Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Edge Sunroof Questions

gageorgegageorge Member Posts: 2
I'm having a blast in my new SEL-plus AWD. I was seduced by the vista sunroof, but am finding its motor to be quite slow. Sunroof glass really rattles in open position when going over minimal bumps. Anybody?
Tagged:

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I do notice that the motor runs slow unless the engine is running.

Never had one rattle on a test drive. You should go back to the dealer and make sure nothing is loose.
  • gageorgegageorge Member Posts: 2
    thanks.You're right. vista roof does better with the engine running. I'll check out the rattle thing;dealer is quite a trek.

George
  • staci01staci01 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem regarding the rattle in my 2007 ford edge. It is the clips in the sunroof. I have had my car in twice to the dealer (we bought the car 6 weeks ago) and I have another appointment today for the same problem. They have already replaced the clips twice (broken) but as soon as you open the roof and then close it, the clips break. Our service advisor said it is a design defect.
    I got online today to search and see if any others are having the same problem. I have found a few people in other discussions.
  • riobauer23riobauer23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Ford Edge and the sunroof cover is sticking. It will not open sometimes, and when it opens it slams open. This is most common when it is hot out. There is a neoprene filler that is expanding. There was a technical service bulletin issued for 2007 Edge's that were made before 8/1/2007. I am in the process of getting this fixed from the dealer I bought it from. They had to order parts. Then they will have to remove the ditch moldings, replace the tracks, and take out the headliner. It is a major deal and I am pretty upset about this.

Those of you that had the issues with your sunroof may want to have your dealer look at this bulletin.
  • kline51kline51 Member Posts: 2
    08 FORGE EDGE VISTA ROOF WAS BROKEN,JUST THE FIRST GLASS.IT BEEN IN THE SHOP FOR 6 WEEKS DOES IT REALLY TAKE THAT LONGE TO GET THE PARTS.PLEASE DO ANYBODY KNOW
  • nabornabor Member Posts: 6
    Interested in purchasing an Edge with the Vista sunroof, but wondering how the summer temperatures in Oklahoma will heat up the interior of the vehicle. It doesn't seem like the sunroof cover would provide much insulation from the heat. Has anyone had any problems with cooling the vehicle in the summer?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Can't be any worse than Atlanta, and it wasn't a problem last year. The glass is tinted and I don't find it to be any worse in the heat than any other vehicle.
  • aja909aja909 Member Posts: 1
    Driving down a california freeway, good weather, no overpasses, no close traffic and the vista roof shattered. The corners and all around the edges broke.
    Ford denied any liability. Had the care about 2 months. Repair estimate is up to $4200 due to the amount of damage to the paint. The roof glass as well as the side panels need to be replaced.
  • harrison310harrison310 Member Posts: 1
    I've seen reports on the Internet about Vista roofs shattered/exploding. How common a problem is this? I was very tempted to buy an Edge with a Vista roof but seeing these reports have backed me off. :confuse:
    All vehicles has problems with shattered glass - windows, back glass, sunroofs. It's not always a manufacturing defect. I haven't heard of this being a common problem.
  • hlabibhlabib Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem after 4 month of having the same car, the sun roof shattered with no sign of rod hazard as ford clamed, they didnt fix it and this will cost me 2000$ +
  • mcgriff47mcgriff47 Member Posts: 1
    After a year and a half of owning a 2010 Edge, my daughter and I were driving down the highway, traveling at approximately 63 miles per hour. We both heard a loud noise as if a balloon had popped on the ceiling, only to find that the front portion of our sunroof had shattered --- away from all 4 corners of the roof.
    We had not met any vehicles coming from the other direction and no one had passed us.
    Anderson-Ford Lincoln Mercury in Grand Island, NE, did NOTHING to help us with this -- "Corporate Ford" said there was nothing they could do as it was considered a "window" issue.

We have since traded it off and bought a brand new Dodge. I will never buy another Ford as long as I live with the poor customer service we received.
    Like I told you on the other forum - a glass failure after a year and a half is almost certainly caused by some impact at some point. That's why you have insurance. You'd get the same answer from any other mfr.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    With tempered glass it takes little more than a small nick on any edge to result in hundreds of small pieces of glass. Did the "failures" produce this result?

If so, the likely cause is a nick that occurred on an edge when glass panel was open. Something as innocent as a very small pebble in the track could cause such a nick.