noticed that the floor felt very warm.
    Checking our other car (a Mazda with fine AC) and rental cars I've been driving lately (AC of various quality), I'm wondering if there is a lack of insulating material underneath the floor mats and around the cabin?
    Maybe, in addition to the expanse of untinted glass and black interior, this could add to the strain on the AC on very hot, sunny days?
    First, Nifty ... if I had a temp probe .. and some free time I'd do it for you .. but alas I can't. As for ex tdier .. You can buy it or not .. that's your choice. However, I do not lie .. not even to the police when they ask me "do you know how fast you were going?" I have absolutely no reason to lie .. I'm simply telling you how my particular car operates. I left work this afternoon, after the car had been sitting in the sun all day at 90+, I turned the recirc and a/c on, turned it to "2" and within two blocks .. turned it back down to "1" and kept it there until I got home. So believe what you want .. I only "tell it like it is."

Back to Nifty ... good luck with your attorney .. I work for a law firm myself and we actually were offered a case where someone really had a lemon Mercedes. In my humble opinion .. you'll be spending a lot in attorney fees with a small chance of recovery .. which money could probably be better spent on either another Mazda which will make you happy or something else. I wish you much luck. My past experiences with cars is this: Sometimes there is just a car that was put together on a Friday afternoon or Monday morning that just isn't "right" .. that doesn't mean they all stink. For example, I had two Cameros .. one great and one that was in the shop every other week. I didn't turn into a Camero-hater .. I simply got rid of the one I wasn't happy with and learned how to really evaluate a car during a test drive .. and I haven't been stuck with another stinker since.

I am extremely happy with my Mazda, it goes great, stops great, cools me off great and is a blast to drive. I'm really sorry a few of you aren't having the same good experience I am.

Good luck!
    Are you sure you don't have an AMB button near your A/C controls? Because if you're not anemic or have some other health condition, you're in the minority,
    Again, I am very happy for those of you that are very happy with your cars. May I respectfully request, however, that those of you with no problems, refrain from scolding me for not enjoying my very hot, gas-guzzling beauty? My posts here were in the hope that someone who shares the same problem might have answers.

As to the suggestion that I simply get rid of the car and get another, rather than become a Mazda-hater--that's not always so easy. For a variety of reasons, none that I feel inclined to share, Zula is my first, and most likely the only, brand new car that I will ever own. She was a gift from my brother on my 50th birthday. Trading it would be tricky as the money I burn would be his, not mine.

Nifty56, here is the chart of inside and outside temps that I have been keeping. I realize that it is other than scientific, just me and a thermometer in the passenger seat, but here it is.

Outside Inside Miles Fan level
    99 86 276-280
    91 80 280-284
    88 76 284-289
    no A/C 284-301
    85 80 301-317
    98 79 432-438 3
    99 84 439-445 4
    no A/C 445-450
    99 92 450-464 4
    no A/C 464-478
    86 87 478-504 2

(Nifty, if per chance, the 56 represents your year of birth, Happy 50th.)
    I am quite sure I don't have an AMB button. Anemic or some other health condition .. NOT! Nice try though!

That's a pretty strong statement that I'm in the minority .. personally I don't believe it. I felt compelled to respond to this thread because I really don't want to see people thinking "all" 3s have this issue .. the 5 cars test driven by me and my fiance all had a/c's that worked just fine. I used this board as a tool in research and I must thank you for making me double-check the a/c .. but would really hate to see people chased away from Mazda thinking "all" of this model car is a gas guzzler with a crappy a/c. I have been getting 30+ mpg, running the a/c most of the time and I'm not even really broken in yet. I'm very sorry some of you are not happy with either your a/c or gas mileage .. I wish I had a fix for you but my auto maintenance days went out the window when carbs were replaced with electronic ignition. I have found that "befriending" the mechanics as opposed to "alienating" them does help tremendously. Yes, I've done both and as usual found that Mom was right: "you catch more flies with sugar than vinegar."

I wish you all the best, I hope you get your problems taken care. For me, I need to go get in the shower and get on the freeway ... which is a much more fun ride for me in my Zoombie!!

Have a good one.
    I agree with the honey and flies thing - but do you really think that being nice to the technicians at Mazda will get them to fix my crappy AC?

The reality is some Mazda3's have very good AC systems - some are OK - and some are very poor. Its the luck of the draw which one you will get.

This is true for the 2004, 2005 & 2006 model year (I would bet the 2007 also - but thats just a guess) - this is also true if you have the auto or manual climate control. Its just the way it is.

Mazda will not fix the weak ones - so check out the AC before you buy one.
  • richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    I did extensive trolling of the 3 forums prior to purchasing, and was fully alerted to potential AC issues. I'd rented a 3 for work - the AC seemed normal (hot, sunny days) - as well as the one I took for a test drive.

We also own a 01 Tribute. My wife really liked it, and our Blazer was ready for the scrap heap. Reading some of the postings in the Tribute forum at the time, there were reports of windshield wipers breaking off, steering wheels becoming loose, axles rusting, in short - a litany of plagues. Test drives didn't indicate (as far as we could tell) that these problems were likely to occur. Our Tribute has proven reliable.

I also think that cultivating a friendly resource in a Mazda service department can be helpful. However, as z71bill has noted, what if the service department reports the AC is within spec - but the owner feels the spec isn't valid - what is the resolution?
    My dealer tells me that parts are on order. Basically, a new TSB is out that will add another level to the cooling. What I was told is that the A/C airflow will be cooled at another level or stage before it reaches the cabin.

Will have to wait and see how this works. It sounds like it's another diffuser plate fix which didnt do much if anything.

richml, when you say you rented a Mazda3 and had no problems, please be more specific. Some 3's have auto climate and others don't. The latter are the one's that have the A/C issue. Please also state at what level you had the A/C on: 1, 2, 3, of 4.
    The reality is that 21,732 2006 Mazda 3s were sold in the first quarter of this year in North America .. how many of those cars are you "certain" have bad a/c's? I spoke to two service managers .. they said yes, there were some issues with "some" of them in 04 and 05 .. they also said they hadn't seen that issue with any of the 06's .. granted these are two dealers is S.W. Florida. You are speculating as to 07's as they are not out yet. I understand you are angry that your car's a/c doesn't work they way you want it to .. but your global statements have not been supported by any figures or evidence. It's not the "luck of the draw" .. as most of us test drive our cars before taking possession. I'm sorry, but you have lost all credibility with me by making these unsubstantiated statements. I truly wish that you can get your car fixed .. In reality "some" Mercedes' and BMW's and Chevy's and Ford's, etc., have some problems ... when it really is a large-scale problem .. there is a recall. Again, I understand you are angry .. I'm sorry and hope you get it fixed .. but these global unsubstantiated statements .. "Mazda will not fix the weak ones" .. how do you know that ... all you know is that Mazda has not fixed "yours" to "your" satisfaction. This global Mazda bashing has gotten old .. you're bashing cars that aren't even on the lot yet. I wish you all the luck in the world .. have a nice life.
    Right - I am speculating on the 2007 - thats why I said "thats just a guess" - you can split hairs on what the difference is between speculation and a guess - if it bothers you I will change it to "I speculate - based on all the problems with the 2004, 2005 and 2006 AC system that the 2007 will have the same issue" Happy now?

Luck of the draw - well if some are good - some are OK and some are poor you have a chance of getting one of the three - I guess you could improve your odds if you test drove it on a very hot day - I bought mine in January - temps were not very hot - I will change it to "If you test drive it on a bright and sunny 95 degree high humidity day then you should be able to tell if the AC works - but if you test drive (buy) in any other conditions - then IT IS LUCK OF THE DRAW" Happy now?

Ask your two service managers how many of the 2004 & 2005 models with weak AC that they fixed? What did they do to fix them? In other words - PLEASE PLEASE prove me wrong -when I say Mazda will not fix the weak AC system - its easy just post what was done to solve the problem - I would love to eat some crow on this - it would actually taste pretty good.

But if you go ask the service managers what they did to fix the weak AC in the "few" 2004 & 2005 models that they know about - and they say - NOTHING WE DID NOT FIX THEM - they you get to chow down on some credibility crow!
  • ecm56ecm56 Member Posts: 16
    Why not get together with all the other dissatisfied Mazda 3 owners and petition Mazda USA. If that fails, file a class action lawsuit against them using an attorney who will work on a contingent fee basis. I assume you have already been up the management chain at Mazda USA with your problem . . .

I don't see how you are getting anywhere badgering other Mazda 3 owners who can't do anything to help you (other than sympathize - which we do).

Eric
    You are new here? Welcome--- Have you read all the post about the A/C issue in the "Problems and Solutions" forum?
    Nifty56 hummm ecm56 strange
    check out the poll at the link posted here..let me know what you think.... ;)
    ecm56... Should have posted. go to post #2 and #3 here.
    The REALITY is that THE MAJORITY of Mazda dealers are trained not to admit there is ANYTHING wrong with the vehicle unless there is a fix available or soon will be. What they told you is regarding the diffuser issue, not the problem plaguing virtually all Mazda3 owners withOUT climate control. End of discussion.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    all the mazda dealers were on the grassy knoll in Dallas also...
    ?????
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    hahahahahahahaha!! :D
    I do not have climate control and my A/C works great. End of discussion.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    End of discussion.

Not likely. ;)
    The dicussion will probably continue from those with any updates, solutions and a general comment about their A/C. Anybodies experience with their service department and how they were treated regarding their A/C... :D
    check out the poll at the link posted here..let me know what you think....

Am I correct - 15000+ members of the forum and 254 filled out the poll? And out of those 254, half say they have "weak A/C (at level 1 or 2)"
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well probably 1% to 3% is about normal for a "factory defect" type of failure rate. That is, 1 to 3% of owners will suffer because of some factory screw-up. Why only this percentage if a "defect" is truly a "defect"?

Good question. Probably a combination of factors, such as not all cars being exposed to the conditions necessary to expose the defect, some people more tolerant than others, some don't complain or don't care, others don't have the problem (maybe it was just a small production run), some get fixed by dealers and are done, etc. etc.
    Do you really think that all 15,000 members would chime in and read every post. How many active members are there? do you know? I don't. I am not even sure your numbers are right. Some might have been members and no longer are but have not signed out. A list of all the members and the number of the posts they have entered would help if it was available. I am a member on many forums and no longer participate but I am counted as a member still. So some more research is required on your part..
    Clouding the issue won't help.
    Another point. Look at the top of the home page, you will notice there are many other forums- Ford Fusion, Volvo, Cobalt Mazdaspeeders. All of these are included in the member count. Some members have joined but not even posted. Some have not even posted in the last few or more months. Just an random observation
    Your move...
    My point was 250 is (obviously) an insignificant number to Mazda. That is unfortunate but apparently true.

I'm not trying to argue - I'm actually quite sympathetic to the cause. I owned a Ford with the now famous ignition module problem that would cause the car to die at inconvenient times (like when you were going 70 on an interstate). It sucks that they won't fix it. How did I fix my Ford? The old fashioned way, I sold it (actually, I traded it on an Acura).

To get any traction with Mazda, this issue needs a larger forum than what's here. Now, if you could just find some poor woman with a child that had some terrible medical condition that required air conditioning and she bought a Mazda 3 with her last few dollars so she could transport him and was taking the kid to a clinic for treatment and the a/c didn't work . . . . they'd fix it in a heartbeat!
    What year was your Ford? I had a 1987 with the same problem, took it to an independent garage, the mechanic know exactly what was wrong replaced a module and no problems till I sold the car.
    OK so let us pretend we all need A/C for medical reasons, we all go to a clinic for treatment, man woman child and the A/C is weak, we almost die, so why doesn't Mazda fix it. Kind of silly is it not? There is a difference between not working and working but weak. It's a design flaw and I am hoping there could be a fix and maybe Mazda is working on something. With the 04 they had many complaints and added a TSB to add a diffuser plate to help cure the problem but really was not good enough. So you see there was and still is a problem with many vehicles because there hasn't been any design changes. Mazda just keeps making the same mistake. All the A/C parts have the same part numbers from 04 to 06. 07? In Canada Mazda did not offer Auto climate control from 04 to 06 but will in the 07 model.
    So you see I am still waiting for that fix in a "heartbeat"
  • jlukejluke Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a 2006 Mazda3 s hatchback last weekend in Hillsboro, OR. Before we went for the test drive, we started the engine & turned on the A/C at idle. Within 15 seconds, it was blowing cold. We have had no problems with the A/C in 100 degree weather with nasty humidity. Mazda got the A/C right with this unit & we love everything about the car.
    Most of the AC problems are in the sedan - not sure why - the cars are the same mechanically.

The service tech at Mazda told me he has heard from many sedan owner about AC issues - but none in the hatchback.
    Now that's very interesting. I wonder what the overall glass area is in the sedan compared to the hatch?

I think my Scion has too much glass for the AC to deal with.

Any of you with deficit AC tried window tinting? Did it work or help?
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    I am getting my 3 tinted next week, but I always tint my windows (growing up in Florida, it is a must). A good window tint (I recommend "Formula One" window tinting) will reduce direct sunlight into your car by 30-60% depending on how dark your states laws are.

The A/C in my 3 blows cold air, but if the car is sitting in direct sunlight for several hours it can take awhile to cool down. But that is true of any car..

I think your Scion will feel a little cooler with tint, and it should cut back on how much A/C you use. Good luck!
    I think that cars with large glass areas are very hard to cool in traffic especially. That's when the glass really heats up and overpowers a marginal AC system.
    Had my windows tinted right after I bought the car in April of 2005 so can't really say it has helped, but, i am sure it does. I have 35% all around as anything darker might get me stopped by the police for a too dark of a tint. Maybe I should have gone with 30 or 25% on the rear windows. My car is a sedan. Mazda is not the only car built that has a large glass area with a black interior so I think they should have designed a better system. Then again maybe they thought they had and found out the hard way that it is weak.
    Well it took Mercedes about 20 years to build an AC that wasn't a joke, so maybe Mazda still has some homework to do on certain models. It's quite a science actually to make modern AC so light and environmentally friendly and still able to cool a car quickly. Your home AC could never match a car's AC performance....but then your home AC isn't being driven by 150 HP either.