Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot oil change

b2turbineb2turbine Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Honda
We have a 2007 Honda Pilot. Changed the oil for the first time. How is the dashboard warning reset? My OBD II computer program is a 2005 version and would not reset the warning.

Comments

• mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    You don't nee dthe ODB II tool to reset the maintenance light. It is in your owners manual.
  • b2turbineb2turbine Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info but we (my wife) lost the manual. Is there any other info you can give?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Plus someone will buy a used one and show up here in a few years searching for the answer since half the time the manuals are missing when you buy a used car.

So if people would just help out with an answer other than read the manual.... ;)
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    1. Turn the ignition on
    2. Press the select/reset knob until the engine oil life indicator is displayed.
    3. press the select/reset knob for more than 10 seconds. The engine oil life and the maintenance item codes will blink
    4. Press the select/reset know for more than 5 seconds. The maintenance item codes will disappear.

The knob is the same one you use for the trip-o-meter.
  • plchanplchan Member Posts: 66
    additionally, if you registered your car though the Honda Owner link, you can download the manual in PDF format as well.
  • dktntndktntn Member Posts: 1
    Is anybody strictly following the honda pilot oilminder for his or her oil change? I have an 06 pilot EXL and I have been going by the oilminder for my oil changes. However, I'm not comfortable because it's been almost 6 mo. since my last oil change and the oilminder still says 50% oil life. I'm used to the 3 mo./3000K routine so I'm just afraid this might damage my vehicle.
  • local817local817 Member Posts: 4
    timing belt replacement -05 pilot w / 93,077 miles
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Check this out: Maintenance Schedule. Also, try posting your question in Honda Pilot Maintenance and Repair.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    I too have an 06 EXL 4WD and have been following the service minder. I feel comfortable going by it. At the same time that I bought my Pilot, a friend of mine bought an 06 Accord. His use is mostly freeway so he gets his oil change minder on about 7-8000 miles, vs. my Pilot's use is mostly city and we get the oil minder much sooner. On the other hand, I also have an 08 Accord that I do mostly fwy commute with it and I have noticed the oil life gauge does not go down as fast as the Pilot. It sounds like your use is mostly freeway too. The manual says that if you don't get to 15% within a year you should change your oil once a year.
  • absavabsav Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 pilot with 60k and everything is in fine running shape. I've been reading good things about Shell Rotella 15-40w oil. Has anyone used this product in their Pilot or any other vehicle?
  • joemama33joemama33 Member Posts: 26
    That weight oil is good for marine gas engines and truck diesels. Too thick for the 2.5L.

Try 5W-20 Mobil One for the best perfomance/longevity, IMO.

As always, YMMV.
  • absavabsav Member Posts: 5
    If this oil is made in a thinner state would it work? At this time I use it in my motorcycles with no problems. Thanks for your input.
  • alspilotalspilot Member Posts: 5
    I have the same problem.
    I change the oil before the light comes on. The dealer won't do it until the 20% light comes on so I do it myself now. When the light comes on you can reset the code light.
    I am still looking for a list of all the different codes and what they stand for.
This discussion has been closed.