Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TL 2009

1333435363739»

Comments

• Options
    jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    Yeah, but that would, unfortunately, kill 95% of the fun driving it. :(
  • Options
    smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    very true!
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    nyc...actually, I don't think a 20-30 minute drive for service is bad. But, that's just me. My dealership actually gives out loaner cars if you've called in advance for service. Gotta show up early, but they'll reserve a service loaner. I actually had a coupon from my dealer for an $18 oil change. I had a Honda Accord. Called their service dept and asked if my coupon was good for an Accord. "Bring it on in" they said.

I think this was probably planned as they sales person who had sold me my '04 TL saw me in the service dept and asked what I was doing. I told him. He talked to the service writer and had them give me a TL SH AWD loaner. Understand, the oil change was going to take 30 minutes....45 minutes max. Service writer just told me to have the loaner back by the time they closed (this was 8:30 a.m.-they closed at 7:00 p.m.). What a blast I had. While I didn't buy the TL then, it was just a matter of a few months before I did pull the trigger.

MPG? I'm pleased. I did get 29 MPG on my '04 TL on highway trips. So, a little down from that on my '10 TL. But, it's much faster and is SH AWD so I'm still pleased.

535i is a nice car. But, as you say, there's about a $20K delta between it and a TL if you load both up. They're about the same size. They perform about the same. I dunno, dollar for dollar, tough to make a case for the extra $20K.

The good news is, she won't spend much time in the service area of the Acura dealership. They're built like tanks, screwed together very well, and need little in the way of service. Plus, about the only time she will go to the dealership for the first few years is for oil changes.....that's it.

I just did a full detail on my TL at the 4 month mark. Not that it needed it, but I did a full wash/2 coats of Zaino/leather treated the seats/tire dressing, etc. Got some really nice kudos on it since it's all shiny and bright. Probably do another coat of Zaino this Fall sometime to get it ready for winter, even though it's garaged all the time.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    rlonn....only thing I can say is I set the cruise on 70 MPH (speed limit) through IN into IL. Practically no traffic. Stopped only for food and bathroom breaks (seats are wonderful in this car).

I figured the MPG manually and via the car computer (which was surprisingly accurate...only about .2 MPG lower than my manual calculations). It is what it is. I used Costco gas on the way out. And, I used Shell gas on the way back.
  • Options
    Had a good time in my TL SH AWD yesterday, in the rain, no less. It was pouring and I was on some two lane backroads. If it wasn't for the fact that it wasn't sunny, and that I had the windshield wipers on, you wouldn't have known it was raining as the TL performed superbly.

It didn't seem like you could break traction, even going around sharp corners at 15-20 MPH over the posted speed limit.
  • Options
    tlflogger1011tlflogger1011 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    I have a 2010 TL / tech pkg. (about 90 days old) my wife and I drove to Washington, DC from Memphis, TN. I got on one tank through the mountains 28.9 mpg. My technique was to maintain 70 mph up the hills and coast down the hills where possible. I was averaging on the trip computer as high as 31-32 mpg average!!

I tried the cruise control and actually got less miles per gallons (24.5 - 25.5mpg) setting it to 70 mph.
  • Options
    TL....that's good MPG.....especially through the mountains. :)
  • Options
    rlonn1rlonn1 Member Posts: 106
    I guess if you had a strong tailwind anything is possible! ;)
  • Options
    billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Question to the Tech savvy guys: Can the portable HD radios with the USB connector work with the TL radio- you know, just like the way you would connect an IPOD?
  • Options
    billy....never tried it. I would think so. I know Pandora and Stitcher works via the USB port from my phone. So, it should work.
  • Options
    Gotta say, just got done putting a wax job on my 5 month old TL. It's looking good (got some thumbs up after I got it all shiny). Got a chance to look at the paint job closely. The paint is done well (I've got "white diamond pearl"). Surprisingly, I usually have at least a few stone chips by now. But, (knock on wood) I don't have any I can see. And, I've done more than a few road trips in it, too.

Extremely pleased so far.
  • Options
    Mine is over one year old (same color as yours) and I have a pin head stone chip right before the moon roof. Luckily, I have the touch up paint that does a good job hiding those blemishes. I am very pleased with the paint and how the Zaino products enhances the shine- my nephew in law saw my car for the first time a couple of months ago and thought it had just left the showroom floor.
  • Options
    yoyooneyoyoone Member Posts: 9
    i am thinking of replacing my 2008 tl type s with the 2010 with tech pkg... any feed back on the 2010 would be great especially if you had owned the 2008 type s

will a miss the tyupe s will i love the 2010.. should i get the 2011 tl with tech pkg... are the low profile 18" wheels good in new yor pothole city

look forward to hearing your experience

thank you

w
  • Options
    I JUst installed the led bulbs in the rear license plate and it makes such a difference. The OEM bulbs are a joke, I don't why Acura does not use the bright whites back there as well as on the DRL-it makes the car look much more modern.My next switch is the DRL, I will keep you posted.
  • Options
    bostonbullbostonbull Member Posts: 4
  • Options
    bostonbullbostonbull Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking at either buying a 2009 TL w/Tech, 40k or less miles. Or leasing a 2011/2012TL w/Tech with 15k+ miles/year.

I want to pay no more than 23k with trade in, I figure I'm going to bring about 1k-2k over from my trade. ( Ic ould certainly pay the difference in cash if need be)

If I lease I want the payment no more than 425/month including trade, with nothing out of pocket if I can avoid it.

I have my own financing for the purchase, dont know how leases work.....at all really.
    Are these realistic #'s in Massachusetts or New Hampshire?
  • Options
    rzurawikrzurawik Member Posts: 13
  • Options
    rzurawikrzurawik Member Posts: 13
    I Have a 2009 TL FWD, navigation. Every time I get in the car and start it the front inside windshield fogs up and I have to put the defroster in for a minute or two. I live in So Cal and it happens every time I get in the car (Hot, Cold, perfect) it doesn't matter the weather. I can understand when it is humid or if I was using the A/C but it happens everytime I get in the car....help
  • Options
    jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    Hi, my wife has the 2010 Acura TL with the 3.5L engine.
    I just found out this engine has a timing belt. Is this true? is the engine an interference engine?
    How much does it usually cost to replace the timing belt and water pump assembly and at what mileage should it be done?
  • Options
    marcus216marcus216 Member Posts: 78
    I have a year old 2010 TL SH-AWD without the tech. I use an $80 Garmin as my NAV system and it works fine for me. I really do like the car. The SH-AWD is great here in Northeast Ohio with all the snow we receive. The car handles like it is on rails. I have driven the last generation model and it is quite a different feel than the new model. My SH-AWD has a fairly stiff suspension. That is nice on curves but I do feel road imperfections especially on the crummy roads we have up here in Northern Ohio. My understanding is that the FWD version has a softer suspension. If I had my choice, I would rather see a bit softer ride on my car, but that is personal preference. The ride is certainly not harsh. Backseat has plenty of room to seat two adults comfortably. The interior is great especially the seats. I have had no issues at all with the car and think it is a tremendous value compared to BMW, Audi, etc. Some people complain about the grill, though they have toned it down a bit for the 2012 model currently on sale, but I like the look.
  • Options
    Same here, I have the 2009 AWD with the Tech Package and I love it- last weekend I put several coats of Zaino polish on-WOW.
    I think it looks more aggresive on the road than the refreshed version especially from behind with the faux quads. I only have approx 10K miles on but I am taking it down to Harrisburg PA next week-travelling from CT. I hope I dont get much rock chips on the front end.
  • Options
    shaymasdaddy06shaymasdaddy06 Member Posts: 17
    I just traded in my accord coupe for a CPO '09 TL SH-AWD Tech w/ HPTs and this is by far my favorite car. I have the pearl white with the umber leather...what a great combination!!! The kids love having more backseat room. Before, my '95 Mazda Millenia S was my alI-time favorite car but this TL is all that and then some. The ride is firm with the 19s but there are no rattles. The sound of the quad exhaust is so euphoric that I look for excuses to drive it.
    Although the 2012 mild refresh may have addressed the opinion of the masses, the 2009 - 11s have more character and a more aggressive look. The TL is an awesome car....don't believe the critics. Drive it for yourself. Glad I did!!!!
  • Options
    jwboothjwbooth Member Posts: 27
    Lost one of my keys today.

Acura dealers closed now, but I believe I was told it's a few hundred dollars for a replacement key.

Is there a discount place online that can replace a key for a cheaper price?

I have a feeling no, that it's only going to be an Acura dealer, but I'm hoping there's a more economical way.

Also - is there a main Edmunds Acura forum where I can post this, as this is a question for everyone who has an Acura key with a sensor chip in it? The post is really not only for this forum.
  • Options
    jwboothjwbooth Member Posts: 27
    I have an '09 TL and for the 1st time since I got the car I'm disgusted with Acura.

I didn't renew my AAA membership because Acura told me I'm covered for all of those things that I would use the AAA for.

Tonight I lost my key after starting the car - not sure exactly how.
    Pulled into a gas station, turned off the car. Then realized my key is missing. The car is in park, so cannot push it.

Called Acura for a tow, using their Roadside Service number for the 1st time. I was planning to visit a friend about 40 yards from the gas station.

Acura told me they can tow me FOR FREE to the nearest Acura dealer, who is about 7 miles away.
    But they would charge me $83 to tow me 40 yards to where I want to go (and leave the car until tomorrow, when I can get my 2nd key).

I spoke to a manager, but common sense and logic and customer service did NOT prevail - I was left with those as my only 2 options.

Disgusted with Acura.
    I reread their roadside info.
    It states that they will tow to the nearest dealer, even if it's 400 miles away - for no charge.

When I read that I didn't realize that was my ONLY option - am now going to rejoin AAA tomorrow.

FU Acura - horrible customer service and a ridiculous policy.

Can anyone suggest the best number to call or address to email to complain about this?

Also, can anyone suggest a cheaper way to get a new key made than paying full retail at the dealer - I believe it's a few hundred thru them for another key?

And - is there a general overall Acura forum at Edmunds?
    I'd like all to have the option of reading this rather than restricting my audience to only '09 and later TL members?
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    Not sure where you are located, but call around to different dealerships. My wife thought she lost her keys to our TSX after she pulled into the garage. I called a few dealerships and got quotes as high as $365 (Greenwich Acura). My dealer (Acura of Westchester) was much, much cheaper.

IIRC, you can buy generic keys online, but still have to pay an hour of dealership labor to get it programmed.

Luckily my landscaper found the keys 4 days later.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    happynanahappynana Member Posts: 6
    Last week I purchased a 2012 TL SH-AWD with Tech to replace my 2005 RL. I love the car except for one thing: the head restraints are impossible. Sadly, the head restraints aren't something I paid any attention to on the test drive. However, once I owned the car and started driving more than a few minutes I realized that because the head restraints point so far forward I can't find even a reasonably comfortable driving position. I am 5'4'', not an unusual height for a woman. I can lessen the head problem by leaning the seat quite far back but then I have no back support and end up with a backache.

Have any of you wizards out there had this problem and have any of you found a solution?

HELP!
  • Options
    billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    I just swithed out the factory fog lights (dingy yellow ones) on my 09 AWD to the HID (bright white)- What a diffrence in illumination and apperance-WOW.
    I would suggest this upgrade to everyone, make sure you get right hid kit and a respectable installer. It is a do it yourself job but I just dont have the time and patience to do it.
  • Options
    defieldingdefielding Member Posts: 35
    My wife just got a 2013 TL with SH-AWD and the tech package. Made a great deal as the Acura dealer was clearing out the '13s to make room for the 2014 model. Got it in black with black interior and as far as my wife and I are concerned, it is absolutely drop-dead gorgeous (exterior and interior). Also, what an incredible car to drive. The suspension is excellent on smooth roads (handles as if on rails), a bit harder than I like on pot-holed roads.