Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Accessories and Modifications

13»

Comments

• subiecouplesubiecouple Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I recntly aquired a '99 legacy L, 30th anniversary edition. I had to replace the speedo, from what i read this is fairly common, and in doing so found that the wiring is in place for the factory driving/fog light switch. So, i purchased a switch, ligths and brackets from a '99 limited from a reputable salvege yard. My problem is, I cant seem to locate the lamp end of the wiring for the lights. In my experience with past subies, they seem to be all prewired for everything. Is this the case? Has anyone else had any experience or success with this upgrade? I want them to work, and it really would boost the appearance of the car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :)
  • taskuchantaskuchan Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to upgrade my audio system. Im not sure about how to start at it. I know I'll have to do all new wiring as whats in the car is still factory. I also have no experience in this area. Any suggestions as how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    You don't need to re-wire, you can get an adapter to put a new head unit into there and use the stock wiring. I'd look to upgrade the head unit and the speakers to start with.

-mike
  • taskuchantaskuchan Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, that will save me lots of trouble. But what adapter and head unit will I need?
  • dweiler1dweiler1 Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2007 Outback and we don't have the cross-bars on the roof rack. How far back can I go to find a used set? 2005? 2003? 2000? Just curious as I would know in a second if it were a Jeep, but not so much with Subarus.

To put it simply, if I see a used set on eBay or something, what years could the crossbars come off of and still fit on my 2007?

Thanks
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The current generation of Outback launched for model year 2005, though I'm not sure if the rack is identical. Hopefully that at least narrows down your search to 2005+.
  • tdiver8tdiver8 Member Posts: 3
    The Yakima adapter mount for some newer Subaru model rails is the Lowrider.
    Check the Yakima and Thule websites for options.
    For my 2005 Outback, the factory cross-bars hold 100 lbs total.
    I compared the Yakima and Thule adapter systems and looked them both up in the hardcopy books at REI.
    Yakima says the Lowrider + round bars still only holds 100 lbs total.
    Yet the nearly identical Thule Crossroad mounts and Thule bars say they will hold 165 lbs..
    Either Yakima or Thule is mistaken. The correct answer would depend on the load rating of the factory rails.
  • tdiver8tdiver8 Member Posts: 3
    I sent emails to Yakima and Thule.
    Here is the Thule response (Laura Lee) - 08/14/2008 03:26 PM Hi Tom, The Subaru rating of 100lbs is determined by the strength of the crossbars. Therefore, if you use the Thule crossbars that are stronger, you will have a higher weight rating.
    The Yakima crossbars are also weaker than Thule bars and therefore cannot support as much. They are different bars. You are right about the rating for both. Both companies are correct in their weight limits.
    You will be able to mount any of our boxes on the Thule rack system.

Here is the Yakima response: Yakima and Thule are in the same industry, but we are two completely different companies. We have different product with different geometries, and different testing processes and standards. Yakima has determined that 100 pounds is the maximum amount of weight recommended, and therefore under warranty, for your vehicle. You are at liberty to use the box in whatever application you want, but we only warranty our product when our instructions and fit guidelines are followed.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    I would hazard to guess that I have loaded the crossbars on my '96 Outback with at least double the weight limit of 100#. I never had a problem with them (aside from a pronounced flattening of the arch), but had I, it would have been my own fault!

I suspect the load I carried on my '08 Outback for ~4000 miles last fall was over the 100# weight limit, but, again, had no problems with it. Sure killed the fuel economy, though!

As seen in the photo below, we had a Yakima Load Warrior cargo carrier mounted on the factory crossbars, with a 7 cu. ft. Yakima soft vinyl cargo bag (crammed full) and a pair of 18-gallon Roughneck totes packed with canned goods and other food items. I estimate about 150#, but who knows, it was likely more than that.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • dweiler1dweiler1 Member Posts: 3
    Have a 2007 Subaru Outback -- will a 1999 Pet Barrier fit? I know a lot of the new stuff only goes back to 2005, but thought I'd ask before I drive a ways to pick this thing up.

We don't have a sunroof and the '99 barrier was for no sunroof, so was just curious how they hook up and if it would fit.

THX
    It might but I doubt it. The 1999 is 2 generations before the current one.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • screwbaruscrewbaru Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know where to get a push bar/grille guard for a 99 outback?
    Try ecb.com.au they make great bull bars and they are super light and super strong.

-mike
  • codemonkey2codemonkey2 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought an 07 Outback sedan LL Bean trim. Does anyone know what type of connector I need to connect my Ipod through the Aux Input for the stereo. And also I would like to get a bra for it, does anyone know where to get one that would fit well. (Links would be helpful if they are allowed on this forum.)
  • rab24thrab24th Member Posts: 2
  • rab24thrab24th Member Posts: 2
    Hi - I just purchased the hood deflector & would like to install it myself - but the instructions(as described in a much older thread) are crude drawings only & not very descriptive. From the previous discussion, I saw no mention made of having to remove the front grill assembly from the hood before installing the deflector - like the instructions tell you to do. But there is no way I'm getting that grill off like it says w/out destroying it.

So, is it necessary to remove the grill - or should the deflector just be attached using the two wraparound clasps over each headlight w/ the associated hardware?

Any advice would be most welcomed & appreciated! Oh, and my 1st post - just bought my 1st Sub. & am very happy!!
    -RB
  • codemonkey2codemonkey2 Member Posts: 4
    For the connector, you simply need a male mini to male mini. They run about $5 at any store that sells electronics and accessories.

As for the bra, I cannot make recommendations. I will say, however, that you probably ought to be very certain you will never remove it, as they tend to abrade the paint beneath.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats.

Sorry, but no idea on the install.

The instructions are awful, aren't they? I had a 98 Forester and had to figure out all that stuff by myself. I must have had 20 different accessories/mods on that car, maybe more.
  • janeinmajaneinma Member Posts: 1
    Looking to buy a used car and this subaru caught my eye by driving really well and a decent priced low mileage model nearby. BUT I love my music and I know I can't live without either an aux port or even better an after market system like JVC KD-S100 which has a USB port.
    once you have used this feature its hard to think of not having it.
    Crutchfield says its compatible with the car, if I want this I know I have to go after market. If it isnt feasible I will move to the 2007where I know there is a loaded car at a dealership nearby to get the aux port , I will have to add the autodim mirror and car starter but they are pre-wired so it would be minor.
    can anyone comment on feasibility?
  • dpalkadpalka Member Posts: 8
  • dpalkadpalka Member Posts: 8
    How do I install the GPS? The CD player cannot read the DVD and the manual is not helpful at all in this regard. What am I missing?
  • checkerbarncheckerbarn Member Posts: 3
    The Aux in selection on my'08 Outback stopped working. Nothing happens when I select it. Is there a known cause/fix for this?

Thanks, tr
    I recall correctly, this functions very similar to the '09+ Forester (I have a 10 Forester now), so you cannot select the AUX mode unless the stereo detects a connection to an external device. So, it may be that the car's connector (female) is bad, or that the cord being used to connect the auxiliary device is bad, or.... ? It would likely get more complicated after that (e.g., bad wiring to the stereo, or something defunct in the stereo itself).
  • checkerbarncheckerbarn Member Posts: 3
    Well... I feel a bit stupid! Thanks a lot! it was the cable.