Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Auto Door Locks

wymiwymi Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Hyundai
Does anyone know how to enable the automatic door locks? I want the locks to automatically lock when the car starts to move.

Thanks.

Comments

• jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    There's lots of information, just use the search function for "door locks".
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    It's my understanding that this is a dealer programmed function. It's been discussed here before and that is the conclusion. The Sonata is not like GM products that allow you to program these functions by yourself.
  • pekelopdpekelopd Member Posts: 139
    definitely dealer activated. Some will try to charge you as much as $100 for it. Many will not to keep a happy & loyal customer. If I recall, the feature is not enabled because some owners don't desire it (me for one, don't need the unnecessary activation/wear & tear on the powerdoor lock actuators), and also because I think there was 3 different speed intervals to pick when it will activate (5, 10, 15??)
  • stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    I was told by the dealership 15 MPH was the only setting they could put it on. The customer representative told me that they did the activations themselvs - not the mechanics. He led me to believe it was a very simple thing to do. They did not attempt to charge me. I like the feature alot. I always lock my door so whether I remember to do it or the car does it automatically the wear and tear is the same.
  • jimstrenkjimstrenk Member Posts: 56
    Automatic Door Locks are shipped to dealers DISABLED by DEFAULT. It is NOT part of DEALER PREP. :confuse:

Expect to pay $48.50 to have them programed. :cry:

If you haven't bought the car yet, make it part of the deal so you won't have to pay to have the locks ENABLED.

As only being able to set the locks at one speed (15 MPH) is a bunch of hogwash. :P

Your owners manual will give I think up to 5 different settings. I had mine set to 19 MPH which is a function of KPH. This allows the car to travel past parking spaces and building entries without having the darn locks foul things up as you got to pick up passengers. :)

As to ENABLING LOCKS by YOURSELF, unless you come up with the scratch to purchase the diagnostic computer to do the programing involved. You won't be able to do it yourself. :sick:
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    You don't have to negotiate the auto door lock setting as part of the deal. The auto door lock setting is a STANDARD FEATURE. All standard features should be functional upon delivery.

We did not negotiate the auto door locks while committing to our recent purchase (over the phone, 100 miles away). It was activated at delivery. Takes less than 5 minutes. Just plug in the computer, punch a couple of buttons and it's done.

Dealers who attempt to charge extra to activate all standard equipment are just ripping off their customers?

Didn't we have this conversation some months ago.
  • wymiwymi Member Posts: 3
    My dealer was more then happy to activate the door lock feature, even washed the car for us. We went back today and bought a second 2007 Sonata. They remembered we wanted the door locks activated and did it with out asking before delivering the car.
  • flc2006flc2006 Member Posts: 81
    I got my locks activated for free, im glad that the locks automatically lock for safety reason it is great not having to worry about locking the door yourself, sometimes i forget.
  • mort4371mort4371 Member Posts: 27
    Wow. I must really be in a different place as far as this auto-lock thing goes. I'm glad Hyundai made it optional as to on or off.

In fact, I despise this 'feature' so thoroughly that if it were an always-on, non defeatable presence, I most likely would have bought a different car. (I like my Sonata, so I'm glad it wasn't!)
    I'm with you Mort. When I get into a car on our lot and it auto locks I grab the owners manual to see if I can disengage that fuction. I still would have bought my car and lived with it though.
  • richardr35richardr35 Member Posts: 8
    I work at a dealership and we do typically charge $25.00 for this feature as it is not part of the PDI. And for some reason I can't seem to get my mechanics to work for free? If anyone knows of mechanics that buy their own tools and work for free please let me know, I need them here working for me ASAP.
  • hotrod54hotrod54 Member Posts: 82
    I, along with many other posters, have had the auto locks activated at NO CHARGE. It literally took 5 minutes in and out. :P
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    So, your dealership is charging something extra for a standard feature to be operational when the car is delivered to the customer.

Why do you "typically" charge $25 for this 5 minute or less activation process? Is it just another profit item? We know Hyundai has sent dealers a statement that activatiing the auto door locks is not a warranty item...it should be done at time of sale AT NO EXTRA CHARGE. By "typical" do you means some are charged more and some are charged less?

Good golly, a guy who is paid to check tire pressure (no high skill required) could set the auto locks. All he'd have to know is where to plug in the hand held device and be able to push a couple buttons answering the 4 or 5 questions. All done. Any kid in 3rd grade (maybe younger) could do that.

What is your dealership's name and where are you located so potential customers will know where to find you?
  • drdonrsdrdonrs Member Posts: 164
    When I bought my 06 Azera the dealer programmed the locks and the limp home mode at no charge. Now maybe the fact that I bought 2 cars from them,06 Sonata LX6 and my Azera Limited, had something to do with it but I really don't think so. My service manager has always gone the "extra mile" to satisfy his customers. In business you have to offer certain services which show that you care. A little TLC goes a long way in cultivating customer loyalty. :)
    Don
  • pekelopdpekelopd Member Posts: 139
    What sarcasm!! So everyone, if you're ever in Houston, Tx, and you want the auto door lock feature activated, go pay Richard a visit. Just as for the GSM... $25 give or take! ;)
  • flc2006flc2006 Member Posts: 81
    The problem is i can lock all the doors with a key but i can only unlock the driver's door with the key, it states in the owner's manual that if i turn the key right once only the driver's side door will unlock if i repeat the same pattern all other doors will unlock,also with only the the key unlocking the driver's door also sounds the alarm is that pretty unsual with the NF?

What do you think is the problem ?
    "the dealer programmed the locks and the limp home mode"

I FINALLY read the previous posts. Limp Home mode is programmable?
  • hytechhytech Member Posts: 5
    it is only done through the hyundai dealer scanner and should not charge you since it is just not set at the factory for the fact that not everyone wants that featureand the lowest setting is 15 mph
  • dxwdxw Member Posts: 4
    Unfortunately some dealers do charge some 40$ for the programming work.
  • cmw829cmw829 Member Posts: 19
    I could understand charging if the setup were offered at delivery and declined by the buyer. But if my experience is typical, I didn't even know the option existed until I read the forum and my owner's manual. Otherwise, I could have asked them to enable it before taking delivery.
    Sounds like a freebie to me. You'll probably regret the change. Shame on me once, shame on you twice. :P
This discussion has been closed.