Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 GPS and Navigation

Comments

• okeyobiozookeyobiozo Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know what maps are used in the 2008 CX 9 Nav System and how and where to get a renewal?
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    An "E" version can be found here.
    http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-navigation-disk.html
    However, E may not be the newest. I have heard about the "F" version.
    Note that the version number for 2009 is different. 2009 has a different NAVI system. A DVD disk also carries some software updates. A DVD disk of 2007-2008 won't work on 2009 and vice versa.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    I've been waiting for a DVD update for my 09 CX-9 for six months now (it still has an 07 version DVD in it) and the dealer finally told me to file a complaint with Mazda Customer Service.

I called them and the agent apologized up and down and swore that it's a supplier issue and that Mazda is well aware of the problem. He also said he'd put me on the "complaint" list and that people on the list will receive all new information as soon as it's available!

I'd encourage as many of you as possible to call Mazda to complain (800-222-5500) since it's not right to have an out-dated map when you have paid for the option in good faith!
    I hope you get your new map DVD.
    However, assuming that your 09 CX9 was made at the end of 2008, it is not unusual to have 1-year old DVD on NAVI system. I have NAVI on 3 vehicles I have owned, it has been that way for all three. (1 Honda, 1 Toyota, 1 Mazda)

I am impressed by Mazda corporate service. The fact that they actually "apologize" to you.... :D
  • lpchlpch Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2009 CX9 today. I am happy with the car overall, but the navigation system is pretty bad. I picked up the car from a dealer about 60 miles away. On the way back decided to try the navigation system, The Quick route was 246 miles! telling me to go through all the side streets before getting on a freeway far away, rather than taking the most direct route. I checked the settings and everything seems fine. There seem to be quite a number of negative comments about the nav system, dated back to like 2 years ago. Does anyone know if there is a fix or one in the works? Thanks!
  • badselfbadself Member Posts: 39
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Mazda North America. The car's pretty solid, the nav is pure junk (resolution, interface, maps, and directions).

I'm at 14 months and 11,500 miles with several material warranty issues, and local service managers/service departments refusing to work honestly with me (either saying they can't replicate the issues, or saying I'm over the 12month/12,000 mile portion of the warranty, so sorry). I've set up a case and am awaiting regional response from Mazda corporate, and I've talked to a lawyer to see whether arbitration, buyback under lemon law, or tort action is a viable alternative. Not a great place to be. On the other hand, Honda has stepped up and fixed the warranty issues on my '09 Fit (less than half the cost of CX-9) in a fair manner.

Mazda may still rectify as I step up my recourses, but they've lost my future business due to the shoddy service network and dishonest warranty administration. Sad part is, the CX-9 itself is a pretty nice vehicle with decent fit/finish overall.

Hope you enjoy the vehicle, and have little to no need for your warranty. Good luck.
    "Fix"? What do you mean?
    The map on a 2009 is old (2006 version). The newer "B" version is delayed for whatever reason. Ask your dealer about it.
    Or, you might want to tune the cost function of routing.
    I found that turning ON Prefer Toll Road seems to give more reasonable routes.
    Try it. Also, you might want to set "speed" for highway, local, expressway etc.
    They all combined into a routing cost function to compute your routes.

The only problem I ever experienced was the NAVI wanted me to change 3 highways so that it could save 1 mile (out of 300miles) for me.
    THANKS A LOT!
    :)

P.S. my CX9 only had 1 small window issue after 19K miles. Still solid like day 1.
  • boostaddictboostaddict Member Posts: 1
    I do have the revision E, GP9A 66 DZ0 E, if you need a copy shoot me an email,
    jcarroll22@sc.rr.com
  • nterminintermini Member Posts: 7
    Is this the latest version? What year are the maps?
    Hold on.
    The "E" version of GP9A is for 2007 to 2008, not for 2009.
    I would advise you not to try it. The 2009 NAVI system is different from 2007-08 version. The disc is not compatible. AFAIK. Check with your dealer to see if I am correct.

Source of my reasoning....
    http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-navigation-disk.html
    See that in the pulldown menu, there is no 2009 CX9.
  • badavabadava Member Posts: 5
    The navigation seems to be suffering from either poor algo or bad data on the disc. Mine has a newer disc. [purchased the CX9 GTAWD four weeks ago in SF Bay Area.]

I was in the stoneridge mall, right at the junction of I580 & I680. We were heading to twin-peaks in south san francisco. I did a POI lookup and selected guidance. It kept asking me to take I680 south to somewhere down south of san jose and then back to south SF for a total of ~200miles. I kept driving on I580 towards Baybridge and expected it to recalculate the route and show me the shorter distance, which was ~35 miles from where I started. But it never did. Even when I was close to Bay bride it kept asking me to exit and go back on I580 and drive >200 mi!
    it is another thing that the POI did not show me twin peaks when searching under south san francisco.
    But, as of now, i'm still happy with the vehicle overall.
    Check your toll road setting.
    It probably doesn't want you to take the Bay Bridge.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    Would you please list the disc version that came with your CX? Thanks.
    I purchased the 2009 CX-9 last weekend and the disc is a 2007 version.
    2007 is the map (from MapQuest) version.
    The last English letter in the part number is the disc version.
    Yours is mostly like an "A".

e.g. For 2007-8, here is an "E" version
    part #: GP9A-66-DZ0E <--- "E"
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    Hi Ceric,

Both my Rev D and Rev E say "2007 V.1" in the Version file on the actual disc.

My wife's 2-day old 2009 CX-7 appears to have the exact same POS maps. The version info said the same via the touchscreen interface. I'll be pulling the disc in the next few days to see what the label says, however it appears to be the same as the Rev D and Rev E since a local interchange that was red-done over 2 years ago is still not correct on her disc.
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    I just found out that Mazda is selling the DVD maps online for $199.

The website is www.mazdanavigation.com
    That website has been under construction for a while now. Glad that it is back on line.

As expected, for 2007-2008, the new version is "F" with 2008.1 map.
    For 2009-2010, the new version is "B", also with 2008.1 map.
    If you buy a 2009 CX9 today, you may still get the "A" version. Talk to your dealer about this before signing on the dotted line. :)
  • cx9ownercx9owner Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to bypass the Safety Warning Screen on the 2009 Mazda CX9 Navigation Screen??? You know the screen the comes up just after you start the vehilce where you have to press the "AGREE" button before the mapping will show up. I want to bypass that screen so the map shows up instead of that stupid warning screen...is it possible to do?
    There is no known way to bypass the warning page and 5mph input lockout that are typical for all Denso NAVI system (used by Mazda, Toyota and Lexus, maybe others) thru software settings. You would need a hardware "hacking".

coastaletech.com sells a kit to by pass those, but he has not worked on Mazda yet. Note that the customer service of that site is not 1st rated. It is a family business. Your email may never be answered. Just a heads-up. :(

To bypass the 5mph input lockout, you may
    - cut the SS (speed sensor) input to the NAVI (purple wire in the back of display) and install a two-way switch so that you can cut it whenever you
    want to input data. However, doing so will shock the NAVI for a while until it gets back on its senses.
    - A better hack is to install a pulse-generator with 555 IC (skip this if you don't
    understand). This fools the NAVI into thinking that you are driving slower than
    5mph, therefore no lockout. (search the web, some guy even posted a circuit
    board layout for you for a weekend project if you are up for it.)

P.S. SS input is in the form of a sequence of pulses at certain voltage. The frequency of pulses is proportional to the speed.
    I totally understand the safety aspect of not doing entries while driving. From time to time I am on the freeway, and want to have my passenger insert another destination? Is there a way to do it without stopping the vehicle?

Thanks!
  • wdhytewdhyte Member Posts: 92
    yep; same problem my father in law has with his dodge so we just use my Garmin nuvi 770 and shut of his POS in dash system ;)

sorry, couldnt resist...
  • rjp12rjp12 Member Posts: 1
    My new 2009 CX-9 Grand Touring has the nav. However, even though I've set the user setting to Auto from Daytime or Nighttime, it isn't switching. It continues to just have the Daytime setting. This is extremely distracting at night and a complete pain when I can only switch it manually to nighttime when I'm stopped. Is this normal? My last car switched automatically and it was great. Any advice? Thanks!
    Are you aware of the push button at the upper left corner of the instrumentation panel? It controls the brightness of auto/daytime of the dash. I think it also affects the NAVI system brightness as well. Try it. Mine is always set to bright/daytime no matter what. I haven't changed it since new.
  • rookie42rookie42 Member Posts: 3
    Does the Nav system have "realtime"traffic alerts and realtime rerouting to avoid congestion/stoppages,,if so are alerts visual,audio or both?
  • jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    Nope.
  • jimevjimev Member Posts: 5
    I have the most current software available dated 2008 which does not have the
    features you mention.
  • rookie42rookie42 Member Posts: 3
    Thnx for your info...new to forum and CX-9..brochure I p/u at dealer shows under options..Nav system dvd based w/voice command,real-time traffic and 7" touch screen. Curious/puzzeled how real-time traffic info works or,if it exists?
    Must be new to the 2010 model. Someone at the dealership should be able to
    answer your question or get the official answer from someone.
    You could also call MAZDA directly 800 222-5500 - Let me know what you find out.
    Real-time Traffic is new for 2010.
    There are two kinds of Real-time traffic:
    - FM based - like most portable GPS units with this feature. It picks up info from FM RDS system, and display icons to represent problem areas and highway/expressways slowdown in colors.
    - Sirius/XM-based. This you will have to pay monthly fee for.

I don't know which system the 2010 NAVI system has. As mentioned above, call Mazdausa.com for details. Or, maybe someone with 2010 can explain more.
  • nbiznbiz Member Posts: 1
    Yeah, we get the same mis-routing. I'd say that 4 out of 5 of the routes it gives us are crap, and yes we do have the proper settings.

My favorite feature is that once we've passed an exit that the nav system ridiculously wants us to take, it won't give up, and will continually tell us to either take the next exit or to make a u-turn on the freeway.

The car is great, but I wish I could return the nav. The hundred dollar hand-held we bought 3 years ago does a better job.
    nbiz,
    I know. I suffer from this all the times. It is the cost function of programming.
    When the GPS gives you choices of routes (shortest, quickest, alternative..), make sure you pick the "quickest" if you dislike U-turns. From GPS' perspective, taking the U-turns back is still the shortest routes until certain miles have passed, then it changes its "mind". There should be a cost/penalty for U-turns and highway junctions, but apparently they are not factors in the routing cost function.

I found that choosing the "quickest" usually gives me more reasonable routes.
    I was getting a lot of mis-direction from the nav system when I first bought my car, and I thought I have the setting right. I then experimented with it and now the nav system works quite well. I realized that I have to set the system to use "unnamed roads", "private roads", everything. Because the ramp of the freeways are "unnamed" according to the nav system and when I sent that to "avoid", the nav system would turn out some really funky directions.
    Try that if you have not turn all the settings on. For me, I now only occassionally use my Tom Tom to supplement.
    BTW, does anyone know if there is a way to use the nav system while driving?
  • buyer101buyer101 Member Posts: 80
    Ceric you are very tech savvy I must say

555 IC ...Takes me back to my college days ...course on integrated circuits and design
    NAVI fix....I am looking for an improved system myself...They really need to improve
    it BUT like you I love the car....If I don't not buy another it will be due to the performance of the NAVI and the limitations of the Bluetooth Phone set-up Especially the LIMITED voice activated phone book....
  • kikatkikat Member Posts: 4
    while driving, you can still use the map (via touch screen) to enter a destination. This works alright with contacts in your addressbook - they are shown with a push pin or other symbol. You first zoom out until you can see the area with the symbol, or you can use a sliding gesture of your finger to move the map. Once you see the symbol, zoom in to 1/2 mile (for larger scales, the navi does not allow you to select a destination) and set is as destination.

I agree with all of the complaints about navi and bluetooth - for a car of this class, this poor performance is not acceptable. While these limitations do not show during a test drive (at least not for me), Mazda will probably not get repeat business from their customers (at least not from me).

I have had my CX-9 for two years now, shame on Mazda for not showing any effort to improve the well documented shortcomings.
  • amshah97amshah97 Member Posts: 10
    I've only had the 2010 CX-9 for a week, but I'm pretty certain it's FM based. I was surprised to see traffic info show up on the screen. And somewhere there's a place to set which FM station to use for the info.
  • bkzbkz Member Posts: 2
    I can confirm this works. We bought a new CX-9 this weekend and had the same issue, until I played with it and discovered the dimmer switch at top left of the instrument cluster. Pressing it puts it in auto mode so nav will dim at night along with instrument gauges.
  • spddare65spddare65 Member Posts: 7
    Is it just my system, or does the voice activation feature on the CX-9 navigation stink? I'm ready to rip what's left of my hair out over this. Anybody else have problems? If not I'll go to the dealer; if it's a common problem I'll learn to live with it.

Thanks
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    I would recommend doin the "voice training" routine where you sit through and repeat words as specified in the manual. You'll find these instructions in the user manuals.
    I did the voice training for the bluetooth, that was the only one I found (i'll look again). But I take it this means that yours works fine?
    What model year is your car? I have a 2007. I gave up on the Voice Activation a long time ago. I love my CX-9 over-all BUT if I go to another vehicle it will be because
    of limitations of the computer interfaces. Navigation as well as Bluetooth. With the
    Bluetooth it is the Voice Activation - 32 entries is way too few for me.
    2010. I couldn't agree with you more. I just got mine, and I love it. My original plan was to get the Ford Edge, which is essentially the same vehicle, but Consumer Reports said - and rightfully so - that the CX 9 had a much better fit and finish. With all due respect to Ford the Microsoft Sync system that their vehicles are equipped with is awesome. That said, I love my CX-9, but the navigation is gonna make me nuts.
    edited April 2010
    "...was to get the Ford Edge, which is essentially the same vehicle..."

Care to elaborate?
    I know many things on board a CX9 are sourced from Japan, such as navigation, transmission, SmartKey system, etc. CX9 shares with Edge the chassis and Duratec engine. The former was lengthened, and latter, heavily modified.
    The AWD system is entirely Mazda's.

When you said "essentially the same", it was a very strong statement.
    :surprise:
    I'm not entirely sure what got you so upset, but since you asked...... the CX-9 and the Edge were designed by Ford Motor Co. engineers when ford owned significant enough a share of Mazda, that they called it their own and you could access the Mazda USA website through Fordvehicles.com. While it's true the CX-9 is built in Hiroshima and the Edge is built in Ontario they share a chassis an engine, a body design and other sundry items. Park your CX-9 next to a same model year edge and look at it with an unbiased eye and you will see the similarity is striking. All of that said, I find the Mazda CX-9 to have a much better fit and finish and a generally nicer interior and I love mine- wouldn't trade it.

But to get back to the original topic, is it just my voice activation that stinks or should i take it to the dealer and get it looked at?
    No. I wasn't upset at all. You should read my post again.
    I was just not in agreement with your view on the "essentially the same" statement.
  • kikatkikat Member Posts: 4
    As far as I know, voice training is possible only for the built-in bluetooth phone system, not for the GPS system. Unfortunately, Mazda decided to make the two systems independent from each other, instead of integrating them into one user interface. This is a known and old shortcoming of an otherwise nice car...
    Just for fun: ask your passengers to say "home" after entering voice recognition mode, and see what the system makes out of it. This is a true source of entertainment, over and over again...
    If I get right up to the microphone and scream "go home" it gets it about 80% of the time. "Cancel" is usually answered by "displaying gas stations".
  • edavidedavid Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2010 CX-9 with the Nav system about 3 weeks ago. After finding it complicated to use and providing idiot guidance, I went online and found similar complaints but I also found postings with suggestions.
    Under Menu/Route Options/Route preferences set everything to "Prefer" and always choose the "Quickest" route when putting in a destination. We did this and now it works fine. Using the Nav system is not intuitive, but like everything, its easy if you know what you are doing. You have to play with it to learn how it works - the manual helps a little. The Nav system voice activation does not seem to work well. One posting said that the Nav system voice activation and the phone/bluetooth system were separate systems. I believe it because the voice activation for the phone works and for the Nav system it doesn't.
    edited May 2010
    "Quickest" usually gets you the route you want, not the shortest, which is probably the default if you let it choose by itself.
    For example, I was led through more than 10 miles of local/city streets before getting on a highway, while another highway entrance was near me within 1/2 mile. Just because that 1/2 was in the wrong direction. Any sense person would have chosen to get on the highway since my trip was more than 120 miles!

Always choose the "Quickest".
    The is the same for any Lexus/Toyota navi system since they are also from Denso.
    :shades:

Voice activation?
    My wife has a Toyota Prius with a similar Denso navi system. Both have "amuzing" voice feature. It only has entertainment value....no practical usage :P