Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I am sold on the SH AWD but not so much the extra expense of the Tech package. But it seems very few dealers stock the car this way. Any thoughts?
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    If you are in the northeast-I saw approx. 6 AWD NON TECH at Greenwich Acura on Friday, they were literally begging me take one-$500 over invoice.
  • rhinobullrhinobull Member Posts: 1
    You can get it for about 1 grand below invoice - that's how I got mine. Greenwich Acura is more expensive than others.
    Quote NJ's dealers (Sprigfield, Montclaire) over the internet and you'll see the difference.
    Although all programs ended on March 2nd I would still give it a try.
  • trailhikertrailhiker Member Posts: 26
    I have an 2008 Acura TL with Navigation. Since February 14th, I have not been receiving the Traffic Incidents on the GPS. I get the Message "There is no traffic incidents within 30 miles." Until recently, there has not been a instance in my morning commute in the Dallas/Fort Worth area where there are not numerous traffic incidents that are displayed on the GPS screen. I called XMradio and over the period of 2 days, they sent 4 "refresh" signals to my GPS which did not resolve the problem and also verified my subscription was valid. I also purchased from Acura, the latest 4.73a DVD update to see if that would fix the problem which it didn't. A coincidence I found is that XMradio combined their radio traffic channel for Dallas/Fort Worth with the traffic channel in Houston that occurred around February 14th the same time the "Traffic Incidents" on the GPS no longer provided information. I called my Acura dealership today and they advised they were not aware of this problem. I would appreciate a helpful reply if someone else has encountered this problem.
    I have done my research(TRUST ME) and I have never been offered 1k below invoice on the AWD TECH.The FWD TECH I do see those deals, but not on the AWD tech or non tech. I even called Montclair this morning and they mentioed they have two AWD in stock (not my color combo) and they want 500 below MSRP.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Realize, that if it wasn't for the crazy economy, people would NOT be getting the kind of amazing deals you see here. In a normal circumstance, the TSX and the TL would hold a high price tag for even a lease. To have these kind of deals available now, is the only good thing coming from the bad economy. Consider yourself lucky to get any kind of deal. You will not have this when the market is healed. But, that won't be for a long time. But, the car market needs to make any incentives available even after a better market. GM is no longer leasing, though they claim they cannot afford it, but I believe more people are opting for leasing, That will kill them, and bring Acura and other companys that are leasing ahead!! As its a not a permanent solution for a car. Deals can be had. It might be easier for one to obtain a lease rather than a massive loan.

Consider yourself lucky to have the deals we have now.
    You call .00237 (5.69%) a deal in this economy?
  • nubbin4nubbin4 Member Posts: 6
    So I opted for the AWD no-tech white/umber. I must say I really like it - as does the Mrs. The base "gadgets" and radio work well and the car handles great - although am looking forward to better weather to open it up. The grill does not "stand-out" given the color [my opinion] so very happy with the look. Paid UNDER invoice via Precision Acura in Princeton. They have a few more of these in stock although tech seems more common. I was treated fairly [Jim] and there site is up to date inventory wise. Good luck!
    Looking at the same car however I want the tech and the HPT package.
    No Dealer seems to have the car in a 60 miles radius from my house.
  • acura207acura207 Member Posts: 1
    nyc metro area, but willing to take the drive to get the car at the 'right' price. Speaking of that, what is the right price? Any incentives on this model? i cant even find the car and they want upwards of $500 /month PLUS tax either upfront or built in.( two dealers "offered" $640/month with $3000 down!!!! and it may not even be in my color choice (black with umber) Whats' reasonable? and when do i tell the dealer that i have $1500 credit from american honda financing if i finance with them again....(my fourth acura - integra, mdx, rl)
  • jeremyaaronjeremyaaron Member Posts: 21
    Will these wheels fit a 2008 Honda Accord EXL V6 sedan? The 5 spoke version with the slot in the middle of them?
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Took our first test drive today in a 2009 TL w/tech. My wife loved it. Since road noise bothers us now more than ever, we found the front seat road noise to be quieter than the rear seat. The vehicle had insulation everywhere I looked, but I still thought the vehicle was loud. The handling was good although we didn't toss it and the brakes were excellent as the salesman encouraged us to stomp the brakes and they were flawless. Cannot really say much else as the car performed like a car. Nothing stood out, but nothing was lacking either.

The Nav worked via voice commands with barely an issue. The acceleration was good and the ride composed, especially under braking. The dual aircon also responded to voice commands and performed flawlessly. The back seat comfort was good, but not great. The leather was stiff, but then again the vehicle was new.

We test drove 3 new vehicles today. I guess folks are getting really picky as all had 60 miles or more on them already. The vehicle that impressed me most, believe it or not, was a Dodge Ram 1500. It was very quiet on the road. We were looking for replacements for my wife's 1999 Accord. Since she liked the Ridgeline we also tried the Ram. The Ram was the highlight of the day for me. The wife however said the TL was for her, but greenlighted my getting the Ram. A friend of ours has a GS350. Both the wife and I agree the TL is the better vehicle, especially for headroom.

I thought others might enjoy my test drive, so I'm posting. We considered the TL over the Accord cuz the Accord has VCM complaints. The TL was flawless. Btw, the Dodge Ram w/MDS was also flawless.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Allowing for the fact that car sales are way down, does anyone know how well the '09 TL is selling? Do model year-to-date sales indicate success or disappointment?
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I haven't seen any hard sales data, but I know I haven't seen many on the road (no more than 5 or so). I took my '04 in for service today and they drove me back to the office in an '09, so I casually asked how they are selling. He hesitated, smiled, and said they are selling "ok". Then he candidly admitted that a lot of people are having issues with the exterior styling. The FWD Base is definitley not pretty. The AWD and/or with tech package, with the bigger wheels, can look decent in the right color. And on top of everything else, it's so damn big!
    Your comments are in sync with my perceptions. The '09 is a real disappointment in terms of style and size, so it doesn't surprise me that it isn't selling well. I prefer the appearance and size of the '04-'08s, and even the '99-'03 generation.
  • ChasboyChasboy Member Posts: 186
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've read plenty about the controversial 'looks' of the new TL. Spend more than 10 minutes in one and you could care less. We picked up our new one today, AWD, white, non tech. Its fabulous. Does everything our 325 could do with more comfort and less noise. The seats are like gloves, and the size is perfect. According to the dealers, the AWD's in the northeast are 'hot', and they hardly have any in the lot at any time. There were 2 at our dealer with at least 25 FWDs there. I totally agree with sweendogy's final conclusions.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "According to the dealers, the AWD's in the northeast are 'hot',"

Well, they're car salesmen. Did you expect them to say anything other than that? Car salesmen make lawyers sound honest by comparison. Have you actually seen many new TLs on the road? They are almost invisible in my town.
    "Well, they're car salesmen""
    Duh....lets state the obvious for everyone's edification.
    "Have you actually seen many new TLs on the road?"
    That is certainly a source of hard data. In fact I'm seeing more and more, especially the one in my driveway.
    btw, I have seen the sales figures and the TL numbers have been increasing since January.
    I know you have the White Exterior, what color is the interior?
    Hi Billy, I have the taupe/black interior. One of the 'enhancements' of the AWD is fancier stitching on the seats, and the lower part of the interior is black, which is so much easier to live with than a light gray or tan-like color. It gives a bit of flash I was looking for after the black and/or bland interiors of a few of our previous cars. The wheels on the AWD are also a bit darker than the FWD.
    Nice- I am quite familar with the car because I am in the market for the same car however, I am opting for the Umber interior and 19" wheels.The dealers here in CT and NY are just not giving me any good deals, I am going to wait until mid summer or even year end to see if the deals get sweeter. I purchased the wood wheel, wood gear shift knob, back up sensors and trunk tray, they are sitting in my garage waiting for the car to arrive.

Good luck with your TL.
    Billy, your combo will be great. I wanted umber initially, but after driving one, DW liked the taupe better and I agreed for the sake of harmony.
    Can't believe you have all the stuff for it already! You need a car!! Good luck once you have it!! Sooner rather than later!
    ;)
  • eg424eg424 Member Posts: 24
    I've had 2009 TL w/ Tech for three weeks and I would like to share some observations.

I chose Palladium Metallic with the taupe interior. All my friends and co-workers have raved about the exterior and interior. Not one person has mentioned the "beak". I think my color combination has minimized the possible negative visual effect of the front end. It DOES grow on you.

The ride is firm but not jarring. This is a luxury sport sedan so that was expected. HID headlights are very good. The Tech Package is a wonder!!!!!!!! Build quality is also very good.

Though I did extensive research and read many reviews, I am still disappointed with my gas mileage. According to the computer, I am averaging 14.3 mpg. The car has only been driven in stop and go traffic and has 313 miles. Hopefully, as more miles are accumulated, the mpg will get better.

I do have some suggestions for improvements. Obviously, they are personal.

1. Outside mirrors are too small.

2. Gear designations, on the console are not lighted. You have to look at the dash to see what gear you are in. Most cars have the console designations lit as well. This omission was a BIG surprise for me. My salesman confirmed that many clients have commented on this issue.

3. It would be nice if there was an option for cooled seats.

I hope my observations are of help to any of you considering the new TL. Overall.............I am very happy.
    Yours is the front-wheel-drive model, right?

Since peoples' comments, such as "the ride is firm but not jarring", are influenced by what they owned previously, what did you trade in?
    There is a lot of talk about the 'hard' ride. I have the SHAWD. We had a 325i. I find the ride smooth, controlled and quiet. Bone jarring? Nope, unless one counts potholes, but they jar everything.

;) has anyone waxed theirs yet? if so, what did you use?
  • maxbetamaxbeta Member Posts: 12
    Why rely on the computer and just let that be it and be disappointed? Maybe you should test the gas mileage yourself. Fill your tank, write down your starting mileage, drive your normal around town routine and when you get down to half a tank +/-, then re-fuel and note the number of gallons it took to fill up and your ending mileage. Then divide the # of miles you drove by the number of gallons.

Same thing when you go on an out of town trip. That will give you your highway mileage.

You will then know not only what your real MPG is, burt also how the computer compares.
    You can also set your A or B trip odometer when you fill the tank initially, then use that number for your calcs.
  • jpdisarrojpdisarro Member Posts: 33
    I have never had the luxury of a trip computer, so I have always used one of my trip odometers for mileage calculation. It's the easiest and most accurate method.
  • 4thaccord4thaccord Member Posts: 7
    Well I doubt a polite person would say to your face "man, that car is hideous". I've seen similar posts from people who say "everywhere I go I see people staring at my car".. Duh. Of course they're staring, the car looks ridiculous.
    My former car is a 2004 Honda Accord Ex......... which I still have. And yes, my Acura is the FWD w. tech.
  • sdcaressdcares Member Posts: 6
    Hi folks,

I need some advice on which TL to get (FWD or SH-AWD).

Getting close to purchasing a new TL tech to replace my 2002 RSX. I live in SoCal where the AWD is not likely to be helpful due to the stable weather conditions. I do however make freq trips through the mountains (I-8 East) where occassional sleet and snow can develop in the winter months at altitude. Also the interstate itself is known for winding curves, steep grades, and high winds. My goal is safety above performance. I am a careful driver in general.

Does the SH-AWD features add substantially to the safety of the vehicle? or is it only a performance advantage?
    SD, look at the list of options that come standard with the AWD. Much more worthwhile than the Tech IMHO. I love the handling and power of mine and the security of knowing I have a much better chance dealing with questionable weather/road conditions. Of course, weather here in the northeast is slightly different than yours.!! ;)
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    I'm puzzled at all of the negative commentary regarding the styling and appearance of the 2009 Acura TL. I went to the Denver auto show the first weekend in April. Turnout on the last day was greater than I've ever seen on a last day previously. Acura had two TLs on display (FWD and AWD) and there was a continuos line of people waiting to sit in both. Obviously they weren't turned off by the TL's new styling. There were several oohs and awes from the folks looking at the TL. I know that the TL's looks impressed the wife and I. :shades: I'd say it was one of the bigger attractions at the auto show, with the biggest attraction being the Aston Martin display.

We also wanted to view some of the TL's principle competitors, so we checked out the Lexus ES350. Only one rather bland looking one on display and no lines. :( In fact, not much traffic at all in the Lexus area.

Wanted to see the new Nissan Maxima, but Nissan chose to skip the show, so no go. :mad: Checked out the Infinity G37 and it is quite good looking, but still (same as the prior design of the G35) too small. It is truly a compact car. Much too tight a fit for these old bones. We are looking to replace our '99 Chrysler 300M, so we are used to having some space in our sports sedan.

Didn't bother with any of the European competitors because I view them as over-priced and generally small and content-lacking unless you go big dollars. In addition, styling isn't the strong point for most of them. Also didn't see many American-made competitors, save the Cadillac CTS. Nice looking car with impressive performance, but again too small. Really a compact car like the Infinity G37. Wife (43 years old) bumped her head just trying to get into it. The CTS was getting a lot of show traffic though.

So, in conclusion, I sure didn't see any evidence that the Acura TLs styling was turning people off. Can't wait until June when financially all will be go to buy one. Need to get out and test drive a couple to decide between FWD and AWD. Really concerned about the stiff ride comments concerning the AWD model as we have had to tolerate that for 10 years with the 300M.
    cebteb, I echo your opinion. In addition I find it strange that people who chose to share their car quest with others are told, after spending around $40,000 of their hard earned money on a car that they are excited about, that their new pride and joy looks ridiculous.
    As for AWD vs FWD, having been a veteran 4x4 owner,(and operating a snowplow service for a number of years) I have strong feelings about the difference between the 2. In the northeast, snow and other types of slippery conditions are a part of life. There are some of the uninformed who think that FWD is like driving a Jeep. It ain't the case. If you are in an area like that, strongly consider the AWD. I tested both, more than once. Honestly, I didn't know about the harder ride until I read about it, and I guess I let the power of suggestion make me think the ride is harder. The car is so quiet and smooth I would describe the overall driving feel as 'stealthy". :)
    I agree with you about all the negative comments concerning the styling. In my previous post #1372, I shared my comments about the car.

It is an "edgy design". As such... it is not for everyone. I will tell you that I get nothing but positive comments from friends and strangers.

I am sure that color combinations can impact one's opinion of the styling. For example, I did not like the car in black but thought that the red pearl looked "rich".

I do find that younger people especially like the looks of the car. One person, at work, said he thought the TL looked like a concept design that actually reached the streets.

I remember the shouts of horror when the BMW 5 Series was redesigned. I think the negative comments, about its backend, were almost universal. Fast forward to today. The 5 series is one of the most ubiquitous models seen in Southern California. :shades:
    eg, I also think it's edgy. My son and his wife reacted very positively, she was impressed by the sporty look.
    You are right about color choice. My DL was very disappointed in the black, mainly because of the chrome trim that runs along the upper side of the roof. Since we just got out of a silver car, we wanted something different, and the white worked real well with the trim. I had never seen the car in silver until we made the deal, there was an AWD on the lot. I liked it, but the thought of another silver over black was not the change we wanted.
    We love the car.
    I think that FWD would be very suitable for the type of driving you describe, and that SH-AWD would be overkill. FWD gives good traction. Of course, SH-AWD is even better, but considering the pros and cons, I don't think it would be a good tradeoff for you. For the rare time you might - m i g h t - benefit from Sh-AWD you're required to spend more up front, carry around extra weight all the time, and get less fuel economy. It would be different if you lived in New England, the upper Midwest or the Rocky Mountain area.

My suggestion: Buy the FWD and a pair of chains for when you think they'll be useful.

Please let us know which one you buy.
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    The exterior styling is edgy all right.....makes me want to push it off the edge of a cliff! It's fugly on the outside compared to previous models. I do like the inside however.
    There's an old saying: "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all".
    Its best not to reply to comments like that-in replying, you are actually cheering on the poster.
    Billy,
    I guess I am tired of boorish, unsolicited comments on choices some of us make that are happy occasions. I am old enough to know better.
    However, you are right, and I will adopt a policy of ignoring statements like that in the future. :blush:
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    For those of you with the Tech package and the NAV screen showing the weather, how many of you have decided to continue to PAY for this "weather service" after the free months has expired??
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    Lighten up a bit...its an opinion. my opinion is the car is ugly on the outside and well put together on the inside. Its not a challenge to your manhood or a comment on your purchase.

In light of the near/middle/long term availability of oil, the continuing trend to more hp, bigger cars, etc is self destructive to the auto industry as a whole. Acura falls into this trap by making the TL, which was a great car overall, bigger and somewhat less fuel efficient than in the past.....IMHO
  • cvv011cvv011 Member Posts: 8
    Pick one up last week. So far, impressed with the car very much. Though to bring this up:
    I might be crazy, but on the highway (over 70 m/h), can't seem to drive the car straight... it always seems to pull to either side. I drove Sienna the say day... do not get this feeling. One of the tires reported at 31 psi, compare to the others at 35... wondering if that's a reason. Wanted to take it to the dealership this morning, but decided to take more time to characterize this. Anybody with similar concern?
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    Hmm, that's not good to hear as one of CR's review comments had to do with the steering not having enough feel, particularly on center. Keep us posted on the the issue. I hope there is something actually wrong and that your experience isn't a manifestation of CR's issue.
    At 70 mph, in a modern performance automobile, 4 lbs. could be felt. I've had my AWD up to an 'unaware of' ;)
    85, and not only does it feel like 40 mph slower, it is steady as a rock. It's so new, take it to the dealer and make yourself feel better.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    There is now a free update for the gracenote CDDB. All TL's with the tech package come with this service. It's available at myacura and you can burn it to a disc and it will update it. It takes about 20 minutes to do so. This is something you should do often as soon as they release it to keep up with the latest CD's.
    Interesting...

I've got another car w/gracenotes and a hard drive music box. My understanding was that gracenotes needed to be updated by the dealer and couldn't be done via CD.
    Hmmm.....no replies to this post. One must infer this "feature" is not worth the added long term subscription costs. Suggest Acura remove this feature and add in cooled seats to make this car more competitive in creature comfort.
    That saying applies to people, but not to a forum like this one, where readers share opinions and facts about products of interest to readers.