Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70 Steering and Front End Issues

momsfirstmomsfirst Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Volvo
Just returned from an 1800 mile round trip Denver to Houston. Noticed that on the steering wheel, where the cruise controls and audio controls are located, it gets uncomfortably warm after a 100 miles or so. It's not sun on the black leather, yesterday I was driving due west at 9am with visibility down to 30 feet, so not a possiblity.

It feels like something is overheating.

Anyone else notice this? I have many more round trips in the immediate future, and wonder about the possiblity of electrical short out, or even fire.

Comments

• srubinsrubin Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2003 C70, HP turbo, manual trans. Although I knew that the turning radius was not great, like on the 240s, I was disappointed to start hearing clunking noises when turning both left and right to almost the turn stop. On uneven terrain, the noise is worse. Previous trips to my dealer fixes the issue temporarily...with the diagnosis being that the stops needed lubrication.

It is out of warranty, but don't want damage to be done when it might be an inherant C70 issue. Thoughts? Similar issues?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    still sounds like the stops need lubrication to me. I'm surprised it has turned up again so quick, though. How many miles has it been since last done?

I don't believe any damage will occur.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• srubinsrubin Member Posts: 2
    It is due for service and I am taking it in this week. I will point out the need to lubricate the stops, but the lubrication does not last 3K miles, that's for sure.
  • jimaustinjimaustin Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2004 C70 with 8,800 miles on it...now has 13,300. Have noticed two problems and wonder how common these are.

1. steering pops when turned to extremes or hit a rough surface with wheel turned and
    2. check engine light sometimes comes on...diagnosed as catalytic converter problem.

Otherwise, very impressed with car. Gets true 27 mpg (HT version) and runs on regular gas.

Any comments?
    see the couple of posts above yours for the possible steering issue.

i wonder why it would have a catalytic problem at only 13k miles? and i'm shocked you found an '04 with such low miles. congrats!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• sasovsasov Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I just bought a 2004 C70 with about 30,000 miles on it and noticed a wobble at about 45-50 mph. The dealer said it is probably tyre/wheel related. Wonder if anyone has had the same experience?

Also the Volvo dealership wants $590 for the 30,000 miles service which I think is a rip off. Does anyone know if a regular mechanic can do the same thing for less?

Otherwise it is just a dream to ride and if I figure out how to do it I'll try to attach a few photos.
    a wobble? yeah, quite possibly a tire out of balance. Cheap enough to have them checked at a tire shop.

As for the 30k mile service, your problem is that you are asking the dealer "how much for the 30k mile service?" What you need to say is "how much to change the oil, rotate the tires, and ... " I don't know the rest of the list offhand, but its whatever your owner's manual states should be done at 30k, NOT what the dealer states should be done.

In any case, as a volvo owner, yes, you should find an independent mechanic ... but one that specializes in volvos. They need to have the proper equipment/software to service your car.

Thanks for that. I asked Volvo-USA customer service and they confirmed that as long as one keeps receipts, having the service done by an independent mechanic doesn't affect the 4 years/50,000 miles warranty.

The 30,000 miles service is check/replace all fluids and change the cabin air filter. How do the dealerships justify $600 for that is just amazing.
    ALL fluids? Are you sure that's what your owner's manual states? I'm pretty sure the coolant is 100k miles, and there is no reason to replace steering fluid. So I think oil change, brake system flush, and tranny service should be the end of it. At my Volvo dealer, that would be about $200-$240. I don't know how much for the cabin air filter, though.

You are right, it's not all fluids but they do say they will flush the cooling system. Not sure what good that would do me in the no-snow-state but still :-)

In any case, there are two dealerships in Orlando, FL where I am and one asked for $440 and the other for $589 for the service. Go figure.

Which part of the country do you live in gbrozen?
    I'm in NJ.

Just for the fun of it I called the Volvo dealership in Grand Rapids, MI where I used to live. Their price: $320 including tax.
  • ladydi2ladydi2 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I know just what you mean. I have the same thing with turning into a parking space. It gradually got worse but has stayed the same for sometime now. I understand the lubrication did not seem to make much of a difference. My last volvo had a very tight turning radius. (94 850 Turbo)

Ladydi2
  • jefe9703jefe9703 Member Posts: 2
    I'm hoping for a little more info on the clunking. My 2004 HPT w/67k has the same issues. Sounds like hell and the turning radius gets worse when the wheel stops aren't sufficiently greased. The temporary fix that both the dealer and now the lube joint has used is to slather the wheel stops with grease. This alleviates the problem for a couple thousand miles but then its back. Is there a better way? Will replacing the wheelstops help?
  • bobparisbobparis Member Posts: 28
    When I bought my C70 in May of 2007 I noticed the sticker on the window stating that Volvo equipped the car with high-performance tires and to expect a tread life of around 20,000 miles. It struck me as strange that Volvo would put such tires on any of their vehicles. I bought a Volvo to be safe and because it looked sporty and fun - not because I wanted or needed to go around turns at 75 mph. A few months after purchase I noticed a slow leak in one of the tires and visited a shop to have it repaired. I commented that I did not like the ride - too noisy, bumpy and as described on this message board, like "riding on rails." On worn streets with grooves, the car has flung itself to the side as the steering wheel turned by itself around 40 degrees. Really had to hold onto the wheel while driving - tough for someone who usually steers with his knees! Anyway, the tire expert (having been in the business for a few decades) fixed the tire for free and asked me to come back when I needed to buy tires. He mentioned that I would not get 20,000 miles out of the factory tires - he was right, at 17,500 miles I had 0/32nd's on the front. He promised that he would figure out what tire would be less noisy, give me a nicer ride and last longer. Yesterday he installed a set of 4 Hankook tires that are speed rated at 130 mph, as opposed to the Pirelli OEM's that are rated at a ludicrously high 160. I immediately noticed that they are quieter, smoother and less prone to being thrown across the lane. He told me the tires are touted as having a lifecycle of 50,000, but in real-world driving to expect a usable life of about 30,000 miles. And they were less than half the price of the Pirellis. Hope this story connects with any others who share the same feelings. Bob
  • volvo_drivervolvo_driver Member Posts: 34
    Thanks for the information Bob. Do you have the 17" or 18" wheels on your C70?
    Oops - should have included that information. I have the 18" Mizram wheels that undoubtedly contribute to the situation since they don't leave much room for rubber. BTW, the tire model # is Hankook Ventus 1004768 (235/40R18)
  • rschleicherrschleicher Member Posts: 79
    Yes, with the 18" Mirzam wheels you get high-performance summer tires, P-Zero Rosso's. These will indeed wear out pretty quickly, and are also pretty bad in cold weather (such as below freezing). I'm not positive, but the treadwear rating might be only around 200 or so on these. The 17" wheels come with longer-lasting, (Michelin, I think) all-season tires, albeit not cheap either, as they have the same high-speed rating (Z speed-rating?). I have the P-Zero Rossos, and like them in terms of handling, etc., but will probably go to P-Zero Nero all-season tires when they need replacing, which have a much better treadwear rating (something like 400).

Many tire stores will refuse to put on replacement tires with a lower speed rating than the car originally came with. I don't know if this is by law in some states, or just because the large tire store chains have legal departments that are trying to make sure they don't get sued. In reality a 132-mph H-rated tire is plenty, but I have an older Mercedes that originally came with V-rated tires, and the tire shops now refuse to put anything less on it. It is nice that you have a shop that will apply common sense.
    When the tire shop called to tell me what tire would be best he did mention that the speed rating was less than what was "required." He assured me that there would not be a problem. I don't know if he disclosed this for legal or ethical reasons, but either way I feek comfortable with the choice.
This discussion has been closed.