Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano CVT Transmission

Comments

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    The new cvt's as well as every new high tech transmission [6-7 speed] will likely be unfixable. Replacement only. Fewer will fail so no one will be trained to repair and no one will manufacture parts. Buy old school stuff like mercury marquis and with lo tech and millions on the road -- fixed at reasonable prices. Asian/domestics will be throw aways -- high end euro's can be fixed cause they are built to be fixed but still very expensive.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    I have an 07 camry v6. I currently have 77,000 miles on the car. The transmission totally failed this weekend. I had no previous problems. Totally loved the car. On Friday it started acting up and by sat I couldn't even drive. Once in 3rd gear it shifts like crazy trying to find the gear. I took it to Toyota and they will not fix the car because I am 4000 miles over my warrenty. I contacted toyota Corp and they will not do anything. I found the service bulletin and stated that my car is in the effected vin period with the faulty transmission and still nothing. They want me to pay $6000 in parts alone. If anyone can please help me with advice on how to persue a claim I would really appreciate it. I bought the car used a year ago and just don't understand how they could put a car on the road that they knew had problems.

This is not my message/car. This message was posted under toyota forum...just FYI...anyone who thinks that ALL engines should be last 100-200k must be living in a perfect world.

Companies know that this thing won't be last forever, that's why they only give 60k miles warranty.
    Maybe extended warranties aren't a bad idea afterall.
  • billymalonebillymalone Member Posts: 7
    Well the 07 & 08 are the same. Might just be the BCM/ECU. $150 used and easy to install. The tranny is a bit more of a problem but I'd say $600 WOULD GET YOU A USED ONE AND ANOTHER $400 to slip it in.
  • tom5headtom5head Member Posts: 16
    So if I have a bad Air Intake it could be the cause of the CVT not working/causing the CVT to fail? How could I prove that or at least make case to present to Nissan/the dealership? I am not super mechanical so the more info you can provide the better...much appreciated.

In regards to the other comment from another posting on a transmission lasting 100-200k miles yeah you're probably right some will make it some won't but my car hasn't even hit 60K and I think a lot of people are having the same issues.
    So I am a pretty fair guy. The service manager offered today to try and see if Nissan corp would go 50/50 with me on the new $5300.00 all new CVT I need now. I'm not sure if he was just amusing me or what. He said it is a slim chance but he would try. If he makes it happen I will be the first to say I was wrong about Nissan. I can admit it when I'm wrong...we'll wait and see.
  • m0mzillam0mzilla Member Posts: 10
    My Nissan dealer in Scottsdale had Nissan "split the cost" after I told them about this thread (about a year ago). I was having the car towed to a different Nissan dealership for a second opinion and they came through with that offer at the last minute. Don't know why they wouldn't do the same for you. Stay on 'em!
    I have no idea of what Nissan's long term goal is but if that CVT goes out anytime after 100K on the car the car for the most part is totaled. There are some junk ones around but they get upwards of $1500 for them and that isn't installed.. I noticed the Versa offers all 3 types so I would go with the 4 speed auto. The Murano comes only with the CVT . I will say that it looks like the Nissan CVT is the best on the market but there are far better CVT's on the drawing board...
  • bikerforlifebikerforlife Member Posts: 5
    Took our Murano in for the new CVT transmission because both Nissan and an independent shop thought it was done. But as they started taking the vehicle apart pieces fell out of the catalytic converters and when they investigated further they found that the reason it had no response to the gas pedal was that the cats had blown apart and plugged the exhaust! This was covered by the emissions long term warranty and was no charge. I had a hard time believing it when they told me but we have the vehicle back and it runs like new. Went from a $7000 repair to zero! I'd like to recommend Creekside Nissan in Calgary to anyone who needs service. This is the second time they have fixed a problem for us that others couldn't.
    Okay so the scoop is this. The repair Manager at my local Nissan dealer (Peters Nissan Nashua NH) asked for assistance from corporate on a 50/50 split and they denied me twice, no help period. The repair mgr offered to give me a decreased labor rate which after diagnostics still put the job at about $4,585.00. The manager was friendly and appeared to try and assist but the reality is I am still whacked with a significant bill. So make up your own mind about Nissan as a company those are the facts.

I will say corporate (800-NISSAN1) first tried to blame me for not maintaining my vehicle and said since I had no proof I had maintained my car they could not help me. What they did not know is that I kept every single receipt for every piece of work that was done on the car. When I presented that to them they said too bad and then tried to tell me I hadn't changed the transmission fluid at 30k miles which is recomended for ALL Nissans. Apparently they should read their own manual because it says 30k miles and then in parenthesis it states on all cars EXCEPT for Nissan Murano's which don't need a change until 60k miles, per their owners manual. I am truly disapointed in this company. I have a young family and could have been a long time customer purchasing multiple cars over the years.

If anyone has any further suggestions I'd love some ideas.

NISSAN IF YOU'RE READING THIS DO THE RIGHT THING AND HELP YOUR CUSTOMERS. PENNY WISE AND POUND FOOLISH. :lemon:
    m0mzilla what dealership did you work with? I'd like to contact them and ask for their assistance or how they resolved this issue.
  • rol59rol59 Member Posts: 1
    The problem seems to be on all the Nissan C VT transmissions, I have a 2008 Altima and I have had 2 tranny's go bad, the worse part is that Nissan can not replace any of the interior parts and do not make them available.
    Like fixing a vcr -- no parts so you have to replace the whole thing. most of the new high tech transmissions cvt or otherwise are likely to be the same. Essentially unrepairable. That's why I'm leasing for the forseeable future. No more keep them 100k miles for me.
    To follow up my last post, if those folks who bought murano's [like me] to keep for many years[not me] had bought hyundai sante fe's your tranny's would be covered for 10 years/100k miles. If I was going to buy a new car for the long haul -- Hyundai/Kia would be at the top of my list.
  • nastacionastacio Member Posts: 370
    If only Hyundai/Kia had any decent vehicles back in 2004 when I bought my Murano :-)

Back in 2007, when I had to choose between trading my 2005 Accord or the 2004 Murano, the Murano was (and it still is) rattle free and bullet proof. The Accord, with 1/3 of the miles, had two rattles, being one in the gear linkage, more normal use wear and tear on leather and plastic surfaces, a loose speaker in the optional premium sound (EX-L V6) , a spotty whirring noise in the AC and a bumpy VTEC engagement at 4000 RPM. The choice was clear.

The test sample for a Saturn Outlook we were considering at the time had an ill-fitting upper-dash compartment and a rattle coming from the speedometer. Sure, it was a test car, but still somewhat telling of what to expect.

A friend of mine just told me about having to pay for $1400 on the AC repair of his 2006 Civic SI, which gave out at under 40K.

So yes, now that Hyundai has a couple of models I rather like, I completely agree with you. Genesis coupe, the 2011 Sonata, 2010 Tucson, all come to mind.
    Talk about moving the goal post. Way back in 1963 I had something like that happen to me from Chrysler. (moving the goal post) Never bought another Chrysler product again and I loved the first and only one I ever owned. I fixed the problem myself, got the part from the junk yard for $18.00 and one hour later I never had another problem with the car after that. Again the CVT is as good as any automatic on the road today, it's just that it can't be fixed, only replaced. Nissan builds great cars, no doubt about it. I have an old Max with 200K and still going strong. Gas, oil, brakes, and tires. Yeah a few batteries but nothing major.
    I'm afraid that the future will prove that the term unfixable will apply to most if not all of the automatic transmissions being built now and in the forseeable future. Remember three on the tree? Maybe the wave of the future. ;)
  • commonercommoner Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I like the many of all have an 03 murano with the 3-4 second non responsive gas pedal into turbo jolt take off only to be stuck again at the next light mashing on my non responsive pedal only to almost get rear ended at the light change for not moving and then jolt onlt to almost rear end the person in front of me. Yes, aggrivation. My question is has any body tried changing the air flow meter ? I have been to my personal mechanic twice, he couldnt diagnos the problem (no lights on dash)but was leaning towards the air flow meter (sensor) and I have been to Niss dealer twice. The first time at the dealer the service guy said he knew my problem, my intake hoses were loose, we put them together and the car drove like new-for about 40 min. Than right back to "delay jolt mode". I called him, he let me know about the intake duct recall, I did that and still-same problem. Now im planning to go for a diagnostic with Niss this wknd, the service guy is calling his self doing me a favor to save me diagnostic fees saying hes sure its the AIR FLOW METER, my mechanic is concurring but im reading this forum with the references to valve body and new transmissions and so on and so forth to no avail so im thinking, am i going to be wasting time and money ? Has anyone tried the air flow meter ? Has anyone outh there with this car FIXED THE PROBLEM ? ? ?
    Yes and it didn't work, now I have an extra air flow sensor sitting on a shelf in my garage. Someone told me the Nissan techs are paid on commission...has anyone else heard about this? Any truth behind it?
    The problems re fixing murano cvt transmissions are not based within a plot by techs to earn money. They can't fix it because they can't be trained to fix the unfixable. As I've said before, nissan is ahead of the curve in building drive train components that can't be fixed. In 5-10 years every vehicle produced will be in that category. Can you imagine doing what used to be a simple valve job on one of these multi-valve high tech engines? Not gonna happen. My 03 jeep liberty is so common that short blocks and rebuilt transmissions are available so you can actually do major work at a reasonable cost. My 09 murano awd? Forgettaboutit.
    Well any assistance from Nissan corporate was a total failure....

2003 Nissan Murano FOR SALE Brand New Transmission!

Any takers haha yeah right! These guys suck even my Range Rover is more dependable than this piece of garbage...and might be cheaper to fix WOW!
  • wjvanrossumwjvanrossum Member Posts: 13
    I brought the Murano to a different Nissan dealership for a second opinion on the Transfer Case situation. I just received a phone call from this dealer, Bergstrom, who stated that the Transfer case is completely fine and that the noise I am hearing when the truck is in motion is coming from the “wheel bearing”. I do NOT have to pay Gandrud (1st Dealer) another $4,500 for a transfer case that they replaced already. I do NOT have to replace the transfer case Gandrud diagnosed as failing a second time when it is not failing. I no longer have to beg and plea with Nissan consumer affairs to cover a second transfer case under its stated warranty policy, who continues to state that the second transfer case is not under warranty because there is not a manufacturing defect or workmanship flaws. (Truth be told Bergstrom said there isn’t anything wrong)

The Lessons Learned: 1. Always get a second opinion if a major repair is diagnosed on your vehicle

2. Always get a second opinion for a repair that is said to be happening again from a different dealer

3. Never buy a Nissan

4. Never take your vehicle to the Gandrud Dealership in Green Bay,WI for Service

5. Pass on information like this to people you care about so they don’t get rolled

The Good and Bad News: Bad news is my Vehicle is costing me another $450. The good news is I don’t have to continue my run around with Nissan. More good news is I was able to see how Nissan treats its customer when a issue arises with their product. I now know that I will never buy a Nissan because if something like a transfer case goes out, the Nissan logo might as well not be on the vehicle because they won’t stand behind it. I am also now aware of Dealerships who may intentionally or unintentionally charge you for a service that is not necessary or misdiagnosed. Boy would I have been sick if I found out my transfer case didn’t need to be repaired after I spent the second $4,000.
    edited August 2011
    Well I just picked my Nissan Murano up today and got to write a nice $4,000 plus check for my brand spanking new CVT. You'd think after doing $4k worth of work they might have at least washed or detailed my car but no I just got it back with bird **** on the hood and nice mud prints on my floor. I absolutely hate this company I hate my local dealership and I would NEVER EVER buy another Nissan product. You're absolutely right there might as well not be a Nissan symbol on the car because they will not be there if you ever need them. A few emails back someone mentioned that it's not a conspiracy that these techs are trying to up-sell you into new transmissions and I agree but the fact is if you get paid on commission you're going to try and sell the most expensive thing you can...this translates to techs that are apt to not be overly honest, period. Therefore it frightens me that these are the people I have to trust to tell me what is wrong with my car. The thing that really bites is now that I spent $4k on this car I'm kind of trapped into using it. I originally just brought the car in for servicing so I could sell it. :cry:
  • ihatenissanihatenissan Member Posts: 10
    I agree, my husband had a 2004 Nissan Murano and the transfer case broke, I googled 2004 Nissan Murano and transfer case and found this is a common problem, along with the transmission problems on the 2003 models. I too thought if I spent $4,500 the car would be washed and maybe even vacuumed. Neither was done. As soon as we had it repaired, we traded it in on a toyota truck w/ an extended warranty.

My co-worker's husband has a 2004 Murano and I told her he should get rid of it. She said "my husband babys the Murano and it only has 45,000 miles on it." Two weeks ago, she said her husband's car made a terrible noise, sure enough his transfer case cracked too. Lucky for him, his mother works at Nissan and pulled some strings to have it fixed for free. I was treated terrible by Nissan North America. I will NEVER buy another Nissan.
  • pur4vidapur4vida Member Posts: 1
    Dear Nissan Owner:

On behalf of everyone at Nissan, we would like to thank you for choosing to drive a Nissan. One of the many technologically-advanced features of your vehicle is the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), an innovative transmission that offers smooth, seamless shifting, while tailoring the vehicle's output to your driving style.

While Nissan is proud to offer this technology on many of our models, a small percentage of owners of early models equipped with CVTs have expressed concerns about the cost of repair of their transmissions after the warranty expires. We take these comments about the cost of vehicle ownership seriously. We strive to provide an exceptional ownership experience and are implementing a thorough Customer Satisfaction Program to address this topic.

First, to provide you with additional assurance regarding your overall cost of ownership we have doubled the warranty period for the Continuously Variable Transmission in your Nissan. The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost to you, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

This extension is effective immediately and requires no action on your part. The remainder of your powertrain warranty coverage for components other than the transmission remains unchanged, at 5 years/60,000 miles, and your basic warranty coverage also remains unchanged. All other warranty terms, limitations and conditions otherwise apply. This extended transmission warranty is also fully transferable to future owners of your vehicle.

Second, Nissan will reimburse customers who have previously paid to repair or replace their CVT, if the repairs would have been covered within the new extended warranty period. Even if you no longer own your Nissan we will reimburse you for past CVT repairs that would have been covered under this extension of the warranty.

Further, in the unlikely event that your vehicle's transmission should need repair beyond the extended warranty period we are working to decrease the cost of repair and have already reduced the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price of a replacement CVT. In addition, we continuously strive to enhance our products, and have made ongoing improvements to our CVTs over the years.

Nissan is taking these actions to demonstrate our confidence in the CVT technology and to show our commitment to stand behind our products.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

If you have previously paid for repairs to your CVT within the time and mileage limits of this new extended warranty, we ask that you download the Reimbursement Claim Form and follow the instructions on the site. If you have additional questions, please contact our Consumer Affairs office at 888-388-0318. Please be aware that the deadline for submitting the Reimbursement Claim Form is July 31, 2010.

The extended warranty coverage for CVT repair or replacement is effective immediately.

If you seek coverage for a repair under this extended warranty you will need to bring your vehicle to an authorized Nissan dealer. The factory-trained technical staff at the Nissan dealer will have the diagnostic tools and knowledge to provide you with the appropriate service and submit your warranty claim. If you have additional questions regarding this program, contact our Consumer Affairs office at 888-388-0318 for assistance.

At Nissan we and our dealers work daily to deliver an outstanding ownership experience that will earn your confidence and trust. We are committed to doing the right thing for our customers and look forward to a long relationship that you find satisfying and rewarding. Thank you for choosing Nissan.

Sincerely,

Kevin Martin
    Vice President Total Customer Satisfaction
    Holy macarolli !!!
  • jess5138jess5138 Member Posts: 7
    Is this a joke? If so it's not funny...
  • mikem88mikem88 Member Posts: 1
    My wife drives a 2004 Murano and she noticed it making some noises soon after, her service engine light comes on. We took it to get a diagnostics. During that time we found out that the intake air duct was recalled. However, the diagnostics also said that there was leaking from the intake gasket was leaking, that itself caused the sensor to go off. When I tried to get Nissan to fix it even though the car is no longer with warranty, they said that there's no way the 2 other problems came from the recall. Any suggestions or comments? I mean it doesn't take a genius to put 1 and 1 together. Can anyone confirm my thoughts?
  • tommyguy10tommyguy10 Member Posts: 9
    OMG! This is NOT a joke!! I just received my letter in the mail today. Too bad, I sold my 2003 Murano. However, I bought a 2007 and this new warranty covers ALL Murano models through 2010!!

Looks like our efforts on this thread paid off after all!
  • jchris101jchris101 Member Posts: 1
    Kevin:
    You know what they say about happy customers?
    Happy customers tell five friends; unhappy customers tell fifty!!!
    There is not enough room on this blog/BB to tell you all the problems I have had with my 2003 Murano. Some have been routine with the mileage I have put on the car.
    The way I was mis-handled by the Cherry Hill, NJ dealership's GM and then lack of response by Nissan Corporate (when emailed and snail-mailed) showed a lack of customer sensitivity in September 2007 when my CVT and CAT died within 30 days of each other forcing me to borrow money to pay for $7000 ($5000 for the rebuilt/not new CVT and $2000 for the CAT) of repairs within months of loosing my job. The 2003 Murano had 104,000 miles on it at the time.
    Since then I have gone out of my way to tell everyone what poor customer service I have received and have told more than 50 people of my problems with Nissan.
    To provide perspective since purchasing the 2003 Murano its repairs costs have exceeded our other three cars: 2000 Infiniti I30 (230,000 miles), our 2000 Infiniti G20 (140,000 miles, and Acura 2005 TL (75,000 miles) combined.
    What has gone wrong? Just call your Cherry Hill NJ dealership and ask for my repair records and even you will be appalled.
    I have applied for my $5020+ refund but think it fair that I should also seek reimbursement for having to borrow money to pay for such extensive repairs.
    This process means that you have lost one customer (me), my wife (who now drives the Acura), my three kids who are now all over 21 and who knows how many neighbors/friends who have heeded my advice. In a neighborhood of 100 plus Dr's/Lawyers/Professionals I don't know of another Nissan that has been purchased since 2003.
    John Christian
    Southern NJ
  • bigeasy51bigeasy51 Member Posts: 7
    All Murano owners ("responders" to this forum topic) should have received their letter from Nissan North America during the last few days. And a very welcomed letter it was!
    Mr. Kevin Martin - a Vice President at Nissan North America in Tennessee, and Mr. Luis Rodriguez - an Executive Specialist at Nissan North America in Tennessee, were the gentlemen who assisted me when I was having CVT problems in June & July of this year. These two Nissan employees understand what "Customer Satisfaction" means - even after 3 service representatives told me that Nissan wouldn't be helping me!
    Because of Messers. Martin and Rodriguez I received a new CVT transmission in my Murano - AND Nissan kept a 3X customer!!!
    Thank you to both of them and to Nissan N.A.
    KA Johnson
  • jetwrenchjetwrench Member Posts: 10
    To:
    Kevin Martin
    Vice President Total Customer Satisfaction
    (see post# 290)

Well... what can i say except THANK YOU MR. MARTIN & NISSAN N.A. FOR STEPPING UP TO THE PLATE ON THIS ISSUE!!.. I RECENTLY PURCHASED A 2003 FRONT WHEEL DRIVE MURANO SE WITH 70K ON IT. I DID MY RESEARCH ON THE VEHICLE BEFORE I BOUGHT IT BUT DID'T FIND OUT ABOUT THE INSANELY EXPENSIVE CVT FAILURES UNTIL AFTERWARDS AND I'VE BEEN SICK ABOUT IT EVER SINCE. UPON FURTHER RESEARCH I DISCOVERED THAT THE CVT IN MINE FAILED 27,000mi IN FEB 2007. I'M ABOUT THE SEND MY DAUGHTER OFF TO COLLEGE & WILL BE MAKING TRIPS BACK & FORTH TO HER SCHOOL. I HAD PLANNED TO SELL OR TRADE OFF THE MO ASAP BEFORE THE NEW CVT FAILED AGAIN AS I CAN'T AFFORD A 5-7K BILL! AT LEAST NOW I CAN KEEP DRIVING IT WITHOUT FEAR OF PREMATURE (OUT OF WARRANTY) FAILURE FOR ANOTHER 50K OR 4 YEARS!!.. THIS WAS MY FIRST NISSAN PURCHASE BASED ON THEIR HISTORY OF RELIABILITY AND I WAS STUNNED WHEN I FIRST FOUND OUT ABOUT THE CVT FAILURES. I WAS ABOUT TO UNLOAD THIS MO QUICK, FAST & IN A HURRY, EVEN THOUGH I LIKE THE VEHICLE & NEVER BUY ANOTHER NISSAN PRODUCT. NISSAN DID THE RIGHT THING BY STEPPING UP TO HELP RESTORE COMSUMER CONFIDENCE!!
  • zappa345zappa345 Member Posts: 1
    It is great Nissan is finally acknowledging the CVT issue but unfortunately for me it is too late. My transmission started leaking fluid at 119k miles and rather then replacing it I have been topping off the fluid. It now has 124k miles. I called the consumer affairs line and they sent my case to the regional consumer affairs office to see if there is something they can do to help. Keeping my fingers crossed!
    The website and letter is no joke. However, I just received a call this afternoon after I submitted my paper work for reimbursement for the transfer case repair I had back in May. The lady from Nissan called to tell me the transfer case is a different part than the CVT and is not covered under this warranty. Still confused I asked if she could send me some type of description or diagram of what parts are covered under this extended CVT warranty program. She put me on hold and came back stating she didn’t have any sort of paper work to explain. I am still left confused after I was given false hope that Nissan was finally getting their act together. My opinion on the company has now swung back to the negative side. If anyone has more info on how the transfer case and CVT of the 2004 Nissan Murano are related please post.
  • steelflatrollsteelflatroll Member Posts: 18
    I have an 03 Murano with 107,000 on it and had no issues with it other than normal wear and tear ( tires - brakes etc ) but just a couple weeks ago I was in a traffic jam and when I step on the gas it seem to hesitate or not react to the pedal then it move ... it may of happen 2 times during this jam. I thought it was odd and didnt give another thought now I'm not so sure ? Is this what you all are talking about with the transmission problems ? and will it stop all together ? I like to know before I lose out since I have 107,000 and wont make the 10 yrs or 120,000 which ever comes 1st rule ...since I put on all highway miles
    any info or guidelines to follow will help out
  • kjs9kjs9 Member Posts: 3
    I am thankful for these postings. I am calling the dealership tomorrow because I took the car to my mechanic today and he told me it was the transmission. Hopefully they do not give me any problems. The noise just started the other day. And it sounds like something was banging under the back of my car. I was not going at a high speed it was just driving in the neighbor. I have a 2005 Nissan Murano with under 60,000 miles. And it sounds like very similar problems that was discussed on the site. Is there currently a class action suit or was this just approved by Nissan to correct the problems because I have not received any recall letters.Do anyone have any recommendations. Thanks kjs
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    Maybe this is old news...but if it helps here it goes....

"Yes, it is true. Nissan USA has set up a website with all the information regarding the CVT Extended Warranty:

http://www.nissanassist.com/index.php?menu=1

Owners who have paid to have their CVT's repaired may also be eligible for reimbursement if it occurred under the new warranty terms: 10yr/120k. Click the above link for more information.
  • sean_paulsean_paul Member Posts: 1
    I like the CVT technology, I think with time and the commitment by Nissan to take responsibility eventually will lead to a finely tuned piece of engineering that all manufactures will jump to.
    Have you ever drive away at the stop light from someone with a supped up car which has a third or sometimes twice times the power and they cannot catch you for the next 60 meters?
    That is attributed to the CVT tranny, the shifting is so very transparent that you could go from 0 to 60 without even noticing it.

I own a 2005 SL MO and so far so good except for the front drivers seat.
    The seat frame broke at 40000 and I am getting these rediculous quotes of between $600 and $1000 to repair same.
    I noticed that this is even a bigger issues that the CVT and this is something that Nissan should look into ASAP.
    Just imaging someone hitting your from behind, with a broken seat i doubt that the seat belt is going to stop you from going through that windshield. if you have a head on then god forbit what muight happen.

I mad a complain to the NTSB regaring this. Since it is pandemic I think Nissan should recall it or do something like the CVT gesture.

I still love my Mo..
  • phillip12phillip12 Member Posts: 2
    I lost the transmission on my 2004 SE AWD Murano @ 50,000 in Dec. '06. The Local Nissan dealer denied it as a warranty claim and suggested I contact my insurance company as it appeared that there had been damage to the undercarriage of the vehicle. With 14 yrs claim adjusting experience, I knew this was not the case...but reported it to my insurance company to rule out all possibilities. Against my better advisement, and in an effort to take the easy way out, my insurance company paid for the replacement of the transmission as Nissan continued to deny warranty coverage. Total cost of repair was about $7100...of which 1600 was my responsibility.
    Now, we (Murano Owners) receive this letter advising of "a small percentage" of complaints. To that I say...bullhonky! A quick internet search shows not only a class action lemon law case in NJ, but numerous complaints with the CVT. Nissan knew, or should have known, of the problems and accepted responsibility some time ago. Their letter and the unheard of "doubling" of the warranty is, in my opinion, an admission of liability. I have turned this letter over to my insurance carrier to seek reimbursement. I have been a loyal Nissan owner for over 13 yrs...no longer though. They have lost me, friends, relatives and anyone who will listen as a customer.
  • phillip12phillip12 Member Posts: 2
    My drivers seat broke too! estimates @ 800+ to repair.... Good idea with the NTSB.... I like the murano as well, very versatile, but when you pay 30k+ for a vehicle you certainly expect better.
  • oregon2oregon2 Member Posts: 1
    My drivers seat Frame broke for the second time. 1St 30K and Second 80K also My seal on the Transfer Case leaking. its adding up..
    YES, THIS IS THE TELLTALE PRECURSER SIGN OF THE PENDING DEATH OF YOUR CVT.. GET IN TO A NISSAN DEALER, GET IT DIAGNOSED, AND BY ALL MEANS GET IT DOCUMENTED!!!! & GET A NEW CVT BEFORE THE EXTENDED WARRANTY RUNS OUT...
  • turbonatorturbonator Member Posts: 6
    Did anyone else get the letter extending the CVT warranty to 10 years, 120,000 miles last week? Also stated that they would refund money paid for previous repairs/replacement to owners, and/or previous owners. And they are working to reduce price of repair parts for CVT's. Signed by Kevin Martin, VP of customer satisfaction. (even had my vin on the letter) visit site www.NissanAssist.com for claim form. Or call (888) 388-0318
    Yes, it's legitamate.. check out the new CVT extended warranty website....
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    I received a letter extending warranty to 120,000 miles and will refund money for previous repairs.. I purchased an extended warranty on my 2006. I wounder if they will refund some of the costs?
    I believe your extended warranty is now tacked on at the end of the 120,000 mile 10 year warranty. So essentially you'll have an even longer warranty period.
    BETTER READ THE FINE PRINT, EXTENDED WARRANTIES ARE FULL OF LOOPHOLES!!...
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    you better believe it man; I used to get extended warranties over 20 years ago and no matter how much I paid, when the factory warranty ran out and something went wrong, the automakers always found ways to say oh this and that isn't covered under your extended warranty and if it had been this it would have, blah blah blah blah.....

suffice it to say I don't get them anymore because they are just like flushing money down the toilet, they always fine ways out of them, and it really is a kick in the crotch after you've spent all that extra money on them and they come back and tell you its not covered, so go screw yourself!

the factory warranty is more than enough, especially on the luxury automakers!!!
  • kjs9kjs9 Member Posts: 3
    I received my letter yesterday. My car is currently at the dealer. My transfer case was cracked. The dealer ordered it and now I am waiting for the part to come in. Not sure where this is currently going until they start to repair the car. Will be sure to update and let you all know how I make out. I am hoping for the best.