Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Have you driven the RL? I think this car is a wonderful blend of luxury, performance and value.Personally, I think the V8 is the only thing missing, I drove it last weekend and I was impressed with its handling, pickup and the luxury appointments which are standard of course.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    If one has a 99-03 TL, or an 04-05 TL with high mileage, now would be time to buy an 08 and have what will be a classic design. Hang onto 08 until 09-13 gen is history. Perhaps the 2014 TL will return to elegant and tasteful design.

If wait too long (early Oct) and can't get an 08 TL, look elsewhere, maybe to Infiniti G series.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Wait until you've driven an '09 TL SH-AWD, and then come back and see whether you still consider the RL an viable alternative. I was just saying that, on paper, the '09 TL appears to render the RL redundant, right down to the controversial grill. I wasn't commenting on whether the RL is, or is not, a wonderful blend of anything.
    I had a '09 TSX as a service loaner for a day, and yes, the backseat is tighter than in the TL. I was quite impressed with the TSX on an earlier 15-minute test drive, but less so after driving it for a day. The steering is a little too loosey goosey for me. The power is ok, and an improvement from the previous TSX, but the tranny needs to downshift quite a bit when power is called on. The car is now the same size as the current TL, so no advantage there if one is looking for a compact sports sedan.

But the kicker is, in this neck of the woods at least, one can get a '08 TL-Nav for almost the same price as a top-of-the-line TSX, comparing out-the-door prices, due to factory incentives and discounts on the TL. So, if I did not already have a TL, I would buy an '08 TL over the new TSX, because I still think the TL is more car for the money.
  • xando05xando05 Member Posts: 42
    2009 TL SH-AWD
    2008 Toyota Highlander Sport or Limited AWD
    2008 Cadillac CTS AWD
    2009 Cadillac STS AWD
    2009 Lincoln MKS AWD
    2009 Jaguar XF with optional Jaguar snow traction system accessory(special snow chains)

Any serious input would be very helpful.
  • sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    Have you driven the new Accord to compare with tour TL and your loaner TSX?
    No, I have not had the chance (nor any serious inclination, since I just find it too big, and lacking in a few luxury features, and can't quite decide what to make of the styling), but I suspect the V6 version will drive much like the current TL, but probably with a cushier ride.
  • lilajlilaj Member Posts: 15
    First of all the RL received a MMC for 2009, so the changes aren't suppose to be major. When the car is redesigned in 2010 it will have honda first ever V8 engine.
  • shaymasdaddyshaymasdaddy Member Posts: 16
    Just remember, a fair apples-to-apples comparison is the '09 Max and the '09 TL with FWD not the SH-AWD since the Maxima does not have a AWD offering. With that in mind using $34K as the base price for the TL and a conservative estimate of $4K for the Tech Pkg, the price would be between 38 and 39K including destination.

But I do agree that you won't find Acura 'giving away' '09 TLs for 3K off MSRP once they go on the market in Sept. When the SH-AWD version comes out in Nov, prices for the new TL FWD will come down some more due to a shift in demand. And maybe by that time, Nissan will be giving $3-4K off across the board on all '09 Maximas. We'll see....
  • logic2klogic2k Member Posts: 10
    So you drove them both and came to your conclusion?
    "...on paper, the '09 TL appears to render the RL redundant"

That's what I said. I doubt anyone here has driven an '09 TL. Don't try to be a smart-[non-permissible content removed], billy.
    I knew you had a sense of humor. :)
  • jresjres Member Posts: 69
    Does Acura still offer a decent (6 speed manual) transmission with the SH-AWD????
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    New 09 Maxima's can be had for $4k off MSRP in some regions of the country. Check out Dobbs Nissan's website in Memphis as an example. On the other side, major metropolitan areas seem to be offerring no discounts.

I've have an 04 TL which has had lots of mechanical problems. So, I just bought an 09 Maxima. Early owner reviews of Maxima owners has been very positive. Time will tell if the Maxima lives up to the quality I'm expecting. Its gotta be better than my 04 TL!!
  • dtd1dtd1 Member Posts: 10
    Might take up this advice. Don't need a new car until November and had been planning to pick up a 09 TL. But after seeing pictures of the real thing--no thanks, for all the reasons people have been citing (too big, too ugly, etc). Some have suggested not drawing any conclusions until after seeing and driving one in person. Just can't see how that will sway my opinion all the way back into the 09 TL camp.

After a few test drives, the current TL-S has really impressed me against competing BMW 328xi, Audi A4, and Lexus IS250 (current car is a BMW M Series/prior are BMW 325, Lexus and Porsche). The other cars I drove just felt too small after driving the TL-S, which seems about the right size. While I'm somewhat hesitant to buy the "lame duck" 08 model, it's currently my number one pick and I might snag one before they're gone.
    Humor is my middle name. ;)
  • slim83slim83 Member Posts: 25
    Does anyone know when Acura will release official information on its website? I know the embargo is this Sunday for reviewers so I’m assuming they will add additional information before that time.
    is about the same size as the Hyundai Genesis.....the Genesis may even undercut the TL in price...the Genesis has been compared to the BMW 550 in performance, beats it in luxury, and it looks great....the TL, meanwhile, apparently has been inflicted with Down Syndrome. Hmm.....well, just a thought! ;)
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    When it goes on sale in September.
    17/25 is the official EPA ratings. This is from Acura so it's good. The torque dropped down to 273 from 275 but that's no biggie.
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    But where is the HD radio,
    BMW has it, I would really like to see it on the 09 TL,
    The 09 seems bloated to me, I am at the stage of my life where I do not need bigger. Currently have an 07 base and love the car.
    TSX at least the last gen no power with auto,perhaps the new one is a little
    better.
    Old Mike
    HD radio would be the deal breaker?
    You can actually buy the HD receiver and run it through an aux jack.

I think the Sat Radio would do the job though.
    Same here. I don't need bigger car. Smaller, if anything. Kids are pretty much on their own. If I had a bigger car, I would just be playing chauffeur to the in-laws and everyone else who wants to save on gas! :cry:

You should try the new TSX though. There is noticeably more low-end torque compared to the previous generation.
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    17/25 MPG is kinda low. Would have hoped for a couple of MPGs better. I suspect it will require mid-grade or Premium gas.
  • boikoboiko Member Posts: 82
    You want to blame somebody..here he is. Watch this video and tell me what..YOU think.

OK....here is the guy that took one of the best looking cars on the road (designed and built in Ohio) and redesigned it "at our new fantastic studio in Torrance California"???...using Acura's new "Keen-Edged Dynamic" design ..????

- The design in the back just doesn't flow
    - What's up with that rear deck spoiler??
    - Looks like rear lights just stuck on the rear bumper
    - The front carries the new Acura corporate design symbol to an almost comic/size level.

To me, he sounds more like a marketing guy....then a designer. There is something really wrong here. He says things like.."this has not been done before.." Why did they OK this design? I drive an 06 TL and was thinking about getting a new one when they came out...but now. As someone said, it's almost like Acura's version of the Pontiac Astek.

I would love to know what the previous TL designers think of this new gen TL.

Here's the video: link title

-mike-
    All 09 TL's run on premium. The non SH-AWD model will get better mileage. This is just for the SH-AWD model not the base model.
    http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=783074
    http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=782946

Some features. The tech package is more than just the GPS. If you want the ELS system you must get the tech package. It confirmrs the Hard drive Navigation system. Up to 12.7 GB of music and you can put photos. It also uses gracenote for music info. That will require updates though.

Edit: All tech package models have that rear spoiler so you cant remove the rear spoiler since thats where the backup camera is.
    The keyless entry is like the RL on the tech package. The keyfob port is only useful if your keyfob dies. It can be anywhere and it has a smart key type system. Hope this helps.
    The TL SH-AWD may not be for those who want an AWD TL. The suspension was more tuned for sport rather than comfort. It's for those who want a sportier TL.
  • sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    Here is the first report from a Cdn journalist, courtesy of www.CanadianDriver.com
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/2009-acura-tl.php
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    "...Some features. The tech package is more than just the GPS. If you want the ELS system you must get the tech package..."

Can you order the GPS without the tech package, or does the GPS only come bundled with the tech package? The reason I ask is because, in my view (and I know I may be in the minority on this), the rear deck lid spoiler detracts from the appearance of most sedans, including the '09 TL. To me, it cheapens the appearance.

Also, please excuse mt ignorance, but what's ELS?
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    ELS- Eliott Schiener surround sound.
    Thanks, upstatedoc.

My wife and I love her '99 TL, but my impression of the '09, especially the SH-AWD version, is that it's more car than we need...or want. How often would you need SH-AWD, even for spirited (as opposed to very aggressive) driving? It seems to me you'd have to look for excuses to corner, accelerate, and brake at the limit to really benefit from this feature, and put up with a harsher ride and less fuel economy the rest of the time. I think a nicely equipped Accord or '08 TL, as examples, would suit us better than the '09 TL. It's a matter of suitability, not affordability. Acura, and maybe Honda too, may have lost us.
    No you must get the GPS with the tech pacakge. The lip spoiler is needed for the backup camera.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    If my '05 TL had SH-AWD, I still might be driving it today. It would not make it up my hill in the winter even with 4 snows. That would be my only real use for it. Our '07 MDX has it and it only engages if you really push it hard. I'd love to take it to the track someday. :)
    "It would not make it up my hill in the winter even with 4 snows. That would be my only real use for it."

In your case AWD is justified. I imagine, though, that your hill gets plowed, and on most winter days you could climb the hill with snow tires. What did drivers in your neighborhood do before AWD became common?
    "No you must get the GPS with the tech pacakge. The lip spoiler is needed for the backup camera."

I'd like NAV, but that lip spoiler looks ugly enough to me to be a disincentive for buying the Tech Package. If I bought a '09 TL I'd probably skip the Tech Package and buy an after market GPS.
  • ajcohenajcohen Member Posts: 16
    Check it out, it's finally up!
    http://www.acura.com/
    Yippee!
    My next car! :)
    AJ
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    I'm sorry, it's still fugly on the outside. I'd have been more impressed with less hp on more fuel economy.
    More fuel economy can be solved with a 6 speed automatic or DSG but that won't be for a while. The 09 TL uses an Electric Power Steering pump which is a good thing.
    The looks I can almost put up with, or eventually would get used to, but the size....I dunno...195" long and worse, 75" wide....that's into mid-size SUV territory!
  • shaymasdaddyshaymasdaddy Member Posts: 16
    The design has grown on me but the TL video on acura.com is not flattering at all. The 18's look puny on the SH-AWD and entice you to spend the extra $$s for the 19' wheel package. (great marketing Acura,,,: ( you know how to stick it to the consumer!!!)

I still have to see it in person for final judgment as it seems every reviewer who slammed the new design based on pics had a change of heart when they saw it in person.
  • docrwdocrw Member Posts: 94
    Putting aside the aesthetics of the car for a moment, the overall design is remarkably inept and will likely keep me from buying it despite my initial excitement.

My major gripe is with the efficiency of the design. If you are going to make the car larger the benefits should be increased interior room and storage. The problem here is that the wheelbase is still far too short for a car of this length and thus the trunk is only 13.1 or 12.5 cubic feet, depending on whether you get the base TL or the SH-AWD version.

Lets look at 4 cars in 3 different price ranges to see how to design a car more efficiently. Fist, at the high end, the Jaguar XF is the exact same overall length, but rides on a 5 inch longer wheelbase, as such, the trunk is almost 5 cubic feet larger and has a larger rear seat. In the same price range as the TL, the Hyundai Genesis is only 0.6 inches longer overall, but rides on a 6 inch longer wheelbase and has 2.5 inches more rear legroom and a trunk that is 3 cubic feet larger than the base TL. Third, in the segment just below the TL, the 09 Mazda 6 is 1.5 inches shorter, with an almost identical wheelbase, yet has 2 more inches of rear legroom and trunk that is almost 3.5 cubic feet larger than the base TL.

Finally, if you want to see an example of highly efficient design look at the Volkswagen Passat, the car I own now and was hoping to trade in for the new TL when I heard it would be larger. It is 7 inches shorter than the TL but has 1.5 inches more rear legroom and more than a cubic foot more storage in the trunk.

Even the Accord, which is an inch shorter overall, has one inch more rear legroom and a trunk that is one cubic foot larger than the base TL!

So what is the point of the added length of the new TL if there are no real benefits in the inside of the car and you have the added drawbacks of larger front and rear overhangs? This is a design disaster with a total disregard for efficiency. The designers should have taken a page from the Mazda or VW design group and have kept the new TL roughly the same size as the old one, maybe add a couple of inches in length (192 inches keeps it roughly the same size as the M, GS, E and 5 series), and increase the wheelbase out to 114-115 inches to achieve a real difference in interior room and trunk space and still have an athletic fun to drive car. This TL is neither athletic nor roomy, just big and bloated and an overall big disappointment.
    Good points. Proabably why when I showed my son a picture of the TL, he said, "that looks like an American car"!
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Probably why when I showed my son a picture of the TL, he said, "that looks like an American car"!

That's priceless!

Regards,
    OW