Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Towing/Trailer Hitch Questions

Comments

• 4my2boys4my2boys Member Posts: 7
    We just purchased a 2008 Odyssey without the tow hitch. What's the best way to get one added on and the best price. Should we go through the dealer or is there another way to purchase it and have someone put it on?

Thanks
  • bikechuckbikechuck Member Posts: 15
    I also purchased a Thule. It does wobble even with the screw tightened through the receiver hitch, I called Thule and they said that they deliberately make them small because over time the receiver hitch will rust and as it does the fit will be progressively more snug. They said that if they made it to fit snug when new, a year or two from now it would not go in the receiver hitch.
  • sotolsotol Member Posts: 2
    Between the mechanic, RV service department and Honda dealer I worked with, I found that the Honda dealer was was the absolute worst informed of all about specific hitch or hitch-related parts or their availability. Since the actual hitch receptical was in back-order from Honda at the time I modified my van, my RV dealer called around--found one in another state, got it shipped to his shop & they installed it. For the Class 2 hitch recepticle & ball hitch w/labor, it cost around $430. The Honda owner's manual recommended a Transmission cooler, and a transmission shop installed it for around $180. When I put the trailer on the hitch, the back end of my van was too close to the ground--looking like it was dragging and the chassis was raised higher off the front tires. The ride home with the trailer was bumpy and the hitch bottomed out on the pavement a couple times. After doing more research, I found the air shocks to be the next modification that was recommended to fix the bottoming-out situation. I also found an air compressor installed on the dash would enable me to inflate/deflate them as needed. Without the air compressor, you'd have to find an air hose to do the job & do it manually. Most campsites wouldn't have such things so I spent the extra money for the compressor & am glad I did. I ordered the parts online and they were overnighted to me. My RV dealer wouldn't install them, but he knew of other mechanics who worked on "Fleet" RV/Trucks who agreed to do the job. That cost another $500. All the modification to my van ended up making the trailer substantially more secure feeling, it didn't bounce around much & I never bottomed-out on the pavement. The ride was extremely smoother with those air shocks, too. Also I can pull more weight safely than I could without the tranny cooler and air shock/compressor.
  • 03vifferguy03vifferguy Member Posts: 2
    04 Ody - without tow pkg. I am looking to install the hitch; http://www.trailerhitches.com/trailer-hitches/curt13561class3hitch.cfm

I will be towing a utility trailer that weighs 400#s with 3 dirtbikes that weigh 570 combined for a total of <1000 #s. This will be with 2 adults and three kids with gear for camping etc travelling about 5+ hours at highway speeds.

Questions; tranny cooler? yes or no. Any one familiar with this hitch? How finnicky is the wiring for this vehicle?

Any and all responses are greatly appreciated.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    I would highly recommend the tranny cooler. Based on the history of Odyssey trannies, it seems like a small price to pay for some insurance. Honda also recommends a power-steering fluid cooler. While I'm not sure why, again, it's probably not too expensive if you can do the work yourself. I'm guessing anyone with 3 dirtbikes isn't afraid of wrenches.

Off subject: Gotta ask... 5 people and 3 bikes. Mom a party-pooper? I've tried for years to get my wife on a bike and finally threw in the towel and bought her a quad. She doesn't like that either... "too dirty" she says.. :confuse: Fortunately, it's my toy in the winter and my son, who's outgrown his bike, uses it fairly often the rest of the year and seems to prefer it over two wheels.

Also... does the "viffer" in your name have anything to do with a Honda VFR?
  • 03vifferguy03vifferguy Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate the word on the coolers. I need to do some research as to where the lines connect and do you drain the tranny, are there any gotchas with the shifting adjustments
    3 bikes/5 folks; The wife is a little throttle/brake challenged but loves to camp, although she does go out on a quad (Polaris 800) when we are on the farm. She rode a bike a couple of times when we were teens and offed both times. The other is my daughter, she's not quite up to speed for the little CRF80 but we are working on that. I have a CR250, my sons, 16 year old and a 10 year old, ride CR125 and CRF80.
    Yes the viffer is all about my VFR, I have an 03 silver ABS and love it.
    Any advice on the fluid draining, or is it covered in the instructions?
    I've looked at the instructions and it doesn't seem too bad... no need to drain the tranny, it appears. I need to get set up for my wife's van.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/odyatf.pdf

I had a '96 VFR, bought new... got rid of it a few years ago (and hit the dirt) when my commute to work changed and put me on more hazardous/congested roads. :cry: The timing worked out okay since that's when my kids were ready to venture out of the yard and do some real riding. Every year around March/April the bug hits again... I've been keeping an eye on the '07 red, white, and blue Interceptor (VFR)... I think that could be the one that gets me back on!
  • aikidriveraikidriver Member Posts: 2
    We're about to purchase an 09 Odyssey, and need to tow a small trailer with a beach catamaran and laser sailboat loaded on it. The boats together probably weigh around 480lbs... I haven't weighed the trailer (it's in storage right now) but it's one of those steel frame things people use for small craft, maybe 250-300lbs?

The sales people want to sell the towing package, of course, and one dealer warned me that I'd have to worry about voiding the warranty "if I towed too much without the towing package". So, can anyone who has a manual or warranty handy (which I haven't found on the web) tell me what the actual official weight limit is for towing without the coolers/etc?

And, do you have to get the Honda hitch/harness to keep the warranty, or can you get a third party version?
  • Shawkins22Shawkins22 Member Posts: 7
    I have an aftermarket wiring harness on my 2009 Odyssey. The $125 for the Honda unit is a bit absurd. If your trailer has the 4-pin flat connector, then this is the wiring harness I recommend: http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH~118438.htm

It has a Honda interface and installs much the same way as the Honda unit does, only its $40. Honda should have no issue with it.
  • bdmoorebdmoore Member Posts: 1
    We have '08 Odyssey, paid the dealer for the trailer pkg to keep the warranty valid, but they only provide a flat four-pin connector. We hope to tow a pop-up camping trailer, & most come with electric brakes & a round 6-pin connector. Anybody have any do's or don'ts about which make & model of brake controller to buy & install?
  • Shawkins22Shawkins22 Member Posts: 7
    I went with the wiring harness I linked to above from etrailers.com, along with this 4-pin to 7-pin adpater http://www.etrailer.com/p-ETBC7.htm?search=1

It is a nice kit with everything you'll need. Also recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller.
  • bernikenberniken Member Posts: 18
    I did my 07 last year. Re the harness, I agree with Shawkins (March 6). I also bought the same harness same price on line, instructions were good, kit complete. Note you need to add a fuse in the panel inside passenger front door, but this is explained. You need to add a fused power supply from your battery (install an in-line fuse next to battery) thru the firewall (find a grommet for other stuff and pierce in the edge) into the drivers side. This goes to controller. Also need to splice into the switched side of the brake switch above the pedal (tells the controller that you are braking). Then run a 12 ga wire from controller to rear compartment. You can stuff it under the plastic trim easily. It comes out beside the spare. Finish your connections with a 6 or 7 prong connector with a long pigtail and flip it out under the tailgate when needed.
    My research said Prodigy was the best controller - not the cheapest. But this is no place to be cheap. Mine is just great with 3000 lb 14' box Fleetwood Pop-up.
    Good luck!
  • triathlonjtriathlonj Member Posts: 25
    Hi. We just purchased our 2009 Odyssey EX-L 2 days ago. I want to put a 2" receiver hitch on the car. I'm not towing anything with the car - the hitch is just for my Yakima hitch-mount 4-bike rack. Of the hitches out there (OEM, U-Haul, Hidden Hitch, Curt, etc) which one of them is the least conspicuous?

I find myself laughing when I see cars with the "Hidden HItch" brand name, and the cross-tube and hitch are hanging well below the bumper in plane site, with the "Hidden Hitch" decal in full and plain view.

Do any of the hitches sit tight to the bottom of the car, and have their cross tube somewhat concealed behind the bumper?

Thanks!
    Least visible was my goal also, but price & availability was a problem. I compromised based of price and fit. Hidden Hitch had better sightline, but did not fit in spite of mfr claim.
    From my June 08 blog: I used "Putnam class III hitch (for 2"X2" drawbar), part # 25238. No need to remove anything except the rearmost exhaust pipe hangar temporarily. No drilling except that the holes did not line up exactly, requiring a half hour of round file use to open up a couple. (I had tried a Hidden Hitch first, but its hole alignment was worse.) I read the Honda brand hitch instructions on-line, and it requires bumper removal as it fits up a bit higher and interferes with the bumber, requiring the trim. With 300# tongue weight and an equalizing hitch, I have had no particular problem with the hitch touching down in driveways. You will find more variety of specialty drawbar attachments for bike racks etc if you go to the class III. The six metric bolts come with the hitch. If not with yours, be sure to confirm the bolt is 12 mm. Installation (after filing) is only 15 minutes. Use a torque wrench for sure! "
    Horizontal tube is round pipe - not bad. Fit is closer to bumper than some. Bumper removal is not reqd - just drop the tailpipe hangar and install that end first.
    ! Before you order - Make sure Honda did not change bolt pattern again ! A comparison of hitch part numbers from 2 or 3 vendors for the 2007 and 2009 should confirm.
  • jcalderonjcalderon Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 Honda Odyssey exl without the hitch (stupid mistake). Now My boys are old enough to ride their bicycles and I am considering putting a hitch on the vehicle. If I am going to put the hitch, I also want to get a hitch that is capable of towing a trailer (for the future). Any recommandations on whether I should have the hitch installed by the dealer or a private company?
    See my several posting on the subject over the past year or so. Dealer may try to arm-twist you to add tranny cooler and PS fluid cooled, neither needed for light loads. Tranny cooler a good idea for long hauls with heavy trailer (say over 1000 lb), and can be added later when you need it. Definitely go for the Class 3 with 2-inch square drawbar - provides most options for bike racks and trailers. With rack you do not need the lighting harness.
    Shop around. Don't install your self unless you are prepared to fiddle with bolt holes that do not line up just right.
  • gmodgmod Member Posts: 2
    Have the OEM hitch installed if you want the most concealed hitch. I have a 2008 that the dealer installed the OEM hitch on. While they do have to notch the bottom of the bumper cover, it raises the hitch almost 2 above the best aftermarket ones. It look so much better that any of the other hitches on Odysseys I've seen. I'm sure it's not the most inexpensive route to take, but the dealer "threw" it in as an incentive to purchase our vehicle (along with the rest of the towing package that you don't appear to need). My only complaint is not with the hitch, but the soft brakes. I can't stop with my boat, even after just having the VCM modulator replaced per the new TSB (#07-045).
  • rmandormando Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Odessy which I am using to tow a jayco pop up trailer. The problem is that this drops the vehicle so low that I scrape pulling in or out of my driveway. I also have a bike rack the trailer dealer suggested which goes between the trailer and tow vehicle. This drops the hitch to within inches of the road. Does anyone have any idea how a pair of airbags would work out and how much I should expect to pay?
  • 4my2boys4my2boys Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2008 Odyssey and I am looking for a hitch to purchase that will be used for hauling bikes. I currently have a bike rack that is used on our Toyota Highlander and believe that it has a 2" opening (don't know the terminology). I would like to have a hitch installed on the van that can also use the bike rack so that we don't have to purchase a new one. Any recommendations on where to purchase one and if it's possible to get a square 2" for the Odyssey.

Thanks
  • kfriesenkfriesen Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 odyssey with a 2" trailer hitch. I mainly use it for bike racks but would like to pull a tent trailer. I have been reading the previous posts about what I would need to pull the trailer. http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH~118438.htm (the T-one wiring harness). http://www.etrailer.com/p-30637.htm (the 4 pole to 6 pole adaptor).

Would I still need http://www.etrailer.com/p-ETBC7.htm?search=1 (brake controller kit)?

There was a lot of discussion about tranny and power steering which I dont think I need. If anyone has any suggestion please let me know
  • cesar8cesar8 Member Posts: 1
    I tried to install a U-Haul hitch in my 2006 Honda Odyssey. I was able to put 4 out of 5 bolts on place. Because of hitch holes misalignment, I damaged one of the nut thread that are welded on the frame. I made 2 of hitch's holes bigger with a round file. But, but now one of the frame welded nut's thread is damaged.

Any idea how/where to get frame welded nut thread fixed ?
    Only reasonable fix, other than getting the hitch welded to the frame, is to buy a 12 mm tap (get the correct thread pitch by taking a bolt to the store to match. ) You will need a wrench to turn it, best is a tap holder, but that adds $$ for just one use.
    Carefully !! start the tap into the hole trying to get it to engage the existing threads. "Chase" the threads in about an inch or so. The bolt will then go in. Use a torque wrench to finish tightening.
  • poolbanditpoolbandit Member Posts: 1
    can you tell the best way to put a ps cooler on an 07 odyssey thanks bill
  • merk850merk850 Member Posts: 14
    I just traded up from my 2000 EX to the 2009 EX-L. The aftermarket sites seems to sell the same hitch for both the 2000 and 2009. Can I assume that I can take my old hitch offf the 2000 and put it on the 2009?

Thanks for the info.
    Chech very carefully. My 2000 hitch would not fit my 2997. Big co-incidence if Honda went back to the same dimensions for 2009. Relatively easy (penetrating oil and/or heat plus a good wrench) to pull it off your 2000 and you will not likely get anything for it on the trade, so if no fit, just scrap it, give it away or sell it. Note, you may get away with filing out the bolt holes for a fit. I had to do 20 minutes filing anyway for fit on the so-called proper part for the 07.
    I believe this is what you seek...

This is the complete towing package installation .pdf... hitch, wiring, tranny and ps coolers. For the ps cooler, go to page 10 (step 38).

http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/05tow.pdf
  • merk850merk850 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks Berniken
  • iromero77iromero77 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Here is a great website where I just purchased a hitch for my 2004 Odyssey. It is a very easy installation, no drilling or welding required. I purchased it for a bike rack as well.
    http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/112H.html?mv_pc=yahoo_odyssey- _hitches
  • tom200tom200 Member Posts: 11
    Would appreciate some recommendations for a 2008 odyssey hitch. Mostly for bike carrier. I'm online now looking at dozens of different brands. The Honda version $240 pre shipping and requires bumper removal. Is it worth it? Aftermarket brands go from $116to $175 including shipping and seem straight forward to DIY install. I want it to look good as well.

Thanks, :)
  • aandaaanda Member Posts: 2
    Like you, I have been looking for a hitch but all seem to hang below the bumper except for the OEM.

I found this link in another forum that shows pictures of the OEM installation on a 05 Odyssey.

http://dcimbackup.com/ody/hitch/

Hope this helps.
  • kshorttkshortt Member Posts: 1
    I am reusing a U-Haul hitch (model #36279) that was previously installed onto the same make and model vehicle. (2K HO)

I was given not kit with fasteners. I found the install instructions on line at uhaul.com. https://www.uhaul.com/publication.ashx?fileName=36279.pdf

The hitch has 6 holes (3 per side). Two of them on each side are 12mm bolts that thread into welded nuts (already in place.) After buying a tap to clean out the nuts, I easily (well...a little effort) managed to get the bolts fastened and tightened to 75 ft. lbs. (per the spec).

My problem lies with the remaining carriage bolts. These are required to be fed from the inside of the frame with the nuts on the underside. Getting this accomplished will required more work and hassle as the wholes in place do not allow for the size of my carriage bolt head. Are the carriage bolts required?

I have searched and found other installations that only require the four bolts and nothing further. I believe it was a draw-tite hitch that I viewed.

Any thoughts on the whether the additional bolts are necessary?

FWIW...we typically will use this for a bike rack and small loads/trailer if any at all.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you.

-Kevin
    I added a 3rd party hitch to my 2000 Ody and only six 12 mm bolts were required, all up into threaded nuts already inside the frame members. There were no positions for the extra two you refer to, and I expect you may ignore them. If Honda had required, they would have provided the welded-in nuts in the frame.
    I pulled a 3000 lb trailer with above.
  • croftonhillscroftonhills Member Posts: 13
    Which model number hitch was it and/or what Class (II or III)...I was about to buy a U Haul hitch for my 2006 Odyssey for a trip that we are taking this weekend...ugh!
    Thanks, Mike
    It was Class III. Can't recall the mfr name, and I'm now into a 2007 Ody so 2000 records are gone. Allow a day to fiddle with fit (round file to expand bolt holes in the hitch, for example, as I found a bit of hitch distortion on 3 brands I tried until I got one with minimal problem).
  • croftonhillscroftonhills Member Posts: 13
    2000? Did you install the UHaul hitch on a 2000 or a 2006 (I thought it was 2006). Did you re-install it on your 2007? I have a 2006 and was worried about the bolt holes not matching up after I read your e-mail...almost makes me want to re-consider the OEM (which costs more but looks better). Thanks for the info.
  • alex77aealex77ae Member Posts: 4
    i have odyssey 2007 ex can someone please give an estimate for a hitch
  • magilla66magilla66 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have absolutely zero experience with hitches. I have done a little hauling but not a lot. Now it looks like I am getting a small boat (19'). With the trailer, it is just under 3000 pounds. I have a 2006 Odyssey, no tow package, no hitch. The trailer has a 2" ball.

I don't foresee hauling the boat more than about 5 miles at a time, ever, and it's all local roads so I won't be going faster than about 30mph. And it's all flat as a pancake.

What do I need to have installed? Any suggestions on outfits that can do the work well, for a reasonable price? Is Sears still reliable for their Auto stuff?

Thanks!

Chris
  • alex77aealex77ae Member Posts: 4
    yeah hey well first off u need to get a tranny cooler because odysseys are not pick up trucks so they are not made for hauling but if you put trailer hitch and tranny cooler it will work perfectly....
  • wendysingerwendysinger Member Posts: 18
    Where did you get your air shocks from? Who is the manufacturer? I will be pulling a 16 ft. Funfinder trailer with an '07 Odyssey that I am purchasing on Saturday. We usually pull the trailer w/ my Jeep Wrangler. I want to eliminate the rear sag in the van so that we can go on a long distance trip. I can't seem to find air shocks to fit the Odyssey.

Thank you.
    As an alternative to air shocks, consider a load distribution hitch to keep the Ody level. I have one for my 2007 with my 300 lb tongue weigh tailer and it works very well. This will probably be less costly, and certainly offers no longer term maintenance issue, such as replacing a pair of shocks should the bladder fail on one of them.
  • richardl5richardl5 Member Posts: 8
    This is an old question but I wanted to answer for others that may need this info in the future. I researched this on my 2007 Odyssey EX and it may apply to other years as well. I am a former race car fabricator and driver so this stuff is kinda fun for me.

I had the same need for a backup light on my trailer. On the passenger side the wiring harness exits the deck lid door and comes down under the rear panel. To remove the panel you must first pop out the rear panel as it overlaps the side panels. Remove any finger nuts that hold in the rear panel and the one finger nut on the passenger side panel. Lift the rear panel out at the bottom to pop the 4 buttons and the pull up to pop the top buttons. After that is out you can use a pair or diagonal wire cutter to gently remove the buttons that did not come out nicely and put the back in their slots for reassembly. Once that rear panel is pulled out you can pull loose the passenger side panel at the rear (the panel need not be completely removed) about 6 inches you should be able to access a bundle of wires coming down from above. On my van this bundle also included the rear windshield washer hose. In that bundle there is a green wire with 2 small silver bands on it. That band pattern is repeated every few inches. That is the backup light wire that connects to the lights in the deck lid. I used a wire tap clip to attach to it and it works fine. I'm not a big fan of those clips but there is so little wire slack that this is the best choice for this particular task. I routed the wire over to the driver's side where my other trailer wiring was and exited to the bottom of the car. If you are only dealing with this one wire and need a way to easily exit under the car make note of the left hand most bottom clip hole. Drill a hole 1 inch to the right of it (towards the center of car) and exit the wire. Use a grommet, wire loom covering or wiring putty or something so the wire is protected against any sharp edges of the hole. This hole exits into the bumper cavity and when you feed the wire out the hole it will come out underneath in the area near your trailer wiring harness and plug.

The only gotcha on our Odysseys is the backup fuse is 7.5 amps. Depending on the size of the backup light or lights you have, this could easily blow that fuse. What I plan to do is to put a 20 amp relay on my trailer that uses the incoming trailer power lead. This is the one that charges my trailer battery when my car is running. That way the power from the green wire will be used to trip the relay and it will handle the power to the backup light so there is no chance of overtaxing the Odyssey's 7.5 amp fuse or wiring. Alternately, you could go up slightly on the fuse size but this would be at your own risk. The backup wire is pretty small and you would not want to use a huge fuse and a huge light as you could damage the harness with a wire meltdown.
  • dsguydsguy Member Posts: 2
    I plan to tow my classic car with an open car hauler using my 01 Odyssey. Total weight being towed is 3580 lbs., and I will be driving about 925 miles. My van has a distributed weight Type III hitch, and will have a transmission cooler installed prior to this trip.

I would think that extra 80 lbs. will be OK if I drive conservatively, but wanted to get the wisdom of the CarSpace forum first. TIA for your knowledge.
  • wendysingerwendysinger Member Posts: 18
    We drove from California to Canada and back this summer with our Ody towing a 16ft travel trailer with electronic brakes and air bags on the rear axle of the Ody. By the end of the trip, we realized that we also needed an additional sway bar (2 total). Several times during the trip we had the "tail wagging the dog".
    I have a 2008 Odyssey with trans cooler and rear suspension airbags. The problem you are going to have is that 10-12% is recomended tongue weight and that would definitely push you over the weight the Honda recommended number. As far as the brakes - if the trailer has electric brakes that would be best. I just think you are really pushing the edges of the envelope. Also, if the terrain is flat that may be doable but is hilly I would say lookout.
  • dsguydsguy Member Posts: 2
    THanks for the expertise!
  • armysargearmysarge Member Posts: 1
    I would like to put a tow hitch on my Honda Odyssey to tow a small trailer with a motorcycle. Never more than about 1500 pounds. The dealership say that I must put a Trans cooler which significantly raises the cost. How important is this?
    You can have a trans cooler installed by an independent trailer hitch installation shop. Mine on my 2007 Odyssey ran about $200 installed. The dealer wanted at least twice that.

In reality you probably do not need a transcooler for this light load. However if you are under warranty and are concerned this could impact your warranty it could if the trans burns out. A dealer could refuse to honor it as a warranty item if you have a trailer hitch and have not installed a trans cooler. They won't care if you were towing only 1500 pounds. So if you have a warranty on the car I would get an independent shop or mechanic to install it. Also remember that these cars are known for trans issues.

If you don't have a warranty it is probably not an issue and you could get away without it.
  • steelers4steelers4 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at purchasing a 2011 Odyessy with the towing package. My boat and trailer weigh 2600 lbs. I have never pulled it with anything but a truck or SUV. My question is whether or not there will be difficulty towing the boat, getting the boat out of the water,etc, or will the odyssey pull like my current SUV that also has a 3500 lb towing capacity? Thank You in advance for answers, we will probably decide on the purchase within the next couple of days.
    You are probably pushing the edges of the envelop of what the Odyssey can handle. I'm towing a small T@B travel trailer at 2000 pounds and think that is getting near the upper limits of what the Odyssey can handle. In your situation you have the additional issues of needing the power to pull up a steep boat ramp and I'm not sure the Odyssey can be counted on to do that. The current Odyssey models like my 2007 all have known transmission problems and motor mount breakage problems. How the new one perfroms in those areas is unknown. If you decide to get the Odyssey don't get the dealer installed tow package. It is way overpriced and rated for less weight than the third party ones. You will want a good quality hitch, a trailer wiring convertor with a powered adapter, air bags installed on the rear suspension and a transmission cooler. You can get this installed at an independent trailer hitch installer shop for about 1/2 of the dealer pricing.
  • sudhagarcsudhagarc Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am planning to move from Atlanta to Denver.
    I have Honda Odyssey 2010 EX-L.
    Like to know how much weight I can place in the Car and How much weight I can place in the Hitch.
    I have browsed UHaul and came to know that I can hitch 1500LB cargo weight.
    Like to get advice from people what trail to use and what is the right weight in the van and the trail.
    Advices are appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.