Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    While I've liked the TL for the past few years, my wife was luke-warm to its appearance. Now she is in love with the new TL's look and I'm happy about that.

At the Denver Auto Show in April, there were lines to get into the two TLs they had on display and the lines consisted of both men and women. I seen posts about similar long lines for the TL at auto shows elsewhere in the U.S. I think if the economy wasn't in the tank, the TLs would be flying off the showroom floor at MSRP.

I understand that some fans of the earlier TL's look or euro-styling aren't too thrilled with the new TL's styling, but that is a personal choice. We purchased the a Chysler 300M in its first year and still think it is one of the more attractive cars of recent times. We were appalled at the styling of the Chrysler 300C that replaced it and couldn't see how anyone could like that look. Well, Chrysler has sold a lot of those 300C "hoodlum wagons" to somebody, so bold styling usually finds a niche of followers and detractors. To each his/her own. At least now the TL no longer looks like a high priced Honda Accord.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Join Consumer Advice Editor, Phil Reed, and other Edmunds staff for an auto industry chat tomorrow night, Wednesday, 9:00 -10:00 pm/et (6:00 -7:00 pm/pt). To enter the chat, click on the banner at the top of the page. See you there!
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    At least now the TL no longer looks like a high priced Honda Accord.

Cannot see any resemblance of 04-08 gen TL to any Accord.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Built on the same FWD platform.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,731
    Interesting, I feel exactly the same: I purchased a '99 300M which I still consider one handsome vehicle. In '05, I traded for an '05 TL which I still find to be one of the best designs on the road.

But, the 300C and the new TL? Not my cup of tea at all. The 300C somewhat grew on me (familiarity breeds acceptance?) but the current TL, most notably the horrid beak, still leaves me appreciating my TL so much more.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Join Consumer Advice Editor, Phil Reed, and other Edmunds staff for an auto industry chat TONIGHT, Wednesday, 9:00 -10:00 pm/et (6:00 -7:00 pm/pt). To enter the chat, click on the banner at the top of the page.

See you there!
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Built on the same FWD platform.

Can't "See" any resemblance.
  • ChasboyChasboy Member Posts: 186
    In the history of automotive brands, new models are frequently based on a platform that already exists. That includes Lexus, Infinity and Acura (also Edsel) . In the beginning, the resemblence was very visible in certain cases, in others, it was more a tweaking of the chassis/engine, and a different body. Over the years, now that they are well established as independent brands, these brands have been able to broaden the separation gap that exists between them and the parent company. To me, the fact that the Lexus ES 350 does not resemble the Camry as much as it once did is a plus. If the TL, as far as my wife and I are concerned, had not changed the design and increased in size and luxury, we would not have purchased this wonderful car.
    The non-Sport TLs, to me at least, look like just another trim level for the Accord. When I've rolled up on them from behind in another lane, I've had to check the badging to verify that it wasn't an Accord. Then again, I'm not an Accord fancier, so I don't have its design details down pat in my memory. My point is that the non-sport TLs just weren't different enough to stand out from the lesser base automobile. The new TLs, OTOH, look like a whole different car from any Honda, inside and out. I say again that, based on the interest levels in the new TLs that I've witnessed, I think they would be flying out the door at MSRP if the economy wasn't in the tank.
  • gorillamonsoongorillamonsoon Member Posts: 24
    Are the new TLs or Acuras in general set with a slight pull to the right? Not torque steer, but general alignment? Test drove a few that seem to drift right somewhat significantly.
  • draz2draz2 Member Posts: 50
    I've had mine for close to three months now and it tracks straight ahead. No misallignment whatsoever and no torque steer.
    Same with me. Its like it's on rails. Point it, and it goes there.
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    probably crowned roads
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    While I'm not a big fan of the new TL for multiple reason, I do have to give it some "props" for scoring very high 4.5 out of 5 stars in the JD Power's Initial Quality survey.

Also, my local dealer has tons of 09 TLs as loaner cars. I look at these cars to see how the "wear and tear" has been progressing. They seem to be holding up well. I've not seen any problems with the front grill. Only time will tell if the leather upholstery will hold up (as has been a problem in the previous generation TLs).
    Wow, nothing for over a week on this thread. Don't any owners of the 2009 TL have anything of interest, good or bad, to say about their new cars? Any chronic problems or emergent issues that potential buyers should know about?
  • dap2006dap2006 Member Posts: 68
    Not the response you're looking for but on a related note, I leased a 2008 TL-S just over a year ago - I had a 2006 TL before that. I'm loving my TL-S and after seeing a few of the 2009's on the road I have Zero buyer's remorse. Longer by 6" and with that god-awful beak I'm just hoping Acura comes to their senses and fixes this thing. I have just under 2 years left on my lease and I'd like to stick with Acura but if my lease ended today I'd be in a Beemer or Lexus tomorrow for sure... (or maybe the MDX??)
  • rickpoolerickpoole Member Posts: 27
    I've had 2009 TLs three times as loaner cars now and here is my take compared to my 2007 TL w/Nav

1. 2009's Steering has no feel and is not speed sensitive, too light and sensitive at highway speeds.
    2. All three had rattles; the first two were similar to my 2007 TL, which is still proving hard to get rid of all rattles, but the one I have now has at least 6 rattles and has only 6K miles.
    3. When opening or closing the doors it reminds me of the old cheap Datsun cars decades ago. Don't know if they removed insulation or if the metal is just that thin. No where close to what I expected of a near $40K car and not even close to how solid my 2007 sounds.
    4. Mileage seems slightly worse than 2007 even though ratings are supposed to be much more accurate then the 2007 were (both are rated at 18 city). But, in all fairness I'm not convinced any of the three were filled with premium, probably filled with regular, and I have not had one long enough to empty the tank and fill it with 93 octane.
    5. New interior features and layout is improved, Nav control is very easy to use, nav is more accurate and responsive than 2007's.
    6. Ride is quieter than 2007's and it soaks up bumps better.

I asked some people who rode with me in each of the three 2009s what they thought of it compared to my 2007 and surprisingly almost all said they thought my 2007 was a better looking and better built car. I figured the results would be fairly even between the two.
    When it comes to an automobile's styling, it is often difficult to accept radical change from what you currently have and love. We experienced the same disconnect with the Chrysler 300. We bought a 300M in its first year and we and many believed it was one of the most attractive sedans in recent times. When shined up, it still gets lots of looks in the parking lot. When the totally revised design of the 300C came out we lost our collective lunch. We thought it looked horrid, some gangster car out of the early 50s. We expected it to be a big flop for Chrysler, but it was a big sales success in its first several years. We were wedded to the prior styling in taste and in ownership as you are to the TL-S. When that happens, one has great difficulty in accepting radical change.

While I thought the earlier TL-S was attractive, my wife found it merely acceptable and I couldn't really get her interested in it as a must have replacement for our 300M. The non-sport TLs were nondescript, just some cosmetic differences from a Honda Accord. Now the new TLs have really caught our attention and my wife has locked in on the TL as "the" replacement for the 300M. We noticed the long lines at the auto show last April to sit in either of the TLs on display. Prior posts in this and other TL threads on this forum indicate similar response to the TL in other auto shows around the country.

Are they selling like hot-cakes? No, but what sedan is in this broken economy. I think it is Acura's misfortune and our luck that these drastically changed TLs can be bargained for at the dealer rather than getting the old, MSRP or walk attitude from the luxury car sales people. I guess if I owned an earlier TL and loved it I too would be disappointed that Acura had abandoned that styling, but the only certainties are death, taxes, and change.
    All reviewers have commented on the steering and it seems to be a love or hate relationship, no middle ground. Since it is the first year of this new technology in steering, it will be interesting to see if Acura changes it in any way for 2010 or is this just something we all will have to get used to, like anti-lock brakes.

Slamming the doors on the two TLs at the Denver auto show, I thought they had a had a very sound feel and sound. Perhaps the loaners you drove have been treated like rental cars and are showing the affects of that treatment.

Numerous comments on gas mileage with the new TLs is a concern; although CR didn't bust the new TL on gas mileage and they are usually sticklers for stuff like that.

If I were you friend and I rode in your car and with you in one of the loaners and you asked me what I thought of the new TL compared to your TL, what do you think I would tell you? Your car is a junker and this new TL is really great? I don't think so.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Hi, I drive a 2008 base TL and had similar problems with the car pulling slightly to the right; also I was having a loud/lousy ride from the tires and terrible vibrations/shimmy in the steering wheel and seats of the vehicle doing anything faster than 50mph. After having a front-end alignment and the tires balanced I was still having the formetioned problems; turns out the problem was with the OEM Bridgestone Turanza's EL400; these are the worst tires I have ever had on a car; traction and handling in even wet weather was terrible; finally had to call Bridgestone and worked out a deal to have the top of the line Bridgestone serenity's put on the car - once that was done all the problems went away; I think Acura still puts these crappy Turanza's EL400s on the 2009 TL's without the nav system; this could be an explanation to your problem; avoid OEM Bridgestone Turanza's EL400 at all cost; the OEM Michelin Pilot's are the better of two evils!!
    Agreed about the styling issue. Chrysler also came out with a car called the Airflow a long time ago that the motoring public hated for a few years, then all of them started mimicking it. It was way ahead of it's time.
    As for the steering, I have no idea what that complaint is about. I see none of that in mine, the doors CLOSE (not slam) with a satisfying thunk, and the trunk requires the lightest of pressure to latch. (not slam).
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    "Agreed about the styling issue. Chrysler also came out with a car called the Airflow a long time ago that the motoring public hated for a few years, then all of them started mimicking it. It was way ahead of it's time."

The Airflow made sense, but was so radically different that the public was aghast. Looking at the new TL gives me the same feeling. Who thought that mimicking a steam locomotive's cow catcher was a good idea for the front of an Acura? Yuck. It may grow on folks, but..... :confuse:
    I own it, I like it. I am more concerned about the long term durability of the finish of it. Seems to watermark too easily and then be polished to get rid of them.
    Wouldn't a clear bra be an appropriate protection for the "blade" and the rest of the forward facing elements of the TL? I have one on the front of my 2003 Olds Bravada, including over some chromed areas, and it has done a great job for 6 years plus even though it is subjected to winter trips up the mountains for skiing (i.e., lots of Mag-Chloride and sand/gravel).
    I suppose so, but I'm not a big fan of them.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    how are the new TLs selling? i have not seen many on the road here in boston and i'm wondering is it the economy or the styling or both??
  • draz2draz2 Member Posts: 50
    It's beating the G, the C class and (most months) the A4. Getting killed by the 3 series but then about 90% of those are leases.

Current average TL sales are ~3100/month.
  • steveb7713steveb7713 Member Posts: 3
    Very happy after one week. Drives straight, good gas mileage (got 32mpg on a highway only trip at 70 mph), got a good price, no rattles like others.

Dealer had incentives and big selection, not a popular guzzler trade-in and some truth to the looks for many. The dealer painted the big chrome grill on the one I bought and this toned it down just the right amount.
    According to the Government web site, the TL FWD or AWD do not qualify for the Cash for Clunkers program as their combined EPA mileage is 21 and the minimum allowed is 22.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    A couple of comments and a question on the new TL. I was loitering on dealer lots this weekend and noticed the TL seems to be very, very low in front. Have any current owners had trouble backing out of sloped drives or hitting/scraping curbs?

Re: the beak, shield, cowcatcher, proboscis or whatever the most recent derogatory remark about the front facia is. I think the problem is the plastic material its made of makes it look cheap and because it's so large it makes it look that much cheaper. If it was a nice metal chrome I think it would be a lot better looking. I tried to picture it in body color and that may help some but I think chrome would be classier.
    I have hit only on extreme transitions. No worse than any normal car. there is a street in Hastings, NY that is so steep at at intersection I have to go into the left lane where the angle is lower.
    The grill is metal. When I picked up my car it had watermarks on it. The dealer used a polish to remove them. Coated plastic would not respond that way.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    EOM
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Tks. It appeared that the center "shield" was chrome/metal but the large V seemed to be look more like plastic with a silver paint as there was a definite difference in the finish between the two. I may be mistaken as it was a fairly quick look.
    Not sure which harmonics you are concerned about, but I have a very critical ear (to the dismay of my DW) and I have noticed nothing like that. In fact on a smooth highway, with light throttle, the ambience is very jet like.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Actually, for the last couple of generations, Acura has employed a passive system that cancels out any harmonic vibrations/sounds.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • eastnyc718eastnyc718 Member Posts: 1
    i have the acura 09 tl,wish i would have gotten the acura chrome rims from the start,but was being cheap at the time,my question is where could i find the acura chrome rims size 18' at a better price acura is selling and what is the 1st and 2nd best tires for the acura tl.
    I should have remembered from reading about Acura's debut.
    Try this Discount Tire Site, has images of car in all colors and you try on wheels.
    Lots of choices at much better price, though I have yet to take the plunge ($)

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/interactive.do?v=016003%7C2009&pc=53278
  • gbosleygbosley Member Posts: 20
    i am waiting on 2010 T L and i plan on leasing one if i like it
    i never driven one yet but i think i love it , so big question is
    awd or not also should i look at R L
    what should i be sure i get as in option
    and if you own a acura would you get another
    i had a audi a6 i never go back there
    thanks
  • bigwitbigwit Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I do have a little scraping on sloped driveways, but who cares, thr freakin' car is AWESOME!!!
    Why not a big fan?

Anyone else have an experience either way with clear bra?
    I see you can buy a do it youself kit very inexpensive. This seem very tempting
    sure is!
  • dap2006dap2006 Member Posts: 68
    I had a clear bra on my '06 - it held up well 'til I traded it in last year. Though you may do it yourself, you may be better off spending the extra to have someone experienced do it. There are a lot of curves on that front end... Either way, it did a great job protecting the paint. :)
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Does anyone know where to get the bright white light bulbs for the license plate?
    I am still trying to figure out why Acura put those outdated yellow bulbs there. I know this is minor but I think it looks so much more modern to have the bright whites over the plates.Lexus, Mercedes and I think Infiniti uses the HID.
    Anyone with an '09 notice that the rear window 'clears itself' of rain on the outside when you ride for awhile even if it's raining? Works better at highway speeds.
  • tcar2tcar2 Member Posts: 2
    Same for the front. There is a moisture sensor built into the dash board. When it detects fog, it kicks in some cool air to remove it.
    I was referring to the outside of the window. ;)
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    How about changing the title of this discussion to "2009-2010 TL," to include the current model year?
    Let's make it Acura TL 2009- so no one has to tell me to change 2010 to 2011 when the time comes. :D

Thanks for the suggestion!
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I've been looking into the 2010 TL. I built one on the Acura website and went to look at one at the dealership today, before they were open.
    I'm curious about the lack of automatic headlights. The '08 TL
    had this feature where you can set it and forget it. Now, it seems that the 2010 TL does not have that feature. Also, it appears that the tilt/telescope steering wheel is manual instead of power?
    Can anyone confirm these two things for me?