Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Transmission Problems

124»

Comments

• mrjohnbmrjohnb Member Posts: 9
    Greywolf,
    I pretty much had the same issue.
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news.
    Cost me $2600.00

Good Luck
    John
  • greywolf123greywolf123 Member Posts: 2
    Ughhh... Hope drive train is still covered. I think it is to 100,000 mi.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    greywolf123,

If you would like for us to check into your warranty information or help you get set up with a dealership, we're available. Please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, the last 8digits of your VIN and mileage, and a brief summary of the situation so far for the agent answering the email).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • yukoncorneliusyukoncornelius Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading threads on tranny sounds on Yukons and I there are so many I could spend the next month doing only just that and never finish. Wow.

I recently purchased a 2002 Yukon XL 1500 4x4...132,000 miles. First day I drove it (online purchase) I discovered a whirring noise from under the console. THe noise whirrs a little bit on accelertaing, but it is worse on letting off the gas at any speed. Of course, I can really hear it when I let off the gas under 45 mph. It will whirr even if I let off the gas at 10 mph. Doesn't really matter what speed. The noise stops instantly when I put it into neutral. Doesn't whirr in park or neutral, moving or stopped. Once I get to the stop sign or red light and stop, the noise quits. It also quits as soon as I apply a little gas. The sound is almost like new tires buzzing on flat asphalt.

Any ideas?
  • notsohappy7notsohappy7 Member Posts: 1
    Is the Transmission issue with the 05's? I have a 2005 GMC Denali XL and the transmission is going bad. 2 weeks ago the ignition fell apart inside the steering when when I got to work and now this. I have always bought GM vehicles and I've never had a problem out of all 8 of my GM vehicles that I've ever owned. I had a 2003 Denali XL and never experienced a problem. Anyone if GM plans on recalling these transmissions or helping out with the cost of replacing them? My husband has a 2006 Mercedes which had a transmission problem last year and Mercedes and the dealship paid to have the transmission replaced.
  • waldo2444waldo2444 Member Posts: 1
    just paid a $3250 bill for a transmission for my 2007 gmc yukon xl with 73000 miles.i bought it new and always maintained it as scheduled even stuck $850 into it 11000 miles ago for preventive maintenance including a tranny flush and new filter.accelerating from city to highway driving without any warning "bang" and it jumps into neutral.i got it rolling again to nurse it home the last 60 miles taking it directly to the dealer.3 days later service writer called and said $2700 for a rebuild or $3250 for a new one.i talked to the gmc distict rep about the reliablity of the vehicle and how it was always serviced never stuck ,plowed snow or towed a heavy trailer.he offered me a 15000 mile service package" whoopee".i wasnt interested as i plan to replace the vehiicle soon. do you think it will be another gmc? should have took that $850 i stuck in preventive dollars and bought a extended warranty policy.
  • ash55ash55 Member Posts: 1
    THAT IS YOUR CARRIER BEARING, AND/OR YOUR FRONT DIFFERENTIAL NEEDS A RING AND PINION JOB. I HAVE A 04 YUKON DENALI AND MINE HAS THE SAME PROBLEM AND I FOUND SOMEONE TO DO BOTH FOR $725 . WHICH IS NOTHING COMPARED TO THE DEALERS $1800 AND $2400 PRICES. IT COSTS ABOUT $500 TO DO THE CARRIER BEARING, MIGHT AS WELL JUST PAY A COUPLE HUNDRED MORE AND GET THE DIFFERENTIAL DONE AS WELL. GOOD LUCK.
  • blitzmnblitzmn Member Posts: 1
    Like so many others, my transmission failed on my 07 Yukon. 56,000 miles - well under the 100,000 mark and less than 2 years past the 5 yr warranty. $3200 to replace.
    After a week and a half and 4 different reps telling me they are contniuing the escalate my case, GM came back with $0 in assistance....but they did offer free oil changes tire rotations for 2 years....great.
    This will be my last GM purchase. Professional Grade? Not so much...
  • kirk58kirk58 Member Posts: 2
    HI
    I have a 2007 Yukon XL, 5.3L, 4Wheel drive (rarely used) and I recently took it to my dealer in Las Vegas for strange noises/delays when switching between 2 and 4wheel and engaging the transmission. They said it was the transfer case, it was gone and needed all new guts, fixed under Vehicle One warranty which was due to expire with a few hundred miles! I was happy. 4,000 miles later, Transmission blows up, not repairable they say, needs a new one at $4200! I said you need to talk to Vehicle One, this is related to my complaint when I brought it you 4k miles ago. Vehicle One says no, out of warranty. Service manager is now working his way up the chain within Vehicle One, trying to establish these are related, they need to Goodwill this or do something. But its not looking good.

I have Vehicle One's rep number in the Las Vegas Area, anyone got a winning strategy on getting Vehicle One to just fix it?

[This car was bought at 64K from the servicing dealer, all service there, all the proper scheduled maintenance. I bought a 50K Vehicle One warranty covering me to 114K. All highway miles in 2 wheel drive, 4 or 5 towing trips between Vegas and LA, 4 or 5 times in 4 wheel (no trailer) due to mountain snow]
  • scamutzscamutz Member Posts: 5
    95,000 - heard a couple of clunks - then nothing. I was able to get it moving enough to get off of the main road by pressing the traction control button - rebuilt GM tranny - $3200. Ugh!
  • kirk58kirk58 Member Posts: 2
    Well the final answer from Vehicle One warranty was no, 4k past warranty is past warranty even though you complained about tranny under warranty. GM stepped up and offered me 3K in "customer cash" to cover part of the repair IF I bought a new GM vehicle in stock at the dealer.

Solution, I traded it in on an Acura MDX with tow package with add on 120,000 $0 deductible warranty.

Bummer, I loved my truck but it was a money pit!
  • frontrangefrontrange Member Posts: 1
    I've read every post in this thread because I just purchased a 2001 Yukon XL 1500 4WD with 235,000 miles. Previous owner just sunk $1300.00 in the transmission at an independent shop (1 yr, 12,000 mile warranty already expired), plus another $650.00 having the transfer case rebuilt. Looking at old paperwork, looks like the xfer case may have been rebuilt at least 3 times over the years. So I am going to be keeping an eye on that and changing the special synthetic fluid on a regular basis.

However, concerning the transmission, the problems with the 4L60E are very well known. One common problem is a check ball that sticks in the separator plate in the valve body causing issues with the 2-4 band that makes it slip and burn up. Other issues in the valve body (and sometimes the sun shell) cause problems with the 3-4 clutch pack too.

Most or all of these problems can be fixed with a Transgo shift kit. It is made to solve exactly these problems. It will NOT fix burned up clutch packs or bands, but if installed while still operating reasonably well, the transmission will probably last 150,000 miles or more. I will be installing this kit ASAP (2-3 hours install time plus some tranny fluid and a filter) and won't worry about it again. If you are reading this thread and wondering what to do, I highly recommend you install the Transgo kit, it is the best way to ensure the longest life of your 4L60E (basically an electronic version of the 700R4).

Full disclosure: I worked for Transgo in the early 80's, but haven't had any contact with them for more than 15 years.

Steve
  • jamesbessjamesbess Member Posts: 1
    Hello all
    I have a 2004 Yukon XL 113k tranny is shifting high when going into second gear also i see trans fluid in my driveway. Any ideas what that may be don't want to play the rebuild game if possible?

Thanks

James
  • 2mills22mills2 Member Posts: 1

My 2007 Yukon just had a total transmission failure with no warning. This is a vehicle that was maintained at the dealer for everything and in fact the transmission had been serviced recently. It has only 88,000 miles and has never been a tow vehicle. The dealer mechanic told me this is "to be expected" on this vehicle/model and that GM would not give me any help on paying for it. I am very disappointed since I come from a family that has only purchased GM products for my entire life. I will think twice now before purchasing a GM product.

• daymeandaymean Member Posts: 1

My 2001 Yukon out of nowhere I stoped then took off my rpms would excelerate but it wouldn't pick up speed then I put in reverse it didn't work I turned it off for a few the turned back on reversed worked but when it warmed up it did it again dose anyone have a idea what to do

• d3kd3k Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2014

I posted this in the GMC Electrical issues forum but I'm curious if the source of some of these issues have been found. We have a 2007 Yukon Denali XL. When I come to a stop, my car often slips into neutral. When I try and go again, it either won't go, starts in a much higher gear, or it will start going and won't shift. I've had the transmission valve replaced last year after we had a stuck solenoid. This is only an issue at low speeds or start/stop. Sometimes it won't go into reverse or will be okay in reverse but won't shift into drive. It helps to turn it off and take the key out AND open the driver's door, then restart. The driver's door seems to trigger something that helps it reset.
    I called our local GM dealership for an appointment and they told me it was a transmission issue. Since we had poor service from them last time, we opted to go elsewhere. We took it to a well known and reputable transmission shop who did a complete tear-down and they said the transmission is fine. They suspect it's an electrical issue. We are actually having a LOT of electrical issues with the vehicle. So I'm wondering if any of you with suspected transmission issues determined later it was an electrical problem? I can't get anyone at our local GM Dealership to answer or call back and the Chevy dealership can't get us in for a week. They also told us they'd never heard of this and we should just put in a new transmission. I don't want to spend $4000 (the quote for the new transmission) for it to be another issue altogether. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• dglantondglanton Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 GMC Yukon SLE SUV 5.3 I have had some bump noise while sitting still, now my GMC does not want to shift out of 2nd gear unless I let off of the gas, dosn"t seam to change gears after that, can someone please give me some pleasing news on to what the problem may be, I have had the filter changed, there was some metal shavings in the fluid.
    I was involved in an accident, to where I was hit in the rear end ,the vehicle that hit me was under my back bumper, and my spear tire was pushed toward the front, just would like to know if this could have caused this problem.or added to the problem.
    Thanks Dglanton
  • ukondoitukondoit Member Posts: 28
    04YukonXLDenali - After 170K miles, the tranny developed a sloppy slow shift between 3rd and 4th. This transmission's weakness is the Sun Shell (reaction shell). I found a very reliable trans shop in Merrifield VA (they were great) and they rebuilt this with HD Hardened Sun Shell, shift kit, tow package etc. Beautiful job. It's obvious that these SUVs all have the same issues and it's quite common since there were 4 GMC/Chev Suburban/XL' on the lot at the same time.
  • ukondoitukondoit Member Posts: 28
    Transmission Service vs Fluid Exchange (Flush) - What's your take on this. I have a 2011 with 60K miles and the dealer says do the "Fluid Exchange" (flush) and do not do the traditional transmission service (drop pan, replace filter, reinstall trans pan and fill with fluid. This last process leaves a lot of old fluid in the torque converter and cooler lines. What do you all think about trans flush?
  • rosietbearrosietbear Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, I'm new to the forum.. Have a question here, can a 1999 yukon tranny go into a 2003 yukon both are XL's.
  • TREWluvTREWluv Member Posts: 1
    3rd gear quit in my 2004 Yukon Denali. $1,900.00 and 3 rebuilds later found out that its a faulty ignition switch that is causing electrical issues which is making 3rd and 4th gear miss. Waiting for the part to come in. keeping my fingers crossed that it will solve the problem. I will keep you posted.
  • mrbill21mrbill21 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2016
    I have a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali with 6.0 and towing Package Bought used in April 2016 with 150000 miles has been fine no transmission slipping or other issues Today 11/29/2016 while going up a hill at approx. 55 MPH felt like trans was downshifting but instead of different gear it went to nothing no forward or reverse gears it is like the truck was put in neutral trans fluid is clean not burnt and full there is a slight growling noise like a dry transmission pump from transmission area oil is clean and full has trans temp gauge has never run hot or slipped or given any indication of problems until tonight when it left me sitting on the side of the road radiator is a little low but found slight leak at heater core line no mixing of trans fluid and antifreeze (Pink Milkshake)the only code present is the old faithful gas cap code because of charcoal canister purge leak but cant fix that because the spare tire lift will not drop the spare tire to get to it(that being another nightmare all together as well as paint falling off any ideas where to begin for a disabled Veteran that has been living on disability since coming home after being hurt in Iraq in 2005 VIN last 8:5J146922

• dbrown9378dbrown9378 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 GMC Yukon, and at 159000 the transmission is jerking when you drive, shifts rough when changing gears and even when driving at 70 mpu it's jerks. Took to have transmission flush and it worked fine for a day but now doing the same thing. It's funny that GMC did not issue recalls on the most unreliable transmissions they placed in these vehicles. They don't want to take responsibility for this problem, but they created they placed defective parts in the Yukons and the owners are left with a huge repair bill especially if it's outside of the warranty and that is usually the case.
  • Jetset53Jetset53 Member Posts: 1
    What we all need to do, is all of us hire 1 dang good attorney and sue GMC. When there's thousands of people having the same problem, GMC needs to fix it.