Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    Interesting about how they cut production on the 2009 RL. My local dealer sold out of the first batch of 2009 RLs - wondered when the next batch would arrive.

Honda/Acura's business model is very interesting in that they have introduced three new models (TSX, TL, an RL) all in the span of several months. Feast or famine in the sedan world at Acura. Of course, the RL is more of an "updated" model than the TL which really is a totally new model.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    It seems to me that a fully optioned '09 (all new) Mazda 6 V6 will not only compete well with its Accord counterpart, but could serve as an alternative to the '09 FWD TL too. Okay, it may not have the brand cache', but for those who assign a higher value to function than status, and prefer the styling of the Mazda over the TL, the Mazda may be a better choice. That's especially true after factoring in price.
  • mrsatisfactionmrsatisfaction Member Posts: 14
    We really need to start doing some drug testing around here.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Why? :confuse: IMO, the Mazda6 looks better, hands down. I haven't seen the interior, but judging from past Mazdas, I would concede the TL likely has a better interior. But I think the 2 models can be cross-shopped. Acura doesn't really have much brand cache anyway. For the record, I think Honda/Acura has got its sights set on Toyota/Lexus for offering the most boring lineup amongst imports. I've been a life-long Honda fan, but I'm been really disappointed with the snoozer lineup of new models.
  • ezracerezracer Member Posts: 24
    Previously, the 3rd. gen. TL outsold the Maxima. I believe the new Maxima will
    outsell the new TL AND it will cost less !!

With slumping SUV sales and the new " Aztec-ish " TL, I think Acura is going to have a big sales problem.
  • apasionapasion Member Posts: 3
    Absolutely they will have a sales decline, i know myself i will not be getting one. I have an eye on the Infinity or the Lexus so far.
  • mrtrace1mrtrace1 Member Posts: 21
    Though there's alot of drug testing needed around here the guy who mentioned the new Mazda 6 knows what he's talking about. I went straight from the Mazda dealership to the Acura dealership (what a difference that was, but more about the dealerships later in my post). The new Mazda 6 is not the tiny mid-size car of yesteryear. I've rented that small Mazda 626 back a few years ago and I will say that the leap this year is similar to the leap the Altima took back in 2001 as a 2002 model. It is now a grown and mature car, not to mention spacious and for $28,000 (the one in the showroom was this amount) it comes fully equipped and returns good gas mileage. I've never considered a Mazda 6 before but I admit its grown on me and is sweet. Now to get to the goods on the new TL. You will notice that they are showing up at dealerships and I test drove one today. Gorgeous car in person, arouses your soul (the Mazda 6 did not do this), very smooth rider and looks like a fully fledged luxury car. The grille is absolutely gorgeous (my fiance loved it) and I will say that you will find plenty of woman either looking at this car or driving it (not that that means anything). Now to the interesting part, I am a Maxima boy. I have an 02 and I frequently drive an 07 (my mother's car - no I am not a teenager, I am almost 30) and while I am a die-hard Maxi boy I have to give credit where credit is due. Because this TL has grown in size, provides adequate seating room I will be shopping the TL instead of 2009 Maxima this year which has decreased in size and doesn't have the good looks of the TL. What's interesting is that the medium packed Maxi I saw was 35,500 and this TL today was 35,500, so you do the math: a pretty new TL that is roomy and looks good or an okay new Maxima that is not roomy and looks decent. While I am a fan of fully-equipped cars I have not had a chance to see what the price will be on the fully optioned TL (not the SH-AWD model) but I do know the new Maxi is 38,500 and if the TL is within a slim difference of that it'sa no brainer which car to choose. TL wins all the way around.

Now to the dealerships, the Acura dealership was completely hassle free and while it had customers it did not appear to be crowded. and the sales consultants were very professional and not intrusive. From what I've been told Acura dealership experiences are first rate and it simply was. At the Mazda dealership I felt like I was back at Nissan, in an outdated showroom with plenty of folks swarming around me and looking at econoboxes and mid size cars. There were tons of sales consultants who you could see would love to feast on you.
  • mrsatisfactionmrsatisfaction Member Posts: 14
    Lexus vehicles are nice. The Infinity will not stand up to the TL in many aspects.

Lexus and Infiniti have seen a greater decline than Acura. Lexus has dropped the most, and I would personally prefer Lexus over Infiniti, if I had to choose, just from a quality standpoint as well .

Someone does need to drive those vehicles. That may happen to be you. As far as a decline... I smile and watch.
    No offence, but if you're a fan of the '02 - '07 Maxima, then if you say you like the styling of the new TL, then I would have to take that with a grain of salt. Nothing personal, but recent vintage Maximas have shown some of the most ambiguous, and confused styling jobs. On the contrary, I thought the new Max is a step back in the right direction, both in terms of its styling and size. It's not great, but it's better.
    Different tastes for different faces. While the 2007 Maxima might not be the prettiest car arond it does certainly represent Nissan doing something unique and not following the rest of the pack (my fiance has never liked 07). With the 2002 model I have to disagree and say it is still very much a beautiful car (its classic design has aged well, especially on the GLE trim) and many times has looked and still looks more expensive than it really is. Most would arguably say this was in fact the last nice Maxima. The 2009 Maxima though headed in the right direction does not inspire you because it does nothing different that the rest of the pack. It looks too Lexus ES350ish/Benzish towards the rear, too Magnumish in the front and boring in the rest of its design. On a whole it does not disappoint nor does it scream see me (not that that's a reason to buy a car). I will say that the TL is more maxima (a continuation of the 07's design) than the new 09 maxima is and it seems as if the TL was made (its added length) with the thought that the maxima was going to go bigger (bigger is always better right? well not really). That's why for me new TL is a no brainer. If anyone is in my area, Long Island, Island Acura (in Wantagh, NY right on 27 right off of Wantagh Pkwy) has an 09. Seems as if they are only one in the area to have one and many sales guys have not even seen it (makes me the first one I know of to test drive it my area). But boy oh boy, it looks a lot better in person and it screams take me home. Get out there and see one a dealer close to you and I'm sure you'll agree its a beautiful car, and even if it's not you'll agree that its still a value for the price.
  • ocimocim Member Posts: 45
    You make it sound as if Acura is targeting cars like the Maxima with its TL. Maxima is more of a competitor of the Accord, and not a very good one at that. The TL is predominately targeted at the Lexus ES350, Infiniti G35, Mercedes C class, BMW 3 series and to an extent the 5 series.
    I do not think so. Your comparison of a Maxima to an Accord is bizarre as they are not even in the same class (have you ever priced a fully equipped Maxima vs a fully equipped Accord?). The Altima competes with the Accord toe to toe and many comparision tests will point this out. The Maxima is an entry-level luxury sedan and for the most part has always been (no matter what your opinion may be). Edmunds will clarify this with any review on this site that you can find and in fact the Maxima is probably the TL's chief competitor. You are comparing rear wheel drive cars (5 series, 3 series and the g-35) to the front wheel drive TL (we're not talking about the SHAWD model) and while I like the TL and think its a fine car its not up to the snuff of the germans nor infiniti.
    You're right about the 2002 Maxima....I got mixed up on the timing of the model change-over. The 2002 Max in SE form was fairly attractive.
    I agree that the Maxima's target market is not the Accord. The first Maxima (circa 1980?), along with the Toyota Cressida, were the first Japanese entry luxury sedans. The Max has always aimed for Acura, although I think it's slipped a notch in recent years. It's still more upscale than the Accord/Camry, but I'm not sure it's hitting the Acuras. However, I'm not a big fan of Infiniti, so I wouldn't lump them in with the Germans.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    A majority of buyers wouldnt cross shop the Maxima and the TL, here are my groupings-
    Accord
    Camry
    Maxima
    Altima (3.5)
    Passat

TL
    3 Series
    C-Series
    G35
    CTS
    I think you'd find a sizable segment who would cross-shop the TL and the Max, just as you would with the Max and the Accord. Truth be told, so many of these cars have some overlap. You can also throw the IS series and the TSX into (probably) both groups.
  • prazpraz Member Posts: 163
    My 2 cents...
    I think people who want a compact car (Corolla, Civic, Sentra, Versa, etc) might cross shop the mid size family cars (Accord, Camry, Altima, etc) but people who are looking for mid size family cars will not cross shop the mid size sporty cars(Maxima, Passat, Mazda 6, etc). But, people who are looking for mid size sporty cars might cross shop with sporty premium cars such as TSX, IS, TL, 3 series, C-class, G35, CTS, etc.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    UA8629JW TL $34,955.00
    UA8659KW TL Tech $38,685.00
    UA9629JW TL SH-AWD $38,505.00
    UA9659KW TL SH-AWD Tech $42,235.00
    UA9659KXW TL SH-AWD Tech HPT $43,235.00

Destination is $760. This is very official. HPT's are the 19" high performance summer tires. Tech package is very expensive but comes with some cool features. More than just the nav. If you want the ELS audio then get the tech package. Hope this helps.
    "...but comes with some cool features."

Such as?
    I totally disagree. If Nissan's intention was to target the TL with the Maxima than they have failed. Even Consumer reports has not rated Maxima well over the last decade, placing it well below the Accord. Heck, even the Altima has been rated above the Maxima. Regardless what the Maxima costs, it is somewhat misplaced (like a lost child). Its price tag may suggest upscale, but its styling and interior feel suggests middle of the road mainstream. Infiniti, on the other hand, is much more stylish, which is Nissan's luxury division that competes with luxury brands such as Honda's Acura division and others. Reliability records show, however, that Honda/Acura builds considerable better quality automobiles than Infiniti.
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    Speaking of "cool"...are cooled (air conditioned) seats included with any of the TL trim lines like they are in the RL??
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    No AC seats on the TL. They could have put them in but maybe they couldn't meet their price points. The tech package also includes nicer leather.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    According to the review of the new maxima, they suggested people go for the Altima, rather than spend the extra money on the new model. It is a middle of the road looking car, it does not scream anything special, and this is being said also by a few reviews. Now, I don't even feel the Altima is anything special either, I feel its a cheaper looking family sedan, that has blown up like a blimp. It looks like a slug.
    I think Nissan and Honda are on two different pages, Nissan is slowly finding that page closer to success, but not close enough.

If Nissan's goal was to target Honda/Acura, then yes they failed. This sounds harsh, but reviews are also reflecting a similar opinion.

For instance the new TL looks very unique and questionable to some, but it certainly looks more upscale than most cars. It looks classy. The interior looks like the put a lot of thought into it, upscale fit/finish. I applaud them for step outside the box to create a design that looks very futuristic, rather than sticking with an old "normal" looking design. It will be hard though to beat the nice design of the previous TL though.
    I think the current TL looks like the regular joes (Accord, Camry, Altima etc etc) thats why I skipped this generation-not to the mention the FWD.
  • charles12charles12 Member Posts: 79
    Definitely not to buy TL due to the low/very poor assembly quaility. I have Lexus and know its quality is much better than acura. I test drive the infiniti G35, its handling and feeling as well as interior qaulity are much better than TL, although I do not know if G35 has rattle problem or not.

GO for Lexus and/or Infinite not Acura!
    I think the previous generation TL looks like Accord, Camry, etc. Certainly not the '04 -'08 TL.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    charles12,

So do you have a Lexus or '08 TL (as you state on the TL gas thread) or both?

Or are you an Acura hater and just like to come here to vent? :confuse:
    To me it does look like the regular Joe-especially the 04-06. I remember when I first saw it a the NYC Auto Show and I said to myself- It looks like a 98 Accord on steroids.

PS- to all the current owners, this is not a flaw against the car, its just my opinion.
    to start a pissing match with anyone over the TL when in fact I am currently a proud Maxima driver. With that being said I totally understand one's pride of the vehicle they own; however, at one point you've got to call an ace an ace and a spade a spade, and both vehicle are entry level luxury sedans (last time I checked Acura is not a luxury brand but rather a premium/entry level luxury brand - say all you want but even Acura executives have said they are not Tier 1 -- to take this argument even further Infiniti and Lexus even have more luxurious lineups so if anyone has lost its way its Honda/Acura). Questionably, there are some reviews out there that hint that the Maxima has lost its way and that the Altima is a better buy; however, at the same time there are reviews out there that have rated the 2007-2008 Maxima (more on the 2009 later) as excellent and reliable (is any car really unreliable these days). For the person who said the current TL looks like an Accord I agree 110% percent as they primarly the same vehicle. Another scenario I shall point out is that badge is not everything as Toyota's own Avalon is more Lexus than Lexus's ES350. Stop being a badge whore and call an ace an ace and a spade a spade.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Your opinion is no less correct than mine. I find the '04+ TL to be (still) one of the best looking sedans on the road. To me, no Accord has ever has as much style. GM must like the TL style too as the new, handsome Malibu does seem, to me, to be a nice copy...!

As a benchmark, what cars do strike your fancy, stylewise? I lust after the Maserati GranTurismo, Quattroporte and Jag XK, for example. The new TL? I hope it looks A LOT better in the flesh. But I can't imagine the can opener/shield/beak of Acura looking much better in real life...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

The grill is on the new TSX and RL and it looks real nice-to me.
    LD wrote: But I can't imagine the can opener/shield/beak of Acura looking much better in real life...

You know people said the same thing about the 2nd generation MDX but I'll tell ya it's grown on me. No doubt what it is as it's coming towards you. That being said, initially I'm thinking the new mug on the TL is a face only a mother could love. :P
    The current TL looks like a 98 Accord??! The 98 Accord was one of the blandest looking sedan. The current TL looks nothing like it!
    Well then, put your money where your mouth is. You said you skipped the current TL but really likes the new one. You've got 3 to choose from ... TL, TSX, RL ...all with the same grill. Buy one of them!
    The MDX is different. It's a double shield, not the single-blade, bugs bunny look. And the MDX is a truck, on which the butchy shield looks much more appropriate.
    Based on your post the only thing that is obvious, is that you were trying to start a pissing match. Keep on talking, maybe you will finally convince yourself that the Maxima is in the same league as the TL.
    Bugs Bunny look! Good one! Sorry, don't like the Shield of Acura on any of 'em. TSX looks least offensive to me.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

"TSX looks least offensive..."

Agreed. But I have to admit the the MDX does have a mean masculine looking front end as befitting a truck. But of course I still wouldn't buy it since it is an over-sized pig.
    I will- my short list is the RL, TL SH-AWD and the GS350, I will probably pull the trigger around Easter-personally dont want to buy in the winter.
    Maybe I got the years mixed up but it looks like one of the older Accords blown up.
  • perez5249perez5249 Member Posts: 4
    Hey, we're all entitled to our opinions. What do you drive?
    "...looks like one of the older Accords blown up."

I still can't see which one. For one thing, the current TL is smaller than any Accord post-1997.
    Well, the MDX does not have the Bucky Beaver look, to me, as much as do the sedans. Still odd-looking, but not as garish.

I like the new TSX, style-wise (still, not The Shield). I think it works better in person than in pix. I'm hoping the TL will be the same. Two months 'till the Auto Show where all will be revealed to me (unless I just hit a dealer). But, I'm not in the market, thanks in part to a different market... :cry: :sick:

Keep convincing yourself that the TL is a luxury car that's not in the same league with Maximas, Avalons, ES350s, Passats, Saabs and other premium FWD/entry-lux vehicles. Perhaps you're now seeing a correlation between the cars just mentioned, their all front wheel drive, $30k-$35k cars, some with premium badges some without. Have you noticed that Infiniti's G35, BMW's 3 series and Mercedes C-class are more nimble RWD vehicles that in order to be had at the TL's price point are basically stripped down? Instead of being a badge whore call an ace an ace and a spade a spade. Even Acura has acknowledged that they are not Tier 1 level and have some work to do so before they are even considered to be. Since we're talking aces and spades, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the TL on the Accord's chasis (I know the Acura has more luxury packed features, a bigger engine and more features -- but it's heritage is an Accord, period)? So how in the heck does that translate into a G-35/3 series/C-class competitor? Simple it doesn't. You can dispute it all you want, but opinions are simply that. Facts are facts - bring them.
    I dug up some old pictures- its the 1994 Accord.
    94?! C'mon, not even close! The 94 Accord resembled a blown up Civic, if I recall. In fact, the 94 - 97 Accord was, at that time, the low point in Accord styling (matched or surpassed since by the 2002 Accord on the ugly scale). The current TL is arguably Honda's best-looking sedan...ever....better than anything Honda has done before, and, judging from the latest TL, since. You can buy all the Lexus GS, 2009 TL, TSX you want, but you won't get a better-looking sedan. You want a good-looking sedan other than the TL? Buy the Hyundai Genesis, which will also blow the doors off the TL and Lexus.
    Say all you want, to me, the current TL is a blown up version of the 94 Accord.
    Take a look at the Accord from the rear, its the splitting image of the current TL.
    Also, I still think my 03 Type S is a better looking car than YOUR TL.
    "I still think my 03 Type S is a better looking car than YOUR TL.'

Well, the defence rests, because that statement seals your fate! We all know that's not true! If anything, your TL (that generation) resembles a blown up version of the 98 - 02 Accord. It was pleasant-looking enough in its time, but the intro of the 04 TL rendered it instantly stodgy and obsolete, style-wise at least.
    That's OK Billy, you're entitled to your own opinion.
    I owned an '03 TLS and an '05 TL and thought the opposite.
    We're still friends, right? :P
    "I....thought the opposite."

You, and half the population of the US and Canada! :P