Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 2008

emsman1emsman1 Member Posts: 6
edited May 2014 in Toyota
Does anyone know when the 2008 will be out? Any word on changes?

Comments

• ebbyebby Member Posts: 23
    Going by Toyota's tradition, I will be expecting some mid-term upgrade on the Rav-4 (being the 3rd year of the new design)- 2008 will be 3rd year of the new Rav4!.

There are no specific cues from Toyota at this time, but I am expecting cosmetic changes to front and rear lamp designs, some cosmetic additions to the Limited model and probably a refreshened interior design. I am also expecting either a 5-speed auto on the base 2.4 engine or more power from the engine - or both.

Just take a look at changes made to the current Sienna and 4Runner in their 3rd year and we should expect a similar treat for Rav4. I dont expect a carry over in the 3rd year.

These are just my speculations or wish list.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    A 5-sp auto for the 4 cyl would be nice. I also think/hope they upgrade the interior, or add more content to the Sport. The interior of the RAV4 is quite spartan for the money, especially in the Sport --- not even a leather-covered steering wheel or redundant audio controls? C'mon Toyota, get real!!
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    I know toyota is committed to putting hybrids in all of their vehicles -- any chance this one picks up the one used in the camry??
  • yassyyassy Member Posts: 70
    the new RAV 4 supposedly is coming later this year in oct-dec time frame. Ive been told it will be refreshed, possibly with projector lenses headlights, and many other changes. cant wait!
  • avalonownavalonown Member Posts: 2
    When will Toyota switch its production of the 2008 RAV4 from their Japan plants to the Woodstock, Ontario plant? Or is Toyota only going to manufacture the RAV4 from the Woodstock plant for North America and that is why it won't be available in showrooms until October or November of 2007? Or is Woodstock even operational yet? Thanks.
  • agiragir Member Posts: 4
    I both called and wrote to Toyota and was told the date for the Rav4 to be released is mid August. They said this means it should be shipping from Japan at that time...so however long it takes to get to the US?

Yassy, can you share any more info on possible changes? Thanks
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    I live near the new Woodstock plant. It's still under construction. They are not supposed to begin building actual vehicles there until sometime in calendar 2008. Japanese production of the 2008 RAV4 starts in August so I would expect vehicles on lots by September, same as it was for the 2007s.
  • avalonownavalonown Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    Has anyone heard if there will be any changes to the 2008 RAV4?
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
  • bankonebankone Member Posts: 44
    I contacted Toyata Canada and was told that they do not know when the 2008 RAV 4 is coming.
  • parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    This was just posted on Truck Trend's blog:

The RAV4 maintains all interior and safety enhancements for 2008. All models now feature driver and front passenger seat-mounted side airbags and first- and second-row side-curtain airbags with roll-over sensor as standard equipment. RAV4 models carry a base MSRP that ranges from $21,100 for the base model 2WD four-cylinder to $26,670 for the 4WD Limited V6. Total RAV4 average MSRP increases $150 or 0.6 percent.

Link to Source
    Why does the RAV4 have no satellite radio option or Nav system option? This, to me, is a gross oversight.
  • yassyyassy Member Posts: 70
    will it look the this from europe?
    http://www.toyota.de/cars/new_cars/rav4/gallery.aspx
  • mylegacymylegacy Member Posts: 38
    It needs to open up like the new CRV.
    If Honda offer a V6, I'm headed there. :P
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..we don't have projector headlamps..."

Good-o, blessed are you.

Projector beam headlamps have been brought into the market not to benefit YOU, but to benefit the oncoming driver.

Ever since HID healamps entered the marketplace there have been complaints, justifiable complaints, by oncoming drivers.

We all already know, or certainly should know, that HID headlamps are brighter, offer a wider spectrum of light, closer to actual sunlight, and provide more lumins/watt than their halogen counterpart.

So the "race" was on. First, "shading" appertures to provide SHARP high level (elevation) lighting cutoff. Then "auto-leveling" to compensate for vehicle loads and help keep the HID lighting out of the eyes of oncoming drivers. Then Bi-xenon.

Now we have projector headlamps since they provide a more tightly focussed, focussing, HID forward low beam lighting. Also with internal apperture upward "shading", auto-leveling, swiveling in tight low speed turns, etc.

I'm not sure that last, swiveling, would have been practical absent projector lenses.

I just retrofitted my '01 Mustang convertible with HID projection headlamps purchased on Ebay. Not as good, not as "broad" light coverage overall as my '01 RX300 factory HIDs, but a definite improvement.

Now I have to add a relay and maybe a diode or two so the low beam HID projectors remain on in high beam mode.
  • nimrod99nimrod99 Member Posts: 343
    They get all the bells and whistles, (Nav, push to start, no rear mounted tire) but they don't get the US V6
  • 719b719b Member Posts: 216
    getting the v6 is nice, but still doesn't make sense why the american version doesn't offer the same options.
    In both the US and Canada. Changes are minimal. No exciting new equipment and no changes to the look, inside or out.
    Did you notice if they offer DVD nav?

If they don't, I can't believe Toyota offers a really tricked out RAV4 in Europe (Rav4 XTR) which has nav and push button start and no spare on the rear door, but not in the US
    Honda CR-V has Nav
    Nav systems are becoming quite common now on many vehicles. It is inexcusable for Toyota not to offer it on the RAV4 although I must say the Garmin Nuvi 660 is a good solution to this problem.
    No factory navigation in the RAV4 for 2008. Maybe next year, when we should see the mid-cycle refresh. Personally, I prefer the portable nav units like the Nuvi anyway so this wouldn't be an issue for me if I were looking to buy.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "Nav systems are becoming quite common now on many vehicles."

NOT!

In the "beginning" a hard disk was used and then that evolved into the use of a DVD player. Not something that could easily be made portable. But nowadays with solid memories coming into the market the current trend is most definitely AWAY from captive nav systems and toward portable, hand held nav systems.

Just think of the many advantages.

Like being distracted via cell phone use, now you can kill yourself and your passengers as you drive along while "setting-up" your portable nav system.
    Like I said, nav systems are becoming much more common in vehicles nowadays. A perusal of the equipment lists for many lines of automobiles bears this out.

That is not to say that portable units are not also becoming more common. They are in many cases, such as in the case of the Garmin Nuvi 660, the equal of the integrated units although not so aesthetically pleasing and a bit more cumbersome in setting them up and removing them from the dashes.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    drive along while "setting-up" your portable nav system

Just think of all those past generations of drivers who had no idea where they were or how to get to where they were going! :P

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    quote [wwest] "In the "beginning" a hard disk was used and then that evolved into the use of a DVD player. Not something that could easily be made portable. But nowadays with solid memories coming into the market the current trend is most definitely AWAY from captive nav systems and toward portable, hand held nav systems.

Just think of the many advantages."

You are not making sense. What is the source for your statement?.
    The market for portible nav is to address vehicles without nav.
    If all cars came with built in nav, then portible would be less in demand (for motorcycle, bikes, jogger etc).

I have a garmin portible and I like it. But it's not voice activated. The big plus for me is the text to speech in the garmin. I can also get software updates over the web, simply by plugging in a USB cable to my PC
    The downside is setting the unit up on the dash each time I drive.

Having a nav system built in that can be voice activated will reduce the need to "set up" while driving.
    Then there is the convenience factor of not having to plug it in the power socket, set it on the dash and have wires dangling all over the place
  • jbm2jbm2 Member Posts: 3
    Where did you find a 2008 Rav4 brochure in the US? My local dealers do not have them and they are not available on the Toyota website.
    I'm not in the US, but based on posts on another forum the 2008 US brochure is apparently available at dealers in some parts of the country. Shouldn't take too long for them all to get copies.
  • rickster01rickster01 Member Posts: 6
    Sorry but no 5 speed for the 4-cyl. I went to the dealer yesterday. They checked and there is a 2008 on land in CA. RAV4 Limited with the 4-cyl BUT 4 speed trans :mad:
  • jbm2jbm2 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you both. I did find a Rav 2008 brochure at Toyota Canada. I could find only 1 difference in the brochure - a back up assist accessory. Toyota did formally announce it would increase the price by only $150, so there are no apparent major changes. My other car needed an expensive repair last week, so I went ahead and bought a great 2007 V6 Limited Rav.

Others have asked about GPS. This site claims to have one that is Rav compatible - http://www.oemvalue.com/toyota.htm, but it replaces the entire stereo system.
  • a_pippa_pipp Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2007 RAV4 Sport Flint Mica V6 4x2 yesterday in Stockton, CA. They had the 2008 RAV4 brochures there. I couldn't find anything different in it... and even if there was, it would have been very minor.
  • mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    I plan to purchase a new 2008 vehicle. Right now I am trying to decide between the Hyundai Santa Fe, Nissan Rogue and the Rav4. I know the St.Fe is a midsize verus a compact.
    I like the mpg of the Rav4 but I am not sure about the rear door that opens to the left. Can anybody tell me how it works for you? Is it really as bad as some people say it is?
    Toyota's are good reliable cars. I am not sure about the reliability of Hyundai but they have come a long way. The Rogue is nice but is the first year of the car and I am hesitant about buying the first year those cars always have bugs. Any information would be helpful. thanks.
  • leseuldanielleseuldaniel Member Posts: 45
    I sat in all three.

Santa Fe is huge and relatively luxurious. Rav4 feels a bit smaller (compact) but it is a Toyota like you say, however, in Canada, it is tremendously overpriced. Finally the Rogue is TINY, similar to a Tucson, fells like a large car, no more and has a smaller engine. Have you ckecked the Outlander?
    Yeah my husband didn't like the outlander. He thought it was a bit small/tight and he didn't like the roof material.
    He didn't like the overall look.
    What do you know about the reliability of the Hyundai Santa Fe? We keep our cars for at least ten years.
    It is looking more and more like the Santa Fe is our car. My husband is 6'1" so we have to get something that is spacious and comfortable.
    Thanks for the info.
    Check on the MPG for the Santa Fe. I've heard they aren't getting the best MPG. I like asking people that show up with the vehicle I'm considering at the gas stations when I'm filling up, what they get for mileage. Most are pretty honest.
    I went to see a RAV4 yesterday. I looked at the 2007 limited model. I liked everything about it except for the rear door. What I really like about it is the prospect of getting at least 25 mpg.
    How bad is the rear door? How inconvenient is it? Can anybody tell me.
    If I do buy the RAV4 I would like the 2008 model.
  • gunselagunsela Member Posts: 2
    Are there vents for 2nd and 3rd rows in any 2007 or 2008 Raw4 models? I couldn't see any in a 2007 model. If there is really none, isn’t it uncomfortable for back seat passengers? Please share your experiences. Thanks.
  • rdalton823rdalton823 Member Posts: 1
    I'm 6'1" and my wife is 5'10" and we both prefer the side swing rear door to a lift. Beats having to duck every time you go to put something back there. This was really tested a couple of years ago when we rented an 05 Rav4 while on vacation. Loading and unloading luggage was a breeze. We fell in love with that thing. I just drove an 07 the other day and I was impressed with the head room. No sun roof installed, so that makes a difference. Hard to get the desired color and features on an 07 now, so will probably order an 08.
  • desertrat5desertrat5 Member Posts: 85
    I picked up a 2008 brochure in Colorado Springs on Friday. No vehicles and the sales person either didn't know when they would be available or felt challenged to sell me one of his remaining '07s. Does anyone have a firm date yet as to when the '08s will go on sale?
  • beernut1beernut1 Member Posts: 3
    I was told on Friday by a No. CA dealer they expect the new RAV4s to be delivered in 6-8 weeks...mid to late Oct.
  • dtowndtown Member Posts: 20
    If there is one thing to hate about the Rav4, its the back door. Had the same door on my 1999 CR-V, didnt like that one either. Why Toyota didnt make the door raise overhead is beyond me, but the rest of the car is great. V6 mileage in mine is averaging 24 overall. Ive gotten 28 on road trips too. Plenty of room for me and my gear. I have had no problems with mine either. Expect to get a lot of miles out of this car.
  • mason547mason547 Member Posts: 1
    I love the rear door. I had a Rav4 and upgraded to a Highlander, we are going to get a new car for my wife and she said she wanted a small SUV with the rear door opening like a real door not up. Other than I loved my Rav4 and the quality the reason she wants it is for the side opening door.
  • speedie1970speedie1970 Member Posts: 7
    I live in the city (Chicago) and was looking at buying a RAV4, but I too was concerned about the rear door considering the amount of parallel parking we do and the way our garage is set up, so I rented a RAV4 for a couple of days.

While the door wasn't a deal breaker, it was inconvenient (why couldn't it as least swing the other way to allow easy & safe curbside loading?) and one of a few reasons why we opted for a Santa Fe. If we lived in the suburbs, the rear door would be a non-issue.

Try renting a RAV4 and see if it works for you.
  • ajmoleajmole Member Posts: 1
    I own '07 RAV4 Limited with a sunroof and I also test drove a Base model without a sunroof. The headroom is the same in both models.
    If you do not do much parallel parking, you will be fine with the rear door opening to the side. My wife actually loves it. It opens just like any side door. She does not have to pull down a heavy gate as she does in our Buick Rendezvous.
  • msmargemsmarge Member Posts: 4
    I picked up my 2008 Limited RAV4 4WD 6cyl (loaded!) on September 9th. It had just rolled of the truck and they didn't have any other 2008's on the lot.

For what it's worth, I love it! Drives great, is quiet, and I had a very tall person sit in both the front and back and said there was plenty of head room. I was also able to sell my 97 Camry for above Blue Book in less than 12 hours on Craigslist...going to keep buying Toyotas!

The stereo rocks too! :)
    Can I ask what you paid compared to MSRP?
  • redecorateredecorate Member Posts: 8
    Hi MsMarge

I ordered a 2008 Limited RAV4 $WD 6cyl earlier this week. It is due in by the end of next week. Also I'm driving a 97 Camry but was thinking about trying to see what the dealer will give me for it. Do you mind sharing what you paid for your RAV 4 and and what you got for the Camry? I assume your Camry was in pretty good shape which mind is not -- it needs struts, back brakes and it's now at the age where it is burning oil at an alarming rate.
  • sneylandsneyland Member Posts: 1
    It looks like the 2008 RAV4 gets worse gas mileage than the 2007. Didn't the 2007 get 30 MPG freeway?
  • shasta67shasta67 Member Posts: 109
    It does not get any worse mileage. The EPA changed the way they compute MPG for 2008. If you look at most cars you will see they are less now too. The new way is supposed to be more realistic.
This discussion has been closed.