Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• tangledwebbtangledwebb Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 outback. The manual says not to plug anything but a cigarette lighter into that port. How do I get an outlet for my cell phone or video player?
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    I am sure you can plug other things that run on the same voltage into that port.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    My Forester's manual says the same thing, yet I've charged several different Nokia cell phones and RIM BlackBerry models there for the past 9 years, no problem. :shades:
    Thanks for the responce. I tried to plug in my phone ( I figured it would be ok too) but when I did the radio started staticing instantly. When I unplugged it, it stopped. I can't figure why unless it really means don't plug anything else into it. Or maybe there's something wrong with the radio?
    Was it static or reverb? That is common with speakers of all sorts. Cell phones cause reverb in them.
    definately static
    any ideas?
    Sorry no because I can't think of who those two are related. Using that port shouldn't affect your radio noise, the port is voltage while the radio is frequency. :confuse:
    Perhaps it is a bad ground?

Now that I think about it, I did have some minor issues with a Nokia hands-free kit that had a speaker phone. It was for a Nokia phone, but made by some other company, I forget now.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    I am not sure if this is still a problem, but I know there was mention a while back of GSM phones causing interference in the radio - due to the actual transmission frequencies. Admittedly, I have not followed this conversation to see the original post, but just thought I would throw that out there.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Yeah, I stopped using it for another reason - poor quality.

Fortunately my newer phone has a built-in speaker that sounds much better.
    Yes you will hear reveb, clicks and static type noises if your cellular phone is too close to your speakers. I hear it most often in my PC speakers.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Anyone have one installed on their 05+ LGT? Looking at putting one in the new ride.

-mike
  • seabee65seabee65 Member Posts: 1
    Have any of you put on a larger front & rear sway bar ?
    Which brand & size did you choose & are you happy w/the result ? Thanks for your reply. Val in e.tn.
    Haven't yet but I will be eventually.

-mike
  • w2njsw2njs Member Posts: 1
    I have an '07 LLB H6 Outback, now with 2000 miles, and I absolutely love the car. It's my third Subaru but my first with the big engine, having done many miles in an '00 I bought used and an '04 I got new. The one thing on the '07 that I'd like to change is the exhaust outlets. It's a shame to have your dual mufflers hidden up, under, and behind the rear bumper, so I'm wondering if the rear mufflers from the H6 sedan (that appear to show under the bumper) can be swapped/put onto the wagon. Since it's not possible to drive with the rear gate open I can't understand why Subaru chose to hide the exhaust outlets, more so since the car has a built-in spoiler. All ideas and thoughts are appreciated.

Tom, Washington DC
  • dliboirondliboiron Member Posts: 10
    I have the 1997 legacy outback, the little sticker on top says I can only use Sub' approved cargo container. My max load is 100 Ibs, what kind of aftermarket products can I use for a cargo rack? The closest dealer to me is 150 km away and they are not providing me witht the right info.
    For stores near me, we have Walmart, Canadian Tire, zellers ( I don't think they do car stuff), NAPA, Rona, Peavey Mart..
  • desertdave68desertdave68 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Thule rack for my bikes for my 03 Outback. The cargo carriers (either Thule or Yakima) that I can fit alongside the bike racks are all really long and block the back lift gate. Is anyone aware of some other cargo carrier option that allows me to both use the bike racks but that doesn't block the lift gate? (I've studied the Thule and Yakima catalogs and think I've exhausted my options. Hoping there's something else out there).
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    I was always under the impression that you either had the bike rack or the cargo carrier, not both. One place for both places is etrailer.com. Decent prices, and good service.

Mark
    Really depends on the type of bike rack and cargo carrier you get. If you put wide cross bars on the car (5-6'?), you can easily fit a rocket box (long, enclosed, hard-side cargo carrier) and a bike or two side by side. Also, if you get a large cargo basket, you can mount bike racks directly on top of it. The basket is not as long as the rocket boxes and is not as restrictive regarding load shapes/sizes. But, it also does not offer the same level of cargo protection.

Choices choices....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    That does work. Keep in mind that two identical mountain bikes most likely don't fit between the rails of a Outback. I have a Yakima bars and bike attachments. Width of handle bars + bike attachments will be wider than the subaru rack. This forces one bike to be mounted backwards. In our case my wifes bike is much smaller frame size and the bike handle bars can overlap.

Hint to Subaru: make the roof rack wider!

If you want 4 bikes get long bars! I think I have the 60" bars and they don't extend too far beyond the edge of the car and are within the mirrors.
  • nctarheelnctarheel Member Posts: 1
    I can't take it anymore. I've tried three different models and they're all terrible. The audio is weak, tinny, totally lacking in low-end, and the static is constant and horrible. It makes my iPod sound like an AM radio.

I have a 2005 Outback 2.5i Ltd with the factory-installed in-dash 6 CD changer. Does anyone know if I can get Subaru or an after-market place to install an aux-in jack? The unit appears to have only three settings (FM, AM and CD) so I'm not sure if it would be possible to patch in an aux-in. Would I have to replace the entire unit? That would cost a lot more than I'm willing to spend.
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    There is a post on here in the Subaru Crew where someone has listed a mod for the ipod. I beleive it is jazzyengineering.com

A lot of people have used it with great success.

Mark
  • garybeck3garybeck3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I wanted to buy a softshell luggage carrier for my Outback wagon (with sunroof) but I'm assuming I need to buy at least one additional load bar to prevent the bag from sagging onto the roof.

Is this the typical approach, or has anyone found a better way to support the softshell? Thanks.
    Most typically, one would support the soft bag with either a cargo basket (which mounts to the factory crossbars) or some other solid-bottomed fabrication. A third bar would likely work if the contents of the bag were either large or the bag was stuffed nearly or completely full.

I mounted our 7 cubic foot soft bag (I think it is a Yakima) directly on the roof of our '96, but that was before the days of the panoramic sunroof, back when the cargo rack still had the skids mounted every 6" across the top.
  • ens1117ens1117 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to get a cargo box or basket/bag for my 2006 Outback wagon. Our vehicle has a factory installed rack, and the use would be to add space for luggage, etc as opposed to sporting equipment like a snowboard.

Any and all suggestions, recommendations and warnings would be appreciated.
    I had a soft carrier on my Forester. In heavy, sustained rain, it was not water tight. They are the cheapest option, and fold away when you don't need it.

I prefer the new Sears ones, the black aero looking ones.

Also, Yak racks (Yakima) will bolt on with a clamp you can buy.
    I actually rested mine on the roof rails (Foresters back then had them) and put the bars just fore and aft to hold the whole thing in place.

Nowadays rails are rare, even Subaru dropped them.
  • amazingplaceamazingplace Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 Legacy sedan that has an XM ready radio. I am a Sirius subscriber and want to install a Sirius receiver in the car. Question is, can I utilize the factory XM-ready radio and integrate Sirius? Is there a Sirius kit that would work? I'd like to be able to do this without using the aux jack.
    I'm fairly sure you can't adapt XM for Sirius. You will probably have to use the Aux in feature.

-mike
  • subarubdosubarubdo Member Posts: 3
    Now I'm ready to see what I can do about making it go faster! I've tried to investigate different mods I can do online but it seems the only Subaru's you can modify is the Impreza, or at least, that's all I'm finding.
    Can you add a Turbo and essentually have yourself a GT? I noticed the engines are the same with the execption that the GT has a dual overhead cam. That and the trannies set up a little different. Any issues? What can I do?
    I'm not looking to build me an STI (though I've seen the STI kit for the Legacy, not bad but, it's a GT mod)
    What about wheels? I have 16" (standard) the GT comes standard w/17", can I get 18" or better without hurting the AWD?
    One other side note: Does anyone else have issues with the strength of the antena for the radio?
    I figured I could ask fellow Subaru owners/drivers for help, since they would be the one's that know!
    Ok a few things....

The non Subaru engines while they may be the same sizewise, they aren't really setup to be turboed. I've done it, but it's not easy or cheap.

I'd focus on brakes, supsnesion, tires, etc.

Start with tires and brakes, then move on to suspension.

Also you may want to get out and do an HPDE at a local race track which essentially is a driving school with your own car and instructor. This will be a great mod, it can be transferred to any car you own.

-mike
    Thanks Mike,
    The 2005 model year includes the 2.5l Subaru Boxer engine with similar displacements as the LGT. The GT has a dual overhead cam while the base & limited's have a single overhead cam. Otherwise, the engines are the same.
    I'd like to start with wheels and tires but I don't know what the limits are for size. When I've done any investigating on the subject I find that 17" wheels can be no problem and, since the GT sits on the same basic body and comes standard with 17" wheels, that's a no brainer. I was wondering if I could and if I should go bigger and if it make any sense or practicality.
    I appreiciate the fact that you also offer up a driving school of sorts. I, however, am not from Washington orginally and have actually learned to drive, even in snow! I also took the Skip Barber school of driving (open wheel racing) and learned to improve my technics. I'm also very framilar with 4wd & awd vehicles. I also grew up with muscle cars (rear wheel drive) and high horsepower. I'm not worried about losing control of my car.
    The ones I speak of are similar to Skip Barber, not really a driving school but more a high performance driving experience where you can take your car on-track and really push it to the limits, this is the best improvement you can make on the car.

As I said the engines are VERY different, even though the displacement is similar. For instance the compression ratio is different, the coolant and oil systems are different, ecu's are different, lots and lots of stuff that is just not worth turboing a non-turbo subaru car.

We did it on a 2.5RS before there were turbos available in the US. It cost about $2k after it was all done and was a real PITA to do.

For tires, I'd look at something like either an all-season ultra high performance tire or dedicated summer tires. Next I'd go for Hawk HP+ brake pads and SS Lines.

After that go for some upgraded springs and bilstien struts/shocks.

-mike
    I didn't realize there was such a difference between the two engines. So, what your saying is; I should trade in my 2.5 for a GT! haha I'd like to get all the performance I can out of my car but without the option of slapping a turbo in, I don't think I'll ever get to where I'd like to. I'm willing to spend some money but when your talking of all the things I'd need to do to get what I want; cost-wise I've moved myself into a GT already. Improving the handling by means of wheels, tires and suspension is one thing, but I'm also looking to improve my take off time. Maybe an exhaust and intake but still, I'm only talking; what?; 10; 15 HP? I feel my car has sufficient power to "get around town" but it lacks in climbing steady grades and a better suspension and tires will not improve that.
    Thanks for all your help Mike!
    Yup, in that case, yeah look for a LGT. I just hate to see someone spend good money after bad, since I've been there and done that (several times over).

If you want a stick, in a wagon you'll need to look for an 05 LGT Wagon as that's the only year they came in a stick.

Here is a pic of mine:

• woodyboywoodyboy Member Posts: 10
    I am trying to decide between a AT and MT in the 08 Legacy GT. I had an 04 OB 2.5i MT and it was lacking in the performance dept. I do alot of mountain freeway driving. Anyone have feedback on this?
    Also someone in an earlier post mentioned the need for 3,750 mile oil changes now required for the 08 GT's. This is the first I have heard about this. Does the turbo put that much stress on the engine?
    Someone also mentioned using a cat back exhaust and cold air intake. Are these reasonable modifications to wake up the car a little more. Are there other mods to consider? Do they work to really increase performance? What about warranty?
    Having driven a lot of the Subies out there, you definitely want an MT with any of the Turbo cars. The AT will be ok, but it won't allow you to keep it in the turbo range when you really want to pull. I have a bone stock 05 LGT w/5MT and it's a great setup. I hold my own on the track with some very very purpose built sports cars. The difference between a GT and a 2.5i is night and day. I've driven my brother in laws 2.5i w/AT v. my LGT w/MT and it's really quite different.

As for mods I'd do the SPT cat-back exhaust, but if you wait about a month I should have that on my car and can give some real-world feeback on it.

-mike
  • woodyboywoodyboy Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the input! Has anyone heard anything about the need for 3750 mile oil changes on the 08's? As far as I know the 08 GT motors are basically the same as the 05's. 3750 reminds me of the 911's I owned 20 years ago B4 kids.
    3750 is the recommendation for the 08s. They are the same as the 05-07 however due to owner neglect over the past few years (aka people did 10K+ changes) and then had warranty claims, SOA is protecting themselves by requiring the severe use oil change interval on the 08 turbos. I change mine every 5k +/- with synthetics and don't have a problem. They key to any extended oil change intervale beyond 5k miles is that your filter is really only good for 5k miles, so even though the oil itself may be good, your filter isn't.

-mike
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Any suggestions as to how the turbo lag in the '08 Outback XT with 5spd Auto can be reduced?

Traffic in my area is too heavy to tolerate a MT, but an earlier post here suggested the AT doesn't work well with the Turbo. I'd consider the H6 but my understanding is its low end torque is worse than the Turbos' !!

It's a pity the intelligent control I_S_S# includes makeing the throttle hair trigger tip-in instead of just readjusting the trans shift points and engine control remap.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    should also add that intelligent control apparently "neuters" the car if, when set to intelligent mode, bu cutting power 20%.

Some other reviewers commented this can drastically change how the car handles in emergency situations (stomp the pedal and you still have only 80% pf the vehicle's power). It would make more sense to make that power "harder to get to" when in intelligent mode, but still available if the driver __really__ needs it.
  • krowlkrowl Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I was wondering what it would take and what type of turbo i should get to put in my 1997 2.2L Subaru Legacy Wagon L model? also i need to now what kind of pistons i should get and anything else i would need to get to drop it in.
    Haaa, you are better off doing a motor swap.

Slapping a turbo onto a 2.2L NA motor is not a cheap or easy thing to do on a Subie. We've done this several times before the WRX came out with varying success.

You need:
    Turbo, oil lines, cooling lines, ecu, tuning, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, oil pan, and you still have the issue of compression, and these are just the basics.

For a swap you'll get a far more reliable power for your $. A swap usually runs about $6-8k depending on where you get it done, and where you source the motor.

-mike
  • imoutnow06imoutnow06 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 03 Legacy 2.5DOHC GT LTD and beleive it has potential what should be my first move to making this car FAST!!!!
    There is little to no potential in making it fast. the 03 Legacy GT was also a SOHC, not a DOHC.

At most you can get about 10hp gain out of it with a lot of money spent.

You are better off doing a motor swap (about $7-10k) or selling the car and looking for a turbo legacy or wrx.

Sorry but that is the reality of it, I've been tuning and working on subies for 10 years...

-mike
  • brian08brian08 Member Posts: 2
    Where is the best place to get a shop manual for an 08 H3
  • brian08brian08 Member Posts: 2
    Is there an adapter so that Yakima bars can be used with the subaru rails? I allready have the Yakima bars.
    I recall from the early days of the Forester that yes, Yakima made clamps for Subaru, at least for that model.

In fact now that I think about it, I think Subaru included Yakima-made accessories in its OE catalog.

You should be able to find them for yours, maybe even from a Subaru dealer or parts wholesaler.
  • kikoandkanitakikoandkanita Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if there is a way to open the hatch of a 2008 outback from the inside. I like to lay on the back with my dogs but if I lower the hatchback, it latches and the only way out is through the passanger doors. The dealership has no ideas. Any ideas on how to rig it? Thanks in advance.
    Not by design.

You may be able to rig something, though.

The trunk releases were only required on sedans.