Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Additionally, if Honda is found to be "hiding" any such reports from NHTSA, I'm sure there would be harsh penalties to be suffered.

There would only be a fine if Honda is under a legal obligation to disclose that information to the NHTSA. Since the investigation has been closed by NHTSA I doubt Honda is providing any more information to them.
  • dave_cldave_cl Member Posts: 54
    So I followed up on the "heads up" I was given when I took my 2002 CR-V in for its 64000 km service, where the estimate was $600CAD. The warranty on the brakes had expired at 60000 km. I had previously had the left rear rotor machined, and the pads replaced under warranty at 16000 km. When I delivered the vehicle, I said that if they installed new parts, I wanted any old parts. This was an attempt to intimidate the dealership into being truthful about the condition of the brakes, since I bought my CR-V in December 2001, and I believe that mine was one of the first that the dealership sold. Therefore, I didn't think they would be able to present me with worn out parts from a vehicle someone else had mistreated.
    The dealership replaced both rear rotors, and pads, and machined both front rotors. The vehicle has 66000 km (41000 miles).
    Wow! The old rear pads are badly worn, and one of them is paper-thin. If these really came off my CR-V, then Honda has a serious quality problem.

The part numbers on the rotor boxes (made in Japan) are 132-A-607, and the rear pads (also made in Japan) are 43022-s7s-010 and 4H29. Is anyone on this forum able to check the veracity of these being CR-V parts, rather than those for, say, a 1995 Accord?

Thanx
    A much poorer today Dave.
  • sabrina9sabrina9 Member Posts: 148
    But how will NHTSA know there are no more fires if Honda does not have to report fires going forward?

Granted, there are lots of reports now, but that is probably due to publicity. Seems silly for Honda to say "all is well" then never have no reporting obligations. Oh well, that is where this forum comes in.

I know the ins companies are talking, but interestingly, of the ones I know of locally there were not two of the same insurance companies involved.
    So I followed up on the "heads up" I was given when I took my 2002 CR-V in for its 64000 km service, where the estimate was $600CAD. The warranty on the brakes had expired at 60000 km. I had previously had the left rear rotor machined, and the pads replaced under warranty at 16000 km. When I delivered the vehicle, I said that if they installed new parts, I wanted any old parts. This was an attempt to intimidate the dealership into being truthful about the condition of the brakes, since I bought my CR-V in December 2001, and I believe that mine was one of the first that the dealership sold. Therefore, I didn't think they would be able to present me with worn out parts from a vehicle someone else had mistreated.
    The dealership replaced both rear rotors, and pads, and machined both front rotors. The vehicle has 66000 km (41000 miles).
    Wow! The old rear pads are badly worn, and one of them is paper-thin. If these really came off my CR-V, then Honda has a serious quality problem.

The part numbers on the rotor boxes (made in Japan) are 132-A-607, and the rear pads (also made in Japan) are 43022-s7s-010 and 4H29. Is anyone on this forum able to check the veracity of these being CR-V parts, rather than those for, say, a 1995 Accord?

Thanx
    A much poorer today Dave.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    The NHTSA has closed the investigation as it relates to the case they have already investigated. Should a significant number of additional cases be found (even after Honda has taken action), the case may be re-opened.

FYI 2005 information

gotj "2005 Honda CR-V?" Jul 26, 2004 10:49pm
  • lortolorto Member Posts: 25
    Dave,

The complete part numbers should be:

Rear rotor - 42510-S9A-N00 $110.78 USD
    Rear pads - 43022-S7S-010 $53.13 USD

Bruce
  • sterlingmosssterlingmoss Member Posts: 4
    I have an opportunity to buy a 1997 CRV from the original owner and in good condition. It has new tires, brakes, exhaust and all service records up to date. My only hesitation is it has 169K miles. The price is $4,300. Should I pass on it because of the mileage??
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds like a good price according to our Used Car Appraiser and it's a Used Car Best Bet.

Steve, Host
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    I think you have to look at it like any high-mileage vehicle.. The only thing that matters is the condition of the one you are looking at. The "books" always underestimate the deduction for high mileage.

That said, if it is as nice as described, and you can get them to come down a few hundred, it sounds like a good deal.

The original owner and all service records is a nice thing.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks Bruce. The info re the pads appears to be accurate, but the part number on the rotor boxes containing the old rotors is not the same as you posted. Perhaps I left out some info. The invoice I received for the job mentions "2 42510-S9A-N00 Drun in Disk, RR B $103.30 $206.60". And "1 01406 Green Disc 3M $1.95"
    Does this make sense? The rear rotors are definitely new, but I'm still wondering if the old ones needed replacing at 65000 kilometers?
    Bruce, I checked the rotor boxes again and found the same part number that you posted here. Thank you very much. That establishes that the old rotors which were returned to me actually fit the cardboard cutouts inside the boxes, so they probably came from a 2002 CR-V. Can I expect to be buying new rear rotors and pads every 65000 kilometers (41000 miles)? Has anyone else had this experience with any vehicle?
  • kathgipkathgip Member Posts: 39
    I have a question for anyone. I want to install a hood protector on my CR-V. I don't want the Bra type, but the hard acrylic or whatever it is made of. I saw one on a CR-V in a parking lot and it really looked sharp. I live on a gravel road, so I need it. Where is the best place to get one (I checked the Honda website and they offered only the Bra type)? And how much do they generally run? Thanks for your help.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Click on the link at the top of this page for H and A - they are a Honda dealer selling discounted OEM accessories.

Also check out www.macneil.com - I have their deflector on my Odyssey and it's a great unit.

Good Luck.
  • sterlingmosssterlingmoss Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Steve and kyfdx for your thoughts on the high mileage. I am going to have a Honda dealer inspect the car first before making a final deal.The car looks in such good condition it's almost like a case of rolling the speedometer ahead rather than back. The owner commuted 100 miles daily to work.
  • edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    I would figure that the most I could squeeze out of the car would be maybe another 75K miles. Although you never know... In that time you will likely need some expensive maintanance including new timing belt ($300-400) and water pump and other things that just GO at over 150K. If you don't expect to get more than 5 years or 75K of service out of then it's a good deal.

As a reference point, I just spent $1400 on an '86 civic wagon with 126K miles on that promptly took $2000 to "spruce up". I'd say your well maintained CR-V is a better deal than that! ;-)

BTW - the "sprucing up" is stuff resulting from not being well maintained - timing belt, water pump, carburetor tuning, tires, alignment, fuel filters, cooling fan motor and switch, etc, etc, etc... And I'm still happy with her!
    I was thinking it probably had a new timing belt, etc., although another belt won't be that far down the road. How many miles a year you plan to drive is a factor too - if you do 10k or less a year you could anticipate several years without much maintenance (hopefully!).

Steve, Host
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    collegehillshonda.com has a great imported clear bonnet protector/hood guard. 72+ship. Looks great - they show a pic and one of my friends put one on her 2004 V.

Do a search on the CR-V Accessories board here - there may be more. There are at least 5 different styles I've seen.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    FYI...I've got 97K miles on my '99 CRV, had two front brake jobs, only pads replaced, rotors merely turned, and new brake fluid. Rear brakes are drum and have checked out fine each time. But I'm in Florida which is mostly flat and always hot so we don't get a big temperature change.
  • aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    I will differ in opinion here on the 1997 CR-V

NO VEHICLE that is 7+ years old and has 169,000 miles on it is worth $4300.

If you only depreciate the vehicle for mileage at 12 cents per mile the car has depreceiated $20,280. That is easily more than the original cost of that vehicle. That doesn't even get into the increased maintenance that you should expect on such a high mileage vehicle.

That being said I think that it should be a great vehicle for about $2000.
    Did anyone ask Terry & the gang over in Real-World Trade-In Values for a price?

Steve, Host
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    A well maintained 1997 CRV with those miles is WELL worth 4300.00 and the seller can get that in a heartbeat.

Especially if it's an EX.
  • sfsmithsfsmith Member Posts: 20
    I had a 02 for almost two years before it was rear ended by a tanker truck and totaled. Very luckily no one was injured. It had 51000 miles on it. Only things that I changed were tires, oil, and rear end fluid. My guess is that if you have an automatic, and do mostly city driving, brakes will go much quicker....but 40K seems to soon....not to mention the $600!
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I just sold a 1995 GS400 with 150k for $6500. There are many vehicles that sell for a lot even after they've been around the block a few times. My 1994 LS400 will get an easy $8500 even with 125k on the clock. Never say never.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    I don't think there was an EX in '97. It either had ABS or not and maybe a few other things. Trim lines didn't emerge until '98. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The sites I checked showed that price to be reasonable for that year and mileage CR-V.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    It was an ABS and alloy wheel pkg, I think... but the result is the same.. Basically, if you have standard alloy wheels, then you have the equivalent to an EX in '97.. but, there was no EX designation that year.. I had a '98 and that was the first year for the EX.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

A well maintained 1997 CRV with those miles is WELL worth 4300.00 and the seller can get that in a heartbeat.

Especially if it's an EX.

There wasn't an EX model in 1997.

:)
  • alphajcalphajc Member Posts: 34
    1997 CR-V 169,000 IMO is NOT worth $4300. I'd say most I will pay for such a car is around $3500.

7 years from today in year 2011 will 03 & 04 Honda CR-Vs fetch 20% of its new price? Nope...because they'll all be burned to ashes because after 20,000 fires and 500 deaths, Honda will still refuse to recall the vehicle.
  • hkjcrvhkjcrv Member Posts: 84
    Hi everyone..

Well, I officially reached 1000 miles this morning on my way into work. I've now had the CRV for about a month, took a little 300 mile roadtrip... love it.

Anyway, I wanted to ask... I'm going on a 1000+ mile roadtrip starting next weekend, and I'm wondering if it's okay for me to start using cruise control? Before I got my V, I had read on these boards that you are supposed to avoid cruise control for a while so that you vary the RPMs and break in the engine properly. I just can't remember how long I'm supposed to do that?

I'm just thinking that it'd be awful nice to be able to use cruise control at times on such a long trip...

Thanks!
    The information is in your Owners Manual. Look in the index for "Break In".

:)
  • icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    7 years from today in year 2011 will 03 & 04 Honda CR-Vs fetch 20% of its new price? Nope...because they'll all be burned to ashes because after 20,000 fires and 500 deaths, Honda will still refuse to recall the vehicle.

And it will still be a problem with incompetent mechanics.
  • sabrina9sabrina9 Member Posts: 148
    Incompetent mechanics may still be around, but what is the appropriate repsonse to that? Shouldn't design, over time take this stuff into account and as time moves on you design as many possible human errors out of the system as possible. Done all the time - childproof stuff, lawn mowers that you can't start without holding some piece of bar so you don't cut yourself -automatic shutoffs. The real Q is will Honda learn from this and perhaps take this into account when they redesign the vehicle? I mean, if I can't get a good o/c from a dealer, what does that say about more complicated stuff
  • hkjcrvhkjcrv Member Posts: 84
    1997 CR-V 169,000 IMO is NOT worth $4300. I'd say most I will pay for such a car is around $3500.

I think that's a bit dramatic and highly unlikely.
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232

I hope it isn't too surprising that my 94 AccordEX (140,000miles)was sold at $4100. I wish I could have kept it, it was in wonderful condition, but I wanted the $ for downpayment on my new V!
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    you really mean:

And it will still be a problem with incompetent Honda mechanics who perform the first oil change on CRVs made after 2002.
    Yes, I knew that. I was around when they were introduced and I remember the waiting lines to drive them. We tend to refer to the 97 ABS models as EX's even though they are not. I don't know why Honda did that one year thing?

Anyone know how to tell a VERY early 1997 CRV?

They didn't have the fold down tray between the front seats.
    Well, what isn't a good value to you will be quickly snapped up my someone else who appreciates the value. No problem!

And, sorry...you are WAY overreacting on this fire situation.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    OTHER than Honda involved. So right there it shows a lack of knowledge of the subject.
    Anyone know how to tell a VERY early 1997 CRV?

4 bolt wheels?
  • aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    I over reacted. Since many of you guys would buy a 1997 CR-V with 170k miles on it for $4300 I see that I am in the minority.

I should have said that there is no way I would pay $4300 for a 7 year old vehicle with that many miles that was not originally a $45k+ vehicle when new. Just an opinion and I didn't want to give advice that was contrary to my position on that.

Can I contact you guys in about 5 more years and 100k more miles? I'll have a 2002 CR-V EX to sell you then. If you'll give me 20% of the original MSRP then I'll be a happy camper. Then there's this bridge.......
    Gee Aggie, there's a member over in Land Rover Freelander today who's tossing in some swamp land with their bridge. Are you cheaping out on us?

Steve, Host
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    In 2002, Honda recalled the CR-V for the issue with the seatbelt clasp. They got flamed by people for towing their cars, rather than allow them to bring the car in at their convenience. They claimed that Honda was being way too proactive about this "so-called safety issue".

That was an actual defect.

Now, they are getting flamed for not taking proactive action for a car that doesn't appear to be defective.

Can't win...
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I cross shopped both in 2003. The Toyota had better MPG and smoother ride, but I couldn't find one in So. Cal with 4WD. And the thing was too small. But I think the RAV 4WD is a better system for off road conditions.

I went with the CR-V because the rear seating arrangment is excellent (39" of legroom!), and I needed the larger size. I have been pleased with my choice. The RT4WD is really meant to increase traction for on-road use, not off road.

To me, if the smaller size of the RAV4 is OK, then there is a decision. However, for a family vehicle, the CR-V is better.

I also shopped the Subaru Forester, but again, the rear seats were too small for me. Excellent 4WD system though.
    Ah but that's the beauty of buying a Honda! The high resale value! Was that not a factor in your decision to buy one? I sold a 9 year old Civic with 110K miles on it for more than 50% of it's original MSRP a couple years ago. New I bought it at $8700 - sold 9 years and 110K miles later for $4000. Sweet. (Actually I never should have sold her! Such a great car) The IRS 5-year depreciation schedule does not apply here. It's market demand and quality. I love that about Hondas!
    elissa
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    According to Terry over in the "Real world trade in" forum on Smart Shopper:

These CR-V's still get stupid money

See post 20636 over there.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    I don't think it's a way to tell early models but didn't all '97s have black door handles. And when they introduced trim lines in '98 they added body colored handles for the EX. Could be wrong.

isell: I think the reason they did it that way for '97 is they rushed the vehicle over from Japan. I don't think any other Honda, at least from the mid '80s on, didn't have a trim designation. Except the '97 CR-V. Again, I could be wrong. And I also think the early '97s had the option of adding the tray free of charge.
  • memphisguy67memphisguy67 Member Posts: 4
    Have a 2003 EX with 13,800 miles bought it certified used a few months ago. My question is I have noticed that when accelerating from stand still with the A/C on that I have some stumbling...And sometimes it feels like all the power just leaves the motor. no power at all...then it builds up......almost makes me hesitate in turning left in traffic..feels like the motor boggs down...I can turn the air off and it drives like it should. I'm aware that the A/C will rob power but so much power the pedal feels dead..no response from it. Anyone else having this issue?.Is there a fix?..more likely not..but I like the car alot and this to me is the only draw back to it..so far.
    memphisguy... the symptoms you describe are almost identical to a problem I'm having with my '86 civic! i was told that my problem was likely the A/C "idle up solenoid". when you turn the a/c on, there is a controller (this solinoid) that creates a vacuum that triggers the engine to "idle up", creating enough power or voltage to run the A/C compressor. so when i turn my a/c on while i'm on the highway, i don't stall cuz there's enough RPM to support the engine at those speeds. when I'm driving in stop-and-go traffic, the car will stall with the a/c on while idling. i have a manual so we COULD have the same problem but slightly different symptoms. my car flat out stalls but then it's a manual and when it doesn't get enough gas or can't build enough RPM it stalls. your car is much newer, sophisticated and sounds like an automatic. so maybe it's less likely to stall when confronted with the same problem. well, just a thought. when you do find out what the problem is, please post back, i'd love to know how far off base i am! :-)
  • jadams84jadams84 Member Posts: 1
    Called Honda dealership today and they would not give me an exact date on when the 05 CRV's would be out. I was wondering when the best time to buy a "new" 2004 would be? I'm in no hurry. (Hopefully in the next 3-4 months) Should I wait until the 05's come out or will the stock on 04's be too thin? Any other times more conducive to better deals? What about day, month, around holidays?? Thanks for any information you can provide.
  • alphajcalphajc Member Posts: 34
    If you are not in a hurry, definitely wait for the 05 CR-V. It is expected to have head-curtain side airbags and vehicle stability assist in addition most likely fixing the fire problems that the 2003 & 2004 CR-Vs suffer from.

Honda never really has the best time to buy, because they offer weak or no incentives at all. I guess I would wait until they offer a 1.9% financing deal...that's about all you'll get from Honda.
    Honda doesn't have to offer incentives in order to move their product. They don't pad the MSRP's and then offer "cashback" programs.

We love our 2003 and don't worry about a "fire problem".