Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    So what I'm saying is take everything with a grain of salt, don't base everything on a writeup in a magazine or a skidpad number. Look at the total package and get out there and test it yourself!

Agree that one's own testing, and on multitude of road types, is obviously required. Do this a couple, few times. Would not trust a "single" write-up of a road test on a car from a magazine to help pick a possible new car. But, do feel confident about considering a new car to look at and test drive when there is a consensus good opinion about the attributes of a car from multiple sources - magazines, tv, newspapers, online. An example would be the consensus good reviews on 3-series. However, would not consider even looking at a car to go see/test drive if consensus is mediocre or negative.

This is no different than trusting movie reviews or restaurant reviews or other reviews. If 3 movie reviewers (small number compared to possible sources of review of a car) give a movie one-half, one and one star, and then reading write-up gives reasons, there is no way I will waste time/money to go to that movie. Same with restaurant reviews.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    My point being that the test mules and "stock" cars often have varying tires, so even though a concensus of articles may say "poor handling" it may be due to the fact that they all pulled from the same exact fleet of "press cars" and/or ones with inherintly poor stock tires. Hence why some cars do a lot better than others in terms of handling when there is a writeup done. In the case of the G35 v. Acura we are discussing here, perhaps (and I don't know the facts) the G35 comes with RE92 aka crappy tires and the Acura comes with RE950 aka good summer tires. Then the Acura is going to get a better handling writeup v. G35, however if the G35 had RE950s it might have handled better than the Acura.

-mike
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I had Bridgestones on my TL, but exact model I don't recall. They were summer tires. ;)

-Rocky
    Haaa, they make a range, from bad to outstanding :)

But put a set of Azenis Sports or Toyo RA1s on these cars and then put em out on the skid pad :)

-mike
    Yeah, I heard both are pretty sticky but expensive. ;)

-Rocky
    RA1s are expensive about $150-160 a tire.
    Azenis run $115-120 for 17" tires, a bargain in my book.

-mike
    A bargain lol.....Well for the wealthy like you it might !!!! ;)

-Rocky
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    My point being that the test mules and "stock" cars often have varying tires, so even though a concensus of articles may say "poor handling" it may be due to the fact that they all pulled from the same exact fleet of "press cars" and/or ones with inherintly poor stock tires.

If everyone says poor handling on a vehicle, and backs it up with test data, it is indeed representative of how the mfr has equipped the car. Further, if CR also says poor handling, what more opinion does one need. CR supposedly buys its cars anonymously from dealers and therefore is less likely to get fooled with a possible "setup" car that might be given to some popular car magazine testers.

Would think that experienced race car builders could take any car and do susp, brake and tire mods on it to make it perform much better in measured tests than a car right off of the showroom floor. However, the level playing field for comparing car performance ought to be using cars that are stock right off of the showroom floor or dealer's lot.
    While I agree, tires are an item where a lot of manufacturers skimp on or dumb down for various reasons. Ride quality and cost being to two most popular reasons for OEM tire choices. So you can blame the manufacturer all you want but if a simple (and I consider changing tires about as simple as you can get for a car mod) tire change can elevate a cars handling above the OEM tires, then you should choose that car. In other words look deeper than the OEM tires to see which car truely handles better, rather than relying on magazines or other's test of the cars that may or may not truely exemplify the cars handling characteristics.

On the CR thing, their writeups are 99% directed toward safety, reliability and rarely if ever speak to the fun, handling or other factors. Not to mention I've seen them rate 2 cars that are clones very differently, which makes no sense whatsover!

-mike
  • hausshauss Member Posts: 169
    Mike, when you go to the dealer to test drive a new car you've little choice to the tires on it unless the manufacturer offers the vehicle that way. In nearly every case you'll be driving a 100% stock car. No dealer is going to put on a special set of tires for you test the vehicle. By your own logic if the car has lousy tires on it stock then it'll never be the better handling vehicle during a test drive. So, stating that buyers should take into account those things when making a purchase is not realistic. Most drivers cannot tell that the tires are what is making the handling suffer and most drivers are not just going to throw away stock tires for high performance ones the day they pick up their car. Most people drive their car stock so there is some validity to the auto publication tests. All those drivers are going to know is that one car handled better than the other regardless of the tires on it.

Also, let me ask you this? Does your own company, Edmunds.com, consider all those factors you mentioned when doing slalom and skidpad tests on new cars and making judgments on them? My guess is that they are no different than all the other auto publications out there.
    Very valid points. But look a few posts above, where I point out if you are spending $40k on a car you should try to get a good weekend test drive or get in touch with people who already own the car and may have aftermarket tires on it. A 10 minute test drive in a car from a dealer is in no way way to make a $40k purchase, in my opinion anyway.

And yes, Edmunds probably tests a stock version like the others, not saying they are any better or worse, of course I'm not in the test drive department or I'd spend about $500 for new tires every time I tested a car, then sell em for like $300 afterward :)

-mike
    Motorsports and Tuning Host
    Also if you are the type of person driving a stock car on bad OEM tires, then you probably aren't the type that would be pushing it anywhere near the limits where the true hard-core handling will effect your driving experience. In other words if you don't know the tires are bad OEM ones comparing handling between cars in the same class (Acura TL v. G35) is not going to make a difference because they are both well beyond where you'll push the car.

-mike
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Just to keep the record straight, hosts don't have anything to do with what the Edmunds editors test or write. We are an entirely separate entity. ;)
    Oh yeah forgot to mention that, yeah the carspace folks aren't involved in the main edmunds stuff. :)

-mike
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    That sounds like it suxs... So you guys/gals technically fit under "Internet security"... Do you guys get to see anything that goes on? Long term car testing?

-Cj
    Nada, zippo, zero. Same as everyone else on carspace :( just like you guys.

-mike
    Motorsports and Tuning Host
    :surprise: :( :sick:

-Cj
  • boe_dboe_d Member Posts: 66
    Things I'd like on the 2009 TL

Type S for people who insist it is a sports car and they need the speed - not sure where they are driving that they can use the speed. Is Bueford T Justice chasing you over broken bridges - or is that one of your fantasies that you still think could happen? Frankly I think the ferrari is a sports car, the lamborghini is a sports car, even the corvette could be considered a sports car. The TL is a stylish sedan with plenty of pep. I do believe there are enough people that really want the power that the Type S is a good thing and Acura should keep even though I don't understand it, doesn't mean it won't sell.

Standard for those who think of it as a good semi luxury sedan with zip and a bit of sportyness and a good bang for the buck.

Type H - for those who want a bit of luxury but also do care a bit about the environment (the batteries are recyclable so don't waste your breath), are concerned about any involvement in the middle east, and perhaps don't enjoy going to the gas pump as often. I don't think hybrid for more power is a good idea - that if that is the goal that should be the Type S and the Type H gets nearly the same HP as the standard but with better gas mileage. I'm not getting into the money for hybrid - frankly the reports keep changing and I don't think most people do hybrids for the money. That being said, I'm sure someone will feel compelled to post some report about hybrids either costing you more, how many miles you'd have to drive or an old report on battery life or what to do with them). I don't believe there are any existing reports on the hybrids using the newer lithium polymer batteries but I could be mistaken.

Other things I'd like - a truly cooled cup holder for soda.

BT 2.0 for the GPS and a good way to dump contacts into it from WM - not just one at a time.

Improved voice activation and recognition for all things GPS.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Anyone seen this yet on AutoSpies?

I know that nothing is official until it's official, but it's still fun to read new rumors!

*300+ HP across the line (to include the TSX)
    *a TSX coupe
    *due to the fact that acura has stretched the 3.2L V6 to the limit, a larger engine for the TL but with i-VTEC (he said that Acura will not let the fuel economy drop to the mid - low teens)
    *AWD across the line. (What? no RWD) With the HP #'s they have to be able to better direct that power to the ground and be safe about it at the same time
    *V8 (no larger than 4.2L) for the RL
    *And most importantly...A NEW FLAGSHIP SEDAN!!! The name LEGEND, among others was being strongly considered for that new car based on the name's popularity and its recognition in the marketplace.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    interesting stuff, and actually sounds like what will really happen.

The legend nameplate is interesting; granted that this is what the rl is called in other markets.
  • shanester322shanester322 Member Posts: 1
    As a manager for an Acura dealer, I can confirm that ScottM123 is about right on! All the details are not yet confirmed as I think Acura has not completely decided on the complete lineup as of yet.

Here's what I do know: ALL 09' Acura's will have SH-AWD. There will be a TSX type-S with the 2.3L Turbo from the RDX. The TL will get the current 3.5L (from the Type-S) with standard SH-AWD as I said. The new TL-S will get the 3.7L potentially with variable intake and exhaust and should push 320-330hp and limited slip.

It sounds like initially there will not be a six speed manual for this car as their current driveline is already pushed to its limit in the Type-S. The current S's 6-speed has a restrictor in the hydrolic clutch to make the clutch slip with hard shifting to protect the transmission from breaking teeth in the gears. An AWD car with even more horsepower would require an exceptionally beefy driveline for those of us who would abuse the car chasing down S6's & M3's. Very cost prohibitive. Who knows, we may be surprised.

Acura will be offering a small V-8 for both the new larger RL and the MDX.

The Rumor as to a Flagship car (Legend) over the RL is still a rumor. No confirmation has made it my way yet. The dealers are certainly pushing hard for this.

Coupes? It has actually been hinted that there may be a TL (off the new Accord Coupe) and possible a retractable hardtop RL coupe which a prototype has been spotted in Japan with a Honda logo on it.(Type-S with V-8).

And of course the all new NSX...($125k-$130k) Ah, it is an exciting time to be selling Acura's. 2009 will be their best product line EVER! I look forward to many excited customers rushing in to see and drive these great new cars!
    wow, cool! so still no rwd huh? I still prefer awd to it, (as long as some power is under there), but it would be nice to offer something rwd other than the nsx, if that doesn't get bestowed with sh-awd either.

I guess acura is treating rwd the same way honda treats engine power from anything other than a high redline or displacement. :blush:
  • boe_dboe_d Member Posts: 66
    While I do appreciate Acura's I would really like to see them make more fuel efficient vehicles - I think the TYPE S is the answer for people who feel the need for speed why not have a TYPE H for people who would like something a tad more reasonable for environmental reasons - yes I understand hybrids will cost more, and FYI the batteries ARE recyclable and DO last for at least 100K now, and yes, I realize I will have to drive my car 5 million miles to get my money back - not sure why even if I state those things someone will post a challenge. There ARE people who think that our gas dependency is bad, that if we don't try to improve it, we are hurting future generations as well as our own generation and would be willing to pay the $2K more to try and help that situation even though we still want a luxury vehicle vs. taking public transportation.
    i don't think that luxury and economy go hand in hand despite what people may think. Yeah lexus has its hybrids; but they are still big motor cars that are not as fuel efficient as some other fairly economical vehicles, or non luxury hybrids.

I just dont think its acura's job to worry about a hybrid right now, they are just coming to terms with no more fwd. (finally.)

Honda has some nice offerings that are def more upscale, but just like you expect a lot of gadgets/technology and performance at an acura's price point, the mpg saved would have to be significant as well. I would love all cars to be utlra fuel efficient, but until we decide to make going fast not our number one priority, it will never happen. plus, to go quickl in a hybrid wouldn't be cheap.
  • dap2006dap2006 Member Posts: 68
    I'm glad Acura is stepping things up a bit with SH-AWD and more power - do you know of any technology enhancements that might be included? That is always an area Acura likes to take the lead on.

All that being said, as the owner of an '06 with Nav, is Acura working to eliminate all the rattles? I must say that even with so much going for it I will look hard at a Lexus when I trade in my car in '09. I bought a Honda Fit for my work commute and it's as solid as a rock - never a rattle. I refuse to keep going through the hassle of taking my TL back to the dealer for rattles, but they wear on my nerves. It's the small things that really make a difference - I hope Acura is taking this problem seriously because most of us experience this problem and it definitely detracts from the luxury car feel. :sick:
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I bought a Honda Fit for my work commute and it's as solid as a rock - never a rattle.

Ya know... I never thought about it, but you're right.
    We just traded my wife's 00 Honda Accord for my G.
    That car, 7 years old with over 180,000 miles, never had one rattle or strange noise.
    I guess you never notice the lack of rattles.... just the ones that drive you nuts.
    IMO, it looks exactly the same! The headlights, the shape, the 90ºangle the rear window makes. It says TL.

I want to believe that its a freshening of the current TL because honda is holding off until they finish the specs of the RWD one. That metal bar hanging out at the end on the side, all that stuff under the rear of the car... The lexus GS meets infiniti m35 like shape... IMO RWD.

Heres a link to the spy shots. Make sure you look to the right side of the page for the additional pictures.

-Cj
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    Three things kept me from buying a TL: 1) torque steer; 2) outdated transmission; 3) Ugly butt end. Rumors are the 09 might address #1 with AWD, but #'s 2 & 3 will still be a problem.
    Haven't seen that much plastic draped over anything since a major hailstorm came through town about a year and a half ago.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    1) There is virtually NO torque steer in the TL.
    2) Transmission is silky smooth. Did you want to feel and count every shift?
    3) One of the best styled cars on the road today. And arguably the most "complete" and attractive designs from Honda/Acura besides the early 90s Legend and the NSX (for its day).
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    My '05 (AT)had no torque steer w/ the summer tires. However, put some winter tires on 'er and watch out! It would pull me into the other lane.
    My 06 has all-seasons and there is no torque steer to complain about. One of the cars, I can actually accelerate while cornering (and I do).
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Honda is working on a 6AT for acura. Finally people who are begging for a 6AT are going to get it. Next TL should get over 300 HP. SH-AWD might be optional or standard. Not sure if it will be standard but Acura will offer it.

6AT = 6 Speed auto transmission.
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    Well with Honda's horrible reputation for 6 cylinder autmatics, I will wait a year or 2 before I beta test that one for them.
    1) If the TL had no torque steer, why does the Acura web site claim they have solved the torque steer problem for 2008? Maybe there won't be torque steer for 2008 and beyond, but that remains to be seen (felt).
    2) Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Lexus, Lincoln, Mercedes, and even VW all offer 6, 7, or even 8 speed automatics. My 2004 Maxima had a silky smooth 5 speed. I expect a little more in the transmission of a luxury car.
    3) The design of the TL will not be complete and attractive until they clean up that rear end like they did for the RL.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    The manual TL, particularly the manual TL-S, does have some torque steer, but the automatic TL has no discernible torque steer to speak of. You should know about torque steer since you own a Maxima. I know because I owned one and sold it and bought a TL instead. Personally, I think the TL's overall style is very attractive, much more so than the Maxima.
  • alexriedelalexriedel Member Posts: 3
    Just traded my 2005 TL (automatic) for a new Lexus IS350.
    Main reason? Torque steer. Drove me nuts.
    Summer tires, all weather, no difference.

Every front wheel drive has torque steer. The only question is how much. With as much power as the TL has, it was too much for me.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Nothing too unusual- it's a spyshot. What did you expect?
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Remains to be seen whether or not they will at least put a 6sp auto tranny in the 4GTL. Hopefully, they will offer a 6MT as well, otherwise I'll be looking elsewhere for a replacement for my 05. Personally, the TL is the best looking car in the segment. Obviously, this is very subjective.
    I think most people expect 6 (or more) speeds in their automatic without actually understanding the point. As it is now, the 5AT in TL has virtually seamless shifting, short low gear to get off the line well, and tall enough to deliver 32 mpg at 72-73 mpg. I don’t see a point to putting 6AT for namesake. With FWD configuration, there is little to no “real” advantage. With SH-AWD, it becomes a must have.

Recently, I compared one of Acura’s 5AT, Honda’s 5AT (in the new Accord) and Lexus/Toyota front-drive 6AT, and arrived at a conclusion that the Acura 5AT would have been the best transmission choice for the new Accord, better than the 6AT in Lexus ES350. Why? Because the way ratios are set up, also considering the needs of a powerful front driver, and the need to accelerate once rolling (mild acceleration from top gear and aggressive acceleration from top gear).

As for torque steer, there is virtually none in my 2006. It is an easy car to accelerate while cornering. Even TL-S 6MT is said to not exhibit torque steer (it has an engine/transmission combination that delivers a lot of thrust and 90% of it at just 2000 rpm).

I do expect next TL to have 6AT however. But I think TSX would benefit more from it than TL would unless SH-AWD were a part of the picture, in which case the low gears will have to be geared shorter (a weakness in RL) and have room for a tall top gear.

I wonder why Infiniti has stuck with 5AT (and Lexus on its RX350).
    Why would Acura claim to have corrected a problem that doesn't exist?

(I used to own a 2004 Maxima)
    It was a joke. Lighten up.
    I tried the IS350 & the GS350. Very nice cars, but my head touches the sunroof on both of them. I guess I will try the 08 CTS next.
  • alexriedelalexriedel Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, the TL was roomier, that is true. In a Lexus you don't wanna be taller than 6'1", unless you have long arms :-)
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    I think the mention of torque steer is a carryover (i.e. continuation) from the 05/06 announcement, which stated the torque steer in the 04 manual TL (first year of 3rd gen TL) had been corrected or reduced. So, its continued existence in the 08 TL advertisement does not mean there was torque steer in the 05-07 versions.

How would you compare the torque steer in the 04 Max with that in the TL? What year TL (manual or auto) did you test drive? What car do you own now, if any?
    I gauge torque steer by how the car behaves when I have about 4 seconds to get by a semi on a two lane road before becoming road kill on the grill of the oncoming semi. The Maxima scared the s**t out of me. It was so bad I wondered if I would end up in the ditch or under the wheels of the semi I was passing.

I tested the 06 Acura. I put a down payment on an MB C350, but when they failed to deliver, I went out and bought an 06 Passat 3.6L. It had the least torque steer of any FWD with 250 or more HP.
  • denouve2denouve2 Member Posts: 9
    I completely agree with you regarding 5AT vs. 6AT. The 5AT is great for Honda and Acura's FWD layout, but I can see its disadvantages when SH-AWD is applied. I think the 5AT will continue to serve the basic Honda and Acuras well. Too many people are just obsessed with larger trannys with more gears.

As for torque steer... I drive an '03 CL-S 6-speed, and given a smooth stretch of pavement, I have never noticed or felt any hint of torque steer.

Good observations robertsmx
    Apparently you and I are the only 2 writers on this thread that even know what torque steer is. I was beginning to think I imagined it when I took my test drive, so I "googled" "Acura TL torque steer", and found that virtually every professional driver who tested the car for years 05, 06, & 07 agrees it has torque steer.

No sense engaging in further discussion with folks who don't have a clue.
    No sense engaging in further discussion with folks who don't have a clue.

You're right... when googling ends up being a way to dig up a torque steer issue. :)