Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 2008

Comments

• msmargemsmarge Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I paid $1500 under MSRP, which wasn't easy. My husband did the negotiations over the phone before I went in and picked it up.

-M
    Here in the Seattle area, the Camrys in good shape don't last long. I sold mine (93k miles) for $5300. You won't get near that from a dealer. Check craigslist to see what they are selling for in your area and also check Kelly Blue book to get a realistic selling price. I got the RAV4 for $1500 under MSRP. Not great, but pretty good considering how fast they are selling and the high demand.

I just waxed my the baby (blizzard pearl) and boy does it sparkle! From what I understand, there were no changes from the 2007 to 2008 models. I've got about 300 miles on her and no complaints yet.
  • webbewebbe Member Posts: 15
    Can't find the answer to this anywhere what is the difference between the limited and the base on the 2008?
    Was thinking of getting the Base 2008 Rav4 with 6cl and 4x4,
    Edmunds list price for that in both the 2007 and 2008 but when I went to toyota.com and tried to put in the 2008 base and added the 6cl, a prompt came up saying you must select limited. Do they no longer over the 6cl with the base-do you
    have to get the limited?
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    HI there....question about the stereo? Did you get the xm?
    I have ordered the new Savannah color '08 RAV4 Limited 4WD 6cyl, which is awesome, with the xm, mudguards etc. Being a new color, it is hard to come by, so I am still waiting.
    Someone wrote that the stereo wasn't that great. The one I test drove did not have xm, but was great sounding to me.
  • 719b719b Member Posts: 216
    i believe it depends what part of the country you are in. some areas have different option packages than others.
  • badinebadine Member Posts: 1
    If you have a 2008 RAV4 and have read the 2007 forum postings, can you comment on such "problems" as cruise control, uncomfortable driver's seat, exagerated EPA MPG numbers, rough ride, and poor standard radio/CD player. Thanks.
    I just ordered my new RAV4 v6 Limited with XM radio. Does anyone else out there have the XM and how do they like it?

I also have the new Savannah Color for 08 which is a Taupe color that is sharp on the RAV4 !

Thanks if you have info on the radio.
    I am 6'2 and had a 2005 Avalon before ordering the 08 RAV4 Limited. It has plenty of room, front and back, and the rear door is not an issue with me. When I test drove the RAV4, I found the seats were comfortable, the ride is quiet for an SUV.
    I did ask if they would ever move the tire underneath, and the dealer said probably not, that it was a trademark of the RAV4 to have the tire in the back, so chances of the door being changed are slim for the future.
    Drove an Outlander....no comparison to the RAV4. More noise, very un-comfortable and alot less power with their V6
    I live in Virginia, and my 08 is due October 25 at the dealership.
    I think the stereo is awesome and I don't have XM. No complaints here.
    Thanks for the post on the stereo....I don't know why some complain about the stereo, I think it sounds awesome also. I will let you know how I like the XM when I get the RAV4 !
    Can someone give me advice? My new Rav4 Limited 08 is to arrive the day I leave for vacation. I know the first 1000 miles are suppose to be varied with speed...is it okay to drive a new vehicle on a 7 hour drive one way when it is this new? I really would like to take it, but I can rent a car if better. Any suggestions out there???????
    Thanks if you can help on my decision.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Better to rent a car if in your 7 hour drive you cannot vary engine speed. This will avoid possible future engine oil problems.
    Hey, does any one have an 08 Rav4 Limited V6 with the XM? I have ordered it with my new RAV4 that is due in two weeks. The 9 speaker stereo sounds great in the one that I tried out, but it did not have the xm.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks to talk with owners and serious shoppers of the 2007 or 2008 Toyota RAV4 who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, November 15, 2007 and include your city and state of residence as well as the age of your child/ren.
  • goateegoatee Member Posts: 51
    Hey how about us Sirius fans. I have had factory installed Sirius in my 06 Avalon XLS and love it. I have also listened to XM. I guess its a matter of individual taste and preference. But can I get Sirius on the new RAV4? It would probably be a deal breaker for me.
    Hey there....they ask me which one I wanted, XM or Sirius, when I ordered the RAV4 08, so I would think you could get either one.

Ronn
    I just drove my new RAV4 home yesterday, and absolutely love it! I traded a 2005 Avalon for it.

Fun SUV to drive. The color is new Savannah, and is gorgeous. I have already had so many lookers and comments on that color. It is hard to come by, so you don't see as many RAV4's in that color. I highly recommend that you see how sharp it looks.

Also, the XM radio is wonderful! Easy to set up, and the 9 speakers are great!

Interested in hearing from others that have this model. I will be posting a review on Edmunds for the 2008 soon. Enjoy!!!!

Ronn
    As I looked for the first review of the RAV08, I was hoping mine would be, but it isn't posted yet. What a disappointment!!!
    I found the first review to be totally rediculous with a 3.8 ! If someone hates this SUV this much, they shouldn't have bought it. Do folks even test drive a car first?? Obviously not! While I know people have different needs and opinions, I find the Edmunds Forums to be very important for others seeking information and decision making. The wonderful information and happy owners of the RAV4 from last year help me in my decision to get one. As I came from a 2005 Avalon, I wanted to make sure this was what I wanted after deciding on an SUV. To rate this SUV with a 3.8 is not very helpful to those who are serious about the RAV4. I hope those of you that love the RAV, will please be more in line with what a great SUV this is. Sure, there may be a few kinks with some of yours, but it is a great SUV and those interested should have a fair review. I suggest someone who gives this a 3.8, should get rid of it real soon! For those interested in the 2008 Rav, my review should be out soon, it is very complete!! Great SUV!!!

Ronn
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe the dealer forgot to air down the tires (they often neglect this part of the pre-delivery inspection). That could explain the poor ride quality the reviewer is experiencing.

The consumer reviews are scanned by real people before posting to weed out spam and nonsensical reviews, so that's why there's a week or two lag time before your review gets posted after you submit it.
    Hey Steve...my post is up, and hope it will help those interested. As I have had the RAV4 08 two weeks, I love this SUV as well as those who have had a ride! In fact, I have had several friends ride and one purchase after riding in mine. I will have a new post soon on the mileage.
    I would like to add that it has a very quick heater!!!

By the way, Edmunds needs to update the rating now that mine has posted.

Ronn
    Hey Ron, thanks for writing a consumer review. All the reviews are read by real people before they get posted on the site to weed out spam and other off-topic reviews. Usually it takes a week to work through the new review submissions and then a few days after that for the coders to update the review links.

Any other owners who want to review their RAV4, please click on the Rate It link above and follow the steps. Thanks!
    I got my lesson today from the dealership on how to operate the bluetooth on the RAV4! After a little practice, I got the hang of it. It works great, and it sure is nice controlling it from the stering wheel. Hope everyone else is enjoying it as well!

Don't forget to post your reviews! If you love this SUV as much as I, we need some great reviews. Great weekend everyone!

Ronn
    The consumer review link is over in the right sidebar now btw. Under Learn More.
    Hey all of you in Toyota RAV4 land, after three weeks, I must say that I really am enjoying this SUV. The RAV4 V6 4WD Limited has been awesome so far. I have had so many comments on the color Savannah. I have 550 miles so far, and after filling the gas tank today, I got 19mpg with mostly city driving, with a few freeway miles thrown in. After the break in period, I hope I can get better mpg.
    I am enjoying the premium stereo, and bluetooth. Being on the highway yesterday with high winds, the RAV4 really held the road without any problem. I was very pleased! I am amazed at the quietness this SUV has on the highway. I would also comment as before that the heater works fast!
    I do hope many of you will get your reviews in. With only two so far, there is not alot being said at this point. I am anxious to see if others of you are enjoying your RAV4 as much as I. It deserves a better rating than what is listed right now.
    Can't wait to try it out this winter!
    Enjoy!
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    what does an AWD Rav4 do in the following situation:

Stop the car so both left side wheels are on the road, and both right side wheels are on gravel, snow or ice (something loose or slippery).
    Then floor the accelerator.

What happens?

1. engine cuts power and vehicle crawls forward
    2. engine revs, wheels on right spin, vehicle crawls forward or swerves,
    3. engine revs, vehicle accelerates promptly and goes in straight line
    4. your experience/results.

If 3., that is what I saw in both Subaru's I drove recently. Unfortunately , the Subaru line has issues with fuel economy and interior quality, hence the interest in the AWD Rav4.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    thnx... wrt "crawls", around how fast is "crawls"?

And does the "4wd lock" or whatever Toyota calls the switch that activates full FWD below 20 mph, make any difference?
  • getmeanewcargetmeanewcar Member Posts: 26
    The Toyota.com webpage suggests MSRP as $27000 for the RAV4/year:08/V6/2WD/3.5L/black/LIMITED/without Navi. But when I requested a quoto from Online retailers, they call for nearly $30000. Why do the local retailers call for higher price than the MSRP? And what are some effective strategy to have as much discount as possible from the local dealers? Should I get 2007 instead of 2008 for cheaper price? or Wouldn't there be big difference between 07 and 08?
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    Could someone help me to find photos that show the third-row seat up and also when it folds flat into the floor?

I was ready to order a 2008 Outlander XLS but although the third-row seats fold flat into the floor, the second-row seats is a disappointment. It reduces a lot the cargo area space.
  • 7wgt7wgt Member Posts: 3
    I have owned my '08 Rav4 for 6 weeks - have been having problem with interior windows fogging up although AC is on. Seems to be an intermittent condition. Dealer + Service Dept. has no explanation as yet. Anybody experiencing similar problem?

Also - I have upgraded sound system with 9 speakers ... I can locate only 7 speakers. Where are the other 2 hiding? :confuse:

Last - I have had people on the receiving end of my bluetooth conversations say that it sounds "scratchy" or "staticy".

I appreciate any comments.
    Try the following web site - scroll to the bottom for a series of photos ...

http://www.autospectator.com/cars/models/0029571-2008-toyota-rav4
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    There are nine speakers in seven locations. The rear door speakers have integral tweeters and those get counted separately.

No problem with fogging in my Limited, and my A/C is off most of the time.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I thank you WWEST ... You have certainly helped. I will also forward your post/s on to the service dept. manager at my Toyota dealer ( I'm at bit surprised he was unaware of this).
  • kari3kari3 Member Posts: 8
    Why do you think that you need that? You do realize that you have to pay a monthly subscription to that? Why would you want to pay when you can get it for free? After all you can get a portable Garmin for $300 and take it anywhere and not pay a monthly subscription. It's also upgradeable and cheaper than built-ins. If it breaks, you can easily buy a new one also. For satellite radio you have to pay to listen to the same music that you can easily listen to on regular radio without the cost. Why would you need to listen to a New York station in California, or wherever you may be? I don't need to listen to either. I'd say stick with the local stuff, at least it's free.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    After telling myself for several years I was done buying new cars, today I committed to buying a 2008 RAV4. It is pretty much the only vehicle I have found that:
    a) I can fit into, being 6'3" and long torso (that telescoping steering wheel is gold!)
    b) gets in the upper 20s mpg highway even in AWD
    c) does this with a V6 that has enough muscle for modest towing.

I have a Base w/V6 AWD "on the way". It has what I think Toyota calls option package A, includes CD changer, roof rack, bumper applique, DRLs, tow prep package, cargo mat, mudflaps, and cargo cover/net thingy. Most of that is OK, I am lukewarm on the CD changer because I have seen too many problems with changers historically, and the cargo cover/net thing is worthless as far as I am concerned, but I definitely wanted the tow prep package and roof rack. Fact is V6s are hard to come by, and I didn't have much choice anyway.

I feel the RAV is a lot of vehicle for $24.7K, time will tell. I'll be hanging around here in the future, so see you around! :shades:

~Steve in MN
  • yayi72yayi72 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I purchased my RAV4-4cyl base model two months ago, I LOVE the car, but I'm just a little concern about a noise coming from engine. Every morning when I turn it on it makes this noise like a "fan" noise and then it goes away once I start driving, it also makes the noise when in park position. I went to the dealer to p/u some stuff and I told the sales guy but he said that's normal. I don't know much about cars, but a brand new car shouldn't have such loud engine. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? Please help..... :confuse:
    Congratulations! Coming up on 18 months with our V6 AWD and it's still as solid as ever. Hope yours works out as well as ours has.
    Thanks!

Do you do any towing?
    I'm guessing that is the radiator fan...I would try popping the hood and starting the vehicle while watching the fan to see if that is what is making the noise. If so, I suspect that is indeed normal.
    No towing yet, but I've thought about adding a hitch, since I have access to a utility trailer that would occasionally be handy.
  • hackdhackd Member Posts: 65
    Based on your satellite radio comments it seems you don't have much knowledge. You are not listening to stations...channels which are much different. If you are into music and a specific genre then regular radio won't cut it between the limited selections and large amounts of commercials. This is coming from a person who listens to the radio in the car as I don't drive that much. Whenever I am in a family member or friends car that has it is worth it's weight in gold during a long drive....especially in an area that has terrible radio stations.
  • amygudamygud Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 08 Sport Rav4 for just under a month now. I have an iPod that I use with the aux input jack found in the armrest (I have the standard audio package, and not the JBL upgrade). I was excited about the prospect of having a factory-installed place to plug it in, but am not satisfied with the sound quality. I hear a hissy-sounding noise, which is really loud in between songs, and at times can be heard over the songs I'm listening to, which is very annoying to anyone who loves to jam while driving. The hissing sound gets louder when accelerating, quieter when decelerating, and very low while sitting at an idle. I'm thinking of taking back to the service department for their advice. How can I make it sound better?
    OK...looks like a hitch can be had for $120-130 and is a pretty easy bolt on. I see wiring kits at around $40. I saw one seller that claimed 45 minutes to DIY-install the wiring, not sure if I buy that from what I have read about the "pre-wiring" for the RAV4...or is that a separate wiring job from the hook-up kit? Hmmm...
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Hey Steve, it's been a few years going back to the Trooper days! I've had my V6 Limited for almost 2 years now............your going to love it!
    Heh, how 'bout that? I guess great minds think alike...eventually. ;) I'm really looking forward to my RAV arriving...

I still have a Trooper as a dedicated trail truck, built up with lift, lockers, gears, etc. I go wheeling with a local club, and still head out to Moab every year with the Isuzu gang.

Did we really register here the same day?
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Wow that's great the old Trooper is still going strong! So what color Rav did you get? I'm not sure about the registration date........I've had this account since 1999, right before the Trooper.
    Actually it is not the same Trooper...my 99 got t-boned December 2004. I bought a shorty 93 RS (2-door) a couple of years ago for trail use.

The RAV is silver. Not necessarily my first choice, but a lot of other people seem to like it and I am not particular about it.

I think you are right about the registration date, maybe that April 13 is the date of a software changeover or something...we must've been here before that.
    think you are right about the registration date, maybe that April 13 is the date of a software changeover or something...we must've been here before that.

Exactly right!
This discussion has been closed.