Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano CVT Transmission

Comments

• twl1twl1 Member Posts: 1
    Wow, can't believe how many Murano owners have the same problem. Wish I would have known this before buying mine 11 months ago. Mine just went yesterday, 5 months after the power train warranty ran out. I contacted Nissan and they said 'too bad, so sad" and they won't do a darn thing about it. My cost will be $3700 for 112,000 km's. I'm royally ticked off at Nissan for the fact this is happening to a lot of Murano owners and they should do a recall and cover this for all owners. This is ridiculous that we have to cover faulty transfer cases. I'm getting a newer version put in for a constant AWD that is in the Murano's after 2004 that is suppose to be better. I like my Murano but Nissan needs to face this one for all.
  • wjvanrossumwjvanrossum Member Posts: 13
    I hate to say welcome to this club, but welcome to our club. Your frustration is felt by all of us. Like I told the others on this forum. Email The VP and voice your concerns at: Kevin.Martinnissan-usa.com. Some people have had luck others like myself have not. However, an email won't hurt anything and perheps Nissan will get the picture that it's not the dry pavement or user fault for all of these transfer cases going out.
  • bikerforlifebikerforlife Member Posts: 5
    About your tire pressure. I had the same issue and the dealer told me to inflate the tires to over 35 psi and it went away. Apparently original equipment tires were rated at 35 to 40 psi. A bit unusual but it worked for me.
  • igmigm Member Posts: 3
    Very disturbing & dissapointing to find out many new car buyers are experiencing serious CVT Transmission & Transfer Case damages. I'm looking to the BBB & Internet forums for help!

My Transfer Case components fractured at 72k mi. Tom Naquin Service, w/ no investigation, concluded it was my fault for not changing the oil. I disagreed & complained to Naquin & Nissan Consumer Affairs: 1) My '05-Manual does NOT even require oil change under Schedules 1&2 - confirmed by Kings Nissan. 2) A Naquin Tech mentioned running AWD on dry pavement is another potential cause. 3) A loose wire caused the SES & AWD light to stay-ON & vehicle would not run more than 20mph at 70k mi. (felt like trans/powertrain restricted).

After Naquin replaced my Case, now the engine rpm/trans will not shift/change gear mode at full-throttle (again, like powertrain restricted). So I requested Nissan to cover this REPLACEMENT part through my 75k mi. EXTENDED warranty & they refused. Nissan just lost a repeat new car buyer - IGM.
  • kellyd7kellyd7 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks. I just took it to a different dealer, they inflated the pressure from 34 psi to 36 psi and reset all of the sensors. Light is still on-never goes off. Does this happen to you whenever it's cold out? Light comes on and doesn't go off? I park in a garage--it's not heated but the car doesn't sit outdoors and as soon as I start the car the light comes on. I thought that in extreme temps it may come on briefly and then go off, not come on, stay on for the 35 mile ride to work, etc.
  • bikerforlifebikerforlife Member Posts: 5
    Don't know what to say as mine went off soon as we increased the pressure. It started as the temperature dropped outside to -20 and the psi to 30. But the temp just went down and again and all is good. No lights or warnings. And our car is in the same situation as yours. Unheated garage.
  • sgoyalsgoyal Member Posts: 24
    Actually, I found online that Nissan doubles warranty on cvts to 10yrs/120000 miles (power train warranty).. You might check with Customer Service

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/17/psa-nissan-doubles-warranty-on-cvts-to-10-yea- rs-120-000-miles/
  • steelflatrollsteelflatroll Member Posts: 18
    well in one of my earlier message I had ask if the signs to the tranny problems look like this ??? after driving on the hwy then coming to a stop traffic jam when I try to move again the car did not react to the gas pedal ( I thought maybe I got the floor mat struck under the pedal ) I kept trying then it lurch forward... this happen twice in the last 6 months . I never really gave it any thought but with the notice and Since I have 112000 on my 03 MO when I took it in for my regular oil change and explain to the service dept what I had notice. They said they would check it out . When I pick it up they said nothing show up on the computer, Would this problem show up on their readout ???

I wonder if the tranny does go out after the 120,000 will this be consider having it on record ?? or any one have any other thoughts on how to approached the issue?
  • m0mzillam0mzilla Member Posts: 10
    Sounds like the air duct issue that I've had. It's happened twice since I've had the car - and both times the AAA Tow Truck drivers know how to fix it "because it's always the problem with these models." It happened to me again a couple of weeks ago on my drive home at night. So scary! I was turning in an intersection and my car wouldn't react to my gas pedal. It hesitated, then lurched before finally catching up to speed. It's a miracle that I didn't get in an accident. I had it towed to the dealership (again) and mentioned the air duct recall that I'd received. My response from the service manager was hilar: "The recall is for the rear air duct and most of the problems we see are the front - so that part's not covered." Um, ok. So the problem that you see the most is not what's recalled?? Anyway, they simply changed my oil and tightened it (again.) Nothing is really wrong - it's just a defect that they're not aknowledging yet. Hope that's the case with your car as well. Good luck!
  • jenn_ljjenn_lj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Murano that has 73,000 miles. Of course I didn't buy the extended warranty.... my family has bought over ten Nissans and never had a problem. Last week we thought the transmission was done, which I thought was ridiculous, but at least Nissan has extended the warranty. That was not the case..... I found out it was the transfer case and oh yeah that will be $3500 or something like that. Are you kidding me!!!! $3500 of work for a car that has 73,000 miles. I too will be letting Nissan know how I feel today! Let me know if anyone has made any progress on this! :mad:
  • ihatenissanihatenissan Member Posts: 10
    I totally agree with you. It is completely ridiculous that Nissan would extend the warranty for the tranmission but not the transfer case. The 2003 has a problem with the transmission and the 2004 has a problem with the transfer case. It is unacceptable that a $30,000 plus vehicle needs a repair that costs 40% of the residual value of it. They know it's a problem but until someone files a class action suit against them, not sure they will stand behind their product. The only person I know that had this fixed, was because his mother worked at the dealer. I am still going to submit and see what happens. It's such a shame because I loved the Murano, comfortable ride and a nice looking vehicle. Only Honda and Toyota for this girl.
  • oompah1003oompah1003 Member Posts: 6
    I had all of the above issues and it was all related to the transmission. It finally went at 121000 miles and I had it replaced. I am currently going through nissan consumer affairs to get my refund back but since over 1000 miles, I am having a tough fight. I just know one thing, i will never buy nissan again and I am going straight to Hyundai's
  • deban2009deban2009 Member Posts: 1
    OMG....I'm so glad I googled this topic because I also have a 2004 Nissan Murano that I purchased December 2008......low mileage aprox. 33,000 miles. About 3 weeks it totally broke down on me....had to have it towed into the dealer and the diagnosis was damage to the Front Transfer Case. Since then, I have been battling with my extending warranty folks....still no luck. Total damages estimated thus far as $4800.....absoulutlely ridiculous!!!!!!!

I plan to write Nissan Consumer Affairs......I'm glad I'm not the only one having problems. Something definitely needs to be done. I would love to file a class action suit but don't really know where to begin....no legal experience.....any suggestions let me know.

I love the car but good thing I have a 1998 Honda Accord that is rolling like a babe to depend:sick on as a back-up...FYI, 254, 000 miles.

:sick:
  • wjvanrossumwjvanrossum Member Posts: 13
    I am sorry to hear you have also fell victim to Nissan's faulty transfer case and misleading warranty extension on the transmission. Yes I understand through research that the transfer case is a separate item from the actual transmission. However if the transfer case is not categorized under the transmission group, what group does it fall under? Also the transmission controls the transfer case and being an AWD vehicle the transfer case is needed and is a part of the transmission.

I don't know that there is hope but a fellow poster to the forum has made some progress on getting his transfer case covered. I unfortunately have not. If you're going to voice your concern please send the VP of Customer service an email, Kevin.Martin@nissan-usa.com. Maybe if enough people voice their concern and complaint the company will act and cover the transfer case under the extended warranty.

Good Luck and please pass this information on to the next person.
  • brion8brion8 Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 Murano with 87,500 miles recently got diagnosed with a bad transfer case and CVT. Repair estimate $5500. They say it's not covered by the warranty because the Transfer Case seal leaked fluid into the CVT causing it to fail. Opened a case with Nissan only to be told "Nissan is not in the position to help out financially." Gee, thanks. Where in the CVT warranty does it state that it wouldn't be covered because of this? Where does it say I'm supposed to check or maintain my Transfer Case seal?
  • neotuscan2neotuscan2 Member Posts: 3
    Dealer just quoted me $600 to change transmission fluid! Said the stuff is "Liquid Gold," in order to justify cost. Said it's "recommended" for 2003 and 2004 models every 30,000 miles. Little guy mechanic down the street just laughed, but even he is charging $150. Why so much? Is this the going rate (I'm in No. California)????
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    ..I hope that the "liquid gold" phrase was just that right?...and the second guy well he may be closer to the real price..I guess pan has to be removed regardless of a filter or not....
  • brion8brion8 Member Posts: 2
    I also just got quoted over $600 to refresh the transfer case fluid in my 2004 Murano. I'm also in Nor Cal (Sacramento).
  • nastacionastacio Member Posts: 370
    I think either way, they are trying to rip you off.

There is no such recommendation on the manual and it is a sealed unit. Unless the gears are badly grinding against each other (in which case oil change is the least of your problems) I see no reason to replace the oil every 30.000 miles.

If for whatever odd reason they are right, and if you are still covered under the 120.000/10yr warranty for the transmission, you are probably better off letting the oil-hungry transmission die and going for a replacement where such problem would no longer occur.
  • 49134913 Member Posts: 2
    From reading all the blogs on this issue.. i would highly recommend having your CVT checked before going over the warranty of 10 years/120 000 miles whichever comes first. Mine went the same day i got the letter. Contacted Nissan no luck
    Save your self the grief and expense as expressed by other owners. This seems to know issue ...
    See my post # 386. I just had the transmission fluid replaced by the "little guy" mechanic down the street from the Northern California Nissan dealer that quoted me $600 to change it. The CVT transmission fluid cost this guy 18.95 per quart, for a total of 94.75 for the five quarts needed. So, the stuff IS expensive. He charged 68.80 for labor. The dealer's labor PROFIT would, therefore, have been
    $502.25!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can someone please make sense of this for me? Is their greed that naked? Do they really think we (customers) are that stupid? Whaddaya say?
  • sgoyalsgoyal Member Posts: 24
    it looks like that "little guy" mechanic drained the CVT fluid instead of flushing it, which should be more than good enough for you. and I think Dealer gave you the estimate based on flushing the CVT fluid (But it was still more than normal)
  • ngeorgia72246ngeorgia72246 Member Posts: 1
    Good News! I had a tapping sound (thought it was a tire). It grew louder and became a banging sound. Took it to Nissan Dealer. I have 105,000 miles on my Nissan Murano AWD 2004.
    They called and said my differential caused my transmission to go bad so they couldn't cover the repairs under the extended warranty. The estimate was $9400 for new transmission, transfer case and differential.
    I called 1800-Nissan One and opened a case. They refered me to another customer resolution expert. He laughed and said he had never heard of a repair that high and never heard of a differential causing the transmission to go bad. After about a week, he called back and said they Were covering the new CVT, transfer case, seals, fluids and all labor. I had to cover the differential parts only ($2400). Since I do haul a small trailer and live in a hilly area, I thought that was fair.
    It pays to keep inquiring further up lines!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It's always nice to hear stories with a good ending! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • 49134913 Member Posts: 2
    ngeorgia72246 .. Please let us know how you car is drving with the new CVT. Nissan did well.
  • sara80sara80 Member Posts: 1
    hi guys, i'm new here but i thought i maybe able to get my question answer.
    i have a 2005 morano and <60K miles. i felt the engine is working harder than it should when i'm going from stop to gas. the engine sounded loud but not on the highway (cuz u dont stop/slow down too much) i took it to the dealer and they told me to change my engine mounts. they quoted me $1600. every other mechanic laughed at what they said and one mechanic friend looked at the engine mounts and said they are fine. he said the problem is my car doesnt change gear quickly so that's why it sounds like it's working hard. he said it's an expensive fix so i havent bothered fixing it.
    then i got the CVT letter. can this be my problem?
    i'm in north california/bay area. let me know if you know a good dealer here.
  • mutt88mutt88 Member Posts: 1
    hello. I was looking for one thing when joined forum. now seeing all these other problems i want to kick my murano...my question..2006 has a thump from rear end. doesn't happen all the time.. i have had rear tires balanced and they are fine. it comes and goes the thump..the thump creeps up on smooth roads, bumpy roads it wont start thumping..if i go from smooth to bumpy road it still thumps..shifted car into netural when thumping, thumping feels the same..thump speeds up as car speeds up.put in 4 wheel mode and still same thing thump..its like it gets out of balance on smooth roads..thanks everyone and good luck with your muranos...though we may be the moron-o"s.
  • sbaltrossbaltros Member Posts: 3
    I am considering purchasing a 2010 Murano, but frankly am scared off by this thread. All of my mechanics are wary of the CVT tranny. Does anyone have any input on the drivetrain for the the new Muranos? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  • robmartinsrobmartins Member Posts: 8
    I have heard the 2009 and newer Muranos have a different and improved CVT. Thing is, the CVT seems to be here to stay. Subaru is using them in the 2010 Outback (and maybe in other cars as well). Honda uses it in the Fit (I've had one and it was a great little car). I believe the Nissan earlier CVT's actually had some kind of flaw although in my case the transfer case is the item that went.

I wouldn't worry and would go ahead and buy it, although if Nissan hadn't stood up for us by extending the warranty, and in my case even repaying the $3,300 I spent, I would probably be very angry and telling you other things :-)

Mine is a first generation 2004.
  • balanceokbalanceok Member Posts: 11
    I confess I´m a bit frustrated watching how they are vilifying Toyota when the problem with the Murano transmission is, in my opinion, just as serious if not more. Toyota is taking it on the chin for the gas pedal and possible brake problems while Nissan continues to duck the safety problem with the Murano transmission.

Hesitation of the transmission seems very, very serious to me but when the issue was raised with Nissan, they acted indifferent and as though the question was a total surprise. I think that is what I object to most. When the problem is reported, the dealership acted as though this was the first they had heard of it. I think a closer inquiry would be interesting on this.
  • 03victim03victim Member Posts: 3
    sbaltros,

Yes, the CVT, is up and coming and here to stay. However, it is still a product that too many are unfamiliar with. I unfortunately had to have reliable transportation and ended up trading in my 2004 Murano (lost a lot of money) before Nissan decided to extend the warranty for the faulty transmission. On that day, I decided I would never purchase another vehicle that advertised their car as using the "technology of the future". Basically that means, no one will know how to provide maintenance to your car. I always paid more for maintenance being restricted to use the dealership and REALLY paid for it when I had to sell it back to a dealership. I wish I could recommend the Nissan Murano, but I feel the CVT should be in the automobile industry for another couple of years. The time it took Nissan to recognize the faulty transmission took entirely too long and to me displyas no loyalty or appreciation to good customers. Good Luck!
    I have groused about the high cost to change transmission fluid, sometimes in florid language, but make no mistake about it: my wife and I have driven nearly 70,000 enjoyable and nearly trouble-free miles in the 7 years we've owned our new (and new model year, remember Dad's advice never to buy a new model?). The engine and drive train deliver real smooth power and performance. And, the funky styling has really held up; we get comments and compliments all the time.

Here's looking to 100,000 miles!
  • sbaltrossbaltros Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the responses. I see that Nissan offers a 10 year 120k tranny warranty. I didn't know that before. If I like the ride when I take it out I may go for one. How do you guys like the ride compared to a conventional tranny.
    Thanks
    Steve
  • vanessaesqvanessaesq Member Posts: 10
    Hey All:
    I had my transmission replaced pursuant to the warranty about six weeks ago. Since that time, there is now a creaking in the front end of my car when I turn the steering wheel. It sounds like a boat when it creaks as it goes back and forth in the water. I understand that when the transmission is taken out, it may affect the car's suspension. Did anyone who had their transmission replaced experience this kind of problem?
  • mikesmuranomikesmurano Member Posts: 118
    Folks!

Don't be fooled! Nissan is experiencing numerous problems with their CVT's but refuses to officially recall the very defective transmission design. Nissan has taken an "arrogant" position on this issue. My '03 Murano SE has had been in the shop 3 times with CVT problems the last was a total failure. The cost was $6300 @Carriage Nissan in Gainesville, GA. The warranty was extended to 120K but was worthless to me. The region Nissan rep. (Christy) refused any help and was rather rude to boot.

My advice is, if your Murano is approaching 120K miles get rid of it! The CVT is a ticking time bomb. If your dilemma is similar to mine I am filing a complaint with: NTSB; federal and state consumer protection agencies; and, Nissan of Japan.

Warning!!! Get rid of that Murano and buy anything else!
    Mikesmurano you couldn't be more on the money. We got rid of our 2004 Murano too. I was sad, because I really did like the vehicle. I filed a complaint with NTSB too, but so far no luck. I don't understand, Toyota issues a mass recall, but Nissan doesn't? The 2003 and 2004 Murano's have a known problem with the CVT and transfer case. My husband is lucky he wasn't on the interstate when his transfer case cracked and came to an immediate halt with no warning. All I can think is Nissan has more lobbyists in Washington than Toyota.

Oh and yes they are very rude at Nissan Corporate.
  • igmigm Member Posts: 3
    Very disappointing & sad to hear this...You confirmed the same issues I've had recently (as well as other Nissan new car owners of late).

Looks like a significant number of CVT and Front Transfer Case (cracks/fractures) issues from late models all the way up to my 2005.

Nissan Tom Naquin & Corporate were not helpful at all & blamed lack of oil change on my fractured Transfer Case. This - even after a loose electrical cable locked me on AWD for awhile a few months prior to this incident & my maintenance manual never mentioned any required oil changes per Schedules 1 & 2.

Then, my the trans ratio/engine rpm does not shift (at full throttle) after they replaced my fractured Transfer Case.
  • dduke1dduke1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 04' Murano April 2009 and it it has about 977,000 miles on it. I fell in love with this model. I had always liked Nissan's designs and thought that they were a very trustworthy reputable company. My car has been doing the surge and losing power thing.....ever since I bought it. On the freeways, highways, and in town in heavy traffic and in freezing temps. I have taken the car in two times and the mechanic tells me that he can not see an error code. To bring the car back the next time it happens again. I did and he thought that he fixed it that time. My friend drove it with her children to pick me up from the airport and it started to do that losing power thing on the freeway. This is really dangerous! My friends have been with me on a road trip out of town and we weren't sure if we would make it home. The vehicle just decides it will not move forward or backward, or it will move, but very slowly and builds speed and surges forward! I finally had the car towed about 10 days ago to the place where I bought it. The car came with a warranty for 100,000 miles, with a $200.00 deductible. The mechanic told me that I need a new Transmission Valve Body and he sent the car down the street to the Nissan dealership. This car has been very dangerous. I think Nissan should own their problem. I really am disappointed in this whole situation and with Nissan.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35372655/ns/business-autos

Yes Toyota is stepping up to the plate, it's a shame Nissan is not. I think people can be more forgiving when one admits they screwed up, instead of ducking the issue. I'm still bitter about spending $4,500 to replace the transfer case on a vehicle w/ 77,000 miles and worth about $14,000.
  • jdc630jdc630 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 awd and have had it since new. Liek everyone says, it's a great car. But...Right around 75k miles we've been having issues in the front end. The dealer replaced the left axle and that helped some of the vibration but the right wheel shudders and vibrates excessievly when turning left under acceleration and also going straight when it is cold. I've had it to one dealer 3 times and he admits something feels wrong but he says everything checks out OK and they can't find anything wrong. This morning there was a small puddle of trans fluid on the garage floor. I'm going to bring it to another dealer later today.

What I'm wondering is what kinds of symtoms did everyone have before failure and/or replacement?
  • unhappy34unhappy34 Member Posts: 8
    We recently had to have the seal replaced on our transmission in our 2003 Murano. We didn't have any problems with the transmission just noticed an odor that shouldn't be there. It was covered under the extended warranty. So far so good. However we had many visits to the dealer to take care of a leak in the transfer case. Those were on us. We were just happy they didn't have to replace the transfer case.

Good luck. Great cars but not worth the stress and aggrevation.
  • jdc630jdc630 Member Posts: 2
    Well, it's at the dealer now. I rented a car and left the Murano there for them to figure it out. I'll post what they find out.

Funny thing is that I couldn't find any more leaking when I pulled into the dealer but there was certainly a lot on my garage floor this AM.
  • kellyd7kellyd7 Member Posts: 8
    I get asked a lot by non-Murano owners if I like my Murano. I say yes and no. When I first purchased the vehicle, I loved it. The ride was awsome, the pick-up smooth, no noises or rattles. I've owned my 2009 Murano for one year and six days. I hear rattles, the pick-up has really backed off, when I put the car in reverse and then switch to drive it hesitates and coasts backwards ever so slightly which makes me wonder each time if I'm going to hit whatever is behind me, my tires are terrible in snow and rain with barely 25K on the odometer, and rain sensing wipers are still my least favorite feature. Weirdly the Maxima did it right. When driving my mom's 2009 Maxima, the sensor knows when I want it to wipe at a speed consistent with the actual amount of rain hitting my windshield. And probably the biggest complaint is Nissan as a company. I owned and Audi prior to this vehicle and had nothing but electrical problems. Audi of course says "well, that's the way it is (aka sucks to be you)". I loved the car; the way it drove, the way it handled, it was just pure fun to drive and it looked damn good, too. BUT knowing how expensive that little car was in the end (every headlight, tail light, turnsignal was replaced at least 3 or 4 times; the windshield wiper motor was replaced twice; both front window--passenger and driver--regulators were replaced; the windshield wiper arm brackets corroded three times; on Memorial Day at 10:30 pm I broke down on the Ohio turnpike because the fuel pump went; and the best was the driver's side sunviser "broke"--it wouldn't stay in the up position so that was a sweet $326 to get fixed---this all happened in just the four years I owned the vehicle) .... I decided to buy a Nissan because my in-laws, my mother, and husband had always driven Nissan's so I thought, okay, this time I'm going to actually relax with the car and have a break from repairs. NOT SO. I took the car in for a simple oil change and low and behold there was service request out for the TPMS. They replaced all four sensors and for the first time the damn TPMS light stayed on continuously. Didn't matter if it was 12 degrees out or 50 degrees. I told the dealer who said it was a nail (it wasn't), then it was just because it's cold out. I said nope, something else is going on here. I drive 3 hours and the light never goes off? You'd think the tires would be warm by then and the light would go off. Nope. They still said it's because of the cold weather. I had the car to the garage four times for this. Called Nissan USA and I was "lucky" enough to be assigned and "advisor" that didn't sound old enough to have HER drivers license. No offense to women (I'm one), but when I ask to talk to to someone technical, don't give me an 18 year old girl unless she's worked on cars personnally. So of course this "bright" girl also said it was because it was cold out. This past weekend, my HUSBAND took the car for an oil change, tire rotation and asked for the TPMS to be checked again and what do you know!!!! One of the sensors was bad, they replaced it and so far so good. ERRR. No I would not buy another Nissan simply becuase NISSAN isn't like Toyota (not that I'd buy a Toyota) and stand up and say "we screwed up. let's fix this for you".
    edited February 2010
    I just saw your post today.

It is sad the we (Nissan customers) have to find solace and assistance on this forum.

I posted a new message announcing that I have sold my Murano. I regret not doing it sooner.

I plan to stay on this forum educating others and leading a revolution against Nissan. Since the NTSB and consumer agencies are not hearing the call it is time to take up action against Nissan.

My bet is that they will be next on the spot light.

I have recently been contacted about some pretty scary stories about injuries and accidents tied to the CVT problems. Things like the accelerating on its own and crashing. Injuring people. Etc.

Keeping the heat on Nissan!
    PLEASE read all of my posts on the Murano.

Also, I have two neighbors who purchased 2009 Muranos and are already having issues with acceleration and the CVT.

I sold my Murano back to the damn dealer. They wanted me to trade it for a new one. I said, "you gotta be frickin' joking."

Buy an Acura or a Toyota - I did!
    edited February 2010
    BTW, I found this email address.

Kevin.Martin@nissan-usa.com - VP of customer service in TN.

I am sending off the list of complaints and costly repairs. Maybe I'll get some action.

Keep in touch if you find another avenue to get Nissan to fess up.

Thanks.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    here is the proof that Nissan and Infiniti are one of the worst in the auto industry for dealership and corporate customer service!

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/2010-jd-power-csi-study/#2

if you guys email or write letters to Nissan make sure you either include this link or print it out and send it in with your letter and strongly recommend that Nissan and Infiniti improve their customer service!
    This is excellent.

Thanks!
  • bhurnbhurn Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2010
    My 2003 Murano AWD with 70k miles on it completely died two weeks ago. Froze up and came to a complete stop about a block away from my house. A month after I got the extended warrenty.

It took them two weeks to fix it (they've never once called with any updates, all phone call innitiated by me) and today they said it still won't start because the engine is shot. All this after a very recent oil change only 1k miles ago.

So what was covered is now estimated around $7k. They told me they will call corporate to see if they can get it covered and will take another 4 days to get back to me.

Is it possible that a transmission failure destroyed the engine?

I wasn't experiencing any engine stalls and I've kept that car as clean as possible. I'm considering having it towed somewhere else, just on principle.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    well I'm not sure but Nissan just extended the powertrain coverage to 10yrs/120k miles! if Nissan decides to be a jerk about it I'd sue them! the main reason they extended the warranty coverage was because of a lot people, like yourself who are having major troubles with the 1 Gen CVT transmission in the Murano! that was Nissan's first major attempt with the CVT and there were bound to be problems until they got all the kinks out and unfortunately you and others were at the reciprocating end of it!