Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Transmission Problems

Comments

• sparky56sparky56 Member Posts: 8
    For what it is worth, it looks like they issued a recall on the manual transmissions on July 15, per the NHTSA website.
  • sparky56sparky56 Member Posts: 8
    Make that July 15, 2010. We had to have the dealer replace our 6 speed in June.
  • kmarkell1kmarkell1 Member Posts: 2
    Please let me know if you find an answer to this question! I bought a Legacy on the exact same day as you and have experienced the same thing. I am the only one that drives my car and I am a relatively gentle driver- I've been babying it!

Thanks!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    Maybe it was lost in translation somewhere, but what engine and transmission does your car have? I'm thinking we must be talking about some sort of automatic, but that is as far as I can reasonably deduce.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • legacygt5285legacygt5285 Member Posts: 1
    When I accelerate from first to second the car jumps a little, it is an automatic. The jump is like a jolt or kick, feels like it might be a tranny problem. All the other gears shift pretty smooth and the car drives really good. Just seeing if anyones knows if this is an early, or late sign of a transmission slip or something simple. Thanks guys
  • mjmay9mjmay9 Member Posts: 1
    Same problem with our '11 Legacy. Hard down shift and it is not dependent on the driver. We like everything about the car except this one problem. Very annoying.
  • anemoneanemone Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same issue!!! I called Subaru Corporate over 140 times, I talked to Deloria Marshall.... 1-800-782-2783. I think she went to school to learn how to NOT help people, she is worthless!! But I called so many times she finally had no choice. They did fix it, I had to threaten with Lemon Law.

Your transmission is screwed up and they need to fix it!!!! Stay on it!

This is my third Subaru and my last, I will never own another Subi in my lifetime. Buick is supposed to come out with an AWD Wagon.
    So, what was done in order to fix it? I mean, other than the myriad phone calls, etc.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • molderbmolderb Member Posts: 7
    what did they do to fix it?? i was given a 7yr warranty. i'd like more info. to go back to them with. i still have the bump!
  • blundercrushblundercrush Member Posts: 1
    So my transmission has gone and I need to order a new one, I was looking online and I found descriptions of a transmission " 2002 SUBARU IMPREZA Transmission - Automatic Transmission, 2.5L, Outback & TS" I will call the company to confirm that it matches but I wanted a 2nd opinion on if the transmissions for the legacy and outback 2002 are the same?

Thanks for help in advance
    Yes, they all use the same 4EAT. The primary difference may be the speedometer calibration, so as long as you make sure to hang onto your current transmission and swap everything out between the two (wiring harness, etc), you should be good to go with your replacement.
  • fordh8rfordh8r Member Posts: 1
    It seems this is a common problem. My new Outback lurches when you slow almost to a stop and then accelerate. It's a 3.6 liter engine with 5-speed automatic transmission. This is just WRONG for a new car with under 500 miles on it. Any suggestions on how best to get this fixed? Others have reported similar problems with their transmissions, but no one reports success getting a fix from Subaru. I hope it's because, once fixed, no one comes back to this forum!
    My husband found a site for subaru technical updates and we had it applied at the dealer yesterday (2011 outback limited 3.6). I will have to see if it fixed the problem or not. I have had the jerking since the day I bought the car. This is my third visit with the issue. I wanted to take it in sooner, before my husband found the technical bulletins but subaru and the dealer told me there was no fix and ignored my problem. Corporate did give a free gold package after several phonecalls. I can get back to you with the version of that fix.
    Funny thing, in the mail also yesterday I recieved a letter from Kimmel & Silverman of lemonlaw.com saying that many subaru owners have contacted them with the same issue. They are offering means of compensation.
  • garyh6garyh6 Member Posts: 2
    I had exactly the same problem with my new Legacy.
    After reading the posts on this site when I took my car into the local dealership for its 7500 miles service I described the problem. They test drove it, verified the problem, and quote 'reprogrammed the transmission computer back to factory setting'. This immediately and complete fixed the problem. There was no charge. I read on another forum somewhere that reprogramming is the fix for this problem.
    The service bulletin #11-104-11/ SSMIII Update version 1.28.42.7

take this info to your dealer and tell them you want this technical update applied to your car.
  • jschlenker1jschlenker1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi...I don't know if this problem has been posted or not, but I have a '99 Outback/Legacy that has high miles, and all of a sudden the transmission has been shifting rough. The RPM's will increase, and then it will shift hard, and it won't shift into overdrive at all. We changed fluid and filter...no change. Do you think its electrical, like a sensor bad, or is it the whole transmission going bad? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    How does it do when initially putting it into gear from a stop? It seems that 1999 has a higher-than-normal incidence of transmission failures, and engagement delay is generally the first sign.

Hopefully, this is not the case with yours, but I wouldn't rule out needing to rebuild the transmission as a possible option.
  • jschlenker1jschlenker1 Member Posts: 2
    When initially putting into gear from a stop, it does fine, and it tends to shift better when cold. Do they have by chance a temp sensor? It seems to shift rougher as it warms up. Also, I bought the car used, and I believe they put on a 2000 Forester transmission. We just did a lot of work on the car changing out the timing belt/pulleys, head gaskets, valve job, and all of a sudden the transmission has started having trouble. I didn't know if there was any chance the electrical got messed up when we did the engine work. Any thoughts? Thanks!!!
    Possibly. Was the engine pulled from the car when they did this work? If so, they would have disconnected the connector(s) to the transmission. I can't remember if it is one or two, but it is located on the passenger side of the bell housing, near the top, and should be easy to access. If you pull the plug(s) apart, and then reconnect them, that should do the trick. You could also add some dielectric grease to the end of the female portion of the connector to ensure a solid connection.
  • mpm94mpm94 Member Posts: 2
    There is a reprogram for the transmission's computer. I had ine reporgrammed yesterday and the learching has stopped. Rob from SUbaru of America pushed the dealership to do it. I asked if there was going to be a recall, he said not unless enough people complain. THe dealership in Hartford told me I was the 1st customer to complain at this point. What a difference the reprogram has made!
  • mpm94mpm94 Member Posts: 2
    My 2011 Legacy 3.6R had the transmission's computer reprogrammed yesterday. The problem has stopped! ROb from Subaru of America pushed my dealer to fix it. As I was leaving the dealership after the reprogram was done, they told me that I was their 1st customer to complain about this issue.
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    It seems that this Lurching in the Tranny gear change is focused on 3.6R Auto Tranny, right?

If you go the Legacygt.com forum which I frequently goto, I have not found a single complaint posted about this. I have a 2010 Legacy 2.5i with the CVT Tranny. No problems to date.

The biggest problem posted on the forum is a "shimmy" Issue with 2010s, not sure if the 2011s have it. I didn't experience the shimmy issue either, but my car was Dealer Car which I bought as a CPO in February 2010. They did apply a number of TSBs automatically.
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    edited November 2011
    I had this updated taken care of yesterday and the lurching/jerking is completely gone. The service bulletin #11-104-11/ SSMIII Update version 1.28.42.7. It is for later 2011 and early 2012 models (3.6 H-6 models only...does not apply to the CVT 2.5). My dealer (Camelback, Phoenix) did not know of it, but quickly found the software fix to flash the computer. In and out in under 30 minutes without an appointment :)

-Karen in AZ-
    :shades:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Glad to hear they took care of you.
  • twigortwigor Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Outback manufactured in March 2011 that has the transmission lurching issue after you slow down and then accelerate. The issue just started around 9,000 miles. Has anyone else experienced the problem on the 2.5 CVT? Does the service bulletin referenced in previous post only address the 3.6L?
  • tgl3tgl3 Member Posts: 6
    i have the 3.6R and also posted this problem over a year ago. Dealer kept my car 2 days and told me it was normal and all the 3.6R are like that. For the last year have had to carefully feather the gas whenever speeding up after slowing down (otherwise it slams into low gear). Went to my dealer armed with the information from this thread, asked them to apply 11-104-11 and my problem is now fixed. thank you all.
  • dlanningdlanning Member Posts: 8
    please look at subaru recall notice for the manual trans. they had a oil passage that was not drilled and the rear cluster bearing pack. it will fail just like you are expericing. subaru should replace it for free also did you get a recall notace in the mail?. if not please call the dealear and ask them to run your vin numbers for recalls i am willing to bet your is on that list . i do belive that it doesent matter if you bought it used or not it's thier prolbem.
    You replied to me, but I've never had any trans issues with any of our 3 Subarus. Reliability on all mine have been exemplary.
  • dlanningdlanning Member Posts: 8
    OOps i thought it was you that was asking the question about the transmission .
    Any one? Buehler? Buehler?
    That was an old topic, but seems moons521 was the source in 2007. Hopefully, it's been fixed by now.. :blush:
  • dianesnowdianesnow Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I have had the same issue with my 2011 Outback 3.6. It is in the shop right now for the 3rd time. When I come to a rolling stop then turn, or if something runs across the street and I need to slow down to almost a complete stop, then hit the gas, the car jerks forward. The 1st time the dealership wasn't sure what to do about it, so they did a computer reset. Didn't work. It gradually started doing it again. Started out minor and very infrequent to more often and harsher jerking after a month. I took it again and they completely wiped the computer and downloaded a new program onto it hoping that would fix it. Well.. 3 months later it's doing it again. I read up on colorado lemon laws and if the same problem persists after 4 attempts and cannot be fixed within a year, then you need to proceed with negotiating with subaru. I bring my car to Shortline Subaru in Aurora, Co and they have been great. They are actually ordering a computer monitor from Subaru that is going to record all data from my car, so they can see what is causing it and possibly how to fix it. I spoke with them about what will happen if they can't fix it and they didn't act surprised or defensive. I spoke to the service manager and neither one of us mentioned lemon law, but we both knew what each other was implying. My impression from the conversation was that Subaru is going to do everything they can to fix the problem before pursuing other avenues, but if it comes down being unfixable, Shortline is going to do the honorable thing.
  • subyturtlesubyturtle Member Posts: 3
    Hi Diane,

Luckily for me with my 2011 3.6R the transmission completely stopped working within 2 months of buying it and under 2,000 miles. It had been doing the jerk thing when you slow down on a ramp and then speed up and it made a huge clunking sound upon reverse. One day I could not reverse so I had it towed to the dealer who confirmed that I had no transmission. Subaru worked with the dealer and gave me a brand new car.
  • carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    I've been all set to buy the 3.6 Limited, but am getting gun shine reading all these posts. I was thinking of buying the 3.6 because of all the head gasket problems the 2.5 have.

Are those of you who've had problems (3.6) sorry you got your car? I'm getting cold feet despite the fact that the Outback is the right car size wise for me.

BTW... have a Legacy Outback ('95) with 218,000 miles on it and no transmission problems whatsoever.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    The Forester has almost the same interior passenger room as the Outback: 1/4 inch narrower, but 1/4 inch more fore and aft. The 2011 Forester 2.5i has the new engine designed to eliminate the head gasket problem. The Forester XT has a different, stronger cylinder block that also does not have the problem.

You could save about $5,000 with the most expensive Forester over the 3.6 Limited. The Forester XT has in-town performance about the same as the 3.6.

I went from a 2005 3.0 VDC six Outback to the 2010 Forester XT. The Forester's back seat spacing is better.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Take a look at how many V6 engines Subaru sells in a year as a percentage of its cars and then ask yourself if buying one is a great idea.
    Take a look at how many V6 engines Subaru sells in a year

That would be exactly zero; definitely not a good idea to buy a V6 from Subaru.

Hahaha; I jest. :P
  • joeincojoeinco Member Posts: 3
    Six months ago I purchased an Outback 3.6 Ltd. because for the money I thought the car was a very good value. In my opinion the car is good looking, has AWD that is fantastic and the 3.6 engine was quick and smooth. Shortly after owning it I noticed it was very difficult to drive straight so I took it in to have the alignment checked, I was told it was out but they did not provide any details. I still felt like the car was a lot of work to drive but I thought I would just keep until the warranty was over then I would have someone else align the car to make it drive straight. In addition to this problem my wife and I both noticed transmission problems people have described as "lurching" or jerking. After discussing the problem we decided to take it in to be checked. After we picked the car up we were told that everything seemed to be fine and that it was operating as it should. It took the service writer 10-15 minutes of "BS" to finally admit there wasn't a fix at this point from Subaru. My wife and I could not believe we were having a problem with a brand new car. Finally we decided we would get rid of it losing both money and confidence in Subaru.

Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy whatever you end up doing either keeping it or getting something new, life’s too short to be unhappy!

Last week we bought a 2012 Toyota 4runner SR5 and life is good again!
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    Notwithstanding this transmission jerking issue I read here, which appears to affect the 3.6R models (Outbacks - Legacy too?), to correct poodog13, it is not a V-6 engine, but rather a Flat 6 similar to the 2.5 4 cylinder engine (Boxer design which Porche uses as well). The Tranny in the 3.6 is a 5 speed Auto Tranny, the 2.5i uses the CVT {I have a 2010 Legacy 2.5i}.

I look at a Subaru forum - Legacygt.org, I like to read the comments and various posts from the members. But I can't say I saw any complaints related to this problem. A big issue seems to be a car Shimmy issue which some members experience and others don't. From reading about that issue, I still have not been able to pinpoint from the posts whether the Shimmy afflicts both cars - 2.5 or 3.6 versions and/or cars with 16" or 17" wheels..
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Semantics as it relates to the crux of my earlier point, which is to say that as a general rule if the vast majority of the cars that a manufacturer makes falls under one powertrain configuration, you may want to stay away from the other small minority alternative.
  • desertnomaddesertnomad Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Our 2012 3.6R Outback is doing the same thing... slow down to about 10mph then accelerate and it lurches while finding a gear. Found this and am going to the dealer Friday:

Service Bulletin # 11-104-11
    Pages: 1

Bulletin Description: This is to announce that TCM reprogramming files are now available to rectify a harsh downshift on 3-2 downshift while slowing to 12-14 mph and then accelerating. Note: TCM reprogramming files were sent to all SDS users in the October 2011 SSMIII Update version 1.28.42.7

The tech note (which I found on another forum) says this was applied to production cars starting: 10/17/2011 VIN C2217396 for the Outback and10/12/2011 VIN C2008348 for the Legacy).

Hopefully that will fix it as it is rather discomforting and surely can't be good for the transmission in the long run.
  • toasted2toasted2 Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I recently bought a brand new Subaru Outback with pretty much every option we could think of....Unfortunately, within a very short period of time, we began to experience a very significant "clunk" in the transmission when accelerating from a rolling stop. I can't tell you how our hearts sank as we looked at one another...Since then it has happened a number of times over the past few weeks, but due to our busy schedules and being out of town much of the time we have not yet had the opportunity to get it into the dealership. When I spoke to the service guy at Subaru, he claimed it was normal...I can honestly tell you having owned vehicles for 25 years...I have never felt this type of a clunk in a transmission downshift ever...

Long story short...They said to bring it in and that they would check it out and make it right...Hopefully, I get a chance to get it in in the next couple of weeks...I'll let you know how it works out...This is our first Subaru, having recently changed from an Acura MDX...and thus far, I hate to say it...The vehicle has not lived up to its reputation.
  • tgl3tgl3 Member Posts: 6
    i had the same exact problem. i heard about "Service Bulletin # 11-104-11" on this thread. (it's an updated set of computer settings that they can flash onto your car's computer). it solved my problem completely. Ask you dealer if the flash ROM on Service Bulletin # 11-104-11 is appropriate for your car.
  • sobolol1sobolol1 Member Posts: 1
    I have 3500 miles on my 2011 Legacy 3.6 automatic, I am having what I believe is a transmission issue. When slowing down, then accelerating the car feels like it is getting hit from behind! I have had cars before with transmission issues and thats what it felt like, but when I take to the dealer they say its fine and cant feel what I am talking about. From reading some of these posts I see some people have the same issue, but how can I get it fixed, when the dealer wont even help me? Thanks in advance
  • dinomandinoman Member Posts: 68
    We bought a 2012 3.6R limited 4 months ago. We first noticed the same transmission issue at 1500 miles. The dealer reset the computer and it was good for a few months. The car has 6000 miles on it and it just started doing it again. My wife and I are very busy, so we are going to trade it for something else. I'm done with Subaru forever...which is sad because we really love this car.
  • tranny_paintranny_pain Member Posts: 2
    Are you satisfied now?
  • tranny_paintranny_pain Member Posts: 2
    My friend, please do not purchase the Outback 3.6 Limited. This is my first and last. The transmission rots and what can you do when at best they have a temporary fix? They should have a recall on these and a major fix. I even commented on the tranny when I bought it and sales said they just have to be broken-in. I've never been less than thrilled with any new car I've bought, am sick that I ever bought a Subaru. It's hard to believe they can get away with it, act like they've never heard of it when you bring it in. I pointed out an article on it to them that described it perfectly and the manager of service made it out like the author didn't know what he was talking about. Mine's better for the moment, but I'll be expecting the return of the thunk. The transmission is as rough as can be even without it.
  • dianesnow1dianesnow1 Member Posts: 3
    Hey subyturtle,

I wish we could have been so lucky. How's the new one? I was reading that the 2012's are having the same issues with jerky trans.
    Hi joeinco,

Your reply had a profound impact on us. We decided that what you and your wife did was the smartest and most hassle-free decision, and decided to copy you.

Just bought a silver 2012 4runner SR5 last night.

Like you, we lost confidence in Subaru. We didn't want to take a chance that it MIGHT get fixed. I don't think it will be long before "the cat is out of the bag" and when it is....nobody will get a good trade-in value because the dealerships won't be able to get rid of a defective car very easily. We got out while we had a good chance.

FYI.... Just in case you weren't aware......If you purchased an extended warranty you can cancel it and get some money back for the unused portion of it. We had the cost of ours added to the loan when we bought the car, so we will see a refund check from the bank in about 6 weeks.

Enjoy your 4runner! I know we are!
    Well...yes, but only because we just traded it in and bought a 2012 4runner.

The 3rd time I had it in the shop they downloaded the latest computer program and that was suppose to fix it, but actually made my car worse. The harsh jerking happened more frequently and also started harsh jerking during downshift. I was told to call 1800 SUBARU3 and start a claim. I did and their customer care department was great! They were in the process of trying to resolve the issue when we made the decision to buy a different car. We didn't want to deal with the problems anymore. We also were not comfortable with the uncertainty of it getting fixed. Even if they had chosen to give us a new car, I have been reading that some buyers of the 2012 OB 3.6 are having the same problems.