Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Water Leaks

dkpdkp Member Posts: 2
edited December 2013 in Toyota
My 2002 Sienna has water pooling in the front passenger side. We pulled up some of the front carpet and it's soaking beyond the passenger side. We need to find out where the water is coming from. It correlates to rain, but we tried hosing the passenger door and front windshield but didn't see any water coming in. Anyone have a similar problem?

Comments

• rayngal619rayngal619 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem. Took it to a dealership and they are saying they can't get it to leak and don't know where it is coming from. Did you ever get resolution to your leak?
  • dkpdkp Member Posts: 2
    We're still working on figuring this out. So far, we have removed the carpeting from the entire car to dry it out. It was soaking wet from front to back. We're driving without carpeting now and can more easily observe what is going on. We suspect that the water is getting in from the rear hatch, and sloshing around to cause everything to be wet. Rainy days are more helpful than the hose test. But the hose test in the rear hatch seemed to show a little water getting in...but possibly most of the water is hidden between the door and plastic molding and only becomes visible when the car is in motion. If you find out anything, let me know and I'll do the same. Good luck!
  • jimleejimlee Member Posts: 1
    We got an 05 sienna that just started having a fruity, rotten smell coming from the dash vents. It worst when we first use the van and then seems to get better after driving awhile, but still there. I have checked the interior filter behind the glove box and although it's not that clean it doesn't smell bad, any ideas? heater core leak? Fluid in radiator overflow is mid range between hi/low.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    My Miata has that smell, though it's much older, 1993 model. Someone suggested spraying in Lysol in the cowl intake with the fan on high in the fresh air mode.

Haven't tried it yet, though.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    My wife's cars always develop a kind of stale-air smell because she leaves the interior circulation on all the time. From what I understand, the car should almost always bring in outside air initially.

I usually let my automatic climate control decide how to do those things and none of my cars have had a similar problem.
    Yep. Fresh air also lets is breathe when parked, I was told once.
  • spdsk8trspdsk8tr Member Posts: 1
    I have exactly the same problem on my 2004 Sienna -- water pooling in the front passenger side + MEGA-mold. :mad:

The hose test works for me. I removed the rug, and can see the water trickling down right behind the wire harness by the door. I can't tell where it is getting in, though (yet).

I'll let you know when I have it figured out.
  • bearlurkerbearlurker Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the exact same problem on my 2000 Sienna XLE -- water pooling on the front passenger and driver sides.

Anyone have any success in addressing this problem?
  • carpool6carpool6 Member Posts: 2
    I too have water leaking into the front drivers and passenger side of my 2001 Sienna. Turns out that there is an A/C vent located in the rear quarter panel of the van, that can be cracked if any one backs into your bumper there. We found out the hard way after our neighbor hit our van, the body shop repaired the damage to the body but did not replace and reseal the vent that had been cracked they just glued it back into place
    Water has leaked in for the past five months, pooling up to a half of an inch in the front of the vehicle. My carpet and interior are now trashed over a $67.00 vent.
    This took hours of research by a competent dealer, no body shop including the one that did the repair would look at this problem. Finally no more leak, I hope to save any one else the expense.
  • carpool6carpool6 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same issue, it was an A/C vent located in the rear quarter panel. If someone backs into the van it can crack. when it rains the water leaks in and travels/pools to the front of the vehicle. The part costs around $67.00 to replace
  • retiredcatretiredcat Member Posts: 2
    Carpool6 can you tell me which side the A/C vent is on? Was water pooling on both sides about the same ? I am getting driver side pooling and had rear hatch door replaced after accident so maybe I need to have that checked out also. :confuse:
  • jl5298jl5298 Member Posts: 2
    WoW! So glad I found this forum.

I have a 2000 Sienna, and have run into the same problem. Got
    into the van a week ago and though the kids had spilled something.

Only to find it kept getting worse the next day. Pulled the carpet back on the drivers side and was horrified at the stench. Then saw that it was on the pass
    side as well. Haven't pulled the seats out yet, but I did the hose thing while the
    heater was running, and didn't see any leaks. Baffled, I got out of the van, and noticed water dripping on the side that has the rear heater core monted just under front passenger seat.

I've alread recieved a new interior carpet from www.custominteriors.com. NOT CHEAP. $310.00 after S&H. But I had only assumed it's from a bad rear heater core. Thanks for the rear A/C probability . . . I'll keep everybody informed. :cry:
  • jl5298jl5298 Member Posts: 2
    Well, once I removed the now ruined carpet, I put a hose on the roof and WALLAH!

Water running directly in from the rear door seal. Off to the body shop I go.

Good luck to all.
  • cardsfancardsfan Member Posts: 1
    A friend found this site and told me about it. WoW.
    I have an 04 Sienna that started leaking this past January.First on the passenger side and then both . I think it has to do with how your van is sitting when it rains. It also leaks when driving in the rain. Sometimes drips out of handles above the doors.
    Toyota tells me I'm the first to ever complain. Ya right. Would cost me several hundred in labor to remove head liner etc. etc. Of course I'm out of warrenty. Thanks for the possibllity of things to check. If I ever find an answer I will post.
    Cardsfan
  • honshuhonshu Member Posts: 11
    Just out Curiosity, I hope that they have fixed the leak problem for the 2008 models.
  • siennastresssiennastress Member Posts: 1
    Where is the AC vent located. Is it accessible by a non mechanic? I've had the interior panel off, exposing the rear ac unit. The evaporation hose does not seem to be clogged (dealer theory). No visible water inside (carpet up) when hose runs over and under car. Couldn't pin down dealer for price to find leak. Local mechanic unclogged sunroof drains which seems to have stopped front driver side water, but rear padding still getting wet after being replaced. How do you get to the AC vent seal?
  • dooper67dooper67 Member Posts: 26
    Just noticed water on floor. Probably rain leak. Going to dealer (Bredemann - Park Ridge, IL) today. Hopefully it is a clogged drain.
    Jerry
  • dooper67dooper67 Member Posts: 26
    They said it was an a/c plugged drain and a leaking o-ring. Needed to re-charge system. 300 bucks. I think that's the first repair in 5 years (70k), so I'm still happy with the Sienna. Hoping for 150k or 10 years.
    Jerry
  • siennaallwetsiennaallwet Member Posts: 2
    Greetings, and HELP!

Just had one heck of a down-pouring of rain, and went in to my van and found water running steadiily out of the Garage Door remote-control button panel in the ceiling, and pouring down into the cup holder of the console between the front two seats. When I moved the van into shelter, water sloshed up within the ceiling somewhere, and even more water gushed out of the panel.

I've never had the problem before (purchased the van new in 2003) whether the van was standing or going 70mph down the highway in a down-pour.

Can anyone help me trouble-shoot this? I''ve called the local Toyota dealer but not gotten a knowledgeable reply - likely need to "open it up".

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
  • jlr6jlr6 Member Posts: 2
    Ah! My van was hit in the right rear... however the water is collecting in the back trunk area. From what you've seen behind that panel could water also go down instead of forward? Are there any instructions anywhere on how to take the panels off without breaking them?
    Thanks much.
  • jlr6jlr6 Member Posts: 2
    Well, found it. When they replaced the fender they did not re-insert the drain tube from the a/c system so it was hanging inside the trunk. :D
  • siennaallwetsiennaallwet Member Posts: 2
    Problem Solved.

Had replaced the windshield several months ago. Seal at top of windshield leaked - possibly due to rapidly cooling the windshield with air conditioned air when starting up on a very hot day.

Resealed the windshield, and the leak is now gone.

:)
    Glad to hear both of you sorted those issues out. :shades:
  • 12051205 Member Posts: 6
    Over the past few weeks I have noticed the rear storage area carpet in my '04 Sienna is wet in areas and there is a small amount of mold now growing in a couple areas. For the life of me I cannot figure out what is leaking. Rear door? Window seals? Have water tested and found nothing so far.
    Anyone else had this problem? Suggestions?
    Do you have a moonroof?

Also, make sure the drains under the door jambs are clear, so water can drain out from your rocker panels. I think the holes are near the jacking points.
  • 12051205 Member Posts: 6
    Yes, we have a moon roof but have never noticed a problem with it. The carpet at the liftgate area is the only dampness we have ever noticed in the van which has basically been a great van but I could live without the mold!!!
  • JOEE78JOEE78 Member Posts: 7
    MY 2002 TOYOYA SIENNA HAS A BAD WATER LEAK,AFTER A COUPLE WEEKS OF WINTER RAIN STORMS,THE FRONT CARPETS ARE SOAKED BELOW THE FLOOR MATS,THE CAR HAS NO SUNROOF,AND IT ONLY LEAKS OR SHOWS SIGNS OF THIS WHEN PARKED FLAT IN MY DRIVEWAY.AFTER CHECKING,WATER TESTING,REMOVING KICK PANELS I DON'T SEE ANY WATER DRIPPING FROM UNDER DASH AREA'S ON EITHER FRONT SIDE OF CAR.THIS SHOWS AFTER HEAVY/DRIVING RAINS.AFTER SEEING HOW SOAKED IT WAS THIS PAST WEEKEND,I PULLED UP THE FRONT CARPETS AND FRONT SEATS TO SEE ITS SOAKED INTO REAR OF VAN,SO NOW I'M
    WONDERING IF LEAK ISNT FROM FRONT UNDER DASH,BUT FROM REAR AND ROLLING FORWARD TO FRONT.THE DEALER DIDN'T SEEM TO KNOW
    ABOUT THIS,OR HEARD OF REAR A/C VENT CAUSING THIS,OR FRESH AIR DUCT.WHERE ARE THESE LOCATED?I CHECKED REAR A/C DRAIN AND ITS OK.NO WATER IN R/R QUARTER PANEL WHERE THIS LOCATED.
    THIS IS A MESS.WELL I'M REMOVING SEATS/CARPETS TO LEAK TEST FURTHER.
    DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS?WHERE/WHAT WAS IS?
    NOW THAT THE WINTERS HEAR,SEND HELP.
    THANKS
    JOEE78
  • Water_SiennaWater_Sienna Member Posts: 1
    I have '04 Sienna LE. We were very happy with the vehicle till 6 months ago. When we first saw water inside the storage area, we thought we spilled it. Then we noticed the water on every small rain. Took the vehicle to the dealer. They said replaced and sealed the o-rings and washers in the hatch. It did not work. They checked the a/c ducting and found nothing. Later they directed us to the body shop. Body shop replaced the hinges and bolts in the rear hatch. It appeared to be solved the problem. Last week rain again broght the water in side.

Body shop wants to check thouroughly and investigate?

Please inform me if you find this problem fixed.

Thanks
  • ralkaralka Member Posts: 72
    could come from under the hatch weatherstrip and rolling under the carpets forward
  • timchi1timchi1 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find an answer? I am having the same problem with a 2001 Sienna. Water is getting under the carpet and seems to be concentrated in the back passenger side of the car. Have taken the carpet out twice now and water tested the car but can’t seem to figure our were or how it is getting in,

Thanks
    YES,
    AFTER EXTENSIVE WATER TESTING,WE FOUND LEAK WAS FROM REAR
    DOOR,THE REAR HATCH DOOR,SO WE REPLACED THE PERIMETER SEAL THAT GOES AROUND THE REAR DOOR,THE TECH WHO REPALCED THE SEAL SAW TOYOTA HAS CHANGED THE DESIGN,SO THEY MUST BE AWARE
    OF PROBLEM AND LEAKS FROM REAR DOOR.
    IT WAS HARD TO FIND SINCE WATER POOLED UNDER FRONT FLOOR MATS,
    SINCE THE WATER WAS RUNNING UNDERNEATH BODY PAN AND TO FRONT OF CAR.THE LAST WEEK WE HAD HEAVY RAINS,AND NO LEAKS,YEAH!
    GOOD LUCK,HOPE THIS HELPS
    JOE.
  • abbachiaabbachia Member Posts: 2
    Wow!! Cant believe I found this. I got a 03 Sienna from a family member and the van reeks of mold. Didn't take long to figure the carpets were soaked. First realized that the rear carpet padding was wet. I am going to assume the problem was similar to yours as the further up i get the less wet the padding is (as best as I can tell without pulling the carpet). Now all I have to do is pull the carpet and let it dry and clean the mold smell out. Any tips on pulling the carpet? Did you have remove any interior trim or just the seats?
  • car5608car5608 Member Posts: 2
    We have one of the 1st 04's made. I have also noticed water in the rear seat storage area only after it has been out in the rain. Did Toyota cover the cost of the replacement? Ours is way out of warrenty. We have also had issues with automatic side door cable breaking and they wanted $2500 to repair. We just paid $400 to have them fix a cable so that it would stay in park. We were hoping to get well over 100K miles, but its not looking good.

Thanks,

George
    MY WATER LEAK WAS FROM THE REAR DOOR,THE SEAL AROUND THE REAR DOOR,AND WE SEE TOYOTA HAS CHANGED THE DESIGN.
    OUR CAR IS OUT OF WARRANTY SO WE PAID.
    I HAVEN'T HAD TROUBLE WITH SLIDING DOORS,SO I CAN'T HELP
    YA THERE.
    WATER TEST THE REAR DOOR/HATCH FOR LEAKS,IF IT LEAKS IN THERE THE WATER WILL GET UDER THE CARPET AND ROLL TO THE FRONT SINCE THE FLOOR PAN IS LEVEL.
    REMOVE THE SEATS AND SOME TRIM AND LAY THE CARPET ON A CLOTHES LINE TO DRY OUT.
    GOOD LUCK
  • philobrien99philobrien99 Member Posts: 2
    I meant, "Dealer only", not "sealer only" ... freudian slip

thank you so much Joe for this info, I can't believe it was posted so specifically! I've got the EXACT same symptoms on my 2000 Sienna, water pooling , severely I (I'm in Seattle ....) on both sides of the front floor. In investigating it, I was very puzzled by the amount of water leaking out the rear hatch door when it was lifted. Now it seems clear why! Is the seal replacement a "Dealer only" option, or do you think there could be a home remedy? Thanks again for posting
  • jmbuddiesjmbuddies Member Posts: 6
    Hi there, I also have the same problem with water leak, I have a 2002 Sienna also, and have been in talks back and forth between the dealer and Toyota Corporation (800-331-4331). The thing with mold you can't get rid of it completely, especially behind the carpet is a spongy material, it will always stay there, you have to replace the entire carpet. Just spoke with my dealer and they want me to pay for it ($2100) yes...ouch!!!!)
    Listen folks, this is without a doubt, a manufacturing defect and a severe health issue, and they are refusing to pay for it. We are talking about a serious health issue here, in some cases it sends people to the hospital if not death. That's why I am standing the ground and making these people pay for it, IT'S THEIR PROBLEM AND YOU SHOULD NOT PAY FOR IT.
    I've noticed a patern, they all deny that the problem exists with other customers, here's the classic -"nothing is in our database about this problem". Then why in the world Toyota re-designed the rear hatch seal????? ( maybe they were just boured...and woke up one day, "hey, lets design something different today!!! WOW!)
    I had this leak problem since I bought the van 2 years ago, now it's unbearable smell of mold and rotting smell of death! I've had it with this people, if they don't fix it I am t :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: aking them to court. Guess what, they will pay a lot more than a mere carpet and a seal! Please contact the Toyota Corporation at the number above, if enough people make noise, maybe, just maybe, they'll do something. Please pass the word around, these water leak problems that I've read in posts similar to this one, reports problems from years '98 to '06. I feel bad for these folks, because they are stuck with it and not knowing what to do. (You would think, that the great TOYOTA would help you...NOT!) Hope this helps.
    Hi there, I also have the same problem with water leak, I have a 2002 Sienna also, and have been in talks back and forth between the dealer and Toyota Corporation (800-331-4331). The thing with mold you can't get rid of it completely, especially behind the carpet is a spongy material, it will always stay there, you have to replace the entire carpet. Just spoke with my dealer and they want me to pay for it ($2100) yes...ouch!!!!)
    Listen folks, this is without a doubt, a manufacturing defect and a severe health issue, and they are refusing to pay for it. We are talking about a serious health issue here, in some cases it sends people to the hospital if not death. That's why I am standing the ground and making these people pay for it, IT'S THEIR PROBLEM AND YOU SHOULD NOT PAY FOR IT.
    I've noticed a patern, they all deny that the problem exists with other customers, here's the classic -"nothing is in our database about this problem". Then why in the world Toyota re-designed the rear hatch seal????? ( maybe they were just boured...and woke up one day, "hey, lets design something different today!!! WOW!)
    I had this leak problem since I bought the van 2 years ago, now it's unbearable smell of mold and rotting smell of death! I've had it with this people, if they don't fix it I am taking them to court. Guess what, they will pay a lot more than a mere carpet and a seal! Please contact the Toyota Corporation at the number above, if enough people make noise, maybe, just maybe, they'll do something. Please pass the word around, these water leak problems that I've read in posts similar to this one, reports problems from years '98 to '06. I feel bad for these folks, because they are stuck with it and not knowing what to do. (You would think, that the great TOYOTA would help you...NOT!) Hope this helps. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    YES , they should take care of it.It seems the dealer isn't too good at diagnosing
    it and the problem lingers on.it took acouple of years of this reacurring problem to get bad enough where i had to have someone else diagnose and repair leak from rear hatch.hanging carpet out to dry,and spraying with lysol the floor and carpets nuetralized the odor.i did notice with the carpet removed up in the front floor boards,area's rusted from this since ,off and on for awhile i noticed a odor,musty
    and moldy at times,little did i know i had water below my feet.
    well good luck with getting Toyota to step up and Fix.
    LET US ALL KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT.

'
  • abbachiaabbachia Member Posts: 2
    I have yet to find the time to get the rear seal fixed. What I HAVE done is I've pulled the carpet out and put it in my shed to dry out. I the meantime I put the carpet mats back in. You almost don't notice that the the carpet is not there. Now when it leaks it doesn't get trapped under the carpets and it dries and doesn't get moldy. I know its a short term solution but its getting the job done for now.

I cannot imagine ever getting the mold smell out of the carpet so even after the rear seal is fixed I will probably leave it like this until you guys convince Toyota to pay for new carpeting.
  • evaleeevalee Member Posts: 1
    I have had a similar problem. Over a year ago I was hit from behind and had to have the rear bumper replaced. Starting last summer the inside of our van started having a bad smell. I attributed it to 3 kids and 8 years of use. This spring the front driver’s side carpet became soaked after heavy rains, following by the front passenger side.

I went back to the body shop that replaced the bumper and showed them that the back door was out of alignment and that water was leaking in. They fixed it. I then removed all the seats and the carpet and found that the entire carpet was soaking wet. While we are drying it out, it appears that water is still getting in somehow. I am not sure where to look next. From this thread it appears that it could be the rear AC panel. Did this finally fix the problem for you?
    Thxs
    Evalee
  • wireyourworldwireyourworld Member Posts: 1
    Yep same problem. I had purchased a used 2003 Sienna. I use it for craft shows in the winter here which is a dry season. Van had been sitting in the drive for 3 months and I just pulled it around to get ready for "season" and found it soaked in the front, both sides under the carpet. Pulled out all my display and sure enough the back was damp too though the front was REALLY soaked (its rainy season now, raining almost daily). Too much mold already so I removed and tossed the carpet, figure since the seats are stored in the barn anyway, I'll just throw down plywood as a floor. Had my SO run a hose over the vehicle and sure enough the water was coming from around the liftgate weatherstripping, and draining toward the front, underneath the carpet.

To all, correct terminology is a great thing when searching for parts and infromation. Its a liftgate, not a hatch or a door. Its not a seal, its a weatherstrip. The weatherstrip can be located online for $60-$70 and replaced by yourself. You can buy a reasonable replica of the carpet on ebay for about $250, and if you've already torn it up, you know it won't be that hard to lay down. Most important thing to worry about is how to correctly disengage the airbag system so when your fiddling around the front seats, replacing your carpet, you don't blow your airbags.

Cynthia
  • gail17gail17 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 Sienna and I am the original owner. Water leaks for approx last two years. I'm not sure how it's getting in and pools in the back area only, after a heavy rain. I have taken it to the dealer twice now and it is still a problem. The back padding is destroyed and the bolts which bolt the rear seats are rusted. The first dealer visit was a couple of years ago and they said it was the moonroof, not resolved...The last dealer said all the roof rack seals needed replacing 300 some bucks later the water is still coming in that back area. I'm thankful for the info in this forum and am hoping to resolve the leak with some of this information behind me. Off to the dealer today..again. I'm thankful it has finally rained here in San Antonio but not for this AGAIN....
    SINCE IT DOESN'T RAIN MUCH,THE DEALER,BODYSHOP SHOULD BE
    ABLE TO PRESSURE WASH VAN TO SEE HOW WATER IS GETTING
    INSIDE.EVEN THESE NEW CAR WASHES THAT USE HIGH PRESSURE
    WATER(NO BRUSHES) WOULD BE STARTING POINT TO LOCATE ENTRY
    POINT OF WATER,REAR HATCH PERIMETER SEAL IS A KNOW PROBLEM
    AND WATER WOULD LAY IN BACK,SHOULD BE EASY TO LOCATE LEAK WITH A PRESSURE WASHER.
    GOOD LUCK.
    JOE
    Hi All,

Sorry I took that long to respond, just in the last couple months I have come to the bottom of this problem (at least I thought) and I know a lot of you are anxious for the fidings so here is:

After countless trips to the dealer, (I told them next to that, I will move in, set up my sleeping bag right in the showroom) they decided to pay to replace the entire carpet and door hatch seal (this seal goes on the body of van in the perimeter of hatch door) their cost of $2,100 (sorry I really don't feel their pain...) after job was done , they were very proud of their work and called me to pick up my van. I asked them again if it leaks, "oh no, we ran water over it for hours, it's bone dry" -they answered. So I went home and...I just had that urge to take a peek...so I removed the chairs and lifted the rug...it was soaked. Drove back and showed it to them, they were surprised? so I left the van there AGAIN. After a couple of days picked it up and again they said was day. By now, I am an expert in the detail field of auto mechanics!!!, so I removed the trim by the slide door driver side, lifted carpet and put my hand in there, yes you read my mind...it was really wet.
    At this point, they said they are going to take my van to a water leak specialist, now that's an advancement in the rational thinking in this irrational world, I mean, I've only been farting around with this leak problem for 2 stinking years , and just now you just came to that conclusion? Brilliant!
    Anyway, after I got my van back, I saw some metal shavings in the back, offcourse no one knew where they came from, it looked like someone drilled something.
    So I went home, and peeked again, well, me and my beloved wife spent our Forth of July, removing the carpet all the way up to the driver seat, on our knees scrubing the entire van floor from the mold that already had grown. In addition to that, I found holes drilled in the body of the van, right under the hatch bottom molding, and voila! The water would came into the frame (there are a couple wide hole openings and inside there, I could see holes drilled, I could see light from outside. I was not a fortunate owner of a 12 gauge, but I whished someone had remembered me in the last Christmas! (no I would not use it on the van or the wife...)
    So the dealer was surprise again to see holes in the van. Their theory, "we don't really know where the water comes from, but we sure know how to get it out..."
    Ok, I admit that there is no water coming inside the cabin area now, so the carpet remains dry, BUT now it seems to pool in the hatch door from outside. So after it rains, and I open the hatch, water comes gushing out of the handle from outside, and that is where I am at. Don't really know how it gets there. Hopefully that does not cause a problem in winter in the freezing temperatures, we'll see...
    So the dealer wanted to give us "new horses" at the tune of $23,000.00 for a brand new 2010 Toyota Sienna (actually I think is their cost), an idealistic perfect solution for a water leak, right? No, my wallet got constipated...so the the genius had ANOTHER solution, a bumper-to-bumper premium warranty for our "holly bucket" for 2 years or 24,000 miles...I took that because they did not have another van to trade-in with, and that is all folks!
    If you wondering about all this "comedy" written in this post, is because, if I ain't laughing...I'd be crying for a loooong time. Maybe I should write a book about this a nd sell it on the internet, and make millions!
  • philobrien99philobrien99 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all -- I've got a 2000 Sienna, bought used 1 year ago, and have similar problems as everybody else on this forum. What a nightmare! I have at long last found a temporary solution -- not satisfactory in the big picture sense, but in the short run anyway, it seems to help. Fortuitously (by design ??!?) there are removable plugs, about the size of a quarter, directly underneath (on the bottom of the frame, as in, lay on the ground to find these) the driver's seat and the passenger seat. There is a slightly smaller one at the back. underneath the rear hatch (again, UNDERNEATH on the frame) under the rear hatch, driver's side. I removed these 3, and so far this fall/winter, no new water has accumulated beneath my feet in the driver's compartment. Like I said, not an IDEAL solution, because it does not actually solve the root problem, but at least my feet aren't sitting in a wading pool ......
  • jlow6jlow6 Member Posts: 1
    Our leak showed up after we'd owned our used 2002 sienna about year and a half last month. I soaked it with shampoo/lysol, then vacuumed , dried blowed, etc. No luck , especially since we've been having soggy weather. My independent mechanic took a day & half to figure it out, partly thanks to you. Keep your fingers in the dike, thanks.
  • sukisszozesukisszoze Member Posts: 5
    jlow6, what did your mechanic do to fix the leak ?
    Thanks
    WE WATER TESTED WITH A PRESSURE WASHER AND FOUND REAR HATCH LEAKING INTO INSIDE OF VAN,AND WATER THEN ROLLING UP TO
    FRONT OF CAR UNDER SUB FLOOR.
    HOPE THIS HELPS
    JOEE78
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    I have been trying to decide on a new vehicle, and the Sienna and the Odyssey are 2 of my favorites. I looked at both at a Carmax dealer and noticed some odd spots on the interior edges of the rear hatch on the Sienna. It looked like small spots of mold to me, but the salesman assured me it wasn't, insisting it was just some dirt.

After reading this thread, though, I wonder if it really was mold. Are the Sienna vans still having leak issues?