Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe

bjohnson2007bjohnson2007 Member Posts: 1
Does anyone have info on what to expect for the 2008 Santa Fe ??

Comments

• sprintrpssprintrps Member Posts: 62
    I think they are going to add a screen on the heater ducts under the front seats, as per my Post # 77 listed under 2007 Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair..
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    As 2007 was the model year which Hyundai introduced the new Santa Fe, look for minor enhancements with the overall package being carried over for the 2008 model year. The general consensus in the industry has most automakers carrying over for second-year models (with the exception of a few), and makes sense from a financial standpoint.
  • crowartcrowart Member Posts: 25
    Garmin GPS navigation system will be optional.

Don't know what else. I am praying for a proximity auto-starter to be standard, like it is on the Veracruz.
    Any more news? Rumors?
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    ...I'm hoping that the 2008 nav unit will be retrofittable into my 2007 Santa Fe Limited. I'd be a very happy guy if the unit was "plug 'n' play" into my 2007. We'll see.
  • chpchp Member Posts: 3
    The pioneer avic d3 navigation receiver with fit perfectly in the 07 santa fe with no
    alterations to the vehicle or wiring. There is a wiring harness available as well as a new trim plate. Took a hour to install it and has the best ipod controller i've seen as well as satellite radio , blue tooth, and dvd player. The unit is about $ 1200.00 and i can bet you
    the factory unit if available in 08 , it will be about 3 times the price. there is even an option
    to have the steering wheel controls functional.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    The Pioneers are on Ebay for about $750 ...then you need the harness and faceplate.

personally I like the portable ones. I have a garmin Nuvi 350 that I move from car to car. Fantastic accuracy (Like 10 ft) and actual text to speech function.

Pioneer rapes you when new cds come out with maps(as do all built ins). The garmin 350-360's are now down to maybe $350-400 and there is a bigger 660 out too. Mine actually switches to night lighting at sundown by itself...great unit...but then and again, I do not keep cars for more than 3 or 4 yrs. It is is also nice if you go for a hike...it has about a 4 hr battery + mp3 player to boot (sd cards) If the SF only had an ipod jack it would plug into that and interrupt the music when it had something to say.
    It is great when I travel too...I just toss it into the suitcase and put it into the rent a car....where I REALLY need it!!! :)

Who knows, maybe i will keep the 07 SF.....
  • kdahlquistkdahlquist Member Posts: 130
    I agree that portable nav systems like the Garmin Nuvi are the best way to go. I have a Nuvi 250 and it's awesome -- about the size of a deck of cards, completely portable for when I go on the road, and street price is around $350. It works as well or better than the $2000 factory nav system in my wife's 2005 Honda Odyssey.

As for the Santa Fe, the factory stereo is a standard "Double DIN" size, which means any aftermarket double DIN head unit will fit fine and look great. Since I don't want in-dash NAV, I'm looking to upgrade the factory stereo in my 07 Santa Fe Limited AWD with something like the JVC KW-AVX800 or Kenwood DDX7019, both of which provide 7" touch-screen displays, DVD playback, iPod interface, Bluetooth connectivity, etc. Street prices for these units seem to be around $600-700, plus a little more for installation and accessories like the iPod and bluetooth adapters.
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    I'm thinking of getting a Garmin Nuvi 360 portable or a Tom Tom One package for $299 at Costco.- do they have to be connected to the windscreen suction cup base or can they be used without it ? (i.e. on it's own - walking around town,etc.)

I saw from the Garmin installation procedure have it has to to be plugged in to the base when installed on the windshield. I've never had one before, so I'm not sure of all the pro's and cons yet.
    Thanks for any info you or others could provide.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Navigation GPS Systems discussion too.
    I'm not familiar with the TomTom but the Nuvi has an internal rechargeable battery that is good for about 8-10 hours (supposedly -- I haven't checked). You can walk around with it all you want, and it works fine. Plugging it in doesn't do anything more than recharge the battery.
    I do not like the windshield mount either. It also comes with sticky pads for your dashboard that the mount will suction to...they are almost impossible to remove though so that was out. I fashioned a holder to fit into the cupholder and it works just fine using the supplied suction mount (and anything on the windshield is illegal in Calif and I believe Minn.)Besides, They can fall off and destroy your GPS (It is not that fragile though) I put a screen protector on mine...Touch screen BTW.

The Nuvi 350 is VERY sensitive...I remember when I first got it, I was playing with it in my computer room about 3 ft from a window....I had a signal from at least 6 sats and couldn't believe it...did not lose it until I was about 15 ft from a window either. (Sirf III chip is the best imho)...you can also get a mount with a beanbag from Garmin that sits on the dash or on ebay a mount that clips to the air vent louvers....The Beanbag is great but is expensive when you add in the special garmin mount for it (about $55)....as I said it is very sensitive and works well pretty much anywhere within the front area of the SF
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    Thanks - I appreciate the info. I've seen the Garmin Nuvi 360 with hands free Bluetooth advertised for $404 - I'm tempted to get it.

The Tom-Tom unit has bluetooth connectivity only , which in sales-speak means that you have to subscribe to their extra cost suplemental signal to use it, whereas in the Nuvi unit it's already built in.

I tested both out at best buy, and the Nuvi is a much better screen, voice volume and look, but more expensive.
    Tom Tom is good as long as you only want simple navi.
    The "unofficial" rumor is that GPS will be offered by Hyundai on 2008 models. I'm hoping that if it is, the factory-installed unit will be able to be retrofitted into our 2007 Santa Fes. Even though I know it would cost significantly more than an aftermarket hand-held unit, I'd be willing to pay the extra $$$ for an all-factory look. We'll see.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see in-dash Nav offered as an option on the 2008 Santa Fe. It's already an option in Europe and Korea (though from what I can tell, in Europe it is a dealer-installed "accessory" and not a factory "option"). That said(tm), you can easily install a factory "look" in-dash nav system in a 2007 Santa Fe. The Santa Fe uses a standard "Double DIN" size audio system. Pioneer, Panasonic, Dual, Kenwood and others make double DIN head units with 6.5-7.0" touch screen displays, and you can get them with DVD or HD-based navigation, as well as DVD playback, iPod interfaces, Bluetooth, etc. Installed in your 2007 Santa Fe, they will look as "factory" as anything else, because they are a perfect fit. Street prices for a DVD-based Double DIN nav unit start at around $700 plus install right now, with top-of-line units like the Pioneer AVIC or the Panasonic Strada selling for $1200-1500 plus install (compared to $2,000+ for most "factory" nav systems). The in-dash units available on the Korean and Euro market Santa Fe are nothing more than these same double DIN units, made for Hyundai by the same companies, but marked up 50-100% when you buy it with your Hyundai.
    Yeah, I was thinking that the Pioneer AVIC D3 would be great. It even lets you choose from over 30,000 colors for backlighting the control buttons; surely it can be set up to match the Santa Fe's blue lighting. The problem, though, is that it has only one disc drive. Of course Pioneer downplays this in their literature but the fact is, if you want to use navigation while listening to CDs you need to switch back and forth between the two media. I'd hate that. The much more expensive Pioneer doesn't have the wide choice of lighting colors so it would not match the existing blue lighting. I'm still going to hope that I can retrofit the "factory" unit if and when it becomes available.
  • flwonderflwonder Member Posts: 33
    When will the 2008 Santa Fe be in the
    dealer's showrooms?
  • musky1gfmmusky1gfm Member Posts: 36
    Not till Sept. You would be smart to purchase a 07' at that time-should be some very good deals than.Only difference on 08' will probably be some different colors,besides the info above
  • flwonderflwonder Member Posts: 33
    Thanks musky1gfm. Sounds like a plan. Only about 60 days
    from now and the discounts or rebates should be attractive.
    I doubt if one could tell the difference between an 07 and
    08 from 50 feet away.

Flwonder
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    Why don't you just get a portable unit? They are better and about 1/5 the cost of a factory unit. And you can use it in all your cars. I find I can only drive one car at a time, so a portable unit works in for me. :)
    Yeah, that's a consideration although our other 2 cars (2006 Mazda 3 and 2005 Corvette) already have factory navigation. I also prefer the look of an in-dash unit; it's just a personal preference. I'm going to wait and see if Hyundai offers navigation in 2008 and if so, whether or not the unit will work in my '07. If so, that's what I'll get; if not, I'll check out the other options.
  • davesuvdavesuv Member Posts: 149
    After using the built-in navigation system in our Lexus RX350, I too was disappointed that I couldn't get one on my Santa Fe. I ended up buying a Garmin StreetPilot c340. One of the better purchases I've ever made. The user interface on the Garmin is much nicer/easier than our built-in Lexus one. Plus, I really like being able to take the unit inside with me to program potential destinations when we're on a trip. It also enables you to plan out your next day's activities or potential restaurants without having to sit in the car.

After trying out a few locations, I now keep mine mounted at the lower left corner of the windshield (to the left of the steering wheel). This keeps the screen in my field of view - much nicer and safer for me than having to look down at the center console. It's also easier to reach and does not obscure any road visibility. I run the power cord straight down, then tucked out of the way under the dash across to the center, where it plugs in.

Garmin now has the Nuvi series, which uses the same user interface, but are thinner and have a more sensitive satellite antenna. I strongly recommend one that speaks the street names, which I find very useful. I have no experience with other brands.

2007 Santa Fe AWD Limited with Premium and Touring packages
    Dark Cherry Red with beige leather interior
    I will vouch for the Nuvi 350 and the street name callouts. My previous TomTom would say take right turn in 500 ft...well sometimes there may be 2 or more right turns within approx 500 ft. The Nuvi says "In 500 ft take right turn on "Virginia street" for example...it also recalculates VERY quickly if you deviate from what it thinks is the correct route. Also no cds to load. I stopped buying the built in Navs a few years ago since IMHO they are way overpriced, less accurate and less features. My friend has a 1999 Porsche (built in Nav) and within 3 yrs he was unable to get new cd maps for it...Paperweight now. I think the Nuvi maps about due for an update...will also be expensive I am sure.

At least with the Nuvi 350 at under $400,(was $1000 when it came out!) you can always toss it and buy something new if they stop selling new map updates and buy a new model when needed...not to mention the car to car and travel portability. The SIRF III chipset is accurate to within about 10 ft...Not to mention that within 3-5 yrs...I am sure there will be many more advances, not to mention that the Nuvi can be firmware updated over the Net I have updated the firmware at least 4 times since I bought it a year and 1/3 ago....I really am sold on mine. (it also is an MP3 player with SD cards....The garmin interface is VERY straight forward as well) unfortunately Hyundai neglected to put an input jack on its stock Radio, so I don't use that feature when the Nuvi is in the SF.

BTW: I do NOT work for Garmin :)
  • tuggerstuggers Member Posts: 52
    I've been looking at this one at Sam's Club for $549.
    I know it can play audible books. Anyone have any other info or opinions on this unit?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It sounds like some of the units come with 2008 (v9) maps while others have the v8 maps. There's no way to tell by looking at the boxes what version is installed on the unit. Some people who got a similar deal from Costco last week got a little ticked when they found out they have to pay for the v9 upgrade when others got v9 with their unit.

Since it's a $75 update fee, if you buy it you may want to make sure you can return it if you think you want the latest map version.

The posters over in the Navigation / GPS Systems discussion may know the real skinny - I just saw a few people complaining about the map versions over on Fatwallet.com
  • ricknjricknj Member Posts: 5
    you have to know what you need first with choosing between tom tom or garmin, i tried both and each has its advantage over the other but user friendly wise; recalculating navigation option when you come up with traffic to redirect you say 1-3 mile around traffic feature i like and the follow the dot thing as well as the turns didnt care much about the street being called out because i see the list of streets anyway on the screen, also i can see better with my prescription sunglasses on with the lcd screen unlike the garmin nuvi which was cool too because it was thin and had so many point of interest including the address and phone number of what you are looking for in your search but battery life was bad (4 hrs tom 510 with lots of turns/voice prompting and lcd light on all the way), i have the tom tom 510 and it works fine for my needs so bottom line you gotta know your needs first, circuit city has extended warranty i purchased didnt know the tom tom had a reset button when it froze on me returned it after a few months they gave me new one where in i added a few bucks upgraded to the 510 didnt need the hard drive for the 910, garmin nuvi i found hard to remove from the the glass unlike my tom 510 i can easily remove with one hand so as setting it up is easy. my last string was i almost got into an accident with the garmin once ,recalculating i disagree because its slow to my liking (sorry garmin users) i ended up returning it. you got to compare and try dont just go by what other people say too, i went with the looks for the garmin nuvi but ended up with a user friendly one with the tom tom.
  • themoonmanthemoonman Member Posts: 12
    I have the Pioneer AVIC-D3 and am very happy with it. It is a good fit in the double din opening. It also has a lot of options available, and a lot of adjustments to fine tune the system. You can set the control lighting to match the blue in the Santa Fe. The way the Navigation works is- when you program a destination you need the DVD in the player. The system pulls the route information off the DVD and stores it in an internal memory. Yo can then remove the Navigation DVD and load another disc.
  • sduff68sduff68 Member Posts: 52
    I have owned a Garmin Nuvi 350 for about a year and a half and it was worth the $800.00 I paid for it! It usually stays in my wife's car. Being able to buy it now for $400.00-500.00 now is a bargain! I doubt many in dash car units are this good!

The ease of use, text to speech feature (street names instead of turn right in 500 feet), small size, and long battery life are great features. Once you upgrade your software you can download different little icons to match the general shape and color of your car.

I had a Magellan 2200T that I bought formy car, and though it was a good basic Navigation system and could get you to where you wanted to go it had a very un intuitive interface that was extremely frustrating to figure out after leaving the Nuvi. You couldn't search for a new destination or point of interest without cancelling the destination you wer heading to (like you can on the Nuvi). And locating what you were trying to find in the point of interest database was almost impossible.

You can also change the accent of the voices (male, female, American, British, Australian, etc). Right now my wife and I prefer the female Australian voice, sounds more realistic.

One of the best features are the points of interest feature. It is so easy to find local stores, fast food places, gas stations in your area. Even though my maps are a year old my points of interest are usually accurate.
  • slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    Thanks for posting the information, I have been considering the Nuvi 350 or 650.
  • lizelize Member Posts: 12
    does anyone know if they will be including a rollover sensor (Mazda CX7/Rav4 have them) to the '08 models as well as the backup cameras?
    I haven't seen anything regarding the 2008 Santa Fe (and I've been checking all of the usual sources). The only rumor I've heard (and it's by no means substantiated) is that navigation will be optional at some point in the model year (not necessarily in the beginning). That's it so far.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Guess what. There will be a navigation system available on the 2008 Santa Fe. It's the LG system that the veracruz is getting. Hope this helps.
    Do you have a reliable source for this info? Any word on whether or not it will be available at the beginning of the model year? Can the unit be fitted into a 2007? Thanks.
  • tpfilm1tpfilm1 Member Posts: 25
    From WSFA TV 12 in Montgomery, AL:

"We may only be half-way through 2007, but Montgomery's Hyundai plant is busy churning out 2008 model Santa Fe's.

About 100 new SUV's rolled off the assembly line Thursday. Officials say once the vehicle is in full production 350 to 400 will be manufactured daily.

The 2008 Santa Fe will hit showroom floors in about two months. There's no word yet on pricing."
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Yes because they announced it on the Veracruz. Another hyundai forum knows someone who works at HMA.
    July 14, 2007
    Montgomery Hyundai plant rolls out first 2008 Santa Fes

By Cosby Woodruff

Hyundai began production of its 2008 Santa Fe sport utility vehicles Monday, when the plant reopened after the July 4 week. A handful of Santa Fes -- Hyundai won't say exactly how many -- were declared "pilot vehicles."

Then the company put those first vehicles through the wringer.

Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama puts every vehicle it makes through the paces on a 2.3-mile test track at the plant. But when the car company changes the model year, the new units get an even tougher workout to ensure that all the changes in the new year's models work as planned.

The pilot vehicles are used strictly for testing. They never will leave HMMA, according to Jason Pezold, assistant manager of line inspection.

"We hold them here for transportation around the property," he said.

Only after the pilot vehicles pass a series of benchmarks will HMMA send the 2008 vehicles to Hyundai dealers.

Because changes to the Santa Fe were minor and mostly cosmetic this year, that testing goes fairly quickly, Pezold said. In fact, the Santa Fe could start shipping to dealerships as early as today.

"So far, so good," Pezold said when asked how the pilot vehicle inspections are going.

"This is a minor model change. There are no external changes, and to the buyer, it will be very minimal."

Pezold said HMMA vehicles overwhelmingly pass inspection, but that inspectors are told to fail every vehicle that has questions.

"We are focused on customer satisfaction," he said. "Our fallout is very small."

HMMA went through the same pilot vehicle procedure about three months ago when it changed the Sonata from its 2007 model to 2008. Hyundai's mid-size sedan stayed much the same from one year to the next, but it did have more changes than the Santa Fe.

Still, HMMA testers found no major problems.

"From my perspective, it went very well," Pezold said.

Hyundai officials said the minor changes to both the Sonata and the Santa Fe point to the vehicles' popularity with consumers. The Sonata is Hyundai's best-selling unit, and the Santa Fe has the fastest-growing sales numbers.

Vehicle inspection at HMMA begins as soon as the final touches are put on a new unit. After it is started for the first time at the end of the assembly line, it is pulled to the inspection booth, where a team checks the outside of the vehicle.

The driver follows instructions on a video screen while the vehicle sits on rollers, then slams on the brakes.

On the track, the vehicle really gets a workout.

Kevin Vinson, one member of the test-driver team, gave a quick rundown. Everything from the power mirrors and windows to the sunroof are tested. The air conditioner, heater, audio system, instrumentation and remote entry keychain are checked.

Finally, Vinson takes the vehicle on the track where it's put through sudden, hard S-turns, sudden stops, accelerates to highway speed then checks the alignment by releasing the steering wheel.

Grooves in the pavement simulate rough roads, and a hill allows Vinson to test the parking brake.

Then the vehicle heads for the shower booth, where it is sprayed with heavy streams of water to test door and window seals to test for leaks.

If the unit passes every test, it is sent to a company called Montgomery Vehicle Processing that checks the inspection then sends it out a special door -- called the Money Door -- where it is handed over to Hyundai Motor America, the company's U.S. sales arm.

The rare vehicles failing Hyundai's test are sent to a special area of the plant, where workers repair or replace defective parts.

Hyundai worker Kevin Vinson tests a 2008 Sante Fe.

Pictures from Montgomery Advertiser
    Follow this link to see some video of an '08...

2008 Test

The video is at the bottom of page. Description says take a virtual test drive.
    Thanks very much for posting. As near as I can tell, none of the info released shows any changes for 2008. I was hoping to see confirmation of the availability of navigation but it looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer for that info.
    any indication that this may have been included? they'd be quite remiss not to given the competitors all have it as standard/optional....
    Look for navigation on the 2008 model. Other changes should be announced soon.
  • chrislegg1chrislegg1 Member Posts: 19
    When I was at the dealership, they said the 2008s would not have the option of third row seating - he said it had not been popular (I can understand why - access is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]) and that the Veracruz gave them a model with that feature. Who knows how true that is, though.

Chris
    your dealership seems sto know more than most -- we have no info here....are you able to find out about a rollover sensor or navigation for the 2008s? which dealership/where?
    Then I'm really glad I bought my '07 with Touring, because the entire reason I bought it was for the 3rd row. My 7 year old loves it. Access is actually a lot better than in the RAV4, and the seat is larger and roomier, too. The passenger side 2nd row seat folds and flips forward, making access quite easy, in my view -- not as easy as in my wife's Odyssey with 2nd row captain's chair, but certainly no more difficult that it was to access the 3rd row in the '02 Yukon XL we used to have, and I can't see how access in the Santa Fe is any more difficult than it is in the Veracruz.

I bought the Santa Fe specifically because is was the most compact SUV that offered a reasonable 3rd row. I think Hyundai is missing a big market opportunity if they give up on it. They probably just need to advertise that feature a little more, and they'll discover lots of people like me who want three-row seating but in a compact vehicle.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    i agree - the 3rd row is what sold me - and beat out the outlander we originally wanted - the Santa Fe with the 3rd row cost so much less than the Outlander equipped with it.... I think a lot more people these days want that option even if they never use it - most people do not want to go the mini van route - so you can keep the man and woman happy offering a 3rd row...
  • blnewtoblnewto Member Posts: 146
    I hope the '08 Limited has a premium package that features everything except the third row seat. I really want the Infinity system, but it cannot be ordered without a third row seat, that's a serious mistake IMO, as I'm fairly certain a large % of folks have no need for the extra seating capacity. I also consider the hidden storage a nice feature.
    According to Hyundai's website, "Premium" basically means "sunroof", and "Touring" means "7-seats".

The "Ultimate" package has a 605 Watt, 10 speaker + subwoofer included. I don't know if it's Infinity brand or not.

"Ultimate" alone is a 5-seater. "Touring + Ultimate" is 7 seats.

"Ultimate" always includes "Premium" (sunroof).
  • blnewtoblnewto Member Posts: 146
    Thanks for the quick reply, I was spending too much time cross shopping different packages and got a bit sidetracked. What I'm really wishing for is the otion to get the Limited w/ the premium stereo upgrade along w/ the Sunroof. We rarely have passengers in our car long enough to get any benefit from the DVD package.
    You can get the Infinity audio system without the 3rd row seating in the Ultimate Package. There's no way, however, to get the Infinity system without the DVD entertainment system. (this is model year 2007 info; I haven't seen 2008 info yet.)
    3rd row will not be phased away. The 08 Santa Fe will have third row available with Touring package on the SE and Limited trims.