Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• gundersengundersen Member Posts: 14
    No Type-S. 2 versions though. 3.5L 280 hp and 3.7 300 or more Hp AWD
  • fozzyfoefozzyfoe Member Posts: 19
    Thanks Gunderson, I really wanted to know if anyone knows about future type-s cars. I am under the impression that the future type-s will have around 350HP. That would be cool but a twin-turbo TL would be even better! Something to roll with the IS-F. That probably won't happen due to the NSX but they should really consider offerring something a bit more extreme. We'll see....
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Unlike in the past, at ~$4.25/gallon for premium, I don't think there'd be much demand for an "S" model. That's because the super rich - those who don't flinch over high fuel prices - buy Ferraris, Bentleys, and other exotics, and high end German brands, not TLs, while many of the comfortable and well off, but not super rich, folks have a certain sensitivity for high fuel prices.

Although a TL-S can't be ruled out, I think you're more likely to see a diesel option for 2011. I understand the TSX will get a diesel option for 2010, so I'm thinking the TL's will follow about one year later.

Honda has stated it will offer hybrids for mileage conscious buyers of Civic-size cars and smaller, and four and six cylinder diesels for larger vehicles.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    2013 could provide a Type-S. Both engines can be had with SH-AWD. 3.7L is Tech Package and SH-AWD only. 3.5L can be ordered with FWD if you wanted it.
  • traumeritraumeri Member Posts: 32
    think they'll wait that long to provide a type-s?
  • srvlonghornsrvlonghorn Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone have any knowledge of the new technology that may be put into the 2009 TL?

Automatic Headlights? (my biggest pet peeve with my 2003 Civic EX & the wife's 2008 Pilot)
    Ventilated AC Seats?
    Remote Key Fob?
    Cylinder De-activation?
    Ipod Adapter?
    DVD Player for when the car is in park?
    Solar powered exhaust fan to circulate the hot air when parked outside? (okay, I know I'm pushing it!)

I can look past the exterior's less than desirable asthetics if I feel that I am in a 'luxurious', reliable car.

Finally, is it worth the wait or should I just get the Mercedes C300 Sport now which in my opinion is the best looking car on the market, but by no means is as reliable as a Honda/Acura.

Thanks! :shades:
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I would say automatic headlights for sure, since the '09 TSX already has it. Ipod adaptor not the same as mp3 adaptor? Ventilated seats maybe. What do you mean by remote key fob? Aren't all key fobs remote?
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Cylinder de-activation would be interesting in a vehicle of this type. As I have stated before, I don't think the majority of buyers have fuel economy as a first priority. That was then, this is now. VCM may attract buyers that would otherwise be looking at, perhaps a four cylinder performance sedan.
    The marketing savy experts at Apple made sure their connection is different from other mp3 players. Currently Mercedes and I believe BMW have Ipod compatible connections.

As for the key fob, I like the option of keeping the key in your pocket/purse at all times and just pressing a ignition button without having to turn a key into the ignition. Definitely not a necessity but it is a nice feature.

I'm glad to hear automatic headlights are available though, thanks for the feedback!
  • winstewinste Member Posts: 6
    Infiiniti has iPod integration as well.

Difference between AUX input and integration is the iPod menus show up on the cars touchscreen. Very slick.
    Automatic headlamps = maybe
    Ventilated Seats = maybe on the top end trims
    Remote Key Fob = yes
    Cylinder Deactivation aka VCM = no
    iPod adaptor = yes of course. Acura just developed a USB port that can play ipods but only newer ones.
    DVD player while in park ok = probably not

Hope this helps.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    For a 4 cylinder performance sedan, you could just look at the TSX instead of the TL.

VCM would be nice, but I don't know whether or not Acura will go for it; does the MDX have VCM?

And automatic headlights better appear- both of my Nissan products have them (Altima and I35) as well as higher end Accords.
    All 09 TL's should get a nice USB port. It plays USB devices and iPods. You have to have a fairly recent iPod in order to use it though. All you need for iPod is just the cable that plugs into your computer.
    I think it will also be getting a 20gb hard drive onboard, although whether or not it will play Apple's DRM-limited format is another thing (but that's Apple's fault).

RE: automatic headlights, are we talking about adaptive headlights as well?
    These things are all great, just, we need to know an extreme sport version such as the IS-F is in the works.
    I think the 20 GB hard drive is for the tech package model. There is no way Acura wants it standard. The USB port will likely be standard.
    Some execs in Japan like the idea of Type-S being like an AMG, M caliber vehicle.
    Makes sense to me, as the rumor is for 2 engines and 3+ trims so far ala the German formula. They may want to try offering sports suspension as a package as well instead of an outright Type-S, leaving them time/room to develop a "true" Type-S like the BMW M series.
    Also the USB port requires an ipod thats at least a 5th generation. Or in that timeframe. The new Nano, touch, phone, classic and touch work. So if you have an older one then you will have to consider replacing it if you want to use the USB port.
    does the MDX have VCM?

Negative, however the new Pilot does.
    which would be a good clue that the TL will not have VCM, even though the Accord does. I guess Honda has the idea that VCM has an "economy" connotation, which would not be in keeping with their "upscale" offerings. :confuse:
    Perhaps they figure improved gearbox (6 speed AT?) will yield similar fuel economy similar to the offering on Accord Coupe vs Sedan (non-VCM vs VCM-standard)
    Yes, I would go for a 6-sp auto over VCM, but I doubt they would offer the 6-sp auto, since neither MDX nor RL has one.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Can someone go and dig deep for some more photos-please?
    billy-

They have a few lightly camo'ed pics over on temple of vtec.
    Are they the same ones shown here?
    This wait is killing me, I only need to see a full blown picture of this car so I can make my decision between it and the current GS 350.
    Why is it that Acura is waiting so long unvail the new TL. It's seems ridiculous. Like it's some sort of new revolutionary design!! Judging from the camo pics, it doesn't even look as good as the current model. Other car companies release pics a year or more in advance. The new model comes out in a few months. Even on Acura.com they've introduced the 2009 models of the RL and the TSX. What gives!?
    This has always been Honda's strategy (which I disagree with). They figure by keeping the new one under wraps, people will keep buying the current model. But I think by so doing they actually piss off customers, and some, such as billyperks, may lose patient and buy from a competing manufacturer.

I think Honda needs to realize that we are in the information age!
    If you have an iPod older than a 5th Generation unit then you cant use the USB port. Then you must shell out for a new one. The nano works with it. Any iPod built after the 5th generation video one will work. Sorry if you have a 4th gen or older one. I guess they didn't design the USB port for it.
  • jtsaint72jtsaint72 Member Posts: 9
    FYI - 09 TL has Auto headlights now... as well as auto off
    Have you seen the car?

Show us your proof.
    Well, even the '08 TL has auto headlights, so it would seem impossible for the '09 not to have them.
    Better question is whether the adaptive or "active" headlights from the RL will make it on the TL. Another good question is whether the rumor from C&D about the DSG-like 6-sp auto has any credence.
    I am tired of the questions/speculations/rumors-I want results.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    While that's understandable, please don't take out your frustrations on members of the group - we don't have any more information than you do!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Does anyone know why Acura doesn't seem to be going the Hybrid direction? A while back they hinted at a TL or RL with a 100HP hybrid engine on top of a 300HP gas engine. With new SHWAD TL soon to be out, a hybrid engine on top would be pretty nice!
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I'd speculate that the reason is that Honda is a bit behind the others (namely, Toyota) on Hybrid development, plus Honda uses a different approach than Hybrid Synergy Drive or GM's 2 mode Hybrids; I've heard that IMA is a totally different architecture (but simpler) than HSD or 2-mode.

Just speculating; I don't have any inside info. to share.
    Honda, historically, has always been late to the party in regard to almost any emerging trend/market segment......V6, fully automatic tranny, minivan, pickup truck, SUV, AWD, etc.
    I don't think there is much of a market for high powered, high performance hybrids, YET. Remember, Honda couldn't even sell a hybrid Accord so they discontinued it. A high perf. hybrid doesn't get nearly enough gas mileage to compete even with the average 4 cylinder. It'll happen, but not for some years.
    No SH-AWD on 3.5L. You can get a 3.7L without nav but those could be rare. Manual won't be avaliable till 2010. No 6AT or that DSG like gearbox. RL v6 on the SH-AWD model. The Tech package has the navi and push button start. 19" summer tires as well. Trim levels are below. One person supposedly started allocations for the 09. Expect the 09 TL this fall. Hope this helps.

1. UA8269JW 5AT. Base model with 17" wheels / 3.5L 280HP
    2. UA8659KW 5AT. Technology Package, Navi and Smart key (push button)
    3. UA9629JW SH-AWD (like the Base model but with SH-AWD and 18" wheels) / 3.7L 310HP
    4. UA9659KW SH-AWD and Technology Package / 18" wheels
    5. UA9659KXW Just like previous model + 19" wheels and summer tires...
    Thanks for the info! So it appears one can get SH-AWD & the big motor without having to buy the nav or the push-button start. That would be the configuration I would consider.
  • boe_dboe_d Member Posts: 66
    Hello,

I've had my TL for 8 years now and enjoyed it about as much as the civic I had for 8 years before that. However, even though I enjoy some of the luxury features of the Acura, I'm done with them. I'll give one of the new hybrids coming out from Lexus next year a try. The TSX proves Acura has wandered from their previous efficiencies. The TSX has low HP and crappy gas mileage. I doubt the TL will impress. Acura should have made a fuel efficient Acura TL along with a muscle version - Type S and perhaps they should have made a middle of the road version. The people who want more HP seem to be the most outspoken and say things like they shouldn't produce a fuel efficient version - I'm open to them still making a 500 HP type S for people who are heading to the thunderdome but in all the states I drive they give you tickets for speeding and I'm not towing a yacht behind my car so I don't really need much more than 220HP for a car of that size and weight.

You can go on and on trying to convince me that hybrids pollute more than other cars - fact is the batteries are recyclable. I'd have to drive 10 million miles to get back what I paid extra for hybrid - I don't like going to the gas station and waiting form some idiot to pick their numbers and get a softpack of such and such that only comes in hardpack. I don't like encouraging crazy fuel fees or sending my money to countries that have been at war since the beginning of recorded history.
    The nav package might include a bunch more options as well.
  • rik3rik3 Member Posts: 1
    Honda is spending a huge amount of money on their Hydrogen Technology. There are full size cars being testing around the world, specifically in England where a Hydrogen Civic is ready for the US market. You should have seen recently the TV commericals talking about the upcoming Hydrogen Honda's. There will be no need for stations as I understand it, for the water is cooled, filtered and returned to the "water" chargeing tank.
    Allocations already? Hopefully that means more revealing photos soon. Have you seen it in person yet, just curious as you seem to have more of an inside track than most. Since there is no SH-AWD on the 3.5L, will it feature VCM like the Accord?

In general I don't fault Honda for not pursuing Hybrids as it is really a band-aid solution until battery technology improve. Hydrogen cars will be interesting, but will be interesting to see if water resources beomce a constraint.
    Any info on whether the new TL will have an improved security system? I've always thought the factory security system is so so wimpy. Basically just the horn hooked up to the door locks. No motion sensor, no glass-break sensor, no 2-way communication, no disgnostic, no user-programmability, etc. Hell, not even a proper siren. :sick:

All the upper echelon brands seem to have more elaborate systems. I like the BMW system, in particular. You would think with all the fancy electronics in the rest of the car, they would do something with the security system.
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    I'm with you on this. Even before the latest jump in gas prices I said Acura would do well with leaving the TL pretty much as is power wise and increase fuel efficiency by 10%. Anything over 220 or so hp is just "dick waving" since 95% of the drivers dont use the additional hp 95% of the time. The folks that slam the pedal down are the same ones complaining about needing new tires and brakes at 15k miles.

Mileage is one of the reasons I bought my 06 TL instead of the G35. I see no reason for Acura to enter the horsepower war with the TL. It's a great car as is.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    MPG was one of several traits that put a TL in my garage vs. the G, too.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I am in total agreement with you practical people.

My daily commute is in bumper to bumper traffic. When am I going to need to go 0-60 in 5 seconds? I will admit it is nice to be able to pass someone quickly when the situation presents itself but I certainly don't need to "compensate" for "you-know-what" by getting a 300+HP vehicle or a Hummer.

I am looking for a vehicle that has placed an emphasis on luxury & reliability thus my interest in the Acura TL. However I am totally turned off by the lack of information coming from Acura. I may end up taking a chance on the Mercedes C-class.
    FYI- all of the alleged allocation info is posted over on www.tovt.net.
    Word of caution, this info was in the form of an e-mail from a member of their forum. ;)