Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    gotta love those helpful replys.
    it may be best to fork over some money for some snow tires.
    they will cost up front, but will help you postpone the wear on your current tires. if you run them december through march, they should last at least 3-5 years depending on how much you drive.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    This is very good advice... You can probably get winter tires for the CR-V for under $400... It will make an incredible difference in your winter traction and handling..

And, as explorerx4 notes, your current tires will last longer, helping offset the cost...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    Yeah, you'll save a little on your regular tires that get a rest for 4 months/year, but any savings will be burned right up when they charge you up the wazzoo to mount/demount the tires twice a year. At this point, however, snow tires probably ARE your best/cheapest fix since you already own the CR-V 2WD.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Nah, just get them on a set of cheap steelies, probably $500 or so overall. Then you can mount and dismount them easily.

-juice
  • bob05bob05 Member Posts: 27
    >>>>Bob05,

I am cheap too. That being said, with all due respect, you were foolish to buy a vehicle known primarly for all wheel drive in a 2WD version IN BOSTON!!!!! What were you thinking? I live in Pittsburgh and here you have to special order the 2WD CR-Vs (and Explorers and everything else...dealers can't sell 2WD versions so none stock any). This was clearly a case of being penny wise and pound foolish. Particularly since CR-V IS the way to get AWD on the cheap! It and Subaru and RAV4 ARE the efficient AWD vehicles.
    >>>>

Daryll44;
    First, you are talking to a fellow Pittsburgher: I grew up in Irwin/Greensburg and went to Washington and Jefferson College.

Second, you are absolutely right: I was pennywise and pound foolish. Isell will recognize this: I was so intent on a bottom line price that I refused to open my mind to 4WD.

But third: in all my years of driving (Pittsburgh, Michigan, Boston), I've done well with FWD vehicles so long as I stay off the roads when there is really a lot of snow...yesterday was the exception rather than the rule.

However, fourth: a year after we bought the V, we also (unexpectedly) bought a lot on a pond at the end of a three mile mud road in New Hampshire...can't get through Nov-April w/o 4WD. I am intending to upgrade to 4WD at some point, so I'm not likely to put snow tires on if the money can go to an upgrade. I may talk to my saleswoman or her finance guy about the impact on my payment of a switchout/trade-in on an 06...mine has 14,000 in mint condition, so if she gives me the right deal, I might do it.

I do know that I don't want to feel as foolish as I did yesterday leaving the V on the side of the road as I walked to the elementary school in a blizzard (and back). :blush::blush:

Hey Varmint: how did you make out in the storm?
    Well, you might be cheap (again, I confess that I also am a fellow cheapskate) but you have a good education from W&J. I guess I was a little caustic, in rereading what I wrote. Sorry about that. Anyway, there is SOME good news. And that is that you not only have a Honda, but a CR-V. Honda's hold their values best and the CR-V in particular. So while swapping up to an '06 AWD is still gonna cost you, it's not gonna be nearly as bad as if you had, say, an '05 Escape which is a depreciation monster. I once got rid of a car (a 1988 Lincoln Continental) in 3 weeks and lost $7500 (and that was in 1988 dollars). I just couldn't stand that car...my first FWD vehicle and I could not get used to the ride. Anyway, my point is that as long as you have your health and don't make too many financial mistakes, an occasional wallet-blooper happens. If you really need the AWD now then suck it up and move on!
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Circumstances change. Happens to everyone. I had to trade in a perfectly good 1999 CR-V with only 115K miles on it a little over a month back.

I had no difficulty with the storm, but that's because I didn't have to drive in it. I'm home on vacation for a while. (Taking care of the critter.) The wife had the MDX, but, by the time she was heading home, the roads had been plowed and salted (ugh). We went out to dinner that night and I had a little fun on an unplowed street. Nothing challenging, though.

Now, last year was a bit more fun. I had the CR-V then and took a few drives with 10-14" of snow on the roads. Not easy, but I got through it.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    darrll... i've got to ask, if you had an '88 lincoln, why are you posting on a cr-v thread 17 years later?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    if you had an '88 lincoln, why are you posting on a cr-v thread 17 years later?

Maybe because the boards weren't here 17 years ago? ;)

tidester, host
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Nah, just get them on a set of cheap steelies, probably $500 or so overall. Then you can mount and dismount them easily.

-juice

Tirerack has a Honda CR-V package with 16 inch alloys and Scorpions for $640. Tires are already mounted and balanced, fady for install. In the spring, you just swap out the wheels, no need to pay someone to change the tires. And out the winter ones in storage for the next winter. People here get 4 winters out of a set of winter tires.

What I see wrong with the Bostonian with 2WD, why do school demand that kids get picke dup right away. The meteorogists knew it was going to end in an hour or two. Why not just wait it out. Let the plows clean the roads, and then ask parents to pick up their kids?

When we get sudden blizzards, everyone rushes home and I just wait it out. The roads are all clogged with aggrivated people, while I am just doing some extra work in peace and quet. Then, by 6 pm, there is no one on the roads, and the plows have finished plowing. I get a smooth ride home.
    $640 is fair, and I wouldn't even get alloys for my snow tire set, since they treat the local roads with salt and other chemicals. Steelies would be cheaper.

-juice
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    What I see wrong with the Bostonian with 2WD, why do school demand that kids get picke dup right away. The meteorogists knew it was going to end in an hour or two.

Actually it was a completely unexpected freak low pressure system that popped up - all the meteorolists said they had never seen anything like it.

Also, the roads around Boston were a complete horror show into the evening. At 7 PM when I was driving home, the interstate I was on (93N) was a parking lot. I got off and went back roads. It only took me an hour to drive 16 miles.

As for the OP, I wouldn't worry about the 2WD. Snows will make it better but for the most part Friday's storm was a freak of nature. If you've done OK with FWD all these years, you shouldn't worry. As for your place on the pond, I doubt even an AWD CRV will get you there in the middle of winter.
  • courtney89courtney89 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2003 CRV, Friday, loud clunking noise began, drove the 1/2 mile to dealer. Saturday they tell me all four bolts are gone from drive shaft, have to order bolts, and then check to see what damaged was caused getting it to dealer. It has 17,000 miles, never driven off road and only dealer has worked on it. Any similar experiences.
    What are my chances this is covered by warranty?
  • blueboyjocksblueboyjocks Member Posts: 36
    I placed an order for CRV security system this morning at H and A - accessories.com. When I check my bank account online, the customer service told me that H and A - accessories.com has charged my card twice. I sent an email to H and A - accessories.com but so far I have no any response from them. The phone number on their website 1-888-440-8655 is NOT A WORKING NUMBER.. This is really frustrated me as a first time buyer.

Does anyone have this experience like this :confuse: ? I plan to buy ALL my CRV accessories from H and A - accessories.com but this first time buying experience makes me think twice to do bussiness again with H and A - accessories.com. :cry:
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Never had a problem with them.

Did they charge your account twice for the full amount or were there 2 charges? Sometimes, Visa/MC put a hold on funds until the actual charge goes through.
    "Did they charge your account twice for the full amount or were there 2 charges? Sometimes, Visa/MC put a hold on funds until the actual charge goes through."

At this point, I don't know. I buy almost everything online (except groceries :) )even the car and never have such problem that seller hold my funds twice as much as the purchase amount. I know they do that at gas station if you pay with your debit card. I just checked again my email and still no response from H and A - accessories.com :sick:
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    The phone number on their website 1-888-440-8655 is NOT A WORKING NUMBER.

I just called that number and "Bill" from H and A Accessories answered on the third ring.
    Bill? You mean ASIMO isn't working today?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let's avoid naming sales people! :)

tidester, host
    I placed an order for CRV security system this morning at H and A - accessories.com. When I check my bank account online, the customer service told me that H and A - accessories.com has charged my card twice. I sent an email to H and A - accessories.com but so far I have no any response from them. The phone number on their website 1-888-440-8655 is NOT A WORKING NUMBER.. This is really frustrated me as a first time buyer.

Does anyone have this experience like this ? I plan to buy ALL my CRV accessories from H and A - accessories.com but this first time buying experience makes me think twice to do bussiness again with H and A - accessories.com.

I have seen double charges on the account updates on line, but they never show up on the bill itself at the end fo the month. One charge is hold, and the second charge is the actual charge. Once the money is tranferred, the hold is released.

As to non-working number, you are probably in a different time zone. If you are in the north-east, Fair Honda is a better alternative as you get most of your stuff in a day or two, instead of week or week and a half from H and A (California) Check out www.fairhondapartsforyou.com and if there is soemthing you don't see, call them and ask for it. Unlike H and A, who state that whatever is not on the website is not for sale, EVERY SINGLE Honda part is available from Fair Honda. They even offer free shipping if you talk to the right person. But, I can't post names. E-mail me for contact person for free shipping.
    It's their Holiday 2-for-1 special expect that means they charge you twice. :P

-juice
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    When was it first put in to service? If less than 36 mos. (which it should be since it's an '03), it'll be covered.
    Just want to up date about this issue. I have received an email from H and A - accessories.com. and the problem is solved. I just check online, I should receive this on 12/16. :)

Thank's for all response and concern. :blush:
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    Another ex-Pittsburgher (Here we go, Stillers!) weighing in, currently a New Englander and much in favor of the AWD CR-V.

I have the Goodrich all-season OE tires on my AWD 2005 EX. Brought home our Christmas tree during the storm you speak of, and Saabgirl, my missus, said, "Oh, don't try to lug the tree through the snow all the way to the back deck. Just drive through the yard (and about 10" of snow). You have AWD."

What the heck,I went for it. And I prolly woulda made it, too, except the yard has a little grade to it, and the Honda was slipping slightly sideways while chugging steadily uphill through the white stuff. Our course looked like it would take us into assorted trees and shrubs. So I aborted the little off-road adventure and, fortunately, the CR-V had no trouble backing out of the snow-covered yard into the freshly plowed driveway. No harm done.

So, I'd say the CR-V does well under adverse conditions in a heap of the white stuff.

Problem is that the spinning and sliding tore up the snow cover in the side yard and the missus is of the opinion that I should go out there with my snow shovel and smooth it all out before Christmas company begins to arrive. (Oh, sure, dear. Just in case Martha shows up with a photographer, I suppose.)
    is VERY steep. The CR-V with the stock Dueler tires (I'd rather have Michelin and will install them when these go...at about 20,000 miles or less around here) was a CHAMP! Went RIGHT UP in steep ice/snow. CR-V passes the test. If it can handle my driveway, it's good for any on-road challenge it might face.
    Sounds like you were putting too much pressure on the gas pedal. :-)
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    Possibly, but I was just trying to keep 'er moving, which we were doing pretty well considering the depth of the snow cover. Problem was that a side yard that has plenty o' room when you're riding a lawnmower in summer gets kinda cramped in the winer when you're driving a CR-V. (Who the heck moved those apple trees so close to the house?) The margin for error just got too small for comfort.

But my CR-V is doing well in the white stuff, even with all weather Goodrich passenger car tires pumped to 32 psi.

Only problem I've had is that one remote crapped out. A dealer who's about 10 minutes away (but I didn't buy the car there because they weren't low bidder) gave me a new remote, no hassle at all, no problem getting in. My experience with the CR-V and Honda dealers has been great.
  • tamarastertamaraster Member Posts: 107
    I don't have anything pertinent for this discussion, but I've had my CR-V (2005 EX) for about 4 months now and I just love, love, love this car. By this point of ownership of my last car (a turbo Passat wagon) I was already having big second thoughts. I can't say enough good things about the CR-V. The great snow handling, now that I've gotten to try it, is just the icing (so to speak) on the cake.
  • andrew983andrew983 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 2004 Honda CR-V & recently it passed 8000 miles ready for it first schedule maint. What I want to know is how much would it cost? I live in AZ, USA & what is it involve/checks also is it best to take my car to my Honda dealer for this maint? Thanks
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    All the maintenance items should be in your owner's manual and you're in AZ so use the severe schedule. Though you can do these yourself, or have your friendly mechanic do them, or I'd recommend the dealer. But make sure they don't do items that aren't in your owner's manual.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you how much we think that service should cost for your zip code.

Steve, Host
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    My experience with the CR-V and Honda dealers has been great.

Honda knows how to build cars well, and knows how to treat customers! Good thing it wasn't a VW! I don't think they have a german word for "customer service" or "reliable"! ;)
    By this point of ownership of my last car (a turbo Passat wagon) I was already having big second thoughts.

Is your customer service noticably better or worse at the Honda dealer (do you use a dealer?)? Congrats on the car, they are great vehicles!
    Is your customer service noticably better or worse at the Honda dealer (do you use a dealer?)? Congrats on the car, they are great vehicles!

The buying experience was equally good in each case, I thought. As far as service goes, I didn't like the fact that when I took the Passat to the dealer, at about 23K miles, I needed a $500 brake job that a regular brake place couldn't do because the Passat has Fancy Magic Brakes of some kind. (It remains to be seen whether I'll need new pads or whatever after 23K miles in the CR-V; I very well may.) And I hated that I could only get new windshield wiper blades at the dealer (again, they were apparently Fancy Magic Blades) and they cost over $100 for all 3 (front plus back), and they never worked well to begin with, and degraded quickly.

As far as the actual service, I never had any problems. I haven't taken the CR-V in for its first service yet, so I can't comment on the Honda people.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    My 1st full tank of gas yielded 17.5 mpg, & I couldn't be happier. Given that my weekday driving consists mainly of a 3 mile drive to the railroad station in the morning & a 3 mile drive back home at night, my CR-V (an '06 EX 5M delivered on 11/12) doesn't run long enough to fully warm up. When you factor in the unseasonably cold weather we've had in the Northeast, you can understand why I'm positively ecstatic about this mileage figure.

My previous station car, a '92 Ford Taurus with the optional 3.8L V-6, typically returned < 10 mpg under these conditions.

(But I do miss the sweet smell of antifreeze.)
    I know what you mean. With my new MDX I was getting 21-22 mpg in mixed driving. But for the past two weeks, I've been home playing Mr. Mom and the MDX has only made in-town trips. MPG is currently 20 according to the trip computer.
    I understand completely. Try combining errands, i.e. pick up groceries and dinner on the way home, car pool in with someone else, etc.

-juice
  • tbirdcdrtbirdcdr Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purchasing a 2006 CR-V LX FWD and would like to know if the PTTR problem described in many previous messages still exists on the 2006 model.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Well, according to the Guide, all 2003 EX CR-Vs are MT only. There was no option for Automatic Transmission.

Famous quote of 1865 that applies here:

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the show?"
    Good suggestion. I do that when running my weekend errands & whenever possible during the week.
    Or buy a scooter. I mean, if you're just going back and forth to a train station, the scooter should get the job done. Weather permitting it might be useful enough to pay for itself in gas savings.
    Dunno about that, varmint. I work from home 2 days per week, so the most cost-effective fuel conservation measure available to me might be to simply convince my employer to up that to 3 days per week.

In any case, replacing my old Taurus with the CR-V has cut my fuel outlays nearly in half. Having a fully-functional sound system & 4 working windows (the Ford's rear windows stopped working a couple of years ago) is frosting on the cake.
    The buying experience was equally good in each case, I thought. As far as service goes, I didn't like the fact that when I took the Passat to the dealer, at about 23K miles, I needed a $500 brake job that a regular brake place couldn't do because the Passat has Fancy Magic Brakes of some kind. (It remains to be seen whether I'll need new pads or whatever after 23K miles in the CR-V; I very well may.) And I hated that I could only get new windshield wiper blades at the dealer (again, they were apparently Fancy Magic Blades) and they cost over $100 for all 3 (front plus back), and they never worked well to begin with, and degraded quickly.

If it is any consolation, my father had a 2003 Accord whose brake pads (front) were worn prematurely and making a rough sound at stopping. It only had 14k miles on it, and my Honda dealer replaced them under warranty. I know we have different dealers (i'm in alabama), but maybe this kind of caring will be passed around to different dealers! (Also, the brake job on our 2002 CR-V was under $200, but I'm not sure of normal cost. I got wiper blades at the dealer months ago, $5.15 on the receipt I found, not $100. Welcome to the family, tamaraster! (Although, I can't attest to the blades being fancy or magic, they certainly wipe clean.)
    I'm definitely happy to have non-fancy, non-magic blades that actually work! And will be cheap to replace!
  • 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    Things I like...

1-Handles nicely
    2-Motor is fast for a 4 cylinder, as well as quiet.
    3-Nicely put together, no squeaks or rattles.
    4-Loads of safety features makes me feel safe.
    5-Brilliant use of making a small vehicle feel large inside
    6-The spare tire has an aluminum rim that matches!

Things I dont like...

1-Road noise on the highway which I knew before I bought it is excrustiatingly loud. Wishful thinking on my part that it would go away. I think it will take new tires to help that.
    2-Seats are just plain hard. Hope that doesn't become a problem on long trips.
    3-The steering wheel controls don't light up.
    4-Headlights dont come on automatically like all the other cars I have driven for 15 years have had.
    5-Spare tire on the outside makes it hard to keep clean back there. Again, I knew this before I bought it.
    6-Stereo sound quality is adequate at best.
    Not a bad idea. I had one on campus when I was in college, those things were great to get around.

1984 Honda Aero 125cc, fun little thing, but it was air cooled so it would overheat. The Elite 150 came out a couple of years later and was water cooled. Pick up a used one of those, should cost well under a grand.

-juice
    Regarding CR-V roadnoise: For what it's worth, I rode in my friends newish Jeep Liberty. It was MUCH louder than my 2005 CR-V. And not as refined...I have the CR-V SE and he has a Liberty Limted. Should be comparable. And his gas mileage is a WHOLE lot worse. His was somewhat cheaper, however, after all the game/rebate/gimmicks that Honda avoids.
    I noticed that it's tough to align the hard cover for the spare tire on my CRV-SE. So after playing with it for a long time and getting it just right, I did the following that some of you might want to do to...to make the word HONDA look right across the back of the vehicle.

I put a dab of touch up paint on the fabric zipper area as well as a dot on the windshield wiper. The two dots of paint align. So you no longer have the problem of being sure the lettering is straight without being able to see it since you are on top of it aligning it. The paint can be any color, really, since it's only a dab and can't be seen unless you look behind the spare tire.

Just be absolutely sure you have "HONDA" absolutely straight across the back to begin with. It might take 4 or 5 times back and forth...and stand WAY back to be sure it looks straight.
    Good idea. I believe a similar principal is used when removing/replacing suspension components to keep the alignment in spec.

Liberty is a full-frame truck, and those tend to be noisier than unibodies.

-juice
  • 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    my friends newish Jeep Liberty. It was MUCH louder than my 2005 CR-V.And not as refined

I have no argument there about refined. I found that my new CRV is even more refined than when I first test drove it. It is amazingly taut. I attribute the road noise to the piece of junk Dueller tires. Once they wear out I can get something much quieter Im sure.

Sure the CRV is a little more expensive then the cheaper Liberty, but wow, wait until its trade-in time. The CRV will be worth almost double. That is no exaggeration, go ahead and price them used on the net or in the paper. Thats one of the reasons why I bought it. I drive 30K miles a year so resale is very important. The only vehicle which holds its value better is a Corvette. You look at the price on either vehicle and you scratch your head and ask why someone wouldn't just pay a few thousand more and get the vehicle new.

2 Year