Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• vballplayer30vballplayer30 Member Posts: 27
    Does anyone know if i buy the new TL at a NJ dealer and register it in NY where I live, will it still be covered by the NY lemon Law? The Ny dealer says it won't and the NJ dealer says of course it will! what a shocker!!
  • traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    cut and copied from lord knows where: (google NY lemon law)

The law covers both new and used cars, including "demos," which satisfy the following four conditions:

The car was covered by the manufacturer's new car warranty at the time of original delivery; and
    The car was purchased, leased or transferred within the earlier of the first 18,000 miles or two years from the date of original delivery; and
    The car either: (a) was purchased, leased or transferred in New York, or (b) is presently registered in New York; and
    The car is primarily used for personal purposes. Some examples of cars that are covered by the new car lemon law are:
    a new car purchased or leased from a New Jersey dealer and registered in New York; a year-old, demonstrator car with less than 18,000 miles purchased from a New York dealer and registered in New Jersey;
    a used car with less than 18,000 miles and less than 2-years old, purchased from a Connecticut dealer and registered in New York;
    a used car with less than 18,000 miles and less than 2-years old, received as a gift from a friend and registered in New York.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    You've had 5 TL's in the last 5 years?! That means you have bought several within the same model generation. May I ask why?
  • traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    Keith,

I noticed you are from ATL. Having purchased 5 TL's, I assume you have a bit of experience with local dealers. Any positive-negative comments? I'm in the Delk-Cobb Pkwy area often for work. Thanks.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    GOLFSKI-- You sure your buddys cars were started?? Car and driver has under 5 seconds to 60 on the BEEMER--TL is over a second longer.
  • lax29lax29 Member Posts: 42
    Has anyone ever put one of these on their car? Been reading and hear that a lot of people use them. When I do decide to take the plunge and purchase the white 09 TL, was thinking about using one. My 04 TL as taken a beating on the frt bumper.
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    I have dealt with most of the Acura dealers in Metro ATL. I woudl say the worst by far is Nalley on Cobb parkway. Just bad sales people and hard to geta good deal. Jackson Acura is where I bought the last 3, the first 2 I got at Acura Carland. Acura Carlan has gone throuh owner changes and thus is not that great any more. Ed Voyles Acura is decent, but just never got the best deals there either. Jackson ou have to work to get a good deal, but you will get a good deal and I over the last 2 years now knwo the owner and most of the senior sales staff. Not only did I buy 3 TLs there, but I brought my buddy there to get one and we bought my girl friends daughter a used car there. Ask for Chege and tell him I sent you. Let me know if you buy from him.
    I bought 5 becaue i love the car. I owned a 04 for 22 months and wanted to geta 06 with Nav. Drove that for 8 months then thought I wanted to drive something more economical, drove something else for a while then got an 07 TL. In Agust 07 I wanted a G35, but every time I drove one I missed my TL so i got a Type-S. March 08 I really thought about a G35 again, sold the TL but missed it and got another 08 Type-S. I get really good deals on the buy, fully finance the car and sell for what I owe at the time. So if resale value and my note equal I can usually sell quick.
    Wow, that's a lot of buying and selling! You're essentially renting your cars. But, hey, if you can afford it.... :shades:
  • jqelcojqelco Member Posts: 1
    After test drove both 09 TL and 09 G37 coupe on Friday 1/16, I decided to go with the TL. Got white color 09 TL w/Tech package on Sat 1/17.

All I can say about the car is I love it love it love it! But I wish the nav is still touch screen though. Love the live weather and traffic report! You can even save pictures as wall paper on your nav screen! The car is awesome! Best decision I ever made.
    'Best decision I ever made."

Should you give it a wee bit more time before making that proclamation? :P
  • lax29lax29 Member Posts: 42
    I have been reading about the clear bra. Anyone ever had this done to their vehicle? What are the pros and cons of having this done. Plan on getting the 09 TL TECH in Feb, if incentives are there, and was seriously thinking about having this done.

Also looking into getting the frt grill painted. Looking at the white one and saw a picture of it painted and looked pretty good, but I know it will take a beating from the stone chips. Any ideas on this?
  • golfrskigolfrski Member Posts: 262
    yea pretty sure since he drove in after me to get wings and beers he owed me from the spankin....
  • golfrskigolfrski Member Posts: 262
    not a good idea... although my silver one with the silver grill is dinged up a bit from going MACH 5 around town
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Are you saying that the 3m clear bra does not help from preventing stone chips?
  • dap2006dap2006 Member Posts: 68
    I had it on my '06 and it worked fine - no chips and it blended well on the Desert Mist. I lease my '08 TL-S so I won't do it again, but if I owned it I would.

On a related note, I'm hoping Acura re-works the TL within the next 2 years to I can go with it again when the lease is up.... I'm reading a lot of good reviews of the G37S... Or a new 335i? The good thing about leasing is I'll have to make another choice before long... :blush:
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Does anyone know how the '09 TL is selling compared with the '08?

According to one source, the 2009 Acura TL sold more units in October 2008 than the 2008 TL sold in October 2007, despite the dismal sales last month. The 2009 TL sold 4,340 units in October, its first month of sales, which is 22.2 percent more than last October.

Acura’s total sales for October followed the rest of the industry in dropping, however. The total sales were down 24.5 percent.

Does anyone have these sales figures through December?
    Your numbers are correct, but Acura does not break down by model year. The October 2008 sales do not say what percentage of those cars were 09 vs. heavily discounted 08. Dealers still had huge 08 inventory in October and November. The real numbers to look at are the December 08 numbers where Acura sold 40% fewer TL than December 07. By December most 08 inventory (discounted $3500) was gone and that number is mostly 09 inventory. For December 09 Infiniti sold more G sedans than Acura sold TL, that is the first time that has ever happened. Sure the economy is partially to blame, but I beleive the $3K increase in price on the 09 and the polarizing restyling are to blame.

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/1074/releases/4898
  • tizertizer Member Posts: 23
    Agree, this post is current. Dick Culliver just wants to wait for the market to improve? Acura needs a better strategy(better front end styling the the 09TL) in these times.

I think by the Summer there will be at least $3500 "Marketing support" on the TL and a AWD Tech will be selling in the mid 30's.
    Dont blame it on the styling because everyone across the board is feeling it in terms of sales been dismal.The Lexus GS 350 (handsome car) is selling way below invoice and the sales figure on those are down as well.The Infiniti G sedan has a lot of incentive, rebates and marketing support so that brings shoppers in the door.I dont know what's going on at Honda but someone needs asisst them in the finance area, last month the money factor on a TL AWD Tech was around 3%, this month they bumped it up to 6%.The last I heard is, the country is in a recession, does Honda know the meaning of that?
    The GS350 is so yesterday. Incentives or not, I'm sure the G got some potential TL customers. I, for one, never considered a G prior to the '09 TL simply because the TL hands down looked so much better inside and out. But the '09 TL kinda levelled that playing field. And I think Honda is aware of the global recession. In this neck of the woods, there are cash rebates on almost all Honda models up to $7K. $10K rebate on the MDX, $5.5K on the RL, $2K on the TSX. They had $2K on the '09 TL but they pulled it. I'd bet they'll offer a larger rebate later if the car doesn't sell. My non-scientific observation is that the TL is not selling well. I've seen a grand total of 2 on the road. As much as I like the AWD, and to "stay in the Acura family" (I have had no problem with the service they have provided. Even the sales staff have been good, and I generally don't think much of Honda salesmen), they would have to discount heavily for me to give up my '04 for an '09.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,722
    Hate to say it, but I won't even consider an Acura until they ditch The Beak. Yes, I'm that superficial. Love my '05 TL, though. Don't love what winter does to the Zaino shiny body, though...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

"The GS350 is so yesterday".
    So is your 04 TL.

The G I did consider until I test drove it (G35x), I did like it but I think with about a year of ownership, buyers remorse would overcome me.

The fact of the matter is, the economy is takiing its toll on just about everything.
    billyperks2

The G I did consider until I test drove it (G35x), I did like it but I think with about a year of ownership, buyers remorse would overcome me.

wrong I have a 2007 G35x -the only remorse I have is it does not have an acura emblem.-cause i loved the service when I had a GS-R.. and the fact my job is prob going away in the next 3 months. Sure fuel economy not the best but the fact of the matter is the 07 g35 --and i would guess the older model G--2005-2006 would stand up to the New TL in terms of performance.. the Newer g37 totally distroys the TL in standard form..REAR drive -- quicker -sportier ... What's G?? a better car.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Re: "the Newer G37 totally destroys the TL in standard form.." Maybe you could provide some data from Edmunds, Car and Driver, Road and Track, etc. to back up your "totally destroys". How about it???
    XRUNNER-- heres your data.

edmunds--
    http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=135807/pageNumber=1?s- ynpartner=edmunds&pageurl=www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/135807/art- icle.html

Car and driver- G37 Ten best award- No TL on the list--but the cts is??

road and track data-" It accelerates the TL to reasonably quick times, but at 6.3 seconds to 60 and 14.8 sec. at 96.7 mph through the quarter mile, it's considerably off the pace of a key competitor, the BMW 335i, which generates corresponding numbers of 5.0 and 13.5 at 104.5, G35x is 5.5."

Lets not forget the price tag to get into a TL- it starts at 35k --The G 32.5--the g has 50 plus standard HP and the fact the TL looks like it does.

enjoy the data
  • eblock2eblock2 Member Posts: 4
    I don't know how you get these numbers but you gotta keep in mind that Nissan is crazy with the options. The Infiniti starts at $33,500, the TL starts at $35,000 but is much better equipped. With the Infiniti you need to add a $2500 premium package to match the TL's base model in functionality, but wait! The package isn't available on the base model, you need the more expensive G37 Journey plus the $2500 premium package for $36,250 total compared to the $35,000 TL.

But what are you getting with the Infiniti? I've driven both cars, compared to the TL the G37 has better performance obviously, its what the brand is about. But it's also much louder, rougher, and the engine isn't as smooth especially at full throttle. The Infiniti has a 7 speed automatic, but it sucks, the shifts can get rough and its constantly hunting for gears. The TL is only a 5 speed but the ratios are nice, its smoother, and seems to have smarter shift logic. The interior is also nicer in the TL but I think Infiniti is getting better.

The TL has great performance, but balancing comfort/luxury and sporty character is Acura's thing, and if you desire both equally the TL is a good choice. You can expect it to be more reliable too. If you're racing to work all the time and want even more performance without shelling out for a BMW, the Infiniti is a better choice.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I have to agree, that Honda seems to have a really smooth engine, the shifting seems to be well programmed. Even on an 06 Accord 4cyl I had. When it was fully broken in, it was quite smooth, and smart. It did not seem to keep hunting around for a gear. More gears does not always mean better, sometimes it is a matter of programming the gears in the most efficient and practical way. Let us know which model you choose.
    your right i was off by a grand on the starting price of the G -- still 1500 less to get -in and with 50 more HP - -- I would argue your post saying it has great performance--really?? have you read the articles I have on the new TL-- I would bet the performance would be closer to the Accord then a Beemer.
    According to R&T, the 09 Acura beats the G37 in the handling test - the Slalom. Acura is 67.4 MPH and G37 is 67.1. Granted that is small and difference has to be more than 1.0 MPH to be significant. The cars are essentially equal.

But, the Acura "Significantly" beats the G37 on the skidpad. Acura is 0.91 G and G37 is 0.86. That is .05 difference and significant is .02 or more.

Acura beats G37 in 60-0 and 80-0 Braking. Acura is 117 ft, 204 ft and G37 is
    121 ft, 218 ft.

So, G37 beats Acura on acceleration.
    Actually, according to R&T, the Acura TL beats the BMW 335i coupe by significant margins in slalom and skidpad. In spite of TL being 400 pounds heavier than the 335i, the TL equals the 60-0, 80-0 braking times.
    March issue of Automobile does not like noisy engine. Testers wonder how a car can sound so good per its exhaust pipes but so bad inside the car.
  • cyborgencyborgen Member Posts: 13
    If they offered alternate grills I might consider the TL.

They've got the wrong nose on a great package. A polarizing look means that you're going to lose sales based on looks. How that beak got past the aesthetics department is part of the 'caramilk' mistery ROFL !!!

:shades: ... putting shades on won't help either !
    There is one alternate grill now available and Ron Jon will have an awseom grill in about 3 months. I just got a SH-AWD TL and the grill is tolerable, but I plan on getting the Ron Jon grill in a few months, makes the car totally different!

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704765
    I will stick with the original grill when I pick up sh awd in a couple of months.It looks good in person and it looks real aggressivewhen the car is motion.
  • higgledyhiggledy Member Posts: 28
    The 2009 Acura TL is ugly on the outside but beautiful on the inside.
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    actually it is butt ugly on the outside (not to mention way too big) but it is very nice on the inside. IMHO of course
    Noisy engin inside th car? The new TL is very quiet, you barely hear the engine, maybe that is their issue. The TL mutes exterior sounds, the infiniti G lets you hear the engine much more. The G has far less sound deadening material and is a noiseier car in general.
  • soikidosoikido Member Posts: 2
    Actually it is so much nicer than a lot of the American cars out there. I test drove the AWD and it was amazing! Speed, handling and STYLE! Yes, the STYLE. I love the design of the taillight, very futuristic. Everybody says the front grill sucks because they are not used to high fashion and good sense of style. Acura designed the TL to provoke emotion and I think they did that pretty well. Just stare at the front grill, u will feel like it is trying to communicate and give u a sense of demand. Look at the front grill of the 2010 Lincoln MKT and MKS, that's BUTT UGLY! They are like 2 big noises with long hair sticking out! ewww :lemon: a lemon on 4 wheels looks cuter than that! I am definitely buying the AWD with technology package!
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    oh it provokes emotion all right :) and one can hardly help but stare at the grill...it sticks out like a wart on someone's nose.
    Lincolns two new cars are better looking then the TL.. I would equate thisTL restyle to that of the ford taurus of the late 90's- it went from a good looking car to something the jetsons would drive.. look what that did for ford..
  • higgledyhiggledy Member Posts: 28
    The TL is not competing with the Lincolns. The TL competes with Audi and BMW and maybe the CTS
    Entry level lux class.. V6 -seats 5... AWD option-- who are they competing against then??
  • sbtatter1sbtatter1 Member Posts: 2
    We still can't get past that beak of a grille, it's soon going to be time to trade our 07 type S and b/c of the styling, it won't be a TL, even though we've been solely Acura's for the last 7 years. In a circle of about 30 acquaintances, not one of us would consider the car styled like that. In my mind, the Mazda6 looks way better, and that's unfortunate for Acura.......
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Exactly, TL is not competing with Lincolns, "fords". Its your grandmas fancy Grand marquee. I wouldn't put CTS, BMW, Audi too high up though. Its nice, but not for its price tag, perhaps for a bit lower of price. But, caddy, BMW, have all been about the name, a little overrated. But, still really really nice! All nice cars, but for me, spending $40 on a CTS or the TL, well I am picking the TL in a heart beat. I will not choose a GM car ever. Never. lol. Sorry. thats just me. Maybe if they shape up, maybe.

Though the TL grill would have to be modified.
    would it be fair to say the Lincolns are competing against the acura?? Your statement on the CTS -- Caddy is building a great entry level car that competes directly with Acura-- and if it werent for the parent company -GM it would prob sell better. so your statement about "the name" could not be more false during these tough times at american car plants- lord knows it looks 1000% better then the current acura stable-.. look at the CTS-V-- where is Acura when it comes to exciting cars? It seems that all went away when they dropped the NSX and got rid of the integra.
  • nubbin4nubbin4 Member Posts: 6
    Is the Tech package radio [400+ watt] that much more superior versus the base TL radio? The Tech package as a whole appears cool but I don't need a back-up camera and rarely use NAV so the radio upgrade needs to "meaningful" for me to bite? Any opinions out there?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,722
    On the way to work this morning, saw a new Acura TL in white. With the big, aluminum beak painted to match the body color. And you know what? Still hideous... As a TL owner/fan, I hope they correct this Aztekian styling theme sooner than later. JMHO, of course.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• FNIgirlFNIgirl Member Posts: 12
    Hi there! Even if you just went with the premium audio system with a 7 speaker system, I would say your not going to be lacking in sound. Plus you will still get a 6 disc changer with XM, CD quality sound. Now, that being said it's not going to be the 5.1 Channel ELS surround sound, but you can still get that turned up concert sound that we all like on sunny days when driving fast.
    IMO, the DVD audio system is over-rated, for most consumers. For one thing, DVD audio discs are still not widely available. It's a shame they bundled the system with the Nav and rear camera. Ironically, for me, I would want the camera, but not necessarily the nav and the audio.