Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs

Comments

• lovegmc1lovegmc1 Member Posts: 37
    Honestly, I have talked to many people with acadias of all years and only talked to two out of about fifty people with complaints. (one was an 07 and one was a 10)Many of these people I've talked to have 10's.This is a forum about problems and repairs, so obviously people who write here mostly have complaints. About the 10's at your dealership with you, I honestly believe you are either making it up or this is some major unfortunate coincidence. You may know a few people with bad ones, but I know more people with good ones, including myself. If you would like to believe that the Acadia is a "piece of crap" then look at the reliability ratings from consumer reports, they improve in 10 and even more in 11. If every person with an Acadia was doomed to have a lemon, this would NOT be the case. And yes I will follow up when I get to 40,000, but if the acadia was so bad then more people wouldn't have them, and gmc wouldn't still be making them. I hope whatever issues you, your family, and the people at the service dept. have had have been resolved.
    Possibly you have a bad a/c system. I am truly sorry to read this issue. It mist be extremely frustrating! Hopefully when they solve the issue you won't be back in service for awhile!
    Best of luck-lovegmc1
  • brooklyngirl1brooklyngirl1 Member Posts: 14
    Are you really serious?? Haha, I wish that I was making this up but I am not. I could say that you are making things up about having this wonderful Acadia but who am I to say that. If you say you have this wonderful vehicle who am I to dispute that. That is wonderful for you. I have spoken to people that Love their Acadia and have had no problem. I have spoken to more with problems. I guess they are making up problems as well. Why would I get on a forum and lie I have no reason to do that.

Like I said before Acadia's are garbage. At least with the experience that I have had with them. That is why I don't have the 08 or the 10. Like I said before enjoy your 12:) #Themakeupqueen The Acadia's have major issues!!!!!
    edited August 2012
    I wasn't saying you are making up things i was simply surprised to see so many complaints. I also said it could be a coincidence, not a big deal, but don't say that acadias are garbage or crap only because you have had issues with yours. They sell a lot of acadias, so even if 1% of people have problems with them there are still a great number of people. Honestly, I have talked to at LEAST fifty people and two of those had issues. Once, a gentleman asked us about ours and he had also spoken to a bunch of very happy, problem free acadia owners That is real life statistics and one of the reasons we bought it. This is a forum, so most people on here are going to have issues, but in all reality, the Acadia is not some lemon car with tons of issues. If it was, nobody would buy them, and the do sell
    very well! The old acadias had major issues, but after 2008 they really worked on fixing these issues(and made progress[if you don't believe me, try true delta or consumer reports]). Just because a few people had issues doesn't mean everybody does. I, so far, have had better luck with the thing than in my MDX.
  • yesmamyesmam Member Posts: 1
    Please file a complaint with safercar.gov
    Go to “vehicle owners” then it will guide you through filing a complaint-that’s how recalls get started,.
    I have filed a complaint about the stabiltrak issue and only 5 other Acadia owners have done so, yet this thread about problems with stabilitrak and brake warning lights and messages coming on has more than 50 comments while surfing web. THANKS!
  • motherof3girlsmotherof3girls Member Posts: 4
    I have three beautiful children that I have to take to daycare, school, games, doctor appointments, etc and thought this was a nice looking very helpful and dependable vehicle that our family could use to do the job. Oh boy. I have owned this 10 since February of 2011. I have taken this hunk of junk to the dealership more than 5 times. The oxygen sensors went out-I had them replaced. The rack and pinion had to be replaced. The lift gate shocks had to be replaced. The water pump had to be replaced and as of today the power steering pump. Not to mention the $900 set of cooper tires that we had put on because the Goodyear brand roared like mud tires. Lo and behold there are only two sets to choose from. The Cooper's roar too. Even though some of this was covered by warranty we have honestly spent more money to FIX this vehicle than the yearly payment! There is a HORRID smell of wet dog/mold/mildew that comes out of the vents when you turn on the air/heat. It seriously makes you gag. This will be the last acadia or GMC product this mother will buy. This was an experience I will never forget.
    edited August 2012
    The 2010s didn't even have an in cabin air filter, which is the cause of the mildew smell. For the power steering, did you have the wrong fluid put in? Or did you turn the wheel all the way to the left or right? These might cause it to break over time. As for the water pump and the lift gate shocks, sounds like one of those freak unlucky things. Also, how many miles do you have on it?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    motherof3girls,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your experience with your vehicle. Can you please email me directly with your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I would like to look into your situation further. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • khankerkhanker Member Posts: 9
    I too have 3 small kids and bought it for similar reasons to you... functionality and most importantly safety. Unfortunately, I too had a horrible experience the entire time we owned it. We had so many problems, I cannot name them all but I felt I lived in the dealership and in rental cars for the 2 1/2 years we owned it (which was a big pain with car seats and kid stuff!) The most glaring (but by no means not the only problems we had) were the steering column had to be replaced twice, the transmission once and we had the sunroof leaked to the point that the entire front seats/floor was soaking wet after a rainstorm resulting in mildew and horrible smells. (which could explain your smell... you may have a small leak that might get worse when you are in a bad rain) After 2 1/2 years and enduring these issues, the worst of which was when the transmission went out in the middle of an intersection with my 3 kids in the car, we called GMC and after some negotiation got a small rebate to put towards another car. We were hesitant to stay with GMC but we loved our dealership and the lengths they went to to help us, so we traded it in for a Yukon and I couldn't be happier with it! A year and a half in we have had no problems, it runs great and is a much sturdier vehicle. It is big, but I've found that as the kids get bigger we need the space for friends and stuff. So my advice to you is get rid of the Acadia and cut your losses. It will probably only get much worse and the problems with the steering, transmission and leaks is rampant (just read through this forum). I really think GMC is blowing it by putting these Acadias out with so many problems, but I have to say that we have been very pleased with the Yukon so good luck with whatever you decide to do!
  • maxineandchrismaxineandchris Member Posts: 1
    Ok, so I am trying to follow the discussion about headlight problems but I am getting lost in all the other stuff. Has anyone been able to resolve these headlight issues without paying a fortune? I have had mine replaced multiple times and now it needs to be done again but they want a couple hundred dollars and I can't pay that. Since they know this is a problem, I think they should fix it and recall the part that causes the problem. Does anyone know how to get it covered by the dealer or manufacturer since I am over the warranty mileage by a few hundred miles?
  • lupe_r49lupe_r49 Member Posts: 7
    There was a headlight recall on some GMC Acadia models. I took my Acadia to have the headlights replaced and was charged. I returned to the dealer with the same problems a few months later and had them permenantly fixed through the recall. I was able to file a claim with GM and was reimburse for my out of pocket expense for the prior repair. My warranty was also expired and that did not matter since the final repair was covered by the recall. Your GM dealer should have the information in their system. I also recommend to follow up and file a claim to be reimburse. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
  • safety9285safety9285 Member Posts: 88
    I had a 2007. What was the recall about? Was it the headlights or day time running lights?
    I know that they had problems with the light sockets in the day time lights.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good evening,
    We're sorry to hear that you're having these difficulties with your headlights. If you would like for us to look into this further with you, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details, including: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.
    All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    safety9285,
    If you would like for us to check for open recalls on your particular vehicle, please email us the last 8 digits of your VIN and contact information at socialmedia@gm.com.
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Good afternoon khanker,
    We're so glad to hear that the Yukon has turned out to be such a great vehicle for you! Many more happy miles!
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • darciedsdarcieds Member Posts: 2
    We bought our 2009 GMC Acadia new, and have had nothing but trouble. I love the interior- it gets my 4 children around with comfort- but I hate that I have it at the dealership with such regularity! We've had the power train go out- which left me stranded with 4 young children one evening. The steering column went out- luckily I was near home and managed to get home safely. We've had the "check engine light" come on more times than I can count- multiple times for "cylinder misfiring". The tire pressure sensor had to be replaced, and still doesn't work properly (multiple repairs and trips to the dealer for that!). Has anyone had this much trouble with the Acadia? Does anyone know if any of these were just "bugs" that got worked out in later models? :sick:
    To me it sounds like the cylinder misfiring thing isn't true. Most of tht time when an Acadia has a check engine light come on it means the timing chains are stretched
    We're sorry that you've had these difficulties with your Acadia, darceids. Have you spoken with the Customer Assistance Center as of yet? If we can look into this further with you, please send more details to socialmedia@gm.com so we can get a Service Request started including: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.
  • stoogiestoogie Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am sorry if this has been covered already, but there is 1780 posts and cant go through each one to see if it was covered.

I just bought a 2012 Brand New Acadia Denali, every time I drive during the day I am being blinded by the Sun hitting the "chrome" around the three upper air vents, or the sun hitting the either side of the "chrome" around the shifter. Its piercing and intense light.

I have only had the car a week but have already almost been in two accidentst becasue of this problem.

I spoke the place where I bought the car and they told me "we havent had many people complain" which I know is either BS or they just havent sold many of them. They told me it would be around 500 to fix it, and I said "why should I have to pay for a defect that can cause me to get into a accident or kill someone"?

I tried talking to GMC live operatior on their website and they said talk to the dealer where I got the car.

Has anyone delt with this, did they have to pay? I know that for them to fix the air units they have to basically pull off the dash board if I want it to look nice.

Its total BS that GMC let this comeout.

Any help on this would be great, please!!!!!

• susancpasusancpa Member Posts: 7
    Your thread sounds so familiar that I could have written it. We got stuck 500 miles away from home at a soccer tournament for cylinder misfires. Two months after they fixed cylinders 2 and 6, cylinder numbers 3 and 5 started misfiring. They replaced the remainder. At one year, the bushings in the steering column went. We had multiple headlamp repairs and these things were designed so poorly that a headlamp going out requires a trip to the dealership since you have to go in through the wheelwell to replace it. We had trouble getting tires since they are such a strange size that no one stocks them. Got stuck again at another soccer tournament last month when the water pump went. After it was towed back to the dealership I asked them to check a squealing noise in the steering column and it turned out I needed a whole new power steering rack ($1,200). Never have I had a car with this many problems in the first 3 years. I asked GM to chip in for part of the repair and they refused so I traded it in on a Ford Edge. That's the last GM that will sit in my driveway after 28 years of GM ownership. :mad:
    Good morning stoogie,
    We're sorry you are dissatisfied with the chrome accents on the interior of your vehicle and have documented your feedback on this. When you contacted our Customer Assistance Center, were you issued a Service Request number (71-**********)?

• boilergirlboilergirl Member Posts: 2
    I bought my Acadia Denali (first American car ever) 3 weeks ago and I already have had problems. This Chrome has driven me crazy as well. I actually had to drive one handed one day while I used my hand to shield the glare off the vents. I am going in to the dealership tomorrow b/c my navigation isn't working right so I'll ask them what can be done. Great concept for a car but executed poorly. My moldings on the side also need repainted b/c apparently where the machine puts it on, my paint got chipped more than normal. Every car on the lot had this problem. Quality control at GM. Not impressed.
  • jason1977jason1977 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a brand new 2009 Acadia and was frustrated with the 10 recalls and repairs under the warranty period. Now that the warranty is up as my car has 55k miles the never ending repairs are unbearable. I will never buy a gm again. In the Last 2 years the car has been in over 10 times for things as major as a new timing belt and as minor as a new battery. The dealer calls all of the repairs normal. I upsided to an Acadia from a highlander for my growing family and had 0 repairs in 4 years with my highlander. I also own an Acura TSX and gues how many repairs in 40k miles...you guessed it 0. I was just on my way home and my power steering went out on a freeway exit ramp nearly sending me, my wife and 3 kids off the road. I would never advise that anyone even consider one of these. I will be looking for a new car starting tonight.
    Good morning boilergirl,

We hope that all goes well with your dealership today and that they're able to find a resolution for the problems that you're experiencing. Please keep us updated!

Good morning jason1977,

I'm sorry to read about the difficulties you've had with your Acadia. Had you ever pursued this with Customer Assistance before? If you would like for us to look into this further, please send the following information to us via email at socialmedia@gm.com so we can get a Service Request set up: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

• yikes1yikes1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm picking my 2007 acadia from the dealership today. I took it in because the stabilitrak warning light and brake warning lights keep coming on and the message tells me to service brake system. They said it was becasue I was low on brake fluid and are now charging me over $130 for diagnosing it and putting brake fuild in. I'm sure this won't fix the problem. I just had an oil change 7/15/12 and the brake fluid was checked and found to be fine.
    Good morning yikes1,

If we can follow up on this appointment with your dealership, please send us the following information at socialmedia@gm.com so we can set up a Service Request and contact them: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jones0333jones0333 Member Posts: 3
    I am sorry.. I should have posted my results and it might have helped you.. I finally stopped at the local advance auto parts store after my post and they did the diagnostic code and said it was brake fluid and it was very low. We put in car and came on one more time as he said it might before it cleared and then haven't had another issue.
  • goodbyeacadiagoodbyeacadia Member Posts: 1
    Purchased our 08 Acadia 2.5 years ago with 34k miles, it now has 65k and it may be past the powertrain warranty due to time. We've had the following replaced since we've owned it: radio, air bag sensor, sway bar, strut, headlight recall, steering mechanism, tire pressure sensor. Now the radio randomly stays on after I pull the key and exit the vehicle. Also, my wife said she was getting on the highway a couple days ago and normally pushed the gas pedal, the RPMs went way up while the car didn't respond with increased speed. Based on all the posts, it sounds like we might be losing our transmission. I'm not sure what is causing the radio issue. We have decided to keep it parked in the garage until we find a Honda Pilot to trade for. Hopefully the transmission will make it to the dealership. My wife is 9 months pregnant so I can't have her driving this pile of garbage any longer. We planned to keep the acadia for a long time as we don't believe in trading often but the time in the shop and the repair bills are unacceptable. Time to take our hit on the trade and move on.
    Good morning goodbyeacadia,

We're sorry to hear that you have not had a satisfactory experience with your Acadia. If you wanted for us to check into the parameters of your powertrain warranty, please email us the last 8 digits of your VIN to socialmedia@gm.com and we'd be happy to provide further information.

I have read many complaints on here, so much that i was so afraid that it would break when i first got it that i was constantly listening for noises and looking for leaks and possible problems! But still, here I am 10 months later, 22,000 miles into it and my acadia has still been flawless! Of course, with any automaker, there are going to be some unhappy people, but the average acadia owner(from asking people, looking at some owner reviews, and my own experiences) is pretty happy with their decision! Hope all with lemons get their issues resolved, and maybe give the acadia another chance.
  • cajundude1cajundude1 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    I am the second owner of a 2007 Acadia SLT. I bought it mainly because we wanted a vehicle with 3rd row seating and the Acadia seemed to fit what we were looking for perfectly. Recently the power steering started working intermittently. Sometimes it would work and other times it would just leave you heaving at the wheel to make a turn. Very dangerous seeing as this is my wife's primary vehicle. Then last week I walked into the garage early in the morning and the radio was playing with no key in the ignition. Weird right!!! Then last night the wife comes home during a really hard rain, pulls into the garage turns off the vehicle, pulls the keys out and it keeps running for nearly 10 to 15 seconds before coming to a rumbling stop. This morning I started it up and it seemed fine. 4 hours later it was dead in the water battery was completely dead as door nail. Jumped it off and it did the same thing where it wouldn't stop and the rumbling stop. I had it towed to a GM dealership in Charlotte, NC. After reading all of these postings I'm very nervous at how GM is going to handle this and how much this thing is going to cost me. :sick: Once I get it taken care of Audi here I come. Sorry GM this is just a few of the issues we have had with this vehicle, I'm out.
    Good morning lovegmc1,

We're glad to hear that you've had a great experience with your Acadia! :) Wishing you many more happy miles!

Good afternoon cajundude1,

We're sorry to hear that you've had these difficulties with your Acadia. If you would like for us to check into this further, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• acadiabluesacadiablues Member Posts: 1
    I to have a 2012 Acadia and I have been waiting for three months for the GM dealer to fix the problem. It is like a mirror shining in my eyes when I drive. Now, I have a small hand towel over the chrome at the top of the air vents on the dash and a small hand towel over the shiny chrome by the gear shift. Ridiculous and I am so mad at my local GM dealer I am ready to trade this thing in somewhere else. It is a danger to drive around when the sun is out.
    Good morning acadiablues,

We're sorry that you are not satisfied with your Acadia and see that you've been working with your dealership for a solution. If you would like for us to open a Service Request and check into this with them, please email the following in formation to socialmedia@gm.com: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

• danelson18danelson18 Member Posts: 2
    Is there anyone I can speak to/contact to discuss what I have been going through with my 2009 GMC Acadia? To nutshell the situation, I took my Acadia to the GMC dealer I purchased the car from last summer. The reason I brought it up, on my way to pick my family up in New Jersey, the vehicle started to sputter on the turnpike. I was told it was bad gas and to not buy gas at that station anymore. The Acadia was back in the garage 2 weeks later for the same thing, this time they did something with the sensors? The car lasted 3 weeks before it went back to sputtering, this time I just kept it, rather than take it back to hear the same thing, and pay more money. I couldn't take it anymore, so I took it back up a month ago, with my previous receipt and they "fixed" it for free...again switching around sensors? When I pulled away, the car started to react the same way. I drove it for a month, then it became undriveable. I took the car up on 8/26/12, with a recall I received for a Timing Chain issue....it is 8/31/12 today and I have contacted the dealer 3 times, with NO RESPONSE AND NO INFORMATION ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON!! This is unacceptable...I need a car and need to know what is going on, since this has been the 4th time back for the same issue! Please help
  • trannyprobstrannyprobs Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 Acadia with 75,000 miles. We are the one and only owners. About a year and a half ago we had to replace the transmission. We had an utterly horrible experience with the dealer as it took 3 weeks to get my car back. We were continually told that they could not get the part. Finally, they opted to put in a new transmission. About 3 weeks ago the car would not shift again. Engine light came on. After about 30 minutes of letting the car sit, it decided to work again, however, the shifting became harder and hesitated. Today it did the same thing. I rolled into the dealer who did indicate that there is another transmission problem. So, we are now waiting once again for a new transmission. This will be our third in less than 4 years of owning the car. I have also been told by a local mechanic that it takes so long to repair the Acadias becuase they have so many problems they cannot get parts or new transmissions. I would have liked to have known of these issues prior to purchase. I do like my car otherwise, but it is now a headache. I will NOT be purchasing another GMC auto after this.
  • acadiafanacadiafan Member Posts: 13
    I just bought a new 2012 Acadia SLT 1 last week (traded in my 2011 GMC Terrain). I have only driven it for one week and the glare from the chrome is killing me. What is the outcome? Has GM made replacements?
    Good morning danelson18,

We're sorry to hear about what's been happening with your Acadia. If you would like for us to look into this further, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with the following information so we can set up a Service Request and contact your dealership: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

Good morning trannyprobs,

We're sorry to hear about the multiple transmission replacements you've had to have done on your Acadia. Have you ever had Customer Assistance look into this with you? If you would like for us to check into your situation further, please send the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

Kindest regards,
    Sarah,
    GM Customer Service
    Good morning acadiafan,

If you would like for us to look into this with you as well, please send the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com:your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

• dkrice33dkrice33 Member Posts: 2
    I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your Acadia. I too have a 2008 Acadia and it is nothing but a lemon. I have had a new transmission, engine, water pump and power steering installed on a car that is not yet 5 years old.
    Now, after spending over $1400 to get the air conditioning fixed in April, it is out again. Additionally, i have repeatedly complained of water leaking in my car. I have spent money to have that issue addressed to no avail.
    My Acadia is in the shop again today for the air conditioning and to "fix" my leaky Acadia, I will have to spend $700.
    This car is a lemon, as is yours, and GMC ( and GM) are not doing the right thing by you, me and all other buyers of this automobile.
    Feel free to go and visit my website, 1.mygmcacadia">link titlesucks.com. :lemon:

This has to stop at some point. With luck, I hope your car gets fixed and GM helps you. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    dkrice33,

I'm sorry that you've had so many concerns with your Acadia; had you ever worked with Customer Assistance on this? If we can check into this further for you, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• brohuckbrohuck Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2012 Acadia and experienced the same problem. Called GM customer service, no help. Called the dealership today and they checked on it. They reported no complaints, but in talking about it at the dealership, it seems one of their salesman at the dealership had purchased one about 6 mo. ago and his wife had reported this issue to him, but he in-turn had not said anything about it. It turns out that a technical bulletin has been sent out by GM and a fix is available. The chrome around the vents can be replaced with black plastic. Mine was ordered and hope to get this resolved next week. You may check again with you dealership. Good luck!
  • trannyprobstrannyprobs Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

We initially had air conditioner problems but that was fixed. My car also leaks water when it rains n the driver side door. It is not super significant so I have ignored it. We had a friend who had a significant problem with leakage. She would get a flood in her car when it rained. They could never fix it. She got rid of her car. Also, I have heard about all of these problems from others so if someone at a dealer told you they never had, they are lying to you. :lemon:
  • acadiafanacadiafan Member Posts: 13
    I went to the local GMC dealer (not the one where I bought the acadia). They told me there is a TSB out and the chrome and be replaced with new black vents or bezels whatever they are called (five in total). At first didn't seem too happy to help me since I bought the car at a GMC dealer about 60 miles away. Since it is a TSB the replacement is at no charge to me...at least that is how I understand it. They ordered the parts. Hopefully I will hear from them next week.
    I called 2 GMC dealers and neither one had heard of this TSB. Do you have a nuumber for the TSB?
    I checked with 2 GMC dealers about the vent issue. They both researched it and found not TSB. Do you have a TSB number?
    This is great news, acadiafan! :)

As the replacement is free to you at this time, it is because you are still within your Bumper to Bumper Warranty.

A TSB, or Technical Service Bulletin, provides technicians required new service information. It provides a correction to a specific product problem and usually contains repair procedures, information on part numbers and availability, and warranty labor code information. The body of the bulletin will describe the condition, cause, and correction to the problem. Whether or not the cost of these procedures is covered depends upon warranty status, which is different than a recall (covered because of safety or non-compliance regardless of age of vehicle or mileage).

We look forward to hearing back from you once everything has been completed!