Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Grand Cherokee CRD diesel

gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
Anyone with an owners report on this new vehicle?

It's ridiculously gutsy from a standing start, even with the relatively heavy Quadra-Drive II four-wheel drive underfoot. It's no surprise, because the engine puts out 376 pounds-feet of torque at 1,600-2,800 rpm, as well as 215 horsepower at 3,800 rpm. What makes this engine stand out, though, is how quiet and smooth it is. It's definitely the most refined diesel engine I've ever driven in a car — or light truck, as the case may be.

The 3.0-liter V-6, which has been used in the Grand Cherokee overseas, is a Mercedes engine that is arguably the most advanced small diesel made. When you start — and particularly when you stop — the engine there's no vibration that shouts "diesel."

The new engine is the foundation of Mercedes' Bluetec system, which promises record-low emissions when operated on low-sulfur fuel. The Grand Cherokee CRD isn't currently Bluetec, though it does include a particulate trap to catch all that diesel soot we Americans object to. One could say the car is diesel-ready, in a sense. When low-sulfur fuel hits the pumps here within the next year, Jeep can begin to sell Bluetec versions that make the engine as clean as possible.

Expect to see the Grand Cherokee CRD in early 2007, except in non-diesel friendly states like California.

Jeep GC Diesel

Comments

• philcraigphilcraig Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 GC CRD and love it. If you are a Jeep guy, then you know mpg is hard to get, my last 5.2l GC got 13-15. This one gets 22 and hasn't been on the highway yet for any distance. The Nav system is very cool, my TDI friends are jealous of how quite it is.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Welcome to the forum.

Glad to hear you like your GC. Keep us posted on mileage and overall driving experience.
  • kuntaokuntao Member Posts: 5
    I thought I'd give my 2 cents on this vehicle. I've owned it for 3 months now and am very impressed with it so far. Mileage has increased steadily to the point I'm getting 22 in the city and 25 on the highway. It is definitely in it's element on the highway with great brakes and ample power. What impresses me most is the ride though. You must be careful or you'll find yourself driving way over the limit. The engine can't be praised enough. It definitely makes this vehicle.
    There are some downfalls that I'll bring to your attention as well. Oil changes at the dealership crowd 200 dollars Canadian. They're only required every 6000 miles but still. I find the dash cheap and " to plastic" for my liking and there is a poor standard warranty. You need an extended warranty to get proper coverage.
    I considered this vehicle long and hard before I went ahead and purchased it, but have no regrets whatsoever.
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    Oil changes at the dealership crowd 200 dollars Canadian.

Since this is a Mercedes engine, are you absolutely required to get your oil changed at the dealership to preserve your warrantee? Also, what speed do you generally drive on the highway to get 25 MPG?
    Sorry about the late response. The extended warranty covers everything except brake pads for 5 years so I'm unsure about any mandatory requirements. The cost of the warranty nearly covered the oil changes alone so I felt it very worthwhile.
    As far as speeds, I drive above posted limits and pay no attention to trying to conserve. That would probably mean at least 120k or 70 miles an hour.
    I have noticed fuel consumption increased since the colder temperatures arrived. That is usually the norm for all vehicles and it was only a mile or so per gal.
    It is in all aspects very good in the freezing rain and snow with no problem starting in the cold weather.
    Very pleased with the vehicle so far
  • crdjeepcrdjeep Member Posts: 4
    Well,I finally just bought one of these fine vehicles.I test drove many,many vehicles from crossovers to trucks.This was the best.It felt sturdy and was /is very comfortable to drive.It was the actual engine I was sold on.
    I only have 420km on it,and still have just under half a tank of gas left.The torque is awsome,and braking exceptional.No problems so far,although there was a small crease in the leather drivers seat,and a small thread of stitching hanging from the leather wrapped wheel,minor stuff.I hope to get many years from this truck. :)
  • frostyyfrostyy Member Posts: 52
    Hi,

I am the proud owner of a 2008 Jeep GC Overland diesel. I love this vehicle. I find the seats very comfortable, the ride is great and the engine is fantastic--both for city and highway driving.

Passing is no problem and gas mileage is terrific (meeting and sometimes exceeding sticker values). I also love all of the tech stuff---uconnect phone, mygig, nav, and so on. Even has heated seats for the backseat.

Compared to the 06 hemi I had...I'll take this one....and spend more time on the road rather than putting in gas...

I wish they would have kept the automatic fold-in for the mirrors (as I had on the 06 GC)...that is handy for parking in a narrow garage...

The only minor negative point I might make about the engine is the slight hesitation that sometime occurs when the engine is shifting into turbo mode....

Would I buy another one....absolutely.....

perhaps even a 2009...with the rumoured bluetec Cummins diesel...don't know which engine would be better?? Cummins vs Mercedes??
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    gas mileage numbers are you getting???
  • frostyyfrostyy Member Posts: 52
    Gas mileage (Canadian miles per gallon) 24 city 31hwy....which I believe works out to 17/22 U.S. figures
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    1.2 US gallons per imperial gallon.
    so canadian 24 city 31 highway converts like this:
    24/1.2 = 20 mpg city usa
    31/1.2 = 26 mpg highway usa
    Anyone try one on their diesel truck yet. I think it's my next purchase and am curious if anyones tried it. 60 bucks in Canada. Just curious to see if it increases mileage even more. My best mileage is around 27 imperial on the highway but have noticed a considerable drop during cold weather and short trips in the city
    I'm getting 13.0 l/100km in the cold weather ,Toronto Area.I too have noticed a considerable drop in the mileage when the cold weather hit.This mileage of course is combined city/hwy.
    Well crd that in a way is good news. I was beginning to suspect I had a mechanical problem and was considering taking it into the dealer for a checkup. My mileage over the last few months has continuously dropped and the short trips aren't helping matters either.
    Come on summer
    My crd only has4000km on it but this might be a problem with all new cherokees.
    This am I noticed some water leaking through the right hand console where you would put your hand to grab the handle on the inside of the windshield,upper right trim if you will.I opened the plug on the panelling and about 1/4 cup of water spilt out.The panelling itself was soaked.I then checked the panelling on the left hand console and sure enough,that was also wet.I took the vehicle to the dealer and they said that some cherokees are having the same problem.
    If you open up your sunroof and look at the seal in the front along the roof frame,you will see two little holes,each connected to a tube which leads down into the frame of the vehicle along both sides of the windshield.Apparently any moisture in your sunroof drains along these tubes.If these tubes get moisture in them,they could leak,atleast thats what the dealer told me,as this could be the only cause of the panels inside my jeep getting wet.Obviously,completely unacceptable for a 50g vehicle.My truck goes in for service in the am so I will post what they find. :mad:
    crdjeepster, those sunroof drain lines can get clogged in any brand of vehicle. i understand the design is that the water is supposed to go through those tubes. but that they can get clogged/blocked.
    ps - c'mon man, stick with either english or metric units, make a commitment one way or the other!
  • alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    The CRD versions of Grand Cherokee's etc are the real sellers here in U.K. - but still fairly small numbers.

For comparison my '06 Volvo S60 D5 Geartronic, (185bhp/295lbft), has returned just shy of 30mpg, (that's US Gallons), over the last 4000 miles - i.e. since I bought it. Most of that has been town/urban with the occasional good run and far too much "floor it & smile" driving. Keeps me happy, even with ULSD being the equiv of circa $8.40 per US Gallon in my area. Around London the cost of Unleaded has now broken the $10 per USG barrier and ULSD is slightly more expensive. :cry: You folks live a charmed life. :)

No, I know the S60 isn't a Grand Cherokee but it's hardly a lightweight, either.
    You folks live a charmed life.

We are such cry babies :cry:

Do you know what folks are getting for mileage with the Grand Cherokee CRD? I looked at them here and the back seat was too cramped. I just wish my Sequoia was a diesel instead of a gas guzzler. Biggest problem for me is the short range with only 26 gallons. At 17 MPG on the highway I don't feel comfortable pushing it past 350 miles between gas stops. That is a pain when my Mercedes Sprinter would go 500 and my Passat TDI would go an easy 600 miles.
    Anyone noticed the price of the cherokee jeep crd lately? An 08 was listed in the local newspaper at 36800 plus tax NEW. Made me sick! I paid 50000 6 months ago. I put a complaint to jeep canada about price gouging but their response was typical.
    Hopefully someone will open a class action lawsuit so that I can get involved. What a scam!
    Tao dude, probably yours is a loaded 07 with 4WD/AWD. the 08 being advertised was probably a laredo/2WD with no options, or whatever is the low-end model.
  • oochuckoochuck Member Posts: 8
    My wife got a new 2007 Jeep Limited GC diesel last Monday for $19,999.00. Tremendous buy. Sunroof, tow package and loaded with all the extras that comes with the Limited.
    There are a few dealers selling the diesel from $19,999 to $21,999.00. For 4X4 add $2,000.00 to either of the prices.
    What happened is that when many of the diesels were manufactured the fuel sat in the tank too long and went bad so Jeep or the dealers had to pull the fuel tanks, clean out the lines and anything that involved the fuel system. Then they were sold with the full factory warranty and the repair was disclosed in writing to the buyer. Only owning the vehicle for a week makes it hard for me to talk about how great I think it is, but one thing I know is that when the diesel hit the market at around $40K I was very disappointed because I am a fan of diesels. At $20K I am one happy camper.

If you want to check on availability you can go to auto.trader.com and using a zip code of 75042 and do a range of 75 miles. Should come up with Greenville Chrysler and Bonham Dodge/Chrysler.

Good luck to all.
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    Thanks for that info! Please repost your impressions about your new 07 after you've had it for a while. I have seen the disclosure forms - they show over $3K to replace the parts you mentioned.

Thinking this would be a substantial improvement over my Silverado that gets 15mpg. I love my truck but also have a 107 mile daily round-trip commute to consider, and a boat to tow.
    You mention a 107 mile daily round trip and that makes me wonder if the CRD Jeep would be the right vehicle. So far the highway MPG has not been good. RPM's too high at 60-70MPH. Others on this site have mentioned the need for an additional gear for the highway. Getting better MPG driving in town at around 40 MPH that on the highway at 65 MPH. Will learn more as time goes on and update the the forum.
    What is your RPM at 70 MPH. I would think it would be geared to about 1700 RPM at that normal highway speed. My Passat TDI was at about 1800 RPM going 70 MPH. And it would stay in high gear up the longest grades.
  • drudgerydrudgery Member Posts: 13
    I bought n 07 Limited CRD with only 7k miles on it completely loaded - every available option they had - backup cameras, auto pedal adjust, entertainment, etc. last Friday for 28k (sticker new was 46k) and its is fantastic but only have 600 miles on it since buying.

The gearing is extremely thick and tight on the low end - all 5 gears are only abour 10-15 mph apart so the RPM I checked tonight at 70MPH is quite high for a diesel at about 2600 so its not in the sweet spot like I had with the Liberty CRD I had - would cruise at about 2200 at that speed. Having said that there isn't much movement on the tach from 65-85 - maybe a couple hundred at best from what I saw. All things considered though comparing a liberty CRD (had it for 80k miles) and this WK CRD is not even close. The transmission is a 1000 times smoother and it ALWAYS has get up anywhere in the range. The transmission seems to be constantly working and keeping you where you need without knowing it - and the accelaerator pedal feels almost endlessly deep compared to the Liberty CDR. I actually only floored the WK once when test driving and it was a long push and was REALLY strong and smooth all the way through to about 80.

Having said all that - I wish it had a 6th gear too because the RPM's would come back into the sweet spot while crusing. I am getting 21.2 MPG right now but its 50/50 city-highway. I have no idea why they didn't add it but all things considered I would rather have it thick on the low end than top end. I am really happy with it and disgusted they didn't keep it alive and stopped at 2008. -- Andy
    At 1500 RPM's I am at 40-41 MPH in fifth gear. My 2002 Dodge diesel runs at much lower RPM's than the Jeep. I did not get a chance to get it up to 70 MPH but when purchased I recall about 2,600 RPM's at 70MPH.

Enjoying the vehicle, time will tell on overall satisfaction. What it came down to for me was the complete package consisting of: amenities, RWD, diesel and it is a mid size SUV that had a price of $20K. I do not think there is another vehicle that comes close to this deal.

Wish you'll good luck with your jeeps.
    RPM's at 70MPH are right at 2,500. Had an opportunity to get on the freeway and take a short trip of about 80 miles. Could not quite get 23MPG driving @ 65-70MPH with the AC on and the cruise control set. 90% of the driving my wife will be doing will be in town so I guess 17 MPG overall will be acceptable for going from one stop light to the next.

The front page of the Dallas Morning News auto section on Sunday did a review of the SRT-6.1L Grand Cherokee and the mileage was listed at 11 and 14. So that helps the disappointment of the freeway mileage a little. Hard to believe my 4 speed auto Dodge diesel gets better highway MPG at around 23-24 for a much heavier and larger vehicle with a whole lot more motor. But as we know the gearing makes a big difference.

Consumer reports says that this is one of the better vehicles to come out of Chrysler, take it for what that is worth to you.

Good luck to all.
  • pole2pole2 Member Posts: 17
    Hi guys

I have Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel 2007 with P 245/65/R17 tires. I would like to buy new aftermarket rims. My question is how far I can go in size of the rims and tires and not compromising factory specification, that include also winters set of wheels and tires.. Any help appreciated.
    Thank you.
  • coolridercoolrider Member Posts: 84
    I have it on very good reliability that an lot full of diesel GC's ready for shipping got fueled with gasoline. Therefore they could no longer be sold as new vehicles under the law. Chrysler did the repairs and sold them the dealers as used program cars. That is still a good deal considering what everyone else paid new.
    Drudgery,

What did you do with your Liberty?
    Read the specs on all of the models advertised! They are all wrong!
  • drudgerydrudgery Member Posts: 13
    Sorry so late - don;t check this one much any more. I'll find my original post from the Liberty forum but my wife and kids were t-boned at an intersection and totaled it. (Everyone is fine).
  • ghost_oneghost_one Member Posts: 11
    Hi all, Have had my diesel GC for a month now, very impressed with it, It was built Dec.08 in Detroit the last month they built them, at 100 k/h engine is turning at 2200 rpm, I find this a little high but with a 3.73 rear axle this accounts for it, I believe the export models have a lower ratio, like 3.55 in the city it has been returning 24 mpg Imp, with diesel costing .769 a liter.

2008.5 GC Laredo North Edition.
    Ont, Canada
    Welcome to the forum! There is not many of us here, thankfully. I found this site when dealing with my Liberty CRD and its' woes of horror. Tell us about your JGC CRD. How did you find out what gear was in the rear end?
    I have the production sheet, it states that the rear axle ratio is 3.73 code DMEP..all GC diesels for North America are 3.73 a rather high ratio unless you tow a lot.
    The last diesel GCs made were 2008.5s last ones built Dec, 08. These are 2009 GC with 2008 emission certified diesel engines, hence 2008.5, to conform to 2009 specs they would have been required to have Urea exhaust injection i.e same as Mercedes Benz uses. I assume production stopped as they did not sell enough of them.
    I would assume production stopped because Chrysler was ready for bankruptcy. I believe they closed all their plants at that time. If they did not meet the CA emissions they probably did not sell that many.. I test drove one in Hawaii and did not like the second row seats. So it was off my list two years ago. Just like Chrysler to do things half way. No wonder they are bankrupt.
    Chrysler went bankrupt on 30th April 2009, they are now out of bankruptcy and the plants are now reopening, Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town and Country plant in Ontario Canada opens 29th June on 3 shifts, so the new Chrysler begins.
    The urea exhaust injection for 2009 does meet CA emission regulations for the 3 Liter diesel (Mercedes Benz sells this engine for 09 in CA), but appears Chrysler did not have enough sales to warrant the engineering expense for that system.
    You are correct the second row seating is tight.
    When the GC CRD first came out a dealer in Oregon offered me one for $42k. It was too much for too little compared to the Mercedes ML320 CDI. When I actually got to drive one in Hawaii, I was glad I did not make the leap of faith. There is no comparison between the two cars except the price was very close equally equipped. Since I assume the GC CRDs are selling for a lot less money.

I have driven the new GL320 CDI and liked most but the 7 speed transmission. It is the same running gear as the ML320 that would be the competitor for the GC CRD. Go sit in the ML and you will see just how much roomier it is. I really did not get a chance to wring either one out so it would be impossible to say anything about the handling. I have since learned that the transmission has two modes and I was in the Sport mode which I did not like.
  • texndactexndac Member Posts: 2
    Well i recently traded in my 03 ram 2500 2wd that got at least 21.5 mpg on the highway to a 2007 GC crd 2wd which gets luckly 19-21mpg on the highway. There is something wrong with this picture 3/4 ton truck to suv, cummins to mercedes, cast iron block to aluminum block. Honestly about all the complaints including my own, i believe the only thing needed is to purchase the 7 spd automatic transmission that mercedes makes for their cars equipped with the diesel and we would be getting the same good mileage that they get which is around the 25-32mpg. But...sigh...who has about 5-7k laying around to order one of those transmissions out of Berlin?
    There is always one way we can all go, to look in to getting the engine reprogrammed so it will be calibrated differently. The 07 has the mercedes 4spd automatic with overdrive, my opinion, when the transmission shifts from 4th to overdrive the rpm should go down to around 1900-2100rpm not shift from 2400 to 2400rpm which mine currently does. What is the purpose of overdrive when it isn't doing its job? I feel like i am driving a 97 Ford f350 crew cab 4x4 powerstroke automatic with the rpm numbers and mpg.
    Transmission and turbo recalibrated i believe will do the job, if it can be done.
    We can only blame Chrysler for the body problems, not the powertrain, that part is completely Mercedes.
  • texndactexndac Member Posts: 2
    Well sometimes after i post i go out and look to see if there is any thing i can do to fix the problem. I noticed an exhaust leak behind the turbo, i loosened the clamp and noticed the down pipe had not been aligned correctly. In order to align the pipe correctly i had to loosen the clamp at the down pipe/cat converter. It was an easy fix if you have the correct tools to fit in a tight space. Since then i am now getting 23.7mpg compared to previous 19-20 on the highway, city driving is in the 19-21 mpg. I can now say i am happy getting better mileage than what i got with my 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins.

I apologize to Mercedes for my previous comment.
    That is something that should have been caught by the QC people at Jeep. Glad you are finally getting the benefit of a diesel engine.
    Update on my 2008.5 Grand Cherokee diesel Laredo, I have had it for 5 months now and around town it gets 20 U.S mpg or 24 Imp mpg, now has 3,420 miles on it 5,503 k/m absolutely no problems so far on the whole vehicle.
    Note to you guys/girls with 2007-08 diesel GCs the oil change schedule for 2008.5 models is 12,500 Miles (20,000 km) or 12 Months (Not to be exceeded!!) there is no service "A" or "B" schedule. engine computer monitors engine use and will notify you by the EVIC (dash computer read out) if you should change your oil sooner than above schedule.

2008.5 GC Laredo diesel.
    Thanks for your update. I have the 2007 2X4 Limited and the mileage is 18/22 with something like 8,000 miles on the odometer. Had a transmission leak and the dealer said that they have had problems with a plug in the tranny. Was repaired under warranty. Really have enjoyed the vehicle but the gas mileage should be much better for a diesel. As other have stated the Jeep needs one more gear. Still for a price of $19,999.00 it was the best vehicle for the money.
    Mercedes is now using a 7 speed automatic with the 3L diesel, but we are stuck with the 5 speed Mercedes transmission, that 7 speed would have upped our fuel mileage. Also we have 3.73 ratio rear ends, a lower number there would have helped mileage to.
  • dan224dan224 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 08 diesel with a cooling system vibration. when the fan module kicks into
    high, it vibrates through the whole car. Dealer replaced the module, but it still
    shakes. Dealer says he can't do anything else as per chrysler. Car has 14000 miles. I really like the car. It's still under factory warranty. Any suggestions? Dan224
  • fitz4ufitz4u Member Posts: 2
    Good Evening:
    I'm looking for some assistance with the above codes. They are the result of the Electronic Throttle Control warning and check engine like coming on. I've been able to reproduce the codes and warnings with hard acceleration, but also with steady city cruising.
    I've reset the codes, numerous times, and also had the codes and check engine light reset themselves!
    I've run fuel dryer, and fuel conditioner twice, because i thought I picked up a tank of bad diesel, without results. Latest has been to replace the fuel filter. The codes apparently refer to high and low pressure at the solinoid on the fuel rail. Of course Chrysler won't just sell the solinoid and would prefer I spend $1000 for a new fuel rail.
    Has anyone run into this issue with the diesel?
    your assistance is appreciated.
    Sold it back under lemon law.
  • fitzdicksnfitzdicksn Member Posts: 3
    We have also just got the Electronic Throttle warning light and then the check engine light came on. Just prior to this happening the engine RPM was surging slightly similar to a TPS sensor failure on a gas engine. We bought our 2008.5 Grand Cherokee diesel in April, 2009 and it now has 110,000 kms of highway driving on it.

The dealer says the turbo failed and that there is a wiring harness that runs through the engine that has suffered water damage and shorted out.(Service writer may not have provided accurate description). the only water this JEEP has ever seen is from rainstorms. Anyway I am getting a little nervous. I bought the 5 year / 160,000 extended warranty. Looks like this would have been a big bill to swallow without warranty coverage.

We also had a transmission solenoid replaced recently(about $800 if not on warranty) and a front axle shaft splined section was not fully seated in the front differential and it spun leaving my wife stranded. that was also close to a $1,000 repair had warranty not covered it.

so I expect we will be somewhere in the $5,000 - $7,000 worth of warranty repairs in the last 8 months.

Might have to get rid of it while the warranty still has 20-30 k left on it.
  • toad74toad74 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the same boat as you are fitzdicksn, I bought my 2008.5 back in May of 2009 (because of my escape being a POS), and just the other month the ETC warning light began to flash along with the check engine light as well.
    Difference in my situation was that the Chrysler said it was the fuel intake actuator, and wasn't covered under warranty and I also bought the extended warranty too, but no dice.
    After getting it "fixed" and a significantly lighter waller, 17 days after I got it back, it is starting to act up again! The ETC light has come on and off twice and the check engine light is now on. This is actually making me quite fustrated. I can't wait to hear what Chrysler is going to tell me on this one!
  • brevansbrevans Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    My turbo also failed recently. Mine was a 2008 Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee

The problem was originally linked to the Positive Crankcase Ventillation (PCV) valve being clogged. However, what was discovered was that it is more likely that the turbo failed due to over servicing of the oil during oil changes, which then destroyed the PCV valve and blew out the seals to the turbo.

I've only had the vehicle serviced by Chrysler, but it's not a common car to work on. It is an easy mistake for a mechanic to over service a diesel engine, and if they do, it is worse than underservicing the engine! The engine oil will build up too much pressure and will blow out seals, not be allowed to cool properly, and will not lubricate your engine as designed.

I always check my engine oil level now immediately after an oil change, even by an authorized Chrysler mechanic. Don't let them tell you that more is better. More is worse and less is bad. Insist on proper maintenance.
  • fitzdicksnfitzdicksn Member Posts: 3
    Well we finally dumped this vehicle. It had 134,500 kms with warranty to 160,000 over the next 2 years. We loved the fuel economy, the towing ability, off road ability was great but would have improved with a lift kit and it was confortable. But after huge warranty repairs on the swirl valve, turbo and wiring harness due to a minor oil leak we decided we could not take the risk of keeping it. A crate engine is about $35,000 for this thing.

We concluded that the Mercedes engineers who designed the 3.0L CRD V-6 engine had consumed far too many Schnapps and Pilseners while designing this engine. There is just no excuse for some of the blunders they made when they put this one together.

In addition to the other noted problems in my earlier post we also had to rebuild the rear differential at 120,000 kms. My Oil sampling program showed it was going at about 90,000 kms but of course they would do nothing until it actually did fail.

That extended warranty I bought paid off in Spanish gold bullion. So now we stuff gasoline into a 2011 Ram Hemi truck.