Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy TrailBlazer Climate Control Questions

2»

Comments

• rookergalrookergal Member Posts: 3
    it started when the check engine light came on and i took my tb to have it checked by computer to see what was wrong, the guy put the computer on and it blew a fuse so he replaced the blowed fuse and said it was an oxygen senssor, so i replaced that, then resset the service engine light, but now i am faced with another problem HOT AIR, no matter what setting you turn it on it blows hot air from my vents, even in the off postion it blows hot air, does anyone know what is going on ?? plz help
    it started when my service engine light came on and i took it to advance to have them put the computer on to see what was wrong the guy there put it on and said his machine was messed up but he blew a fuse in the meanwhile, i replaced fuse and on the way home i started noticing the hot air, on every setting even ac and on the off position hot air was blowing, the ac and vents all worked fine before this, so i thought it might be do to the malfunction, so i took it to another place and they fixed the service engine light it was a oxygen sensor, so i figure problem solved , WRONG, hot air still coming from all vents even when they are off a/c compressor working fine but it also blows hot air,and if i leave the vehicle running for a while with the ac on it dies, why is heat coming from everywhere???
  • jerrcribjerrcrib Member Posts: 21
    ck all your fuses. sounds as if relay or fuse for ac is bblown
  • aopimeraopimer Member Posts: 5
    When my TB a/c started acting strange, the external temp would go down usually to around 50 degrees, but sometimes it would go down to -35 degrees and the computer would tell me that ice was possible. All of this caused hot air to blow b/c the TB's computer thought the heat should be on. I bought a new ambient outside sensor for about $20.00 from the Chevy dealership part's department. Then I looked on line to see where the sensor was located and how to change it. It was pretty easy to change. It then took about 2 days after that for the a/c to work properly again. I don't know if the computer had to reset or what, but it now works great, just like new. Hope this helps.
    i dont think its is that , because i unhooked the a/c completely and still gettin g the hot air, someone told me it wasnt the heater but the heat was comming directly from the egine, so i will prob have to pay the 300 to get it looked at , tanks for the reply
  • darlanikkidarlanikki Member Posts: 7
    I have had my 02 TB LTZ at the Chevrolet dealership for 6 months now. They have changed every part that must be related to the a/c. Please see forum " 2002 TB AC Compressor problems" with attention to post 15-19. I have described all my dealings with GM and am now starting over with a new dealership at the "field engineers" request. Surprise!! They have started with the outside temp sensor and wiring, just as the other dealership did 6 months ago. This whole ordeal is just unbelievable. GM tells me they have had no other complaints about this problem. After reading how many others have had the same problem, I am wondering how many of you called "Chevrolet customer service"? I'm thinking there has to be more than me who has called to report this problem. They say NOT. Hmmm?
  • moe81854moe81854 Member Posts: 3
    i called gm and they said that i was the frist to complain and had know other ones like this and said to take to dealer and let them check it and then if they find something they might pay for it but there was know guarantee that they would pay to repair it and that i had to pay for the dealer to put the machine on itmy trailblazer has very low mileage on it and they said they didnt care please let me know if they find the problem because mine is still not working right i have to run it for a3miles when it is cold before defoster will come on or let it idle for about 20 to 25 mins before it will work
    I called GM customer service after my TB had been in the dealership since July 1,2008. I explained what it had been doing and the dealership has assured me they contacted technical service and did everything they told them to do, but it still did not correct the problem. I did pay for the first repair, which was changing the outside sensor and wiring. I picked it up and about a week later, the same problem. From that time on , the dealership stayed in touch with GM tech support to try what they thought would fix it. Nothing did. Part after part was changed. I left the car there and checked in on it from time to time. They had no problem duplicating the problem, they just couldn't find the problem. In November, when I contacted customer service myself, they just couldn't believe my TB had been in the dealership for that long and not been fixed. It was not under warranty, it had expired by 2 months when the problem first came up. Like I said the outside temp went to -17 on a day when it was 98 outside. It then went up to 50. Of course the heater came on. When I picked up speed on the interstate, it would come back up to the real outside temp an start working. But, this was an off and on thing. Customer service has been in touch with the "field engineer" that was assigned to the case. Between the tech support and field engineer, they decided I should bring my TB to a different dealership, which they felt was more "qualifed" in the A/C dept. I did just that, but they told me it was the outside sensor and wiring, just like the previous dealership first told me in July of 08. I picked it up today and I still have my doubts about the A/C. Of course, it was way to cold to check the A/C to see if it would work correctly in the AUTO mode. I will have towait for warmer weather. I did not have to pay anything at all. They felt bad that it has been in dealership for over 6 months and no one could repair their automobile. Like I say, I paid the first time , but since that was not the problem, I have not paid for anything since that time. Why should I pay for parts or labor when they can't repair it? G. M has agreed with me and apologized the I have been with out a vehicle all this time. I mean I have not had it at all in 6 months. I did not bring it home for a day or two and bring it back. Everytime they replaced a part, they would test drive it and see for themselves it was not fixed. I was lucky enough to have an extra vehicle to drive. They did not supply me with a "loaner". I do not feel it has been repaired, but agreed to take it and try for a couple of weeks until the weather warms. I have seen many postings about this climate control problem with false readings for outside. I have told GM and both dealerships about it and they have told me they do not know of anyone else with the problem and told me I was a "one of kind" problem. I copied some of the postings and sent it in to them. I also told them to go online as I did and they would see it was quite common. Either they haven't checked or don't want to admit it is a big problem. At this point, I have paid no more and will wait a while longer. We will see........
  • mlehmltnmlehmltn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 trailblazer that has decided to only blow cold air on the driver's side and hot air on the passenger side. This is timely as we are preparing for a 1800 mile round trip this coming week. Has anyone had this problem and been able to fix it?
  • nremtp415nremtp415 Member Posts: 1
    I have experienced the same problem, no air out of the dash vents. I replaced the mode actuator located between the instrument stack and the glove box (had to use a come-along to pull a dash support over a hair to get the old one out and the new one in) and the control module (apparently only controls the fan) to no effect. I also tried the WD40 trick. There must be at least one more mode actuator somewhere in there? Does anyone know where it is and how to get to it?
    Thanks
  • dukes3dukes3 Member Posts: 1
    Have an 04 trailblazer, noticed today that the driver side is much warmer than the passenger side. Both are set at 60 degrees, the passenger side is much cooler the driver side doesn't seem to respond to the setting. Any ideas?
  • jgtrailblazerjgtrailblazer Member Posts: 1
    I also have an 04 trailblazer and I am having the EXACT same problem. I am hoping to find a solution too.
  • ticadooticadoo Member Posts: 40
    I had the same problem and am trying to remember what it was. Will have to check my service records. Although, after fixed, it still has its moments when the "blowing" is not the same througout all the vents...
  • binder1binder1 Member Posts: 1
    Heard a snap in the radio when I shut my 04 TB off and suprise!, I dont have vent control either. Glad I found this site. You folks have been alot of help. Believe I'll give the WD40 a try 1st. Let you know how I make out. Thanks.
  • motorcycledavemotorcycledave Member Posts: 5
    I have had the same problem with my '02. Did you ever find the problem? My TB started out reading 50 then it started giving my "ice possible" when it is 90 out. Of course this confusses the a/c. please help if you can
    After 6 months at a dealership that changed everything from the wiring to the compressor to the sensors, and the the main control unit, GM told me to take it to another dealership. I brought the TB to the other(larger)dealership and the first thing they did was change the outside sensor and the wiring that went to it. They kept it 2 weeks and drove it. They then called me and told me it was fixed. I have had it back for several months and I have never seen the 50 deg or "possible ice" message again. Here is South Louisiana, it has been well over 100 on a few occasions and it did, in fact, read 104 outside, which was accurate. I have had the first dealership call me to ask what the second one did to fix my A/C because they have had the same problem with someone else's TB. Other than replacing the outside sensor and wiring , that is all they told me. The dealership name is Trapp Chevrolet. They are located in Houma, La. Perhaps you can call them for more information. I know that the A/C now works. I hope you can get yours fixed a lot sooner than the 6 months that it took me.
  • motorcycledavemotorcycledave Member Posts: 5
    thanks for the info., I will try the simpliest thing first.
  • suzyruthsuzyruth Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 TB has cool ac but the knob that controls whether air comes out on floor, dashboard, or windshield vents does not work fine. The air will not come out of dashboard vents no matter where the knob is turned. This problem just started last week. Any hint to what I should do? Planning to visit beach next weekend. Please help!
  • suzyruthsuzyruth Member Posts: 2
    I did not connect this to my problem in previous post but after reading lots of the posts from others I wonder if it could be related...just started having this ac problem after having car jumped off & then battery replaced????
  • puffinboypuffinboy Member Posts: 2
    The heat works on the drivers side, but blows cold air on the passenger side. Stopped at dealer to get location on actuator to replace and see if that will solve problem. Other forums have mentioned the possibility of spraying wd40 inside but the dealer didn't think that was a good idea, saying it would gum up the vent. Any other ideas or has anyone had and solved this problem?
  • sharpie3sharpie3 Member Posts: 1
    Same thing here. I have a 2003 and we get heat out of the driver's side, but cold air out of the passenger side. About a month ago, I replaced the exterior sensor because it was stuck at 50 degrees.

What's the fix for the heat situation?

Thanks
  • reggiesdadreggiesdad Member Posts: 1
    same thing on mine...worked on 1 an 2....now not working at all...is the blower motor an expensive part to get?
  • matt1983matt1983 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 tb and the fan for the heat come on very low when i start the engine and i cannot control the fan speed. If i shut it off and start it back up it usually comes back on like it should. I also cannot get it to blow out on the feet i figured that would be a vacuum line but with this problem i have messed with anything. If anyone has a solution to this problem i would appreciate it.
  • cocowboycocowboy Member Posts: 1
    When the control is set to feet there is very little heat coming from the 'feet' vent on the drivers side. This is the 1st vehicle i've ever owned where the heat flow on the driver's side is so inadequate. When set to vent it works just fine. Is there an issue with the controls?
  • torch43torch43 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having problems with my a/c -heater contorls , after I replaced the battery , the vents stopped working and only the floor and defrost blow , Now i'm getting cold air on drivers side and hot on passangers , Also the a/c button and inside air curculating are acting screwy .Any suggestions. Thanks
  • wirenut2wirenut2 Member Posts: 9
    the dash vents on my 04 chevy tb are not working . I am getting cold air on the driver side floor and windsheild hot air on the pass. side out of the same vents with the temp. set at 60 can someone help.
    why would my abs light and my airbag light come on and stay on for 1 or 2 days after or during the time it is raining.On my 04 chevy tb ext
  • handlhandl Member Posts: 1
    I see similar posts back in 2009, but no solution posted. Did anyone have a solution? Thanks for any reply
    edited January 2011
    I also am having this problem with my speedometer chevy said to take to a dealer of course my dealer wants $110.00 to tell me that it is broke da I already know this chevy said they would pay if deemed a safety issue once again da if you don't know your speed is this not a safety issue. funny thing they will not reimburse me the the parts if i buy them and make the repairs myself yet they will pay the dealer to make repairs which they will charge any where from 400.00 to 500.00 to do Whats wrong with this picture.04 chevy tb
    yes I believe there are 3 door actuators in there I have the same problem but have not had the time to take the dash apart.
    I had time to make my own repairs it was real ez only cost me 5.00 and about 30 min of my time do not know why dealers wanted 400.to 450 to make this repair there is nothing to it.
  • lostmechaniclostmechanic Member Posts: 1
    wirenut2 how did you fix the broken speedometer?

also my ac blow cold on driver side and hot on the passenger side?

help me please
  • rggcarrggcar Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. The fan motor is ok, i think it may be the fan speed controler (ATC). I need to find it so i can test it.
  • lurc22lurc22 Member Posts: 1
    I had taken my 2006 trailblazer in for new tires, belts, brake fluid flush ect....when my car was returned to me, I had no heating/cooling and my display was not working. I questioned the service tech. he said my control panel had failed. What could have happened to this while in for service? I had no problem with my heating and colling prior to taking it in for servcie. Could it be not working for any other reason then failure? Should I hold the shop liable?
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    What else was done? What was the etc part? Anything to do with electronics?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    If this was with one of our dealerships, lurc22, we'd be happy to look into this further with you. Please let us know what we can do to be of assistance.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • markodakkarmarkodakkar Member Posts: 1
    I recently installed a new AC controller in my 2003 TB EXT. The front AC fan stays ON after I have shutdown the TB, even when I take the keys off. This situation does not always happen. In fact, when I took it to the dealer the fan would shut down after the unit was shut down and keys removed. Furtunately, I had to come back to check on the tail lights as the third brake light failed, and then the AC kept on after the unit was shut down.

The dealer took the unit in and couldn't figure out why this was happening. Later in the day, they called and said this was NORMAL as it was an upgrade in the programming of the AC system which would keep the AC fan on (in low speed) after the unit was shut down to reduce humidity in the system.

Anyone heard of this before or have seen this happen?

Do you believe the dealer's explanation?

I'm very concerned this would drain my battery or ever worse cause an electrical fire while I'm away.
  • smirnhoff79smirnhoff79 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any issues with their air conditioning line that runs from the front of the car all the way to the back. The dealership did work on the half recalled gas tank part the one they paid half and we paid the other half. They dropped the tank to do this and now I have a leak in the air conditioning line. They say it was rubbing on the frame but I think they did something wrong. This is going to cost over $500.00 to fix becuase of where the leak is.
    Oh and the gas tank piece didn't even fix the gague now they are saying it is my instrument panel and that is $400.00 so I am just keeping track of my miles and that is a pain!!!
  • racewalk40kracewalk40k Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 Trailblazer. Found out that the annoying ticking sound when you first turn truck on is the rear heat module.
    How do I get to it and how do I replace it??
    The ticking lasts for about 2 minutes then stops. Drives us nuts!!!
    Thanks,
    Nancy
  • squaddodd49squaddodd49 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 trailblazer and my A/C fan speed controls do not work. It stays on low and mostly only when I am driving. The a/c AND blower work for the rear seat unit but not the front. I need help with this issue soon before my drive to Florida in 2 weeks. I'm not sure if this is a blower issue or something else. Thanks for your help
  • jersybehrjersybehr Member Posts: 1
    My girl friend has a 2003 Trailblazer with manual controls and no rear evap. When the vehicle is started (doesn't matter if it is a cold or hot start) the AC blows cold for about 10 to 20 seconds, goes warm for 5 to 10 seconds and then blows cold the rest of the time when the truck is moving. At idle it only blows cool. I have by-passed the low pressure switch but the AC compressor still cuts out during that initial startup period.

Any input would be appreciated, Tim
  • kmgolden85kmgolden85 Member Posts: 2
    I bought an 04 trailblazer last summer and actually worked great..turned it on last week and it was warmer air..bought some freeon put it in but wouldn't take the whole can .. I noticed my temp said -33 degrees lol im in jersey no way its that cold..then it would jump back up to 49 when its 80 it wont go any higher then 49 but ill grt my ac back until it drops back down to negative .. what I wanna kno is there a way to reset to system before I change the sensor ?
  • medic93medic93 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2015

ejurik said:

Hi guys. I have trailblazer 04 (purchased new). First 2 years and 50,000 miles - now problem. After that: Engine start stoling now and then, few weeks later engine dyed on the highway @65MPH while towing the boat! Imediately lost of power stering, power breaks! I managed to stop and after few atempt started again and get lackily get home with constant power jump and few stoling. Went to dealer twice: first they replaced crank shaft actuator $550, next day(car stoling again)they replaced o2 sensor=$150! After that no more stoling but: 1 week later while changing the speed of the ac/heating fan it stop working and the same moment hapen foloving: ABS light-on;brake light-on;4WD light-on; cruise control not working; ilumination of driver door butons not working; unable to change the direction of air blow. NOW - after 10 -20 minutes of driving everything goes to normal until i stop and restart the car!!!??? I have been in service with this problem about 5 times, spent $1,250 (replaced 1 computer module)and theproblem is stil there???!!! Thas enyone have any idea what to doo? Please and Thank you.